Print Page | Close Window

Science Shows People Like Women With Less Makeup

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370369
Printed Date: Aug 15 2018 at 6:59pm

Topic: Science Shows People Like Women With Less Makeup
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Science Shows People Like Women With Less Makeup
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:03am
this article sort of piggyback off of Samone's thread

Science Shows:

People find women more attractive with less makeup

• http://time.com/author/alexandra-sifferlin/" rel="nofollow - Alexandra Sifferlin https://twitter.com/acsifferlin" rel="nofollow - @acsifferlin

Women should probably cool it with the eyeliner.

New research published in the Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology found that people’s perceptions of what men and women find attractive are off. And even though many women decide to wear makeup to make themselves “more” attractive, they may be overdoing it.

Researchers at Bangor University and Aberdeen University gave 44 women different types of foundation, lipstick, blush and mascara and then told them to put on makeup like they were going on a night out. The women were photographed before and after they put on any makeup. The researchers then altered the photographs so they had a range of 21 images of the women wearing various amounts of makeup.

The images were then shown to 44 Bangor University students, who were told to pick the photo that they thought was the most attractive, the photo they thought women would prefer and the photo men would prefer.

The image below is an example of the before and after makeup images.

Courtesy of Alex Lee Jones

The image below is an example of the series of images from less to more makeup.

Courtesy of Alex Lee Jones

Interestingly, the women liked images of the models wearing a bit more makeup than the men did. All of the participants assumed men would like the models with more makeup on than the women would, but that turned out to be untrue. Men and women both preferred the images of the models wearing 40% less makeup than they initially put on.

The researchers conclude that women are putting on makeup for a perceived standard of beauty that may not actually exist. “Taken together, these results suggest that women are likely wearing cosmetics to appeal to the mistaken preferences of others. These mistaken preferences seem more tied to the perceived expectancies of men, and, to a lesser degree, of women,” the authors wrote.

http://time.com/79584/science-women-less-makeup/

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/04/women-wear-too-much-makeup-because-they-mistakenly-think-men-want-them-to/361264/?google_editors_picks=true

Replies:
Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:04am
Truth! Reality supercedes perception everything.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:06am
Her makeup is horrible, tho so ya she looks betta without it.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Her makeup is horrible, tho so ya she looks betta without it.

Right.....grain of salt.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:09am
That first girl looks really good w/o makeup

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

hmmm...so i'm to start tailoring my looks for other folks?LOL  naw i'm good.  i'll keep my blue winged liner.

Thanks and Regards,
NewD.

Oh and i'm gone need them to find some subjects with skin issues, hyperpigmentation and bags n'sh*t and then ask what would people prefer.

Right.....this was a poorly done study imho

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:11am
hmmm...so i'm to start tailoring my looks for other folks?LOL  naw i'm good.  i'll keep my blue winged liner.

Thanks and Regards,
NewD.

Oh and i'm gone need them to find some subjects with skin issues, hyperpigmentation and bags n'sh*t and then ask what would people prefer.

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:16am
i think if it looks natural and enhances your face cool

some of the more dramatic looks (although they have a time and place) with the goofy looking eyebrows is a bit too much and can take away from a woman's natural beauty...just my opinion

but i side eye these 'studies' anyway...

SN: very pretty pic Mizz 00! Embarrassed

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:18am
So basically, everyone likes well-applied makeup that enhances your features, and no one likes cake faces and extra sh!t.

They needed a study to tell them that?

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by bg bg wrote:

i think if it looks natural and enhances your face cool

some of the more dramatic looks (although they have a time and place) with the goofy looking eyebrows is a bit too much and can take away from a woman's natural beauty...just my opinion

but i side eye these 'studies' anyway...

SN: very pretty pic Mizz 00! Embarrassed

ThanxEmbarrassed

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:22am
I knew BHM wouldn't approve...

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:24am
Shady...this was just one more piece of media tellin' women what they need to look like is all. 

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:32am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Shady...this was just one more piece of media tellin' women what they need to look like is all. 

I would say they gon learn, but I bet you somewhere there's a woman throwing half her stuff away cuz a "study" said men don't like it.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:35am
Quote The researchers conclude that women are putting on makeup for a perceived standard of beauty that may not actually exist.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

So basically, everyone likes well-applied makeup that enhances your features, and no one likes cake faces and extra sh!t.

Basically.LOL

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:53am

Its true to an extent.
A lot of guys will tell you they don't like makeup or weave either.

Some do some don't. I think the majority like a bare face or natural look.

Makeup is used for two reasons though... some use it to enhance...some use it to hide..

I agree with newdiva... they need to find women with severe hyperpigmentation and acne scars before they rule out makeup.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:54am
I have come to the realization that guys don't care how much weave or makeup a woman wears if it look good.....when we talk about too much weave and makeup to guys they are speaking about bad example and full on draggy looks......

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:58am
those makeup apps in the OP don't look all that great either...

that's another issue...

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

That first girl looks really good w/o makeup

IA

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:29pm

we only like clowns in the circus 

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Its true to an extent.

Makeup is used for two reasons though... some use it to enhance...some use it to hide..

I agree with newdiva... they need to find women with severe hyperpigmentation and acne scars before they rule out makeup.

Guys like the idea of saying their woman has no make-up and no weave. In their head their girl "woke up this way," knowing darn well it took a whole make-up bag and 3 bundles to achieve that look that has them drooling.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:51pm

i think real hair is preferred not because of the look but because at the end of the day they can run their fingers through it...

idk...

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:55pm
I know men who prefer no makeup/ natural makeup and almost all of those men want a woman with their own hair... yet have wives who were their fiancees who were their girlfriends who wear weaves during their whole relationship smh

Ive heard men say they want a down to earth girl, who's understanding and has real hair Confused they make that a quality

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:01pm
Outside or oral when is a dude running his hand through his girl hair...

I always hear that and im like when does this eva happen. Even wit a weave u can run ya fingers through it.

If scalp contact is that important put some oil on ya finger tips and make it worth both of our wild as u swerve those tracks.

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:01pm
I don't know a man that truly loves weave or makeup. Obviously they don't care what the women they love wears at the end of the day but every guy I know doesn't go crazy over long weave or dramatic makeup unless it's a celebrity. Even then they like the more simplistic women like Nia, Sanaa, & Halle. Not the ridiculous looking Black Chyna's.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:06pm
^^^^^^^U heard right. that's the excuse they all give.  Now u got natural sista's left, right and center only now for the "problem" to be she ain't got enough hurr.

eta: smh.  the "^^^^^^" was for modeless but The BHM decided to put my post above hers.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:07pm
wasnt there an article or story years ago about black men turning to other races and hair was one of the main factors

someone let me know if im making this up

ive heard this somewhere

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:09pm
Ive heard that before and the reason is a bullsh!t excuse.

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:28pm
Always makeup is nice but some look like a another person with makeup on... i still love makeup.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:29pm
men really don't know what they want 

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:27pm
That's nice but I like to assume women wear makeup to look how they please and not to please others. LOL I certainly do it for myself. Some days I'm clean, other days, I'm a painted art piece.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:55pm
Well, this is old news.

Of course men like less makeup on women. It's women that like more makeup on women and they will ohhh and ahh over it.

Same goes for clothes. Woman wear designer jeans etc .. but for men .. well, as long as you look presentable and show your figure in a nice way .. they don't care if you are wearing a 10,000 dollar dress or purse or a 20 dollar dress. It's OTHER WOMEN that are impressed with this crap.

A lot of women are spinning their wheels .. for nothing.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:57pm

Hee hee! That's whar I mean. They don't need a 'study' to find this out.

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Its true to an extent.

they dont like weave??? Now you've gone too damn far

Posted By: foxyroy19
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 6:01pm
GKisses has made my soul ache

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 6:05pm
smh..
why yall trippin on the weave part...

Print Page | Close Window