Print Page | Close Window

Ive always hated D.L. Hugley

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370350
Printed Date: Nov 22 2017 at 10:45pm

Topic: Ive always hated D.L. Hugley
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Subject: Ive always hated D.L. Hugley
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 4:55pm
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014/04/laugh-folks-abused-black-women-joke-day/" rel="nofollow -

by http://www.clutchmagonline.com/author/xojane/" rel="nofollow - xoJane Apr 28, 2014

What D.L. Hughley did on his radio show went past misogyny and into psychological abuse.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=knTo35KOZS2MCM&tbnid=eD1b8xOE25Dq2M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcomedyzone.com%2Findex2.php%3Faction%3Dshows%26id%3D856&ei=F9VeU4DAKMWKyASK3oC4Dw&bvm=bv.65397613,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNFWiY8oVEDygOxbNCQhb36yfumsBw&ust=1398810219148159" rel="nofollow">

By now most fans of “Scandal,” the ABC drama featuring Kerry Washington as D.C. fixer “Olivia Pope,” have heard the news that Columbus Short, who played “Harrison Wright” on the show, will not be returning for Season 4.

Though no reason was given, observers have made an educated guess that his swift exit at the height of the show’s popularity is due, in large part, to allegations made by his estranged wife, Tanee McCall Short, that he choked her and placed a knife to her throat, all while threatening to kill her then himself.

During a recent episode of his radio show, comedian D.L. Hughley, who once said that black women were http://www.forharriet.com/2012/11/on-dl-hughley-and-others-my-official.html?m=1" rel="nofollow -  the angriest people he’s ever met , weighed in on the story. This black man, who for some reason has been given a platform that reaches millions of people, used that platform to viciously attack McCall-Short by calling her a “thirsty bitch” and a “thirsty hoe,” who should have kept her mouth closed to get more money from her impending divorce.

“I think that broad shouldn’t be telling all his business if she gone take him to court,” said Hughley.

He dismisses the concerns of his female co-host, Jasmine Sanders, to converse with male co-host Steve Wilson because he has “nuts.” As Wilson intermittently laughs in the background, Hughley stops just short of calling McCall-Short a liar whose friends posed as witnesses to her abuse. “I don’t think you believe half the sh*t you saying right now, Jasmine,” said Hughley as Wilson laughed. “This bitch was thirsty. The bitch was thirsty. What, she gone go back to dancing? She gone f**k her money up?”

In a shockingly sexist move, he played the “emotional” card to silence Sanders, who continued to inject seriousness into the conversation, by repeatedly asking her what was wrong with her, even going so far as to feign concern and ask if she needed a hot water bottle.

Laugh it up, folks. Abused black women are the joke of the day.

What D.L. Hughley did on air to his female co-host and to every woman who has ever been a victim of domestic violence went well past the boundaries of misogyny and sexism, and into the realm of psychological and emotional abuse.

Not once did Hughley, a father of two daughters, give any weight to the allegations. Not once did he seriously denounce domestic violence or consider that Short’s wife was in very real danger. Instead, he called her a “thirsty hoe” and a “thirsty bitch” who should have kept her mouth shut.

“When you’re very young, you’re very volatile,” Hughley said. “I’ve been in situations where the police were called. I don’t believe that every time someone says something in the heat of anger, they actually mean it. Everybody want a thug dude, a passionate dude, until you gotta live with your mother in an undisclosed location. You know what kind of dude you picked. Stop it.” Sanders chimed in and said, “I don’t think that’s always the case.” Hughley’s response? “Well, you’re dumb.”

The entire segment should have come with a trigger warning.

According to the Institute of Domestic Violence In The African American Community  http://www.idvaac.org/media/publications/FactSheet.IDVAAC_AAPCFV-Community%20Insights.pdf" rel="nofollow - (IDVAAC ):

• As with other abusive men, African American men who batter are higher in jealousy and the need for power and control in the relationship.

• As with women of other races, among African American women killed by their partner, the lethal violence was more likely to occur if there had been incidents in which the partner had used or threatened to use a weapon on her and/or the partner has tried to choke or strangle her.

• Among African American women killed by their partner, almost half were killed while in the process of leaving the relationship, highlighting the need to take extra precautions at that time.

In “Ain’t I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism,” bell hooks spoke about the tendency within communities to silence female victims of male violence while showing unwavering support for the men who abused them and the reluctance to hold black men accountable. And it was Audre Lorde who spoke of black women being “particularly vulnerable to the false accusation that anti-sexist is anti-Black.”

D.L. Hughley is following in a long tradition of failing black women, and he owes all women who have been victims of domestic violence an apology. For every young woman who has ever been told to keep her mouth shut, he owes them an apology. For every woman who has ever been told that it was her fault, that she should have known that her attacker was violent, he owes an apology. For every Black woman who feels unprotected in her own community, and ashamed of being assaulted, he owes an apology. For every woman who remained silent for too long, whose fears were dismissed, and who, subsequently, ended up dead, he owes an apology.

Black America Web, which so brazenly titled the clip they ran: “Why Columbus Short’s Wife Should Keep Her Mouth Shut,” should also be held accountable. It’s not as if the site, which ironically ran an article on black women and domestic violence in last October, is oblivious to the very real dangers that black women face. And the fact that they know makes their willingness to ignore those painful, lived experiences for a cheap laugh even more egregious. Hughley’s comments and the site’s support of them, does nothing but add fuel to a blazing fire already filled with the discarded bodies of black women.

Black women have been silent. We are known to be loyal to men who abuse us without conscience and rape us without apology, all because of the fear of being cast as the villain.

And we cannot, we will not, be silent any longer.  We will continue to speak out and stand up — even if D.L. Hughley and other cowards like him refuse to stand with us.

XOJane

This post http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-i-got-a-facebook-request-from-the-father-i-dont-really-know" rel="nofollow -   http://www.xojane.com/issues/laugh-it-up-folks-abused-black-women-are-the-joke-of-the-day" rel="nofollow - originally appeared  on  http://www.xojane.com/" rel="nofollow - XOJane . Republished with permission. http://www.xojane.com/author/kirsten-west-savali-2" rel="nofollow - Click here for more  http://www.xojane.com/author/kirsten-west-savali-2" rel="nofollow - Kirsten West Savali  on XOJane!

Replies:
Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 4:58pm
He's so annoying.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:15pm
I have no idea how he was ever given any platform. He's not funny, smart, or otherwise interesting.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:21pm
I've always hated him too...he's such a bastard...not surprising that a black woman hating black man was the one given a political tv show like he's the voice of the people.  I'm glad that he's all the way off of tv now.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:23pm
I'm taping his new stand up this Saturday, i'll judge from that...

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:23pm
Wow

Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

lol You must be from the comic view generation, can't let this dusty negro go. 

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:26pm
He had a talk show on CNN and  one of his first guests  was a pimp character.....

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:28pm
he's like kevin hart. just loud

Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">lol You must be from the comic view generation, can't let this dusty negro go. </span>

Guilty

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:31pm
So what is he talking about that she fcuked up dating an abusive person?

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:32pm
that Brotha and chris webber always had awesome hair

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:43pm
I can't listen to him speak without cringing.  I can't imagine hearing him be ignorant in that voice.  So that's two kings who aren't worth a damn. Dead  At least the other two were/are always funnier. 

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 5:55pm
He's corney and not funny. He only entertains corney yt folks. He's still trying to be relevant. Boy bye.

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 6:02pm
I never thought he was funny.

He isn't very smart either. domestic violence is very serious, a lot of women stay because they have been manipulated and their self esteem has been stolen. With Columbus shorts wife, I don't know her situation, but nobody deserves to be abused.

DL is a dummy.

Posted By: nebhnebh
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 6:13pm
Thumbs Down

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 6:15pm
I hope he falls down and breaks his leg in 3 places Ermm

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 6:15pm
I weep for his daughters

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 6:36pm
Black people sell out so quick. Anything for money, fame, & white acceptance (only they THINK they accept them). The media is anti black and always has been but they make it even worse. I know those Jewish white men giggle like school girls when they catch another Brotha to do their dirty work for them on these shows. Too many "new blacks", no matter the situation it always ends up black vs black. Black folks stay losing.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 6:53pm
+1

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 6:58pm
A lot of his jokes are at the expense of black women, and he's not even remotely funny.

I don't even watch Kings of Comedy cuz I have to skip too much, including his lame ass.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 7:08pm
Ever since Black comedians found out that making fun of Black women makes people laugh... hard... they've never looked back

Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

A lot of his jokes are at the expense of black women, and he's not even remotely funny.

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 7:58pm

I don't even watch Kings of Comedy cuz I have to skip too much, including his lame ass.

Yessss i hated his part....he so damn lame

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 8:08pm

I only watch that for Cedric and Bernie.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 8:28pm
^^me too. I love me some Cedric. I hope he never f's up

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I only watch that for Cedric and Bernie.

Yup

That's all you need to watch! LOL

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 8:33pm
I just looked at when that came out.  It was 2000.  I feel old. LOL

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 8:44pm
That reminded me of this little video some chick posted on fb saying this joker was cute.  This child is scary.  

Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 9:07pm
Ima need Queesha to tell her BD to potty train lil man if he gone imitate all that

Posted By: StylingArabella
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 9:11pm
Child don't stand a chance.

Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 9:31pm
I know his parents aren't embarrassed but I'm embarrassed for them.  

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 9:37pm
Poor baby holds that bottle like a 40...damn shame.

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 9:43pm
i aint readin the article im lookin at some show on a black channel and ill be they annoucing that fool to the stage right nowLOL  i just came to say I DONT LIKE HIMSleepy

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:17am
So does he still have a black wife?

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:19am

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 8:28am
D.L Hugley is pretty cool, maybe a Lil bias but he is only talking about a certain type of black woman not all.

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:04am
I would beat the bricks of that child. No way my child is walking around with saggin pants. No Ma'am!!

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:13am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

D.L Hugley is pretty cool, maybe a Lil bias but he is only talking about a certain type of black woman not all.

You're extremely ignorant

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Journey94 Journey94 wrote:

Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

You're extremely ignorant

How so in an logical manner?

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:27am
I can't with him, he has a syndicated radio show here and I just turn the station.....

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 10:32am
OT...his hair is gorgeous in that pic....

Posted By: el_bandido
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 10:37am

Taping?LOL

Posted By: rsslove
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:13am
It's been a looooong time since I've been here in BHM, but anyway, I never cared much for this fool from the jump!

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:21am
Black women the butt of the joke?

i'm so shocked Unhappy

its disgusting that men like this have a platform to 'lift us up' as we are already the 'bottom of the barrel (NOT) according to these 'studies'

but no...why would they do that?

How can you tear down your women who are/look like your Mother, your Grandmother...your Aunties...the women that probably raised ya raggedy azz

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:32am
DL need to go suck a thick with pustules plague filled dicc.  His whole career is making fun of people...especially black women.  I remember his comic view days.  I never saw an instance where he couldn't get thru even a few minutes without picking on someone.  I understand front row harassment is a given at a comedy show but it shouldn't be all u got.  *shrugs* but hey...look where it's gotten him?

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:46am
Yall are kinda of proving his point though

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:58am
^^^not really.

We're responding to him saying some fucced up sh*t.  And then to disrespect and dismiss the only other female there like what she had to say didn't matter.  We aren't "angry" just to be angry. 

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 7:49pm
Phuck him and them struggling twists, he only been growing them for 14 years 

Posted By: greenttby
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 10:21pm
90's+ comic view + Def Comedy = Greenttby

I didn't know I wasn't suppose to like him. I didn't hear his show, but feel the need to YouTube his videos. Maybe I missed something. I'm old!

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by el_bandido el_bandido wrote:

Taping?LOL

Forget you Bandido, you know I meant recording

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 10:46pm
i probably should read again but other than the part where there's a non quote of him saying black women are the angriest people in the world (which i'll reference to see if these words actually came out his mouth), i didn't see any sweeping generalizations about black women in the article. 

i'll read again though.

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 10:50pm
ok. i saw the quote and now its confirmed. 

yup. 

Print Page | Close Window