Print Page | Close Window

230 girls abducted in Nigeria still missing

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370284
Printed Date: Dec 16 2018 at 11:24am

Topic: 230 girls abducted in Nigeria still missing
Posted By: tatee
Subject: 230 girls abducted in Nigeria still missing
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:08pm

230 girls abducted in Nigeria still missing

By http://bigstory.ap.org/content/haruna-umar" rel="nofollow - HARUNA UMAR and http://bigstory.ap.org/author/michelle-faul" rel="nofollow - MICHELLE FAUL
Apr. 22, 2014 9:37 AM EDT

CHIBOK, Nigeria (AP) — A week after Islamic extremists stormed a remote boarding school in northeast Nigeria, more than 200 girls and young women remain missing despite a "hot pursuit" by security forces and an independent search by desperate fathers who headed into a dangerous forest to find their daughters.

At Chibok, the scene of the attack, weeping parents cried on Monday, begging the kidnappers to "have mercy on our daughters," and for the government to rescue them. "I have not seen my dear daughter, she is a good girl," cried Musa Muka, whose 17-year-old Martha was taken away. "We plead with the government to help rescue her and her friends; we pray nothing happens to her."

Although at least 200 remain missing, dozens of the students managed to escape their captors, jumping from the back of an open truck after they were kidnapped in the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday last week or by running away and hiding in the dense forest. The number who escaped depends on whom you speak to — 39, 43, maybe more than 50.

The mass abduction is a major embarrassment for Nigeria's military, which had announced last week that security forces had rescued all but eight of those kidnapped — and then was forced to retract the statement. It came from Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade. "The operation is going on and we will continue to deploy more troops," Olukolade on Tuesday told The Associated Press, adding that air and land patrols are hunting for the students.

The Nigerian Air Force has halted what were near-daily air bombardments of the forest — presumably because of the kidnapped students. The extremists have abducted handfuls of students in recent months but this mass kidnapping is unprecedented.

Nigeria's military is already confronted by mounting criticism over its failure to curb the 5-year-old Islamic uprising despite having draconian powers under an 11-month state of emergency in three northeastern states covering one-sixth of the country. It seems every time the military trumpets a success in its "onslaught on terrorists," the extremists step up the tempo and deadliness of attacks. More than 1,500 people have been killed in the insurgency so far this year, compared to an estimated 3,600 between 2010 and 2013.

Military and government claims that the extremists were cornered in the remote northeast were shattered by a massive explosion April 14 at a bus station in Abuja, the capital in the center of the country, which killed at least 75 people and wounded 141.

The leader of the homegrown Boko Haram terrorist network, Abubakar Shekau, in a video received Saturday claimed responsibility for the Abuja bombing but said nothing about the kidnapped girls. Shekau repeated his opposition to "corrupting" Western influences, saying. "Everyone that calls himself a Muslim must stop obeying the constitution, must abandon democracy, must stay away from Western education." Boko Haram means "Western education is sinful" in the local Hausa language.

The Islamic insurgency has forced some 750,000 people including hundreds of thousands of farmers to flee their homes, raising fears of a food shortage. Refugees in neighboring countries said they were escaping militant attacks as well as the often brutal response of Nigeria's military.

In Chibok town, even the number of students abducted is in question. Education officials had said 129 — which was the number of students writing an exam. The girls had been recalled to write a physics exam as the school, and all schools in Borno state, were closed four weeks ago by the government because of the increased attacks. But as parents rushed from across Borno state to the boarding school , the number of missing grew. On Monday, parents gave the visiting Borno governor a list of 234 missing girls and young women, aged between 16 and 18.

School principal Asabe Kwambura told The Associated Press the number of students accounted for is 43 and the number missing is 230. The extremists set the school ablaze, leaving only burned-out shells.

As confidence in the military eroded, the parents and other Chibok residents pooled money to buy fuel for motorcycles and headed into the Sambisa Forest, a nearby known hideout of extremists.

A parent who did not give his name described the civilian search to Borno state Gov. Kashim Shettima when he visited Chibok on Monday. The father said they pursued the abductors some 50 kilometers (30 miles) deep into the forest, getting directions from villagers and a lone herdsman, who all said they had seen the girls. The father described thick forest with trees blocking the sun and sky. Then they came to a fork in the footpath and saw an elderly man.

"He confirmed to us that he saw our daughters, with their kidnappers. He said the girls were brought down from the truck and made to trek into the forest. He pointed to us the direction they took them, but warned us that if we ventured into that part of the forest without any security personnel we would all be killed together with our daughters."

At that point the search party returned to Chibok, he said. Some got lost in the forest and took three days to get back to the town on foot.

He said they never once encountered any soldiers. And the only security in Chibok is a handful of police officers, according to education officials.

___

Faul reported from Lagos, Nigeria. Associated Press writer Bashir Adigun contributed to this report from Abuja, Nigeria.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/230-girls-abducted-nigeria-still-missing

Replies:
Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:18pm
What's sad is I can just imagine the rape and physical assault that the girls are probably dealing with.

The government's inaction doesn't surprise me since they don't value girls in the first place.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

The mass abduction is a major embarrassment for Nigeria's military, which had announced last week that security forces had rescued all but eight of those kidnapped — and then was forced to retract the statement. It came from Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade. "The operation is going on and we will continue to deploy more troops," Olukolade on Tuesday told The Associated Press, adding that air and land patrols are hunting for the students.

Are they even looking that hard for them?Confused

16-18 y/o? Those poor girls are being victimized, sold off, and so on while the govt drags their feet smh.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 1:36pm
How can something like this happen???? I don't understand?

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 1:49pm
jesus...i feel terrible for those girls and their parents...to be that helpless

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

appalling...it's been a whole week...I can't imagine how terrified those girls must be right now

...the impotence of the nigerian govt and military is just mind-blowing

Cherry this is if they are still alive. The country is a blessing and a curse at the sametime.

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 3:24pm
i saw this in my newspaper and just couldnt read it. my word man! 

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 3:30pm
See this is why I should run a nation, Nigeria infrastructure is horrible.

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 7:45pm
Poor girls and their.parents, I wonder what their

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 7:56pm
Motivation.for taking them...ransom, political issues, etc

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

Motivation.for taking them...ransom, political issues, etc

Radical Muslims who don't believe in educating girls likely.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:32pm
That country is féd up! ... and don't say it's jjust in the north because it's 1 country for goodness sakes.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:34pm
oh lawd lawd lawdd

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:37pm
$12 to marry, rape and enslave these girls?CryCry

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 5:37pm
Cry

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 5:50pm
FEMALES/CHILDREN are always the ones who have the most crap happening to them, no matter where in this world...

so hoping/praying for ALL OF THEIR SAFE RETURNS....

Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 9:10pm
I attended a Bring Our Girls Back march (rally) in DC this weekend.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 10:15pm
Glad to see this posted here. Thanks OP. It is such a depressing situation. I really feel for those girls and the pain they are enduring. 

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 10:41pm
How can a country be so inept that these poor children are still missing? The Nigerian govt ain't @$&#. They aren't even sure the exact number of missing girls being forced into sham marriages.    What's NATO doing? what are we as a world going to do?    Protesting isn't enough at these point...

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 11:31pm
sounds like there is no control... what do they mean by marrying? if you kidnap someone you can't expect them to cook your food?

Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 12:16am
^'Marry' them and then rape and imprison them by force, violence, psychological abuse, isolation, etc.

I wouldn't call it a marriage tho. More like slavery. I think the marriage angle is a way for people to sanitize the horrible situation.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 12:57am
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

Glad to see this posted here. Thanks OP. It is such a depressing situation. I really feel for those girls and the pain they are enduring. 

Man, thinking about the north pisses me off beyond understanding. They do ish like this a lot.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:19am
How little they care.

Gunmen in northeast Nigeria abduct 8 more girls: police

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - - Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kidnapped eight girls aged 12 to 15 from a village near one of their strongholds in northeast Nigeria overnight, police and residents said on Tuesday.

"They were many, and all of them carried guns. They came in two vehicles painted in army color. They started shooting in our village," said Lazarus Musa, a resident of Warabe, where the attack happened.

A police source, who could not be named, said the girls were taken away on trucks, along with looted livestock and food. The Islamist rebels are still holding more than 200 girls they abducted from a secondary school on April 14.

(Reporting by Lanre Ola; Writing by Tim Cocks Editing by Jeremy Gaunt)

http://news.yahoo.com/gunmen-northeast-nigeria-abduct-8-more-girls-police-125108598.html" rel="nofollow - http://news.yahoo.com/gunmen-northeast-nigeria-abduct-8-more-girls-police-125108598.html

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:24am
i woke up pissed about this situation (1st thing i read in my daily paper) and meant to go search BHM for this thread (i thought cb and not tatee made it)

thanks CC!

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:24am
CC I just heard about the 8 this morning and couldn't believe it...When are the Nigerians going to ask for help?  Clearly they can't do squat.Angry

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:25am
I don't know why these is no real military action going on some off the books shyt. You know someone get me a ticket and I'll save those girls from those illiterate bastards.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:29am
Nigeria really is a failed state if they cannot protect their women.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:29am

the govt just doesn't care...
Supposedly the US is sending the FBI to help. Since this terror group has no oil strongholds(I'm guessing) something tells me it will be the B team we send. I hate people right about now.Ermm

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:36am
Forget the FBI--send in an elite sniper platoon.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:44am
I hope they are found safe

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:48am
I just don't believe in the FBI CB. I'm skeptical about everything. Thank you for the article!!Thumbs Up

OT-ish: As far as protecting women, most countries (Including the US) ain't winning when it comes to protecting women and our right not to be treated as second class citizens.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:49am

Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Forget the FBI--send in an elite sniper platoon.

ill-advised

Terrorists aren't going to negotiate.  They would rather kill those girls and themselves then give them up.  Hate to say this but attempting to free them by force is probably the only option at this point.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 11:00am
Nigeria has too much wealth and potential wealth to be in a state like this. I feel for those young girls.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 11:17am
Men who want control and power and make excuses to harm innocence is not only easy to understand but one thing can be done is wipe them out and their ideology.

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

How little they care.

Gunmen in northeast Nigeria abduct 8 more girls: police

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - - Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kidnapped eight girls aged 12 to 15 from a village near one of their strongholds in northeast Nigeria overnight, police and residents said on Tuesday.

"They were many, and all of them carried guns. They came in two vehicles painted in army color. They started shooting in our village," said Lazarus Musa, a resident of Warabe, where the attack happened.

A police source, who could not be named, said the girls were taken away on trucks, along with looted livestock and food. The Islamist rebels are still holding more than 200 girls they abducted from a secondary school on April 14.

(Reporting by Lanre Ola; Writing by Tim Cocks Editing by Jeremy Gaunt)

http://news.yahoo.com/gunmen-northeast-nigeria-abduct-8-more-girls-police-125108598.html" rel="nofollow - http://news.yahoo.com/gunmen-northeast-nigeria-abduct-8-more-girls-police-125108598.html

JESUS CHRIST! MORE????? WTF?
Let me get up to speed...

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 11:31am
White savior complex indeed...

another article...bolded parts for emphasis
http://whitepeoplesaidwhat.tumblr.com/post/84627038539/work-with-the-un-and-the-nigerian-government-to-bring" rel="nofollow - http://whitepeoplesaidwhat.tumblr.com/post/84627038539/work-with-the-un-and-the-nigerian-government-to-bring

Okay so I can see that this post doesn’t have that many notes, and people are still signing this petition so I’m going to reblog this again with a longer explanation. This petition is the one of the worst propositions I have ever seen, with regards to Nigeria. If you read the petition you will read that it basically calls for a foreign invasion/intervention of some kind by the United States. The situation in Nigeria is not something most people are well versed on. How many of you knew who Boko Haram were before this story became worldnews? Nigeria’s current situation with Boko Haram is incredibly complicated, it stems from a history of colonialism, inter-ethnic conflict and the fight for political power in Nigeria (religion is probably one of the last thing that genuinely influences groups like Boko Haram, if you look at Boko Haram you see that they have no respect for Islamic teachings or anything written in the Qu’ran). This situation is incredibly complex and fragile. Boko Haram have been ravaging Nigeria (mostly in the Northern States) for some years now, and they are brutal and ruthless, they have kill and maimed tens of thousands of people. In addition to the kidnapped girls we have just seen bombings in Abuja (Nigeria’s capital city). If we saw some kind of western intervention (especially if done by someone as ruthless and brutal as America’s military) our country would descend into absolute chaos. That is probably what Boko Haram wants, and guess who would suffer when Boko Haram decide to hit back against western involvement in Nigeria? Nigeria’s people (and especially those kidnapped girls). Foreign countries are not equipped to deal with Boko Haram because they have no understanding of Nigeria’s history and you just can’t solve a problem you only have surface level understanding of. The US of all countries, is not a nation who acts on altruistic notions, you can be rest assured that if America decides to stage some kind of intervention in Nigeria, it will be because there is some kind of benefit to them, and I highly doubt that any of this would benefit Nigeria’s people. How much discourse is there on tumblr of the problems of US imperialism? From Iraq, to Afghanistan, Haiti, to the DRC (and so many more nations), we have seen the utter devastation that befalls nations that the US gets involved in, entire nations, and peoples have been destroyed and that is why it astounds me that people would call on the US government of all things to “save Nigeria”. The person who wrote this petition (blogger  http://tmblr.co/miw0gp5senqbTQ6vFaBX5YQ" rel="nofollow - karnythia ​) is someone I have a lot of respect for, and I do not believe in any sense, that this was set up in malicious intent, but what I am seeing here is a manifestation of something similar to the “white savior complex”. This blogger is not Nigerian, and they have very little understanding of Nigeria’s history, and current situation, they are simply not knowledgeable enough to be coming up with solutions to a problem they do not even understand. 

I am a Nigerian woman, and Nigeria is the place I call home, Nigeria is not anyone’s pet project, and it is not the latest trend in activism. This is my home and these are my people, this is the lives of my family, my loved ones. What you are advocating for would most likely destroy our entire nation, and I don’t want to see my country, my family and all the things I know and love destroyed because people refused to listen to Nigerians speak about their own country. I definitely am not the ultimate source of knowledge of all facts to do with Nigeria, but I am relatively well versed on my countries history and current political situation, so trust me when I say that this is the worst possible thing to advocate for. This does not necessarily mean that Nigeria is totally opposed to outside help, but the direction has to come from Nigerians, not the other way around. It is great that I have seen so many people wish to stand in solidarity with Nigeria, and it is definitely something I am deeply grateful for. But you also have to understand that standing in solidarity is a lot to do with listening to Nigerians, you have to be willing to hear what we have to say. The people who need to be listened to the most are the people on ground, their are several activists and journalists who are risking their lives to report on this story and work and demand for progress. But often times I have seen people talking over them, their voices are being drowned out by people who - though they have good intentions, are speaking over them. We really have to tread carefully when it comes to Nigeria’s situation, because things are already so fragile, and the wrong move would see the whole country descend into chaos.

Please I am genuinely begging you, for the love of God stop signing this petition. I do not want to see my country turn into another nation totally destroyed by America’s government. Our own government is doing us enough harm already. 

http://lagos2bahia.tumblr.com/post/84324239867/everyone-is-an-expert-on-nigeria-now" rel="nofollow - Here  and  http://lagos2bahia.tumblr.com/post/84209811222/speaking-of-boko-haram" rel="nofollow - here  are two other great posts written on this issue.

P.S. if you have any questions you can send me a message on my personal blog  http://tmblr.co/mw4ADDLsfKGUSb4Av2Te4AA" rel="nofollow - lagos2bahia  

- Eniola 

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:43pm

who said anything about negotiation tbaby?

this is why I posted that article--I'm telling you as a nigerian that I know how these people operate

...we don't want americas muddy, blood-soaked boots marching across our country trying to bring "peace" and "save nigeria" when america doesn't even understand boko haram beyond the surface level

america (and the west in general) leaves destruction in it's wake (iraq, afghanistan, drc, haiti..the list goes on) and we don't want that thank you very much

Fair enough, even tho a bit dramatical. (didn't read your article but very interested in your personal point of view) 

I didn't say force had to come from the US or the "west" for that matter...  There are plenty of countries in AFRICA that should be handling this situation.  Yall need to clean up your own back yard.

Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

Nigeria has too much wealth and potential wealth to be in a state like this. I feel for those young girls.

Clap
My thoughts exactly but I hesitated to post this.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 2:49pm
Just read the last page, there is zero chance of American intervention to save little black girls. I'm not even sure who would think there would be the slightest chance for that.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 2:56pm
I read somewhere that Obama was indeed sending a team to assist the Nigerians. Not a 100% sure of the validity of this though.
CherryBlossom, what exactly should happen in your opinion? Because somebody has to do something. I was thinking other countries of the African Union but now you just said that Nigeria is usually the one to send help and not the other way around. You're also saying the gvt doesn't care. In the meantime, these girls are still being held against their will and raped...

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:34pm
thanks for those articles CC and CB.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 6:12pm
You are right, I stand corrected.

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I read somewhere that Obama was indeed sending a team to assist the Nigerians. Not a 100% sure of the validity of this though.

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Just read the last page, there is zero chance of American intervention to save little black girls. I'm not even sure who would think there would be the slightest chance for that.

where's Oprah....? wasnt she there buying schools and whatnot?
Im so angry at this mess

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:13pm
It is shocking that something like this is happening in 2014

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:31pm
Lifted from LSA. A very enlightening article on Boko Haram

Africa: U.S. Military Holds War Games on Nigeria, Somalia

Why did the U.S. government wargame the occupation of Nigeria?? Boko Haram financed by U.S. allies Saudi Arabia and Turkey??

Yes..Wikileaks in 2011 leaked the CIA is involved in creating Boko Haram..they hired unemployed Islamist extremists to work for them to destabilize Nigeria by 2015!

Oil and Natural Resources. Strategic positioning and destabilization. Nigeria is a crown jewel for the globalist cartels and they are using the same playbook to dominate the region.

"Among scenarios examined during the game were the possibility of direct American military intervention involving some 20,000 U.S. troops in order to "secure the oil," and the question of how to handle possible splits between factions within the Nigerian government."

In May 2008, the United States Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, hosted "Unified Quest 2008," the army's annual war games to test the American military's ability to deal with the kind of crises that it might face in the near future. "Unified Quest 2008" was especially noteworthy because it was the first time the war games included African scenarios as part of the Pentagon's plan to create a new military command for the continent: the Africa Command or Africom. No representatives of Africom were at the war games, but Africom officers were in close communication throughout the event.

General George W. Casey, Jr., left, chief of staff of the United States Army, with an American solider at Camp Lemonier, Djibouti, the only U.S. military base on African soil.

The five-day war games were designed to look at what crises might erupt in different parts of the world in five to 25 years and how the United States might handle them. In addition to U.S. military officers and intelligence officers, "Unified Quest 2008" brought together participants from the State Department and other U.S. government agencies, academics, journalists, and foreign military officers (including military representatives from several NATO countries, Australia, and Israel), along with the private military contractors who helped run the war games: the Rand Corporation and Booz-Allen.

One of the four scenarios that were war-gamed was a test of how Africom could respond to a crisis in Somalia — set in 2025 — caused by escalating insurgency and piracy. Unfortunately, no information on the details of the scenario is available.

Far more information is available on the other scenario — set in 2013 — which was a test of how Africom could respond to a crisis in Nigeria in which the Nigerian government is near collapse, and rival factions and rebels are fighting for control of the oil fields of the Niger Delta and vying for power in the country which is the sixth largest supplier of America's oil imports.

The list of options for the Nigeria scenario ranged from diplomatic pressure to military action, with or without the aid of European and African nations. One participant, U.S. Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel Mark Stanovich, drew up a plan that called for the deployment of thousands of U.S. troops within 60 days, which even he thought was undesirable. "American intervention could send the wrong message: that we are backing a government that we don't intend to," Stanovich said. Other participants suggested that it would be better if the U.S. government sent a request to South Africa or Ghana to send troops into Nigeria instead.

As the game progressed, according to former U.S. ambassador David Lyon, it became clear that the government of Nigeria was a large part of the problem. As he put it, "we have a circle of elites [the government of Nigeria] who have seized resources and are trying to perpetuate themselves. Their interests are not exactly those of the people."

Furthermore, according to U.S. Army Major Robert Thornton, an officer with the Joint Center for International Security Force Assistance at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, "it became apparent that it was actually green (the host nation government) which had the initiative, and that any blue [the U.S. government and its allies] actions within the frame were contingent upon what green was willing to tolerate and accommodate."

Among scenarios examined during the game were the possibility of direct American military intervention involving some 20,000 U.S. troops in order to "secure the oil," and the question of how to handle possible splits between factions within the Nigerian government. The game ended without military intervention because one of the rival factions executed a successful coup and formed a new government that sought stability.

The recommendations which the participants drew up for the Army's Chief of Staff, General George Casey, do not appear to be publicly available, so we don't know exactly what the participants finally concluded. But we do know that since the war games took place in the midst of the presidential election campaign, General Casey decided to brief both John McCain and Barack Obama on its results.

The African Security Research Project has prepared reports providing detailed information on the creation, missions, and activities of Africom. In particular, they reveal that neither the commander of Africom, General William Ward, nor his deputy, Vice Admiral Robert Moeller, are under any illusions about the purpose of the new command.

Thus, when General Ward appeared before the House Armed Services Committee on March 13, 2008, he cited America's growing dependence on African oil as a priority issue for Africom and went on to proclaim that combating terrorism would be "Africom's number one theater-wide goal." He barely mentioned development, humanitarian aid, peacekeeping or conflict resolution.

And in a presentation by Vice Admiral Moeller at an Africom conference held at Fort McNair on February 18, 2008 and subsequently posted on the web by the Pentagon, he declared that protecting "the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market" was one of Africom's "guiding principles" and specifically cited "oil disruption," "terrorism," and the "growing influence" of China as major "challenges" to U.S. interests in Africa.

Since then, as General Ward has demonstrated in an interview with AllAfrica, he has become more adept at sticking to the U.S. government's official public position on Africom's aims and on its escalating military operations on the African continent.

These activities currently include supervising U.S. arms sales, military training programs and military exercises; overseeing the growing presence of U.S. naval forces in the oil-rich Gulf of Guinea and off the coast of Somalia; running the new U.S. base at Camp Lemonier in Djibouti; and managing the array of African military bases to which the United States has acquired access under agreements with the host governments of African countries all over the continent. These countries include Algeria, Botswana, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, São Tomé, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Tunisia, Uganda, and Zambia.

We can only wonder what Barack Obama thought of the war game and what lessons he learned from General Casey's briefing. One might hope that he came away with a new appreciation for the danger, if not the outright absurdity, of pursuing the strategy of unilateral American military intervention in Africa pioneered by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who was retained as Defense Secretary by President Obama when he took office, and General Casey, who has also kept his job under the new administration.

But President Obama has decided instead to expand the operations of Africom throughout the continent. He has proposed a budget for financial year 2010 that will provide increased security assistance to repressive and undemocratic governments in resource-rich countries like Nigeria, Niger, Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and to countries that are key military allies of the United States like Ethiopia, Kenya, Djibouti, Rwanda and Uganda.

And he has actually chosen to escalate U.S. military intervention in Africa, most conspicuously by providing arms and training to the beleaguered Transitional Federal Government of Somalia, as part of his effort to make Africa a central battlefield in the "global war on terrorism." So it is clearly wishful thinking to believe that his exposure to the real risks of such a strategy revealed by these hypothetical scenarios gave him a better appreciation of the risks that the strategy entails.

Daniel Volman is director of the African Security Research Project in Washington, DC and a member of the board of directors of the Association of Concerned Africa Scholars. He has been studying U.S. security policy toward Africa and U.S. military activities in Africa for more than 30 years.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:35pm

God bless President Obama . The President sent special forces to find the children . Today a fool came into the private entrance with the president children after school, but he refuse to stop his military powers to help the missing girls . I can't believe more girls are missing. Praying . 

BREAKING NEWS

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/06/world/africa/nigeria-abducted-girls/index.html?hpt=hp_t1" rel="nofollow - More young girls abducted in Nigeria

Watch this video http://www.cnn.com/?hpt=sitenav#" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 11:20am

Hundreds killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria - report

Published time: May 07, 2014 13:05
Edited time: May 07, 2014 14:10
http://rt.com/news/157392-nigeria-boko-killed-attack/" rel="nofollow - Get short URL
A grab made on May 5, 2014 from a video obtained by AFP shows the leader of the Islamist extremist group Boko Haram Abubakar Shekau (C) delivering a speech. (AFP Photo)

A grab made on May 5, 2014 from a video obtained by AFP shows the leader of the Islamist extremist group Boko Haram Abubakar Shekau (C) delivering a speech. (AFP Photo)

Tags

http://rt.com/tags/africa/" rel="nofollow - Africa , http://rt.com/tags/religion/" rel="nofollow - Religion , http://rt.com/tags/shooting/" rel="nofollow - Shooting , http://rt.com/tags/terrorism/" rel="nofollow - Terrorism , http://rt.com/tags/violence/" rel="nofollow - Violence

At least 300 people were killed in a northeastern Nigerian town on the Cameroon border in the latest attack by Islamist militant group Boko Haram, AFP reports, citing a local senator and witnesses.

The attack on Gamboru Ngala took place Monday night, but the official death toll was first reported Wednesday in the national newspaper The Daily Trust, which put it at 200 people and counting.

Area senator Ahmed Zanna now tells AFP that "the death toll from the attack is around 300" and "property has been razed." Residents say over one hundred bodies have been collected so far and that this not the final toll yet.

"Since morning, our people have been conducting funerals for the dead and up to 8pm (last night) they are not done yet. There’s no family that is not affected in Gamboru," federal lawmaker from the area, Abdulrahman Terab, told The Daily Trust.

The militants had entered the village of Gamboru in armored vehicles, on motorcycles, and with pick-up trucks.

“The attackers stormed the communities in the night when residents were still sleeping, setting ablaze houses and shooting residents who tried to escape from the fire,’” Senator Ahmed Zannah said in a BBC Hausa report Tuesday.

Among the dead were some 16 policemen.

Boko Haram means “Western education is forbidden” and the group, which wants to establish an Islamic state in Nigeria, frequently stages attacks.

The sect has been growing bolder in recent months. More than 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped by the group three weeks ago, with the leader threatening to sell them into slavery. A $300,000 cash reward has since been offered by the police for their recovery.

The kidnapping occurred the same day as an explosion which killed 75 people on the outskirts of the capital Abuja – the first on the city in some two years. So far this year, the group has been responsible for some 1,500 deaths.

The US and UK have both stated their intent to help find the kidnapped girls. The US his sending experts to Abuja while Britian has stated that it is ready to go further and dispatch military troops in the form of special forces and intelligence gathering aircraft.

http://rt.com/news/157392-nigeria-boko-killed-attack/" rel="nofollow - http://rt.com/news/157392-nigeria-boko-killed-attack/

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:12pm
US offering 7 million dollar bounty on the head of the Islamist militant group Boko Haram,
is huge espescially when the selling of one girl nets $12 in that area. He'll be turned in by his own men.
Hopefully this will deter such kidnappings in the future.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 8:29am
This is so daggone sad. I have a video on my phone with what they are doing to the girls. Some are killed and some are turned to sex slaves. Its super graphic. The Islamist groups dig a hole and bury the girls all they way up to their neck. Then use stones to throw at their heads until they die. Sigh. Its just sad!!!

I couldn't even watch the video I had to ask for the summary. Just WHY???????? These people need to be sniped. Yes I agree America should go there and find these idiots.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 8:51am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

This is so daggone sad. I have a video on my phone with what they are doing to the girls. Some are killed and some are turned to sex slaves. Its super graphic. The Islamist groups dig a hole and bury the girls all they way up to their neck. Then use stones to throw at their heads until they die. Sigh. Its just sad!!!

I couldn't even watch the video I had to ask for the summary. Just WHY???????? These people need to be sniped. Yes I agree America should go there and find these idiots.
 CryCryCry I can't believe this is happening.

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 8:54am
No please say this is not happening I could not imagine this is still going on...being raised in America I'm so green..so sad this breaks my heart!!! 

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:36am
Im so freaking mad. I asked my friend that just came back on Saturday if anything was going on in Nigeria about the missing girl he said nope. Its just recently as of this week that everyone is even getting involved.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:38am

Im so freaking mad. I asked my friend that just came back on Saturday if anything was going on in Nigeria about the missing girl he said nope. Its just recently as of this week that everyone is even getting involved.

Frightening 

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:41am
I don't even have the heart to watch the video. I just asked for the summry.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 11:04am

Jesus!!! I hope they get killed when they are found. Bastards.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 12:35pm
Backing: Celebrities including Mary J Blige have joined a worldwide social media campaign putting pressure on the Nigerian government to bring the girls back
Michelle Obama shared this photo of herself along with the caption Our prayers are with the missing Nigerian girls and their families.
Leona Lewis holds a piece of paper with the message on while standing in a corridor
Amy Poehler and Malala Yousafzai tweeted their support for the Bring Back Our Girls campaign
Kevin Frazier and Thea Andrews, co-hosts of The Insider, shared this photo via Twitter

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 12:44pm
i'm so mad at that jacked up country.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 2:54pm
ethiopienne

“Your calls for the United States to get involved in this crisis undermines the democratic process in Nigeria and co-opts the growing movement against the inept and kleptocratic Jonathan administration. It was Nigerians who took their good for nothing President to task and challenged him to address the plight of the missing girls. It is in their hands to seek justice for these girls and to ensure that the Nigerian government is held accountable. Your emphasis on U.S. action does more harm to the people you are supposedly trying to help and it only expands and sustain U.S. military might.
If you must do something, learn more about the amazing activists and journalists…who have risked arrests and their lives as they challenge the Nigerian government to do better for its people within the democratic process. If you must tweet, tweet to support and embolden them, don’t direct your calls to action to the United States government who seeks to only embolden American militarism. Don’t join the American government and military in co-opting this movement started and sustained by Nigerians.”
—      Dear Americans, Your Hashtags Won’t #BringBackOurGirls. You Might Actually Be Making Things Worse.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 10:58pm
^^Sorry, but that blogger seems more worried about a US military presence then for the welfare of 270 girls and the slaughter of 300 villagers in 1 day by the hands of these extremist killers...

I fail to see how things can get worse by shining a blaring international light on the human rights crisis in Nigeria thru the internet. 

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

^^Sorry, but that blogger seems more worried about a US military presence then for the welfare of 270 girls and the slaughter of 300 villagers in 1 day by the hands of these extremist killers...

I fail to see how things can get worse by shining a blaring international light on the human rights crisis in Nigeria thru the internet. 

this, they need to remove head from ass.

those girls need to be brought back by any means necessary

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 1:57am
uhm...based on what my friend in Nigeria has told me ain't nobody emboldened by this story nor were they working hard to find these girls...she simply told me nobody cared bc it was "up North."

Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 2:53am

pity, I believe it...that's what one of my relatives was saying the other day too.."the govt. don't care..they'll say oh 'it's just muslims up north killing each other'"

Man, I was already telling someone this is nice and all. But Nigeria needs to take care of it's own. I feel America keeps trying save everybody. America needs to mind it's own. The only thing we can do is seceded. I'm really getting tired of the north, I'm feeling pretty numb about 90% of them. 

BTW they have been kidnapping young girls for a while now. 

Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 2:55am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

[QUOTE=Tbaby]^^Sorry, but that blogger seems more worried about a US military presence then for the welfare of 270 girls and the slaughter of 300 villagers in 1 day by the hands of these extremist killers...

this, they need to remove head from ass.  Who is they?

those girls need to be brought back by any means necessary
[/QUOTE

I guess because maybe he is used to it. I know that may sound cold but the north has been doing this for a while. Ever since the Europeans left them in charge it's been pretty much bad blood. Every time a white man puts his hands in to our pot he spoils it. So that is why there is so much hesitation in involving them. 

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:22am
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

This is why I feel America is really getting involved.  Not because of those poor girls.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:45am
Originally posted by Missvw Missvw wrote:

CryCryCry I can't believe this is happening.

Oh I can.

It's a backward culture (not meaning to offend) but those extremist muslums are crazy.

If I was living in that area I would have packed and moved to a grass hut somewhere a long time ago to avoid being within sight of those crazies.

I hope ALL the women leave so .. then they have no females to harrass and they can have sex with each other! The creeps!

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:55am
What I want to do to the kidnappers...

http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/123ilikefood123/media/iLD1Yc9Kzaz5E_zpse874dbcf.gif.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 9:53am
ummmm...im getting the impression that Nigeria doesn't really care to bring the girls back. 

Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 10:21am
Goodm 3, I'm under the same impression the govt doesn't care.Disapprove

Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 4:16pm
look at this pasty she devil mongrel

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 4:30pm
^^ I can not stand those people!!! Gosh I need therapy or something because I can't even explain the feeling I get when I have to see them, hear them, exist with them. *breathes slow*

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 4:45pm
CNN was in bed with her.

Posted By: nebhnebh
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 4:54pm
I saw her on CNN, she had curly hair, talking about how her 11 yr old daughter begged her not to go to Nigeria.  SMH - She clearly stated that she started #bringbackourgirls.

Who started it?

Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:00pm

So let’s take a look at the origins of #bringbackourgirls.

According to the Wall Street Journal and Twitter’s own search tool, which was readily available for CNN and ABC to use for research, #bringbackourgirls was first used by Ibrahim Musa Abdullahi, a 35-year-old Nigerian attorney in the capital, Abuja. Abdullahi said he first heard the chant while watching World Bank Vice President Obiageli Ezekwesili give a speech during the celebration of Port Harcourt’s year as the United Nations’ world book capital. During the speech, Ezekwesili led the crowd into a chant of “bring back our daughters.” And it was then that Abdullahi took to Twitter and formed the hashtag “bring back our girls” on April 23.

Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:09pm

Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:10pm
She is such a bish. Trying to gain fame in such a tragic situation. CNN should fact check before embarrassing themselves.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:15pm
YT stay trying it. I know my views are different being from the West but if it takes YT(The West) being the savior to get those girls back, I'm for that because this should not be happening to anyone on earth. What's most important to me, is seeing the girls brought home but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. How many more will there be? Nigerians please explain the method the Nigerian government is using.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:16pm
CryCryCryCryCry

Posted By: nebhnebh
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

So let’s take a look at the origins of #bringbackourgirls.

According to the Wall Street Journal and Twitter’s own search tool, which was readily available for CNN and ABC to use for research, #bringbackourgirls was first used by Ibrahim Musa Abdullahi, a 35-year-old Nigerian attorney in the capital, Abuja. Abdullahi said he first heard the chant while watching World Bank Vice President Obiageli Ezekwesili give a speech during the celebration of Port Harcourt’s year as the United Nations’ world book capital. During the speech, Ezekwesili led the crowd into a chant of “bring back our daughters.” And it was then that Abdullahi took to Twitter and formed the hashtag “bring back our girls” on April 23.

Thanks Afro

Posted By: Guidette
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:21pm

I saw that video too last night and couldn't watch it I cried and it upset me AngryCry

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:23pm
Those sick, sick, sick people need to be exterminated.

It's not right the things people in this world have to go through.

Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:25pm

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:42pm
Well, white people ain't never been sh*t and steady stealing our sh*t so I ain't surprised.

Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Guidette Guidette wrote:

I saw that video too last night and couldn't watch it I cried and it upset me AngryCry

Girl I turned it off when I saw the little girl trying to peek out of the potato sack bag. I didn't get past that. I didn't want nightmares.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: May 09 2014 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

#i'llwait

Date Posted: May 10 2014 at 5:01am
for?^

Posted By: Guidette
Date Posted: May 10 2014 at 6:42am

Girl I turned it off when I saw the little girl trying to peek out of the potato sack bag. I didn't get past that. I didn't want nightmares.

I had no clue what was going on and skipped to the end...Why did I do thatCryCryCryCryCry

Posted By: Bekah
Date Posted: May 10 2014 at 9:15am

I had no clue what was going on and skipped to the end...Why did I do thatCryCryCryCryCry

http://observers.france24.com/content/20140509-nigeria-fake-video-schoolgirl-stoning-somalia" rel="nofollow - http://observers.france24.com/content/20140509-nigeria-fake-video-schoolgirl-stoning-somalia

Posted By: Soratachi
Date Posted: May 11 2014 at 6:49am
If my country can not get those girl back. I'll take the  US sending special forces to get this girl back. I can't stand political games in this situation.

Date Posted: May 21 2014 at 2:41pm

Obama: 80 US troops in Chad seeking abducted girls

By Associated Press12:34 p.m.May 21, 2014

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says the U.S. has deployed 80 military personnel to Chad to help located more than 200 girls kidnapped in Nigeria.

Obama has sent a letter to House Speaker John Boehner and to the Senate notifying lawmakers about the steps underway to assist in the return of the abducted girls.

Obama says the service members will help with intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft for missions over northern Nigeria. He says the force will stay in Chad until its support is no longer necessary. Chad shares a portion of its western border with northeastern Nigeria.

The girls were kidnapped last month by an Islamic extremist group known as Boko Haram.

© Copyright 2014 The San Diego Union-Tribune, LLC. An MLIM LLC Company. All rights reserved.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/may/21/obama-80-us-troops-in-chad-seeking-abducted-girls/" rel="nofollow - http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/may/21/obama-80-us-troops-in-chad-seeking-abducted-girls/

Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 3:25am

Apparently .. Too dangerous to free them

Riiiight

Posted By: Soratachi
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 3:36am
Please God save them.

Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 3:40am
those extremist's can;t be harming these precious girls if they want in return those prisoned men they want in exchange...right? ...so sad...so sad...i seriously hope the US can help get these girls back...i mean hey if we can find Hussein and Osama bin laden...then there should be no problems whatsoever getting these girls back..

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:48am
I just heard on the radio that the nigerian troops found the girls but they can't save them cause it's too dangerous.. BS..

Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:55am
what????? BULLISH IS RIGHT...they probably knew all along where those girls were IMO...so send in the folks who came to help to save those girls'....

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 8:11am
i immediately knew that fundraiser was fake. Money for what? Yall aint even doing your fcking job and you want me to send your azz money??

These events are making me see how massively incompetent many countries are. From malaysia's mh370- bullshting around, making concrete factual statements,then retracting statements, dragging their feet
south korea's sewol ferry- taking there sweet time getting into the ferry. They took like three days before they decided to break into the ferry. rejecting the help of other countries, especially countries like japan because they have political beef. Then after damn near a week and a half and realizing they are indeed incompetent they start accepting help.

And now this kidnapping- its been a freaking month! With a massive amount of girls like that you would think it would be that much easier to find them. It must be difficult to move so many people. Nigeria is clearly dragging their feet. US would have found those girls within a damn week. Why are these countries so incompetent??

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 8:27am
These poor girls

I can't even begin to imagine the constant fear that they, their family, and others in that area are feeling. So sad

Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 9:33am
I think it's foolish to announce they are found prior to attempting to rescue them.

Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 10:59am

This the same Nigerian government that claimed they rescued them last month, got caught in their lie and had to tell the truth but now we should like, totally believe them that they found all the girls but they can't save them because it's too dangerous? But it is safe enough for the government to announce it to the world? GTFOHWTBS!

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

i mean hey if we can find Hussein and Osama bin laden...then there should be no problems whatsoever getting these girls back..
im sorry but LOL

Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

i mean hey if we can find Hussein and Osama bin laden...then there should be no problems whatsoever getting these girls back..
im sorry but LOL

i am so upset over this overdue rescuing of these innocent girls i probably got the cow by the tail trying to make a point..Unhappy

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 11:49am

Report: More Than 60 Nigerian Girls Escape Boko Haram Captors

• http://time.com/author/stephanie-burnett/" rel="nofollow - Stephanie Burnett https://twitter.com/stephy_burnett" rel="nofollow - @stephy_burnett
NIGERIA-UNREST-BLAST People gather near burned vehicles by the crowded Monday Market in Maiduguri, Nigeria, on July 1, 2014 AFP—Getty Images

The daring escape comes after days of heavy fighting in northeast Nigeria

More than 60 girls and women kidnapped in northeast Nigeria last month by suspected Islamist militant group Boko Haram have reportedly http://news.yahoo.com/more-60-women-girls-escape-islamist-abductors-nigeria-221402703.html;_ylt=AwrBJR4By7lTtkUA5OfQtDMD" rel="nofollow - fled their captors.

Their escape was confirmed to news agency AFP by a high-level though unnamed security source in the restive Borno state.

A local vigilante, Abbas Gava, also said he had “received an alert from my colleagues … that about 63 of the abducted women and girls had made it back home.”

More than 200 schoolgirls abducted in April are still being held by Boko Haram, which seeks to establish a fundamentalist Islamic state in the country’s north.

The development follows Friday’s clashes between Nigerian soldiers and Boko Haram militants in Borno. At least 50 insurgents were killed as the Nigerian military repelled an attack on its military base in the town of Damboa, said the Defense Ministry on Saturday.

Six Nigerian soldiers, including the commanding officer, died during the fighting, said Defense Ministry spokesman Major General Chris Olukolade.

An officer who requested anonymity http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nigeria-soldiers-repel-attack-military-base" rel="nofollow - told the AP that the raid appeared to be a reprisal attack by Boko Haram after the Nigerian military carried out devastating air strikes 24 hours earlier.

http://time.com/2960944/report-more-than-60-nigerian-girls-escape-boko-haram-captors/

Print Page | Close Window