Print Page | Close Window

We have to teach boys to handle rejection better

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370282
Printed Date: Apr 22 2018 at 2:02am

Topic: We have to teach boys to handle rejection better
Posted By: tatee
Subject: We have to teach boys to handle rejection better
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:32am

High School Girl Reportedly Stabbed to Death Over Prom Rejection

http://jayhathaway.kinja.com" rel="nofollow - http://jayhathaway.kinja.com" rel="nofollow - Jay Hathaway

High School Girl Reportedly Stabbed to Death Over Prom RejectionExpand

A Connecticut high school went on lockdown early this morning after a female student was http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/25/connecticut-high-school-on-lockdown-after-report-stabbing/" rel="nofollow - stabbed to death by a classmate, reportedly because she rejected his request to go to prom with him tonight.

Teachers and emergency responders at Jonathan Law High School in Milford, Conn., tried to save the life of 16-year-old Maren Sanchez, but she was pronounced dead after being transported to Bridgeport Hospital. No one else was injured in the attack.

The suspect, also a 16-year-old student, is in police custody after teachers subdued him.

A student witness told Fox News that the attacker asked Sanchez to prom inside a stairwell at the school. When Sanchez, who had a boyfriend, turned him down, the suspect started to strangle her, then pushed her down the stairs and stabbed her.

Students were sent home after the incident, and the dance has been postponed.

http://gawker.com/high-school-girl-reportedly-stabbed-to-death-over-prom-1567604517

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/25/connecticut-high-school-on-lockdown-after-report-stabbing/

Replies:
Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:36am
What in the world?ShockedUnhappy

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:40am
That boy was already nuts prior to being rejected

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:41am
I hope he is tried as an adult.

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:42am
Lord, you can't even say no to prom now. smh

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:44am
I just saw a pic of him with her and he looks like one of those weird teenagers who would go off. Sad situation but I dont remember anybody at my high school stabbing a girl who rejected him. Normal boys get rejected everyday and move on.

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

I just saw a pic of him with her and he looks like one of those weird teenagers who would go off. Sad situation but I dont remember anybody at my high school stabbing a girl who rejected him. Normal boys get rejected everyday and move on.
Imagine if he hadn't reacted then and had time to go home and think up a master plan.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:53am
Shocked

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 11:54am
We really don't teach anyone how to handle anything.

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by herwoman herwoman wrote:

Imagine if he hadn't reacted then and had time to go home and think up a master plan.

He seems like one of those people who would get rejected then go home and hang themselves. He shoulda did that instead.

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:05pm

Nope. Normal boys/men curse you out, follow you, call you names, pour beer on you at the bus stop, throw things out of their car at you (like cigarettes), drive down the street beside you and pretend to run you over, put their hands on your body or up your skirt...

So this is not surprising at all.

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Nope. Normal boys/men curse you out, follow you, call you names, pour beer on you at the bus stop, throw things out of their car at you (like cigarettes), drive down the street beside you and pretend to run you over, put their hands on your body or up your skirt...

Um no clue where you're from but this does not happen often at all

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Journey94 Journey94 wrote:

It's happened everywhere I've lived and visited.

You must be living under a rock to have missed the memo on the street harassment women endure daily.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:28pm

Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:39pm
I don't think you have to live under a rock to not see that happen on a daily basis. I know I don't see it on a daily basis but I've seen it happen to know that it is a factual experience for some wome. How often you see it does depends on where you live

Posted By: carolina cutie
*Stops sipping classy tea* Why didn't he use that knife on only himself after snapping that 'funny' pic?Ermm

And Journey, street harassment that maysay describes is very real.

Posted By: JasmineE02
Cry

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:42pm
I would phuck JR up, no need to try and hurt himself cause if he can still stab himself with those hooks he had for hands more more to his ass. 

I THOUGHT he was trying to talk slick yesterday and threatened to kick him down the basement stairs and I meant every word. Confused

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:45pm
He asked someone who had a boyfriend, and didn't think he'd get a no?

But like someone already said, he was already crazy. The fact that he had something on hand to stab her with just in case shows he wasn't playing with a full deck.

RIP...sad she had to die cuz she wanted to choose who to share her time with.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:49pm
That poor baby.

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 12:58pm
Wow so sad

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 1:00pm
dammit CT

this is terrible

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 1:12pm
He was somehow prepared in the event he was rejected .

Can we say premeditated

Too much rage.    

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 3:45pm
terrible

negros too fragile these days

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 3:58pm
And this is why i have a  big problem with all this "everyone is a winner" mindset in schools 

Learn how to take your L and move on. 

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 4:09pm
That spic ain't no damn negro!

And females are allowed to reject without consequence.

Posted By: Faithfully2002
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 4:20pm
May she RIP. Unhappy

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 2:20am
I remember I rejected a guy that asked me out to the prom. He started calling me a B!tch and all kinds of names.But before that he was always super nice to me. I think he thought, " How dare she reject me, I was super nice to her". It really threw me off.

Posted By: iluvmihair
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 5:12am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

I remember I rejected a guy that asked me out to the prom. He started calling me a B!tch and all kinds of names.But before that he was always super nice to me. I think he thought, " How dare she reject me, I was super nice to her". It really threw me off.

Have you seen this thread?  http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/check-this-bullsht-i-received-in-my-inbox_topic370205_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/check-this-bullsht-i-received-in-my-inbox_topic370205_page1.html
There's pages of the whole "nice guy" thing. Smile I learned a lot LOL

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 5:43am
I blame this "boys will be boys" bullshit mantra. That crap is HARMFUL. Not only that, but I also blame our media constantly heralding guys as the protagonist hero and the female in his eyes is some prize to be won.

This kid stabbed and murdered this girl but in his eyes, he probably feels justified. Yes, the kid is crazy, but his thought process in reaction to the rejection is disturbingly common.

Something is very wrong when a woman has to brace herself in defense when she's about to reject a guy's advances.

Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 5:44am

This.

Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 5:45am
Originally posted by Journey94 Journey94 wrote:

Really? I couldn't tell. Confused

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 6:49am

Agreed

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 7:42am
I feel for her family Unhappy

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 8:59am
The boy who did it smh

Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 9:35am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

The boy who did it smh

STOPWHITEKIDS2K14

Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 10:41am
Yep he got the crazy eyes

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 11:20pm

c/s...men are often unhinged.

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 7:20am
Came across this:
Originally posted by mobile ny times mobile ny times wrote:

Suspect in Stabbing at Connecticut School Is Described as Popular

By NATE SCHWEBER and MICHAEL SCHWIRTZ April 26, 2014

MILFORD, Conn. — Jonathan Law High School has not known much tumult. Students here are often too involved in sports, music or volunteer work to get in much trouble, staff members said, and the biggest source of friction is the annual game between the school football team, known as the Lawmen, and its crosstown rival.

Chris Plaskon seemed to thrive here. The third of five brothers, he was a joke-telling wide receiver on the football team who also played baseball and ran track. Though not immune to the stresses of adolescence, teachers and friends said, Mr. Plaskon showed little sign in recent months that he was troubled.

But a day after authorities say Mr. Plaskon, 16 and a junior, fatally stabbed a classmate in a school hallway, teachers and students were struggling to make sense of the incomprehensible: how a student whom many described as funny and popular could suddenly be accused of killing Maren Sanchez, 16, a well-liked honor student and his longtime friend.

“They’re looking for the kid in the black cape and the fangs and the black fingernails, but there was no sign,” said Mark Robinson, 38, who was Mr. Plaskon’s football coach before retiring last season. “He wasn’t a kid who was in the shadows. He was a well-liked kid. He was funnier than hell. That’s what makes it really strange.”

Mr. Plaskon was being held at a medical center under psychiatric evaluation, his lawyer, Richard Meehan, said on Saturday. He could be held there for up to 15 days and will then probably be charged as an adult, Mr. Meehan said. Mr. Plaskon was initially charged as a juvenile with murder, but Connecticut law allows the authorities to try minors as adults for serious crimes, Mr. Meehan said.

Ms. Sanchez, also a junior, was attacked around 7:15 a.m. at the high school on Friday, just before the start of class, the authorities said. She had stab wounds and cuts to her face, neck and chest.

The stabbing occurred by a first-floor stairwell in the math wing, the authorities and witnesses said, and staff members, including a librarian and a police officer assigned to the school, subdued the attacker and gave Ms. Sanchez first aid. She was pronounced dead at Bridgeport Hospital about a half-hour later.

On Friday, the authorities said they were looking into whether a dispute over an invitation to the junior prom, which was scheduled for that evening but was postponed, had anything to do with the attack.

For students and staff members, no possible explanation seemed sufficient. This sort of violence happens elsewhere, they said. Not at Jonathan Law High School. Not in Milford.

Milford, a town of about 51,000, is like a land apart, they said, separated by bridges from nearby Bridgeport and New Haven, two cities with vastly higher rates of violent crime.

The redbrick high school anchors a middle-class neighborhood of clapboard single-family homes, of streets lined with trees. A message board in front of the school reads: “Neither success nor failure is ever final.”

Ms. Sanchez, who was an athlete, was active in the drama club and served twice as class president, “was everything right as a student,” a statement on the school’s website said. Michael Mele, adviser to the drama program, said he and staff members had thought “long and hard about canceling” a coming performance of “Little Shop of Horrors,” in which Ms. Sanchez was to operate the puppet of the giant man-eating plant. Instead, he said, they would perform it in her honor.

“Let them grieve,” he said. “Let them come to rehearsal on Monday. If they have to cry for her for two hours, they can. At least they’ll be safe.”

Mr. Plaskon’s family had deep roots in Milford, students and teachers said. His mother attended Jonathan Law and her three brothers were all track and field athletes, Mr. Robinson said. Friends said his father owns a landscaping company. The family often took part in school fund-raisers.

Mr. Meehan, Chris Plaskon’s lawyer, said the family was reeling.

“They’re devastated not only for him but they’re devastated for Maren Sanchez’s family as well,” he said.

Mr. Plaskon was known as a bit of a jokester who would set off ripples of laughter in class. He enjoyed playing video games and dreamed of playing professional football.

He had dark days like any teenager and seemed down in recent months, friends said. He missed last football season — no one interviewed could say why — but had been training lately in hopes of rejoining the team in his senior year.

He had visited with the school guidance counselor on Wednesday, Mr. Robinson said, and the counselor told him nothing had seemed awry.

“He was an all-American kid, the kind of kid you’d want your kids hanging around,” said Gail Wells, the mother of a student who has known the Plaskon family for years.

Friends said Mr. Plaskon had been close with Ms. Sanchez since they were in middle school together. On his Facebook page, he lists Ms. Sanchez as his sister. A few months ago, he asked her to prom and she said no, several friends said.

A day before the attack, Joe Coury, 15, said he had lifted weights with Mr. Plaskon after school. Between sets they talked about the N.B.A. playoffs. Earlier in the day, Mr. Plaskon gave a presentation in history class about the political stability of Vietnam, but somehow turned it into a joke about Bill Cosby, said Herbie Pritchard, 17, who was in the class.

“That’s the way he is — hilarious,” Mr. Pritchard said. “Then the next day, I see Maren on the floor, blood everywhere and then Chris in handcuffs,” he added.

“These are people I love. I really don’t know how to process any of it.”

Nate Schweber reported from Milford, Conn., and Michael Schwirtz from New York. Alison Leigh Cowan, Elizabeth Maker, Daniel E. Slotnik and Vivian Yee contributed reporting.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 7:24am
ah lets humanise the lil sh*t

Date Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 7:28am
^^^ Yep. If it wasn't humanizing, he'd be romanticized.

Some form of media is always willing to do that for melanin challenged.

Date Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 7:44am
[ak] guuuuuurrrrl [/ak]

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 8:58am
White privilege and don't tell me it don't exist. I never seen a black person get any emotional sympathy what made them do it.

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 12:17pm
I heard this morning he is in the phyco ward so he is not in jail..

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

White privilege and don't tell me it don't exist. I never seen a black person get any emotional sympathy what made them do it.

Be a black victim of violence and you still the devil

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 3:21pm

Originally posted by MsBMW MsBMW wrote:

I heard this morning he is in the phyco ward so he is not in jail..

smh

Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 3:50pm
Quote “They’re devastated not only for him but they’re devastated for Maren Sanchez’s family as well,” he said.

Anyone see what's wrong with this quote? Sleepy

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Quote “They’re devastated not only for him but they’re devastated for Maren Sanchez’s family as well,” he said.

Anyone see what's wrong with this quote? Sleepy

WTF.  Devastated for HIM?  And the victim is like a what, an after thought?

You know what....

Print Page | Close Window