Print Page | Close Window

Associates degree

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370250
Printed Date: Sep 19 2018 at 7:58pm

Topic: Associates degree
Posted By: Bribby
Subject: Associates degree
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:35am
How do yall feel about Associates degrees?

My plan was always to get my Bachelor's degree, which I am pursuing. I was given the opportunity to receive my Associates, which I took!
I feel like some employers don't know what it means when you have "X" amount of college hours, but seeing a degree stands out?

Idk I'm just excited even though I know it's just the associates 

Replies:
Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:38am
Congratulations!  be proud of the accomplishmentClap

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:38am
Baby girl if you want to be successful go on and get your Bachelors degree. The associates don't mean SHAT. Its just an expensive high school diploma. Don't nobody wanna see that on a resume unless you're just aiming to make $15 an hour with it.

Congrats though I'm still proud of you. Waits for that thread that my baby sister Bribby will create about her Bachelors degree...Whoop Whoop!!!

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:39am
Are you attending a 4 year institution now?
I'd get it but I wouldn't put it on my resume unless I stopped there.

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:43am
correction: how do you feel about associates degrees? 

before anyone busts out a bs hierarchy, i want to be the first to say that if it gets you closer that career or helps you fulfill something in a field you have a passion for, opinions are like assholes frankly.  stay focused and do your thing.

i'm not spending the time, money or effort-- you are. it's not "just" anything. don't EVER minimize your goals or accomplishments. we ALL had to start somewhere. if you're gonna do it, do it with patience and pride and let no one deter you. 

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:45am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Are you attending a 4 year institution now?
I'd get it but I wouldn't put it on my resume unless I stopped there.

Yes I started attending in the Fall, I only needed 3 credits to get the Associates but didn't want to stay at the CC. So I then had enough credits at the end of the fall to get the Associates at the CC, but still at the Uni. Okay so you're saying don't list it...
I don't really plan on leaving the job I have until after getting the Bachelors. Estimated graduation for that is Fall 2015, should be Spring 2015 I'm a little behind.

Posted By: lexis83
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:45am
Unless it's in an applied science position, such as physical therapy assistant, you're better off going ahead and getting the bachelors. The pay gap is huge. For instance you'd make $35 an hr as a PTA versus $65 as a pt.

Also if you want to progress in your carrier, the associates doesn't count for much. So like others have said, go ahead and do the additional 2 years.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:46am
It depends on what its in...in the right industry it can get you in the door.  Are you doing anything in medical or childcare?  I only got my associates bc I went to a JC first anyway so I felt like I might as well have something I can tag 'with honor's to but it won't outweigh the bachelor's at all...if you're going to a 2 yr first you might as well.  What industry are u goinginto? 

read thishttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/two-year-degrees-vs-four-year-degrees_n_2439934.html

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

It depends on what its in...in the right industry it can get you in the door.  Are you doing anything in medical or childcare?  I only got my associates bc I went to a JC first anyway so I felt like I might as well have something I can tag 'with honor's to but it won't outweigh the bachelor's at all...if you're going to a 2 yr anyway you might as well.  What industry are u goinginto? 

read thishttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/two-year-degrees-vs-four-year-degrees_n_2439934.html

Yeah that's why I'm getting it cause I started out there. I'm in the works of my 4 year. It's like I was preggo my HS grad. so it's like another chance for me to enjoy a graduation I feel like.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:49am
Its a stepping stone.....

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:53am
bribby..I feel u on that...ppl sh*t on smaller degrees but you'll feel proud to reach that halfway point and have something to show for your work.  CC was harder than a university for me but I guess that's bc of all the damn GE classes.

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:01am
yeah im sure employers dont know what college hours mean

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:02am
Yeah I think it's a good degree to have in your back pocket, a lot of people have credits but no degree because their 4 year didn't offer them. So I think it puts you a step ahead of those people.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:11am
An associates can do a lot for you depending on what field you're in.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

before anyone busts out a bs hierarchy, i want to be the first to say that if it gets you closer that career or helps you fulfill something in a field you have a passion for, opinions are like assholes frankly.  stay focused and do your thing.

i'm not spending the time, money or effort-- you are. it's not "just" anything. don't EVER minimize your goals or accomplishments. we ALL had to start somewhere. if you're gonna do it, do it with patience and pride and let no one deter you. 
Alladis! Very proud of you Bribby.Clap

Don't let anyone make you feel 'less than' for going for an associates. An associate's is more than a lot of folk have.

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

YASS GAWD HUNTY!!!!!

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:27pm
I've definitely considered an Associate's in Ultrasound, Logistics, Clinical Research, Dental Hygiene, Radiologic Tech, and a few others.

CONGRATS!

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:12pm
Its the first step...keep going BribbyThumbs Up

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:15pm
It can get you a cushy government office job.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Congratulations!  be proud of the accomplishmentClap

And this.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:34pm
Don't say it's JUST an associates bc a lot of people don't have that.  You worked for it, you earned it, be proud of it.  Yes, you can still do more of course but be proud of your accomplishments and what you've done so far. Onwards and Upwards!

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:35pm
Congratulations on your accomplishment.  Here's to your continued success.Smile

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:35pm
Community college can be a good place to earn cheap credits......you just have to make sure that your 4 year college or university will accept the credits before you take the course at community college.

Posted By: newin2009
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:45pm
Congratulations!!!! I graduate in May with my Associate's and I'm proud of myself. It is a half way step towards my Bachelor's. Keep going! And if you can, go for your Master's after you get your Bachelor's. I look at it like 3 steps towards the main goal: Master's.

Posted By: Starrygurl
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by newin2009 newin2009 wrote:

Congratulations!!!! I graduate in May with my Associate's and I'm proud of myself. It is a half way step towards my Bachelor's. Keep going! And if you can, go for your Master's after you get your Bachelor's. I look at it like 3 steps towards the main goal: Master's.

Yep, that's what I am trying to do. Congrats and go get that degree and go beyond.Thumbs Up

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Don't say it's JUST an associates bc a lot of people don't have that.  You worked for it, you earned it, be proud of it.  Yes, you can still do more of course but be proud of your accomplishments and what you've done so far. Onwards and Upwards!

This. All. Day. Don't undermine or let anyone else undermine your accomplishment, if anything look at it as a bridge to your ultimate destination.

And the whole $15/hour thing is, by far, the silliest thing posted. I know quite a few ppl with associates degrees who were able to make decent money starting out...it just depends on what field you're entering.

Nonetheless, if having a degree and graduating is a personal accomplishment, go for the associates...and if the bachelors is your goal, stay focused and get your bachelors once you're done.

I'm very proud of you mama!

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 5:54pm
Take your general-education classes at a community college, then transfer to a 4-year university!

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 5:54pm
GGG8 what a hot sizzling cotdang minute. Its my opinion on what I feel an associates can get you. MY OPINION!!! This is not Bribby's 1st thread about her college ventures. People have a hard time with an associates degree in this economy. YES the $15 is accurate in some cases but like I said if she were my real younger sister this is the same advice I would give her. Bribby is not alone she has a young baby so YES my advice is only an opinion that she can take or not but look here you ain't going far with an associates degree and I still stand by my opinion. 

She has accomplished a very huge goal but her OP stated what do you think of an associates DEGREE!!!!

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

GGG8 what a hot sizzling cotdang minute. Its my opinion on what I feel an associates can get you. MY OPINION!!! This is not Bribby's 1st thread about her college ventures. People have a hard time with an associates degree in this economy. YES the $15 is accurate in some cases but like I said if she were my real younger sister this is the same advice I would give her. Bribby is not alone she has a young baby so YES my advice is only an opinion that she can take or not but look here you ain't going far with an associates degree and I still stand by my opinion. 

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">She has accomplished a very huge goal but her OP stated what do you think of an associates DEGREE!</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">!!!</span>

If your post is your opinion, then my post is...?

You're entitled to your sentiments. I simply don't agree.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 6:20pm
Congrats Bribby don't let the crabs drag you down. Negros always giving negative reinforcement slave talk.

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 6:46pm
Ironic that reading wasnt fundamental in this thread....she said she's continuing on to her bachelors....im damn proud of my associates degree & it will stay on my CV for life. I partied harder @ that graduation than the others that followed...go 'head girl, congratulations!!!

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 7:21pm
I read an article that associate degree holders make more money and more likely to get a job than bachelor degree holders. It really depends. Did you go for a technical degree or something liberal arts-y? If you got a technical degree then its totally worth it. If you got an associates in sociology...get more schooling, and change your major.

Posted By: iChinaaBanks
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 9:35am
I'm in school for Fashion Merchandising AS at SNHU...then I wanna transfer into a general business bachelors.  I heard the only time you put an AS degree on your resume is if you stop there or have 2 different majors/degrees.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 3:59am
Absolutely nothing wrong with a associates if that what you want.  At the end of the day it is all about you and what you want in life.  If you want to stop at getting an associates, cool.  Or if you want to pursue two PhD's and a masters, that is also cool.  Basically do what works for you.  I can sit here all day and night saying that oh you need such and such degrees to succeed in life but I am no psychic.  Hell I know folks who have a HS diploma or not even that and are doing quite well for themselves (self employed).  As long as you have goals and doing what needs to done to achieve them, I wouldn't concern myself with other folks opinions.  Congratulations in earning your degree and I wish you further success.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:22am
I understand I asked for yalls opinions on the Associates. So that's cool.

Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

Ironic that reading wasnt fundamental in this thread....she said she's continuing on to her bachelors....im damn proud of my associates degree & it will stay on my CV for life. I partied harder @ that graduation than the others that followed...go 'head girl, congratulations!!!

Yeah... I think everyone didn't see that part. I didn't plan on getting the Associates, I already transferred, I then had enough credits for the degree since most of my credits were from the community college they would send my transcript back.. I decided to partake in the ceremony since I was pregnant during my high school grad. I think this is like a 2nd chance lol 

Originally posted by LilMissSunshine LilMissSunshine wrote:

I read an article that associate degree holders make more money and more likely to get a job than bachelor degree holders.  It really depends. Did you go for a technical degree or something liberal arts-y? If you got a technical degree then its totally worth it. If you got an associates in sociology...get more schooling, and change your major.

Yup I thought I'd just get the general studies but since I took all of the business classes they require for the associates at the University, they're getting me the Associates of Arts but in Business Admin, most people just get the General studies one. 

Originally posted by newin2009 newin2009 wrote:

Awesome!! I'm graduating in May too. I'm looking at it like the same thing. My parents just want me to continue through college don't take any breaks!

Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

Community college can be a good place to earn cheap credits......you just have to make sure that your 4 year college or university will accept the credits before you take the course at community college.

Agreed!! Yup we have a 2+2 program so that's what I've been doing. & you have to keep in mind there may be a limit on how many transfer credits they accept

Posted By: TeeTee1984
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:37am
Congrats on your accomplishment. Clap Aim for the stars!

My bestie has an associates degree in dental hygiene has made great $$ since 2004. She is def making at least 70k.

Not a bad gig with an associates degree. I know folks out here BEGGING for 45k jobs with a bachelors degree.

It was initially a stepping stone, but then she got married and has a child now. Once her son is out of elementary school she plans on pursuing her BS in dental hygiene.

Print Page | Close Window