Print Page | Close Window

Pyramid Schemes and Multi-Level Marketing Schemes

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370230
Printed Date: Nov 24 2017 at 7:56am

Topic: Pyramid Schemes and Multi-Level Marketing Schemes
Posted By: Random Thoughts
Subject: Pyramid Schemes and Multi-Level Marketing Schemes
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:48pm
Avon, Melaleuca, Vector, Amway, Herbalife, Wake Up Now...

Do you have any horror (or gulp...success?) stories about pyramid scheme jobs? Ever been to one of the meetings? Ever watched as a family member or friend got involved?

Drop those thoughts.

NSFW episode of Penn and Teller, discussing the topic. It's really sad towards the end.

Replies:
Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:49pm
My mother looooooves falling for these and it's so sad because she'd too irrational and stubborn to accept that they're essentially scams.

But that's on her, not me.

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:51pm
They're all scams to me too

I cringe everytime I see somethin about herbalife. !!

My co worker started taking and selling this thing called Veema. I don't trust it either!

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:51pm
My Ig friends had a field day with Wakeup Now.......lmao

Herba Life is crack.....from what I hear.....I just wanted to try the tea....

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:53pm
Just read someone's experience with this a few mins ago. I bolded what these typically consist of.

________

I got tricked into a pyramid scheme meeting

So last night while I got a fb message from an old friend asking if I was available for a business meeting the next morning. First i thought it was some bot that hacked his account cuz I havent talked to him in years but later on called me up and talked about having open positions for a company called XS LLC who were expanding into Houston.

After talking to him over the phone along with an executive of the company next to him, I found out it was some sort of technology company. However I googled around and the only thing that popped up was XS LLC video game publisher who havent published a game in almost 2 years. Nevertheless, the two told me that if i was looking for something to do over the summer , I should dress up and attend the meeting. Friend even offered to drive me.

So here I am at the hotel, lined up outside the conference room. Some of the people there were kids around my age (20-25) who were telling me that they were in top positions in the company and making enough money to be financially independent. On top of that, i saw my friend who told me that the company allowed him to make enough money to help pay off his brother's cancer treatments. Already, I'm thinking all of this is too good to be true.

Now I'm in the conference room. My friend got me to shake a lot of hands and a spot in the front row next to him. I see the first powerpoint slide of the presentation. It says ACN 20 year anniversary. I asked my friend what was ACN cuz I signed up for XS LLC. He answered with XS being a company being opened under ACN to expand into Houston but they do the same business.

And then the sh*tty electro house music starts playing. The drop was some robotic voice saying "Start the phuckin beat" which sounds really weird in a room of people dressed in business attire. Main presenter comes in, starts talking about how everyone in the room wants to make enough money to retire their parents, wants to get away from the 9-5 workhours , and drive nice cars. Throughout the entire presentation, many in the audience were overenthusiastic , cheering really loud whenever some new presenter was on the stage. It was pretty creepy.

And then the slides on how the system works appeared. Getting multiple people working under you, focusing on recruiting new people into the system more than actually selling your technology based products/services, mentioning that professional athletes are part of the company, $500 to start working, etc. It was obvious now what this meeting was for.

After the meeting, my friend asked if i was interested. I replied with "I don't know man. All of this sounds pyramid scheme to me". His answer? "Real pyramid schemes only last a few years. ACN has existed for 20 years! Also, don't trust google." Then he gives me a pamphlet that talks about how googling about ACN brings up results that they are a pyramid scheme/dirty business but the websites listed on the pamphlet are proof that ACN is legit!!!

In the end I told him that I would think about it later (trying to be nice). And he dropped me off back home. Meeting didn't offer any food or drink. Bar in the hotel wasn't opened. I was expecting at least a slice of pizza dammit.

What I learned today? Companies are trying to hide their status by opening under a different company name that doesn't pop up on google. And I'm about to lose a good buddy of mine. Sure we haven't talked in years but he was a great human being that I respected since high school. Oh yeah that friend? He was the one who organized the meeting. He's deep into this bullsh*t now.

But I'm pretty sure a lot of you already know this. It just sucks for me cuz this is the first time that i was targeted individually since now I'm apparently old enough for this (college student).

Posted By: Mz. Mocha
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:54pm
Don't forget another called "It works" (body wraps) and Organo coffee 

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:54pm
I'll have to check out the show.  I watched all the seasons except 8.  I've had a few friends who've gotten into multi-level marketing schemes briefly. They were usually stay at home moms just trying to make a little extra money.  Never successful and I always trying to get people to steer clear.  Disapprove 

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:06pm
nope. went to a meeting in university and laughed all the way out of there. it was for that company that sells cleaning supplies and things.  the island is small the persons able to join are limited and soon exhauseted plus I dont have anytime to sell nothing nor am i gonna waste money on the start up pckg. bwwhahhahahahahahhahahah

Herbalife was BIG in Jamaica, ppl did lose weight on it though (put it right back after). ive always wondered how comes i never hears anything about it stateside. well last week i say something abt the company being investigated for being a pyramid scheme. LOLOL

what we did have was a MAJOR economic crisis (for soME) because they invested $$$$$$$ in Cash Plus and OLint. Each deposit earned a member 10% on the deposit monthly (banks at the time were barely gvining interest of 4%) people sold homes cars lands and shunted millions to these schemes WELP! it all came tumbling down. Cash Plus first then Olint (they were assured that Olint was different from cash plus and woudl never go under) MERCY i know peopl who still havent recovered house gone car gone college funds gone. Had to move back to parent shomes' etc fully grown families SMMH

Dudes were buying planes sending money offshores etc. The two guys were charged i think (one byu the US we have yet to charge one- but other countries have). Neegroes waiting to be refunded but i dont think so

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:12pm
Mannnn my moma stay falling for the okie doke pyramid schemes lets see she has done
tupperware
avon(2 times)
Noni juice
ardyss
ameriscience
currently organo gold bullshyt

She dont listen to me

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:13pm
My homeboy joined one of those and he can barely even explain it . It took 2 yrs for a semi-explanationConfused.. "check out the website..they can explain it better than I can"..oh but you want me to get my electricity through you and come to the next meeting? Oh ok, sure thing.

My friend just started selling Mary Kay. The prices are comparable to MAC Confused. idk enough about MK to be paying $20 for a lipstick. (are they good?)

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:14pm
Seems like everybody is on the WakeUpNow thing.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:15pm
CryLOL aww man I know someone who did ardyss and noni juice stuff too.. it worked out for me cause I got some juice for free that she never sold

the vi-shape shakes is one too. It pissed me off b/c I couldnt buy it wholesale

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:16pm
Anyone ever lost a friend because of it?

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:19pm
I hate when they don't want to explain to you what they do they try to drag you to a meeting in order to get any type of answers

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:20pm
The only one i benefited from was tupperware i took alot of stuff from my moma for my house and that shyt last forever. I remember when she did not believe they had a lifetime warranty until one of her coworkers asked to exchange a lid she brought back in 80's, my moma was hot when her distributor lady told her she had to give the lady a new updated bowl and lid cuz tupperware no longer sold that style she had that was bent up...she aint get no sell

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:21pm
When I use to do craft fairs... I swear id be the only one who actually made the products I was selling

Everyone else was companies like avon... mary kay... scarlet scarves... origami owl... ardyss... it works... tupperware etc. Alwats bugging you to host a party or something. Nobody wants to do that sh*t

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:23pm
What is 'wake up now?'

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:25pm
these business are like other business they are based on Direct Sales! If you are good at selling, you have a product you believe and a network of people you can make money... Its work hello not easy but possible!
I have a great opportunity if anyone here want to work for themselves, but you have to have self esteem, strong work ethic, self discipline, personal source of motivation and willingness to learn. I think its better than working in Retail for example: how many 50 dollar bras do you sell and still make the same $9.00 per hour? at least you get paid equal to the work you do. and the real money is in building your own team of sellers... PM for more thoughts

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:26pm
I was dating a guy who did this smh He wanted me buy sh*t thru his website so he could get a percentage off of it. I was like Nah...I'm keeping my ass on amazon. I don't trust that sh*t lol He was mad at me for a while cuz I told him I didn't want to have anything to do with his "work" hahaha

How you going to all those meetings and they aint payin you sh*t!! smh You're just wasting your time.

Posted By: Findingmyme
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

My homeboy joined one of those and he can barely even explain it . It took 2 yrs for a semi-explanationConfused.. "check out the website..they can explain it better than I can"..oh but you want me to get my electricity through you and come to the next meeting? Oh ok, sure thing.

My friend just started selling Mary Kay. The prices are comparable to MAC Confused. idk enough about MK to be paying $20 for a lipstick. (are they good?)

The only thing from Mary K I would buy is their skincare, in my opinion their makeup is on par with your basic drug store makeup.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

lol.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:31pm
is avon included in pyramid schemes? Back in the day, Avon used to pretty much sell itself. People loved it so no need to pressure folks to buy.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

these business are like other business they are based on Direct Sales! If you are good at selling, you have a product you believe and a network of people you can make money... Its work hello not easy but possible!
I have a great opportunity if anyone here want to work for themselves, but you have to have self esteem, strong work ethic, self discipline, personal source of motivation and willingness to learn. I think its better than working in Retail for example: how many 50 dollar bras do you sell and still make the same $9.00 per hour? at least you get paid equal to the work you do. and the real money is in building your own team of sellers... PM for more thoughts

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by HeyBeautiful18 HeyBeautiful18 wrote:

I hate when they don't want to explain to you what they do they try to drag you to a meeting in order to get any type of answers

lol them the ones who dont know sh*t and cant explain

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:37pm

lmao

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:37pm
I've always thought Ice cube was so CUTE!

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:38pm

That person was never a friend just a wolf in sheep's wool yes, my first MLM was with pre-paid legal and I started seeing everyone as a $ sign that is when I knew it was time to QUIT!
more recently I've been offred, Noni, some energy deregulation biz, Do-terra,and Prime- america... I am doing one now but its based of a business I already have and I am using it as a product only to offer my customers

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:43pm
I just wish people would spend the same amount of money and energy on something real.

But as long as they leave me alone, I'm cool. I hate it when I say no and they don't take no for answer and then I have to tell them all about themselves and their dumb ass scheme.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:46pm
I remember being brought to a primerica meeting

The whole thing felt like a cult

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:54pm
I remember this niqqa on the phone during a "business call" sayin that he was doing this project and that project like he was doing something special...I wanted to say negro get a real job but his peen was too good Cry

I side eyed him tho

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:03pm
My parents were on the Herbalife diet. Herbalife used to send them checks just for referring people. My dad never cashed any of the checks. I wonder if my mom did.

I sent them an article about the investigation recently lol.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:09pm
I remember I was in Barnes & Noble's and this pretty woman offered me a "job."

It was called People Helping People and I needed help finding work! I attend the meeting in proper business attire and everyone's in a room professionally dressed and they showed me around and took me to some room and in the background I could hear some weird chanting- I'm guessing to "motivate."

They showed such a bullshit presentation about the biggest businesses in America filled with clearly untrue facts and they presented this crap like it was true. Dead

Then the cherry on top is at the end of the meeting, they required I pay $150 for a training manual and to be officially a part of PHP.

HAHA, THAT WAS THE FIRST AND LAST EXPERIENCE WITH THEM!
That Vector Marketing crap is fake too! Even if some of these programs give you some money, they scam you out of a LOT.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:13pm
I've heard of PHP. I don't get how people fall for that stuff. 

I didn't know Avon and Mary Kay were considered scams.

What about buying vending machines? Cuz I know someone who owns two that were like $2,000 each smh.

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:17pm
Not scams but pyramid schemes. you set up the business and sell to consumers and have the option to move up in the business/scheme and form your own "team" which kicks up money to you.

I never ever ever knew MK was so expensive till pretty recently MERCY!!!! lol

Organo gold coffee was big a few years back. Coffee with guarana lololol

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:19pm
One of my fbf was involved with 5linx. I had to mute his ass, that shyt was annoying as hell and he could never explain exactly what it was.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:23pm
I got sorta involved with Amway back in the 90's before I knew what it was.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:24pm
I had a lot of fams selling Avon.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:29pm
I have an older cousin who has been selling mary kay for years. Apparently ot workes she has some big title for her chapter and ended up getting a car. She tried to get me to sell it.

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:30pm

HAHA

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

One of my fbf was involved with 5linx. I had to mute his ass, that shyt was annoying as hell and he could never explain exactly what it was.

I kept seeing that on FB last year and made a thread here asking what it was. NO one knew, or they just wouldn't  tell LOL

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:34pm
Oh what about Kirby? Selling vacuums door to door.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:38pm
I feel bad for the young highschool kids that get sucked into them. They don't know any better

Everytime I go to walmart I'm approached by someone tryin to sell me a 200 dollar hair straightener and some expensive ass eyeshadow

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:58pm
i got an associate who brings in 8k per month on the herbalife scam. he has always been a fitness nut and used it to his advantage. he got so many people thinking he got his muscles from herbalife smh.

he showed me what you get if you sign up and most of the sh*t you can get at gnc or bodybuilding.com for way cheaper lol. they had protein powder, meal replacement, green tea and some other vitamins. can't knock his hustle, though.

then my potna...maaaaan. i don't even know where to start. he is doing wakeupnow and its like he's a different person. he makes youtube videos promoting this crap and guarantees you can make money easy. no lie, he's a hell of a salesmen. after watching some of his vids i thought about investing but fucc that. i tried to tell him to leave that sh*t alone but he's too far gone. i would post his youtube but i don't wanna put him out there like that. this Brotha is making pie charts and everything lol.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 11:00pm
@pie charts

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 11:01pm
forgot about that organo gold coffee too. i know a few people who got tricked into that too

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 11:06pm
Man...the wakeupnow people are hilarious though.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 11:14pm
yea it is funny as hell. here is my potna's response to a question to one of his wun vids:

Q:Besides getting people to join and get your rank up.. What do you do?
What is the actual business part that you do? Do you sell something, or call people, or go house to house? What do you do to make the money.. That's what I don't get. How do you make money just from getting people under you.

A:we sell products as well for commission money. And your not required to go door to door. Offline works always gets you more money. You sign 3 people up and you get $100 a month and they go out and find their 3 each and you make 600 a month and they make 100 a month and the ones other them will go find their 3 and make 100 while the ones who signed them up makes 600 a month. Does that make sense?

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 11:57pm
What about avocare?  I know people who do their cleanses and swear by that spark.

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:00am
Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

forgot about that organo gold coffee too. i know a few people who got tricked into that too

People who don't even DRINK coffee. That's a drug hustler for real. Pushing product they don't even consume.

I ain't gon' lie though, someone gave me some and the coffee was better than I wanted to admit. Powdered/instant and all.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:15am
selling false hope to the next tier >>> selling the product

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:02am
Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

i got an associate who brings in 8k per month on the herbalife scam. he has always been a fitness nut and used it to his advantage. he got so many people thinking he got his muscles from herbalife smh.

he showed me what you get if you sign up and most of the sh*t you can get at gnc or bodybuilding.com for way cheaper lol. they had protein powder, meal replacement, green tea and some other vitamins. can't knock his hustle, though.

then my potna...maaaaan. i don't even know where to start. he is doing wakeupnow and its like he's a different person. he makes youtube videos promoting this crap and guarantees you can make money easy. no lie, he's a hell of a salesmen. after watching some of his vids i thought about investing but fucc that. i tried to tell him to leave that sh*t alone but he's too far gone. i would post his youtube but i don't wanna put him out there like that. this Brotha is making pie charts and everything lol.

u need pie charts and graphs n'sh*t so it don't look home made.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:33am
If you start a fruit stand- and you buy your fruit wholesale and start selling it on the corner= then it does well so you tell your friend how they can do it too if you show them, how is having anyone of these biz any different than selling fruit? or anything Its Direct Sales? anyone here is Sales?

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:36am
Most people who get involved in these business have no experience in sales and it shows if you are not willing to build the skills you need to make this happen then its not going to happen, and I agree with whomever said its better for people to sell things they actually care about.. I don't like Avon I never have so I will never sell it!

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 4:15am
Avon isn't like that Mary Kay is though my sister fell for it im just waiting to see how long she'll last...she did change alot everything is mary kay this and that while spending money building an inventory she'll never sell.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 4:30am

If you start a fruit stand- and you buy your fruit wholesale and start selling it on the corner= then it does well so you tell your friend how they can do it too if you show them, how is having anyone of these biz any different than selling fruit? or anything Its Direct Sales? anyone here is Sales?

In your fruit stand example, the success or failure of your fruit stand has no connection to you convincing your friend to do it too. In these marketing schemes, it's ALL about recruitment, and the product itself is  irrelevant.

The bullsh*t episode in the OP summed it up nicely.

"The product itself becomes the vehicle for the money transfer. So it looks like a sales company, it has products, contracts, and calls you a salesman. But in reality it's merely an endless chain recruitment plan."

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 4:34am

U teach your friend to sell but U get a cut of their earnings...then they in turn teach someone else and then u get a cut of not only your friends earnings but the person your friend recruited.   The person who taught u about the fruit stand is getting a kick up of all of y'alls montey's.  And so on and so on and so on...

The montey's flows upwards as opposed to you showing your friend how to run a fruit stand and then u have nothing else to do with it.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 7:24am
Somebody tried this sh*t with me when I was fresh off the boat

A close trusted family friend .. I mean they were supposedly raking in the dough but then I looked at how they were living and I just thought nah son, stop lying.

Plus it was too much effort

The. Another bloke tried to get me into this company ..you're supposed to sell some stuff and sign up some people and you only buy your supermarket goods from these guys etcetera they used Costco as their competitor.

I looked at some of the products and I just thought naaaah , you ain't fooling me

Posted By: whitrhymes
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 7:51am
I had an old "friend" from college PM me about Vemma.   First he wrote on my wall then asked me what I was doing that evening. I'm thinking why would I tell you and all of facebook my plans for the evening?? Then he PM'd me.  It's funny because the last messages I had from him were years ago, asking if he could sit by me in class because he didn't study for the test. SMH! Some people are always trying to do some slick sheit.

He sent me a video that started out with all these happy people travelling, cheering, driving expensive cars, etc... Don't the vids always start this way?? SMH.  Anyway the video had this young guy on it who was obviously not used to speaking or reading que cards Talking about how he had started making all this money with the company. After so many awkward pauses/fumbles in his speech, I stopped watching.

When I first got out of college I went on an interview for one of those MLM companies, unbeknownst to me at first. I had a full business professional attire. And I was feeling really good because I had made it through 3 interviews, then they sat myself and the other candidates in a room and introduced us to the other leaders in the company, and put on their similarly themed video. SMH I was pissed I wasted time with it.

My question always is, if it's such a great opportunity, why do they have to recruit so hard?  People should be beating down their door trying to submit resumes. SMH lol

Posted By: whitrhymes
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 7:54am
And Vemma is a health/energy drink, which I don't drink. He was trying to convince me to sell a product I wouldn't even use... But it's not like the product matters anyway...

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 8:00am
I had someone on my facebook pm me about watching 2 videos on Nerium..
I was like naw not interested in watching nothing.....I buy most of my sh*t from Amazon

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 8:59am
I had a friend that invited me to an insurance MLM it was called WFG. They really do make money because I saw bank statements but I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of contacting all of my friends and asking if they were interested. I just went ahead and purchased insurance for me and the kids. I'm a good hustler with a huge network but I ain't trying to have my network give me the side eye.

Park Lane jewelry is another one another friend invited me to. They had an event where the president was coming to give a speak and throw out $500,000 worth of Jewelry to the crowd. This dude came and I was like WTH. The guy was cooked not tanned but cooked. Had botox in his brows and lips. I just couldn't. He did throw out jewelry and I was able to catch 5 nice pieces but then that was it. 

Prepaid Legal is another one that another friend is still trying to get me to sign up to. I support my friends but that MLM is not the business for me.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 9:17am

Lol, I've purchased a lipstick recently and it's pretty darn good (to me anyway). 

*goes back to reading*

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 9:44am
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Lol, I've purchased a lipstick recently and it's pretty darn good (to me anyway). 

*goes back to reading*

Their 3n1 facial wash and Microdermabrasion wash is the bomb. Moisturizer is the bomb also. Those are the only things I purchase and stock up from Mary KAY. Everything else is basic. Oh they have this sugar scrub thing for your lips but I got that for free.

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 9:45am
I swear if my sister tries to sell my one more of those It Works body wraps they gonna have to bury ol girl for real

My uncle got her caught up in it and everybody hides when she comes around

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 9:53am

I think Body By Vi is one big pyramid scam. I find it hard to believe that people are making 100K per year and driving around in 200K BMW's selling Milkshakes. I get soo tired of seeing people on FB loathing over it. Dead  I'm not a believer.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:07am
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

I swear if my sister tries to sell my one more of those It Works body wraps they gonna have to bury ol girl for real

My uncle got her caught up in it and everybody hides when she comes around

Your sister paid $99 to become a It Works distributor? Dead

They getting a lot of sistas with this one 

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:10am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

*goes back to reading*

Their 3n1 facial wash and Microdermabrasion wash is the bomb. Moisturizer is the bomb also. Those are the only things I purchase and stock up from Mary KAY. Everything else is basic. Oh they have this sugar scrub thing for your lips but I got that for free.

Mama00 loves this......shes been using maryK skin care for about 15 years......

My friend sells it wraps......she makes decent money.....

• The Federal Trade Commission  http://www.bbb.org/us/article/ftc--the-bottom-line-about-multilevel-marketing-plans-4557" rel="nofollow - cautions  "Most [network marketers] end up with nothing to show for their money except the expensive products or marketing materials they're pressured to buy."

• Consumer Reports  http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/june-2009/money/work-at-home-stings/real-vs-bogus-homework/work-at-home-stings-real-vs-bogus-homework.htm" rel="nofollow - advises  "Stay away from multilevel marketing schemes that make earnings contingent on your ability to sign up an ever-growing pyramid of 'distributors' who are supposed to do the same and pass sales commissions up the line."

• The nonprofit Consumer Awareness Institute  http://www.mlm-thetruth.com/ShockingMLMstats.htm" rel="nofollow - analyzed  available data published by the MLM companies themselves. Of the companies surveyed, they reported the least successful was Amway/Quixtar where 99.99% of distributors lose money, and the most successful was Herbalife, where 99.42% of distributors lose money.

• They also  http://www.mlm-thetruth.com/tax_study.htm" rel="nofollow - surveyed  200 tax preparers in three counties in Idaho and Utah, where 6% of residents are active network marketing participants. From over 300,000 tax returns, not a single one reported significant profits from network marketing activities.

• In a Wisconsin lawsuit, the tax returns of the top 200 of 20,000 network marketing participants were  http://www.mlm-thetruth.com/content/wisconsintaxes_amway.htm" rel="nofollow - examined  by the Attorney General. The average income of this top 1% was -$900.

• Newsweek  http://www.newsweek.com/id/150499/page/1" rel="nofollow - found  that fewer than 1% of  http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4086" rel="nofollow - MonaVie  distributors ever qualified for any commission at all, and less than 1 in 1,000 recovered the cost of their required monthly purchases.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:54am
So where is all the money going??^^^^

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:56am
It's going to the people at the top of the pyramid. 

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by JasmineE02 JasmineE02 wrote:

It's going to the people at the top of the pyramid. 

yeah the only people making money from these schemes are the people who started it LOL

Just heard Chad Ochocinco joined Wake Me Now. Dead

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

U teach your friend to sell but U get a cut of their earnings...then they in turn teach someone else and then u get a cut of not only your friends earnings but the person your friend recruited.   The person who taught u about the fruit stand is getting a kick up of all of y'alls montey's.  And so on and so on and so on...

The montey's flows upwards as opposed to you showing your friend how to run a fruit stand and then u have nothing else to do with it.

U teach your friend to sell but U get a cut of their earnings...then they in turn teach someone else and then u get a cut of not only your friends earnings but the person your friend recruited.you just described a corporation

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:20pm
There was this lady I used to work with and I'd tell her about stuff I ordered online and she'd be trying to get me to go to her website and buy stuff from/through there. Chile please...

And she was in a scheme where you get people to join and you get money. She wanted me to tell my mom about it. Again chile please...

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:23pm

U teach your friend to sell but U get a cut of their earnings...then they in turn teach someone else and then u get a cut of not only your friends earnings but the person your friend recruited.you just described a corporation

Most people aren't actually selling anything.
They're just getting money from getting other people to sign up.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:23pm
sh*t i aint tell you bout the one who wanted to get us to buy into this diamond govt approved scheme in sierra leone

bruh!!

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:28pm
thank goodness I've never heard of most of these. Except mary k and avon. And I  didn't know avon had now become a 'scheme.' SAHM/W used to used that to supplement household income. Now, they done ruined that too. lol

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Most people aren't actually selling anything.
They're just getting money from getting other people to sign up.

avon is a sales company, doterra is a sales company, they sell essential oil, they are not scams... they are not going to make you rich over night i just think people don't actually understand business- you have to view the compensation plans and decide if this is actually something for you- anyway I have to go!! make some calls so I can get some appointments

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:33pm
I be trying to tell yall that the weave game is like the crack gameDead

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:40pm
^^^It's a shame people ain't got shyt to do but sit around and think of ways to get over on people.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:41pm
I'm thinking of a way right now.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:51pm
Two ppl I know are heavily involved and one of directly after me.
See I read her post like she interested in helping our community becoming financial fit so contacted her about going into our community to help ppl out with their finances.

No she's talking bout body wraps and hair pills.
Now she won't stop bothering me about these pills that will grow my hair 4 inches in a month. Uggggghh

She will not stop.
Seems weird she would get caught up in this crap

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:07pm

meh...there is no difference, imo.

well there is one huge difference. in mlm's you get paid for referring a good product. normally, when you refer a friend/family/bhm poster to a product service you love... you don't get shyt.

the real problem with mlms, imo, is 70% of the products are shytty...

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:09pm
there are a few products i use religiously that are manufactured/distributed thru mlm/direct sales...

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:22pm
The structure is pretty different.  Normally distributors don't compete with their employees at any level in the process.  The manufacturers often give out assigned territories to distributors.  The distributor hires people to sell the product and gives them the wholesale price.  If you're helping your buddy out, you help them become a distributor and have people selling the manufacturer's product for them.  They'd be assigned a different area though.  When you expand your business, you expand it within your own assigned area by picking up more locations to sell the product in.  My father-in-law is a distributor.  The other big thing is that he doesn't make any money when they make a sale.  They keep whatever profit they get.  They pay him once to get the wholesale product.   

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

sh*t i aint tell you bout the one who wanted to get us to buy into this diamond govt approved scheme in sierra leone

bruh!!
Wholesale diamonds skrait from Sierra Leone! What could possibly be shady about that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:25pm
In different a setup, you just get a salary and commission is extra.  You're doing the company a favor, not the other way around.  They pay you.  They supply the product.  They take on the risk.  If you don't meet your quota to stay profitable, you get fired. 

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:12pm
do they have pyramids for buying hair too??

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

do they have pyramids for buying hair too??

Yes they do. Micore does this now. You pay $200 and never see the hair. My co-worker never even saw what the packaging looks like.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

meh...there is no difference, imo.

well there is one huge difference. in mlm's you get paid for referring a good product. normally, when you refer a friend/family/bhm poster to a product service you love... you don't get shyt.

the real problem with mlms, imo, is 70% of the products are shytty...
Are you in any ?

Posted By: newin2009
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:39pm
Bedroom Kandi is another one. I just looked it up. You have to pay $500 for the kit plus $10 a month for admin fees.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 3:54pm
Apparently Paul Wall, Ocho Cinco, Jim Jones, and Juelz Santanna are doing Wake Up Now. I been looking at those wakeupw now vids that Sang spoke about.

*sigh*

My people.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I just wish people would spend the same amount of money and energy on something real.

But as long as they leave me alone, I'm cool. I hate it when I say no and they don't take no for answer and then I have to tell them all about themselves and their dumb ass scheme.

No shade to anyone in particular but that reminds me a little of Jehovah Witnesses.

Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 2:11am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

bruh!!
Wholesale diamonds skrait from Sierra Leone! What could possibly be shady about that?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Monica .. I just too lazy to type

But naah .. No guaranteed returns though promised at least a kilo in diamonds in a year or the cash equivalent, having to recruit investors .. No access to your mining facilities and wanting 50k USD upfront?

Born at night, but not last night!

Sounded like a ponzy scheme

Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 2:26am
Gimme 50k afro.
I got loans that need paid.

Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 5:48am

I ain't got it Monica

Plus I'm covering cherry's student bills

Posted By: lexis83
Date Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 8:51am
Never heard of majority of these companies

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 4:03am
I tried to do Vector Marketing and Primerica (technically not a scam).  What those things taught me is that I am not a people person by far and I hated sales with a purple passion.  Plus I found that it is a costly endeavor (initially) to pursue that.  Yeah if you have charisma and networking skills, you can make a killing but I am too much of an introvert for that.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 4:55pm

i buy mary kay and this lady gives me a great super discount on the products i purchase from her..she  is taking a huge loss..

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 4:57pm
my friend tried to get me in that one skin care...it is popular now . went to the meeting and asked her (my friend) how come this supposedly great skincare product don;t have any sunscreen protection in it if it helps get rid of wrinkles...*CHIRP,,,,CHIRP,,,,,CHIRP,,,*   NO ANSWER FROM HER

Print Page | Close Window