Print Page | Close Window

People Magazines Most Beautiful Person: Lupita

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370209
Printed Date: Oct 20 2018 at 8:31pm

Topic: People Magazines Most Beautiful Person: Lupita
Posted By: EPITOME
Subject: People Magazines Most Beautiful Person: Lupita
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:25am

Quote:

Though she grew up thinking that "light skin and flowing, straight hair" made women desirable, World's Most Beautiful Woman Nyong'o, 31, tells PEOPLE that her mother "always said I was beautiful. And I finally believed her at some point." The Oscar winner, who's now a face of Lancôme Paris, is excited for this honor in part because of "all the girls who would see me … and feel a little more seen."

I usually do not buy People but I will buy this issue to support.

Replies:
Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:26am
I think gwenyth paltrow was most beautiful last year.. people were upset. I wonder how this will make them react.

She looks very nice

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:26am
White folk know how to run things into the ground.....they did this with raise the roof tweaking and now Lupita......

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:27am
Clap

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:27am
Ill be back.. after coffee has kicked in and fvckery has ensued in this here thread

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:29am
They put on whoever's the 'it' girl of the moment.. Never fails

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:34am
Ironically---this girl apparently doesn't have any movies lined up--which is probably why she switched agencies.  You win an Oscar and have zero scripts.  Other Oscar NOMINEES have 5 movies lined up.  She is living off that Lancome money only right now.

She needs to find someone who will get her a fashion endorsement, a big budget fantasy movie thing like Zoe Saldana does, and small indie stuff.  Essentially--model her career after Jennifer Lawrence imo. Of course it's harder bc she's black.

And Sandy I disagree with the overexposure idea.  When are black actresses ever really "overexposed" kwim? Ain't but like 20 and she and Halle are the only 2 I remember getting this honor.  I mean Halle did do that crappy movie afterwards though---Catwoman--but before that Halle was steadily working.  Lupita is different because she just started so this exposure is good for her nascent career imo.

I have no problem with a black woman being an "It Girl" and being "over exposed" or being shoved in my face all the time.Embarrassed

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:37am
I don't look to whites to confirm anything before I believe it. That right there will get me got.

But on paper (which it all that matters in these parts) it's a good look for her. And some sad little girls might start liking the way they look. Don't know.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:43am
Well they aren't wrong, for once.

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:45am
As far as her career goes, well she's got to know what dreams to follow and why.

I studied theatre, acted in a few plays, wanted to audition for Degrassi with my friend. He auditioned but I didn't. I didn't want to bump into the pile up of black actors trying to get on. I have a friend on Degrassi right now, actually. Wonder if she will move to LA. I like to eat plantain too much for that industry.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:04am
Big smile

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:05am
They're telling her what she already knew, frankly. *shrug*

But good for white people's contrived attempts at validating black beauty.
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

White folk know how to run things into the ground.....they did this with raise the roof tweaking and now Lupita......
Did you mean "twerking"? Cause "tweaking" made me LOL & nod like "yep, them crackas be doin meth in droves." !!!

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:05am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Ironically---this girl apparently doesn't have any movies lined up--which is probably why she switched agencies.  You win an Oscar and have zero scripts.  Other Oscar NOMINEES have 5 movies lined up.  She is living off that Lancome money only right now.

She needs to find someone who will get her a fashion endorsement, a big budget fantasy movie thing like Zoe Saldana does, and small indie stuff.  Essentially--model her career after Jennifer Lawrence imo. Of course it's harder bc she's black.

And Sandy I disagree with the overexposure idea.  When are black actresses ever really "overexposed" kwim? Ain't but like 20 and she and Halle are the only 2 I remember getting this honor.  I mean Halle did do that crappy movie afterwards though---Catwoman--but before that Halle was steadily working.  Lupita is different because she just started so this exposure is good for her nascent career imo.

I have no problem with a black woman being an "It Girl" and being "over exposed" or being shoved in my face all the time.Embarrassed
OuchLOL

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:21am
If they say so....

I can't see her in a Tyler Perry movie so I hope her people find her something to do soon since with filming and whatnot the movie won't be released until damn near 2016 by then her "it" factor will have come and gone. 

Posted By: Adinkrah
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 11:45am
Hasn't she signed up to be in the adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche's Americanah?

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Well they aren't wrong, for once.

Yes, congrats to her! StarClapSmile

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 11:55am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

They're telling her what she already knew, frankly. *shrug*

But good for white people's contrived attempts at validating black beauty.

Did you mean "twerking"? Cause "tweaking" made me LOL & nod like "yep, them crackas be doin meth in droves." !!!
Our gated 'good' yt neighborhoods have meth labs now. Drove those home values down down.LOL

Anyways, I am for this cover. We all should know why this is a big deal lol. I just needs her to get some movie/theatre roles asap!

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:04pm

She's probably just selecting her roles more wisely. It's hard to follow an Oscar, especially as a new actress. Better that her next move be smart than fast. A bad move can kill a career...waiting  for the right role can only quiet a buzz.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:09pm
Bless y'all heart....you really think she's selecting roles more wisely?

She's a beautiful girl that won a premature award for an okay movie......

*ducks rocks.....avoid pitch forks......and douses water on torches*

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:14pm

Bless y'all heart....you really think she's selecting roles more wisely?

I sho' do.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:15pm
Idk about her trying to choose wisely.. But i do think she'll have more roles.. I didn't see the movie aside from a scene and I feel like If some of these awful-basic acting ass ppl can get roles.. She can get them too. And I can think of a few Blks that are barely cute and not as popular.. She has a lot of fans and hype surrounding her.
She'll be okay.

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:16pm
Of course she is. That some of you think she's not getting any roles is laughable. She's being choosy so she doesn't end up in Catwoman 2.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:17pm
lol @ White magazines thinking they have the authority to determine what's already obvious and have it matter

I ain't mad at them tho
This choice was too obvious

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:17pm
BeatriceBean, I think so as well.  A bad movie can sink a budding career, Oscar or not. 

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:21pm
I didn't know people cared about People Magazine MBP since they've done so many repeats but it is refreshing that she mad the cover they'll be back to the same sh*t next year.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:29pm
No shade but she a few years late for The Help movie, the Butler is done, Mandela done, Zoe did The Words and Ohaura in Star Trek and she s Dominican not black, no to any TP production even minus Madea, y'all would have a fit with any down with the swirl movie so unless it's some under the radar indie project in the making I see her having a Oscar and a bunch of invites to fashion parties.

Any movies with a summer release, thanksgiving blockbuster or even Christmas are done, or wrapping up.

She should be trying to make friends with someone who is really close with Spielberg, Ron Howard, or Cameron so they can find something for her to do.....

I could see her in Curb Your Enthusiasm , if Larry would make another season.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:30pm
Quality roles......Her ass signed on to Non-Stop......yall be trying it.....

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:38pm

Quality roles......Her ass signed on to Non-Stop......yall be trying it.....

Non-Stop began filming in 2012 and wrapped before 12 Years A Slave was even released. Besides that, the film received generally favorable reviews.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:39pm
Did you see it?

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:43pm
I forgot about non stop until Junior reminded me, he suggested doing a voice for a Disney movie until something comes along. He said that's respectable work and keeps her name out there.

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:44pm
I like Junior smart kid...

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

BB that's what I'm trying to say, if she filmed that in 2012 her next role will be in theaters in 2016 at this rate.....

Wonders what Viola and Octavia up to these days...

Getting type cast......

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:46pm

Did you see it?

I did.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:46pm
BB that's what I'm trying to say, if she filmed that in 2012 her next role will be in theaters in 2016 at this rate.....

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

lol @ White magazines thinking they have the authority to determine what's already obvious and have it matter

I ain't mad at them tho
This choice was too obvious
Real talk. I was glad to see the cover with Julia Roberts' tired face pushed to the side.LOL

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:49pm
I could maybe see her with a leading role on a show..
Is that bad for an Oscar winner..?

Idk about her on Disney for some reason just cus of her accent.

I was be the voice for something..

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:50pm
Clap I'm going to buy the magazine.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:53pm
I forgot Octavia was supposed to be doing the revamped Murder She Wrote tv show and them white people was having a fit.....

Thanks MK , I like him too plus I asked him cause he is a movie nut, he can tell you the bio of about every director ever and name almost every movie they directed. He said she needs her a lil miss sunshine, indie movie that gets noticed.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:54pm
Well she is a beauty.. I think it's going to be tough after winning an Oscar to pick the right role.... There has to be alot of pressure to beat that performance.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Well she is a beauty.. I think it's going to be tough after winning an Oscar to pick the right role.... There has to be alot of pressure to beat that performance.

Oscar curse......

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:57pm
Other than a cameo , tv would be a no go. I thought she could speak without her accent, if not she should work on that next.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:58pm
Told yall she would be better not winnin that damn award

but niccas love the Oscars

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:59pm

They don't understand.....she peaked way too early.....

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 12:59pm

And I certainly get that. But not having anything that we know of in the works, right now today, also doesn't mean that she'll never work land a good role again or that she's doomed to be a one-hit wonder. Who knows what she has going on behind the scenes to say?

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:24pm
did you guys think 12 years was a GREAT movie though??? 

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:25pm
No...it was okay....I feel like people felt forced to like it....

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:34pm
I feel forced to watch it...

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:36pm

did you guys think 12 years was a GREAT movie though??? 

It was a good film. I don't think that the story has the bones to be a great film, but it was beautifully shot and very well acted. Of all of the actors in the film, I'm surprised that the woman who lost her children didn't receive more buzz for her performance because I definitely saw her as more of a standout. I'm really hoping to see more from her because she's been great in everything I've seen her in.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:37pm
I felt obligated to see it after seeing Thor, I wish I would have just read the book. 

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

She's probably just selecting her roles more wisely. It's hard to follow an Oscar, especially as a new actress. Better that her next move be smart than fast. A bad move can kill a career...waiting  for the right role can only quiet a buzz.

No that wasn't it according to people I know in the industry.  But I hope it's perceived that wayBig smile

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:39pm

I don't think your assertion is correct.

I watched 12YAS finally on the plane.  I did like the movie--everyone acted really well in it.  I wondered how the fvck she collected that much damn cotton thoughLOL

tea: oh and I finally compared it to Jennifer Lawrence's role in that movie...I don't get how the FVCK she even got nominated for an Academy Award for it in the first place.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:40pm
A big part of lupita winning was her popularity

That's why I think she'll get roles.. It doesn't matter if you suck, wear costumes, diff colored wigs everyday (gaga and nickiesq) once u have fans.. They'll go support you.

If I was making a movie I'd put lupita in it cus I think some ppl will go see it cus of her. Same reason ppl put singers and rappers non-acting asses in shiit.. They have the fans.

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:42pm
Archiving this for those of you in here who think not booking 12 new roles within one month of her win will ruin her career 0_o. It's like yall want it to happen. The Oscars were literally last month. And now she's on the cover of People. Those are more accolades than 99% of young Hollywood. Chill.

And I thought 12 Years A Slave was an amazing movie. 

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Archiving this for those of you in here who think not booking 12 new roles within one month of her win will ruin her career 0_o. It's like yall want it to happen. The Oscars were literally last month. And now she's on the cover of People. Those are more accolades than 99% of young Hollywood. Chill.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

where are these histrionics coming from?Confused

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:53pm

No that wasn't it according to people I know in the industry.  But I hope it's perceived that wayBig smile

They're saying no one is sending her scripts and that she's in talks with no one?

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:53pm
this seems to be taking the turn that the other Lupita thread went ... 

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 1:59pm

They're saying no one is sending her scripts and that she's in talks with no one?

not that extreme. somewhere in the middle. She's changed agencies so she is obviously dissatisfied on some level.  I want her to win and be everywhere. 

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:03pm
*looks at the one movie she's rumored to be in*
*looks at the cast*
Hmmm...

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:04pm

not that extreme. somewhere in the middle. She's changed agencies so she is obviously dissatisfied on some level.  I want her to win and be everywhere. 

Fair enough Big smile

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:05pm
I agree 12 year didn't have what it need....I felt like the film was rushed or incomplete......which is why I say it wasn't a great film.....

TBH I think she will end up being type cast like most of black hollywood.....hollywood is a machine and one day they will celebrate you and the next they will watch you crash and burn in 3D with snacks.

I think an indie flick would be her best bet.....give her the ability to show her range because at this moment her resume is extremely short.

As I said before she will have to try 10x harder to prove herself and top herself.....she peaked way too early.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:06pm

Lol.. Not yet..
When I saw the title I already knew which posters would be in here getting defensive like ppl personally felt a way towards this woman.
You'd swear she's their mother

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

Lol.. Not yet..
When I saw the title I already knew which posters would be in here getting defensive like ppl personally felt a way towards this woman.
You'd swear she's their mother

I imagine certain people have a shrine or alter dedicated to Lupita in their closet next to their moist mixes and shea butter......and they chant :

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:30pm

I felt obligated to see it after seeing Thor, I wish I would have just read the book. 

LOL@Thor
I loved Thor!  I never saw 12YAS because seeing movies about slavery just makes me mad and angry.
off topic, but I can't wait to see Thor III.

How can Lupita have "peaked" already?  She just won that award 3 months ago and already she's on a downhill slide?Sleepy
  Crabs in a barrel Itellya

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

LOL@Thor
I loved Thor!  I never saw 12YAS because seeing movies about slavery just makes me mad and angry.
off topic, but I can't wait to see Thor III.

How can Lupita have "peaked" already?  She just won that award 3 months ago and already she's on a downhill slide?Sleepy
  Crabs in a barrel Itellya

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:37pm
She won she highest award she could get.
Where is there to go from here?

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

^^ another crab post...
She got best supporting actress award so now she can aim for best actress!

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:43pm
Yesss Ive already mentioned lupita posters all over the walls and obsessions
@ that visual though
Stawp

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:44pm

^^ another crab post...

LOLLOL

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:47pm
SSDD in these Lupita threads.

I'm here for it tho.Evil Smile

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 2:51pm
Reaching and also too much exposure is getting on my nerves.

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 3:01pm
Lets just enjoy her ride with her as long as it may last.
I'm happy for her and I'm not over thinking it. Clap

Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Katrenia Katrenia wrote:

Lets just enjoy her ride with her as long as it may last.
I'm happy for her and I'm not over thinking it. Clap

Great quote, let her enjoy it because everyone has their day in the sun.  Once the time is over, its is over.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 3:25pm
I rather peak with an Oscar than never to have peaked at all...ijs

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 4:30pm
Happy for her

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 6:51pm
I don't think it's too much, she needs to stay on that Beyonce/Rhianna always working and making headlines plan if she wants longevity.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Adinkrah Adinkrah wrote:

Hasn't she signed up to be in the adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche's Americanah?

I wonder what ever happened to half of a yellow sun as a movie?

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 6:58pm
Deserves it

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Originally posted by Adinkrah Adinkrah wrote:

I wonder what ever happened to half of a yellow sun as a movie?

Never mind it's coming out this summer according to Google, with mediocre reviews. I knew thandi was going to throw it off

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 7:15pm
Love her hair.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:02pm
Did anyone bring up Jennifer Hudson and her post Oscar career yet?

I'm so happy for lupita. I'm happy that it's actually a black woman. Mixed women r beautiful too, but yay

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:11pm

^^ another crab post...

Girl bye. 

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:15pm
I see Queen Lupita has caused another stir on bhm lol

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Did anyone bring up Jennifer Hudson and her post Oscar career yet?

I'm so happy for lupita. I'm happy that it's actually a black woman. Mixed women r beautiful too, but yay

well Jenn isn't a trained actress....Lupita is...and Jenn has been acting.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 9:20pm
I had no idea Jennifer Hudson has been acting. I am so out of the loop.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 9:27pm
Acting like she been eating right and exercising......

But seriously she was on the show Smash

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 9:32pm

Posted By: TayTay
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

They put on whoever's the 'it' girl of the moment.. Never fails

right

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

I had no idea Jennifer Hudson has been acting. I am so out of the loop.

You should download the inevitable defeat of Mr. and Pete. She did a terrific job.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 10:13pm
Monique is the Oscar winner who went on to do the least. IMO

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:33am
ohemmgee ohemgee

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 1:42am

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 8:17am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Clap

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 8:52am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Monique is the Oscar winner who went on to do the least. IMO

She was in an independent film recently but Monique didn't care about the Oscar.  She kinda even said it in her speech.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:50am
I sense jalousy of luppy

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 10:56am
Y'all hate a difference of opinion.....yall take that shyt personal as hell.....

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:02am
I cant really think of any person more deserving right now...except for rihanna.  If it wasn't for lupita they would've put that overrated basic Bush Jennifer Lawrence on the cover.  

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:05am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

I cant really think of any person more deserving right now...except for rihanna.  If it wasn't for lupita they would've put that overrated basic Bush Jennifer Lawrence on the cover.  
CryCry

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:07am
I like Jennifer Lawrence......better resume tbh......not saying she deserves the cover.....but can deny she's working....

Date Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:11am
LoL @ Rihanna. She bad but let's try to keep it classy.

Print Page | Close Window