Print Page | Close Window

Things About Your Home That Arent a Big Deal

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370187
Printed Date: Dec 09 2018 at 5:51pm

Topic: Things About Your Home That Arent a Big Deal
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Things About Your Home That Arent a Big Deal
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:26am
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/stop-worrying-7-things-about-your-home-that-arent-a-big-deal-202443" rel="nofollow -

- Stop Worrying: 7 Things About Your Home That Aren't a Big Deal

null

Do you fret over certain aspects of your home? Do they keep you up at night? Do you spend hours Googling (or Apartment Therapy-ing) for the answer that will fix your problem and tone down your home-related stress? There are plenty of things to worry about when it comes to home, but these seven things aren't them. Take the worries after the jump off your plate and spend your mental energy on enjoying your space and your life!

Don't worry...

1. That you've got a couple of half-finished DIY projects around the house
Hey, who doesn't? Unless there are live wires dangling near someone's head, don't worry about it. Don't get so relaxed that it never gets finished, but calmly create a finish schedule that gives you plenty of time to get it done and then try and enjoy the process!
When you should worry: If you haven't completed anything yet because you're afraid of making mistakes, get over that fear and finish. The pride of accomplishment will make up for the mental discomfort of getting over any DIY hurdles.

2. That it's not perfectly clean all the time
Isn't that always how it goes? You keep your house clean most of the time and then you have unexpected guests show up the one week it looks like you're auditioning for an episode of "Hoarders." Don't worry about it. And DON'T keep saying how it's usually much cleaner. Don't say these http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/practice-positive-3-things-to-stop-saying-to-your-homes-visitors-199868" rel="nofollow - three things either:
"Sorry for the mess"

"You'll have to excuse..."

Not accepting any praise and deflecting compliments

People just aren't http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/embracing-an-open-door-policy-your-guests-arent-judging-you-200628" rel="nofollow - judging you as much as you might think.
When to worry: If you start letting your dogs use the bathroom in the house or if there are any stacks of things threatening to topple onto someone.

3. That there's dog or cat fur all over your sofa (or floating in tufts across the floor)
Considering how many people count among their families furry friends, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who's going to judge you too hard for loving your pets so much you let them get comfy and make themselves at home.
When you should worry: If there's so much fur it ends up in the food you're serving — or if your or your guests' allergies are out of control.

4. That you've got an over-flowing junk drawer (or three)
As far as I'm concerned, a junk drawer or two is a healthy sign of a house being used. The aim's not to never have a junk drawer, just to be aware that they need to be cleaned out (and things put where they're supposed to go) every once and while.
When you should worry: When it starts to become junk closets, rooms and homes.

5. That you don't have a cleaning routine quite down yet
This basically goes against what we say in every post about figuring out a cleaning schedule that works for you. We totally think you should (you could do a http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-clean-your-house-in-20-minutes-a-day-for-30-days-131142" rel="nofollow - little bit every day or only http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/take-the-weekdays-off-the-complete-weekendonly-cleaning-plan-200099" rel="nofollow - clean on the weekends ) but if you don't have it figured out just yet, that's totally okay. We have faith you'll figure it out. The trick is to keep trying.
When you should worry: If you're on the once-a-year-the-day-before-holiday-guests-arrive-only cleaning routine schedule.

6. That it's not as big/nice/well-located as you think it should be by your age
If you feel like you should have a bigger house, or one with a manicured lawn or a two-car garage because you're in your 30s, 40s, 50s whenever, forget about it. The only thing that's important is whether you're happy with your home. That's part being active about making changes that will make your home work better and be healthier and another part http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/being-grateful-about-your-homes-unfixable-flaws-198840" rel="nofollow - appreciating what you have .
When you should worry: If you've tried every small-space maximizing trick in the book and there's still not enough room to live comfortably, it might be time for a move.

7. That it's not quite the way you want it to look yet
Neither is mine. But a true home http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/keep-it-simple-be-patient-advice-from-folks-with-warm-welcoming-homes-201023" rel="nofollow - takes patience . Just remember that this is your home, not anyone else's (so you http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/dont-worry-about-others-advice-on-creating-a-home-that-works-for-you-202591" rel="nofollow - shouldn't worry about what others think ).
When you should worry: Again, if it's fear that's getting in the way of it not looking the way you want after living in it for awhile. You might consider asking yourself http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/facing-home-decor-diy-fear-ask-yourself-these-questions-201426" rel="nofollow - some fear-busting questions .

What home worries have you decided aren't worth the mental distress? Share your tips for not worrying about certain things about home in the comments below!

more:
http://lifehacker.com/your-house-isnt-perfectly-clean-but-people-arent-judgi-1565375574

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/stop-worrying-7-things-about-your-home-that-arent-a-big-deal-202443

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/practice-positive-3-things-to-stop-saying-to-your-homes-visitors-199868

Replies:
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:34am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I will never agree with this list

LOL

i was just talking to a friend of mine about this.  she spends hours cleaning and it drives me crazy.  shes always having parties and get togethers and she spend most of the cleaning.  and i told her thats why i dont stay at you place longLOL  i like to feel comfortable.

Posted By: Merin
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:35am
I have a very large Master Bathroom and high ceilings in my Master Bedroom. Very very overrated.

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:40am

I had a get together and people were like do you want us to take our shoes off? lol no, I didn't ask you to

then a couple said this place is so nice, we don't want to mess it up we will stay at a hotel Confused

I'm like wtf, that's why we bought a sofa with a pull out option, why we have the guestroom and why we have an air mattress, we are okay with having guests

only thing is my decorative towels, I have complained about this before

don't mess with my towels

girl, if you dont go and buy separate guest towels and be done with itLOL

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:47am

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Don't say these three things either: 
"Sorry for the mess"

"You'll have to excuse..." 

Not accepting any praise and deflecting compliments
i know that's right, cause you're a lyin ass liar. LOL that's how your house looks. it's aight though. if we're cool enough for you to let me in your home (and vice versa), clearly we've passed the presentation stage. 

if it's my house, you come over twice and that's it. you know where everything is, i'm not getting up. love ya bruh. *shrug*  

eta: had to edit for weird spacing Confused

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:48am
I think junk drawers have purpose in everyone's home.

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:50am
I hate that damn furball that decides to come out when the bell rings.

I have paper towels above the mirror... people still walk their dripping hands asses across my living to get some from the kitchen.. tf. I removed my towels cause people's kids were using them like napkins. Im gonna go get some cute cheap one from target or somewhere

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:51am
what kind of pet harbouring filthy pasty she devil wrote this?

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:52am

That basket of clean laundry thats been sitting off to the side in my living room for the past 3 weeks....Yawns,  I'll get to it when I get to it. Other than that my apartment is usually spotless.

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:53am

a clean home is a comfortable home and a stress free home

fixed,

i hate coming home to a messy house

like after a day like today, coming to a mess and having to deal with that sh*t?? no sah!

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:58am
and sometimes you just wanna sit in your sh*t pleased with yourself like ... 'this is all me/us' we did good!!

and sip sangria or bottled water or whatever

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:07pm
lol.. im cleaning now. I wish I was a little more anal about it but im not. I clean certain places multiple times a wk tho and my apartment must be "drop in ready"

I can let things slide, like I haven't had a mat in my kitchen for a whiiiile cause I always wet the floor and it was annoying hanging it. I got one a cpl months ago and my dog peed on it the first night

Posted By: kerysdream7
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:08pm
Danny Tanner said it best. "A clean house is a happy house."

Posted By: JungleDrum
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:10pm
Dog hair all over furniture?

Nah son. Reminds of people at uni I see with cat hair all over their clothes. How can one live like that?

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

what kind of pet harbouring filthy pasty she devil wrote this?

dead God.. how'd I bypass this

if Im looking for something, I tear that area up.. every time so im constantly cleaning. I need a place for everything so I can just put it back, it makes cleaning so much easier. Take a shoe.. put it back on the shelf. I know im fkin up if I cant find something and its where its supposed to be. like not checking the closet for my coat cause I dropped it on the couch all week

some things I just wont do.. in college, I probably folded my clothes 5 times. I just wont do it. Now, I send them to be washed and they come back folded. My mother used to do it and after 17 yrs I supposed to change... nah

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:15pm
mess doesn't bother me, but poor hygiene does...i don't like a dirty bathroom or kitchen or animal fur everywhere

i could give a sh*t about clothes being everywhere...don't care

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:20pm
People just aren't  http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/embracing-an-open-door-policy-your-guests-arent-judging-you-200628" rel="nofollow - judging you  as much as you might think. 

This is a lie.. I can tell when someone hasn't cleaned up and when they're dirty.  I judge -WE judge!

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 1:17pm
I can't focus in a dirty house.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 2:36pm
how do you need a routine in order to clean your house? Why can't you just clean what's dirty and don't understand.

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 3:17pm
Sweet mother of God this thread is so anti-Virgo.

no.

bye.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

I have paper towels above the mirror... people still walk their dripping hands asses across my living to get some from the kitchen.. tf. I removed my towels cause people's kids were using them like napkins. Im gonna go get some cute cheap one from target or somewhere

LOLLOL my sister complained about this ALL weekend. Somebody wiped their dorito fingers on her decorative Easter kitchen towel (the ones hanging from the oven handle)

I laughed and laughed.. who the fck would do that. Bitch, wash your hands

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by kerysdream7 kerysdream7 wrote:

Danny Tanner said it best. "A clean house is a happy house."

Not that we're quoting Danny Tanner though DeadLOL

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

LOLLOL my sister complained about this ALL weekend. Somebody wiped their dorito fingers on her decorative Easter kitchen towel (the ones hanging from the oven handle)

I laughed and laughed.. who the fck would do that. Bitch, wash your hands

disrespectful btches that's who. One fcker threw the sh*t in the garbage. How dare you?

Lol.. youre lucky Samone

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 8:15pm
I hate using bar soap to wash my hands when I go to other people's houses. I think it's so disgusting lol

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 8:41pm
shyytttttttt who wrote this, I disagree with everything maybe except the junk drawer but mine is more like filled with post its, scissor, tape,index cards, etc. Me or hubby don't play with how the house is, when people come over they always say your house looks the same like it when you first moved in 2yrs ago its so clean...lol..and you can't walk up my stairs with shoes on..sorry not happening..lol... I love a clean and great smelling home.

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 8:45pm
oh and I hate when people wipe hands on my decorative towels when disposable paper towels are right there in the bathroom... I also spray down my toilet with clorox bleach spray when people leave my house.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:32pm

I have paper towels above the mirror... people still walk their dripping hands asses across my living to get some from the kitchen.. tf. I removed my towels cause people's kids were using them like napkins. Im gonna go get some cute cheap one from target dollar store or somewhere

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I hate using bar soap to wash my hands when I go to other people's houses. I think it's so disgusting lol

again....dollar store.  I don't understand it either.  U can get pump soap from the dollar store.  soap be sittin' marinatin' in it's own diseased juices in a soap dish.  just nasty.

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:36pm
I prefer to use paper towels if folks have them.  why u wanna wipe your hands on the same towel that errybody been using all day....all moist n'sh*t.  ugh. 

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

yes indeed!

My homie just moved into his own place and everything looks so nice.. exxxceept that. He thought he was fancy for having a pretty soap dish with this huge shea butter bar on it

until I peed and yelled out to him "I'm rubbing my vagina all over your soap" as  I washed my hands. He got the point and says he'll buy a pump

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by femmefatale85 femmefatale85 wrote:

mess doesn't bother me, but poor hygiene does...i don't like a dirty bathroom or kitchen or animal fur everywhere

i could give a sh*t about clothes being everywhere...don't care

word.  folks ain't scared to eat what comes out of my kitchen.  I live with a Virgo.  I need a fresh bowl to pee comfortably.  folks who know me know that i love a fresh bowl.  I complement folks on their fresh bowls.  U get's a fresh bowl when u come to my house.  How come I can't have one when I go to your house?

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 10:23pm
lol.. ND ill check the dollar store.

I put a liquid soap in my kitchen cause i hate when people waste dawn to wash their hands. I wont let you wash your hands in my kitchen... UNLESS were walking out or im mopping but not with my dawn/gain I wash my hands before leaving the house after ive taken out the garbage. I wash, grab a paper towel and walk out.

i did it at work too. I went back a wk later and those hos weren't using it. I made a comment, now its almost done lol

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 10:36pm
Most of that list sounded about par for the course for many homes. At least one or two are present in homes I've visited especially the junk drawer lol.

I once sat on a friends' couch in their cat's 'special cushion'. The cushion he could lay on and shed all the hair he wanted without punishment. Lawd my black slacks were gray on the back when I stood up.LOL

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 10:57pm
I only have to assume the author is filthy.  When I go home, I make sure to do a thorough job vacuuming because I don't want pet fur all over my clothes and in my food.  If you have an unfinished DIY project, it means you didn't really need whatever you were building in the first place. 

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:05pm
Me and my girl have our own rooms yet she spends most of her time in my room...junking it up while hers is all nice and neat. I'ma start kicking her out.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Me and my girl have our own rooms yet she spends most of her time in my room...junking it up while hers is all nice and neat. I'ma start kicking her out.

Omg you have my ideal living situation!
We were finally going to have that but my sis had to decide to move here.Cry

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:37pm
I want that living situation too! Tell us more about it. Do y'all always sleep together? Always your room?

Print Page | Close Window