Print Page | Close Window

Gang Member Sobs at Sentencing, We Shrug

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370139
Printed Date: Jun 19 2018 at 3:56pm

Topic: Gang Member Sobs at Sentencing, We Shrug
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Gang Member Sobs at Sentencing, We Shrug
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 1:25pm

Watch: ‘I Can’t Spend my Life in Prison,’ Gang Member Sobs at Sentencing

Brandon Spencer, 21, was sentenced to 40 years in prison for spraying bullets into a crowd in pursuit of a rival gang member.

By:
Posted:

A 21-year-old man, convicted of attempted murder for firing shots at a rival gang member at a University of Southern California campus party, sobbed and pleaded for leniency during his sentencing Friday, http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-usc-shooter-20140419,0,4759781.story" rel="nofollow - the Los Angeles Times reports.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Edmund W. Clarke Jr. sentenced Brandon Spencer to 40 years to life in prison, following his February conviction on four counts of attempted murder, the Times writes. The shooting, which occurred at a Halloween party in 2012, was the first on the campus in decades, the report says.

In a dramatic courtroom scene, sheriff’s deputies tried to calm Spencer as he banged his head on the defense table as he pleaded for leniency. About 50 supporters and family members sat behind him as asked Judge Clarke for a second chance, the report says.

"I'm sorry for what happened but I can't spend the rest of my life in prison," Spencer said through tears, the Times reports. "I'm not just some gang-banger that they portrayed me as."

Spencer had no criminal record, was working as a security guard and had planned to attend college, his attorney, John Blanchard, said, according to the Times. Further, during his trial, Blanchard said there was no credible evidence that Spencer was the gunman.

But law enforcement authorities argue that after arriving at a crowded Halloween party and spotting Geno Hall, 22, a rival gang member, Spencer left and returned with a gun. Upon his return, Spencer reportedly shot Hall and continued firing as Hall ran and the crowd dispersed, the Times says. Hall, who had reportedly shot and wounded Spencer a year earlier, was among the four people injured, the report says.

Spencer, then 19, tried to run after the shooting, but was arrested in a campus parking lot, the report says. Prosecutors said during trial that Spencer deserved a stiff punishment for shooting into a crowd of people in an effort to settle a score with a rival gang member, the Times says.

During sentencing, Judge Clarke denounced gang violence, but rebuffed a request from prosecutors that Spencer be sentenced to consecutive 40-year prison terms for each of the four counts of attempted murder, which adds up to a life sentence, the Times reports. He ruled that the sentences would run concurrently, meaning Spencer could eventually be eligible for parole, the report says.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/04/brandon_spencer_sentenced_to_40_years_to_life_in_usc_party_shooting.html

Replies:
Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 1:32pm
Thats a long time for a murder.....but he's black so.....not surprised....

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 1:37pm
woo wooo woooooo

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 1:41pm
Shooting in a crowd of people then crying once you get punished..priceless

Now, the article present some doubts- was he identified as the gunmen?

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 1:54pm
i was willing, but then i stopped here:
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Brandon Spencer, 21, was sentenced to 40 years in prison for spraying bullets into a crowd in pursuit of a rival gang member.
yeah, no. 

think before you act and have a nice trip. *shrug*

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Ladycoils Ladycoils wrote:

Shooting in a crowd of people then crying once you get punished..priceless

Now, the article present some doubts- was he identified as the gunmen?

in the video he said im sorry for what happened... i made a mistake.  at no point did he say it wasnt me.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:00pm
He did deserve every single year they gave him....

But in situations like this why is there no one here blaming the unfair system for the decision he made in his life?

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:22pm
Lmfaoooo I guess they didn't go over jail time during his gang orientation

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:33pm
He deserves to go to jail if he did the crime. But did he do it? What kind of softie gangbanger is this? His reaction makes me wonder. What did he expect would happen?

Not sure about life in prison, though since this was attempted murder and not murder. 20 years would have made more sense.

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:37pm
^^^^ 4 attempted murders...maybe 10yrs for each count served consecutively?

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:42pm
It doesn't say in what manner the other four people were injured. Were they shot or were they hurt running away?

I don't feel sorry for him because 1) he had a gun so that tells me he had bad intentions (my opinion) and 2) what he did was bold. 

But I agree with him, they couldn't give me life either, I don't care what I did. They would have to give me death.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

It might have been the logic behind it. But I'm thinking he has no priors, he's remorseful and no one died. I guess the afluenza defense didn't work for him. If he did it, his ass does need to be in jail though, I'm not disputing that.

Posted By: demilee27
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:44pm
Wow, they should lessen the sentence for attempted murder

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

It doesn't say in what manner the other four people were injured. Were they shot or were they hurt running away?

I don't feel sorry for him because 1) he had a gun so that tells me he had bad intentions (my opinion) and 2) what he did was bold. 

But I agree with him, they couldn't give me life either, I don't care what I did. They would have to give me death.

I don't feel sorry for him, mind you. Just noticing how stiff your system is.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:47pm
Meanwhile, we Canadians have nothing but bullsheit sentences over here. No middle ground.

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 4:08pm

Yeah, how the is that "too long"? He's damn near getting a deal.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 4:17pm

smh. i dont feel for him...
eta--i take that back...i do feel for him..his life is basically over now...very sad

but firing into a crowd of people?

life is unfair but this is no excuse

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Mixer Mixer wrote:

Yeah, how the is that "too long"? He's damn near getting a deal.

It's 40 yrs for each count served concurrently. 

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 4:37pm
Damn.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 4:45pm
Don't really have an issue with his punishment.

I do wish punishment was equal and fair across the board tho.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 5:11pm
F*ck him. He was extremely reckless and didn't give two sh*ts about other people's lives so why should I care about this cryin ass negro? Die in prison. I don't care.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 5:46pm
Definitely agree serious punishment is warranted but at the same time what is the point of pretty much placing someone in the custody of a state government for 40yrs?  I mean what does the public gain?  I'm not sure about this sh*t anymore.  I'm over this criminal justice system because the Prison Industrial Complex profits greatly from this yet there is no restitution or benefit to anyone.   So much money would be saved.   Prolonged incarceration is completely pointless.  Its just a replacement for indentured servitude that benefits those who have absolutely no skin in the game.  Just hold a firing squad where the family gets to exact swift justice and be done with it.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

He did deserve every single year they gave him....

But in situations like this why is there no one here blaming the unfair system for the decision he made in his life?

Nobody is blaming the 'unfair system' because as long as he knows the difference between right and wrong... he knows it's wrong to start shooting up a crowd of people. DUH! Regardless of the reason. No amount of bad home training is gonna excuse this bad behavior.

You can't keep blaming 'the system' for all the bad choices you make in life. At some point you've gotta man up and DECIDE to do something for yourself REGARDLESS of how you were raised.

If not (shrugs) you will end up in prison like the rest of the thugs that couldn't figure it out.

I don't feel sorry for this fool. What did he THINK was gonna happen when he got caught for shooting those people?

Hope he rots in prison.. but he'll be out in 15 for good behavior, prison overcrowding etc. (Of course, he will probably have a big torn up A hole by then...)

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:38pm
You completely missed the point I was tryna make...

Posted By: MissinCali
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:51pm
Ok bye!!

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

F*ck him. He was extremely reckless and didn't give two sh*ts about other people's lives so why should I care about this cryin ass negro? Die in prison. I don't care.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 12:03am
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

Lmfaoooo I guess they didn't go over jail time during his gang orientation
LOLCryDead

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 12:43am
shrugs

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:33am
if he fired into a group of gangsters cool.. but he fired into a group of innocents

fucck him

Print Page | Close Window