Print Page | Close Window

Oakland senior has a 5.0 GPA; scored 2100 on SAT

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370122
Printed Date: Sep 19 2018 at 6:31am

Topic: Oakland senior has a 5.0 GPA; scored 2100 on SAT
Posted By: sexyandfamous
Subject: Oakland senior has a 5.0 GPA; scored 2100 on SAT
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:53pm

Oakland senior's mark of success: top college admissions

• Akintunde Ahmad's 5.0 GPA, SAT and AP scores caught the eye of an array of highly selective colleges. Photo: Michael Short, The Chronicle

When http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Akintunde+Ahmad" rel="nofollow - Akintunde Ahmad walked into the library at http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Oakland+Technical+High+School" rel="nofollow - Oakland Technical High School to talk to http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Yale+University" rel="nofollow - Yale University recruiters making their annual East Bay stop in January, some of the other student hopefuls turned and stared.

With dreadlocks draping his shoulders, and his 6-foot-1 frame in the sweatpants and T-shirt he had thrown on after baseball practice, it sure may have seemed like this guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But 'Tunde, as he is called by friends and family, was right where he was supposed to be.

The 17-year-old Oak Tech senior received an acceptance letter from Yale last week to prove it. He also has offers from Brown, Columbia, Northwestern, the http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=University+of+Southern+California" rel="nofollow - University of Southern California , UCLA, Howard, Chapman, Cal Poly and Cal State East Bay, and has been waitlisted by UC Berkeley and Georgetown.

"People looking at me funny is so common that it doesn't stick out for me anymore," says Akintunde, who has a 5.0 GPA and scored 2100 (out of 2400) on the SAT. "It's something that I've gotten used to."

Young and strong, athletic and African American, 'Tunde describes himself like "any other street dude on 98th Avenue," the neighborhood where he grew up and lives. Perhaps that's why he has often been overlooked and underestimated - and left alone to quietly go about his business.

"I'll leave this school and there will be teachers who never knew I was one of the people on the honor roll," he said.  Shocked

He's met private-school students who've suggested that his achievements are the result of easy classes and a low bar for academics at public schools. He doesn't need to defend his GPA, or his appearance on the honor roll for every semester that he's been in high school. Instead he prefers comparing SAT and AP scores, and that usually shuts them up.Clap

'No private tutors'

"Oakland public schools all the way through," he says, jokingly pounding a fist to his breast. "No private tutors or private schools. This is strictly OUSD."

He's one of six children raised by his parents, Zarina and http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Mubarak+Ahmad" rel="nofollow - Mubarak Ahmad , who are, dare I say it, a stereotypical American family. 'Tunde's mother, Zarina, is an educator who began her career as an Oakland schoolteacher. She is now the principal at http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Piedmont+Avenue+Elementary+School" rel="nofollow - Piedmont Avenue Elementary School . His father, Mubarak, has worked as a mechanic at http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=AC+Transit" rel="nofollow - AC Transit for 20 years.

The family practices the Rastafari religion - and it's why 'Tunde wears dreads. He's never had a haircut in his life, Mubarak Ahmad said. The family has worked hard to raise all their children right, instill in them good values and encourage them to steer clear of trouble.

Like many responsible parents, they are willing to work for however long it takes, sacrifice everything, to ensure their kids can enjoy a better life than they have.

With 'Tunde, encouragement wasn't necessary, because he did things without being asked, on his own initiative - a trait he has always had.

"I've never tried to cross any boundaries or anything like that," 'Tunde said. "I'm just good at following directions, and no good ever comes from challenging a Parental Unit."

Despite their best efforts, 'Tunde's parents were not able to steer their older son, Azeem, away from the dangers awaiting a young African American man on the streets of Oakland.

Father's advice

"I've always told my boys that it's very easy to get into trouble, but very hard to get out of it," Mubarak Ahmad said.

Mubarak Ahmad worried about Azeem. And silently, so did 'Tunde.

Mubarak warned Azeem that a person he was hanging out with would one day get him caught up in trouble, and sadly, he was right.

In 2012, Azeem was caught carrying guns to be used in an Oakland stash house robbery that turned out to be a federal sting operation. He was convicted on conspiracy charges and shipped off to a federal prison in March 2013, sentenced to 41 months.

"We got the same mother, the same father, just a different path," 'Tunde said. "I feel like it's a setback for him, but sometimes it takes that kind of shock to grab your attention."

'Tunde's got an old man's brain working in a young man's body, and while he may sound bookish, he's anything but one-dimensional.

He's a student-athlete who played basketball for three years - until deciding to focus solely on baseball this year. He was the MVP of the http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Oakland+Athletic+League" rel="nofollow - Oakland Athletic League baseball in 2013, hitting around .500 with 15 or so stolen bases. He expects to play baseball where ever he goes to college next fall.

He's a member of the http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Young+Musicians+Choral+Orchestra" rel="nofollow - Young Musicians Choral Orchestra , and plays trumpet, French horn and the djembe - a West African drum.

His work ethic is as much a part of him as an extremity, and his commitment to his time-management regimen may have saved his life.

In January 2013, two months before his brother was incarcerated, 'Tunde declined an invitation from Azeem to hang out at a friend's house because he had an essay due for school. At that house, five people were shot, including his brother, who suffered two gunshot wounds.

"There's plenty of people I know who have been killed," he said. "I could write a list starting in elementary school of all the people we grew up with who have been killed."

"I could have easily been caught up in that life. You don't have to be a bad person to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Fortunately, 'Tunde has so far shown impeccable timing, both on the baseball field and in the classroom.

Besides playing some baseball, he plans to go into pre-med or pre-law.

"That's what I'm thinking, but I'm still undecided," he said.

Replies:
Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:03pm
Congrats! 

It says he's African American, but his name and his parents' names make me wonder how far back. It seems non American blacks tend to excel higher than American blacks. I know the reasons for it but I'm just wondering because they made a point to say he's African American.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:05pm
He needs to take his ass to Howard.

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:05pm
I honestly didn't know it was common knowledge that Africans tend to excel higher that AAs.  

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:14pm
What I liked about this article was that it focused on who he is, not on where he was accepted.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:15pm
@Sang, funny you say that, because meanwhile, at the College of Charleston......

""I, Too, AM COFC" is a Black Student Union campaign inspired by Harvard University's "I, TOO, AM Harvard." Our intent is to grab the attention of students, faculty, and administrators to the ongoing diversity related issues on our campus, including our college's presidential search. These issues have been overlooked, or simply gone unnoticed. With the "I, TOO, AM COFC" campaign, we are demanding attention and we are demanding action, because 6% percent is simply not enough. Focus needs to be put on recruitment and especially retention. We do not feel welcomed at the College of Charleston and Black Student Union desires a campus that is inclusive and welcoming to ALL students. Here are our struggles."

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:19pm
"Instead he prefers comparing SAT and AP scores, and that usually shuts them up."Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:24pm
^^^^^^I loved that! Some people always underestimate your value and education; I am glad that he beats them without putting his hands on them: just a look at his SAT score and they are like

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:36pm
I would love to see some of those CAC faces when he shows his SAT scores....this is awesome he is a well rounded young man

Posted By: ThABxBoRoUgH
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 8:58pm
I actually met him 2 weeks ago when he visited my university! Such a sweet kid. My friends and I totally creeped up on him (we're graduate students) and told him that we were proud of his achievements. He seemed really gracious.

I did ask if he was Nigerian and he said its a bit complicated. He is African American and I think his family maybe/thinks/knows that they are of Nigerian descent amongst other things. Nonetheless, he is bomb and I hope he chooses to come to my school Cool

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 9:44pm
I don't care where his blackness comes from - I think the kid is smart and intelligent, and I hope to read about him again, doing something big.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

it wasn't till I started posting on this board that I realized a black win isn't really seen as an overall black win

we first have to see what type of black they are and then make more comments lol

Ya know! *sips juice*

Congrats to him for kicking ass and taking names!! ClapClap

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:41am
That is fabulous. He seems to be well rounded. 

Posted By: nemesis1
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 7:21am
Clap Clap

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 9:01am
oh wow!! damn!!! ClapClapClap

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 9:55am

it wasn't till I started posting on this board that I realized a black win isn't really seen as an overall black win

we first have to see what type of black they are and then make more comments lol

This.....and its usually from the "enlightened" pro black posters......*side eye activated*

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 10:42am
yaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssss!  i'm not surprised either.  i've seen similar time and time and time again with my own self eyes   the media will have you thinking the only thing that can sprout out from inner city public schools is....well you already know...rolls eyes...

cheater proof...

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:26am
I wonder where he hangs out and who with..

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

In January 2013, two months before his brother was incarcerated, 'Tunde declined an invitation from Azeem to hang out at a friend's house because he had an essay due for school. At that house, five people were shot, including his brother, who suffered two gunshot wounds.

sounds like he was probably hanging with his brother as well sometimes.  i've seen this too.   people who have friends that are on questionable shyt yet still continue on to do something other than that.  from what i have observed anyway, questionables generally really don't try to recruit nonquestionables.   sure...they could be around each other but not REALLY involved in the bs...its really a weird ecosystem in the hood...lol

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:45am
hoodlums/rats flock to some 'unquestionables'

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:55am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

hoodlums/rats flock to some 'unquestionables'

hmmmm.... i think the "some" you may be referring to are those on the fence (read...weak mindedOuch) or what i typically see as "sheltered" unquestionables.  meaning THEY themselves aren't really unquestionable by nature...

it's complex i admit...but i guess since i lived it and experienced it first hand...it seems natural to me... 

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 12:10pm

Pretty much

Ridiculous

Black American. African. African American. 1st generation African American. Does it really matter?

Labels aside, can we just take a min to appreciate another positive representation and achievement of a minority. 

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 12:11pm
And great thread.

I'm not surprised when I read stories like this - we have many talented and educated individuals in our community; they just don't get fair representation in the media. 

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 12:18pm

Rep your set!LOL

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 12:33pm
Congrats to him! 

If you are referring to the poster asking where he is from, I think it is because of his name that she asked. If you have a non American sounding name people are quick to ask/guess where you are from. If not then carry on.

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 12:57pm
I saw him on the news a few weeks ago. That is awesome- its been great to hear/see multiple stories of young black men excelling to the existent that " the others" can't deem their success as an exception.

Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 1:00pm
There are a lot of gems in Oakland. I am proud to see a local black young man excel. Clap

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:40pm
They stated fifty times he is African American and his name is 'Tunde. It is a documented fact other ethnicities besides African Americans excel higher. It is what it is. Y'all be tryna censor people. Get a life.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:45pm
Chile you wish I was mad. Those were my thoughts and I'm gon speak my thoughts and I will not take into consideration who do or don't like it.  Like I care what you care about. Facts are facts.

Your first post in this thread wasn't a congrats to him or in any way positive. It was shade to me because that is what your life is like. Hence get a life. Thanks, bye.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:46pm
Sleepy

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Sleepy

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:49pm

Sure it wasn't. Y'all really need to learn how to ignore me because you ain't gon change me. I don't care what y'all think. It's high time y'all realized that.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:52pm
Sooooo lets get back to this amazing black man and his accomplishments!

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Sooooo lets get back to this amazing black man and his accomplishments!

Exactly.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:54pm
Please don't quote me....thanx.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:54pm
Bitch please...

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:56pm
Right....2100 on his SATs! No prep or private tutoring.....thats amazing as hell....Lord I hope the white women don't get him.

Posted By: demilee27
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:59pm
I'm proud of that kid

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:05pm

...Lord I hope the white women don't get him.

I was wondering about this...

I was gonna say I'd talk to him cus his future is bright and he's close and I hope he doesn't go far for school..
But then I started thinkin about all the whites that will be swarming around his testicles Ouch

Stay strong Akinde

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:05pm
He comes from a family of Rastafarians though, so his name is not necessarily indicative of his background. They like to take on African sounding names.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:06pm
I wish they had a picture from the front. He looks fineeeeee...

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:09pm
this thread

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:12pm
Kocky pay that no mind.....

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:18pm
sheesh he looks 30

I just read a lil more... uc Berkeley and Georgetown waitlisted him....?Ermm Someone with a 5.0 and 2100?
Now I'm wondering what his classes were too..

What are his goals?
Eta.. aaaand basketball, baseball mvp.. and plays trumpet and horn???
Ive met ppl with way less that got into uc Berkeley..

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:25pm

Oh, ok, I changed my mind. Well at least he's smart, lol

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

...Lord I hope the white women don't get him.

I was wondering about this...

I was gonna say I'd talk to him cus his future is bright and he's close and I hope he doesn't go far for school..
But then I started thinkin about all the whites that will be swarming around his testicles Ouch

Stay strong Akinde

These white women don't care about looks.....he finna get tooken

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:32pm
the Rastafarian thing gives me some faith that he'll prefer a strong black woman..
Probably natural... 
I got a few friends for him.. 

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:33pm
QuestionI was also wondering why UC Berkeley would waitlist someone with those stats. Perhaps to make sure all the whites get in first before letting blacks in?

That reminds me of the Rule Of Three that I learned in African American studies class: back in the early 20's, white officials would hire a white person who scored second or third, over a black who scored FIRST place, for a government job. And when a black was hired, it was usually unskilled job, thus perpetrating the idea that blacks can only do menial jobs.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:48pm
I read in another interview that he is unsure between pre-law or pre-medSmile

eta: I guess he got no scholarships... he created a page asking for donations to pay for his tuition

http://www.gofundme.com/85lma0" rel="nofollow - http://www.gofundme.com/85lma0

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:54pm
http://admissions.berkeley.edu/studentprofile#main-content" rel="nofollow - Skip to main content
http://admissions.berkeley.edu/" rel="nofollow">

http://berkeley.edu/" rel="nofollow - Berkeley.edu

• http://admissions.berkeley.edu/starthere" rel="nofollow - START HERE
  • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/academics" rel="nofollow - ACADEMICS
    • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/colleges" rel="nofollow - COLLEGES & SCHOOLS
    • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/majors" rel="nofollow - MAJORS & MINORS
    • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/studentprofile" rel="nofollow - STUDENT PROFILE
    • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/academicsupport" rel="nofollow - ACADEMIC SUPPORT
    • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/research" rel="nofollow - RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES
    • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/studyabroad" rel="nofollow - STUDY ABROAD
  • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/tuition" rel="nofollow - TUITION
  • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/beberkeley" rel="nofollow - BE BERKELEY
  • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/visit" rel="nofollow - VISIT
  • http://blog.admissions.berkeley.edu/" rel="nofollow - BLOG
  • http://admissions.berkeley.edu/search/node/" rel="nofollow - SEARCH
http://admissions.berkeley.edu/studentprofile#" rel="nofollow - minimize

STUDENT PROFILE

Be excellent.

Becoming a Golden Bear requires more than a test score. To “be Berkeley” requires persistence. And passion. And a desire to give back. It doesn’t matter whether you’re the first in your family to attend college or you’re the latest in a long tradition of educational excellence: You stand up and you stand out.

Keep in mind that UC Berkeley receives far more applications than it can admit. Consequently, to gain admission, you need to present an academic profile much stronger than that represented by the minimum  http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/" rel="nofollow - University of California admission requirements.

Student Profile

Freshmen 
* Based on Office of Undergraduate Admissions data; enrollment estimate as of 4/15/13.
GPA3.90 (unweighted)
4.37 (weighted)
ACT (25th & 75th percentiles)29-34
SAT Math (25th & 75th percentiles)660-770
SAT Reading (25th & 75th percentiles)630-740
SAT Writing (25th & 75th percentiles)640-760
 2013  2012  
*Based on Office of Undergraduate Admissions freshman data as of 6/8/13.
 ApplicationsAdmits%ApplicationsAdmits%
Total: Freshman67,70114,15820.9%61,69513,03721.1%
Fall 11,94517.6% 10,89617.7%
Spring 2,213  2,141 
 CA ResidentOut-of-StateInternational
*Based on Office of Undergraduate Admissions freshman data as of 7/30/13.
Admits/Apps9,124 / 42,5483,341 / 13,8561,647 / 11,288 
Admit Rate21.4%24.1%14.6%
Avg. GPA Apps3.603.73.69
Avg. GPA Admit3.893.923.9
Avg. SAT Apps183919851980
Avg. SAT Admit204421412132
Avg. ACT Apps273028
Avg. ACT Admit303331
Transfer 
* Based on Office of Undergraduate Admissions data; enrollment estimate as of 7/30/13.
College GPA3.77
 2013  2012  
*Based on Office of Undergraduate Admissions freshman data as of 7/30/13.
 ApplicationsAdmits%ApplicationsAdmits%
Total: Transfers15,9893,91624.5%15,7453,81924.3%
Fall 3,396  3,391 
Spring 520  428 

What we look for in Berkeley students

Here at UC Berkeley we conduct what is known as  http://admissions.berkeley.edu/selectsstudents" rel="nofollow - holistic review . That means, we review each application in its entirety, word by word, page by page. We literally hug your application!

While grades and test scores are important and our applicant pool is highly competitive, we read each application individually—looking beyond the numbers—for students who can add to the extraordinary educational atmosphere at Berkeley.

http://admissions.berkeley.edu/deadlinesdates" rel="nofollow - Start your application early  and distinguish yourself by writing about your own experience in a way that sets you apart from other applicants.

Learn more

http://www.cappex.com/colleges/University-of-California-at-Berkeley/admissions#WAMC" rel="nofollow - "What Are My Chances" calculator (from Cappex.com)

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/Berkeley_Profil.htm" rel="nofollow - Additional Stats for SAT and Admissions

http://admissions.berkeley.edu/personalstatement" rel="nofollow - The Personal Statement

http://admissions.berkeley.edu/selectsstudents" rel="nofollow - How Berkeley Selects Students

http://opa.berkeley.edu/AnalysesReports/Fall2012SnapshotBerkeleyUndergraduates.pdf" rel="nofollow - Profile of UC Berkeley Undergraduates | Office of Planning & Analysis

http://admissions.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/docs/UCB-overview-factsheet_2013.pdf" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

I read in another interview that he is unsure between pre-law or pre-medSmile

eta: I guess he got no scholarships... he created a page asking for donations to pay for his tuition

http://www.gofundme.com/85lma0" rel="nofollow - http://www.gofundme.com/85lma0

I hope y'all support him like ya'll did that lady......Stern Smile

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 4:03pm
Well I'm glad he got into many other great schools... 

maybe his parents make too much... 
I think he'll get lots of donations.. ppl are gonna act like he's a unicorn.. Although I do love the way he looks.. 

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 4:07pm
Georgetown will waitlist people in a heartbeat... i heard

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 4:11pm
I have a question about this 5.0....cause my school only let us get up to a 4.6.
We could only weight like 3 classes I think.
That's not fair. Stern Smile

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:27pm

Get out of my head so sad...Why can't we be great no matter if you African or Black American..so sad..smh..

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by purpulicious01 purpulicious01 wrote:

Pretty much

Ridiculous

Black American. African. African American. 1st generation African American. Does it really matter?

Labels aside, can we just take a min to appreciate another positive representation and achievement of a minority. 

EXACTLY!!!!Clap

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

yaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssss!  i'm not surprised either.  i've seen similar time and time and time again with my own self eyes   the media will have you thinking the only thing that can sprout out from inner city public schools is....well you already know...rolls eyes...

cheater proof...

Clap

yes
love it.

Clap

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:30pm
What truthConfused

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:31pm
Y'all be runnin from the truth full speed LOL

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:37pm
I was confused why they waitlisted him..smh and why he was not offered a full scholarship with a 5.0 average...

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:37pm

Originally posted by MsBMW MsBMW wrote:

What truthConfused

edited.....may have been a bit too harsh

AAs are not as successful as other blacks
This truth. Yeah I asked a question. So what? It is what it is. Bury your heads in the sand if you want to. How many people in here complaining said congratulations?

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by MsBMW MsBMW wrote:

Get out of my head so sad...Why can't we be great no matter if you African or Black American..so sad..smh..

Did I say he couldn't be great? Not sure what you're talking about here.

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:41pm
and this is a repost by the way

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:42pm
We still doing this.....now I know how y'all use to feel.......lmao

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:44pm

star you are missing the point

my point is I don't care to find out what tribe someone belongs to, I just think "that is great"

no matter their name, where they live, etc....my first reaction is awesome

nothing more nothing less

I don't even need to reflect on who is doing better than whoor why in that moment

That is your prerogative. I have the right to wonder about whatever I want to wonder about. You must be mad that he's Nigerian or whatever since you want to take issue with me asking about it. Got damn. I said how I felt. Leave it alone. Y'all act like y'all gotta argue with everything I say. If you don't like it you can just ignore it.

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:45pm
More people cared about what I said than the damn original article. Once again congratulations to him and is he African or what and that's all I got to say. Moving on.

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:48pm
I'm over it.

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:51pm
Let's all just be happy a negro is going to college. Jeebus!LOL

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:56pm

maybe if AAs receiving college degrees and advanced degrees were foreign to me, I may feel some type of way

but since it's not, no feelings have been caught over here

fucccking hell!

i need to sit down for a bit

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:57pm

maybe if AAs receiving college degrees and advanced degrees were foreign to me, I may feel some type of way

but since it's not, no feelings have been caught over here

Ok right.

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:00pm
Is that guy twerkin' it in a handstand?LOL

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:00pm

I thought you were over it

I was not implying that it is foreign to you

but you are like that 112 song Cupid

you twist sh*t up

You petty as f*ck.

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:01pm
Stern Smile

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:04pm

how am I petty?

seriously, do smoke weed regularly?

See what I mean?

And please I don't need anybody to agree with me and when I say andybody I do mean andybody. That's petty shyt.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:05pm
super proud of him!  There's been a debate for years about the inequality of resources at Oakland Tech High in comparison to Piedmont High(white) which is like a mile away...it's great to see someone from there winning.  

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:07pm

you called me petty before I asked about weed

you seem paranoid, that's why I asked

That was just another example. You been petty.

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:29pm
Go ahead young brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 4:11pm
He was on Ellen today and she/Shutterfly gave him a check for $15K.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

He was on Ellen today and she/Shutterfly gave him a check for $15K.

OMG that's awesome! I need to find the link for his fundraiser. I wonder how much he got so far.

eta: found Ouch less than 2k http://www.gofundme.com/85lma0" rel="nofollow - http://www.gofundme.com/85lma0

Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 12:56am

More awards, cash for Yale-bound Akintunde Ahmad

Chip Johnson
Published 5:23 pm, Monday, May 19, 2014
//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Fbayarea%2Fjohnson%2Farticle%2FMore-awards-cash-for-Yale-bound-Akintunde-Ahmad-5490393.php&media=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Fimg%2Fpages%2Farticle%2Fopengraph_default.png&guid=PdR1M0bm79pe-0&description=More+awards%2C+cash+for+Yale-bound+Akintunde+Ahmad" rel="nofollow - - 0

The http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Oakland+Raiders" rel="nofollow - Oakland Raiders will fling open the doors to their Alameda headquarters gift shop Tuesday and give http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Oakland+Technical+High+School" rel="nofollow - Oakland Technical High School senior http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Akintunde+Ahmad" rel="nofollow - Akintunde Ahmad the shopping spree of a lifetime.

"We want to load him up with Raider products so when he steps onto the Yale campus next fall, he can do it in Raider style," said http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Mike+Taylor" rel="nofollow - Mike Taylor , a team spokesman.

What was once a family joke has become reality. Mubarak Ahmad, Akintunde's father, would say, "I want to grow up to be just like 'Tunde."

Now, a lot of people want to be like 'Tunde. Or connect with him. Or take a selfie with him. Anything.

Life has been a whirlwind since the story of the young man from East Oakland with the 5.0 grade-point average and a fistful of admission offers from http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Ivy+League" rel="nofollow - Ivy League schools hit the Internet.

In the last month, Ahmad has been featured on everything from YouTube videos to national talk shows.

Since I wrote about the academic wunderkind in an April 4 column, he has trended like a member of the Kardashian clan, and has flown from one talk show interview to the next.

He appeared on most of the Bay Area's local news stations and did an interview on MSNBC along with his mother, Zarina, an elementary school principal at Oakland's http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Piedmont+Avenue+Elementary+School" rel="nofollow - Piedmont Avenue Elementary School .

By late April, when he appeared on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show", Ahmad was comfortable in front of the cameras. When he was introduced, he halted for a quick two-step move before sitting down.

He surprised everyone by announcing on "Ellen" that he would attend http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Yale+University" rel="nofollow - Yale University this fall. He then received a surprise of his own: a game-show-size check for $15,000 from Shutterfly, an online photo, card and album company in Redwood City.

The gift came as his parents were scrambling to find a way to come up with nearly $20,000 for the coming school year, their portion of the first-year tuition costs.

The check was the "biggest" cash award, but not the only honor Ahmad has received.

That all of this has happened a month before Ahmad even turned 18 years old has not swelled the young man's head, a characteristic his parents attribute to their son's "old soul." He's a young man with the wisdom of an old man. He took it all in stride.

"I'm kind of surprised by the amount of support (I've received) and how the story took off," Ahmad said in a phone interview on Friday. "I never expected it would be all of this, but I'm definitely embracing it, and I'm glad it happened because it's helped a lot."

Ahmad has also received a $1,500 scholarship from Bay Area restaurant chain Burma Superstar in partnership with the http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Golden+State+Warriors" rel="nofollow - Golden State Warriors . On May 30, he is scheduled to toss out the first pitch at the A's game against the Los Angeles Angels. He has raised $2,500 on his own through a crowdfunding website, GoFundMe. By graduation day, June 11, he should have almost enough to pay for his first year of college.

His airfare and accommodations for his college visits back East to Columbia, Brown and Yale universities were paid for by a donor who has also pledged to help support Ahmad throughout his college career. And Taylor and the Raiders need not worry about Ahmad's clothing options. He may be one of Yale's most fashionable freshmen next year.

In addition to the Raiders, four clothing lines, Pink Dolphin, Creative Class, Benny Gold and Oakland's signature shop, Oaklandish, have given him shirts, hats and gear with an Oakland sign, symbol or name.

Even as his outstanding academic achievements are recognized, Ahmad continues to rack up the trophies.

Ahmad, the http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Oakland+Tech+Bulldogs" rel="nofollow - Oakland Tech Bulldogs starting center fielder for the last two years, was named Student Athlete of the Year in the Oakland region by the http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=California+Interscholastic+Federation" rel="nofollow - California Interscholastic Federation , the governing body for high school sports. The honor included a $2,000 cash award. He is also a candidate for Student Athlete of the Year in the http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Oakland+Athletic+League" rel="nofollow - Oakland Athletic League .

He was recognized by the http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Oakland+City+Council" rel="nofollow - Oakland City Council , which passed a resolution to salute his achievements, and last week attended a mixer held by the http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=Charles+Houston+Bar+Association" rel="nofollow - Charles Houston Bar Association , an organization made up of African American lawyers, judges and law students from across Northern California.

"I met http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=bayarea%2Fjohnson&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=John+Burris" rel="nofollow - John Burris ," Ahmad said.

I've met him too. He's a nice guy and a wildly successful Oakland defense attorney.

I gotta say: No offense, John, but I remain more impressed with 'Tunde.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 12:58am
"By graduation day, June 11, he should have almost enough to pay for his first year of college."

OuchCry

Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 1:25am
Nice!

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 1:37am
Congratulations

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 6:42am
ClapClapThumbs Up

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: May 22 2014 at 3:17am
Originally posted by ThABxBoRoUgH ThABxBoRoUgH wrote:

I actually met him 2 weeks ago when he visited my university! Such a sweet kid. My friends and I totally creeped up on him (we're graduate students) and told him that we were proud of his achievements. He seemed really gracious.

I did ask if he was Nigerian and he said its a bit complicated. He is African American and I think his family maybe/thinks/knows that they are of Nigerian descent amongst other things. Nonetheless, he is bomb and I hope he chooses to come to my school Cool

'
Yeah, it seems like he is African AmericanWink Still a win for all of us. Clap

Print Page | Close Window