Print Page | Close Window

Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370121
Printed Date: Jul 18 2018 at 1:58pm

Topic: Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much?
Posted By: ThatGurlD
Subject: Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much?
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:24pm

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much For Some?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4Zh4AP9d_TA/U06L5dB6_jI/AAAAAAAAceg/RhRXkaPKs44/s1600/Natural+Hair+and+Advertising...Too+Much.png" rel="nofollow">Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much For Some?
http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http://www.seriouslynatural.org/2014/04/natural-hair-and-advertisingtoo-much.html&media=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4Zh4AP9d_TA/U06L5dB6_jI/AAAAAAAAceg/RhRXkaPKs44/s1600/Natural+Hair+and+Advertising...Too+Much.png&description=Natural%20Hair%20and%20Advertising...Too%20Much%20For%20Some?" rel="nofollow">Pin on Pinterest

"I am sick of seeing all those commercials with ethnic/nappy/natural hair!"

I'm not gonna lie and say I remember WHERE I actually read this comment, I must also admit I am paraphrasing because I was only skimming a mag and my mind was actually somewhere else.  Later that day, when I slowed down for a minute, I was really shocked and wished I would have paid more attention to the comment.

After I let the thought sit and fester I started asking myself why someone would be offended or angry by Black women with Natural hair being used in commercials.   

Could it be some relaxed women are feeling the media thinks all Black women are Natural?  

Could it be some Naturals feel these are merely marketing ploys to get Naturals to buy their products?  

Are these just some Black woman who find the 'ethnic' or Natural look embarrassing? 

Not a clue but I thought it would be interesting to give my take on them.  

When I really noticed Natural hair was being shown in commericals I was still relaxed.  I was shocked to see it but I found it cool, new and ground-breaking. It was right up there with Aunt Jemima getting a perm.  Hey, don't judge me but I was loving to see that woman without her head rag on that bottle any more.  

I also remember, after a while, that it was catching on and at first...AT FIRST... I felt it was a marketing ploy from the major corporations saying....'hey black folks, we see you and we want you to KNOW we see you.' I didn't care what their reasons were.  I was more happy with the fact we were out there and we weren't all wearing weaves down to our asses.  So maybe they were trying to hook us into buying their product but isn't that the whole purpose of commericals?? 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ChXbqxe6Cdc/U06IyepuUKI/AAAAAAAAceY/chZdhx-Vuvk/s1600/Dove.png" rel="nofollow">
http://www.dove.us/" rel="nofollow - http://www.dove.us/

If you are as old as me (or older) you remember when you didn't hardly see ANY black women in commericals at all!  I mean our dollars weren't considered and we were all but shut out in the media.  Now, if you watched Soul Train you did see commercials geared specifically to us.  We were dancing and smiling to the counter of McDonald's as well as us dancing and shaking our hair in the mirror for hair ads.....BLACK hair ads.  We were so damn proud of those ads weren't we?

Well, now we're out there selling everything from diapers to diamonds.  We've made it!  Now, can we stop critiquing what and why we are out there?  I'm personally very happy to see more Natural haired actors and actresses selling products and not just because I'm natural.  It's because we are a very diverse people and the media should be expressing that.  

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill or maybe you've seen or heard others saying the same thing.  I'd just love to know why the anger is there. I'd also love to know what you think of all the Naturals in commercials and if you had a DIFFERENT take on them before you were Natural.

Take care Naturals,
Sabrina  

Replies:
Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:24pm
what?

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

what?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:29pm
I found this question interesting.  I also remember when their were no black women in commercials.  When the Mowry twins were the only "representation of me" on television.  I can't say that I feel one way or the other about it.  I still mainly see LS women with 3c at the kinkiest hair.  Being DS and loc'd I can honestly say I've given up on any hope of my reflection looking back at me through any type of advertisement, music video, television show etc.  Seems we can only be raunchy stand up comics Wacko
That said, I get happy about whatever black women get.  I have noticed a large surge in the number of naturals in advertising and am curious to know what others think about it if you think anything at all.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:30pm
she wrote all that based on something she not sure but she may have kinda read some where once

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:32pm
Sounds like the blog post was created to stir up controversy and web hits. I am 40 yrs and grew up in the 70s & 80s in a time where black people were in every magazine in national advertisements with unrelaxed afros, braids, afro puffs and this blog post is bullshyt.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:36pm
From what I can remember, natural hair was basically all you saw on commercials and mainstream (not black) television unless it was a hair ad aimed specifically at black women. I did notice it back then but I can't say it peeved me or inspired me. That was pretty much the only place I saw natural hair. I told my hairdresser, "You ever notice all the women on tv and in commercials have afros or curly hair? (I probably didn't even refer to it as natural back then) and she said, "You know they don't want us lookin too much like them." And we laughed about it. I personally think white people just like that style of hair, no more, no less. I still think it's rare to see truly kinky hair even in a natural hair commercial. I was just remarking the other day it's not often you see hair like this in a commercial. 

I respect them for this shyt right here (notwithstanding the anti-shrinkage gimmick) and I bought the line to show it.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:36pm
I hope y'all not gon pretend some people really don't like looking at it...

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:39pm
i just don't understand it...

i was just looking at that dark and lovely add does it seem like 2 out of the 3 models are bi-racial? so the brownest one has like a twist out then ?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:40pm
I feel the same way about it as I do a bad weave.  A lot of the time if someone is wearing a weave, you know they are.  So why not wear a believable one?  That's how I feel about the natural advertisements.  Like the uncombed afro is the only natural hair style we can rock.  Yes, that's an option but I rarely see styled natural hair.  I don't get that part.  

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

Sounds like the blog post was created to stir up controversy and web hits. I am 40 yrs and grew up in the 70s & 80s in a time where black people were in every magazine in national advertisements with unrelaxed afros, braids, afro puffs and this blog post is bullshyt.

It's really interesting you should say this because I was at this mom and pop spot and this older woman was waiting on her food and she told me she liked my hair. I had it in a wash n go. This was a few months ago and my hair is kinky so it did not have the appearance of being long. But the lady told me that back in the day they thought they were doing it natural but they still would get their afros blown out or get a blow out kit and have it picked out and shaped or whatever the case may be, but you know how afros looked back then. But she said that what people are doing today is truly natural, meaning wearing every kink and coil exactly the way it falls, no shaping, no nothing. I thought it was interesting. There is definitely a difference to me in what natural hair was back then and what it is today. You'd never see a Jackson 5 afro walking down the street these days.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

It's really interesting you should say this because I was at this mom and pop spot and this older woman was waiting on her food and she told me she liked my hair. I had it in a wash n go. This was a few months ago and my hair is kinky so it did not have the appearance of being long. But the lady told me that back in the day they thought they were doing it natural but they still would get their afros blown out or get a blow out kit and have it picked out and shaped or whatever the case may be, but you know how afros looked back then. But she said that what people are doing today is truly natural, meaning wearing every kink and coil exactly the way it falls, no shaping, no nothing. I thought it was interesting. There is definitely a difference to me in what natural hair was back then and what it is today. You'd never see a Jackson 5 afro walking down the street these days.

i rarely if ever see women do this.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

I feel the same way about it as I do a bad weave.  A lot of the time if someone is wearing a weave, you know they are.  So why not wear a believable one?  That's how I feel about the natural advertisements.  Like the uncombed afro is the only natural hair style we can rock.  Yes, that's an option but I rarely see styled natural hair.  I don't get that part.  

Example of an uncombed afro?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:47pm
Yeah, my daddy had a big shaped fro and before I loc'd he was always like, "Why don't you ever comb your hair?"  Now he tells me, "You know what would look good on you?  A nice perm."  My parents are a little older though they were mid 20s during the civil rights movement and deep in it.  It's fun some of the things they say because I always thought of them as so pro black.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:51pm

The Dark and Lovely commercial was a perfect example.  

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:54pm

The Dark and Lovely commercial was a perfect example.  

LoL okay wow. I think her hair is beautiful.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i rarely if ever see women do this.

I don't mean walking out the house like you just woke up but I mean working with the curl pattern you have. I don't think adding gel, styling creme, etc, is doing any more than anyone else.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:58pm
Now I do think the first pic looks a dry, unkempt, blow fried, uneven, heat damaged mess...

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:00pm
I do too!  I just notice that's the way natural hair is represented a lot of the time.  I wish I could have worn my hair that way more but it was so much daggone work.  A carefree look that was anything but.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:43pm
+1 

I do think they may have helped ease people into embracing blackness.  

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:44pm

But she said that what people are doing today is truly natural, meaning wearing every kink and coil exactly the way it falls, no shaping, no nothing. I thought it was interesting. There is definitely a difference to me in what natural hair was back then and what it is today. You'd never see a Jackson 5 afro walking down the street these days.

What is interesting is that I disagree - I wear my hair in an old fashioned fro as well as a lot of other 4c women in the NJ/NY area and I think that my hair is the minority compared to what I see BHM/IG etc b/c the average woman has a twist out or has some type of gel concoction to stretch the curl and add definition and to make the nap into a wave/curl pattern.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

a lot of people wore afros back in the day simply because a lot of other people were doing it

so yes some of those same people will now say women kook better with straight hair

I tend to think being natural was just a fad for them

nothing too deep

Thank you. I agree 100%. I love unrelaxed hair and my hair has been unrelaxed longer than it was relaxed ( I am not from the 4 yr old with a relaxer generation lol), but I still love straightened hair just as much as I love hair in it's unrelaxed state.Im not a hair snobnor natural nazi so I understand when some people that wore glorious fros love straightened hair.

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:28pm

a lot of people wore afros back in the day simply because a lot of other people were doing it

so yes some of those same people will now say women kook better with straight hair

nothing too deep

Not a fad, they were rocking them before relaxers came out and after. If anything relaxers were a fad, they're slowly dying out. Before I even knew about this natural hair community on the internet, in middle school (06-08) most people I know let relaxers go and simply got their hair flat ironed. It was causing too much damage. And as the years go buy they continue to fade out. My first year of college somebody said "who still gets relaxers"? Nobody in the room said they did but they all had bone straight hair. People have been cutting out the extra step of relaxing & going to straight to straightening for years now. Not necessarily wearing their natural texture though. Nobody sees the point anymore really, you don't need to relax for straight hair

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:31pm
Yeah I think relaxers were all around a bad idea. 

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:32pm
Since I was a child 99% of the black women in commercials were rocking their natural texture, the only time you see black women on TV with straight hair are relaxer commercials or in black made entertainment. In commercials & white productions, black & mixed women were/are always natural, either wearing kinky or curly fros or in braids. Natural women have always been in the media

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:34pm
Journey you're sweet.  I'm going to ask my daughter what how she feels about the subject.  She is 15 and natural and seems to have none of the qualms I had with my nappy hair at her age.  I'm glad things are different now.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 8:52pm

Originally posted by Journey94 Journey94 wrote:

nothing too deep

Not a fad, they were rocking them before relaxers came out and after. If anything relaxers were a fad, they're slowly dying out. Before I even knew about this natural hair community on the internet, in middle school (06-08) most people I know let relaxers go and simply got their hair flat ironed. It was causing too much damage. And as the years go buy they continue to fade out. My first year of college somebody said "who still gets relaxers"? Nobody in the room said they did but they all had bone straight hair. People have been cutting out the extra step of relaxing & going to straight to straightening for years now. Not necessarily wearing their natural texture though. Nobody sees the point anymore really, you don't need to relax for straight hair

they used to get hard presses before relaxers to achieve a straight look (or rock silky straight wigs)

then afros became big and folks rocked them

sorry but there is too much self hatred that includes our hair texture for me to believe the majority rocking natural hair back in the day did so b/c they truly loved it....more like it was the thing to do

but hey I was born in the 1980s, my pov is skewed

and I know plenty of women that still relaxed and a good number that are natural

actually now you have the ladies that don't relax and just apply heat until all the curl pattern is beaten out of it

Or obsess over the 'perfect' loose wave/curl replicating twist out.

Posted By: Chantal34
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Journey94 Journey94 wrote:

nothing too deep

Not a fad, they were rocking them before relaxers came out and after. If anything relaxers were a fad, they're slowly dying out. Before I even knew about this natural hair community on the internet, in middle school (06-08) most people I know let relaxers go and simply got their hair flat ironed. It was causing too much damage. And as the years go buy they continue to fade out. My first year of college somebody said "who still gets relaxers"? Nobody in the room said they did but they all had bone straight hair. People have been cutting out the eGxtra step of relaxing & going to straight to straightening for years now. Not necessarily wearing their natural texture though. Nobody sees the point anymore really, you don't need to relax for straight hair

After watching Chris Rock's documentary " Good Hair" and seeing that soda can turn to mush in that acid I was done with relaxers. Hayell no....

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 9:21pm
Why'd Doc have to say 'curl pattern is beaten out of it' tho?LOL

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 10:10pm
Lol the brightside is that it's better for her hair than a perm.

I was secretly disappointed when I found out a friend of mine couldn't relate to my shrinkage. She'd beaten her curl pattern to waves that didn't shrink no 'mo. I'm still looking for a hair length twin in RL Doc. One day!LOL

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 10:27pm
If you're gonna press the hell out of your hair for a straight look, you might as well make the commitment to make sure to keep it that way cuz this is not a cute look...

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 11:21pm
If I ever heat train, no one will ever know I have a kinky hair on this scalp! If I can't be nappy flawless then I will be straight haired flawless!Cool

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:55am
Erm how is showing off someone who is wearing their natural hair to much? That's stupid.

i'm fed up of being asked by whites if my natural hair is a wig as they have a so called 'black friend who tells them black people hair don't grow so we all wear weaves'

I am glad there are natural hair ads as well as blacks on the tv in the first place, relaxed and natural I don't mind.....

The person who suggested natural hair ads are too much is a 'Hair Coon'

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 2:58am

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">If you're gonna press the hell out of your hair for a straight look, you might as well make the commitment to make sure to keep it that way cuz this is not a cute look...</span>

Nothing wrong with her natural hair...heat trained or not

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:00am
That damaged hair in the front ain't cute. 

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 3:01am

I am 58 and I agree.

What America has she been living in? I have been seeing our natural hair in advertizing since I was a kid .. maybe 10 if I can remember that far back.

This blog is crap.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 5:28am
I didn't read the whole thing but what I did get is that she feels like naturals did when it was nothing but permed/weaved/wigged black women on TV.  There was majority 4b/c natural hair on most black folks in 70's shows and commercials.  Then it went to mixed girls and exoticals...now it's time for 4b/c naturals and natural styles again. *shrugs*  The sh*t has come full circle. 

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 9:46am
Hair Coon and curl pattern beat the hell out Cry

I think the whole stretching, twist out obsession is interesting.  It's like being natural isn't good enough one has to be the 'perfect' natural.  I have 4b/c hair and adored my curl pattern but yes the questions were ridiculous.  "Did you get a hair cut?"  "Your hair is so COOL!"  and my favorites from a black friend, "Girl we have evolved," and "yeah, you dark skinned girls look good in dreads." 

Regardless of whether we wear our hair natural, relaxed, pressed, wigged or weaved there's this obsession about it.  I chalk it up to we're girls.  Other races of women obsess over their hair and other things.  

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 10:02am

nothing too deep

Its still a fad for many.....reminds me of the 90s when everyone was rocking Africa shaped everything....there are very few people that are genuine.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 10:47am
I remember that MizzS.  U had the leather Africa medallion, u had the snap back with The Africa on it with matching t-shirt worn with steel toe doc martins and cross colour shorts/pants and a bunch of leather bracelets...at least one had The Africa on it.LOL   

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:10am

I don't think adding gel, styling creme, etc, is doing any more than anyone else.

lol...anyone else like who? 

anyway, most of the natural products are marketed to define, stretch or whatever else to natural hair. ...f

imo and from what I have observed....there is still a definite trend to alter ones kinks/coils/curls in some way.  the new "natural" still requires work/manipulation....something....

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:15am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

I don't think adding gel, styling creme, etc, is doing any more than anyone else.

lol...anyone else like who? 

anyway, most of the natural products are marketed to define, stretch or whatever else to natural hair. ...f

imo and from what I have observed....there is still a definite trend to alter ones kinks/coils/curls in some way.  the new "natural" still requires work/manipulation....something....

Oh lawd not the new natural and the new black on one page LOL

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing your hair.  Applying gel for definition or whatever to me is the equivalent of doing your hair.  Combing can be considered manipulation to some.  

I used to joke with my husband when first started following natural hair bloggers and vloggers that they always had a flower in their hair or were using some unrefined butters of some kind for moisture.  It was like choosing to wear your hair in it's natural state meant you had to become some granola crunching vegan because otherwise you weren't a REAL natural.  

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:23am
lol i should have kept reading...i see others have already pointed that out.

anyway, I've always like BIG hair.  i was doing twist outs even when i had super long relaxed hair.  i rarely did bone straight looks.  was always doing some kind of roller set...or some form of a perm rod super curly roller set.  people used to always ask me if i had on a wig... and the funny thing is when i wanted a super straight look i would often wear a wig...lmaoooo.

i'm actually ok with my natural kinks as they dry simply after detangling and rinsing conditioner out.  my problem is shrinkage since i want my hair BIG.  when/if it grows enough (shyt i might need to reach azz length...Dead) i can totally see just REALLY washing and going... 

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:30am

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing your hair.  Applying gel for definition or whatever to me is the equivalent of doing your hair.  Combing can be considered manipulation to some.  

oh yes i totally agree.  i was just pointing out that there is really no "new" natural...as that old woman star was chatting with seemed to be suggesting...at least not imo anyway.

but it cannot be denied that most of the products and/or methods marketed to the natural community are geared toward stretching/relaxing/lengthening or defining or silkening or whatever to the kink/coil/curl.  i'm ok with that... LOL

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:33am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

oh yes i totally agree.  i was just pointing out that there is really no "new" natural...as that old woman star was chatting with seemed to be suggesting...at least not imo anyway.

but it cannot be denied that most of the products and/or methods marketed to the natural community are geared toward stretching/relaxing/lengthening or defining or silkening or whatever to the kink/coil/curl.  i'm ok with that... LOL

Nope, definitely can't deny that.  As far as old vs new natural, I'm only in my 30s so I don't know what they were doing before the 80s but I'll take a stretched fro over the Jeri Curl I and in second grade ANYDAY LOL

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 11:47am
girl that jerri curl shyt was a f*cking tragedy.  uggghhhhh.  i never hopped on that train.  365/24/7 round the clock juiciness....no thanks...lol

but i do remember my mom and her friends wearing afros. both ways...stretched and unstretched.  afro puffs.  corn rows ect ect ect...

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 12:13pm
I feel like beating the curl out of my hair this week by stretching it out.

I'm using 'beating the curl pattern out' whenever I stretch these naps out Samone.LOL

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 12:25pm

lol well that is what happens

and yes the obsession over the perfect curl is real

I have a friend that does not relax but gets her hair straightened regularly

she was like it never reverts anymore I guess its just heat trained

I don't say a word lol

she likes it so oh well

Ya I knew someone like that. She said relaxers are evil. She proudly states that she has never relaxed, but has been straightening her hair forever and has no curl pattern anymore. Her hair looks like it has given up on life, but she is still claiming #natural.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

. Her hair looks like it has given up on life, but she is still claiming #natural.

Dead

Print Page | Close Window