Print Page | Close Window

Woman Suing NJ for Rejecting Her License Plate

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370101
Printed Date: Sep 24 2017 at 8:35pm

Topic: Woman Suing NJ for Rejecting Her License Plate
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Woman Suing NJ for Rejecting Her License Plate
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 5:21pm

http://gawker.com/woman-suing-new-jersey-for-rejecting-her-atheist-licens-1564820456" rel="nofollow - Woman Suing New Jersey for Rejecting Her Atheist License Plate

http://gawker.com/woman-suing-new-jersey-for-rejecting-her-atheist-licens-1564820456?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow#" rel="nofollow - -

Jay Hathaway

Woman Suing New Jersey for Rejecting Her Atheist License Plate

A New Jersey woman says the state discriminated against her on the basis of her beliefs when it rejected her request for a license plate reading " http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.ssf/2014/04/new_jersey_woman_files_lawsuit_over_atheist_license_plate.html" rel="nofollow - 8THEIST " as "objectionable."

Nonbeliever Shannon Morgan, of Maurice Township, N.J., said that after her custom plate was rejected, she tested "BAPTIST," and the Motor Vehicle Commission's website accepted it.

Woman Suing New Jersey for Rejecting Her Atheist License Plate

Now she's filing a First Amendment suit against New Jersey, with representation from Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

A spokesperson for the MVC says the state doesn't discriminate against nonbelievers, citing a case where American Atheists president David Silverman's request for a http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/29/n-j-to-allow-athe1st-license-plate-after-worker-labeled-it-offensive/" rel="nofollow - plate reading ATHE1ST was allowed after a review.

Morgan's lawsuit says the fact that Silverman had to fight to get his plate approved establishes a pattern of rejecting atheist plates in the State, "thereby discriminating against atheist viewpoints and expressing a preference for theism over non-theism."

Her plate wasn't just inadvertently rejected by a computer algorithm, either. A spokesperson for the MVC http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.ssf/2014/04/new_jersey_woman_files_lawsuit_over_atheist_license_plate.html" rel="nofollow - told NJ.com , "We review every request personally ... and we review them for anything that's offensive of objectionable."

http://gawker.com/woman-suing-new-jersey-for-rejecting-her-atheist-licens-1564820456

Replies:
Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 5:38pm
License Plates are rejected for reasons they consider to be "inappropriate".   It's nothing personal lady. If she is an Athiest, why did she choose to get one that say Baptist?    Was that a test to see if they are infringing on her religious, or non-religious belief/rights??
The state of NJ may have saved her a lot heartache. Sporting plates like that may have cause her more trouble than it's worth.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Benni Benni wrote:

License Plates are rejected for reasons they consider to be "inappropriate".   It's nothing personal lady. If she is an Athiest, why did she choose to get one that say Baptist?    Was that a test to see if they are infringing on her religious, or non-religious belief/rights??
The state of NJ may have saved her a lot heartache. Sporting plates like that may have cause her more trouble than it's worth.

yes, that's what the article says 

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:20pm
Why would you even want to mark your car like that? I mean it's her right but sheesh.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:21pm
Lies, the same reason that I saw a car plate that read "bossch1ck" or "stunna" I don't know lol. I'm not paying extra for a plate.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:22pm
LOL

She must be bored as hell do sue nj for some dumb sh*t like this

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:23pm

smh this is stupid

people will find any petty reason to sue...let me guess for a million dollars right?
lol.

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:26pm
It's pretty lame that you can do one thing, but not the other.  Living in NoVA has made me realize people will put as much of their life story in their license plates that'll fit on there. LOL  If this lady wants to be able to do this, then she should.  *shrugs*  The state did this to themselves. 

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Why would you even want to mark your car like that? I mean it's her right but sheesh.
Guuurl! You live in the deep souf. You have seen cars with bible verses listed on the plate, 'saved', blssed, favored, etc. This woman wants the same rights as they do and now she is about to get paid as well.LOL

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:30pm
Lol, she's not suing for money.  Just the ability to be able to do it or to have a legitimate explanation why she can't. 

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:31pm
That's a dumb thing to reject.

I've seen far worse.

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:31pm

I would feel the same way if the tables were turned and this was a baptist trying to sue because they couldn't get a baptist license plate...

stupid
its a license plate, not a billboard

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:34pm
It would be a totally different issue if they were suing to be able to announce the religion in general.  I don't care about the license plate itself.  She should have the right to advertise to all the world in the same capacity as anyone else.  If "atheist" is objectionable and baptist isn't...that's problem that's much deeper than it being stupid.  

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:38pm
I'm suprised baptist was available

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:39pm
I am too. LOL

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Guuurl! You live in the deep souf. You have seen cars with bible verses listed on the plate, 'saved', blssed, favored, etc. This woman wants the same rights as they do and now she is about to get paid as well.LOL

Yeah I know but putting those things on your car is not a risk. If she puts that on her car it may make her a target. Once again it is her right but I would be scared to leave my car in the parking lot if it said that.

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:42pm
I just don't need anyone knowing my business like that. Dead  If you want to know about me, we need to have a conversation first.  

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by JasmineE02 JasmineE02 wrote:

Lol, she's not suing for money.  Just the ability to be able to do it or to have a legitimate explanation why she can't. 
That's me talking because I'd want to get paid. Emotional distress & the like.Evil Smile

Posted By: MissinCali
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 12:10am
Ahhh!! Get a bumper sticker..

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 12:38am
So they review the plates personally?
Yep that's an issue.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 2:04am
Originally posted by MissinCali MissinCali wrote:

Ahhh!! Get a bumper sticker..

this.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:09am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

LOL

She must be bored as hell do sue nj for some dumb sh*t like this

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

So they review the plates personally?
Yep that's an issue.

mayve been the only one to see the real problem here.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:56am
ive got one for her

0BN0X1U5 C11NT

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 9:55am
Maybe people don't realize that you have to sue to compel the government to change its policy.  She didn't just right out sue them either.  She tried to contact them first assuming it was a mistake.  They repeatedly brushed her off.  The state can't give preferential treatment to any particular religion (or lack thereof even).  If they made it to where no one was allowed to do it, this would even be an issue.  For the people complaining that she's doing too much...they went out of their way to ban the word knowing it's unconstitutional.  Things don't get changed...even the small, seemingly irrelevant stuff..without making a fuss.  It's the principle of the matter and the message it sends.  

By the nature of our very existence, we're not "objectionable"...I'm objectionable for a whole host of other reasons, thank you very much.  Evil Smile

Posted By: rohan
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 10:18am

Maybe people don't realize that you have to sue to compel the government to change its policy.  She didn't just right out sue them either.  She tried to contact them first assuming it was a mistake.  They repeatedly brushed her off.  The state can't give preferential treatment to any particular religion (or lack thereof even).  If they made it to where no one was allowed to do it, this would even be an issue.  For the people complaining that she's doing too much...they went out of their way to ban the word knowing it's unconstitutional.  Things don't get changed...even the small, seemingly irrelevant stuff..without making a fuss.  It's the principle of the matter and the message it sends.  

By the nature of our very existence, we're not "objectionable"...I'm objectionable for a whole host of other reasons, thank you very much.  Evil Smile

I think what's interesting here is that some of the responses in this thread reflect the majority mindset where unequal treatment for a minority class is usually met with "I don't see what the big deal is". I mean these are black folks that understand the problem of unequal treatment for minorities, no matter how minor, and the effects of having that treatment institutionalized by the government in any way.  They get it.  But when given a chance to be in a majority position over another minority group, in this case, atheists, suddenly none of it makes sense all over again.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 10:22am
I think it's because we're grumpy goats. Cry

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 10:25am

I think it's because we're grumpy goats. Cry

Hilarious, and that's exactly how I like my coffee.  No kidding! LOL

Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 12:45pm
I wonder if "ATHIEST" was also banned? or taken??

eta: as much as I disagree with atheism, the state of NJ set themselves up for this one. But I also wonder, how far can freedom of speech go? Can people use hateful/racist language on their plates?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 12:50pm
http://happyplace.someecards.com/11579/the-most-shamelessly-offensive-license-plates-ever-seen" rel="nofollow - http://happyplace.someecards.com/11579/the-most-shamelessly-offensive-license-plates-ever-seen

ETA:  More! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/19/the-most-inappropriate-va_n_505569.html#s74471&title=Rub_One_Out" rel="nofollow - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/19/the-most-inappropriate-va_n_505569.html#s74471&title=Rub_One_Out

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by leftywefty leftywefty wrote:

eta: as much as I disagree with atheism, the state of NJ set themselves up for this one. But I also wonder, how far can freedom of speech go? Can people use hateful/racist language on their plates?

Why would a discussion on such a benign word make you wonder about hateful/racist speech?  It would be like a discussion on hatred/racist language prompted by a license plate that says "Democrat".  Seems strange to me.

Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by rohan rohan wrote:

Why would a discussion on such a benign word make you wonder about hateful/racist speech?  It would be like a discussion on hatred/racist language prompted by a license plate that says "Democrat".  Seems strange to me.

You can't honestly be that dense…
NJ banned "8thiest" because they found it to be offensive or inflammatory. I simply wonder what other terms have made the banned list.
This isn't about atheism. This is about freedom of religion and freedom of speech in our country. 

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 4:25pm

NJ banned "8thiest" because they found it to be offensive or inflammatory. I simply wonder what other terms have made the banned list.
This isn't about atheism. This is about freedom of religion and freedom of speech in our country. 

huh??

this is an own goal luv!

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 4:46pm
I say it's not a big deal cuz it's just a license plate. Make a new one and move the f*ck on lol

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:05pm

Hey, I agree with you totally.  But before asking the question, I had no idea what angle you were taking with your question i.e if you were conflating the term "atheist" with "hateful/racist" language, or if it was more of an academic question like you explained above.  And the only way to find that out was to ask.   Or we could go with dense.  That works too.

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:07pm
dense?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:13pm

Hola Nita, hope you're well! : -)  You too Afro!!!

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:16pm
im good bro!!

life is good!

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:18pm
Hey Rohan :)

All is well here. Wishing you the same.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

im good bro!!

life is good!

Good to hear man, good to hear!

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:27pm
*waves to Rohan*

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

*waves to Rohan*

Purpleeee! Heart Hola, how you been? What made you change your name?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:40pm
too many PMs about the other one. lol
it took a year or 2 to get it changed, but one day out of the blue it came thru.

Good to see you again.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:42pm
So are we saying that plate is inflammatory and we wouldn't want it because it might make good Christians go into a blind violent rage?  I mean I totally agree but I didn't expect a majority to acknowledge that the immediate response from Christians to the mere existence of atheists is to become violent and start stoning and burning niccahs.  I thought the general consensus was that only Muslims were like thatStern Smile

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

So are we saying that plate is inflammatory and we wouldn't want it because it might make good Christians go into a blind violent rage?  I mean I totally agree but I didn't expect a majority to acknowledge that the immediate response from Christians to the mere existence of atheists is to become violent and start stoning and burning niccahs.  I thought the general consensus was that only Muslims were like thatStern Smile
now you know!!

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:49pm

too many PMs about the other one. lol
it took a year or 2 to get it changed, but one day out of the blue it came thru.

Good to see you again.

Ha, you were too popular on here, makes sense! : -)  And really awesome to see you as well!

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:50pm

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

im good bro!!

life is good!

Good to hear man, good to hear!
hope you and the family been keeping well.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:50pm

I think what's interesting here is that some of the responses in this thread reflect the majority mindset where unequal treatment for a minority class is usually met with "I don't see what the big deal is". I mean these are black folks that understand the problem of unequal treatment for minorities, no matter how minor, and the effects of having that treatment institutionalized by the government in any way.  They get it.  But when given a chance to be in a majority position over another minority group, in this case, atheists, suddenly none of it makes sense all over again.

Basically.

The responses would be different if the state rejected "blackpwr" but accepted "whitepwr".  We might then see what the big deal is. 

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:51pm
Don't know about y'all but I'm about to try this in NC except I need to sue for discrimination. I need some emotional distress payments to cover school costs...oh and protect freedom of speech and all that jazz.Stern SmileLOL

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:06pm
 LOL  I'm still surprised with the horrible stuff people can put on the license plates and no one cares. Dead  OldPedo.  Wtf.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:08pm

ROHAN'S BACK!!!!!

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:11pm
Interesting how some feel she is being obnoxious because she wants an ATHEIST license plate...yet no one complains about how vanity plates can be obnoxious in general.  If that's what she wants to put on her license plate, and it's not a vulgar term, let her.  The people who were being obnoxious were those at the DMV who wouldn't let her have it.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

ROHAN'S BACK!!!!!

Ahhh Tokyo!!! Feels like the old crew is here :-)  How you been girl, hope you're well.  Still in Japan?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:17pm

ROHAN'S BACK!!!!!

Ahhh Tokyo!!! Feels like the old crew is here :-)  How you been girl, hope you're well.  Still in Japan?

Yep, I'm still here and doing well!  I have since gotten another job that I am loving the last time we talked.  How are you?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:19pm
Family reunion!  I know there are people weeping right now.  I'm sorry BHM.  I promise to behave myself...mostly.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:26pm

Family reunion!  I know there are people weeping right now.  I'm sorry BHM.  I promise to behave myself...mostly.

JasmineE02!  Welcome back!!!

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:29pm

Ha, you were too popular on here, makes sense! : -)  And really awesome to see you as well!

]
nah, they just thought I had the hook up LOL

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:33pm
Yay to that last part, Rohan.

eta: @ post below
R, you see we still have issues here on bhm LOL

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:34pm

ROHAN'S BACK!!!!!

Yep, I'm still here and doing well!  I have since gotten another job that I am loving the last time we talked.  How are you?

Oh awesome, so glad to hear that. I know the last time we spoke you were going through it! Really happy to hear things worked out.  Clap

I'm good, no complaints at all.  Quit my job since we spoke last and now work for myself.  Pretty happy.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:35pm

Don't know about y'all but I'm about to try this in NC except I need to sue for discrimination. I need some emotional distress payments to cover school costs...oh and protect freedom of speech and all that jazz.Stern SmileLOL

better hurry, My GF in NC may beat you to it. I sent  her this article last night and she said same thing.

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:35pm

Yayyyy! StarClap

I'm overdoing the emoticons yes, but dammit it's been a while! lol

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:46pm
I've missed you guys. Hug  Tokyo! Heart  I'll actually eventually be moving to Tokyo in a year or two.  We'll be in Australia for a bit first.  You have to tell me all of the cool stuff I should do in Japan. Big smile

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:47pm

I've missed you guys. Hug  Tokyo! Heart  I'll actually eventually be moving to Tokyo in a year or two.  We'll be in Australia for a bit first.  You have to tell me all of the cool stuff I should do in Japan. Big smile

Definitely!  I will most likely still be here.  I have an awesome job I don't plan on leaving any time soon!

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:49pm
Nice!  I'm terrified.  LOL

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:00pm

better hurry, My GF in NC may beat you to it. I sent  her this article last night and she said same thing.
We're about to make some cash Purp.LOL

So this is an alt religion section reunion?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:23pm

So this is an alt religion section reunion?

Yes mam, it's official! : -)

Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 9:52pm

Yay to that last part, Rohan.

eta: @ post below
R, you see we still have issues here on bhm LOL

Oh, just seeing this.  Too hilarious! Good ole BHM LOL

Print Page | Close Window