Print Page | Close Window

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Dropping Racial Gems

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370082
Printed Date: Nov 22 2017 at 7:21am

Topic: Neil DeGrasse Tyson Dropping Racial Gems
Posted By: Midna
Subject: Neil DeGrasse Tyson Dropping Racial Gems
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:26pm
That man is my freaking hero. ClapClapClapClapClapClap

Start at 1:01:25 where the male asks why there aren't more women in science.
Neil goes IN ClapClapClapClapClapClap

Replies:
Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:57pm
Too late Midna. BHM put him on the coon list last week.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

You beat me to it lol

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 11:04pm

WHAAAAAT?

WHAT DID MY BABY NEIL DO???

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by HunnyB HunnyB wrote:

"Go shopping with me. HAHAHA" ..shut up Bi*chSleepy

Adds this to the list of reasons why I can't..

Ah.. Ouch

I didn't even catch that.

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 11:05pm
"Go shopping with me. HAHAHA" ..shut up Bi*chSleepy

Adds this to the list of reasons why I can't..

And why is he so jovial with them..The subtle mockery

Posted By: Cocoa
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 12:38am

"...clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth..."

eta: i dont think he's a coon tho

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 12:51am
Thank you so much for posting this video.  Neil is really one of my favorite people. Heart  I've been following his work for ever. LOL

Embarrassed This is my facebook profile pic: 

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Cocoa Cocoa wrote:

"...clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth..."

eta: i dont think he's a coon tho

Literally lol'd

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:38am
I bumped the other thread because I meant to read it but I never did...why is he a coon though?

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:57am
Neil's interview with Nichelle Nichols Heart  This interview makes me misty. 

http://www.startalkradio.net/show/a-conversation-with-nichelle-nichols/" rel="nofollow - http://www.startalkradio.net/show/a-conversation-with-nichelle-nichols/

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 5:42am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

not sure if he made the coon list

everyone wasn't happy with the info in cosmos

can we not be 100% happy with the program and not think he is a coon

I rhink calling him a coon is reaching

His wife is to the left of him.

By BHM's standards being in an IR marriage equates being a coon. I think that is over-simplistic and asinine. 

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:23am
Got into a fight with my brother about not being impressed by this video clip.

I expected something new and insightful and got "women are discouraged from entering the sciences". That's the same thing women scientist have been saying forever.

Just rubs me the wrong way that this video clip is all over my social media but he isn't actually saying anything new.

I liken it to when a white person says something seemingly insightful about race and everyone goes crazy for them. But black folks been saying that same exact thing since the beginning of time and no one was tryna hear it.

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 8:12am
You kidding?

They STILL don't hear him. The audience was clapping at his words after listening.. but did they HEAR him? I don't think so, honestly.

This clip wasn't even big and popular and was obscure for awhile. We praise Neil for his knowledge but for sure, his quotes on race are highly ignored because that's the general reaction to societal inequalities based on involuntary attributes for the sake of maintaining comfort.

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 8:18am
Does he have other quotes about inequalities that aren't so cliche?

I don't follow him, so I honestly don't know. I was just commenting on the clip in the OP that is literally everywhere now and receiving all the praise. Which is weird to me considering how basic it is.

ETA:

Although, I do understand people being excited about finding out that he actually has made statements about race/gender and isn't some watered down "I don't go there" black celebrity. 

I keep getting this "don't ever question him" vibe from his black fans. Like because he is a *black* astrophysicist that excuses him from any thing that might even resemble criticism.

(Not that I am criticizing him for anything really. Just disappoint by this clip)

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 9:38am

black man+ non black woman= coon, tbh...

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 9:57am

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

black man+ non black woman= coon, tbh...

Yep and contradicts anything you say that's positive about the black community.

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 10:14am
He's never hidden the fact that he's had various struggles as a black man in a field where there are VERY few minorities of any sort.  That's really not his overall focus though.  He wants to inspire kids to get into the sciences.  He really tries to follow Carl Sagan's footsteps by being approachable to anyone and everyone so that the message doesn't get lost in politics.  I think it's legitimate to be frustrated that he doesn't say much about race, but calling him a coon is just stupid.  He's not by any stretch.  I think because he doesn't talk about race as much as science, people were excited by the video. LOL

I posted his interview with Nichelle because to me they're similar.  Just being black and in a role that is unexpected to...others is still huge.  Now there are lots of little brown children who see a very inspiring man who looks like them saying that they can be anything. Heart  Hush!  I stan for Neil.  I can't help it.  My bias is obvious though.  Cosmos also makes me tingly. LOL

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 10:49am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

not sure if he made the coon list

everyone wasn't happy with the info in cosmos

can we not be 100% happy with the program and not think he is a coon

I rhink calling him a coon is reaching

His wife is to the left of him.

welp!

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 12:07pm
i heard violins and saw angels and struck a jaheim pose reading that ^^

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 12:14pm

I don't care for white people very much

but I call a coon a coon based on more things than who they marry

I get how much that eats at the soul of some and I even get why it does, but if their works do help the community it's kind of stupid to let who they marry be the main reason why you think they are a coon

and before you talk about black love and making more black babies, many black families and black people don't even like being black

so miss me with the two black parents = black unity and pride.....I don't really see that as the norm

What you're saying is true.  But will we ever get any closer to black pride and unity and loving each other if we keep looking to them for approval or love or support?  Isn't a better first step for us to work on us TOGETHER without them?

Ionno.  I wish there was an easy answer.Cry

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:30pm
Happy I listened before I commented, because I was in my feelings for a sec that he hijacked a very legitimate question about women in science, but after listening, it was a good comparison.

I wish men like him and henry loius gates were married to black women but I detect no self hatred from them whatsoever so they don't really make me think coon at all.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 2:00pm
what do their wives do?

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 2:07pm
If being married to a non black woman is cooning then I rather be bo jangles and tap dance to out this universe.

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 2:19pm

I agree we need to come together but it is possible for someone to be with someone that is not black and still care for the black community

I know if sounds crazy and maybe only a select few can do this, but it happens

are there no exceptions?

This world always has exceptions, and nothing is strictly black and white (pun?).  And anyone doing good for what they believe in is a good thing.  But I also think it sends a crazy mixed message though, to have a large part of the black elite and literati not married to black people, but speaking on how black people are not treated equally.  It's weird and I think in a lot of ways counterproductive to a message of unity.

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 4:46pm
I'm not dismissing any work that a person does for the black community but it's not stupid that I think ones a coon for marrying non black. The way I feel about yt people, it's just hard for me to wrap my mind around how a relationship could work, hell I don't even want to see them let alone sleep beside them. I just...can't.

Oh and for me there are no exceptions but coons do good things for black people everyday. I'll take the good but you still a coon in my eyes.

Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 5:35pm
I think it's ridiculous to measure the entirety of a person by who they love. There was a time when black love, be it between a man and woman or mother and child, was thought to be meaningless because we weren't thought of as whole persons. LGBTs are taxed to death because some people think they have the right to decide who has the right to marry/love whom. When you reduce the measure of a human being down to one thing (like who they love), imo, that says a isht ton more about you than it does about them. 

Growing up in KY, I have many white friends and there are plenty of good, decent white folk out there as there are black folk who are the same. There's also a whole ton of monsters on both sides of the equation. When I think back to the figurative knives I've pulled out of my back, more times than not it was a black hand that put them there. I'm not on this New Black BS that ignores white privilege and enslavement that only really began to end in 1964, but I'm also not on the wholesale demonization of white folks either. Not at all. Judging entire races of people is wrong no matter who does it, although, we certainly have millions of reasons to do so. 

But Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a godsend. He's of the top echelon of a field in which there are so few blacks and he has made it part of his mission to change that. He's not some Clarence Thomas who pretends he got where he is because he's just so much better than the "shiftless, lazy, negroes" before him. Nah, he doesn't hide from his blackness, he doesn't pretend to be anything but who he is. If that makes him a coon then I'm a coon, and proudly mfing so. 

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:10pm
He ain't Ben Carson cooning so it's all good or no?LOL

Posted By: rohan
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Ben Carson.  My gosh, he elevates cooning to an artform, haha!

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:49pm
I mean...however you want to feel. To ME a coon is a coon is a coon.

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:50pm
I'll just be a coon then.  I've been considered worse. 

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by JasmineE02 JasmineE02 wrote:

I see BHM is still as healthy a place as it has always been! LOL

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by herwoman herwoman wrote:

I'm not dismissing any work that a person does for the black community but it's not stupid that I think ones a coon for marrying non black. The way I feel about yt people, it's just hard for me to wrap my mind around how a relationship could work, hell I don't even want to see them let alone sleep beside them. I just...can't.

Oh and for me there are no exceptions but coons do good things for black people everyday. I'll take the good but you still a coon in my eyes.

LOLagreed

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by rohan rohan wrote:

my mom read his book to us when I was really young.. I was when I found how coony he is

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:54pm
do yall be saying coon outside of bhm? Cuz I slipped up and used coon a couple times and people were looking at like huh? lol

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:54pm

I still can't believe him!CryLOL

Jas, join the BHM coon couch. We got snacks and thangs lol

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:58pm

I still can't believe him!CryLOL

Jas, join the BHM coon couch. We got snacks and thangs lol

Needs to find me a white woman so I can join y'all on the coon couch.  Seems like some really cool people on there already!

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:58pm

I see BHM is still as healthy a place as it has always been! LOL

Of course Big smile  I'm still going to be proud of my people and do what I can for the community.  If I can't escape the coon box, I'll still be doing okay in my own coon-y opinion. 

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:59pm
yeah BB lol.. with 2 people. One a semi natural Nazi, I forget who I called a coon

the other was my guy friend... he agreed

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 6:59pm
I do like snacks....will I learn who Ben Carson is on the couch or do I need to go to google? LOL

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

do yall be saying coon outside of bhm? Cuz I slipped up and used coon a couple times and people were looking at like huh? lol

lmao i almost have a couple of times but i caught myself...

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:02pm
I would google Ben Carson Jas. Trust me. You will find some of his 'interesting' soundbites. He could be Justice Thomas' brother.Disapprove

Rohan, Gkisses is on the coon couch. She can cook like nobody's business so you won't go hungry lol

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:03pm
I went to google. Ben Carson and I would not be friends. Dead  

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:05pm

I would google Ben Carson Jas. Trust me. You will find some of his 'interesting' soundbites. He could be Justice Thomas' brother.Disapprove

Rohan, Gkisses is on the coon couch. She can cook like nobody's business so you won't go hungry lol

Yup, she's cool peeps too.  So Gkisses, Carolina, Jasmine. Well dang, I'm sold!  I just need to figure out where the white girls at!

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:07pm

I went to google. Ben Carson and I would not be friends. Dead  

I promise you, whatever you found in such a short period of time, does not do this man justice.  *shudders

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:10pm
See, I know all about Allen West and Herman Cain.  I missed this guy somehow.  

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:11pm
LOLDead

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:13pm
All the white women I know are lesbians. Sorry Rohan. Disapprove

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:16pm

All the white women I know are lesbians. Sorry Rohan. Disapprove

Well dang! LOL

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:17pm
I do have an adorable black coworker, but she won't help you get on the couch. 

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:19pm

I do have an adorable black coworker, but she won't help you get on the couch. 

Well, sounds like she's no use to the kid!  LOL

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:20pm
LOL

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I SHOLE DO.

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:37pm
You think we might find some common ground?  Maybe we can just talk about his medical achievements.  I don't have to agree with someone on even most things. He's fervently against some of my most passionate interests though.  We'd probably exchange angry words at some point.  He'd leave passive aggressive messages about me on facebook.  I'd talk about him behind his back on twitter.  I think it's for the best. LOL 

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:47pm
He seems like a wonderfully progressive and thoughtful man: ""Marriage is between a man and a woman. No group, be they gays, be they Nambla, be they people who believe in bestiality, it doesn't matter what they are. They don't get to change the definition."

Who possesses an incredibly astute scientific worldview: "By believing we are the product of random acts (evolution), we eliminate morality and the basis of ethical behavior."

LOL, I don't see what the problem would be Jasmine!  LOL

Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:47pm
I discovered that he's been annoying me for quite a while.  I've heard the quotes before, but had no idea they were all coming from him. LOL  He makes huffpo sad.

Print Page | Close Window