Print Page | Close Window

Any Hula Hoopers? (Hooping Mom on Latifah)

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370076
Printed Date: Oct 22 2018 at 10:17am

Topic: Any Hula Hoopers? (Hooping Mom on Latifah)
Posted By: PurplePhase
Subject: Any Hula Hoopers? (Hooping Mom on Latifah)
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:04pm
I taught myself a few years ago. This mom just started 3 years ago too; so maybe I can learn to do this  LOL

Replies:
Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:40pm
I've tried it. It's good core exercise.

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:42pm
Well damn mama I can barely hoop. This past weekend at an event, other moms and I were in a hopping contest. My hop flopped to the ground after they shouted start! Her thin self is twirling and dancing LOLCry

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:09pm
Y, yeah see that happened to me when I saw Michelle Obama hooping. My conceited self said "if she can do it I know I can." my hoop fell quite a few times before I was able to keep it up. Then I learned how to make it go back up to keep it from falling, Then I got the hang of turning around while hooping--called hub in the room for that event! lol. Couldn't tell me nothing then .. Til I saw this lady of course.  Now I'm back in practice mode.

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:19pm
Hooping is so fun. Though I can never get that joke of Sommore's from the queens of comedy out of my head when I do it.

I kind of really want a weighted hoop.

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:28pm
maysay, I made some weighted ones. some I put sand in, some water. There's YT videos. I prettied them up too. Purple of course.

I made my bestie one too in her sorority colors. She loves it.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:31pm
I want to learn! I've also been looking into buying an LED hoop.

The programmable ones are so sexy, omg

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:36pm
anyone who is trying to learn, get a large hula hoop. The bigger the hoop, the easier it is to keep it up. Also the more weight it has makes it easier to keep up and keep it hooping.

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:39pm
Purp what do you make yours out of? I remember reading about people using stuff from the home improvement stores, but can't remember what lol.

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:44pm
It's called irrigation tubing. I got a big ole roll of it to make  a bunch of hoops in different sizes (quick). I got soccer tape and colored tapes to pretty them up . also the soccer cloth tape helps to soften up the tubing stuff . You don't need it tho.

My first one was a huge one that I just cut and taped together (duck/t tape). I learned on that big one. Then I worked my way down to the smaller ones.

As bad as I was when I started , I really didn't think I was going to get hang of it, but I wouldn't give up LOL

eta: I made at least 7 hoops and still have a lot of that tubing so it goes far and doesn't cost that much. Maybe hub will need some one day for actual irrigation lol.

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:46pm

= http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html#collap" rel="nofollow -

http://hooping.tribe.net/" rel="nofollow -

The poly tubing usually used for irrigation is ideal for making hula hoops. Most hoopers use either 160 psi 3/4" diameter pipe (my favorite) or 100 psi 1" diameter. If you want a lighter hoop, or are making them for kids, use 100 psi 3/4" tubing. (Note: 160 psi 1" will make a very heavy hoop.) Tubing usually comes in 100 foot coils, and can be found at irrigation supply stores, and at some Home Depot and Lowe's-type retailers. (Prices range from $15-25 per 100' -- enough for 8 hoops)

[Having trouble finding tubing? Hooping.org has http://www.hooping.org/archives/000272.html" rel="nofollow - suggestions .]

Other supplies:

• Ratcheting PVC cutter (the best way to cut tubing - see below)
  • Insert-connectors (1" connectors for 1" tubing ; 3/4" for 3/4" tubing)
  • Colorful tape (electrical tape works well)
  • hairdryer (to soften the tube ends - soaking in hot water also works)

Choose your hoop size - and cut. (My hoops are usually between 11'6" and 13' in circumference, but instead of measuring you could just make a loop that stands somewhere between navel and shoulder height.) You could use a hacksaw or a sturdy blade, but to make a safe, clean & easy cut, I've invested in a $12 ratcheting PVC cutter. It works beautifully.

The two ends will be connected with an inserted connector. These should be available wherever you buy the tubing. Make sure you get 1" connectors if your tube is 1" in diameter (and 3/4" connectors only if you have 3/4" tube).

At this point, you can add weight or noisemakers into the hoop. For extra weight (a better workout - and perhaps a bruised waist), pour in a cup of water or sand. For noise, pour in 20-30 small beans or corn kernels. (Note that you can't easily get these things out once the hoop is made, and that you might not always want to have a noisy hoop....)

The tubing ends must be heated to make them pliable enough to accept the connector. A few minutes of focused hairdryer heat will do the trick, as will soaking the ends in hot water. (You can also carefully hold them over a stovetop gas flame, but you really don't want to start melting the stuff.)

Quickly grab a connector, and push the two tube ends together over the connector. If it doesn't go in, you need to heat it up more. The connector should disappear entirely within the tubing. As the tubing cools, it will contract around the connector for a strong seal.

I don't think it's needed, but I usually duct tape the seal.

At this point you could also apply some padding. Matt recommends wrapping copper pipe insulation; I like Rubatex pipe insulation that fits over the hoop..

Now comes the fun part: Decorating!

I tend to make colorful candycane stripes of electrical tape. You could also duct tape the whole thing, or leave it black. A huge selection of tape, from the mundane to the fantastic, can be found at http://www.identi-tape.com/" rel="nofollow - identi-tape.com

Three finished hoops, ready for action. For a quick hooping demonstration, http://www.jasonunbound.com/hooping.html" rel="nofollow - look here . [269K]

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:52pm
Ok purp now you have me thinking I can actually make a hula hoop...crimson and cream mmmhmmm.

I bet using the weighted ones on my arms would be great too. Low impact exercise that's right up my alley (especially since I can't seem to find a heated pool).

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:55pm
Do they have clear versions cus uh.. I wanna make it glow. Cool

I've been learning how to program LEDs!

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:22pm
what you gon' be doing with that hoop Midna? lol

I don't know about clear irrigation tubing.. it's probably out there though.

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:26pm
if you make one, a tip to make the tubing easier to cut is to heat it with the hair dryer before cutting. I just  use a box cutter to cut my tubing, and after heating tube w/ BD, it cuts like butter .

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:31pm

I have a weighted hula hoop..
It tightens your core/ab muscles, you can feel them tighten while you are hooping...

I think the longest i have done was 15 mins straight. Whew.
I kept looking at the clock every second.

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:34pm
I hoop to songs that way I can go longer w/out realizing it. In my head I'm on stage lol.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:34pm
i bought a weighted hood forever ago cus i read about it sculpting your stomach.. 

i barely used it. 
i still have it.. 

anywho latifah looks good.. i havent seen her in years. 
and i thought i was a great hula hooper but yea.. shes great. 

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I hoop to songs that way I can go longer w/out realizing it. In my head I'm on stage lol.

lol i stand in front of the TVLOL

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:52pm
Purp, you need to get back into hooping because there is magic to be spun!!

Print Page | Close Window