Print Page | Close Window

Dreamworks Animation starring Blk girl protagonist

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
Printed Date: Mar 17 2018 at 2:25pm

Topic: Dreamworks Animation starring Blk girl protagonist
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Subject: Dreamworks Animation starring Blk girl protagonist
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:59am

DreamWorks' Latest Movie Will Have Something No Pixar Film Has Ever Tried" rel="nofollow">Zak Cheney-Rices avatar image By" rel="nofollow - Zak Cheney-Rice  

Brace yourself, America.

DreamWorks Animation Studios has announced the addition of a black female heroine (gasp!) to its repertoire of white dogs, green ogres, snails, Neanderthals, pandas, white people and Antz. In doing so, it joins an elite club consisting of ... well, nobody.

Not one major Hollywood studio has released a 3D animated feature starring a black character." rel="nofollow -

Image Credit:" rel="nofollow - Shadow and Act

The closest has been Disney, which released the 2D fantasy The Princess and the Frog in 2009. On the other hand, Pixar — now fully integrated into Disney's intergalactic empire — has yet to make a non-white character or voice talent the center of a movie. At least DreamWorks had Chris Rock play a zebra.

But moving on. The new film, titled Home, follows "an enterprising girl named Tip" who befriends Oh, a fugitive alien whose people have taken over Earth and relocated all the humans. In classic Defiant Ones-fashion, the pair must overcome their differences to save themselves and reconcile their people. Also, they have a flying car." rel="nofollow - Shadow and Act" rel="nofollow - reports that Tip will be voiced by — wait for it — Rihanna, with Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons playing Oh. Steve Martin will voice Captain Smek, the egotistical leader of a diminutive but over-confident alien race called the Boov, and the story is based on Adam Rex's children's book" rel="nofollow - The True Meaning of Smekday .

A taste: Anyone who saw Mr. Peabody and Sherman or Rio 2 in theaters has a feel for the film already. A 4-minute short called Almost Home precedes both and stars some of the Home characters:

The short illustrates the perpetual struggle of the Boov, who were forced from their native planet and now are constantly searching for a place to live. Too bad everywhere they land is either populated by vicious predators, plagued by horrible weather or utterly devoid of light. So sad.

But the bigger story is the significance of having a young black girl anchor a major Hollywood feature. Needless to say, it's a rare occurrence. Quvenzhane Wallis is making waves in the live action realm with starring turns in Beasts of the Southern Wild and the upcoming Annie adaptation, but otherwise, the landscape is sparse. After decades of animated features that celebrate myriad shades of white girl-ness — with a dash of Pocahontas, Mulan and Tiana thrown in for good measure — it's refreshing when a studio realizes that other people exist and have stories worth telling.

As far as economics, DreamWorks could reap major benefits from this move. A" rel="nofollow - recent study conducted by UCLA's Bunche Center for African American Studies concluded that films with higher rates of onscreen minority involvement are generally more profitable. In 2011, the margin was about $90 million in favor of diverse films. While it's unclear how these numbers translate to animated features, it would certainly help researchers figure it out if there were more to choose from.

With that in mind, hopefully Home is the beginning of a much broader trend. It's about time.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:07am
I felt like I just watched the whole movie in that clip

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:15am
I'm watching itttttt

Ioncurr how old I is

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:46am
My niece will love this. I think they jockin Doc McStuffins btw.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:03am
It looks funny. I'll watch it

Posted By: cvzx
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:42am
I'll def take the little one... finally a character that looks like her.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 6:23am

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:22am
Rihanna's the voice? That'll be cute!

I'll go see it...

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:37am

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:00am
We saw a clip when we went to go see Mr. Peabody and Sherman. We'll definitely be going to see this.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:14pm
when does it come out? ill take my niece

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:26pm
I will support any cartoon that will get my niece out of that Frozen dress and blonde wig

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:29pm
I don't give a ish how old I am, i'll be watching to support this.

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:45pm
I support any film that lifts our children's eyes above what they are constantly being subconsciously told about themselves and causes them to imagine.  I'll take my kids.

Posted By: pinkecube
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:58pm
I am going to see this. Finally, I've been waiting for a moment like this for a while

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:04pm
looks cute.

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:15pm
Mmmm Hmm

Posted By: lumii18
Date Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 3:51pm
Comes out today! Is anyone seeing it?

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 5:11pm
awww im gonna take my sisters and their friends
it's weird i never thought of it as a black girl...i was like it's rihanna lol

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 5:21pm
I'm gonna watch and sneak in to run all night

Then I have to see fast & furious 7 when that drops

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 7:12pm
I'm taking the labs to go see it tomorrow.

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 7:24pm
Taking the kid this weekend.

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 8:29pm
im sorry yall but i think that movie's gonna suck bawls. Rihanna isnt a very good voice actor

Posted By: lumii18
Date Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 1:05am
It was actually really good.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 1:32am
I heard Rih was pretty decent but the movie was straight to netflix quality.

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 2:45pm
looks cute.

Print Page | Close Window