Print Page | Close Window

Hispanic is the New...White?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370041
Printed Date: Nov 23 2017 at 2:52pm


Topic: Hispanic is the New...White?
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Hispanic is the New...White?
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:25pm

Will Today’s Hispanics Be Tomorrow’s Whites?

http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?s=100&p%5btitle%5d=Will+Today%E2%80%99s+Hispanics+Be+Tomorrow%E2%80%99s+Whites%3F&p%5bsummary%5d=The+Trayvon+Martin+shooting+was+hardly+in+the+national+consciousness+before+fault+lines+emerged+around+the+case.+Was+Martin+as+innocent+as+he+seemed?+Did+Zimmerman+fear+for+his+life?+Did+Martin+provoke+the+incident?+Was+Zimmerman+a+racist?+Perhaps+most+controversial+among+all+of+these+was+the+question+of...&p%5bref%5d=sl_live&p%5bimages%5d%5b0%5d=http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/04/140415_POL_HispanicVoters.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg&p%5burl%5d=http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/04/america_s_future_racial_makeup_will_today_s_hispanics_be_tomorrow_s_whites.html" rel="nofollow - - http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/04/america_s_future_racial_makeup_will_today_s_hispanics_be_tomorrow_s_whites.html#comments" rel="nofollow - -

How Hispanics perceive themselves may shape the future of race in America.

By http://www.slate.com/authors.jamelle_bouie.html" rel="nofollow - Jamelle Bouie
Advocates for immigration reform gather as part of the National Day for Dignity and Respect. Immigration is driving the U.S.’s “demographic makeover.” Above, advocates for immigration reform in October 2013 in New Haven, Conn.

Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images

The Trayvon Martin shooting was hardly in the national consciousness before fault lines emerged around the case. Was Martin as innocent as he seemed? Did Zimmerman fear for his life? Did Martin provoke the incident? Was Zimmerman a racist?

http://www.slate.com/authors.jamelle_bouie.html" rel="nofollow - Perhaps most controversial among all of these was the question of identity. Yes, Trayvon Martin was black, but is Zimmerman white? For Martin’s sympathizers, the answer was yes. For Zimmerman’s, the answers ranged from “it doesn’t matter” to he “is actually a Hispanic nonracist person who acted in self-defense.”

In their early reports on the case, both CNN and the New York Times labeled him “white Hispanic,” sparking thunderous condemnation from right-wing critics. At Fox News, contributor Bernard Goldberg http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bernie-goldberg-to-megyn-kelly-zimmerman-described-as-white-because-media-needs-to-further-storyline/" rel="nofollow - accused the Times of race-baiting. “I guarantee you that if George Zimmerman did something good—if he finished first in his high school graduating class when he was younger—they wouldn’t refer to him as a white Hispanic, he’d just be a Hispanic,” he wrote. Likewise, National Review’s Jonah Goldberg http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/294600/playing-race-card-again-jonah-goldberg" rel="nofollow - blasted several news outlets for “playing the race card” with the term. And in typical paranoid style, Breitbart’s Ben Shapiro http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/07/11/CNN-white-hispanic" rel="nofollow - accused CNN of “labeling Zimmerman a ‘white Hispanic’ in order to maintain the false narrative that the killing was race-based.”

For good reason, this debate—whether the half-Peruvian Zimmerman was “Hispanic” or “white”—was quickly overshadowed by the activism and acrimony around Martin’s killing. But it’s not unimportant, as it reflects the tension and confusion over race in a changing America and offers a 21st-century spin on one of the oldest questions in American life: Who is white? This debate is useful to keep in mind as we sift through the information in the Pew Research Center’s new—and massive— http://www.pewresearch.org/next-america/" rel="nofollow - look at America’s shifting demographics .

According to Pew—and echoing the results in the last census—the United States is just a few decades away from its demographic inflection point. Come 2050, only 47 percent of Americans will call themselves white, while the majority will belong to a minority group. Blacks will remain steady at 13 percent of the population, while Asians will grow to 8 percent. Hispanics, on the other hand, will explode to 28 percent of all U.S. population, up from 19 percent in 2010. Immigration is driving this “demographic makeover,” specifically the “40 million immigrants who have arrived since 1965, about half of them Hispanics and nearly three-in-ten Asians.”

But the thing to remember about the Hispanic category, for instance, is that it contains a wide range of colors and ethnicities. In the United States, Hispanics (or more broadly Latinos) include Afro-Brazilians, dark-skinned Puerto Ricans, indigenous Mexicans, Venezuelan mestizos, and European Argentinians, among others.

To say that America will become a majority-minority country is to erase these distinctions and assume that, for now and forever, Latinos will remain a third race, situated next to “non-Hispanic blacks” and “non-Hispanic whites.” But, as the Zimmerman controversy illustrates, it’s not that simple.

American racial categories are far from fixed, and who counts as white is extremely fluid. “A hundred years ago,” writes Ian Haney López in http://www.amazon.com/dp/0199964270/?tag=slatmaga-20" rel="nofollow - Dog Whistle Politics , “firm racial lines elevated Anglo-Saxons over the supposedly degenerate races from southern and eastern Europe.” For a large chunk of the 19th century—and a good deal of the 20thAmerica’s intellectual energy was devoted to policing the boundaries of “whiteness.” Race “scientists” like William Z. Ripley measured human skulls and examined living standards to delineate the “races” of Europe, linking head shape to supposedly racial qualities like beauty and intelligence. Others used these supposedly objective factors to exclude a variety of different groups—Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans—from the American racial category, envisioned as a white person of British or German stock. “White race taxonomy,” writes Nell Irvin Painter in http://www.amazon.com/dp/0393339742/?tag=slatmaga-20" rel="nofollow - The History of White People , “was evolving into notions of immigration restriction and eugenics.”

Over time, however, as new immigrants entered the country and old ones gained access to levers of power and influence, the boundaries grew to include them. As Painter explains, “In their penury and apparent strangeness, the new [Southern and Eastern European] immigrants after 1880 made Irish and Germans immigrants and … their more prosperous, better-educated descendants seem acceptably American.”

It’s hard to say history is repeating itself—the circumstances of the early 21st century are vastly different from those of the late 19th—but the current period does seem to rhyme with the past. Over the last 50 years of large-scale Latino and Asian immigration, we’ve seen waves of anti-immigrant hysteria (Proposition 187 in California and the minutemen along the Mexican border), attempts to keep high-achieving immigrants and their children http://www.apple.com" rel="nofollow - out of elite institutions , and intermarriage leading to assimilation—one of the most famous comedians in the world, Louis C.K., is half-Mexican, but to most Americans, he’s just a white guy.

Rep. Rubén Hinojosa (D-TX) speaks as Rep. Juan Vargas (D-CA), Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-TX), Rep. Steven Horsford (D-NV), and Rep. Xavier Becerra. U.S. Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chair Rep. Rubén Hinojosa speaks as Reps. Juan Vargas, Joaquin Castro, Steven Horsford, and Xavier Becerra listen during a news conference on Oct. 23, 2013, on Capitol Hill in Washington.

Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images


Which is to say that, before we begin to say anything about our majority-minority future, we have to consider the ways in which our existing social dynamics and racial boundaries will change in response to the demographic shift.

Going forward, will white Hispanics see themselves as part of a different race—light-skinned but distinct from whites—or will they see themselves as another kind of white? Will the government treat them as white in its forms and surveys, and will so-called traditional white Americans understand them as such? What about the children of mixed marriages? As Pew points out, we live in an age of intermarriage. More than 15 percent of new marriages are between partners of different races, and the large majority of them are Hispanic and Asian “out marriage” to whites. Will these children retain a racial identity, or will they join the vast tapestry of American whiteness?

These are critical questions, since—in a country where white Hispanics are just white, and Asians intermarry at high rates—the white population of the United States could stay steady or actually grow.

Of course, not all Hispanics and Asians will enter the white mainstream. We don’t see them in popular culture, but there are sharp racial and class divisions in both groups. Low-income, dark-skinned Latinos and Pacific Islanders, for instance, face prejudice, racism, and a huge array of socio-economic challenges. And going forward, that might stay the same, as their fair-skinned, more affluent counterparts “become” white. Or, put another way, now might be the last time we have a public debate over the whiteness of a figure like George Zimmerman. To Americans of 2050, the answer would be obvious: “Of course he is.”

Pew ends its description of our changing demographics with a small rhetorical flourish: “We were once a black and white country. Now, we’re a rainbow.”

Or are we? After all, while we see the 19th century as a world of blacks and whites, that wasn’t true for Americans at the time. They saw their United States as diverse as we see ours—a hodgepodge of races and ethnicities, with blacks as the insoluble element. The difference was their construction of race, which placed various Europeans on a convoluted hierarchy of racial difference.

Our hierarchies are a little flatter, and—in public life, at least—we aren’t as obsessed with racial boundaries. But both still exist, and they take a familiar form: whites at the top, blacks at the bottom. The future could make a collection of minorities the majority in America, or it could broaden our definition of white, leaving us with a remix of the black-and-white binary. A country where some white people are Asian, some are Hispanic, and the dark-skinned citizens of America—and blacks especially—is still a world apart.


http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/04/america_s_future_racial_makeup_will_today_s_hispanics_be_tomorrow_s_whites.2.html




Replies:
Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:33pm
Hispanics are color struck like other minorities. Article a little too late with Hispanics identifying as white or black.


Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

Hispanics are color struck like other minorities. Article a little too late with Hispanics identifying as white or black.


how can you be late speculating on the future?


Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Will white Hispanics see themselves as part of a different race, or will they see themselves as just another kind of white?
they will/do see themselves as another kind of white and buck for the privilege that comes with. 

"traditional" whites, however, will feel hispanics are sorely mistaken, but are willing to deal as long as they look the part and stay in their place. 


Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:48pm


Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

how can you be late speculating on the future?
by informing people of trends they saw coming or are already experiencing in their day to day, local life. 

no shade, but like bunny's list full of info that we all knew. LOL


Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


sigh, these white people do so little, actually nothing at all, and get so much


Lamp


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:54pm
I don't think most of the Hispanics who will make up that 28% will consider themselves white at all.
It's those south Americans who do that the most and their numbers aren't that large.


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:57pm
A lot more Mexicans claim their native American Heritage vs. their European heritage.


Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

I can see this happening..that's how whiteness as a construct operates

same thing happened with the irish, jews and italians 
i'm sayin


Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

I can see this happening..that's how whiteness as a construct operates

same thing happened with the irish, jews and italians 




i see someone readLOL

yeah it wasnt too far long ago that those groups werent considered white.


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:16pm
I don't think it will be about black vs
White, it will be about European vs. Hispanics.
Black as an "issue" has been marginalized for quite some time. All you have to do is look at the speeches given by thought leaders at the LBJ summit on the civil rights acts.


Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

A lot more Mexicans claim their native American Heritage vs. their European heritage.

I knew some Mexicans quick to claim whatever "Spanish Blood" they can. This type of stuff been happening. Yts wanna increase their numbers and some Latinos wanna rub elbow with the "Man" and shyt on the bottom barrel folks....Blacks.


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

A lot more Mexicans claim their native American Heritage vs. their European heritage.


I knew some Mexicans quick to claim whatever "Spanish Blood" they can. This type of stuff been happening. Yts wanna increase their numbers and some Latinos wanna rub elbow with the "Man" and shyt on the bottom barrel folks....Blacks.


That's because they are in the minority. Hispanic culture is extremely strong in this country, in radio, tv, and certain sectors of industry. There are some whitewashed of course, but in my opinion most Hispanics in America have zero desire to assimilate with whites.


Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:34pm
yt folk aint never going to see it that way...


Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:36pm
"I don't think most of the Hispanics who will make up that 28% will consider themselves white at all. 
It's those south Americans who do that the most and their numbers aren't that large."


I agree with this. The vast majority of the Hispanics that come to this country are brown-skinned and look more obviously of Latin or Afro-Hispanic descent than European. And it's not just skin color, it's also their Native American features as well. Unlike so many European immigrants, it's not merely a matter of the next generation being born native American English speakers or simply learning to speak without an accent in order to assimilate into white culture. It would take generations of widespread interracial procreation before a big enough part of the majority would be able to credibly identify as white. Even then, with so many family members who would marry other brown skin folks or black folks, they wouldn't be able to escape their heritage the same way European immigrants did. Couple that with the current political climate, I think it's highly unlikely that Latinos are going to be aligning themselves with white folks. It's more likely that Latinos will continue describing themselves as such and will wind up aligning themselves with black folks both politically and socially. 


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:43pm
Hispanics the ones I encounter already think they higher on the pole than black and are closer to white than we will ever be. 

I do not see them "aligning" with us they want their own identity , hell some of them want rights & SSI  even though they are here illegally and don't get me started on the anchor babies. 

Hell some of them are already passing for white if they pale enough and a non ethnic sounding name. 


Posted By: oneluv
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 5:28pm
This is why I always say black people need to start getting married and having more kids...


Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 5:32pm
When I say "aligning", I'm talking politically. Since politics, and the resulting economic empowerment, is the only way to real power, that's really all that matters to me. Politically speaking, they've already aligned with us. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. 


Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:43pm
I live in a city that's 93% Hispanic. Mexican, that is. The poorest of the poor will vote Republican, even though The GOP usually opposes the causes that benefit them the most. I have had many Mexican Democrats tell me that their own relatives that benefit from Democrat supported programs are "sell outs" and want to be perceived as and accepted by Whites.
 
They are pawns. Plain and simple.
 
Reminds me of the Lyndon Johnson quote about poor and middle class Whites that vote Republican/against their own interests.
 
"If you can convince the lowest White (or Mexican) man he's better than the best colored/Black man , he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him someone to look down on and he'll empty his pockets for you."


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:49pm
Latinos voted for President Barack Obama over Republican Mitt Romney by 71% to 27%, according to an analysis of exit polls by the Pew Hispanic Center, a Project of the Pew Research Center.1

Obama’s national vote share among Hispanic voters is the highest seen by a Democratic candidate since 1996, when President Bill Clinton won 72% of the Hispanic vote.



More stats here: http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/11/07/latino-voters-in-the-2012-election/


Posted By: FABdotNET
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:50pm
Most(Hispanic's) from my hometown wear very light make up and wear blue colored contacts, which I've never understood due to a rally happening in my town to get rid of the Hispanics Confused


Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:07pm
Yes, I did. If you look at the trajectory of minorities' opinions on a variety of social issues, they align almost in lock step yet are far more progressive than the majority of whites. Look at what's going on with the immigration reform debate? You don't think Latinos hear the dog whistles and slurs hurled at them on the regular? Immigration reform is also an issue that many on the forefront of the modern civil rights movement have taken up as common cause. That, and because I don't think Latinos are somehow self-hating as a people, is why I don't even begin to believe they will shed their heritage and start trying to be white anymore than any other group. 

Also, American pop culture today is increasingly dominated by blacks, Latinos and olive skinned people and white folks that either want to be black or Latino. Why would Latinos want to go back to the white standard? Why would they do that to themselves? I can't imagine that they're not as sick and damn tired of white domination and privilege as we are. 


"Latinos voted for President Barack Obama over Republican Mitt Romney by 71% to 27%, according to an analysis of exit polls by the Pew Hispanic Center, a Project of the Pew Research Center.1"

Thanks for bringing in some facts. Just look at some of the Latino Decisions polling and it's clear that the divide between mainstream whites and Latinos is growing bigger, not smaller. 


Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:25pm
As part of the enrollment paperwork that we do w/ new students at the career school I work at, students are asked, (they can decline), to select the racial category that they identify with.
 
The 1st question is" Do you consider yourself Hispanic/Latino?"
 
The 2nd part of the question is:
In addition, select one of more racial categories to describe yourself:
 
   American Indian or Alaska Native
   Asian
   Black or African American
   Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
   White
 
It's about 60/40. Some don't select and other category and the rest in fact, select White. The ones that are darker than me, usually. LOL
 
I don't care, I just find it..interesting.
 
Strangely, the ones that are Black/Mexican mixed, rarely claim their Mexcian side.


Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:27pm



Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:35am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Will white Hispanics see themselves as part of a different race, or will they see themselves as just another kind of white?
they will/do see themselves as another kind of white and buck for the privilege that comes with. 

"traditional" whites, however, will feel hispanics are sorely mistaken, but are willing to deal as long as they look the part and stay in their place. 


This is very true. I have met Hispanics who cannot speak Spanish or worse: will act like they can't, just to fit in. I have met some who don't even know where their immigrants parents are from, because they never wanted anything to do with their own heritage.
A lot of hispanics here in LA are doing that. The lighter they are, the more they try. I have met way too many Latinos/Hispanics kissing as$ of whites .


Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:52am
But a lot of Latinos are white. They've always been white, not a new white. The majority of old school Cubans in Miami are white people. Shakira and Nina Garcia are white. Look at Univision and telemundo and tell me what you see...white people.

Latinos have the same issues and divides as every other group on the planet.


Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:55am
Been telling y'all


Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:09am
I guess thats just some hispanics...


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:57am
100% cuban


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:57am
Hispanic is not a damn race!


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:00am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


I still don't think they siding with us....they looking out for their own interests and voting a certain way
I am not bashing but we can even agree on our own racial id. I am starting to feel like there is NO us! we have so many image problems and a crab in a barrel attitude I want Jesus to come and unite us or what ever he is going to do because there is too much confusion


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:05am




Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:25am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Hispanic is not a damn race!

we all know this though esp since we have afro-latina posters over here...that's not even the point of the article or discussion
I am having the worst time posting on this bd. But maybe I am over simplifying things here. From what I understood about this article- its about racial id. for so called Hispanics in the US... correct me if I am wrong?


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:54am
INITIALLY THE OPPRESSED IDENTIFY WITH THEIR OPPRESSORS. If given a bit of power, at first the oppressed tend themselves to become petty tyrants. "Their ideal is to be men; but for them, to be men is to be oppressors. This is their model of humanity. They are still identified with their oppressors' values. The peasant who becomes a foreman may be harsher toward the other peasants than the owner. The context of the situation remains unchanged. (30)
form the book the pedagogy of the oppressed- this is just another example of racial id. in America for example, when people from other countries take on the values and attitudes of the oppressor.. like Pharell in the other post! like Some of the voters in this article... For some they may racially be white but for many they are a mixture of several races and I think racial id is part of what this boils down to


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:58am


The same concepts you stated in your points can be applied to Black's in America or from other places so how is this not about racial ID? this has everything to do with racial id??? anyway I am not here to debate with you
eta: yes we know hispanics/latin@s are not a race but you can't deny the fact that there are privileges afforded to lighter skin 

...and the fact that some posters have talked about some of them abandoning their roots/language/changing their appearances is definitely important 

[/QUOTE]


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:05am
Cherry my God dont let me argue with people with man plans like they trying to catch a mouse in they house .


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:08am
I am calm what are you talking about??? That is from an article? I think I just said that? you can't hear me and that is the problem with posting... did the people in the first pic look fair to you because they did not to me...


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:12am
well I beg to differ... access to whiteness?? Its not about whiteness its about mentality as "Skate bd. P" has put it! There is a growing number of mix raced Blacks in America and not only that Black one's that don't want to id as Black!


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:14am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Cherry my God dont let me argue with people with man plans like they trying to catch a mouse in they house .
wait how many times have you been DIVORCED? I know you want to give advice but please save some for yourself THX.


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:16am
Divorced once, Smile and I am still fabulous by the way.....

How many times did you plot,  plan and try and hold on to your refurbished vagina only to have him still not want to even marry you?


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:17am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

<span style="line-height: 22px;">like talking to a brick wall...I'm done</span>

image
that's the way I feel because I am sure you don't understand me~


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:21am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Divorced once, Smile and I am still fabulous by the way.....

How many times did you plot,  plan and try and hold on to your refurbished vagina only to have him still not want to even marry you?
what are you saying? What is that? is that what you got? I am not married because I have not found a match? How old are you? Are you trying to lead by example because seems to me like you try and take every opportunity to act uncivilized! NO one believes you are HAPPY confused but not happy!


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 6:38am

I know you didn't understand what I wrote just like your comprehension on the article that you read but still left you baffled hence the comments. The fact that you spend time trying to figure out MY happiness level further lets me know that you clearly need a hobby and a sign in name for Black People Meet.







Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 6:50am
Chile you are crazier than I first imagined if you think Im worried about if people on the intraweb think Im unhappy & uncivilized Confused.  You make your little comments here and there that are not always polite the difference is it aint worth my energy to try and point it out to you.

No worries, you are now on my good and crazy ignore list so we wont have any more exchanges in the future. 


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 6:52am
I use to think English wasn't her first language.......


Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 6:53am
No new beaners!!


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:15am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

in a nutshell, the article is exploring the idea of whether light-skinned hispanics will join the ranks of whiteness in the future

..a 100 years ago even the irish weren't regarded as white so it's food for thought

whiteness (race in general) is a construct and constantly shifting

eta: yes we know hispanics/latin@s are not a race but you can't deny the fact that there are privileges afforded to lighter skin 

...and the fact that some posters have talked about some of them abandoning their roots/language/changing their appearances is definitely important 





The majority of Hispanics that immigrate here are not light skinned. They don't look like Zimmerman. They are quite clearly identified on sight, unlike European whites who can assimilate as easy as loosing an accent. If this article is talking about the Hispanics who are primarily European then yeah, I get your point.


Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:36am
I think so, they already called them WHITE as in race.
Any who they be thinking they're like white people too, just rude.


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:28pm
a lot of the hispanics/Latinos I know hate white people but there's division within their community just like any other...and there's a huge number of them so I'm sure the white Hispanics or claim white Hispanics are the majority.


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:31pm
Ask a white white person if they think light the pale mexican is white Embarrassed


Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:37pm
Latinos want to be Latinos... Yes some want to assimilate and be considered white but I find that most don't want to be defined by a check mark on a box.
 
If you are Mexico you are Mexican, Cuba=Cuban, El Salvador=Salvadorian and the list goes on.


Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:00pm
they'd prefer to be identified by country of origin rather than race?^ Make sense to me


Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:10pm
I think we’ve been talking past each other and missing the point-who cares what box Latinos check off when they identify themselves on government forms? What matters to me is how they act, vote, treat other minorities, and what they may do with that newfound “whiteness”. Does that whiteness come with the same white privilege and dominance, or will they see it as merely a description? I think the latter is true. The number of new interracial marriages from Pew poll is only 275,000, of which 43% or 118,00 were Latino-White, and of all Latino new marriages 25% were interracial. So, about 75% married other Latinos. That means the vast majority of Latinos are going to continue to be brown and those that identify as white are going to continue to have black and brown relatives whom they love. Unlike Irish immigrants, they can’t simply learn to speak with a different accent in order to shed their “otherness”. Unlike past immigrants there’s really no need to.

 



Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:47pm
"still not sure why it is thought they will suddenly band with other minorities" 

Because every bit of political and issue polling evidence says they already have. They're increasingly voting Democratic with 71% of their vote share going to President Obama in 2012. They're increasingly becoming more activist on issues of healthcare, income inequality, strengthening the social safety net, racial minority civil rights, police brutality, the drug war, voting rights, gun control, etc. These are issues on which we are aligned. They are apart of the Obama Coalition. It's not my opinion they will band with other minorities, it's a fact that they most definitely have politically. And politically is really all that matters. Yes, they have issues that may not be as big a deal to black folks and we have issues that may not necessarily be as significant to Latinos. But, even the modern civil rights movement has taken up immigration reform as a civil rights issue. There is definitely a belief within the activist community that all of our issues as minorities are common cause. 


Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:50pm
 
"I don't think voting the same ticket = solidarity

my co worker and I can but vote Dem and not be a united front"

I guess that’s where I respectfully disagree. To me, how you vote is everything. Be it quality education affordability and access, healthcare, financial security (women lose out on over $400,000 in wages in our lifetime because of wage inequality), taxes, civil rights, reproductive freedom, etc. these things determine our quality of life and access to opportunity.  

Many of the struggles the black community faces are in large part a direct result of public policy. Trayvon Martin might be at a college dorm right now laughing with his friends were it not for this country’s gun policy or lack thereof. The inner cities would be teeming with industry were it not for policies in the 80’s that busted up unions and rewarded companies for sending jobs overseas. Were it not for our idiotic drug policy, black men wouldn’t be more likely to be dead or in prison. Our communities wouldn’t be in such disrepair if we had fair taxation policies that didn’t allow the rich to pay lower tax rates than the middle class. Detroit didn’t become Detroit because of corrupt Democratic mayors, it got that way under Republican governors who siphoned the city dry. That two day pile-up in Atlanta during a mild snow storm wasn’t because Kaseem Reid didn’t do enough to prepare. It was because of the white suburbs and their slash and burn tax policies that left them unable to clear the roads.

 

I don’t really need someone of any racial persuasion to be my friend or ally on a personal level or to feel my pain. I need them to vote in a way that helps improve my economy and protects real freedom, like the freedom to not die of a preventable disease or get mowed down by some piece of isht with a gun. As far as I’m concerned, Latinos or any group are welcome to hate the hell out of us as long as they don’t stand in the way of our progress. And elections decide how and whether we progress or regress. 



Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:19pm
Thanks, Samone. I've really enjoyed our discussion. It's so wonderful to be able to have respectful, intelligent discussion with other black women. Too many of us can tell you everything that ever happened on Basketball Wives, which I love too, but don't really know what's going on in the world around them. 


Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:21pm
Deleted. This comment system hates me. 


Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Traylee Traylee wrote:

"
Because every bit of political and issue polling evidence says they already have. They're increasingly voting Democratic with 71% of their vote share going to President Obama in 2012. They're increasingly becoming more activist on issues of healthcare, income inequality, strengthening the social safety net, racial minority civil rights, police brutality, the drug war, voting rights, gun control, etc. These are issues on which we are aligned. They are apart of the Obama Coalition. It's not my opinion they will band with other minorities, it's a fact that they most definitely have politically. And politically is really all that matters. Yes, they have issues that may not be as big a deal to black folks and we have issues that may not necessarily be as significant to Latinos. But, even the modern civil rights movement has taken up immigration reform as a civil rights issue. There is definitely a belief within the activist community that all of our issues as minorities are common cause. 
 
 
I think a lot of why they voted Democrat this time around as a whole has to do with the illegal immigration situation, and how unfavorably the Republicans talked about it as a whole.  And despite that, both parties actively try to court the "hispanic vote".  It is assumed the majority of blacks in America will vote Democrat so neither side really courts us.
 
Let the Rebublicans start to dangle some carats their way, that vote will shift quickly.


Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by whosbotheringme whosbotheringme wrote:

Originally posted by Traylee Traylee wrote:

"
Because every bit of political and issue polling evidence says they already have. They're increasingly voting Democratic with 71% of their vote share going to President Obama in 2012. They're increasingly becoming more activist on issues of healthcare, income inequality, strengthening the social safety net, racial minority civil rights, police brutality, the drug war, voting rights, gun control, etc. These are issues on which we are aligned. They are apart of the Obama Coalition. It's not my opinion they will band with other minorities, it's a fact that they most definitely have politically. And politically is really all that matters. Yes, they have issues that may not be as big a deal to black folks and we have issues that may not necessarily be as significant to Latinos. But, even the modern civil rights movement has taken up immigration reform as a civil rights issue. There is definitely a belief within the activist community that all of our issues as minorities are common cause. 





 

 

I think a lot of why they voted Democrat this time around as a whole has to do with the illegal immigration situation, and how unfavorably the Republicans talked about it as a whole.  And despite that, both parties actively try to court the "hispanic vote".  It is assumed the majority of blacks in America will vote Democrat so neither side really courts us.

[COLOR=#9900cc][/COLOR] 

Let the Rebublicans start to dangle some carats their way, that vote will shift quickly.


indeed...whosbotheringme


Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:11pm

I follow several local news stations on my Facebook page. When a Black person is accused/charged/convicted of a crime, the Mexicans are right there w/ the racist Whites making racist comments. Even when it's posts about "Obummer", or when the Zimmerman/Martin trial was on. I even commented that if Trayvon had been "Jose Rodriguez", the same racist Whites that they were siding with would have been making derogatory racist comments.

All I know is San Antonio Mexicans seem "different" than California Mexicans. Even Mexicans I have discussed this with from other states, say they don't understand why Mexicans here are so racist, when you would think they would unite more with their "browner cousins"/Blacks. Hell, THEY don't even understand it.


Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:27pm
"I think a lot of why they voted Democrat this time around as a whole has to do with the illegal immigration situation, and how unfavorably the Republicans talked about it as a whole. "

Hispanics have been voting Democratic since they began tracking racial voting trends. FDR, Clinton, and LBJ each won over 90% of the Latino vote. Other than Reagan, George W. Bush did the best of any Republican candidate by winning a mere 44% of the Hispanic vote and that was because he had a pretty liberal immigration plan and Mexican family members. 
Also, look at how Cubans in Florida voted in 2012. For the first time since Castro came to power they split their vote between the two parties. Understand that in 2000, Al Gore only won 19% of their vote. Because of wet foot/dry foot (our immigration policy for Cuban exiles is basically that you can stay as long as you have one foot on dry land), Cubans aren't all that concerned about immigration policy. A 28+% swing in only 8 years is about something much bigger than immigration. 


Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:20pm
Mexicans are racist as f*ck. But one thing I can say about them they look out for each other.


Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:26pm
They may be on the trend to do that now.  But their vote is a lot more swingable than black Americans.


Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

I follow several local news stations on my Facebook page. When a Black person is accused/charged/convicted of a crime, the Mexicans are right there w/ the racist Whites making racist comments. Even when it's posts about "Obummer", or when the Zimmerman/Martin trial was on. I even commented that if Trayvon had been "Jose Rodriguez", the same racist Whites that they were siding with would have been making derogatory racist comments.

All I know is San Antonio Mexicans seem "different" than California Mexicans. Even Mexicans I have discussed this with from other states, say they don't understand why Mexicans here are so racist, when you would think they would unite more with their "browner cousins"/Blacks. Hell, THEY don't even understand it.

OMG so different. The Californian mexicans be so confused. When it was a big number of them moving to SA it would be Cali vs Texas in schools. Even though they were all mexican. Other hispanic groups ride along the coat tails like choose what side they wanted to be on. Like the small number of Puerto Ricans and Cubans. 
Mexicans are extremely racist and really look out for theyre own. The ones with money you cant tell them they not white and better than other mexicans.


Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:58pm
I don't think so, not after the last 6 years. The media never really talked about it, but even Asians went for Obama at 73%. For the first time in history, every conceivable minority racial group went for the Democrat by over 70% and all are trending away from the GOP. That's a coalition the white power structure has no ability to do anything about but hide and watch us fix all that they've broken. 


Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:56am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

Hispanics are color struck like other minorities. Article a little too late with Hispanics identifying as white or black.


how can you be late speculating on the future?


Based on this in the article "Will white Hispanics see themselves as part of a different race, or will they see themselves as just another kind of white?"

Hispanics know whites will never consider them a part of the "white" race, therefore, they'll settle different kind of white. Being that Hispanics have their own light vs dark issues (white vs black) issues in their own community. White/European Hispanics already set themselves a part from their black/darker afro Hispanic counterparts. Best believe those white/European looking Hispanics living the "white privilege" compared to afro latinos.



Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 2:02am
Originally posted by Bribby Bribby wrote:

Mexicans are extremely racist and really look out for theyre own. The ones with money you cant tell them they not white and better than other mexicans.


Truth.com I lived two years in Mexico teaching English and uhmmmmm I had an eye opening experience.


Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 2:23pm
Samone, I'm a very data driven person and politics is my passion so my optimism is based on the data and trends that have been moving this way for decades. Even in the run up to the 2012 election, the talk in politics was that Romney would be the last presidential candidate to try to win with the white vote alone. Because of population trends (66,000 Hispanics turn 18 every week, the freefall of the white birth rate, the most liberal generation of young people in American history, etc), the white power structure is simply unsustainable. In fact, last year there were many Republicans sounding the alarm that if they didn't get their isht together with minorities they could be out of the WH for a generation.
 Plus, the fact that the first black president was also one of only six presidents in history to win both times with over 51% of the vote (first time since 1956) and the only one to get over 70% of all minority votes is pretty telling about where the nation is moving. When you consider that women of color were largely responsible for that huge victory, it's hard for me to imagine that coalition won't hold in 2016 when Clinton runs. 


Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 1:13am
Mexicans Sick


Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 2:13am
I'd rather people who don't want to be black who are black disown themselves from our race anyway. Goodbye we don't need you.



Print Page | Close Window