Print Page | Close Window

“Junk food” banned from schools July 1

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370038
Printed Date: Dec 11 2017 at 6:30am

Topic: “Junk food” banned from schools July 1
Posted By: tatee
Subject: “Junk food” banned from schools July 1
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:11pm

Hello fruits and vegetables! “Junk food” banned from schools July 1

• http://fox59.com/bio/lindy-thackston/" rel="nofollow -

by http://fox59.com/bio/lindy-thackston/" rel="nofollow - Lindy Thackston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvcpmJoJh7c" rel="nofollow - video

INDIANAPOLIS — School leaders are getting ready for a big change in school food service.

The USDA’s Smart Snacks in School rules go into effect July 1, 2014. In short, all “junk food” in vending machines, a la carte lunch, student stores and fundraisers such as bake sales will be banned July 1.

“I think that’s great!” said Betsy Hunsucker, a Brownsburg mother. “I think kids would love fruits and vegetables.”

Fruits, vegetables, dairy, protein-rich foods and whole grain-rich foods are allowed.

Water, milk and 100 percent fruit and vegetable juice is permitted. High school students can have caffeine and low-calorie carbonated drinks.

There are also rules when it comes to nutritional values like calories, sodium, sugar and fat.

“I’m afraid that parents have spoiled their children so much with the choices that they allow them to make at home that the kids will turn up their noses to the nutrition,” said Hunsucker.

Some schools, like Brownsburg, have already started. They have been compliant with grades K-5 since Christmas break, and have been slowly introducing older students to items like baked chips.

Katie Sherven, the director of food services for Brownsburg Schools, says they’re really excited about their plans to put a “garden bar” in all of their schools next year.

As for the possible impact on fundraising, Sherven says fortunately for them, many of their fundraisers do not revolve around food, like the Fun Run and Dog Jog.

She said she’s met with all Brownsburg principals about the guidelines for vending machines and any food-related sales.

Schools that don’t comply face hefty fines or loss of federal funding.

Not all parents think it’s a great idea.

“I like the way it’s done now because they have fast food one day a week,” said Vicki Masters. “They are in Plainfield and they have a lot of choice. They have things that they actually will eat so they do get food in them to go through their day. There are things they just won’t eat. They’d rather not eat than eat something they don’t like.”

The USDA guide on the rules is 54 pages long, but these are the basics:

Ingredient Rules
Any competitive food sold must be a:
a. Fruit
b. Vegetable
c. Dairy product
d. Protein-rich food (meat, beans, poultry, seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds)
e. Whole-grain rich food (first ingredient is a whole grain or product is 50% whole grains
by weight)
f. Combo food that has at least ¼ cup fruit and/or vegetable
* Exception until July 1, 2016 – A food is allowed if it contains a minimum of 10% of
the Daily Value of calcium, potassium, Vitamin D or fiber
Nutrient Standards
All competitive foods must meet each of the following nutrient limits:
a. Calories
• Max 200 calories for snacks and sides
• Max 350 calories for entrees (outside the school lunch program)
b. Sugar
• Max 35% sugar by weight (some fruit exceptions)
c. Sodium
• Max 230mg sodium for snacks (200mg after July 1, 2016)
d. Fat
• Fat: Max 35% calories from fat (as packaged or served; some exceptions
for reduced fat cheese and nuts apply)
• Sat fat: Max 10% calories from fat (as packaged or served; some exceptions
for reduced fat cheese and nuts apply)
• Trans fat – 0g as served
Beverage Rules
All grade levels may sell:
a. Water or carbonated water; unflavored low-fat milk; flavored or unflavored fat-free
milk and soy alternatives; and 100% fruit or vegetable juice. Size limits: 8 oz for
elementary schools & 12 oz for middle and high schools.
b. High schools may also sell lower calorie flavored and/or carbonated beverages
that meet the following rules:
a. 5 calories per 8 fl oz, or 10 calories per 20 fl oz; and
b. 40 calories per 8 fl oz, or 60 calories per 12 fl oz.
c. Note: caffeine only permitted in high schools

If students have access to the teacher’s lounge, the same rules apply in the teacher’s lounge.

State agencies will monitor compliance.

Read more: http://fox59.com/2014/04/10/hello-fruits-and-vegetables-junk-food-banned-from-schools-july-1/#ixzz2z4tsvK8f" rel="nofollow - http://fox59.com/2014/04/10/hello-fruits-and-vegetables-junk-food-banned-from-schools-july-1/#ixzz2z4tsvK8f

Replies:
Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:13pm

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:15pm
*doesn't eat at school*
*goes home and eats three dinners*

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:19pm
works for me.  Kids are too fat right now.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:33pm
I doubt kids are getting fat because of what they eat at school.

On another note, a new school hustle just opened up. And suspensions for the war on snacks.

Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

everything you eat goes towards weight gain...coupled with lack of physical activity.  There was hella junk food at my school.

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:36pm
"If students have access to the teacher’s lounge, the same rules apply in the teacher’s lounge."

now i gotta go outside to get a snicker

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:39pm
Of course the school made them fat, it has NOTHING to do with the 2 bowls of fruity pebbles, french toast sticks and bacon, before school . The chips, juice boxes, lunchables and "fruit snacks in his lunch or the McDonalds nuggets, fries, pizza rolls, nachos, pizza, and milkshakes he eats at home while he plays xbox, and watches 5 hours of cartoon network . 

Nope , those darn schools.... I mean he or she had to rob banks for $$$ to put in there right??

I already warned JR, I will not be hunting down husky Levis so he can try it if he wants too. 

Posted By: KottonKandy
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:46pm
They need to do this in NY. I was there and I couldn't help but notice all the black/Hispanic kids were chunky chunks. As soon as they got off the bus, they hit up one of the thousands bodegas on the block.  It needs to be at home, school, neighborhood. I wasn't in the richest nyc area. 

Posted By: Up&Out39
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:46pm
Good. It needs to start somewhere. Just because home is where they eat junk food mostly, does not mean the school should sit back and do the same. That's a ridiculous mindset. I'm all for taking the lesser of two evils out of the equation. 

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:53pm
its not the schools fault but just the fact that you have fat kids is proof positive that parents are either clueless or just dont give a . so yeah you can say its the parents responsibility, you can blame the food industry or the easter bunny but at some point you have to look around at all these fat kids and ask where do we start?

Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:55pm
I think this is wonderful. For the millions of children who receive free breakfast and lunch at school, this could greatly improve their health. Even if it's just nine months of the school year, they may develop a taste for healthier foods that may bleed over into their home lives.  The government isn't blaming the schools, it's just that school is the one place where the government has the ability to address the problem. 

I applaud the president and First Lady for these efforts and everything they do. The obesity epidemic is not only effecting our national security because of a near generation of kids who will be too heavy to serve, it's effecting our budget because of folks with obesity-related illnesses that can no longer work, go on SSI and Medicaid. Additionally, we're paying for these illnesses through higher insurance premiums and medical costs. 

Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:58pm
agree traylee...

These kids are overweight but malnourished at the same damn time.

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:59pm
Its a good start, but I agree.. these kids are getting fat and out of shape at home and on the weekends more so than at school.

.. but while the schools are at it, they should probably get rid of the frito pies and hormone induced chicken parts they serve the kids in the lunch lines.

I NEVER liked cafeteria food at school. Dead

Posted By: Traylee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:05pm
"These kids are overweight but malnourished at the same damn time."

Yep, and there's really not a whole lot else the administration can do to address the problem. There's nothing the government can do to force parents to feed their children healthily or force their kids to get plenty of exercise. That's up to parents. But what the government can do is put guidelines on the things kids eat at school, the food that is subsidized by taxpayers. 

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:14pm
I’m that type of mommy---- that will bring my sons’ food right before lunch (like the Asian parents in my domain)…
I have time on my hands ---my son does not eat red meat or fast food etc…
He loves chicken curry, rice, black beans and homemade pizza, meh. He’s slim and tall.
Sometimes, I wish that I did not have to cook home meals everyday (well, most of the time)… just to save time.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:48pm
I would be mad as hell if I was one of those kids. Why I can't I eat my snickers cuz fat ass Tommy can't diet at home.

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I would be mad as hell if I was one of those kids. Why I can't I eat my snickers cuz fat ass Tommy can't diet at home.
Greedy ass.

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:59pm

Thats what my son says, same thing about running laps at football practice cause one dipshyt wanted to play around.

Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:13pm
Yup..it's always one person f*cking it up for everybody

Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Mixer Mixer wrote:

Greedy ass.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Thats what my son says, same thing about running laps at football practice cause one dipshyt wanted to play around.
i agree with bb and your son.

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

Yeah, I remember my 6th grade teacher tried to make all of us stay after because someone fcked up. I bounced.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

It reminds me of this episode.LOL

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

works for me.  Kids are too fat right now.

Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:29pm
i love when Cartman talks to his stuff animals lol

Posted By: KottonKandy
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:30pm

Of course the school made them fat, it has NOTHING to do with the 2 bowls of fruity pebbles, french toast sticks and bacon, before school . The chips, juice boxes, lunchables and "fruit snacks in his lunch or the McDonalds nuggets, fries, pizza rolls, nachos, pizza, and milkshakes he eats at home while he plays xbox, and watches 5 hours of cartoon network . 

Nope , those darn schools.... I mean he or she had to rob banks for $$$ to put in there right??

I already warned JR, I will not be hunting down husky Levis so he can try it if he wants too. 

LOL, this reminds me when my sister got fat and my mom told her she needs to start walking or something 'cause she can't have no fat kids.. 

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:37pm
Here's what I don't understand- they want to bad sugar but still want to feed children COW's milk and its by products?

causing people asthma and eczema

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:53pm
Everything in moderation

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 10:03pm

On another note, a new school hustle just opened up. And suspensions for the war on snacks.

I used to do that in HS.LOL   i'd stop at the store on the way to school and pick up whatever they wasn't selling at the Student store and i'd have ethnic treats...chile plums, salted plums, Lucas Limon and chile salts.  Good as sh*t.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 10:46pm

Its gon be like the wire......

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:11pm
A high school me would have been mad as hell at the fat kids. I'm representing our school in sports and can't even get a bag of chips with my pizza. The adult and mommy in me loves this idea.

Posted By: PurrPoZe
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Here's what I don't understand- they want to bad sugar but still want to feed children COW's milk and its by products?

causing people asthma and eczema

Because milk is an industry that's not going anywhere. I think if people actually stopped to think that this species milk was meant for its offspring..just as a woman's breast milk is meant for a baby it would stop.

This is a good start though. Now let's get labels for GMOs

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:31pm
Candy dealers, sweet runners???
The suspentions are coming.

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

I used to do that in HS.LOL   i'd stop at the store on the way to school and pick up whatever they wasn't selling at the Student store and i'd have ethnic treats...chile plums, salted plums, Lucas Limon and chile salts.  Good as sh*t.

We had a dude iin hgh school who carried an extra book bag filled with snacks. He was like a mobile candy man lol. Chips, juice, sodas, Air Heads, etc.

I'm not mad about the OP. It honestly could help. I remember I used to hate white milk as a kid. Then I went to a new elementary school that didn't serve chocolate milk or other goodies.

It was either drink milk, or choke down your lunch with nothing. I actually grew to love milk.

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Katrenia Katrenia wrote:

Candy dealers, sweet runners???
The suspentions are coming.

Only a hater would snitch tho'

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:29am
That's wassup.

Smh @ parents saying their kids would rather not eat then eat something. Yeah let their lil asses get hungry though and tell me what they won't do.

My niece transferred from a public school before the change to a black empowerment school where they only serve holistic foods. Added sugars are banned, you can't even pack a candy bar in your kids lunch. The difference is amazing. The kids are so well behaved, polite, alert, etc. they sleep better at night and are present during the day. It's some other factors but the diet really makes a difference.

It's not just about obesity. A lot of skinny and fat adults have no idea how to be healthy bc nobody ever showed them the tools to be so. Give them the foundation now so that when they have those choices they'll make the best ones.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:45am
I agree that it needs to start somewhere but, good eating habits starts at home too.

What good is it gonna do to eat all this healthy food at school then eat all kinds of crap at home...not to mention continued access to fast food restaurants. There IS good in this, but at the same time promote inconsistency.....maybe I'm wrong....I dunno. SleepyDisapprove

Print Page | Close Window