Print Page | Close Window

Twin girls drown while grandmother naps

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370012
Printed Date: Dec 17 2018 at 8:32am


Topic: Twin girls drown while grandmother naps
Posted By: liesnalibis
Subject: Twin girls drown while grandmother naps
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:14am
If I let someone watch my kids and this happened I don't even want to think about what I would do.

Twin toddler girls drown days after parents marry






AURORA, IND. — Twin toddlers died shortly after they were  http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2014/04/09/twin-2-year-old-girls-pulled-from-pool-die/7497111/" rel="nofollow - pulled from a neighbor's pool near here , according to the Dearborn County Sheriff's office.

The bodies of Shaylyn and Jocelyn Spurlock, 2, were found about 2½ hours after a 911 call came in around 6:50 p.m. ET Tuesday, Maj. Terry Van Winkle said Wednesday.

The girls apparently had wandered out of their home and climbed on top of a neighbor's covered above-ground pool two doors from their house, he said. The home in Center Township, Ind., is about 2 miles from this town of about 4,000 people on the banks of the Ohio River southwest of Cincinnati.

Emergency personnel immediately began CPR on the twins; they were transported to Dearborn County Hospital in Lawrenceburg, Ind, where they were pronounced dead.

"We are all trained to help people, but it's just devastating when we can't do it," Van Winkle said. "It affects us for a while. Our heart goes out to the families."

A neighbor and a firefighter found the girls in the water on top of a pool cover that had standing water from recent storms, Detective Sgt. John Vance told  http://www.wlwt.com/news/Twin-girls-die-after-being-found-in-neighbor-s-pool/25386106" rel="nofollow - WLWT-TV, Cincinnati .

"I was in my yard with my husband," neighbor Heather Bressert told  http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/two-missing-girls-from-dearborn-county-found-in-neighbors-pool" rel="nofollow - WCPO-TV, Cincinnati . "A couple of firemen and my husband noticed something in my neighbors' pool. While we were walking down there we quickly figured out what we saw was a small child."

The girls drowned by accident, according to a preliminary autopsy Wednesday from the Dearborn County Coroner's Office.

"I ran, picked one of the little girls up and brought her up to a fireman and started CPR," Bressert said. "Another fireman jumped in the pool to pick up the other little girl." The family who owned the home where the toddlers were found was out of town Tuesday.

Not all pool covers protect children from mishaps, child-safety advocates say.

Covers over pools and spas should be rigid and strong enough to hold a child who might try to walk on them. Some can be locked so only an adult can remove them. And ladders to above-ground pools also should be removed when the pools are not in use, according to the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission. A fence around the entire pool area creates a barrier. Supervision of children also is extremely important.

Dearborn County's planning and zoning director, Mark McCormack told  http://eaglecountryonline.com/local-article/911-call-shows-mother-drowned-twins-panic-questions-arise-whether-pool-met-code/" rel="nofollow - WSCH-FM, Lawrenceburg  that Indiana law and county code require a fence around any pool unless its cover meets certain specifications, including being able to support a 400-pound weight. It is unclear whether the above-ground pool's cover met those specifications or whether the yard was fenced.

The twins' parents, Brad and Breanna Spurlock, had reported the girls missing about the same time emergency crews came to the neighborhood, Van Winkle said.

A grandmother was watching the girls for about an hour while their parents picked up some recently purchased furniture but had fallen asleep, according to the mother's 911 call.

"I've been to a lot of scenes like that, and I've been to the hospital. I haven't seen that much family at the hospital in my career. They're just absolutely devastated," Detective Barry Bridges told WLWT-TV.




Replies:
Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:27am
This is why I'm picky about who watches my daughter. It even took me a long time to trust my dad with her by himself. He hasn't been around babies in a while, but it's been 3 months and he is back in the swing of things. I often let him take her when I need a break. I totally trust my dad because he's responsible and he doesn't just fall asleep like that when he's got to watch her.

This is such a sad story, both of them dead. I wonder if the girls were sleeping and then grandma decided to take a nap too and the girls woke up and wandered off. wonder if she left doors unlocked or open and that's how they got out. feel like the little girls were curious though and would have eventually made it over to the pool if not that day, then another day.


Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:39am
Terrible to hear. My heart goes out to the family, grandmother included.


Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:35am
Sad story for all involved.
Poor Granny, she must feel awful.


Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:38am
i dont see how a family recovers from this...this is terrible


Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:29am
Soooo many questions ..


Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Terrible to hear. My heart goes out to the family, grandmother included.
and the home owners and first responders


Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:36am
This is sad. But also very suspicious...


Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:43am
So grandma couldn't stay awake for an hour

I would definitely feel some type of way if they were my babies.


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:21am
did the neighbors say why the firemen were there to begin with?


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:30am
So sad.


Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:45am

This is sad on so many levels



Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:53am
Sad, somebody is lying.


Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:54am
Yeah I wonder did they even question the grandmother. Are they going to just let this slide even though it was her job to be supervising them?


Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:58am
Oh my goodness, maybe Granny has a condition or takes medication that caused her to go to sleep. Those babies were on a mission, I wonder if that particular neighbor has a pet that they normally play with and they went looking for it.


Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:20am
Very sad! I can't fathom how they were able to get out of the house.


Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:21am
@herwoman i think they said the neighbors were out of town when it happened.

My first side eye, when you're outta town, aren't you sure to make sure your home is secured? More so than making a simple store run?

If granny wasn't in a state to watch the kids, parents shouldn't have let her watch them. Anyone with kids or anyone who's babysat enough knows it takes .2 seconds for a child to get into something they have no business getting in to.

I side-eyed the fact that it was unclear whether or not there was a fence around the pool. A fence is nothing to overlook. Either there was or wasn't, no gray area. Are they prolonging it to try and give the homeowners an opportunity to install a fence?

They were in her care for an hour. Did the kids get dropped off while granny was already sleep?

And getting into a neighbors pool is something that I imagine mischievous teenagers hopping a fence to do, not two 2 y.o. toddlers. Are there no partitions between the yards where anyone walking behind the houses can easily gain access to the neighbors pool? Were there stairs?

Wouldn't accidental drowning mimic a situation where sayyy someone lured them to get something from in the pool or told them to go swimming?

There are too many holes. Maybe they should investigate as if the parents were black.

Furthermore, this is not an accident this is blatant neglect.








Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:41am
^^The reason I wondered if they usually play with a pet is because it's been cold outside for a long time I doubt they were thinking let's just go jump in the pool unless of course like you said there is no fence and the pool is visible from the front of the house. Secondly, granny has to be sick because kids even when they are trying to be sneaky are loud unless granny actually went to bed instead of dozing off on the couch. I have questions galore like did the kids have on a jacket? Shoes? Was granny planning to take them outside fell asleep and forgot?


Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by herwoman herwoman wrote:

^^The reason I wondered if they usually play with a pet is because it's been cold outside for a long time I doubt they were thinking let's just go jump in the pool unless of course like you said there is no fence and the pool is visible from the front of the house. Secondly, granny has to be sick because kids even when they are trying to be sneaky are loud unless granny actually went to bed instead of dozing off on the couch. I have questions galore like did the kids have on a jacket? Shoes? Was granny planning to take them outside fell asleep and forgot?


I soooooo misread your question. For some reason, I thought you meant the neighbors went looking for their own pet and could have accidentally left the gate open when the toddlers entered. I see what you mean now.


Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:58am
This reminds me of a situation where my friend "expected" me to watch her son at the park. He wandered off to the entire other side of the park and she was mad like "weren't you watching him?". 

That's why I righteously don't like watching kids under 4. Sometimes parents will be so eager for you to watch their kids, especially for free, they don't even take the necessary precautions to make sure their own kids are safe. How do two two year olds unlock a door and wander off out of a house? 

I'm side eyeing the whole story. The gma and the parents. 

I feel sorry for the homeowners as well. Don't nobody want these problems all because the kids' family did not properly watch them.


Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:10am
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

I feel sorry for the homeowners as well. Don't nobody want these problems all because the kids' family did not properly watch them.



thissss mannnn I feel so bad for the homeowners.

Especially if they don't have kids of their own. Of course the pool wouldn't be child proof if they don't have any children.

This will probably stick with them for life.

Very sad situation. Those poor babies man.
Nobody is perfect but people need to start making better decisions.


   


Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

This reminds me of a situation where my friend "expected" me to watch her son at the park. He wandered off to the entire other side of the park and she was mad like "weren't you watching him?". 

That's why I righteously don't like watching kids under 4. Sometimes parents will be so eager for you to watch their kids, especially for free, they don't even take the necessary precautions to make sure their own kids are safe. How do two two year olds unlock a door and wander off out of a house? 

I'm side eyeing the whole story. The gma and the parents. 

I feel sorry for the homeowners as well. Don't nobody want these problems all because the kids' family did not properly watch them.
 
 
It's possible.  When my cousin was 2 he unlocked our apartment door one day and went wandering the streets.  Came back like not a damned thing happened.Ermm  "Where were you?  Outside.  Little negro you ain't SUPPOSED to be outside."
 
Needless to say, we watched his little behind like a hawk from then on.


Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:27am
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

I feel sorry for the homeowners as well. Don't nobody want these problems all because the kids' family did not properly watch them.



thissss mannnn I feel so bad for the homeowners.

Especially if they don't have kids of their own. Of course the pool wouldn't be child proof if they don't have any children.

This will probably stick with them for life.

Very sad situation. Those poor babies man.
Nobody is perfect but people need to start making better decisions.


   
 
 
Yes.  I don't like how most of the "what they should have done" seems to be placed on the homeowners.


Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:35am
this is so sad on so many levels.


Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:36am
Originally posted by whosbotheringme whosbotheringme wrote:

Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

This reminds me of a situation where my friend "expected" me to watch her son at the park. He wandered off to the entire other side of the park and she was mad like "weren't you watching him?". 

That's why I righteously don't like watching kids under 4. Sometimes parents will be so eager for you to watch their kids, especially for free, they don't even take the necessary precautions to make sure their own kids are safe. How do two two year olds unlock a door and wander off out of a house? 

I'm side eyeing the whole story. The gma and the parents. 

I feel sorry for the homeowners as well. Don't nobody want these problems all because the kids' family did not properly watch them.
 
 
It's possible.  When my cousin was 2 he unlocked our apartment door one day and went wandering the streets.  Came back like not a damned thing happened.Ermm  "Where were you?  Outside.  Little negro you ain't SUPPOSED to be outside."
 
Needless to say, we watched his little behind like a hawk from then on.
Dead I can't, my 3 year old cousin was unlocking doors, but not at two. 

It's completely unfair that any form of blame be placed on the home owners, I don't feel like it's my job to pay for additional ANYTHING to baby proof my house when I dont have babies. 
I wonder if the parents will attempt to sue the homeowners....


Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:41am
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

Dead I can't, my 3 year old cousin was unlocking doors, but not at two. 

It's completely unfair that any form of blame be placed on the home owners, I don't feel like it's my job to pay for additional ANYTHING to baby proof my house when I dont have babies. 
I wonder if the parents will attempt to sue the homeowners....
 
 
LOLThat boy was crazy.  And smart.  And big for his age.  This was a long time ago but it's still funny and scary to me at the same time.  I was a kid myself.
 
Yeah.  I believe the bold too.  But the homeowners will probably be held more liable than the family unfortunately.
 
Everyone in this situation must be devastated.  This is such a sad story.Cry
 
 
 


Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:52am
Its extremely sad loss for the family.  I really don't see the point in blaming anyone for this.  I can only imagine the Grandmother is probably prone to taking naps every 30 minutes.  I have a grandmother and when I was young, she used to take naps on the hour and because of this reason, i could never imagine leaving a child under 12 years old with anyone of my grandmothers age (55 and up).
As for the homeowners, they shouldn't be at fault for the babies unless the yard wasn't properly secured from outside intrusion (ex. a fense around the property was down).   If a neighbor have a pool or Jacuzzi tub and plan on using it that day, how can they be at fault for it being uncovered or not properly covered?


Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:53am
I can't imagine... Cry


Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 10:16am
Not everyone has kids, but I'm sure most of us live in neighborhoods with lowered speed limits. You're expected to oblige whether you have children or not, it's a precautionary measure.

Same with homeowners. There is a level of responsibility you have as a homeowner to comply with city standards. There are regulations in place for specific reasons.

Say the babies were able to access the pool on their own. The fact that the neighbors, neighbor-firefighter, onlookers etc were able to see what was inside the pool from their yard is telling of how secure the pool was...what barricade is there to separate your pool from the neighborhood? Is the community pool in your front yard?

Of course the children should've been supervised, that would've prevented all of this from happening. But as a homeowner, if your home isn't compliant and an accident like this happens you will automatically be involved and the safety of your house will be questioned. If your bases are covered then you have nothing to worry about.


Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:01am
Sad situation but when you have kids can't leave every time you have something to do.


Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:11am
*waits for it* Evil Smile


Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:44am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

this is so sad on so many levels.


Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by whosbotheringme whosbotheringme wrote:

Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

Dead I can't, my 3 year old cousin was unlocking doors, but not at two. 

It's completely unfair that any form of blame be placed on the home owners, I don't feel like it's my job to pay for additional ANYTHING to baby proof my house when I dont have babies. 
I wonder if the parents will attempt to sue the homeowners....
 
 
LOLThat boy was crazy.  And smart.  And big for his age.  This was a long time ago but it's still funny and scary to me at the same time.  I was a kid myself.
 
Yeah.  I believe the bold too.  But the homeowners will probably be held more liable than the family unfortunately.
 
Everyone in this situation must be devastated.  This is such a sad story.Cry
 


The homeowners are liable if they didn't have the pool secured in some fashion.  Many areas have specific laws that require pool owners to have fences and/or some type of restricted access because pools are kid magnets plain and simple.  Drownings are in the top 5 causes of deaths for kids. 

It looks like a tragic event that was a result of many lapses of judgement for all the adults involved.  Maybe the back door was left unlocked...maybe grandma had a cold and took some cough meds that made her drowsy....maybe the pool owners left the gate open...its so sad that those kids died.
Broken Heart



Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Originally posted by whosbotheringme whosbotheringme wrote:

Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

Dead I can't, my 3 year old cousin was unlocking doors, but not at two. 

It's completely unfair that any form of blame be placed on the home owners, I don't feel like it's my job to pay for additional ANYTHING to baby proof my house when I dont have babies. 
I wonder if the parents will attempt to sue the homeowners....
 
 
LOLThat boy was crazy.  And smart.  And big for his age.  This was a long time ago but it's still funny and scary to me at the same time.  I was a kid myself.
 
Yeah.  I believe the bold too.  But the homeowners will probably be held more liable than the family unfortunately.
 
Everyone in this situation must be devastated.  This is such a sad story.Cry
 


The homeowners are liable if they didn't have the pool secured in some fashion.  Many areas have specific laws that require pool owners to have fences and/or some type of restricted access because pools are kid magnets plain and simple.  Drownings are in the top 5 causes of deaths for kids. 

It looks like a tragic event that was a result of many lapses of judgement for all the adults involved.  Maybe the back door was left unlocked...maybe grandma had a cold and took some cough meds that made her drowsy....maybe the pool owners left the gate open...its so sad that those kids died.
Broken Heart

 
I know the homeowners are liable if they didn't have what is deemed proper security.  Even if they did have security they can still be liable.  That's why in my post I said: But the homeowners will probably be held more liable than the family unfortunately.
 
It's the way things work.  I just don't think it's alway fair.  It's just tragic that those two little girls had to die that way.Cry


Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 12:15pm
They had a pool cover, which is all Indiana requires if they didn't have a fence.  From the article, it seems like they'll investigate whether the pool cover met all the requirements set up by the state.  It'd suck if the home owners were still held liable if they were following all the required safety protocols. 


Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 12:57pm
It's very sad that this happened. All children "explore".  I've watched my daughter when she was about 3yrs old unlock the door. So I added a lock with the chain.  Well that didn't stop her, she placed a chair up against the door and unlatched that too one evening. After I whipped her azz, I went and got a deadbolt lock which needed a key for inside and out.  But that was a fire hazard.  My point is this is one of them sad, "freak accidents".  I don't believe the homeowners should be blamed or held accountable.  And gma probably watched those babies every day since they were born.


Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

*waits for it* Evil Smile

been waiting this whole damn time, it will never comeCryCryCryCry


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:32pm
Her old ass needs to be in jail....that's ridiculous....I'd be so angry at my mom if my babies drown while I was on my honeymoon....she prolly volunteered to baby sit too...


Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

Not everyone has kids, but I'm sure most of us live in neighborhoods with lowered speed limits. You're expected to oblige whether you have children or not, it's a precautionary measure.

Same with homeowners. There is a level of responsibility you have as a homeowner to comply with city standards. There are regulations in place for specific reasons.

Say the babies were able to access the pool on their own. The fact that the neighbors, neighbor-firefighter, onlookers etc were able to see what was inside the pool from their yard is telling of how secure the pool was...what barricade is there to separate your pool from the neighborhood? Is the community pool in your front yard?

Of course the children should've been supervised, that would've prevented all of this from happening. But as a homeowner, if your home isn't compliant and an accident like this happens you will automatically be involved and the safety of your house will be questioned. If your bases are covered then you have nothing to worry about.
 
What if the homeowners were cleaning their pool to get it ready for use and they had to lift the cover off, would you still believe they should be held liable?


Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:39pm
I wouldn't have left granny with children that young.


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:43pm
OhMyCurlz:


So youre saying you were there and actually watched a small child just wonder off.....I'd be mad too....


If Im with a friend I am always mindful of where their kids are....because if something happened to that child and I could have prevented it I wouldn't forgive myself....At some point you have to think about whats best for the helpless kids....not...."I don't watch kids under 4"


Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Her old ass needs to be in jail....that's ridiculous....I'd be so angry at my mom if my babies drown while I was on my honeymoon....she prolly volunteered to baby sit too...

thanks sandy! the article state they were gone for an hour.

What if she never volunteered to watch them but they went to run errands and kinda sorta gave her the responsibility?

Serious ?: OP these kids died but with the black lady/job interview kids in car they didn't, any reason you weren't so ______ towards grandma and/or the parents? 

Tongue in cheek: The parents should have used BC if they couldn't find (or afford) a suitable person to watch their kids. The grandparents (both sets) should have used BC too, so these ______ parents would have never been born.

I see storm water collected on the top of the pool coverCryCryCryCryCry


Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:59pm
so sad..


this is the pool shown in news articles
http://media2.wcpo.com/photo/2014/04/09/Pool2_1397046212087_4030423_ver1.0_640_480.jpg





Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:59pm
also, 2 year old twin black girls drowned in FL a few days ago .
Cry




Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:00pm
Technically those parents were responsible....they provided everything necessary for the children....food roof etc....even a two parent home....so to say they shouldn't have any children because the grandmother was babysitting (which in most cases is ideal) while they were honeymooning....this is really carelessness.....and its also isn't a color issue....



Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:04pm
Im quite sure Grandma feels bad enough, older people need their rest and should not have been left to care for two active toddlers.


Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:06pm
geez the cover is secure on the pool. The water in the pic looks like storm water over the cover and it looks deep. So sad!


Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

so sad..


this is the pool shown in news articles
http://media2.wcpo.com/photo/2014/04/09/Pool2_1397046212087_4030423_ver1.0_640_480.jpg




Raatid!!!! thats a lot of water on top. It looks like a tank, we get a few child drowning and attempted savings subsequent drownings yearly from those too.Cry No one is charged though.

Sandy im not pointing to a colour issue but starf mentioned that the outrage is different where the child dies vs being found unharmed

wait another set of twins and water?!CryCry

those small people move really quickly in a flash they're gone, my neighbour's kid (2y-o at the time) was 5 houses down the road when my brother's friend picked him up (he was driving to visit us), they never even  realised he was missing


Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:12pm
This is just tragic


Posted By: swweet*suga
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:14pm
awww wow so sad.


Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:15pm
those pool covers can be dangerous for a lot of reasons. But for rain water, they needed a cover pump or a mesh cover so rain water could drain off.




Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:16pm
Ripbabies

Yes, two year olds can open locks.... we recently put a lock that requires more manipulation and about Ann inch from top of door. Lil bee was getting chairs and unlocking doors. We had a chain lock and she got her brothers drum stick and hit at it until it moved enough for her open the door. I hide and watched her.

Once my mom put my son to sleep and then laid beside him and she fell asleep. Well he woke up and apparently slide down the other side of the bed. She had a long size bed. He wondered through the house, pulled all her papers onto the floor in jet office, dumped all the washing powder onto the floor, etc...my mom never heard him. He scared her when he touched her arm to say he was thirsty. She was like thank God he tore up stuff in the house and Mont go for the front door because she leaves on as busy residential street.



Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:17pm
Eta.. mom has king size bed.


Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:20pm
both of these stories are heartbreaking


Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:07pm
yes .
I wish I hadn't listened to that 911 call for the FL twins. Cry The caller, the one who found them  (not related) was crying uncontrollably


Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

so sad..

this is the pool shown in news articles
http://media2.wcpo.com/photo/2014/04/09/Pool2_1397046212087_4030423_ver1.0_640_480.jpg


Unless theres a mesh that isn't very visible, that railing won't stop a kid from climbing over or thru it.  Also there isn't a fence in the surrounding area either that I can tell...too dangerously easy access...


Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

OhMyCurlz:


So youre saying you were there and actually watched a small child just wonder off.....I'd be mad too....


If Im with a friend I am always mindful of where their kids are....because if something happened to that child and I could have prevented it I wouldn't forgive myself....At some point you have to think about whats best for the helpless kids....not...."I don't watch kids under 4"
....no...I don't think anybody would stand and watch a small child just....wonder off. Confused

I would have watched him had I known that she wasn't. She was standing right in front of him. She later walked off. There was no legitimate reason as to why she had to walk off, she just did. When you want someone to do you the courtesy of watching a child that they did not give birth to, you could at the very least ask or verbalize the fact that you are going to walk off so that said person knows that they should watch your child. She didn't do that. Some people who have children have a nasty habit of taking advantage of friends/family in that regard, at times she is apart of that ilk.

You dont get them luxuries of walking off when you have a child known to be disobedient. 

I don't watch kids under four with behavioral problems; that's my new rule since that little incident. I just dont. Im not accustomed to that sheit. Back in the day when my momma said don't walk off, don't open this door, etc...I didn't do it. I'm not about to deal with me taking a 5 minute piss break only to find a 3 year old pushed a chair up to the fridge and drank the whole pitcher of koolaide. Nope. 

Aiden aint helpless. 


Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Her old ass needs to be in jail....that's ridiculous....I'd be so angry at my mom if my babies drown while I was on my honeymoon....she prolly volunteered to baby sit too...

thanks sandy! the article state they were gone for an hour.

What if she never volunteered to watch them but they went to run errands and kinda sorta gave her the responsibility?

Serious ?: OP these kids died but with the black lady/job interview kids in car they didn't, any reason you weren't so ______ towards grandma and/or the parents? 

Tongue in cheek: The parents should have used BC if they couldn't find (or afford) a suitable person to watch their kids. The grandparents (both sets) should have used BC too, so these ______ parents would have never been born.

I see storm water collected on the top of the pool coverCryCryCryCryCry
This. 




Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:57pm
If I had a pool, I wouldn't want anyone wandering into it. Installing a fence is a must.


Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:58pm
charge tge grandma with neglegence


Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:34pm
The guilt will be to much to bear, grandma is going to be in the news soon...


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

I feel sorry for the homeowners as well. Don't nobody want these problems all because the kids' family did not properly watch them.



thissss mannnn I feel so bad for the homeowners.

Especially if they don't have kids of their own. Of course the pool wouldn't be child proof if they don't have any children.

This will probably stick with them for life.

Very sad situation. Those poor babies man.
Nobody is perfect but people need to start making better decisions.


   




I was wondering about this.  can they be blamed? Because it seems like that's the way it's headed.


Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:16pm
I wonder if the homeowners will be sued.


Posted By: ChubbyYeti
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by tropical-punch tropical-punch wrote:

If I had a pool, I wouldn't want anyone wandering into it. Installing a fence is a must.


Not all neighborhoods allow fences (something I was surprised to hear). My husband grew up in a nice suburban neighborhood and there were no fences separating the yards (the city think they look tacky). I don't know how they handle pools.



Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 10:04pm
@Chubby the communities you are speaking of wouldn't even allow that tacky ass pool


Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 10:21pm
I don't agree with all this condemnation of grandmothers...my MIL watched my kids alot when they were small.  I feel a door was accidentally left unlocked or open, and the kids walked.  That family will live with the pain for years Cry


Posted By: foxyroy19
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:52pm
If not a fence a pool cover...


Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:20am
RIP to those babies...but...

It seems like this article went in harder on the homeowners who didn't childproof their pool for children they weren't even expecting, than the parents and grandmother for not childproofing their house well enough for children not to escape.

Those children shouldn't have even been left unattended long enough to escape the house, let alone end up in someone else's yard.

I hope the parents accept that this was a freak accident, and don't point fingers...well maybe a few at Nana, but I'mma leave that alone for now.


Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:23am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Her old ass needs to be in jail....that's ridiculous....I'd be so angry at my mom if my babies drown while I was on my honeymoon....she prolly volunteered to baby sit too...


Terrible situation, can't imagine how both grandmother and parents must feel. I thought the
Article said the parents were gone for about an hour picking up furniture they had recently purchased?


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:58am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

I don't agree with all this condemnation of grandmothers...my MIL watched my kids alot when they were small.  I feel a door was accidentally left unlocked or open, and the kids walked.  That family will live with the pain for years Cry


I also think it's weird people are assuming she's geriatric when she could easily be in her 40s.

Other than a mother I honestly can't think of a better person to care for a child than a granny.


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 6:33am
TBH its not the homeowners job to add all of these bells and whistles on a pool on their property....its not their children that died....if they even have any.....Granny dropped the ball.....


Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

I don't agree with all this condemnation of grandmothers...my MIL watched my kids alot when they were small.  I feel a door was accidentally left unlocked or open, and the kids walked.  That family will live with the pain for years Cry


But that's so unacceptable. Yes, the door could've been left open. But as a caretaker, it is your prime responsibility to make sure the children are safe and that didn't happen. Children will wander, children will put things in their mouths, children will be....well, children. Toddlers are not capable of watching themselves and when something easily preventable happens to children who are in the care of the adult, it is automatically the adults fault.

This is not a couple of knee scrapes, two babies are dead because they were unsupervised.


Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Ds2nice Ds2nice wrote:

Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

Not everyone has kids, but I'm sure most of us live in neighborhoods with lowered speed limits. You're expected to oblige whether you have children or not, it's a precautionary measure.

Same with homeowners. There is a level of responsibility you have as a homeowner to comply with city standards. There are regulations in place for specific reasons.

Say the babies were able to access the pool on their own. The fact that the neighbors, neighbor-firefighter, onlookers etc were able to see what was inside the pool from their yard is telling of how secure the pool was...what barricade is there to separate your pool from the neighborhood? Is the community pool in your front yard?

Of course the children should've been supervised, that would've prevented all of this from happening. But as a homeowner, if your home isn't compliant and an accident like this happens you will automatically be involved and the safety of your house will be questioned. If your bases are covered then you have nothing to worry about.

 
What if the homeowners were cleaning their pool to get it ready for use and they had to lift the cover off, would you still believe they should be held liable?


They should not be held liable for the deaths, they should be held liable for non-compliance if their pool was not up to par with city standards. We could go on all day with the technicalities. My point: they weren't the caretakers, so they shouldn't be held responsible for their deaths. However, because the deaths occurred on their property, they will automatically be involved.


Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:28am
I need to know why Granny was so tired from watching the kids for an hour.


Posted By: smartgirl88
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:19am
Its just a bad situation all around, we don't know if granny was on meds that made her sleepy or if she was just tired and is a deep sleeper. In my opinion it really doesn't matter because two children are gone regardless of the details. I hope their family finds strength during this time.


Posted By: P31chick
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:58pm

Door/Window Alarms are sooooooo necessary.  I have heard too many stories of children wandering off and out of their homes, into nearby places of business, busy fareways etc.  Most parents dont realize how much ability a two year old has to get out of the home so they dont feel like the supervision needs to be as persistent.  Even a trip to the restroom to pee, and leaving your toddler unattended is enough time for them to slip out of the safety of your home. 



Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 6:30pm
I feel for the parents, I know this can destroy a marriage. 


Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:15pm
sad


Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by ChubbyYeti ChubbyYeti wrote:

Originally posted by tropical-punch tropical-punch wrote:

If I had a pool, I wouldn't want anyone wandering into it. Installing a fence is a must.


Not all neighborhoods allow fences (something I was surprised to hear). My husband grew up in a nice suburban neighborhood and there were no fences separating the yards (the city think they look tacky). I don't know how they handle pools.

You shouldn't have a pool if you can't have a fence.


Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

Originally posted by Ds2nice Ds2nice wrote:

Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

Not everyone has kids, but I'm sure most of us live in neighborhoods with lowered speed limits. You're expected to oblige whether you have children or not, it's a precautionary measure.

Same with homeowners. There is a level of responsibility you have as a homeowner to comply with city standards. There are regulations in place for specific reasons.

Say the babies were able to access the pool on their own. The fact that the neighbors, neighbor-firefighter, onlookers etc were able to see what was inside the pool from their yard is telling of how secure the pool was...what barricade is there to separate your pool from the neighborhood? Is the community pool in your front yard?

Of course the children should've been supervised, that would've prevented all of this from happening. But as a homeowner, if your home isn't compliant and an accident like this happens you will automatically be involved and the safety of your house will be questioned. If your bases are covered then you have nothing to worry about.

 
What if the homeowners were cleaning their pool to get it ready for use and they had to lift the cover off, would you still believe they should be held liable?


They should not be held liable for the deaths, they should be held liable for non-compliance if their pool was not up to par with city standards. We could go on all day with the technicalities. My point: they weren't the caretakers, so they shouldn't be held responsible for their deaths. However, because the deaths occurred on their property, they will automatically be involved.


Ok, I got your point.


Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:17am
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

yes .
I wish I hadn't listened to that 911 call for the FL twins. Cry The caller, the one who found them  (not related) was crying uncontrollably


Me too, Purp. I heart ached a bit and I got a knot in my stomach.



Print Page | Close Window