Print Page | Close Window

Neil DeGrasse Tyson, historical inaccuracy

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369865
Printed Date: Dec 11 2017 at 6:13am

Topic: Neil DeGrasse Tyson, historical inaccuracy
Posted By: iliveforbhm
Subject: Neil DeGrasse Tyson, historical inaccuracy
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 7:52am
Cosmos-Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-1900x1200-600x378.jpg

Tyson is making history with every word he writes and speaks. However, he falls short when it comes to delivering historical information on his series. The narrative driving “Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey” is presented from a Western, Euro-centric perspective. Some statements made on the show are historically inaccurate. Other statements clearly place importance on European contributions to science while excluding discoveries made by other cultures. Racial and cultural inclusion within science history would make the information he provides on “Cosmos” accurate and empowering to all.

The Ancient Egyptians Studied The Stars 5000 Years Before Europeans

pyramidsnight.png

Tyson tells the audience that the cosmic perspective is a relatively modern phenomena. He says, “This cosmic perspective is relatively new, a mere 4 centuries ago our tiny world was oblivious to the cosmos, there were no telescopes the universe was only what you can see with the naked eye.”

This statement is not correct. Not only did the Ancient Egyptians have a grasp on the cosmic perspective more than 5,000 years before European scientists, but astronomy was an integral part of Ancient Egyptian society. Astronomers and architects worked together to construct temples, pyramids and monuments in alignment with cardinal points within the stars. For instance, the Great Pyramids have air shafts facing south that point to the star Sirius, marking the start of the Egyptian year. Orion, which represents death and rebirth, is also a focal point.

Denedrazod.jpg

The Mysteries of Nature Were Decoded Before Modern Astronomy

Tyson attempts to put the age of the universe into perspective by using one Earth calendar year. He draws parallels between the last 40,000 years of human history and the last 60 seconds of the last hour on the last day of the calendar year. He then says, “Moses was born 7 seconds ago. Buddha, 6 seconds ago. Jesus, 5 seconds ago. Mohammed, 4 seconds ago. It was not even 2 seconds ago that, for better or worse, the two halves of the earth discovered each other. It was only in the last second we used science to unlock and reveal nature and her laws.”

Their discoveries occurred before the birth of Moses. The Stone Circles found in Nabta Playa serve as physical evidence of a 365- day calendar created by Egyptian astronomers. These early scientists were well-versed in observing stellar events such as the conjunctions, phases and risings of the Sun, Moon and planets.

Using science to understand nature even predates the modern religions that presently object to its findings. Ancient Egyptians incorporated what we now call science into almost every facet of their civilization. For instance, astronomy was instrumental in mapping time to understand cyclical changes in nature and improve agricultural planning. The Stone Circle found in Nabta Playa was originally created to assist farmers by predicting Nile river flooding. Ancient civilizations in China and India used astronomy to predict climate and seasonal changes as well.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/04/09/5-neil-degrasse-tyson-quotes-cosmos-get-side-eye/3/" rel="nofollow - http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/04/09/5-neil-degrasse-tyson-quotes-cosmos-get-side-eye/3/

Replies:
Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 8:09am
ooh lawd, here come the modern day kemetians

*sarcasm*

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 8:25am
The Mr. And I watched all four episodes of the series on the weekend and we were side eyeing some of the ideas and concepts this show promotes.

It's like deadly theatre.

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

The Mr. And I watched all four episodes of the series on the weekend and we were side eyeing some of the ideas and concepts this show promotes.

I researched a lot about the Khemu people and they knew quite a lot more then we give them credit, they had much more advanced mathematics higher than geometry. And he needs to give the Dogon their tributes to a lot of discoveries as well. Africans had very advance cosmologists who knew the cosmos better then most until very recent history.

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 8:43am
Other cultures were more advanced than the Europeans, I guess he would get Into trouble if he said that. He should have taken this show to pbs so he could speak the truth.

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 8:46am
This guys gave me strong coon vibes.

Posted By: Cocoa
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 9:01am
I really enjoyed the series but was surprised at a few things:
He stated some weakly supported theories as fact.  
As stated in the article, his focus on western 'discoveries' only
He was shoving Atheism down the viewers throats in the 2nd or 3rd episode....(keep religion out of it dude)

Given who he is, I just expected more I guess...Still a fan though...

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Cocoa Cocoa wrote:

He was shoving Atheism down the viewers throats in the 2nd or 3rd episode....(keep religion out of it dude)

And this is the man that said he is agnostic, you might want to put some critical thinking but not out right atheism that's preaching. This is obiviously has a strong agenda besides teaching astrophysics to the viewers.

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Yup. Those were my thoughts as well.

Originally posted by indiecat indiecat wrote:

Other cultures were more advanced than the Europeans, I guess he would get Into trouble if he said that. He should have taken this show to pbs so he could speak the truth.

I know they are trying to make the show popular with the masses, but it is heavily centered around European contributions. The whole time I'm watching I'm thinking about how the Europeans stole this information from other cultures. Especially when he talked about the first printing press and books. Much of the information was stolen from Timbuktu and the libraries burned.

*Sigh* I know the show wouldn't be popular if didn't give homage to almighty anglo's

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 9:55am
Timbiktu has millions of scrolls safe and hidden. They hidden where no man can find them until everything settle, so who knows how much knowledge is sealed away. Smh.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:02am
I like him and the show. I usually find myself looking things up afterwards but i dont mind it. How was he pushing atheism ?

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

I like him and the show. I usually find myself looking things up afterwards but i dont mind it. How was he pushing atheism ?

I guess cuz he didn't say God created the Universe only six thousand years ago its [pushing]  Atheism, lolLOL

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:18am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

And this is the man that said he is agnostic, you might want to put some critical thinking but not out right atheism that's preaching. This is obiviously has a strong agenda besides teaching astrophysics to the viewers.

Um...atheism IS keeping religion out of the discussion.  That's the very definition of atheism...

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:20am
Awwww shyt....Tok the Rose is heeeeeere.

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:22am

In the second episode he mentions Creationism vs. science several times and how the idea of 'intelligent design' doesn't make sense from a scientific standpoint.  I don't think this was necessary at all.  

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:26am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

Um...atheism IS keeping religion out of the discussion.  That's the very definition of atheism...

I agree so he did not need to bring up religion and religious beliefs. 
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

I guess cuz he didn't say God created the Universe only six thousand years ago its [pushing]  Atheism, lolLOL

He did not need to say this.  Just state the facts and keep it moving.

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:28am
He talks about the weaknesses of the main arguments asserted by proponents of intelligent design.  These are the ideas that they want to teach students as an alternative to evolution.  I think it's valid that he's poking holes in some of the arguments of intelligent design. 

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:38am

In the second episode he mentions Creationism vs. science several times and how the idea of 'intelligent design' doesn't make sense from a scientific standpoint.  I don't think this was necessary at all.  

Well, creationism is generally not accepted in the scientific community in general because the very premise by which it is presented is not scientifically sound.  Creationism and intelligent design are virtually the ONLY two theories by which you can reverse the scientific process in order to "prove" the theory.  If you were to use scientific theory correctly, the idea of intelligent design is inconclusive because there isn't enough proof to support it.  Unlike the theory of gravity--where plenty of proof or evidence does exist for it. 

While this list is almost 10 years old, it shows that most organizations do not accept creationism as science. http:// www.aclu.org/religion-belief/what-scientific-community-says-about-evolution-and-intelligent-design" rel="nofollow -  https://www.aclu.org/religion-belief/what-scientific-community-says-about-evolution-and-intelligent-design

Internationally, it is simply not accepted in the scientific organizations of most countries.  So the non-acceptance of creationism/intelligent-design is not necessarily Europe-oriented, even though the history may be.  

I also would want clarification on what he meant by Egyptian and European studies of the stars.  Are we talking about actual knowledge of balls of gas, debris and light--> stars or astrology.  What exactly is the knowledge he is referring to and in what context was he shaping the discussion?  I have not watched the show, so I have no idea.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:49am
Saying how its flawed reasoning via scientific standard not supporting it isnt pushing atheism imo.

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:59am
The show is just full of propaganda.
I don't really care if he is pushing atheism, it's not going to stop me from believing in intelligent design.

Maybe he should get familiar with Max Planck

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:05am
On a side note. The Kansas state legislature is proposing a bill to ban the show from its airwaves if Fox does not create an alternative show promoting creationism. Dead serious!

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:06am
Well that's just stupid.

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:12am

You know what I mean Sleepy

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:15am
Wasn't creationism deaded a few weeks ago by the proving that the big bang did actually happen? And now we can detect gravity particles.

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:23am
It's not completely dead.  The model that was presented last month is actually the natural, scientific way a theory is supposed to work.  It is simply new evidence added to support the theory.  Now it is the best evidence we have for how it was created.  It indirectly shows, though, how crappy the theory of intelligent design really is.  Just looking at the model, it is not actual science.  At best it is a philosophy, which is why it should not be taught alongside evolution in schools.

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:34am

It's not completely dead.  The model that was presented last month is actually the natural, scientific way a theory is supposed to work.  It is simply new evidence added to support the theory.  Now it is the best evidence we have for how it was created.  It indirectly shows, though, how crappy the theory of intelligent design really is.  Just looking at the model, it is not actual science.  At best it is a philosophy, which is why it should not be taught alongside evolution in schools.

I agree....

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 12:20pm
I Hated it. The script they gave him was poorly thought out and all over the place.

Through the wormhole with Morgan Freeman is infinitely better.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 12:35pm
ID proponents will continue to be ID proponents but this show isn't to convert them. It's to inspire the common person to start thinking about science, and how culture ties into it. That's why modern cultural explanations for phenomena are contrasted with previous cultural explanations.

As a science presentation, it's very basic from an explanation standpoint - there are a ton of other documentaries out that are better for explanation - but the production value really illustrates the beauty of the universe and that will hopefully lead many of the viewers to googling about the people, theories, and subject matter presented.

But as usual on BHM, time to add to the coon list.

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 12:41pm
I tried to view the show the first night with my hubby and son…
I did last about 15min… it was late and when I have time I will view the series online or on vacation for spring break. I’m happy that he has a show and I like him.   
In his youth he was introduced to Carl Edward Sagan and was a big fan. I’m happy that my son can see a man that looks like a family member talking about American astrophysics. I guess it’s hard to have nice things within our community. Because it seems BHM is never happy … I guess Carl should have been replaced by a clear person…?????

ETA... astrophysics

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 1:35pm
No one is saying that, we just hope he would put other civilizations instead of Europe and their invovlement with studying the cosmos for more inspiration.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Awwww shyt....Tok the Rose is heeeeeere.
Heart

*kevin hart voice* you gone learn today!

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

ooh lawd, here come the modern day kemetians

*sarcasm*

so...coon?

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 2:15pm

No one is saying that, we just hope he would put other civilizations instead of Europe and their invovlement with studying the cosmos for more inspiration.

From my understanding he does not have control over writing...
Shot out to Dave Chappelle we love you… on BHM…

OK ... OP,

I need to do my gel nails and post... I'm on a Black Hair forum... with females. No Shade...

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by mommykat mommykat wrote:

From my understanding he does not have control over writing...
Shot out to Dave Chappelle we love you… on BHM…

OK ... OP,

I need to do my gel nails and post... I'm on a Black Hair forum... with females. No Shade...

Of course....sucks because they are really trying to control the information being sent out.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 12:19pm

They did a segment on Arab mathematicians and have also featured Mayan scientist and Chinese scientist and various other cultures. It ertainly hasn't been exclusively dead white men.  If the criticism is that the series isn't an exhaustive history of science, or that the definition of modern science is too narrow then fair enough, but as I mentioned a few pages ago it's also not exhaustive or complete on any one subject. 

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 5:53pm
Interesting...

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:18pm
unrelated

reclaimtheswastika:

Swastika pattern on the Baalbek Valley Of Lebanon. This temple dates back 9,000 years.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 7:01pm
he looks special...

Print Page | Close Window