Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369848
Printed Date: Nov 12 2018 at 8:36pm

Topic: So I big chopped...
Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Subject: So I big chopped...
Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 5:19pm
My hair was heat damaged and uneven and in a fit of exasperation 3 days ago, I took my scissors to it and went to town.

This is my first big chop (I transitioned slowly the first time around) and I'd like to know what the options are for a twa. I have an apt with a natural hair stylist tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to ask her (besides shaping up that mess I just made :(

I saw a woman in there doing something called shingling (looked like small twisted coils all over her head) and I might try that. What other options are there? Any cute design ideas?

Replies:
Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 5:30pm
What do you think of this for  a round face? Would this help balance it out? Do you think it can be done on 4b hair?

http://www.thankgodimnatural.com/how-to-rock-your-twa-natural-hair/twamodel/" rel="nofollow">twamodel

Right now, it looks more like an unkempt version of this but I'm not sure this goes with my round face
http://www.thankgodimnatural.com/how-to-rock-your-twa-natural-hair/tomiko_-0374-after-500x750/" rel="nofollow">Tomiko_-0374-After-500x750

Finger coils: How long do they last and how do you maintain?
http://www.thankgodimnatural.com/how-to-rock-your-twa-natural-hair/1362520387_124817119/" rel="nofollow">1362520387_124817119

Posted By: pinkecube
Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 5:39pm
yeah you can get her to do you a wash and go, finger coil, straw set. This seems like a good opportunity to get a really cool shape, like:

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

What do you think of this for  a round face? Would this help balance it out? Do you think it can be done on 4b hair?

http://www.thankgodimnatural.com/how-to-rock-your-twa-natural-hair/twamodel/" rel="nofollow">twamodel

Right now, it looks more like an unkempt version of this but I'm not sure this goes with my round face

Finger coils: How long do they last and how do you maintain?

I think for a round face, definetly you want more of a angular structured look to bring out the cheekbones. Round haircuts tend to work for ppl who already have angular bone structure. Fingercoils last a long time. The last time i did mine they lasted about 10 days.

When it comes to a hair cut, it will work on anyones hair type, as long as it is cut with the shrinkage being taken into factor.

What i would suggest is look at the mirror and kind of test what shape would flatter your face the most. You can just pin hair back to give a artificial haircut, and that way you can get a better idea of what the actual cut will look like once the scissors reach your hair. You can also ask the stylist to do that for you before she starts so you can pick.

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 5:57pm
OOhh, I love the styles you posted, pinkecube, especially the last one with the blond hair. It's edgy! I will print these out and bring it to the salon tomorrow. Thanks !

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 6:00pm
yeah, that last one is pretty striking, its my favorite. Ur welcome, glad i helped!

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 6:03pm
what do you moisturize your twa with?

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 6:05pm

Water, conditioner, then oil or botanical gel to seal. I currently do the max hydration method, if ur interested in trying it out anytime later on.

http://Forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937.html" rel="nofollow - http://Forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937.html

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Water, conditioner, then oil or botanical gel to seal.

What conditioner? You mix it in a water bottle?

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 6:18pm

On freshly washed wet hair i apply kinky curly knot today that has been watered down in an application bottle(but not so much that the slip goes away) then i seal with kinky curly curling custard.

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 6:26pm

On freshly washed wet hair i apply kinky curly knot today that has been watered down in an application bottle(but not so much that the slip goes away) then i seal with kinky curly curling custard.

Thanks. I have those. So you mix water, kinky curly knot today and oil in one bottle and spray it, and then seal with the custard? Is that it?

And what do you use when the hair is not freshly washed?

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 6:38pm

Thanks. I have those. So you mix water, kinky curly knot today and oil in one bottle and spray it, and then seal with the custard? Is that it?

And what do you use when the hair is not freshly washed?

I dont use oil in the mix, oil is just an alternative sealant to gel. When my hair is not freshly washed i am usually either on second day hair, or have washed it and am deep conditioning with that same conditioner mix and a shower cap and scarf on top when i go out. Btw, i dont respritz my hair or anything, since the moisture doesnt get into the cortex when you respritz anyway. Also when i did my fingercoils, i just wore a sleeping bonnet.

This is my regimen

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937.html

Posted By: nebhnebh
Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 7:00pm
Congrats on your big chop.  Don't forget about headbands and cute flower pins to switch up your new hair.

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 7:26pm
Thank you ladies! Much appreciated!

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 8:56pm
I love all the styles, especially the finger coils, but I have a question, no shade. Are you going to lay off the heat this time? I would see some of your posts on flat ironing and wince. But then again I'm what many people call a natural nazi, but I just don't see how that can be good for your hair.

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

I love all the styles, especially the finger coils, but I have a question, no shade. Are you going to lay off the heat this time? I would see some of your posts on flat ironing and wince. But then again I'm what many people call a natural nazi, but I just don't see how that can be good for your hair.

LOL, it's gonna be a while before I ever use heat again anyways, since I'ma try to get my length back.. I only did it once a year for length checks anyway. What happened was that last year, I had it straightened by someone who didn't know what she was doing. She used a marcel iron and singed my hair off. I could smell it burn. So I already had severe heat damage and my texture was altered. I should have big chopped last year but my hair was so long that I couldn't bring myself to do it :(

Well this year, I straightened again, and although I did everything right this time around, my already damaged hair couldn't take it. I had straightened successfully before those two occurrences though, so I know it can be done safely.. I've learned that my hair has to remain somewhat dirty, that I can't straighten bone straight and that I need to avoid the marcel iron at all costs. I guess you live and learn...

Posted By: 510QUEEN
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 1:38am
Congrats you got this

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 2:16am
Have fun, short hair is so easy you can just wash and go and it wil look great

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

Have fun, short hair is so easy you can just wash and go and it wil look great

Just came back from the natural hair salon. I cannot believe how defined they got my curls with just product! It's pretty amazing. I look like I have a texturizer on! Needless to say, I plan on buying everything they used. They did say there is a technique to it though, so I'm hoping to learn to do it right. Never knew a twa could come out looking like this.

I'm actually enjoying this short hair thing. I feel like my face has center stage now.

Date Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 3:59pm
And I always thought my texture was 4b/4c. Turns out I'm mostly 4a with some 3 c in the middle. Who knew...

Posted By: littlebabybug
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 11:08pm
i can speak on finger coils. I'm thinking about going back to those myself, actually. Finger coils lasted me usually about a week, provided i didn't have my hands on lock in my hair. If you don't touch them, and you tie them down at night (scarf) then they should last you probly up to a whole week, i'd imagine. They're a great low manip style and they are frizz-resistant on their own. and they complement just about everyone. you do them simply by taking some holding product and twirling the lock of hair around your finger til it forms a spiral. 

Posted By: KikiScorpio92
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 2:20am
Congratulations love. Once you get it shaped enjoy the ride of letting it grow out.
Seems like you have gotten a lot of good advice and you seem to know what styles you can do at a shorter length.
Flat twists are also good to give you hair a little more dimenson and options.
:)

Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by littlebabybug littlebabybug wrote:

i can speak on finger coils. I'm thinking about going back to those myself, actually. Finger coils lasted me usually about a week, provided i didn't have my hands on lock in my hair. If you don't touch them, and you tie them down at night (scarf) then they should last you probly up to a whole week, i'd imagine. They're a great low manip style and they are frizz-resistant on their own. and they complement just about everyone. you do them simply by taking some holding product and twirling the lock of hair around your finger til it forms a spiral. 

Did you moisturize during the week when you did your finger coils? If so, how did you do it without messing up the coils? I still haven't figured out how to do that. It can last me a week as well but only if I don't moisturize.

Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by KikiScorpio92 KikiScorpio92 wrote:

Congratulations love. Once you get it shaped enjoy the ride of letting it grow out.
Seems like you have gotten a lot of good advice and you seem to know what styles you can do at a shorter length.
Flat twists are also good to give you hair a little more dimenson and options.

My hair is too short for flat twists. I have a twa. My options are actually quite limited at the moment.

Posted By: KikiScorpio92
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 2:08pm
Sorry hun I misread your second post with the actual length you had. Finger coils are definitely your best bet right now, lock and twist gel with castor oil worked for me to keep them soft and defined. Wash and go's are great, it helps to have a good moisturing conditioner and depending on the climate you live in. You can also protective style with twists or braids once the hair picks up enough. Hope it goes well for you.

Print Page | Close Window