Print Page | Close Window

Spinoff Sorta: Friends and Race

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369791
Printed Date: Sep 26 2018 at 10:09am

Topic: Spinoff Sorta: Friends and Race
Posted By: OoDles O
Subject: Spinoff Sorta: Friends and Race
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:25pm
Are any of you, Best friends FOH LIFE! with anybody who ISN'T black or white.
*"black or white" just being generic terms for now.

How is that relationship?
How does the racial dynamic play into those relationships?

Replies:
Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:28pm
NO

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

NO

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:35pm
No Asian friends
or friends from Pakistan or India?

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:36pm
yes indian

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:38pm
You have a circle Samone?

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:39pm

nobody is for life in my book...

people change

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:40pm
Yes . I have one indian and white friend of over 20 years . Jackie and neil are the closest thing to black i ever witness . The entire home is decorated with black art and they own nothing but R&B music . I can count on her before family over the years . Only white person i trust .  

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:40pm

I have six people who I call my friends, and three of them are my siblings, lol.

I do have a friend who is white (born and raised in Italy) though. I've gotten her together a couple of times and we were good. During the hardest time in my life she held me down like a sister.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:41pm
the only white friend that i'm close with is from germany. all these others try my patience eventually.

Posted By: reesegurl11
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:42pm
I have no friends and the one person I sometimes hang out with, usually during holidays, is Italian.

My SO is white and my sister is mixed like me so those are the only people I see on the daily and of course my kids lol. Growing up my best friends were black and Hmong.

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:48pm
One of my good friends was Indian. We had a great friendship, but as we grew older her parents wanted her to stay away from 'other cultures'. She lied to me and told me that she was Coolie, but really she is an immigrant from India. In some parts of the Caribbean, Coolie is a derogatory word for Caribbean folk of Indian descent because it is Hindi for 'traitor'

I really like Sri Lankans. I find many of them to have very down to earth personalities and one of my best work friends is Sri Lankan and I wuv her.

The Mr.'s best friends are 2 Coolie brothers, they're pretty awesome guys.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:24pm
I have a new yt friend (1/4 Mexican)... I really like her BUT i'm waiting for the moment when she messes it all up with a "hey girlfriend" joke or mannerism

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:29pm
Samone... I know !!!!!!!!!! I kind of want to tell her to never ever to that sh*t but then it may get weird...

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:38pm
I have an Indian friend from childhood. We are BFF even though we live in different countries.

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:44pm
All of my buddies are international POCs

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:46pm
I always hung around a variety.  My childhood friends were Micronesian(similar to Hawaiian) black and white.  The Micronesian friend was fun and we did bring up race in lighthearted ways but it didn't pose any kind of issue.  As an adult, most of my friendships are with various people.  It was dating relationships that I was encouraged to be segregated more than friendships.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:47pm
i have Asians in my life, not friends... they aight

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:50pm
In the south, there is a such thing as being so country that it all forms a blur. 

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 7:36pm
One of my by best friends in College was Korean … cool guy … just really open minded …
One of my Best friends at my first job was Japanese … we had some of the same women issues which now that I think about it is kind of funny. We played a lot of Basketball and talked about Hip Hop as well as our different cultural up bringing. 

Side note: … I learn from this Chinese girl that Korean Men are like the most coveted of Asian men.. they're like pioneers and rebels.. Chinese men are kind of like Cave men… and Japanese men are soft and passive .. according to her. 

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 7:40pm
NO.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 7:43pm
Nah.....but I use to roll with a bunch of latinas......good times lmao

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 7:46pm
nope not bffs

but i am really good friends ppl who are not blk

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:33pm
yes. My BFF is white.
that bitch hold me down like a sister.
She is a black girl dipped in vanilla
Occasionally i had to get her together on some light sh*t, but she was ignorant because of her upbringing in a white household, but she's only white girl i trust.
She knows her ppl are trife and catch on to sh*t and checks it faster than i do sometimes

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:34pm
excuse my ratchet vernacular Embarrassed

Posted By: Marmonette
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:45pm
I have 3 really close friends. One is Black, one is Mexican, the other is white.

The white girl on all types of activist sh*t, so I have never had a problem with her. She stay checkin other white people. I have never met a white person like her, probably because of where I live.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:50pm
My ex best friend was peruvian. She was cool until she started to make black jokes and call me dark. I had to check her ass real quick Sleepy

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:54pm
Naw. My best friends are black.

I was cool with a white girl for a while but she got married and her husband pretty much isolated her from everyone. I even saw her sister in FB telling her how she abandoned them once she got married.

She slipped up a couple of times tho...probably would have went downhill eventually anyway.

Posted By: Findingmyme
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:58pm
My entire crew is black, the only white ppl I associate with are co-workers

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:11pm
When I was in hs my best friend was Indian. We fell off a few yes after he just BC life took us in diff directions. Most of my other friends were white BC the black folks thought I acted white lol. Idk. I had a few black friends though

As I get older I realized I don't really want white friends. I feel like I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop in terms of racism. Unfortunately that doesn't leave me with any friends lol

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:20pm
Nope. My BFFs are black and have been ride or die for over a decade. One for 24 years and the other 12 years. I have one guy that is Mexican that I am cool with.

I had white friends in high school but after graduation, I cut them really short.

As of now, my circle is black and shall remain that way. I have no real desire to form friendships with others at this time.

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:43pm
Not really

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:45pm

no...i'm good.

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:37pm
I remember a similar topic, not long.ago.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:39pm
me too queenbee...

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 12:56am
One of my best friends is Japanese--we met in college, the other is Australian--we were roommates.  I've never had a problem with either of them, we are all pretty much carbon copies of each other, personality-wise. 

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 1:09am
Nope my first mind was to say all my friends are black

But, I have a Mexican friend of 16 yrs that I visit with when I go see my mama. Bring her daughter gifts, play a little guitar hero, get a little tipsy and invite to holidays.. but we're not bff's. I love her and am sure I'll be in touch with her for life though. I never really call her though.. but we're ok with that

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:17am
I don't have any. In the city I live in you rarely see people of other races hanging out together. Usually they want the black female to fit into a certain stereotype:

A. be the token super friendly non threatening all American black girl

B. Or be the crazy loud mouth black girl that's always acting as their source of entertainment.

I dont fit into either of those categories so I'll pass.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 7:58am
Not a best friend but maybe a friend for life.  My old boss is someone I have a pretty close relationship with even though we haven't talked in years.  We talked about race many times but I usually end up annoyed because she's super sensitive about it and always wants to show me how anti-racist she is.  I used to read a lot on breaks and it would usually be a history book.  When I was reading a book about slavery she was damn near hysterical like I was going to read it and stop being her friend because white ppl had slaves and she feels really bad about it, and she's not like them and blah blahDead.   I looked at her and said "you're not in this book, calm down".   Me and my other black co-worker laughed at her for 10 minutes while she pulled herself together.  

I can't really deal with white ppl anymore though.  Something clicked in my brain about 6 years ago and I haven't been able to deal since then. 

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 8:20am
I don't have a bff from a different race but some of my close friends are Asian. They are all children of immigrants just like me, and I find that we can relate to certain things even though our culture is different. Plus I find my Asian friends to be funny and retarded so we are definitely compatible with eachother

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 8:36am

Yeah no yt ppl though

Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 8:51am
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

Yeah no yt ppl though

in a school full to the brim of whites.. i hung out with the black kids.. even the one i really didn't like , more than the whites. The Pakistani girls were nice. we had some Portuguese and Belarusian exchange students who were cool and my favorite teacher, other than kindergarten lol was from Australia.. couldn't stand my Scottish teacher. She put a bad taste in my mouth

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 9:51am
Yup

Egyptian, Palestinian, German, Pakistani, and French/Thai.

I have always grown up in a diverse community. I know many people, but have a small circle of very close friends, and I love spending time with these ladies. Despite racial differences, there are many similarities in our personalities (educated, ambitious, caring, opinionated, honest, loyal) 

And I wish I could wear a video camera to record all the stares we get when we are out and about. 

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 9:53am
I only have 2 dark skin friends, the rest mulatto and asian and white, my best friend is a mulatto he is irish and black.

Print Page | Close Window