Print Page | Close Window

Going Out with Friends/the Check

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369775
Printed Date: Sep 22 2018 at 5:44pm

Topic: Going Out with Friends/the Check
Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Subject: Going Out with Friends/the Check
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:54am

When you go to dinner with friends or family, do you prefer to:

a) split the check evenly, no matter what you ordered

b) split the check according to what you ordered

c) pay for everyone and next time you go out someone else picks up the bill

d) other, explain

Replies:
Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:57am
I get a separate check.....yes I'm that friend.....I refused to be a damn mathematician after I eat....nah....

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:57am
E) All the above.

IF were celebrating something, its C. On a normal night out for no reason A and B.

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:59am

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:01am
I don't drink so splitting the check even is a hell no. I don't pay anyone's drinks. 

....i always ask for separate checks before we start ordering. 

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:03am
my friends pay for what they've eaten... I don't mind separate checks but I hate when they whip out the calculator arguing bout who got what.

Birthdays... split their tab amongst everyone. If the bday girl has 4 drinks and 5 of us went out.. it works out to each of us buying her a drink... I prefer to split it equally (IF don't drink) or just pay and be paid back

I just watched American dad.. they did credit card roulette lol..if your card gets picked, you pay the whole meal lol I know they wont do that

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:03am
i hate splitting checks based on what u ordered. we're pulling out calculators? that extra $10 is gonna hurt that bad? if so--you can't eat with us. good day.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

d) other, explain
Me and my friends/cousins are po' students.LOL

With family, whoever is the man pays. If I go out with just mamaCC, she doesn't pay.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:10am
Ugh.. I hate it. Sometimes its less that. I usually tip cause when they start tallying that... I can no longer. we barely go out

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:10am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

i hate splitting checks based on what u ordered. we're pulling out calculators? that extra $10 is gonna hurt that bad? if so--you can't eat with us. good day.

this.  i think its so embarrassing when people haggle at the table.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:14am
with my bestie we go halfsies no matter what was ordered.  When we're with other people then we'll calculate...and even then i'll round up.  If we're all at a dive and what I ordered came up to around but not more than 20ish.  I'll give $25-27 and K.I.M.  but again.  i'll only go halfsies with my bestie and if we're alone.  We're like that with each other.

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:15am

This.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:17am
I'm usually okay with paying the whole check but if someone insists I'll say you pay the tip and I'll pay the rest or some thing like that.  And I hate doing math.  I stare at the check for 5 minutes just trying to figure out the tip.  I love the fact that most restaurants put a "gratuity" line on the receipt now. 

With work meals its usually easier.  If I am the most senior person at the table I take the check.  If its someone else they pay, etc. etc.   

The other exception is where there is a man with a big ego (sensitiveStern Smile) in the group.  They need to pay and be thanked for a lovely meal and be the alphaDead

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:18am
Chile when I go out I get my separate check pay and fly out the door.....while they still tryna count how many margaritas such and such had.....If its a birthday I just say put her drinks on my tab.....I went to a bday dinner with a large group and me and Mr00 before we even ordered say we were like separate check....cant do it.....in a small group I will just split and pay extra.....

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:23am
^^^^^^now in a large group...bestie and I pull the waitress to the side and say we want a separate check.  We both learned the hard way at a get together at Fire and Ice.  I had a bowl a rice and some sautéed veggies.  How the fucc my bill fitty fuccin' dollas?  Nope.  won't catch me sleepin' again.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:25am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

With family, whoever is the man pays. If I go out with just mamaCC, she doesn't pay.

Another exception for me.  So as I've said before MamaKfoxx is crazy as a bat out of hell so she insists on paying for every meal.    She always has to pay and/or argue with me about my finances and what I can and can't afford to do.  Dead

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:25am
If I order a salad and tea and you order a margarita, steak, dessert...we ain't splittin' sh*t.

Student struggles y'all!LOL

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:26am
When my ex and I went to dinner with my mother, she insisted on paying. He tipped cause she already settled the bill on numerous occasions before we knew lol

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:28am
With my two best friends, we just take turns paying the whole tab. We don't plan it that way. Just sometimes I pick up the check, and sometimes she does.

With anyone else, I just get a separate check.

I don't do that whole taking turns paying the whole tab with anyone other than my best friends cuz the broke people love to show up when it's on someone else's dime ordering alcohol and extra sh!t, but get missing when it's their turn. Got burned by that too many times.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:31am
CC.. My whole meal = to a third of yours. I might buss out the calculator for spite if someone tried that I rarely order alcohol so how we going halfsies on my bottled water and your 2 shots and a pina colada lol

my friend visited me and paid for our dinner. I visited her and paid for out breakfast

Posted By: Merin
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:35am
Well we have one set of friends who are very generous so we usually end up fighting over who is going to pay for the entire check.  When it's  a different set of friends I prefer to split evenly unless someone in the group is a complete moocher then you pay for what you ordered.

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:36am
I have a gf who can't add, hasnt ran to the atm or always like I only have twenties, well bish you better ask for change. I do not like lunching with her Confused and now when we meet I get there early and already order so when she shows up they already have a new tab waiting on her trifling azz. 

After that Ruth Chris Fiasco , never again .

Bish always want 2 glasses of $25 Merlot then wanna split it in half, nope I had one martini and it wasnt no $25. 

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:36am
Depends on the fiends and family. If they're close enough, I'm more apt to just pick up the tab. Otherwise, slip me the bill for exactly what I ordered. I've also had people ante up cash to me and I put the whole thing on my card-- I don't carry cash and they were sweet enough to do that.

Hmmm-- I wouldn't be opposed to splitting evenly, it's just never come up.

And:
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

this.  i think its so embarrassing when people haggle at the table.
Alla this. I'll pick up a tab just to avoid this kind of embarrassing foolishness.

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:38am

d) other, explain

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Either A or C, depending on who I'm with.

If I'm with my children, pay for everything with no expectation that they'll pick up the next check. If I'm with my sibs, then we rotate. If I'm with close friends, we either rotate or split checks evenly.

Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I have a gf who can't add, hasnt ran to the atm or always like I only have twenties, well bish you better ask for change. I do not like lunching with her Confused and now when we meet I get there early and already order so when she shows up they already have a new tab waiting on her trifling azz. 

After that Ruth Chris Fiasco , never again .

Bish always want 2 glasses of $25 Merlot then wanna split it in half, nope I had one martini and it wasnt no $25. 

OMG the I don't have cash friend.....we all know that bishLOL

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:39am
If its fam one person usually oays it all off, but i do separate checks. Not oaying for your alcohol, appetizers and dessert. that

Posted By: funkydiva2
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:40am

d) other, explain

I prefer to do "A" above.
It kind of embarresses me when ppl take out the calculator and try and account for every nickle and dime.  In most cases, I may end up paying maybe $10-$15 more which is worth avoiding the hassle of saying" hey didn't you order 2 drinks, or policing or keeping tabs on others".  For my group of friends it just works out better for us.

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:41am
C... whoever pays doesn't tip.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Merin Merin wrote:

Well we have one set of friends who are very generous so we usually end up fighting over who is going to pay for the entire check.  When it's  a different set of friends I prefer to split evenly unless someone in the group is a complete moocher then you pay for what you ordered.

yesss omg... one set with their calculators, the other either pay the whole thing or split down the middle. Smh @ tweaking your order depending on your company. sometimes I feel like just appetizers so the bill is extra long... they start hyperventilating and sh*t... I got it, calm down

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:44am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Tee hee hee, I'm that friend.

No fcuks given. People have been really great with/toward me though.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:45am
This thread reminds me I need to go find a new alpha male to hang with after the current gets deployed. I want some free meals in the summertime when I am out of class.LOL

Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:47am
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

I don't drink so splitting the check even is a hell no. I don't pay anyone's drinks. 

....i always ask for separate checks before we start ordering. 

I been played before by splitting the bill evenly, while 1 person got 2 drinks, dessert, me - I got the cheapest meal and soda, another person got soup only.

I learned, I said the DEVIL IS A LIAR, speak up and tell the waitress, I want my bill separate.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:49am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Thats reason why I split the checkLOL

I wish the no cash chick would but she never does....she just sits there looking like laa daw dee....then when everyone is upping he cash she looking like pay and I'll hit you back......by that time Im headed to the car.....

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:52am
I just let them know from the jump it's a seperate check.
No hassle& no paying for anyone else's food.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:56am

I wish the no cash chick would but she never does....she just sits there looking like laa daw dee....then when everyone is upping he cash she looking like pay and I'll hit you back......by that time Im headed to the car.....
Ok, I wouldn't do that. Even if I did, I got street cred.

They know I'm good for it.

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:43am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

If I order a salad and tea and you order a margarita, steak, dessert...we ain't splittin' sh*t.

Student struggles y'all!LOL

truth.com

I'm beginning to hate going out to eat with one of my sisters.  She is ALWAYS lookin around like "who's gonna pay".  Knowing good and dern well she shouldn't have suggested going out to eat at the end of the month when her no budgeting self is "running out of money."  Never again.Angry  My dad does this same thing.  If you want something special we will have a nice frugal meal at the house with groceries we already have.

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:53am

Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

That's the prt I don't like.

My no-cash friend always waits til checks are due to drop the bomb that she needs someone to pay for her...shifty as hell.

She learned the hard way not to look in my direction with that bull. Last time she tried me, I not so politely told her "Why you always saying that like they don't take cards?"

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:58am
If its my close group of friends or my sister we split the check evenly. If its a group of folks I don't know- I will do separate checks.

I like restaurants that can break the bill down to each person/seat that way there is no guessing or selectively forgetting that you ordered 5 drinks.

Posted By: Merin
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 12:03pm
We once went out for Thanksgiving Dinner. A the dinners were the same prices with the exception of the one which had Steak and lobster. My aunt and her kid both ordered that meal AND THEN tried to split the check evenly. I was like " Ummmm no you guys ordered the one thing with the up-charge so you have to pay more " my Momma was dying laughing and still laughs about it to this day. My Aunt is a mooch, honestly if one of my generous friends did it then I would be for splitting the check. I have an issue with folks always trying to take advantage of you.

Posted By: whitrhymes
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 12:07pm
I always get a separate check for dinners... I don't see the point of splitting the bill at the end, why would I pay for more than what I ate?  Also, that becomes difficult, you have to figure out who has cash, who only have their card, etc...

When my girls and I go out, we will buy drinks by the round and alternate who pays for each round... 

Posted By: bigsexylisa
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 1:13pm
We usually split the bill evenly, regardless of what we ate or drank (we all drink).  Hell, there's been times when someone doesn't feel like paying and will say so--so next time, they will put in more.  It all averages out.  Thank God I no longer have broke friends.  That used to be such a headache.  

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:39pm
with friends, I'll pay and they will pay next time or I'll pay again.

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:49pm
i like to split it evenly, but in north carolina they split checks immediately regardless of the party size...it's the strangest thing, that would never happen in the north lol

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:49pm
I give enough money for my food, beverage and tip I don't have the patience to figure who ate what how much it cost.

Posted By: Angel2011
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:19pm

Posted By: beebeexx
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:22pm
i never even HEARD of splitting the check evenly until some vine video

Posted By: JeriMK55
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:23pm
I pay for what I ordered...I'm a broke college student so

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:30pm
Separate checks isn't that hard. most restaurants do it

if u cant calculate (ie do simple math) what your ordered, you can't sit with us

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:54pm
we're talking abotu friends right, not just some people they sat at your table because restaurant was full? lol

I mean, if it's co workers or some  associates, it might be different. But with friends, we can't keep track of who paid last or who owes who a few bucks on the tab. We used to share our monthly college allowance checks til someone else's check came in. lol So by now we are too deep in debt to keep up. Sometime we jokingly say, "I owe you, you owe me" while one of us takes the chk.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:06pm
If I go out with Family sometimes everyone just contribute whatever, and it usually exceeds the bill plus tip, or one of my brothers will pick up the tab.
With friends I will estimate the cost of my meal plus something for the tip.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:09pm
I don't go out in big groups.
When we do we pay for our own sh*t.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 6:01pm
It depends on who I am with and the circumstances.  If it's a big group or if it's not possible to get a separate check, I will always keep track of what I ordered and round up for either the tip or service charge (depends on which country I'm in).  Sometimes I will split the tab evenly. 

I remember this one time I went to a restaurant party.  I came super late and only had one drink.  This fool told me I owed 3500yen (USD $35)!  I was young and pretty much just out of college so I didn't really know how that worked in Japan.  Then I realized he was a sleazy-ass foreigner taking advantage of the Japanese custom to split the bill.  Never again, said I, after that.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:33pm
If its 7 of us the check is split evenly...no matter what u eat.
Eta.....if its 2 of us we split it down the middle. I only eat out with my homies

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:45pm
Separate check please

I hate going out with my one friend. She doesn't have a job but expects me to pay for her drinks/food. I don't mind paying sometimes but not all the damn time! You aint my girl! You aint licking the kitty! Why the hell should you get a free meal and drinks all the time?

That's why I only take $30 with me now when I go out with her and I tell her I'm broke and I only got money for me LOL

Posted By: Marmonette
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:48pm
Separate checks. Best friend or not, I am not paying for your steak dinner when I searched all over this menu for the 6.99 lunch special. Bye, friend.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:51pm
See my friends know I like a drama free life..so we all make guidelines when we all hangout. The bill...whose the dd..where we going. It works so far

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Marmonette Marmonette wrote:

Separate checks. Best friend or not, I am not paying for your steak dinner when I searched all over this menu for the 6.99 lunch special. Bye, friend.

LOL this made me laugh

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:42pm

actually, i avoid going out with buzz kills who want to examine the check and or ask for separate checks out loud.  go sit and eat by yourself...Sleepy

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:51pm
This sh*t urks me. When I go out with a bunch of people and all of sudden the bill comes and the broke ass in the group turns into a mathematician to split the bill when she ordered the most expensive thing.

Its best to do seprate billing!!!

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

actually, i avoid going out with buzz kills who want to examine the check and or ask for separate checks out loud.  go sit and eat by yourself...Sleepy

this made me weak laugh

i look like miana's avi when they start talking bout "and 13 cents"

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:54pm

none of my friends do this.  but errr now and then somebody makes the mistake of inviting some stray they done picked up on the side of the road who acts like they ain't never been no where...

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:57pm
TC.. stooooop. i took a sip of ginger ale that time and it hurt going down

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Marmonette Marmonette wrote:

lol...

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

*wonders how the moochers feel as they read this thread*

they don't feel no type of way.  they moochers.LOL

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

TC.. stooooop. i took a sip of ginger ale that time and it hurt going down
LOL

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:10pm

LOL
 I was waiting on your post so I could co-sign  since I know we agree on this subject.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:12pm
I wouldn't even feel right splitting the bill evenly cause most likely my meal is the most expensive.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:12pm
girl i can't!  the older i get the faster i will just be basically like...look newbie heffa stfu...you killing our vibe...i'll pay for you...shyt.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:14pm

girl i can't!  the older i get the faster i will just be basically like...look newbie heffa stfu...you killing our vibe...i'll pay for you...shyt.

LOL
*jots that down word for word* LOL

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:18pm
sang that's just it...with friends...it typically all evens out over time anyway.

i mean unless you hanging out with people who purposely try and order cheaply ALL the damn time...on purpose...in which case it begs the question....why are you outside?  you can stay at home and have a salad and some fries.

any time a friend is broke they are STEEEEL more than welcome to come eat with the girls...we can handle that...

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

LOL
*jots that down word for word* LOL

LOL  oh and i usually grab the bill from them pre ponder mode (as classy as is possible...Embarrassed...of course) to quickly put an end to the foolery before they have a chance to snatch all the fun out the air...LOL

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:31pm
LOL @ snatch all the fun out the air.
so true.

LOL
I love you!!

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:36pm

Heart

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:24am
Usually we all have our checks separately divided. But I hate when I go to lunch wit my sister and she gives the waiter $2 tips. Its soooo embarrassing. She does this every single time even when the service is excellent.   

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 4:18am

I get a separate check.....yes I'm that friend.....I refused to be a damn mathematician after I eat....nah....

here yee....here yee....(correct shouting there???LOLLOL)

Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 4:34am
Only time we don't get separate checks is when we go to a bar.
We just alternate rounds. 

Print Page | Close Window