Print Page | Close Window

Tipping for hair stylist

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369771
Printed Date: Jun 21 2018 at 2:27am

Topic: Tipping for hair stylist
Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Subject: Tipping for hair stylist
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 2:36am
how much is tipping for doing one's hair at a salon? i have been tipping 15% of the price...someone said it has went up...

it will cost 75.00 for my daughter's hair to be done and don;t want to cheap the stylist..

thanks

Replies:
Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 2:42am
15% is fine...who is this someone? lol i think it's polite to tip, but who exactly determines the rules? lol

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 2:44am
I get my haircut on $10 Tuesdays and tip $5. It seems to work out good for both of us.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 2:49am
Originally posted by femmefatale85 femmefatale85 wrote:

15% is fine...who is this someone? lol i think it polite to tip, but who exactly determines the rules? lol

chile...someone is the same folks who tell folks what to wear every season and what ain't cute no more.LOL  what colour is in for fall and so on.  I don't know who determines the rules...been asking that for a while.

now that I think on it....I had read in some etiquette book a year or 5 back that tipping had gone up to 20%?  Maybe because of inflation? cost of living? *shrugs*

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:11am
well the same as waiters, but its gone up to 18%

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:24am

15% is fine...who is this someone? lol i think it's polite to tip, but who exactly determines the rules? lol

my sister in law....Confused

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:24am
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

well the same as waiters, but its gone up to 18%

so now that is the correct percentage?

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:26am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

15% is fine...who is this someone? lol i think it polite to tip, but who exactly determines the rules? lol

chile...someone is the same folks who tell folks what to wear every season and what ain't cute no more.LOL  what colour is in for fall and so on.  I don't know who determines the rules...been asking that for a while.

now that I think on it....I had read in some etiquette book a year or 5 back that tipping had gone up to 20%?  Maybe because of inflation? cost of living? *shrugs*

20%...well lawd clutch my shiny fake pearls...ConfusedConfusedConfused...

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:27am
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

I get my haircut on $10 Tuesdays and tip $5. It seems to work out good for both of us.

works out to goodLOL

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:09am
Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

20%...well lawd clutch my shiny fake pearls...ConfusedConfusedConfused...

welp.

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:36am
I pay $60-$65 when I get my hair done and I tip $10-$15

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 6:21am
I've never tipped a hair stylist, I always walk out dissatisfied. Which is why I prefer to do my own hair.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 7:47am
I tip more if the stylist only getsva set amount from the salon amd doesnt get to pocket.

If she is just renting a chair then it depends

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 8:27am
I tip 20%

15% is fine tho

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:59am
If i get wash and curl/flat iron i usually tip $5-7...when i get a sew in $10-15.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:11am
i didn't type my stylist the last time bc her roommate asked her to babysit her baby in the shop.  i had to amuse a lil niglet while getting a press. smdh. 

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:16am
I tip stylists at least 15%.

I do tip salon stylist a lil more than kitchen stylist cuz I know sometimes they pay booth fees or only get a certain amount from the owner of the salon.

If I absolutely love my hair, they get more.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:17am
if the stylist is the owner you dont actually have to tip because its not expected.  people usually do (myself included) out of habit.

it used to annoy me that i had to tip 2 or 3 different people.  can i have just one person touching my head please?

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 1:35pm
People don't understand that their tip is based on how pleased I am with the service as well as your customer service. If you are dry towards me, and my hair isn't banging...no I'm not paying you $150 - $250 for my hair and then 20% in a tip. I'm not. And I have no shame. 

I don't tip kitchen stylists anyway. You absorb every dime of what I pay with no rental costs, etc. 

Salons are different. 

Again, personality.....and general aura matters tremendously. I have yet to meet a stylist who I LIKED, felt COMFORTABLE enough to do my hair, was EDUCATED on natural hair, took direction, and knows how to execute a weave with a decent part. I dont understand women who pay to get their hair done and then walk out with them big ass parts that looked like they been attacked by a lawn mower. That's piss poor work and it looks awful. I wouldn't pay or tip sh*t for that mess. Cry

Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 4:29am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

i didn't type my stylist the last time bc her roommate asked her to babysit her baby in the shop.  i had to amuse a lil niglet while getting a press. smdh. 

SO GLAD when i was at work i was ALL ALONE AND READ UR REMARK OF THE LIL Niglet....LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 4:30am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

if the stylist is the owner you dont actually have to tip because its not expected.  people usually do (myself included) out of habit.

it used to annoy me that i had to tip 2 or 3 different people.  can i have just one person touching my head please?

I hear ya on so many folks workin on ya....hate that ish...

Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 4:31am
kitchen stylist is someone who does hair from their house?

well my daughter will have to tip this time cause i bought the hair and had to use my cc for the appointment....so she will be tipping her stylist...not I.

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 7:50am
It's hard out here, no tip lol.

My stylist raised the price 20 dollars and I always tipped before so eff it.

If I was older and had it like that I wouldn't really mind tipping though... idk

I really don't understand tipping, like I'm already paying for my food, service etc.

Print Page | Close Window