Print Page | Close Window

Could You Kill What You Eat?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369755
Printed Date: Nov 14 2018 at 12:45am

Topic: Could You Kill What You Eat?
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Could You Kill What You Eat?
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:04am
well, could you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V3xlMHxKnU" rel="nofollow -

-

Maddie loves her Greek family's traditional lamb souvlaki but her vegetarian friends claim that meat is murder. So she's decided to reconnect the animal and the meal or never eat meat again. After talking to the people who slaughter animals for their livelihood she is encouraged to do it herself, but even if she can kill an animal, will she still want to eat it afterwards?

Replies:
Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:09am
yes

my family is from the south and grew up raising their food

when i'd visit during the holidays, as a small child my great grandparents killed animals in front of me

i appreciate my food

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:12am
No.
When I buy meat at the grocery store, I don't like to think of it as having once lived. I know if I had to look into it's eyes and kill it, I wouldn't be able to eat it. 
I'd be a vegan.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:14am
i can kill a fish if that counts

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:27am
Yes. 

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:29am
No.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:30am
If I had no choice yes. Killing it is the easy part.Cutting it up properly without tainting the meat is the hard part. Ive been catching and gutting fish since I was 10 probably the easy animal to clean.....

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:32am
Originally posted by femmefatale85 femmefatale85 wrote:

yes

my family is from the south and grew up raising their food

when i'd visit during the holidays, as a small child my great grandparents killed animals in front of me

i appreciate my food
this

I vaguely remember a thread on here in which the person wanted to kill a pig for a luau (maybe in jest). I was like *smh*, you have no idea how loud that sounds huh?

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:40am
Probably not.

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

If I had no choice yes. Killing it is the easy part.Cutting it up properly without tainting the meat is the hard part. Ive been catching and gutting fish since I was 10 probably the easy animal to clean.....

Teach me your ways. I'm scared to clean fish. Too many places to get poked or stabbed.

Posted By: Faithfully2002
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:45am
No.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:47am
you kidding? YES

Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:56am
This is all u need and ur good to go..

.lol i gave a hard time gripping fish so need the board and gloves. If you got a really good filleting knife its like butta..ive cut my hands many times... but the taste of fresh fish is the bomb! Especially if u can gut and grill it right then and there...lawd.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:56am
sma)er animals but not a rabbit

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 11:02am
If I had no choice but I do.

Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 11:03am
Rabbits are delicious

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 11:08am
Chasing down a hen, finally catching that sucker, a knife to the neck, bleeding it out,dipping it in scalding hot water to remove the feathers and voila a feast is upon us.....aaah sweet memories of growing up in Africa Cry LOL

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 11:13am
Yes I could. My Daddy had a friend who had a goat farm and he'd go over there and take me every 2 months to stock up on goat meat. I never saw them kill the actual goat but I'd help when it came to cutting off the skin and would watch when it was cut up. I was never scared of seeing the animals dead eyes cuz my mom would always cook the head and we'd eat it. I didn't like the head at all though. It didn't taste good to me

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 11:33am
We had chickens and ate their eggs, our neighbour had cows, we bought fish right from the fisherman--I've seen fish die in front of me, then we take it home and clean and cook, I've seen the goat we'd eat tomorrow running round today etc.

If we want crab, my uncle would just head to where the crab lives and catch a bag of them. They'd come back crawling out the bad and he'd kill them and clean them.

To get milk, we milked the cow.

We didn't grow up on a farm at all..that's the funny part.

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 11:39am
My parents can do this type of thing but they sheltered me in regards to country living.  I would do it If I knew how. 

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 11:54am
Just give me a gun and tell me where to shoot and I'll have all yer goats pigs and cows dead in 30 minutes

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 12:03pm
I've thought about this before and I'm sure I wouldn't. I try to take it easy with my meat consumption though.

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 12:25pm
my grandma had a cow, fouls and chickens... No

I don't remember eating any dairy/meat that summer. I asked my youngest brother if he remembered the cow staring and he laughed like I was crazy lol. If I had to kill it myself, I would but id hire someone first.

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 12:37pm
yes. nothing new to me

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 12:49pm
if i had to, yes. i don't know how to do it, though. 

my husband sometimes hunts deer and fish, but i don't eat venison bc it is nasty to me. fresh fish is wonderful, though. 

when i was in college, we took a field trip to a slaughterhouse. that turned me off of meat for awhile…not necessarily b/c of the killing itself, but the way that it was done. 

Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 1:00pm
i dont think i can kill an animal
but i like watching how they prepare it lol 

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 1:07pm
My guy friend was telling me last night how when he was little he would have to go get eggs out of the chicken coop and hurry up and run outta there before the rooster got his ass. He said he couldn't eat the eggs after looking at them under the chicken. Once he saw that it was under the chicken and had come out of the chicken it just ruined his appetite for it. He still eats eggs but he can't eat an egg that he saw under a chicken if that makes any sense.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 1:08pm
i could.

Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 1:18pm
My big mama was a farmer. I had to get eggs from the coop, kill chickens, gut fish and everything. The time when I went to see my big mama I was damn near vegetarian. I felt too much empathy. Animals I had been talking to the whole summer.. having to look those animals in the eyes.

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 1:24pm
I would if I knew how. I wish someone would teach me how to hunt. I've always had dreams of being like one of those frontier women who can do everything.

I should sign up for these butchery classes I saw.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 1:51pm
Yup....was born and raised in Jamaica. People kill what they eat everyday there.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 1:55pm
No. I can't even buy whole fish without feeling bad for the lil suckers...

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 2:04pm
No

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 2:12pm
Wait, do crabs and lobsters count?

I do that often and I feel no remorse...I think it's different because I'm just throwing them in a pot of water. No skinning, beheading...none of that gory stuff...

Posted By: ThABxBoRoUgH
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 2:18pm
I've always said that if you couldn't kill your meat, then you shouldn't eat it. That being said, I'd kill that *ish. I don't dissociate the meat I eat from something that once lived. I'm appreciative of my chicken, cows, and goats lol

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 2:22pm
I would not kill what I eat in this modern society - what would be the point .. if all I have to do is go to the corner grocery store.

But if the world as we know it ... came to an end and I had to go hunting dinner with my spear or knife .. it would he ecky but I would it and get used to it ... if I wanted to live.

Let's get real folks - how did our ancestors survive?

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 2:24pm
Yes except for a lamb . Farmers are placing so many things in animals for profit . The reason cancer rates are so high . I can't look in a lobster black eyes and drop him in the pot . Cry

Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 2:39pm
idc about crawfish/crabs lol its not that hard to dump them in hot water
but cows/pigs etc.. i couldn't

i was watching some show and the guy was de-balling sheep, and he used his teeth to take the testicles out... i could barely watch that, felt like they were hurting them :(

poor babies

Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

My guy friend was telling me last night how when he was little he would have to go get eggs out of the chicken coop and hurry up and run outta there before the rooster got his ass. He said he couldn't eat the eggs after looking at them under the chicken. Once he saw that it was under the chicken and had come out of the chicken it just ruined his appetite for it. He still eats eggs but he can't eat an egg that he saw under a chicken if that makes any sense.

I can understand that.  having to do the same put me off eggs for a while.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 3:35pm
I don't even kill bugs. I do the mega swerve to not hit animals with my car. I can not kill. Even if I was a dr and they made voluntary lethal injections, I couldn't do it. I joke about killing people, but I can't kill anything.

If I absolutely had to, like for my baby, I would. If have to drug it or something.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 3:53pm
I'm not a vegetarian and I certainly wouldn't go hungry so I would learn the proper way to kill and butcher.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 3:56pm
i would have to learn too, but raw meat makes me nauseous.  it's hard for me to season chicken or even ground beef.  i do it though.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 4:17pm
I don't eat meat but I could kill it for my dinner guests LOL
We started hunting/sport around age 7 with dad. I wouldn't hunt now but if it was a necessity, I COULD.

eta: I always found it interesting that mom wouldn't eat anything we killed, but she'd cook it up for us. She wouldn't touch it tho.. now I know why.LOL

Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i would have to learn too, but raw meat makes me nauseous.  it's hard for me to season chicken or even ground beef.  i do it though.

meat has the most awful smell when it starts cooking  . Eeewww

(to me)

Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

I don't even kill bugs. I do the mega swerve to not hit animals with my car. I can not kill. Even if I was a dr and they made voluntary lethal injections, I couldn't do it. I joke about killing people, but I can't kill anything.

If I absolutely had to, like for my baby, I would. If have to drug it or something.

reminds me of hub. He likes to take things outside to set them free. F that!
 I tell people that I turned him into a killer. LOL

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

I would not kill what I eat in this modern society - what would be the point .. if all I have to do is go to the corner grocery store.

But if the world as we know it ... came to an end and I had to go hunting dinner with my spear or knife .. it would he ecky but I would it and get used to it ... if I wanted to live.

Let's get real folks - how did our ancestors survive?

Protein deficiency is a real thing. 

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 4:52pm
My dad's generation and older did it.

I'd prefer not to but I would learn if I had to. I would be an expert at growing everything else so I could avoid it.Big smile

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 8:44pm
my grandma used to do that. we'd be like..what happened to our chicken??Cry
then shes like we're having chicken for dinner.Shocked

ive often said that when im hungry nothing is safe...if i was forced to live in a forest/jungle area im sure i could. as for now...idk. i know how to..but...idk...

Posted By: KittenWhip
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 8:59pm
I can't even eat a fish with the head on, so my answer is....  NO.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 9:22pm
chicken tastes too damn good for me to worry about wringing a neck and plucking some feathers
Idk about a cow, i think cows are sweet Cry and i dont care for pork tbh
fish-doncurrrr
lamb...eh...i might flinch
deers die every day via vehicles so i might as well benefit from the death of a deer
crustaceans...boil 'em up no prollem

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

my grandma used to do that. we'd be like..what happened to our chicken??Cry
then shes like we're having chicken for dinner.Shocked

ive often said that when im hungry nothing is safe...if i was forced to live in a forest/jungle area im sure i could. as for now...idk. i know how to..but...idk...
Golden Girls, the one where Aunt Angela cooks Rose's piano-playing chicken LOL

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:35pm
only seafood. my momma used to tell me about how great granddaddy would swing the chicken to brek its neck. im not into meat all like that to be swingin and plucking a 15 lb chicken. id rather shell peas, shuck corn, did up sweet potatos and go crabbing & fishing in the atlantic.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 10:38pm
I don't want to but I can kill if I needed to

Posted By: NadiaPost
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 11:28pm
Like yeah if it's a choice between starving to death and killing an animal to survive I can do it. My family had a farm with goats and chickens so it isn't anything. Fuk Peta.

Posted By: ppp38
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:37am
Yeah for seafood and chicken 
No for Beef and Pork

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 7:14am

Hell Yeah Fcukin Right!!! I would kill a baby lamb for it's juicy meat, I would kill any animal for it's meats.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:36am
Yep.....cant wait to go hunting with Mr00.....I won't shoot any deer tho....I won't eat deer so I refuse to kill it.

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 9:45am
Nothing better than a fresh yardbird. I definitely could.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:30am
Yes, we are both (DH&I) are from the country side.. you killed your food or you didn't eat.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:30am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Yep.....cant wait to go hunting with Mr00.....I won't shoot any deer tho....I won't eat deer so I refuse to kill it.

Deer is soo good....

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Deer is soo good....

I refuse to eat deer....Cry

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 10:36am
Nope..LOL as far as I'm concerned, patties grow in a field, then they're plucked up, grilled, and I pick them up from Smash Burger

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:34am
Naw, I couldn't do it.

Not cuz I care that it once lived as horrible as that sounds, but I hate the thought that my burger or steak once had fur. I'm disgusted by what animals have to go thru to be edible.

I could probably kill it, but it'd be a waste cuz I'm not wallowing in blood or skinning a damn thing, so just no.

Doesn't stop me from munching tho.

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:38am
fish, yes
chicken ---maybe

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:46am
I really want to spend a year with my granny to learn all the old school stuff b4 the opportunity is lost. Not like she is killing chickens and gutting farm animals at 96 yrs, but I would like to verbally ask how the stuff was done and to learn a lot of the old time traditional ways of doing things.

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:53am
nope

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Qualified Qualified wrote:

lol.
My mom grew up on a huge farm and she always talked about how she couldn't eat chicken 'fresh off the yard.' She liked store bought chicken LOL.

I love her stories about milking the cows and churning butter  when she was a kid . I don't know how women back then found the time to make dinner when they had to gather, wash/prep, THEN cook the food; when I be wore out just taking some out the freezer to put in oven and pressing the timer button [whew!]LOL, but I love hearing about it.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:54pm
You'd be surprised what hunger can make you do.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 3:59pm
No, but out of laziness, not squeamish-ness

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Originally posted by Qualified Qualified wrote:

lol.
My mom grew up on a huge farm and she always talked about how she couldn't eat chicken 'fresh off the yard.' She liked store bought chicken LOL.

I love her stories about milking the cows and churning butter  when she was a kid . I don't know how women back then found the time to make dinner when they had to gather, wash/prep, THEN cook the food; when I be wore out just taking some out the freezer to put in oven and pressing the timer button [whew!]LOL, but I love hearing about it.

RIGHTLOL
That's why they had to stay at home.  Just getting one meal together was a full days work.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:09pm
 manga, I tell you! lol

I made fresh greens ONE TIME and by the time I finished washing, rewashing, cleaning, cutting/chopping, washing again, etc I was so tired I had to call my momma and say THANK YOU. Because she used to make greens like every week almost. And she had a career.

eta: and she grew her own greens so she had to pick them too. I just swung by the store to get mine and still I couldn't hang LOL

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:13pm
why would i

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:14pm
so, did anyone watch the video?

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 4:16pm

Im not killing anything...that would be the day I turn into a vegetarian...

Print Page | Close Window