Print Page | Close Window

Black 17-Y-O Accepted by All 8 Ivy League Colleges

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369662
Printed Date: Dec 12 2017 at 5:29am

Topic: Black 17-Y-O Accepted by All 8 Ivy League Colleges
Posted By: bindy
Subject: Black 17-Y-O Accepted by All 8 Ivy League Colleges
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 4:39am

17-Y-O High School Student Kwasi Enin Gets Accepted by All 8 Ivy League Colleges in Rare Feat; Looks Like He'll Be Choosing Yale

http://www.christianpost.com/news/17-y-o-high-school-student-kwasi-enin-gets-accepted-by-all-8-ivy-league-colleges-in-rare-feat-looks-like-hell-be-choosing-yale-117203/email.html" rel="nofollow">
http://www.christianpost.com/news/17-y-o-high-school-student-kwasi-enin-gets-accepted-by-all-8-ivy-league-colleges-in-rare-feat-looks-like-hell-be-choosing-yale-117203/print.html" rel="nofollow">
http://www.christianpost.com/news/17-y-o-high-school-student-kwasi-enin-gets-accepted-by-all-8-ivy-league-colleges-in-rare-feat-looks-like-hell-be-choosing-yale-117203/" rel="nofollow">
< id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" border="0" allowtransparency="true" ="http://plat.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_.1395870373.#_=1396431308375&count=horizontal&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.christianpost.com%2Fnews%2F17-y-o-high-school-student-kwasi-enin-gets-accepted-by-all-8-ivy-league-colleges-in-rare-feat-looks-like-hell-be-choosing-yale-117203%2F&size=m&text=17-Y-O%20High%20School%20Student%20Kwasi%20Enin%20Gets%20Accepted%20by%20All%208%20Ivy%20League%20Colleges%20in%20Rare%20Feat%3B%20Looks%20Like%20He'll%20Be%20Choosing%20Yale&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.christianpost.com%2Fnews%2F17-y-o-high-school-student-kwasi-enin-gets-accepted-by-all-8-ivy-league-colleges-in-rare-feat-looks-like-hell-be-choosing-yale-117203%2F" ="twitter-share- twitter-tweet- twitter-count-horizontal" title="Twitter Tweet " -twttr-rendered="true" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; transition: all 0.3s ease 0s; -webkit-transition: all 0.3s ease 0s; width: 110px; height: 20px;">

In an extremely rare feat, according to college counselors, Kwasi Enin, a 17-year-old first-generation American from Shirley, N.Y., has been accepted to all eight elite Ivy League universities and he is receiving praise from across the United States.

"Congratulations to Kwesi Enin on being accepted to all eight of the Ivy League universities!" noted Gospel star Yolanda Adams in a post on her  https://www.facebook.com/yolandaadamslive" rel="nofollow - Facebook page  Tuesday.

College counselors  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/31/ivy-league-admissions-college-university/7119531/" rel="nofollow - told USA Today  that the feat is so rare among college applicants that very few dare to apply to all eight because they look for different qualities in their freshman class. Almost none are invited to attend all of them.

But Kwasi, whose parents both studied medicine and now work as nurses after emigrating from Ghana in the 1980s, achieved the rare welcome from them all: Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell and the University of Pennsylvania.

Nancy Winkler, a guidance counselor at William Floyd High School, where Kwasi is a student said she has never seen anything like his achievement in her 29 years as a counselor.

"My heart skipped a beat when he told me he was applying to all eight," she said. "It's a big deal when we have students apply to one or two Ivies. To get into one or two is huge. It was extraordinary."

Kwasi scored 2,250 out of a possible 2,400 points on the SAT and is ranked No. 11 in a class of 647 at William Floyd, a large public school on Long Island's south shore.

And the musician who sings in the school's a capella group and volunteers in the radiology department at Stony Brook University Hospital is expected to complete 11 Advanced Placement courses by the time he graduates this spring.

In a Newsday interview posted on YouTube Tuesday, Kwesi explained that getting accepted by all eight elite colleges wasn't his intention, but he is happy about it.

"I simply thought I would apply to all eight, I know it's crazy. I was hoping I'd get one or two, and they all came and I said there's no way," he said, expressing his shock.

"And then I quickly [felt] pride, appreciation and thankfulness for everyone who helped you in the whole process. From the ones that gave you the idea to [those who] helped you with your essays to all your teachers…and family, parents, for all the support they do," he continued.

And which one of the coveted schools will he choose to study medicine and music? Kwasi says Yale more closely matches what he is looking for in a college.

"I think my preference is Yale," he said. "They seem to embody all the kind of things I want in college. The family, the wonderful education, the amazing diverse students and financial aid, as well. I think Yale has all that for me right now. It's tough to compare all these wonderful schools," he ended.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/17-y-o-high-school-student-kwasi-enin-gets-accepted-by-all-8-ivy-league-colleges-in-rare-feat-looks-like-hell-be-choosing-yale-117203/

Replies:
Posted By: cvzx
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 4:44am
wow! His parents must be so happy. Based on the article he seems pretty focused 11 ap classes during his senior yr. My senior yr I had finished most required classes so I was in vacation mode/last year of high school.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 4:55am
HeartClap

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 6:36am
now thats some beautifully dope sh*t

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 6:56am
is he african?

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 7:03am
I always feel some type of way about these kinds of threads. 

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 7:27am
Why Sang? Are u filing this under "look he did it why can't u?", "look we 'let' this one thru", "he's not AA so this is expected" or "how come this powerful black mind didn't apply to an HBCU?"

What it is?

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 7:28am
Clap Great accomplishment

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 7:32am
I still bet most black women wouldn't date him because he doesn't got swag and isn't thuggin...

But congrats on this brother, you're so lucky to be African and intelligent that is the difference between AA women and African women. One chooses outside and the other chooses the inside.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 7:44am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

I still bet most black women wouldn't date him because he doesn't got swag and isn't thuggin...

But congrats on this brother, you're so lucky to be African and intelligent that is the difference between AA women and African women. One chooses outside and the other chooses the inside.
....you really need to perfect your trolling tactics

Trolling? Shocked

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 7:47am
ilive ...foh. that man is African. U act like he'd date an AA woman for serious.

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 7:47am

I would.

he is cute
he is african
and I love the wayhe speaks.
saw him on the news yesterday
doesnt look like a thigh fcker or a man that trolls bhm.
win

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 7:59am
Sang get back here and tell us.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 8:04am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

ilive ...foh. that man is African. U act like he'd date an AA woman for serious.

I know he won't, he is a genius and doesn't have to deal with AA women, he has every right to believe in a higher power because he is blessed.

God bless Africa!

Nitabug - I know you would, you're like African in heart and not American.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 8:15am

Why Sang? Are u filing this under "look he did it why can't u?", "look we 'let' this one thru", "he's not AA so this is expected" or "how come this powerful black mind didn't apply to an HBCU?"

What it is?

Something like that one.

I'm happy that he's happy, but I feel like these threads have us measuring intelligence and success on a black to white scale.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 8:15am
And Africans do date AAs.
They love some me.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

And Africans do date AAs.
They love some me.

Might because your blunt with a very soft voice and thick.

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 8:46am
I'm glad for him and even happier they are offering financial aid for him as well!

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:19am

That was some bitter bhm stuff to say

I'm just messing with u, but yeah

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:25am
I saw this on the news, beautiful

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:30am

well he might fucc

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:33am
ClapHugThumbs Up I'm proud of him!

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:40am

Why the All-Ivy League Story Stirs Up Tensions Between African Immigrants and Black Americans

The story of the first-generation Ghanian-American student accepted by all eight Ivy league schools is wonderful, but it also stirs up the tension between black Americans and recent African immigrants — especially when you describe him as "not a typical African-American kid." That's been the reaction to  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/31/ivy-league-admissions-college-university/7119531/" rel="nofollow - USA Today's profile on Kwasi Enin , a Long Island high schooler who got into the nation's most competitive schools through hard work and, according to IvyWise CEO Katherine Cohen, being African (and being male). At one point the piece reads:

Being a first-generation American from Ghana also helps him stand out, Cohen says. "He's not a typical African-American kid."

"Not a typical African-American kid" is being read as an allusion to the lazy black American stereotype. The tension comes from the fact that some African immigrants buy into that stereotype, which gets turned into "Africans don't like black people." This has almost nothing to do with Enin, who is obviously a remarkable young man, and everything to do with how America perceives and portrays black Americans and African immigrants. 

RELATED:  http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014/04/arizona-lawmakers-cant-spell-the-name-of-the-abortion-drug-they-banned/360000/" rel="nofollow - Arizona Lawmakers Can't Spell the Name of the Abortion Drug They Banned

In January, Luvvie Ajayi, a Nigerian-born immigrant, tried to explain "akata," a word some Nigerians use to refer to black Americans that translates into wild animal. (Note: A lot of Nigerians use akata to mean "ghetto" as well. My mom once told me I was dressed like an akata girl because I wanted to wear sweatpants in public.) She argued in a series of tweets,  http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014/01/must-read-complicated-relationship-africans-african-americans/" rel="nofollow - collected by Clutch , that the reason some Africans believe black Americans should be doing better is because they  https://twitter.com/Luvvie/statuses/421512752062943232" rel="nofollow - don't know about the history of black Americans  but see their own success as a reason blacks should excel as well. "Africans who come to the U.S. are statistically more successful than African Americans and they think 'if I could do it, why not them?'"  https://twitter.com/Luvvie/statuses/421515611433205760" rel="nofollow - she wrote . 

American society holds that same view as well. A 2007 study http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/05/AR2007030501296.html" rel="nofollow -  covered by the Washington Post  found that a quarter of black students admitted to elite colleges were African immigrants, though they only represented 13 percent of America's college-age black population. The study's authors several theories on why black immigrants do better, including "to white observers black immigrants seem more polite, less hostile, more solicitous and 'easier to get along with.' Native blacks are perceived in precisely the opposite fashion." 

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:43am
meanwhile in DC, 
a typical african american kid?

D.C. High Schooler Accepted Into Five Ivy League Schools

For many high school seniors, sending out college applications is one of the most stressful events of the year, but for one D.C. student, getting in was easy, and now it's time to decide where to go.

Seventeen-year-old Avery Coffey is a student at Benjamin Banneker High School, a four-sport student athlete and the recipient of five ivy league school acceptance letters.

With an acceptance roster that includes Harvard, Yale, Brown, University of Pennsylvania and Princeton, the southeast D.C. native has the world at his fingertips.

"I think Harvard has a slight edge, but I'm still trying to decide," he said.

Raised by a single mother in one of the poorest wards in the District, Coffey did not have an easy road to success, but against the odds, he has managed to accomplish a feat few else will.

In addition to the ivies, Coffey has also been offered full rides at George Washington University and Howard University.

When asked the secret to his striking success, the academic wunderkind says, "If you come here and you know exactly what you want to do and have the determination to do the work, you will be successful here."

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

that bitch said that

this is her

smh...

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:48am

Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

meanwhile in DC, 

yes, he was only accepted to 5

Ouch

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 10:12am
5 is better than none and still shows his intelligence and abilities. Also, Ghana is correct to keep him from fold of Black America.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 11:18am

meanwhile in DC, 

Only? How many blacks, asians or whites get accepted to 5? It is not often, gifted kids are the minority, regardless of race.
The comment "not your typical black" rubbed me the wrong way, like blacks are unintelligent, as it was a walk in the park for whites to get accepted to even ONE Ivy League.

Both teenagers are intelligent and gifted, regardless of their background. It is not where you are from or where your parents are from, but what you do. The one accepted in five Ivy Leagues was the son of a poor single mom, and the one accepted by 8 was the son of doctors who now work as nurses, so both had a different backgrounds, different life situations, yet they both achieved something that is quite difficult for kids of any race.

And I don't see anything wrong with him choosing an Ivy League over a black university.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

well he might fucc

i'm sure he will.  most men will fucc. i'm talmbout fuccing with a future in mind. 

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 11:28am

meanwhile in DC, 

For many high school seniors, sending out college applications is one of the most stressful events of the year, but for one D.C. student, getting in was easy, and now it's time to decide where to go.

Seventeen-year-old Avery Coffey is a student at Benjamin Banneker High School, a four-sport student athlete and the recipient of five ivy league school acceptance letters.

With an acceptance roster that includes Harvard, Yale, Brown, University of Pennsylvania and Princeton, the southeast D.C. native has the world at his fingertips.

"I think Harvard has a slight edge, but I'm still trying to decide," he said.

Raised by a single mother in one of the poorest wards in the District, Coffey did not have an easy road to success, but against the odds, he has managed to accomplish a feat few else will.

In addition to the ivies, Coffey has also been offered full rides at George Washington University and Howard University.

When asked the secret to his striking success, the academic wunderkind says, "If you come here and you know exactly what you want to do and have the determination to do the work, you will be successful here."

ole low achievin' ass nicca.  smh.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 11:29am
*chuckles* Sexy.....gurllllll....

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 11:38am
 I think both boys should go to Yale.  black people I know who have gone there tend to like it.  My hs boyfriend cried when he didn't get into Yale.

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 12:06pm
dp

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 12:12pm

it's 2014 and so many still worship whites

it's disgusting and the people that do it are trash

WE messed up in the head...so sad

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

I think both boys should go to Yale.  black people I know who have gone there tend to like it.  My hs boyfriend cried when he didn't get into Yale.

Does Yale offer loan free financial aid yet like Harvard? That might play into the decision as well for the DC kid.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 12:25pm

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Does Yale offer loan free financial aid yet like Harvard? That might play into the decision as well for the DC kid.

I THINK so. Not 100% certain.
And these are good institutions I don't think it has anything to do w/whiteness and it's rare for ANYONE to be accepted into every single Ivy League, black or white.  And I love HU but the resources and facilities available to me while there are very different from those available to me at a PWI.  I don't begrudge HU for that at all, but it is what it is.

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 12:27pm
Kudos to both of them.

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 1:20pm
congrats to both of them. 

I would imagine they are spending a lot of time talking to department chairs and current students of the whatever  major they want to study. 

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 1:26pm
That's great. I wonder if he applied to any other schools like Stanford or Northwestern.

I bet the valedictorian is salty

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 3:17pm

Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

meanwhile in DC, 

Only? How many blacks, asians or whites get accepted to 5? It is not often, gifted kids are the minority, regardless of race.
The comment "not your typical black" rubbed me the wrong way, like blacks are unintelligent, as it was a walk in the park for whites to get accepted to even ONE Ivy League.

Both teenagers are intelligent and gifted, regardless of their background. It is not where you are from or where your parents are from, but what you do. The one accepted in five Ivy Leagues was the son of a poor single mom, and the one accepted by 8 was the son of doctors who now work as nurses, so both had a different backgrounds, different life situations, yet they both achieved something that is quite difficult for kids of any race.

And I don't see anything wrong with him choosing an Ivy League over a black university.

sigh

sarcasm is wasted on the internet

get out your feelings

not my feelings, i replied to what you wrote and continued on what i was going to write about anyways.
but i did not noticed the sarcasm at first thoughOuch

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by MsBMW MsBMW wrote:

it's 2014 and so many still worship whites

it's disgusting and the people that do it are trash

WE messed up in the head...so sad

Can you guys elaborate on that?

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 3:28am
This is why I roll my eyes every time white folks bring up "black" crime stats... they bitch and moan about Black people not doing well and then they still bitch and moan when black people do well

These Reddit Users Can't Get How A Black Student Got Into All 8 Ivy League Schools

The Huffington Post  | by  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emily-thomas" rel="nofollow - Emily Thomas
Posted: Updated:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/03/kwasi-enin-reddit-ivy-leauge-racist_n_5079680.html?view=print&comm_ref=false" rel="nofollow - Print Article
KWASI

Earlier this week http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/01/kwasi-enin-ivy-league_n_5067211.html" rel="nofollow - the Internet met Kwasi Enin, a student who got accepted into all eight Ivy League universities. It’s an impressive feat for any student to accomplish; however, some commenters on Reddit are claiming the 17-year-old student from Long Island, N.Y., didn’t get accepted based on his merit alone.

In a racially fueled Reddit thread centered around Enin’s story, many users embroiled by his sweeping acceptance run say he only got in because of his race.

According to information compiled from http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/31/ivy-league-admissions-college-university/7119531/" rel="nofollow - USA Today and http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/01/us/new-york-student-accepted-ivy-league/" rel="nofollow - CNN , Enin scored a 2250 (out of 2400) on his SAT and placed in the 98th percentile of all students. He ranks 11th in his high school class of 647, and he has taken 11 Advanced Placement classes. He volunteers at Stony Brook University Hospital's radiology department, and he sings in his school's a cappella group. He throws shot put and discus for the track and field team, and he consistently lands lead roles in school plays.

Despite the impressive resume, some don’t think it was enough for his 8/8 acceptance rate. Here are a smattering of some of the http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/21vt88/17yearold_accepted_to_all_8_ivy_league_colleges/" rel="nofollow - racially charged Reddit rants in reaction to Enin’s accomplishment:

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/21vt88/17yearold_accepted_to_all_8_ivy_league_colleges/cgh0yb2" rel="nofollow">jonesrr2

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/21vt88/17yearold_accepted_to_all_8_ivy_league_colleges/cgh0wfw" rel="nofollow">usmcplz

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/21vt88/17yearold_accepted_to_all_8_ivy_league_colleges/cgh0tjm" rel="nofollow">hairless

Thankfully, others quickly came to Enin's defense:

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/21vt88/17yearold_accepted_to_all_8_ivy_league_colleges/cgh7dpd" rel="nofollow">coolboobs69

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/21vt88/17yearold_accepted_to_all_8_ivy_league_colleges/cghguj8" rel="nofollow">drawlinnn

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 9:07am
Excellent news... i hope racists whites are having a stroke over this

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 9:23am
He did really well.  Both of the them mentioned in this thread.  Clap

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:29pm

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 10:46pm
1. Black boy gets accepted into 5 Ivy League schools

2. Another Black boy gets accepted into all 8 Ivy League schools

3. Washington Post publishes this article...

What interesting timing Smile

Can we stop obsessing on the Ivy League?

Stanford University (Linda A. Cicero / Stanford News Service)

Stanford University (Linda A. Cicero / Stanford News Service)

Have you heard yet about 17-year-old Kwasi Enin of Shirley, N.Y., who applied to all of the eight schools in the Ivy League and got into every single one? If not, you are, by now, the only one.

The William Floyd High School senior http://bit.ly/1fJt9EU" rel="nofollow - told Newsday that he couldn’t believe it when, one right after the other, the Ivy League schools — Harvard University, Yale University, Princeton University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, the University of Pennsylvania and Brown University — all welcomed him into the class of 2018.

Congratulations to Kwasi Enin. Now can we stop talking about him?

We might as well also congratulate Avery Coffey, 17, a senior at D.C.’s Benjamin Banneker Academic High School, who was admitted to all five of the Ivy League schools – Harvard, Princeton, Yale, the University of Pennsylvania, and Brown — to which he applied, http://newsone.com/3002883/avery-coffey-five-ivy-league-colleges-vie-for-dc-student/" rel="nofollow - according to MyFoxDC.com . Well done. But that’s enough.

It isn’t easy to get into the Ivy League, everybody knows; the admission rate this year was 8.925641 percent, rounding to the nearest millionth of a percentage point, http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/the-ivy-league-admission-rate-8-point-something-something-percent/2014/03/28/558400de-b67e-11e3-8cc3-d4bf596577eb_story.html" rel="nofollow - according to this story by my colleague Nick Anderson, and the schools aren’t shy about telling the world about it. Princeton University http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S39/59/41E61/index.xml?section=topstories" rel="nofollow - issued a news release with this headline: “Princeton offers admission to 7.28 percent of applicants.” The lowest admit rate in the Ivy League was Harvard, at 5.9 percent, but as it turns out, Stanford University on the West Coast had an even lower percentage — 5.07 (the .07 is important), the lowest in the school’s storied history.

Now that we’ve settled that,  can schools reconsider sending out the annual brag sheet about all those kids who didn’t get in? And can we please stop talking about who got into the Ivy League, or Stanford, or any other school? You’d think with all the emphasis put on these schools that lots of kids go there. They don’t. In fact, the percentage of kids who go to highly selective schools is a very tiny percentage of the teens who go to college. Way less than 1 percent.

Furthermore, college admissions have become something akin to a crap shoot. It used to be that college admissions counselors could predict which students would get in where. Now they can’t. http://www.nacacnet.org/media-center/PressRoom/2014/Pages/SOCA2013.aspx" rel="nofollow - A release summarizing the 2013 State of College Admissions report issued by the National Association for College Admissions Counseling said:

The report also suggests that that U.S. post-secondary institutions are less able to predict enrollment trends today than they were 10 years ago, as evidenced by declining “yield rates” — the number of accepted applicants that ultimately decide to attend a college—as well as the increasing numbers of students placed on wait lists.

Talented kids who have figured out how to cure a disease or time travel get rejected from schools just as often as they get accepted.  And there’s this: The low admit races have a lot to do with the enormous number of applications schools receive but many, if not most, come from students who aren’t close to being qualified.

Kids today apply to more colleges than kids of yesterday, so schools get more applications. And as many admissions deans will tell you, admission to a school doesn’t mean that a particular student is “better” than other applicants but that he/she fits into a particular spot in the college’s overall demographics scheme. If a student is a piano virtuoso but there are two in the applicant pool and the school wants a violinist, one of the pianists is out of luck. That’s really the way it works.

In polite company most people prefer not to talk about their salaries or their sex lives. Can we add — except among family and close friends — where kids got into college?

For those young people who didn’t get into the schools they wanted, they can take to heart these words of the late David Nyhan who wrote a now famous Boston Globe column in 1987 that was later updated called http://boston.com/lifestyle/family/articles/2008/03/10/the_college_rejection_letter/?page=2" rel="nofollow - “The college rejection letter” that says in part:

Look at some people who’ve accomplished a lot and see where they started. Ronald Reagan? Eureka College. Jesse Jackson? They wouldn’t let him play quarterback in the Big Ten, so he quit Illinois for North Carolina A & T. Do you know that the recently retired chairmen and CEOs of both General Motors and General Electric graduated from UMass? Bob Dole? He went to Washburn Municipal University.

The former minority leader of the United States Senate, Tom Daschle, went to South Dakota State. The former speaker of the US House of Representatives, J. Dennis Hastert, went to Northern Illinois University. Dick Armey, the former House majority leader, took a bachelor’s degree from Jamestown College. Winston Churchill? He was so slow a learner that they used to write to his mother to come take this boy off our hands.

I know what you think: Spare me the sympathy. It still hurts. But let’s keep this in perspective. What did Magic Johnson say to the little boy who also tested HIV positive? ”You’ve got to have a positive attitude.” What happens when you don’t keep a positive attitude? Don’t ask.

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 10:49pm
This is amazing

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 3:58am
Nice article.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 5:45pm
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 5:52pm
I wish this was my kid. 

Lord the praise and tears would never stop.

God bless him, and I hope he continues to excel! Clap

Print Page | Close Window