Print Page | Close Window

Schools increasingly check students for obesity...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369590
Printed Date: Dec 14 2018 at 1:34am

Topic: Schools increasingly check students for obesity...
Posted By: Az~Maverick
Subject: Schools increasingly check students for obesity...
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:29pm
Opinions? Geek

CHULA VISTA, Calif. (AP) — The Chula Vista school district not only measures the academic progress of Marina Beltran's second-grader, it also measures her son's body fat.

Schools measure students for obesity: Rice Elementary School Principal Ernesto Villanueva: In this March 14, 2014 picture, Rice Elementary School Principal Ernesto Villanueva slaps hands with students during an early morning running program at an elementary school in Chula Vista, Calif.

Every two years, Antonio Beltran, like his classmates, steps on a scale. Trained district personnel also measure his height and then use the two figures to calculate his body mass index, an indicator of body fat.

The calculation isn't reported to Beltran or her son, who cannot see the readout on the scale that has a remote display. Instead it's used by the district to collect local data on children's weight.

Beltran supports her son's school in measuring students because the data has brought in help to address obesity, which can lead to diabetes and other illnesses tied to a lifetime of poor habits.

But the practice hasn't been embraced everywhere.

Other school districts have angered parents and eating disorder groups by conducting screenings to identify overweight children and send home what critics call obesity report cards or "fat letters."

Amid the nation's childhood obesity epidemic, schools in nearly a quarter of all states record body mass index scores, measuring hundreds of thousands of students.

Some, like the Chula Vista Elementary School District, do what is known as surveillance, in which students are measured to identify how many are at risk for weight-related health problems but they remain anonymous. Other districts do screenings to track the weight of individual students and notify parents whose children are classified at an unhealthy weight.

Chula Vista is being touted for its methods that have resulted in motivating the community to take action. When nearly 25,000 students were measured in 2010, it discovered about 40 percent of its children were obese or overweight.

Officials used the data to make a color-coded obesity map of the district and showed the community. Instead of creating a stir, the information acted as a distress call, bringing in help. Schools boosted partnerships with doctors. They planted gardens, banned cupcakes at school birthdays, and tracked kids' activity levels.

"I've seen a dramatic change," Beltran said of her son, who now eats carrots and looks forward to running club.

Chula Vista's program — which measures students in grades kindergarten through sixth grade — differs from California's state-mandated program for fifth, seventh and ninth graders that screens students and notifies parents of the scores.

Vicki Greenleaf said she received what she called a "fat letter" in the mail last summer from the Los Angeles Unified School District. Her daughter does Brazilian martial arts four times a week and is built like Olympic gold medalist Mary Lou Retton, but was classified as overweight by the state-mandated body mass index screening program, she said.

Critics say body mass index can be misleading for muscular body types.

Greenleaf, a spokeswoman for the National Eating Disorders Association, said her daughter knew about the screening's limitations but other children's self-esteem could be seriously harmed by such notifications.

"I think those letters make kids feel bad about themselves," she said. "For a kid that is predisposed to an eating disorder, those are the kind of triggers that can set it off."

Massachusetts in October stopped requiring schools notify parents when a child scores high after receiving reports that the data was not safeguarded enough, "leading to alarm, confusion or embarrassment," according to the state's public health department. Parents can request the results.

"The current policies to protect student data are pretty inconsistent and at times woefully inadequate," said James Steyer, CEO of the San Francisco-based nonprofit Common Sense Media, which reviews technology and children's privacy.

Little is known about the outcomes of school-based measurement programs, including effects on attitudes, and behaviors of youth and their families. As a result, no consensus exists on their utility for young people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Schools, over medical clinics, have the advantage of having access to the largest number of children. The local data is valuable to researchers who have had a dearth of childhood obesity information, and it can be used to pinpoint places that need help, said Dr. Matt Longjohn, an assistant adjunct professor in the Departments of Pediatrics and Preventive Medicine at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine.

"If parents knew the facts — that obesity solutions may be being applied to their communities inequitably or inadequately without this data — they would support this," Longjohn said.

Statewide childhood obesity rates in Arkansas have remained relatively stable since it became the first state in 2003 to mandate school-based screenings.

Arkansas has become a model for how to do it, as well as Chula Vista's school district, along with San Diego County's Health and Human Services Agency, which also now records children's body mass index scores, Longjohn said.

A kit by Chula Vista for other schools recommends a professional digital scale with a remote display so only trained staff sees the number, and not listing children's names in any report. Mirroring CDC's guidance for schools, staff explains to parents how the information will be used and they can opt out.

The district found that schools with the most overweight students were in the poorest areas and had the smallest number of parks and the highest concentration of fast-food restaurants.

Beltran said the map motivated parents, but they would have been uncomfortable if officials had issued body fat report cards.

"Nobody wants to feel attacked or put on the offensive by being singled out," she said. "So it helped that we were told we're all in this together."

The cafeteria at Lilian J. Rice Elementary, Antonio Beltran's school, now offers fruit and vegetables from local farms and eliminated chocolate milk. Parent Teacher Association fundraisers sell bracelets and magazines instead of nachos and candy.

In 2012, the district measured again and found obesity rates dropped by 3 percent and the number of students in the normal weight range increased by 3 percent — meaning about 750 students had moved down a level.

"We're not yet where we want to be, but we're close," Principal Ernesto Villanueva said. "Considering 80 percent of our most common disease could be prevented by changing what we eat, that's pretty powerful stuff."

Students will be measured again this fall.

http://news.msn.com/us/schools-increasingly-check-students-for-obesity?ocid=fbmsnnews" rel="nofollow - http://news.msn.com/us/schools-increasingly-check-students-for-obesity?ocid=fbmsnnews

Replies:
Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:45pm

hmmmmm.........

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:47pm
Welp if you have no problem with the school feeding your child free breakfast and lunch so your lazy irresponsible self doesn't have to, then you shouldn't have any problem with them measuring its effects.

And if this helps make a case for more recreational areas and increased access to high quality food for the community then everybody should read those fat letters with a smile on their face.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:54pm
The man in the picture stomach hanging over his Belt need to shut up . No school is going to check my daughter . We have a doctor  . I know a lot kids are obese . Parents need to stop feeding kids to death . I would only back a school if the child became ill often . Can't particpate in gym for example .

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Welp if you have no problem with the school feeding your child free breakfast and lunch so your lazy irresponsible self doesn't have to, then you shouldn't have any problem with them measuring its effects.

And if this helps make a case for more recreational areas and increased access to high quality food for the community then everybody should read those fat letters with a smile on their face.
Hmm maybe I'm not the only one who needs to learn some empathyErmm

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:00pm
Breakfast is a good thing Maysay from what i witness . Many parents only have a short time to drop children off at different schools before work .

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:01pm

kids are really obese these days though...its horrible.

i knew a 4 year old girl that weighed 120 poundsOuch

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Hmm maybe I'm not the only one who needs to learn some empathyErmm

I have empathy for a lot of people and situations.

But not feeding your kids just gets my goat. I just can't deal with it. There are too many options: WIC, food stamps, food pantry, begging, and working.

There's just no reason you can't crack open a 49cent can of beans so your baby won't be hungry. And if life is really at that point then your child needs to be placed somewhere else.

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Breakfast is a good thing Maysay from what i witness . Many parents only have a short time to drop children off at different schools before work .

Oh it definitely is. Kids need to eat. Can't learn on an empty stomach.

I just have lots of issues with the school breakfast/lunch program. I think all students should have access to food, but the food should be of a higher caliber and parents should pay for it (either in money or volunteer time or SOMETHING). But I'd much rather parents feed their own children.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:08pm
Property tax....income tax....sales tax.......

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:14pm
when you drop your kids off at a childcare center they're expected to feed them...same applies to schools.

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:14pm

Oh it definitely is. Kids need to eat. Can't learn on an empty stomach.

I just have lots of issues with the school breakfast/lunch program. I think all students should have access to food, but the food should be of a higher caliber and parents should pay for it (either in money or volunteer time or SOMETHING). But I'd much rather parents feed their own children.
I agree the food is awful . My daughter will only purchase on hot dog day . Chocolate pancakes for lunch would make me ill .

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:15pm

Welp if you have no problem with the school feeding your child free breakfast and lunch so your lazy irresponsible self doesn't have to, then you shouldn't have any problem with them measuring its effects.

oh is that the purpose of school lunches and breakfast? Sleepy Ermm

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:20pm
I think it's a good idea to help out parents that either can't afford health insurance or don't care. Keeping kids healthy and fed correctly means they can keep going to school and get an education.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:20pm
I mean, if parents could afford to pay for lunch/breakfast then their kids wouldn't qualify to receive free breakfast/lunch...

Anyways, I am not against schools weighing all the kids at school.

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I mean, if parents could afford to pay for lunch/breakfast then their kids wouldn't qualify to receive free breakfast/lunch...

Anyways, I am not against schools weighing all the kids at school.

I concur, we were weighed in P.E in elementary school.

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Welp if you have no problem with the school feeding your child free breakfast and lunch so your lazy irresponsible self doesn't have to, then you shouldn't have any problem with them measuring its effects.

The purpose is so that kids whose parents "can't afford" to feed them don't suffer all day going without food. Which is definitely not ok, and why I support the program.

But I think any parent who "can't afford" to feed their child breakfast and lunch is lazy and irresponsible. There are too many ways to provide your child with a basic meal.

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:26pm
F8, did y'all get the basic eye exams, scoliosis tests and hearing tests?

I use to get nervous for the scoliosis test.LOL

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:30pm

Dannnnggg!!!What type of school did you go to?Ouch

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:30pm

The purpose is so that kids whose parents "can't afford" to feed them don't suffer all day going without food. Which is definitely not ok, and why I support the program.

But I think any parent who "can't afford" to feed their child breakfast and lunch is lazy and irresponsible. There are too many ways to provide your child with a basic meal.

you are if anything consistent

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:31pm

eh---your parents were lazy irresponsible for not taking you to the doctor

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:32pm
Oh and just in case this might help someone...it's possible to feed a family of 8 on 40cents a day.
http://theprudenthomemakerblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/eat-for-40-day-introduction.html

I understand everyone doesn't have a garden, or a bulk freezer, or a car to get to costco, or access to every single low cost item. Doesn't mean it's impossible for people to feed their kids.

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:34pm

eh---your parents were lazy irresponsible for not taking you to the doctor
Gurl. They let me sit around concussed when I was in elementary and we had military insurance. I woke up off the pavement so they assumed I was good to go.OuchLOL

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:39pm
Wait, What,LOL
I knew this girl who had scoliosis, and this dumb guy who tried to get at her didn't know what Scoliosis was.

Girl: Yea, my scoliosis is the reason why I walk like that.

Dumb Guy: What! I thought you were trying to have a sexy walkConfused

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:39pm

The man in the picture stomach hanging over his Belt need to shut up . No school is going to check my daughter . We have a doctor  . I know a lot kids are obese . Parents need to stop feeding kids to death . I would only back a school if the child became ill often . Can't particpate in gym for example .
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:42pm
Its not that serious to me......this is for the morbidly obese kid whose parents need to have a lil talk with child welfare before the kids ends up with diabetes

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:42pm
I was cool with it til they said cupcakes are banned at birthdays Sleepy What kind of bullsh*t is that?

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:51pm
BB, bring some veggie cups with fat free ranch for birthdays! MmmMmm!LOL

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 9:54pm

Maysay what am i going to do with you lol . Some parents are so poot cereal equals dinner 4 nights out of week . I help and listen to parents that really try . People need more money for a hard days work . The working poor is booming , but you can come to america and own your own business and never hire anyone .

Most of the people that use medicaid in the ER are arabic . I know a lady that owns a shell gas with all free goverment assistance , yet they are trying to test for drugs and hurt the children . Many people smoke weed . I tried it back in the day . Takes a while to test negative even if you quit . We have enough people going to bed hungry . Most of the people are not lazy . Trust me .

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 10:04pm

Maysay what am i going to do with yiou lol . Some parents are so poot cereal equals dinner 4 nights out of week . I help and listen to parents that really try . People need more money for a hard days work . The working poor is booming , but you can come to america and own your own business and never hire anyone .

Most of the people that use medicaid in the ER are arabic . I know a lady that owns a shell gas with all free goverment assistance , yet they are trying to test for drugs and hurt the children . Many people smoke weed . I tried it back in the day . Takes a while to test negative even if you quit . We have enough people going to bed hungry . Most of the people are not lazy . Trust me .

Lol it's already too late India.

I know it's hard out here for folks. All I can do is keeping doing my part. People may not like my opinions but oh well. I'll just keep paying my taxes to support these programs, doing volunteer work, voting for livable wages/affordable housing/education/access to health care and all the other stuff I do. I might be thinking some janky thoughts as I do it, but I'll still do it because overall I believe that all humans deserve shelter, food, healthcare, education, safety and security.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:09am

Oh and just in case this might help someone...it's possible to feed a family of 8 on 40cents a day.
http://theprudenthomemakerblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/eat-for-40-day-introduction.html

I understand everyone doesn't have a garden, or a bulk freezer, or a car to get to costco, or access to every single low cost item. Doesn't mean it's impossible for people to feed their kids.

who tf has time to do all this sh*t, work to pay bills and raise a family too?
Chile please

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 10:21am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Wait, What,LOL
I knew this girl who had scoliosis, and this dumb guy who tried to get at her didn't know what Scoliosis was.

Girl: Yea, my scoliosis is the reason why I walk like that.

Dumb Guy: What! I thought you were trying to have a sexy walkConfused

Ouch

I have scoliosis and get compliments on my walk all the time.

I've even won a few charity runway walk competitions.

My walk IS sexy damnabbit!

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 10:34am

I did all the way up to high school, but I went to school in new jersey and graduated in florida. Lets just say my high school in florida didn't give a fucc about our health

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 11:07am
^NC didn't care either.Ermm

Scoliosis gives you a sexy walk? Maybe I need a touch of that because...lol

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 11:34am
Lets be honest here, if people are feeding their kids top ramen which one package is 2 servings, and daily they are given processed foods like hot pockets, pizza rolls, chicken nuggets then gaining weight is no surprise. 

We all know Trader Joes and eating healthy is expensive as hell. Yeah we can argue then their poverty line living self has no business with 4 kids but it aint gone make then vanish.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

Chile please

I took a look. This woman and her husband have 9 kids and she home schools them all while he works.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 11:56am
are they usiung that statistically flawed bmi?

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:13pm

Sick  sounds so gross LOL

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:23pm

Maysay what am i going to do with you lol . Some parents are so poot cereal equals dinner 4 nights out of week . I help and listen to parents that really try . People need more money for a hard days work . The working poor is booming , but you can come to america and own your own business and never hire anyone .

Girl you ain't neva lied with this one. 

I thought  FOR SURE I was clean, hadn't smoked in 4 months and the charge nurse tested my piss and said "You been smoking?". I was done. Cry

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Sick  sounds so gross LOL

It is bbpants just eat your cupcakes

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

Chile please

I took a look. This woman and her husband have 9 kids and she home schools them all while he works.

I figured she was a homemaker but she struggling for what? Go out and get yourself a job and put them rugrats in public school so yall lives will be better overall.

If you raise your kids right you wont have to worry about the possible damage public school could do etc etc

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:42pm
Eanaj, I need someone to shout 'close your legs!' at her. It's irresponsible to have all of those kids and only one income. What if he gets sick and can't work? Or laid off again?Stern SmileStern Smile

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:54pm
Our high school lunch selections were the bomb. There was no way I was bringing my own lunch. Our school also tested us every year. I have so many of those presidential patches. Unless a child has some sort of condition, there is no reason for them to be obese. Parents have to do better.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:55pm
LOL

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:59pm
I've been homeschooled, been in private schools and public schools. I will never put my child in a public school especially in the "inner city". 

It doesn't matter how well you raise a child some environments do more harm than good. 

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:04pm
there are way too many excellent public schools for such a wide stroke.  

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:24pm
I don't care. 

"I will never put my child in a public school". 

Do what you want. 

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:27pm
oh, i thought you were talking about me.Ermm

just commenting.  public schools. Heart

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:28pm
Public schools made me detest black people for a long time. I wouldn't put my kids there and public schools have so much drugs flowing through, its ridiculous.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:31pm
again, don't say PUBLIC SCHOOLS.  all public schools are not like that. and if kids want to try drugs, they will...whether they're in public or private school.  i've worked in enough public schools to prove any of these theories wrong.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:33pm
I went to public schools though. So you gonna stile my experiences?

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:33pm
It's just that where I live the schools are awful and I don't want my kids in that environment. Very few are decent and the ones that are yt people went to great lengths to make predominately white (stopped the friggen buses and everything). 

I know there are good public schools though, I just like the way private schools are generally ran. Here even the public school teachers admit that their curriculum is more advanced comparatively. I don't know why, but it is. 

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

but why are you acting like your experience is the majority experience?  if you went to a bad school, then you went to a bad school that does not mirror the experience at every public school.

to say the environment in a public school does more harm than good is a broad stroke, like i said.  nothing more, nothing less.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:37pm
Public schools are worst lack of funding, lack of parent involvement, weak course work across the board, its all around crappy education. I rather spend top dollar if I can't do homeschooling. Or move overseas to a nation with good education.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

but why are you acting like your experience is the majority experience?  if you went to a bad school, then you went to a bad school that does not mirror the experience at every public school.

to say the environment in a public school does more harm than good is a broad stroke, like i said.  nothing more, nothing less.
No one said that, though. 

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

No one said that, though. 

I've been homeschooled, been in private schools and public schools. I will never put my child in a public school especially in the "inner city". 

It doesn't matter how well you raise a child some environments do more harm than good. 

ook...were you talking about an environment other than public school?

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 2:51pm
also, if you can afford private school, you can probably also afford to live in a better neighborhood, with better public schools.  no point in going to pvt school and living in the hood.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:01pm
I was talking about schools in the inner city, and yes, I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that those do not provide the best environment. 

Regardless, why do you care what I or someone else feels regarding the public school system? It varies by where you live. If you live somewhere where the public schools are great. Peachy! I don't...so my comment still stands. I was very specific that I was referring to myself and future children.

No. You can live in a neighborhood with houses 100,000+ and still be zoned for horrible schools. A horrible school system is not indicative of living in a horrible neighborhood. 

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:02pm
Don't live in the hood and probably it will be overseas.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:04pm
I wouldn't mind sending my child to a private school if the public schools are not up to par where I live. My only issue is that I have no idea if there are private schools that are non-religious. 

Posted By: ragincajin
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:09pm

I wouldn't mind sending my child to a private school if the public schools are not up to par where I live. My only issue is that I have no idea if there are private schools that are non-religious. 

Yes. There are plenty that don't have a religious component if that where your needs take you.

Good luck!!

Eta: Some of the best prep schools in the US are secular.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:11pm
^Awesome!

Living in the bible belt, I mainly see religious based private schools and I got a little discouraged.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:13pm

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I was talking about schools in the inner city, and yes, I'm pretty sure the general </span>consensus<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> is that those do not provide the best environment. </span>

Regardless, why do you care what I or someone else feels regarding the public school system? It varies by where you live. If you live somewhere where the public schools are great. Peachy! I don't...so my comment still stands. I was very specific that I was referring to myself and future children.

No. You can live in a neighborhood with houses 100,000+ and still be zoned for horrible schools. A horrible school system is not indicative of living in a horrible neighborhood. 

Why do I care? I'm not that invested but I guess you forgot what a discussion forum is...

And yes, a bad school district being zoned in decent neighborhoods happens but u know, broad strokes.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:46pm
well if your property taxes are low and you live in an economically depressed area-your public schools will likely suck.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:48pm
My children will learn everything they need to learn no matter where they go.
I'm in control of that as their parent.

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 5:31pm

Public schools are worst lack of funding, lack of parent involvement, weak course work across the board, its all around crappy education. I rather spend top dollar if I can't do homeschooling. Or move overseas to a nation with good education.

This is not true for all public schools in the USA. My son will attend public schools from k-12 and will start next year. Did you have AP or magnet classes iliveforbhm ?

A parent should be involved with ALL school work. Public school in any area can be great. Just make sure YOU play--- an active role within your school distinct PTA, school broad meetings, volunteer and etc. . . .
75% of education responsibility for children = parents--------- not the school.
You need to give them extra homework, pay for extra classes i.e. chess club, and after school college prep classes.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 7:18pm

also, if you can afford private school, you can probably also afford to live in a better neighborhood, with better public schools.  no point in going to pvt school and living in the hood.

Now now.....LOL

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 7:23pm
i refuse to pay for private school prior to college. i plan to live in good district or send them to public schools that take the best and the brightest from across the district (they are called "magnet" schools where i'm from).

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 7:30pm
what's funny is i from time to time have had friends or colleagues brag about private school education, while sitting next to me who came out of pocket less than $15,000 on my entire education including graduate school and several certifications. and we both wind up at the same place in our careers and i actually am younger. i keep my mouth shut and wonder if they only knew..

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 9:34pm
Not much to add but all states needs to make physical enducation/gym mandatory and if possible, bring back recess *wishful thinking*.  My anecdotal story: several years ago when I was subbing, I encountered a sixth grader who was around 5'8 or so but he had to be around 250 pounds or more.  He was an asshole but I guess I was looking at him with pure disgust but honestly I couldn't help it.  I have a horrible poker face.

Print Page | Close Window