Print Page | Close Window

Boil washing clothes, growing own food

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369589
Printed Date: Jul 05 2020 at 4:12am

Topic: Boil washing clothes, growing own food
Posted By: naturesgift
Subject: Boil washing clothes, growing own food
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 5:50pm
Returning to the old ways... Do any of you have urban gardens, collect rain water or clean your clothing in ways other than washing machines?

Replies:
Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 5:58pm
I tried boil washing this year and failed. I will try again in a month or so. No room for a growing food. Might have to use a neighborhood garden.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:01pm
Love hand washing/ tub washing.

I became fun for me
I got one of those hand washing plunger like things.
I go through the whole cycle..

Relieves a lot of stress

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I tried boil washing this year and failed. I will try again in a month or so. No room for a growing food. Might have to use a neighborhood garden.
That's what I thought NO room but I got these stack pots

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:08pm
i love hand washing.  i wash my underwear in the shower daily.  for other small items i go way old school and use a washing board.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:09pm

Do you know how to iron clothes with your hands ? My mother taught me . I thought she was loosing it until i left home broke lol . I gow everything possible in my garden .  I have my grandmother old wringer washer . Wonderful, but you have to be careful .The main roller will knock you out. 

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:17pm
I mostly hand wash and air dry my clothes...just bc I'm lazy. I figure I'm getting in the shower might as well wash stuff while I'm in there.

In general I'm working towards living a sustainable, low-grid lifestyle. I'd love a small cabin in the woods. I'm not a huge fan of growing food...bc I'm lazy. But I wouldn't mind growing the stuff I like (like watermelon) and having fruit trees.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I mostly hand wash and air dry my clothes...just bc I'm lazy. I figure I'm getting in the shower might as well wash stuff while I'm in there.

In general I'm working towards living a sustainable, low-grid lifestyle. I'd love a small cabin in the woods. I'm not a huge fan of growing food...bc I'm lazy. But I wouldn't mind growing the stuff I like (like watermelon) and having fruit trees.

hub would like this.
I'll write.LOL

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:23pm
honestly i'm not really interested in messing up my manicure

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:26pm
Used to hand wash, my dad was used to doing that in Jamaica, but the washing machine was much better.

Posted By: NARSAddict
I handwash certain items because they tend to pill up if I toss it in the HE washer.  I don't have the energy to look after a garden and plus the squirrels or thieving ass folks would take whatever I grow.

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

yes. this stops me from doing a lot of things that I fully know how to do.

judge?LOL

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 7:02pm
I know how to use and have a wash board, the clothes plunger thing, the tin pail, the stove iron etc how to hang a clothes line etc and i think that it is great to have the items and the skill in case the electrical grid goes down or in case or catastrophe like hurricane/tornado etc where power couldbe out for weeks, but with Gwds will, i will never have to live like i am in the early 1900s and will never have to bathe in a tin pail and wash clothes in it. yes i can till/mulch/fertilize/plant& harvest a garden, compost, can/bottle fruit & vegetable, make moonshine brandy & wine and also know how to make candles from castor seeds and how to make lye soap from ash & lard. i thank my ancestors for giving me my mom & my grannies.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 7:05pm
I started making soap as a hobby.
I'm getting good.

It takes so long for the soaps to set but I love it.
I found I hate glycerin based soaps.

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 7:41pm
That's why I left Africa. I'll pass. 

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by indiecat indiecat wrote:

Used to hand wash, my dad was used to doing that in Jamaica, but the washing machine was much better.

I cant hand wash clothesEmbarrassed except an undershirt or so but I hand wash undies and bras those never go in the machine. My helper hand washes certain clothes but towels, bed clothes go in the washing machine. I can bathe with a gallon or less of water though. I don't use the washing board or the plunger (doubt the plunger is sold here) just me and my hands going scips scrips scrips. lately Ive been wearing but esp. when I have my mani, I told the girls at the nail place and they looked at me like I wash a freakCryCry

I have too many fruit trees to go hungry including breadfruit which is a starch. There may be a compost somewhere out back I dunno. We have candles, kerosene lamps but no kerosene. We have a coal stove but no coal. We have a drum to catch rainwater but its never been opened

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:49pm
As I've gotten older, I've become more cognizant of my carbon footprint and living a simpler lifestyle.

I do hand wash some (not all of my clothing).  I'm working towards growing my own food (would love to have my own garden one day) and sewing majority of my clothing. 

I'm a HUGE advocate of people knowing what they are putting in their bodies. 
Whenever my family comes over, they jokingly tell me that I "eat like a white person" but whateverrrrrr. lol.

It's always a good idea to know where your food comes from, whether that means growing your own food or buying food that is growing right/naturally (minimal to no GMOs, chemicals, hormone fed animals, etc). I think one of the main reasons that our generation is seeing so many new diseases/sickness is because of all of the chemicals we are pumping into our body via the food we eat. But that's another topic all together. 

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

I used to say the same thing until I discovered that gloves are your best friend.

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 11:10pm
I just backspaced the funniest comment but it was insensitive.

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by herwoman herwoman wrote:

I just backspaced the funniest comment but it was insensitive.

post it

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 8:58pm
I would love to do more of this to go more off the grid.  I'm tired of being dependent of "the system" for everything.

To the ladies concerned about manicure, rubber gloves are your friends.Wink

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 9:12pm
lawd, i can't even keep up with regular laundry in the machine if i don't do a load a day. i think we wear too many clothes, i'd need a whole army to do this.

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 9:34pm
I help grow some of my food in a community co-op garden. If you live in a city a lot of them have something like it. I grow cucumbers and peppers in my plot. Other members grow whatever and we take from each other what we need. I love it :)

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

I help grow some of my food in a community co-op garden. If you live in a city a lot of them have something like it. I grow cucumbers and peppers in my plot. Other members grow whatever and we take from each other what we need. I love it :)

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 9:45pm
I do patronize local farmers (and my sister's gardens lol) .  Hub grows a few things.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 9:52pm
we grow several things 

i say 'we' loosely. im not about that life unless i can be assured there are no animals i fear. 
i did buy penis shaped bell pepper seeds and a flower that really resembles a vagina for it though. but they havent been planted yet.. 
i think i would be into gardening if i wasnt scared 

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 10:06pm
my sister grows peas & beans, greens, carrots, yams, melon, tomatoes, corn,  and a bunch of herbs and stuff.

also  apples, peaches, pears,cherries,  berries, etc
(they have some nut trees too)

I'll probably eventually be that way.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 9:13am
http://www.ted.com/playlists/132/ryan_coogler_6_talks_that_ins

I want to do this kinda who's with me, CHANGE THE SOIL,
food the problem and the soultion!

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:33am
My mom handwashed every single thing. I cant do it.
I only handwash whites .

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:34am
been seriously thinking of planting some ground provisions in the backyard. 

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:39am
Originally posted by purple.chuckz purple.chuckz wrote:

That's why I left Africa Cuba. I'll pass. 

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:43am
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

I know how to use and have a wash board, the clothes plunger thing, the tin pail, the stove iron etc how to hang a clothes line etc and i think that it is great to have the items and the skill in case the electrical grid goes down or in case or catastrophe like hurricane/tornado etc where power couldbe out for weeks, but with Gwds will, i will never have to live like i am in the early 1900s and will never have to bathe in a tin pail and wash clothes in it. yes i can till/mulch/fertilize/plant& harvest a garden, compost, can/bottle fruit & vegetable, make moonshine brandy & wine and also know how to make candles from castor seeds and how to make lye soap from ash & lard. i thank my ancestors for giving me my mom & my grannies.

We are >><<

One of our plans is to have a place that can be completely sustainable off grid

I lived through two hurricanes that wiped out all utilities and I was shocked at how well I adjusted

And it came down to those early lessons of life

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:46am
I'm too lazy for all of that. I'll make an effort to recycle but that's about it.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:48am
i hear you Rumbera

When I came back after the last hurricane, I thought I'd keep up with the hand washing and what not, that lasted one good time and it was back to the washing machine

There are certain pieces I still hand wash but certainly not the whole load, I ain't got time for that

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:09pm
yes/yes and i'm steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel fancy...Cool

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:38pm
2014 garden (i work in my parents garden a few times a week and have ten huge mosquito bites to prove it):

cucumbers
spinach
beans
mustard greens
tomatoes
peppers
grapes
strawberries
blackberries
peach tree
plum tree

i forgot at least 1-2 hardy green items...i'll update when i remember

Sweet potatos (In a pot so that they will be more abundant than in the ground soil)

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

yes/yes and i'm steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel fancy...Cool

you go girl lol

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:39pm
We made a vegetable garden with gardensoxx and smart pots so I can move them where I want when they're grown... like a flower arrangement 

Print Page | Close Window