Print Page | Close Window

Bank Accidentally Deposits $31k in Teens Account.

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369531
Printed Date: Nov 18 2017 at 6:33am

Topic: Bank Accidentally Deposits $31k in Teens Account.
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Bank Accidentally Deposits $31k in Teens Account.
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:16am
you already know how this went downLOL

http://gawker.com/bank-accidentally-deposits-31k-in-teens-account-hero-1552818208" rel="nofollow - Bank Accidentally Deposits $31k in Teen's Account, Hero Teen Spends It

http://gawker.com/bank-accidentally-deposits-31k-in-teens-account-hero-1552818208?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow#" rel="nofollow -

Taylor Berman

http://tcberman.kinja.com" rel="nofollow -

Bank Accidentally Deposits $31k in Teen's Account, Hero Teen Spends ItExpand

Earlier this month, a bank teller http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2014-03-25/bank-wants-hull-teen-return-31000-wrongly-placed-his-account" rel="nofollow - accidentally deposited $31,000 into a teenager's bank account. The teen did the sensible thing and immediately started buying sh*t, spending more than $25,000 in just ten days.

On March 7, a customer at a Athens, Ga. bank attempted to deposit $31,000 into his account at First Citizens Bank. But, as it turns out, there was more than one customer at the bank with the man's name, and the teller accidentally deposited the money into the wrong person's account.

The lucky recipient, an 18-year-old kid, apparently checked his account, saw the huge balance, and decided to go on a spending spree. Within ten days, he withdrew $20,000 in cash and spent another $5,000 with his debit card.

When the teen tried to withdraw more money from the bank branch on March 18, a teller told him about the mistake and insisted that he return the money. The teen refused, claiming he'd received it as part of an inheritance from his grandmother.

A Madison County sheriff's deputy drove to the teen's house to further explain the situation and the consequences if the teen doesn't return the money.

From the http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2014-03-25/bank-wants-hull-teen-return-31000-wrongly-placed-his-account" rel="nofollow - Athens Banner-Herald :

The deputy told the teen the bank wants the money back as soon as possible, so the teen told the officer he would go to the bank and try to settle the matter without going to jail, according to the report.

However, the teen never showed back at the bank and banking officials told investigators last week that if the suspect didn't return the money, they would prosecute.

The unnamed teen is an early candidate for http://gawker.com/gawker-heroes-pope-francis-our-blessed-hero-of-reduce-1479124445" rel="nofollow - Gawker Hero of the Year .

http://gawker.com/bank-accidentally-deposits-31k-in-teens-account-hero-1552818208

Replies:
Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:20am
"The teen did the sensible thing and immediately started buying sh*t"

LOL

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:25am
Damn...somebody doesn't have a job anymore...

I wouldn't spend money accidentally put in my account...too easy to trace and you'll probably get stuck paying it back.

Now I find a bag with $31,000, that's a whole other story.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:30am
Let him keep the money!  On monopoly you don't pay back bank errors in your favor.  This is just more, "why couldn'this happen to me news."...I would've used about 10k on something important, having the money act as a loan, and paid them back later.  How long does he have to pay it back?  The installments shouldn't have interest. 

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:35am
He is 18- they will put it on his credit. He needs to make payments arrangements! lol!

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:50am
Goodness so the right thing to do is call the bank and let them know you don't know where the money came from?
Eff thott

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:53am
That happens alllll the time lol they debit the account and put the money back into the right persons account, usually it charges off to collections.

One time someone typed 1,000,000 instead of 1000 and it posted lawd hav mercy

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 12:00pm
one time my bank deposited 10k in my account. i sat there for days thinking about what i should do LOL. eventually they took it out. 

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

LOL

i laughed too when i read thatLOL

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

one time my bank deposited 10k in my account. i sat there for days thinking about what i should do LOL. eventually they took it out. 

Cry chillle LOL

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:23pm
Though it would be tempting I couldn't. The bank would screw you up so bad. They would already know my black behind did it and would work to ruin me. The courts will not give a care for negro folk.Cry

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:27pm
at 18 i cant lie i probably would have spent some of it too...not 25,000 thoughLOL..
when you're a teen you dont really think about the consequences like you should...you just see a whole bunch of money....im sure he went into a frenzy... lol

homie probably went out and got him a new car, apartment, new girl and everything....LOL

poor thing

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:42pm
well he took out 25k cash...he knew that money might disappearLOL
i'd close the acct and move outta town

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

well he took out 25k cash...he knew that money might disappearLOL
i'd close the acct and move outta town

lol DeadLOL

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:53pm
I feel like the teller should be responsible.

....and it's not like you can just go to the ATM and withdraw thousands of dollars. Some idiot at the bank handed him that money. At no point in time they didn't catch this? 

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 3:03pm
If he lets the debt go to collections...It will be written off in 7 years. LOL

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 5:17pm
Man, I would be more tempted than I ever have in all my years on this earth if this ever happened to me.
Could one face jail time behind this?

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 5:29pm
What confuses me is when dude checked his account and didnt see it why didnt he go in

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 6:04pm
Pay off Sallie Mae, arrange repayment plan interest-free with bank

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 7:14pm
I want to know what he bought.

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 7:20pm
Ugh it's tempting but i couldn't and wouldn't spend it

They'd catch my ass eventually

But if i found money on the street then I'd just say God wanted me to find it,!!

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

I feel like the teller should be responsible.

....and it's not like you can just go to the ATM and withdraw thousands of dollars. Some idiot at the bank handed him that money. At no point in time they didn't catch this? 

and this

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 7:34pm
so no one would've went and got their butt done?

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:02pm
She should have confirmed the account.
If it's not collected then it counts as a loss to the bank and she could be fired but the 18 can still be prosecuted.
It's still theft of mislaid property or whatever it's called.

And ppl need to learn their account numbers it's your money after all.
No one should care more than you

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

at 18 i cant lie i probably would have spent some of it too...not 25,000 thoughLOL..
when you're a teen you dont really think about the consequences like you should...you just see a whole bunch of money....<span style="line-height: 1.4;">im sure he went into a frenzy... lol</span>

homie probably went out and got him a new car, apartment, new girl and everything....LOL

poor thing
LOL at new girl.

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:11pm
LOL at him lying about an inheritance from his grandma.

Posted By: cvzx
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:18pm
Meh it's probably insured, either way that branch will have to eat the loss. They'll probably setup a payment plan of some sort.

Posted By: Josephuss
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:25pm
just remember if a large amount of money suddenly appears in your account, it most likely belongs in someone else's account you should feel obligated  to not spend the money so it can return to the rightful owner. Because the same people eager to spend someone else's money, will be the same people ready to tear down the bank  when it's  their money being spent by someone else.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:32pm
The teen did the sensible thing and immediately started buying sh*t,

lmfao.LOLCry

this happened to my mom once. she didnt do anything. and they took it back a couple days laterCryAngry

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 9:03pm
I will be so scared that I wont be able to deposit anything in any banks again with the fear of the placing a block so they could get their funds back, so I would never spend it...I will be so scared they will go to court to garnish wages or something....hell nah

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:20pm
I think I add a good $700 deposited in my account when I was a poor college student. I stared at it with wishful thinking but I never touched it...Ugh...This things I could have done with that money back then

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:07pm
It's the bank's fault. The boy was smart to say it was an inheritance. They need to count it as a loss, fire the teller and keep it moving.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 12:04am
welp.

http://sandrarose.com/2014/03/teen-jailed-after-refusing-to-return-31000-mistakenly-deposited-into-his-account/" rel="nofollow - Teen Jailed After Refusing to Return $31,000 Mistakenly Deposited Into His Account

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Steven Fields mugshot

Steven Fields will have plenty of time on his hands to think about his poor decision making. The 18-year-old Hull, GA man turned himself in on Friday and was charged with theft by taking for  http://sandrarose.com/2014/03/bank-teller-mistakenly-deposits-31000-in-teens-account/" rel="nofollow - refusing to return $25,000  that a teller  http://sandrarose.com/2014/03/bank-teller-mistakenly-deposits-31000-in-teens-account/" rel="nofollow - mistakenly deposited  into his account.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 12:08am
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

LOL

i laughed too when i read thatLOL

Loudly and choked

I feel like if that type of thing happens, the recipient should get to keep it AND the bank should deposit the matching amount to the original owner. As much money as they make, they can take that kind of loss and give us little people some sh*t to look forward to possibly happening to us Cry

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 12:37am
Soooo....

He really thinks keeping the money is worth possible prison time and a permanent record as a thief?

I damn sure wouldn't turn my nose up at $25,000, but its not worth all the mess he's putting himself thru.

Just un-ass those folks money...

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 12:41am
So is the teller being charged as an accessory? 

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 5:59am
I'll transfer the money to another bank account, and then close the account immediately so they don't try to recall the payment.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 6:00am
Originally posted by HeyBeautiful18 HeyBeautiful18 wrote:

Ugh it's tempting but i couldn't and wouldn't spend it

They'd catch my ass eventually

But if i found money on the street then I'd just say God wanted me to find it,!!
 LOLLOL

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 1:54pm
^^they must not know how ruthless banks are LOL

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 2:03pm
how long will he be in jail tho...

Print Page | Close Window