Forum Description: Discussions on Weaves
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369504
Printed Date: Oct 21 2017 at 9:16pm

Topic: Riddle me this - definition of a YouTube review
Posted By: alynxx
Subject: Riddle me this - definition of a YouTube review
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 11:45am
Hi ladies,

I have a question. Say you are a vendor and you ask a youtube person to review your hair. You communicate with that person and you get the impression they are going to install the hair and show people how it looks on. When they post up the video finally it is a video of them running their fingers thru your hair and of course talking about it's good qualites but no install.

Also when you ask them about this they say well I will install it later in the year...even though they said they will review as soon as it arrives. The hair you sell is very high quality and was not cheap for you to even source. Is the vendor just naive to expect the youtuber to review it as an install or should she just charge it to the game?

I am just asking just in case I am the one who is consfused as to what a Youtube hair review means.

Replies:
Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 11:54am
The thing is.....

Before everyone started using dome caps and making U-part wigs, when a review was done it was usually sewn in. Now I overlook any review where the hair was done on a wig cap. You will never know if the reviewer actually even wore the wig, so how can they really give a informed opinion on some hair that was sewn on a cap and worn for a hour while they uploaded the review, did a make up haul and did a smokey eye tutorial.

If I was the vendor I would feel used, if all the reviewer was going to do was run her fingers through the hair on camera that was a waste of some free bundles IMO. Depending on the "guru" they probably have so much hair to choose from now that unless they are changing their install every 30 days there is no way they are really wearing all of that hair.

Posted By: jeli20
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 11:58am
Did the youtube person pay for the hair or was it given to them for free?

edited - okay, if it was given for free and she understand prior to her getting the hair what was expected then... yeh, I would expect a install review.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:04pm

Some YouTube Gurus are TRIFLIN.....yep I said it. They will take the vendors hair...sew it on a cap...wear it for the video. Take the hair off the cap and sell it to a thirsty subscriber. She is wrongggggg. If she agreed to review your product when she receives it...then that's what she should have done. Some people don't have any type of Principle. But at this point you are going to have to charge it to the game.

Next time make up a contract and before sending the hair get a signature whether via the internet or personally. So any sort of violation you can take action.

Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:24pm
Ladies the hair was given free to her and to me a review means that you will actually wear the hair not just show and tell. I asked her can she do a review then when she installs later in the year and she was like "no" I am going to wear it in videos and put the link to you hair company website in the description box which is really no good to me when I sent her £250 worth of hair.
Also the youtuber said that 3 bundles + a closure was not enough for her and that she normally uses 6 to 7 bundles.  Now my hair is always very full and 300g is a lot talk less of 7 bundles even if they are 24 to 26". I am just really upset becuase another Youtuber already took hair from me in January and has been ignoring my emails re a review. She is wearing my hair on Instagram stuntin and has even dyed it but when I messaged her she deleted my comments. I have all the emails of evidence from that one to say she would install it etc but not sure what I can do since she is in the States. Anyway all of this has made me really apprehensive now to deal with less established Youtubers.

Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:27pm
Youtuber in the OP that I described has now said she wants to send the hair back - I guess she feels bad? Anyway I will take it back.

It takes a lot of money, time and effort to start one's own business so this is just a warning to some of you that might want to do this. Be very careful whom you send hair to regarless of how keen they sound at the beginning. I am learning from these mistakes.

Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:46pm
Oh yes vendors please beware. This actual Youtuber was sent hair from my company for review and promised to do one since January but has now been ignoring my emails. I just want to warn people.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xoxojuicyxoxo23/videos" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/xoxojuicyxoxo23/videos

Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:49pm
No shade but why her??? I looked at one of her videos and the wig she made was all kinds of wrong and sitting 7 inches from her hairline..... I have never watched her channel nor would I ever listen to anything she suggested.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:08pm
who dat???...I cant see the video

Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

No shade but why her??? I looked at one of her videos and the wig she made was all kinds of wrong and sitting 7 inches from her hairline..... I have never watched her channel nor would I ever listen to anything she suggested.

She seemed like a nice respectful girl that was just a small Youtuber so I wanted to support her. It is not always about the big names and sometimes those ones want hair and money on top to do reviews.

I am trying to get into the hair magazines more now instead and work with celebrity stylists instead. YT is great but the bad ones spoil the good apples.

Posted By: jeli20
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:15pm
I personally think  that maybe you should just ask some of your customers to do a review. The review will be honest and show a different perspective.  They might not have a lot of youtube viewers but if anyone goes to youtube to look for reviews on your hair - they will see reviews of actual customers. Just a safer way to not lose money.

I personally avoid all youtube guru reviews and look for actual customers.

Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by jeli20 jeli20 wrote:

I personally think  that maybe you should just ask some of your customers to do a review. The review will be honest and show a different perspective.  They might not have a lot of youtube viewers but if anyone goes to youtube to look for reviews on your hair - they will see reviews of actual customers. Just a safer way to not lose money.

I personally avoid all youtube guru reviews and look for actual customers.

I agree Jeli but not all customers want to do a video review tbh. Wande's World has been wearing my hair for a few months now and is supposed to post a review on the weekend. She has been great and wearing the hair as well as signposting people to my instagram when people ask where the hair is from so that is good at least.

Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:47pm
I just saw a post on Aliexpress that if you post a yt video , based on your subscriber amount they will send you free hair. The review game is shady as hell now.

Sorry this is happening to you....

Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 2:13pm

I just saw a post on Aliexpress that if you post a yt video , based on your subscriber amount they will send you free hair. The review game is shady as hell now.

Thanks Princess Grace. I take it as a learning curve. I am going to make sure I have contracts with Youtubers now before sending hair and not just on good faith.

Posted By: GCurly
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:06pm
That's terrible! She is a cow for that one!
If she agreed to do a review, she should be honest and tell you when and she should do a REAL REVIEW! SMH.

I don't do reviews but a good friend of mine is a fairly popular youtuber and she usually does three videos when she is reviewing hair! Even hair she purchased herself! LOL.

She first does a show and tell of the hair when it arrives so the viewers know what to expect with shipping, packaging and what the hair looks like straight out of the pack.
Second video is of the hair installed or made as a wig and will tell what she thinks initially of the hair now that she just installed it.
Last, usually a month later, she does a final review to let everyone know how the hair held up.

Throughout her install she posts photos almost daily and videos (because she is a style blogger) and tags the hair etc.
That is how you review some hair!!! 
SMH.

That girl is not right but at least she is sending the hair back so its not a loss. Just a waste of your time. Sorry :(

The other one in the US who is ignoring the emails... Who does she think she is? SMH.

I am so over people who lie for some damn hair. Seriously!

Posted By: iBetYouhNvNika
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:50pm
Aly

Alot of members here are on yt!
Why not ask hairdelacreme? Or keizz ?
You could even have a member here review it. Offer it at a discounted price or something. Remember, we have tons of lurkers and ppl here looking for good hair !!!
Sheit send me some hair I'll wear ir and review it weekly.

Posted By: iBetYouhNvNika
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:51pm
If I were you id be calling texting skyping emailing & smoke messaging her azz
the nerve .. .

Posted By: 2ndtimearound
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:58pm
I am sorry what happened to you alynxx! Its not right how she did you.

Its a great idea to look for reviewers on this board. I wanted to start a thread days ago, but I can not start a new topic, not even in the newbie section (have no idea why).

Posted By: ladybugj
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by alynxx alynxx wrote:

She seemed like a nice respectful girl that was just a small Youtuber so I wanted to support her. It is not always about the big names and sometimes those ones want hair and money on top to do reviews.

I am trying to get into the hair magazines more now instead and work with celebrity stylists instead. YT is great but the bad ones spoil the good apples.

I totally respect that you chose a not so popular youtuber to review your hair. So many of them receive so much good hair just to wear it once or twice because they have so much to choose from. The bad thing is that the companies actually send them good quality bundles and then the people who pay for the same hair receives garbage bundles. It's best to send the hair to someone who actually sews the hair in. That is really what determines how well the hair holds up because you're sleeping with it,bathing with it and actually washing it while it's on your head.

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 8:40pm
I can't remember who, a youtuber was complaining about a company owner "hounding" her to do a review. Texts, emails, YouTube messages... If you say or imply that you'll review once you receive it and don't, and you didn't pay.... Boo, the least I'm doing is shooting you a text. This is business. If you're backed up, let them know. I'll send it when your less busy

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 6:47am
Originally posted by iBetYouhNvNika iBetYouhNvNika wrote:

Aly

You could even have a member here review it. Offer it at a discounted price or something. Remember, we have tons of lurkers and ppl here looking for good hair !!!

Hiya

I did ask hairdelacreme but she told me she has a few to do and I think Keizz hasn't had a chance to come back to me yet. I would be happy for either of them to review my hair since people would really respect their opinions as BHM ladies.

I didn't want to ask anyone on the open board to review hair as I don't want to seem like I am soliciting etc. If anyone reading does want to review my stuff pm box is open. Might not be for free anymore after my experiences but discounted of course but you must be a BHMer and give me a decent review.Cry

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 7:01am
Thanks ladies for all your support - I really could not have done this whole hair business without the knowledge and expertise I've gotten from BHM. I'm disappointed about this entire experience and the youtuber has now taken that initial video down that she posted yesterday. I posted the hair to her express delivery as well and that was not cheap but alas I won't get that back. At least she is sending the hair back which is worth around £250.00.

I sent 3 x bundles 300g (20 x2, 22 x1) and a 16" closure to the youtuber and they said that it was not enough as they like to wear big hair and they would like 4 more bundles in 24 and 26 inches but I refused becuase I knew that I send full bundles and it is enough for a review. They then said they would buy some more hair off me but when told the price (and I was prepared to discount this as well) they said no  they have some of their own they would add to it. I personally think that 7 bundles of hair is excessive also seeing that I make sure I send 100g bundles for every product unless specified.

Posted By: yayatheprincess
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 7:46am

Thanks ladies for all your support - I really could not have done this whole hair business without the knowledge and expertise I've gotten from BHM. I'm disappointed about this entire experience and the youtuber has now taken that initial video down that she posted yesterday. I posted the hair to her express delivery as well and that was not cheap but alas I won't get that back. At least she is sending the hair back which is worth around £250.00.

I sent 3 x bundles 300g (20 x2, 22 x1) and a 16" closure to the youtuber and they said that it was not enough as they like to wear big hair and they would like 4 more bundles in 24 and 26 inches but I refused becuase I knew that I send full bundles and it is enough for a review. They then said they would buy some more hair off me but when told the price (and I was prepared to discount this as well) they said no  they have some of their own they would add to it. I personally think that 7 bundles of hair is excessive also seeing that I make sure I send 100g bundles for every product unless specified.

wow. now that is ridiculous. they wanted hair for themselves and their best friend. i cannot imagine stuffing seven bundles in my head and i have a BIG head!the only time i could see that being okay is if you had maybe 36 inches because the short weft but 7 bundles of 20-26? uh uh.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 7:48am

Aly

THIS!!LOLLOLLOL swanging and all LOLLL

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:22am

Aly

Hiya

I did ask hairdelacreme but she told me she has a few to do and I think Keizz hasn't had a chance to come back to me yet. I would be happy for either of them to review my hair since people would really respect their opinions as BHM ladies.

I didn't want to ask anyone on the open board to review hair as I don't want to seem like I am soliciting etc. If anyone reading does want to review my stuff pm box is open. Might not be for free anymore after my experiences but discounted of course but you must be a BHMer and give me a decent review.Cry

Hi alynxx, when you said give you a decent review did you mean to say honest review?

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:26am
Originally posted by ladybugj ladybugj wrote:

Hi alynxx, when you said give you a decent review did you mean to say honest review?

i think that both parties already agree to an honest review but she would like a decent one as well. you can be honest and wave bundles in the camera and never use them. she would like someone to actually wear the hair and show their honest opinion, hence the reason she said "decent." decent as in an actual thorough opinion not a "fresh out the pack initial review" and never sewing it in.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:47am
Originally posted by yayatheprincess yayatheprincess wrote:

i think that both parties already agree to an honest review but she would like a decent one as well. you can be honest and wave bundles in the camera and never use them. she would like someone to actually wear the hair and show their honest opinion, hence the reason she said "decent." decent as in an actual thorough opinion not a "fresh out the pack initial review" and never sewing it in.

Exactly ... Clap

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:51am
Originally posted by yayatheprincess yayatheprincess wrote:

I agree. Waving the bundles are definitely not a review, more like a first look before install, but yeah thorough is definitely the word.

Posted By: Adinkrah
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:55am
Hi Alynxx,

Since you also install hair and now sell why not offer to provide the hair and do the install so you know that hair is actually on their head in addition to the contract. Stick to London or UK based bloggers and
Youtubers for the moment so that it is easy for you to get to

Posted By: sweeit7034
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:00am
I'm just stuck on the 7 bundles for 1 install! Like really....for real....that shouldn't even fit on their darn head lol

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:18am
I subscribe to a lot of the popular weave/wig "gurus" on YT, but I don't trust 90% of what they say. A lot of them make wigs with clips that they remove daily and even then, are done with one vendor's review and  promoting a new one 3 weeks later.

I don't know if it's simply they're lying or that the vendor sent them the good stuff that they won't send to a regular customer, and they're actually  being honest.

Either way, the vast majority of them aren't regularly wearing the hair as long a regular person who doesn't get free hair or paid for reviews, would.

Their greed invalidates their review. Sure I'll admire it, and their review will make me do more research, but unless they have some bad reviews as well as good ones, on hair they actually paid full price for at least 50% of the time, they're untrustworthy to ME.

I love Morgan Taylor's installs, but EVERY review I've seen of hers with the exception of 1, she says the saaaaaaaaammme thaaaaaaang.

Posted By: trendsetta25
Date Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 7:48pm

Aly

Aww you shouted me out

Girl I will love to help you out once you get back on your feet. I actually wear the hair for the entire time I do a review because I care about my subscribers. If I'm having problems with the hair I usually email the company to try to solve the problem before informing my subscribers about that problem (if any).

I'm truly sorry that happened to you

Posted By: trendsetta25
Date Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 7:56pm

Aly

Hiya

Hey love. I'm hairdelacreme on yt lol. Yes I'm a member here as well. Like I said in the above post I will help you out and give you an honest review. Email me and I will plug you in or I can wait till you gain the expense you lost back. I'm truly sorry this happened to you. It's a shame that some of these yt girls are abusing their popularity.

Like suggested you should also try BHM Members. I learned a lot from this board based off the reviews I read. Heck I even ran out and purchased some of the hair that was posted lol. Give them a try as well

Posted By: _belle
Date Posted: Apr 04 2014 at 6:18am
If someone hasn't already said it, if it is a contract, it should be in writing... period. Or you can have them pay for the hair and the vendor will refund it, after the review or maybe something like 50% off on the contingency of a review done in say like 6 weeks.

Emails count. Should have spelled out what each party expects and put a date on it. Long gone are the days of me just hoping a mutha*&%^$#@Ea does right. lol. LOL

Posted By: BelleAmore
Date Posted: Apr 04 2014 at 10:46am
I'm curious to know what would a contract look like for this sort of thing... This is all an interesting process.

Posted By: MooDee
Date Posted: Apr 05 2014 at 7:59pm
so sorry that happened! next time make a contract with docusign, and have the reviewer submit their electronic signature. that way if anything happens, it's still a valid signed contract!

Date Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 5:13pm
Just coming back to this thread - I have loads on so can't always be on BHM so much. Ouch

Thanks to everyone for being so supportive and all of your wonderful advice. That is why I love this board y'all. Cry

@trendsetta - thanks very much I appreciate it. I'm going to drop you a pm and send my email  over so we can chat offline. I would be pleased to get an honest review from you so happy you replied to this post.

Posted By: kandyse1988
Date Posted: May 10 2014 at 6:33pm
This review thing is just so bad.. I think a lot of the popular yt gurus get a lot of hair sent to them that they only do like 2 day reviews on hair, and take the hair and sell it for like $350+, or just do a show and tell of the hair and that is unfair to the company and as well as the subscribers. Then its just so bad because people are getting sent aliexpress hair for free, especially if they agree to give them a good review. At first I used to think youtube reviews were helpful.. some still are but the ones that are too Hollywood and just care about the check are not. I think contracts and stuff need to be used now because you have gurus getting over on companies by not even making videos of the hair they got for free.

Posted By: yaki1
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 5:30am

I saw something similar with the vendor on A Express saying that if you give good reviews they give you $10.

No point watching the reviews anymore, but at least we can blast the badness with pictures on the boards

Posted By: _belle
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:59am
Not really a fan of giving strangers things for free and relying on their goodness of heart to do the right thing. lol. These hoes aint loyal. lol.

*edited because I already made a similar post when this was first posted* lol

Posted By: Amanda_B
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:16am
Always make sure you have contracts in place. Keep all communication via email which can be used in court. Also, when people seek you out for reviews, make sure they are actually who they say they are. Google, check emails carefully, so you're not sending hair to a catfish celebrity. When it comes to celebrities, I've been burned by a few. Make sure they don't have prior contracts that don't allow them to promote your business. And if you gift to celeb stylists make sure you have a clause that they can't install on celebs with contractual obligations. I had one celeb start a hair company off the strength of my hair, and I will never allow that to happen again. The hair business is expensive and there are costly lessons to be learned. Asking someone for a "review" is very ambiguous. She gave you a "review" so technically she met her obligation. It's not fair to call her out because you didn't do your due diligence of specifying what you wanted. If I outed everyone that took advantage, no one would trust me enough to work with me in the future. When people seek out my company, I make sure I write out everything I want, how many times, the duration, the date it needs to be done by, everything! HTH

Print Page | Close Window