Print Page | Close Window

the light skinned struggle

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369492
Printed Date: Oct 14 2019 at 10:25am


Topic: the light skinned struggle
Posted By: noneyons
Subject: the light skinned struggle
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:28pm
let's air that sh*t out so we can squash it forever and always. yes?

i'll add my 2cents momentarily. lemme get my head right first.



Replies:
Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:31pm
i know some people who are light and not so pretty and some other people assume their life is great and its all a bit stupid!


Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:31pm
My struggle isn't worse than any other shade of sista.

Buttttt, some of my experiences are


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:32pm
i's negra lol

but naw, this makes me think about this interview i saw with amerie i think on tyra a while back. now amerie aint light skint but she's "exotic" and she had some interesting stuff to say about it. i'll see if i can find it.


Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:33pm
Amerie isn't light skinned? Since when?


Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:35pm
Oh the struggle




Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:37pm
HERE we go again for the 50 11th time Its all Relative~ what some may think of as lite others do not because it depends on what it being compared to...


Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

Amerie isn't light skinned? Since when?




Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:39pm


Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:41pm
Girl I guess so. No need for feelings. It isn't that serious


Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:44pm
I can see we gonna have to paper bag check each other before we can speak on the light skint struggle in this thread   


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:44pm

amerie interview. fast forward to 2:33


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:46pm
I am just feeling frustrated like Black people are not progressing because we focused on the wrong things! this same thread seems to poop up over and over and its pointless


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:46pm
listen, i totally agree with you nature. 

i just think this is a topic that's like an elephant in the room. unless we look it in the eye, we'll never get over the complex.

the amerie interview is kind of shallow. not the one i was looking for but it'll do in a rush.


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:46pm
danie, this thread isn't to say that  problems (caused by society) of light skinned girls are worse or even equal to those of ds girls. We all know colorism is very real..so hopefully this won't turn into that argument..


But just for funsies..tell us your struggle girl!

Blotchy skin? Ugly noticeable scars?




Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

danie, this thread isn't to say that  problems (caused by society) of light skinned girls are worse or even equal to those of ds girls. We all know colorism is very real..so hopefully this won't turn into that argument..


But just for funsies..tell us your struggle girl!

Blotchy skin? Ugly noticeable scars?




I totally agree! I was just issuing that disclaimer before I say my piece. I don't want people getting their panties in a bunch over misunderstandings. I may have to document my struggle after this workout. I've been procrastinating and my booty is paying for it


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:49pm
on a scale from 1-10 on lightskinnededness, i'm bout a 7 so i fall close to the middle and can kinda see both sides of the equation. i have a very interesting perspective but i think this is gonna get weird so ion know...


Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:50pm
Nature,
Serious question, how does this (in your opinion) hurt the black progression movement?


Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:51pm
the video is not working.


Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

on a scale from 1-10 on lightskinnededness, i'm bout a 7 so i fall close to the middle and can kinda see both sides of the equation. i have a very interesting perspective but i think this is gonna get weird so ion know...


Share!


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:52pm
I don't consider myself light skin. Other people do and I'm a little annoyed by it lol My mom is light...Like so light that when I see her from the distance I think she is a white woman..compared to her I'm like brown






Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:54pm
hell, i don't feel like pulling it up again but basically she said that she doesn't like it when guys approach her and compliment her on her "exotic" features rather than ask her name, what she likes to do; things of that nature and some other stuff. i'll have to watch it again. 


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:54pm
Lol..oh I'm positive panties will be bunched ; some are permanently like that. 

None..share. and which way does the scale go?

I have separate struggles associated with my skin. Light skin vs mixed. I'll share when I get on my computer


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:57pm
@light brite, 10 is the most yella. 

this is so uncomfortable to talk about. 


Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:59pm
On the scale, 10 is light?

Interesting...


Posted By: Girl101
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:59pm
The only struggle I have is my pale arse legs. People are always joking me about them lol. Oh and trying to find black make up products (foundation, concealer, and all that good stuff) in my skin tone. They're all too dark for me, but I can at least get away with Iman lightest sand tone foundation and bb cream.


Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 11:59pm
I feel like people focus on that more than they need to....I've been called a yella bone, a red bone....watever....If you wanna get technical, I'm a white bone, yella(marrow), red(marrow) chic.....

..My nerd is showingCry


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:00am
on a scale from 1-10 of LIGHTNESS, darling. 10 is the most light, DARLING


Posted By: Girl101
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:00am
I do get tired of people asking me am I mixed and not believing me when I say no. It's like they want to argue me down till I say yes I am.


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:01am
i thought about doing it in reverse but ion feel like all the bullsh*t cause it could have gone either way.


Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:01am
So 1 must be... not light?

Still interesting... lol


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:04am
on a scale from 1-10, how LIGHT are the pajamas you're wearing? mine, are somewhere round a 5. my top is dark, my bottom is light.

uuuugggghhhh


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:09am
this sh*t aint gone go nowhere. 

i tried. i'ma delete the op.

on second though, no i'm notLOL fck it. sh*t makes people uncomfortable but when we allow ourselves to feel that discomfort, we overcome it. 

that is my only goal here.


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:11am
I didn't think the 1-10 was difficult to understand....


Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:13am
Nobody wants to hear about the plight if the light skin negros which is real. I remember when one member spoke on it and she was dismissed.

So I'm not surprised by the lack of responses in this thread.


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:14am
Lol, no leave it up Noney. AA is just messing with you


With regard to this light skinned scale, it would make sense to me that a 1 wouldn't even be "dark". It would be just be the darkest of the lights.


Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:16am
Girl, don't get your pajamas in a bunch. Please continue the serious programming as scheduled lol


Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:19am
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

I am just feeling frustrated like Black people are not progressing because we focused on the wrong things! this same thread seems to poop up over and over and its pointless


At LEAST twice or more a year to the point of nausea DeadSleepy


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:19am
lemme get real. 

i have issues with dating because i tend to run into dudes who eventually make a spectacle of themselves by bringing up my skin tone; asking if i'm mixed with something or another. 

i hate that sh*t with a passion. 

makes me wonder if they are interested in who i am and all i encompass as a black woman or whether they view my slight lightness as an attribute; making me that much closer to their ideal woman--which is white. 

this is crippling my dating for real. i side eye every kneegrow who approaches me for that reason alone. 


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:20am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I didn't think the 1-10 was difficult to understand....

it's not in the least
this thread reminds me of this article but i know it's slightly different

The World Insists That I’m ‘Exotic,’ but I Just Want to Be Black

My Thing Is: Beyoncé can keep “Native American” and “French.” My family’s complex history shows on my face, but I choose “African American” every day.




1486781_10101471469201096_54013776_n
Alicia LaChappelle-Friday 

COURTESY OF ALICIA LACHAPPELLE-FRIDAY

The first time I remember someone saying that I looked more "other" than African American, I completely misunderstood the comment. My second-grade teacher told my mother that I looked Samoan. I had no idea that "Samoan" referred to an ethnic group and wasn't some frivolous adjective like "cute."

In my 7-year-old mind, the word sounded like "s'mores," and I figured she meant to say I looked "s'morean." I did have a fluffy, bouffant bang that could be described as marshmallowy. I also thought my skin was about the color of a graham cracker. "S'morean" made sense to me. I didn't give it another thought.

Today things are different. I've given my appearance and identity endless thought because I haven't had a choice. I keep a Howard University mug on the most conspicuous spot on my desk at work. It's a hint to people who might wonder about my ethnicity. It also represents the place where I learned to appreciate the many distinct experiences of being African American, including my own: the black woman who many see only as ethnically ambiguous.

I stepped onto campus freshman year and assumed that because I was an HBCU student, it was obvious that I was black. I assumed wrong. I was both surprised and ashamed when people constantly inquired about my ethnicity. I wondered if my family and I had fraudulently claimed to be black. I hadn't learned yet that we weren't the only black Americans with a complex history of racial mixing—our complex history just happened to be more physically apparent.

To understand how clueless I was about how others perceived me (and why I identify so strongly as black), you have to understand my upbringing. I was blissfully unaware of my ambiguous ethnic appearance as a child. I was raised in Houston by parents whose families both have Louisiana Creole roots. My maternal grandparents conversed in French Creole. My paternal grandfather, known as "King Creole," sold andouille and boudin made from his own recipes. My family taught me to appreciate this heritage. At the same time, they taught me that being Creole was a part of, and not separate from, being African American.  

Passing for anything other than black was taboo for us. The first time I asked my mother if we were Creole, she confirmed that we were and then quickly instructed me to tell people that I was black. She backed that up my making sure that just about any depiction of a person found in our home was black. White Santa and white Jesus rarely made an appearance. However, brown-angel statuettes guarded our rooms, and a painting of a dark-skinned Jesus with 12 black apostles presided over the dining room. Did they look just like us? No. But they reflected who we felt we were.

Remember when  http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2012/02/watch_this_beyonce_ad_raises_race_questions.html" rel="nofollow - Beyoncé listed her heritage as "African American," "French" and "Indian"  in that L'Oréal ad? Because of the early messages I got from my parents, that's simply not a choice it would ever occur to me to make.

My black identity was further nurtured at an elementary school run by the Catholic Church in the Frenchtown area of Houston's 5th Ward. Plenty of other students looked like me and had similar French last names, but posters of black heroes lined the hallways, and we learned black history daily. I was never singled out as different, and identifying as African American wasn't up for debate.

I didn't really begin to become aware of the incongruity between my looks and my racial label until I was 13. I overheard someone ask my dad about our family's ethnicity. She saw my picture and wondered if we were Arab because I had "those thick eyebrows."

After this incident, arrogance and shame about my questionable appearance began to tag-team in my emotions.

As I got older, my eyebrows and hair frequently launched the "What's your ethnicity?" conversation. When someone commented on how long my hair was, I would smugly reply "thanks" while tossing my ponytail. Then there were shameful times, like when my older brother told me that I needed to get a real hairstyle. I pined over the fact that no gel would be strong enough to mold my hair into a trendy appearance, like the rest of my black friends.

In my 20s I knew that what guys called my "exotic" appearance was a lot of what was behind their enthusiasm about talking to me, as well as the accompanying free drinks. That thrill was empty and short-lived, though, and before I met my husband, I feared I would never encounter a man who didn't make me feel as if I were an animal completing his search for a rare pet.  

Reconciling my appearance with my identity has been a challenge that only gets more complicated the more I learn and the more people scrutinize my decision. I stubbornly consider myself black, but I'm well aware that there are many like me who identify as multiracial.

I know the difference has less to do with genes and more to do with how our families dealt with race during our formative years and how we experience it in the present. My childhood environment taught me that my being African American was undeniable. My adulthood experiences, especially at an HBCU, taught me that I'm just one of many who have a complicated background but who identify as black—and that I might spend the rest of my life explaining that.

Alicia LaChapelle-Friday lives in Houston and is a Ph.D. candidate whose research focuses on the impact of culture and race on the academic, civic and community engagement of adolescents. Follow her on  https://twitter.com/@La_friday" rel="nofollow - Twitter .



Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:21am
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

Nature,
Serious question, how does this (in your opinion) hurt the black progression movement?


I know it's to nature, but I wanted to stab at it

It's not helping our progression because it keeps us focused on each other and not any real issues like education, how to manage money, how to fill out college applications, what else can one do of they decide not to go to college, how to raise a family, what career to choose, how to start a business, networking with each other...more important stuff.

Instead we have to decide who's light, and who's lighter. Then who's richer? Who's better?

Not, how do we come together and knock these rich mothafu.ckas out the game?

But, in the name of entertainment, black entertainment, continue.


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:27am
Ok my light skinned struggle is as follows:

-When I was young and had a hickey on my neck, I ran to Walgreens to grab a concealer stick, and they only had darker skinned colors Cry

 -When I'm hot and my skin turns red, I'm ugly. When I'm at my most palest color, I look terrible. Darker skin hides a lot

-I went to the neighborhood dollar store to get some bandaids, and they were dark skinned bandaids Cry

*disclaimer.. yes I was seriously happy for everyone else in the neighborhood that they made these products.. but that sh*t didn't come in handy for me at the time lol. I also do a have a more serious "struggle" but it's not shared by other light skins. I'll post it in a little bit


Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:32am
I wanna hear your mixed girl struggles, LB. My mixed friends always are confused and feel like they have to be one or the other leaving some just totally fucced up. Like, my friend was telling me she has to change the way she acts when around her black or white family. Did you go through the same thing?


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:32am
on a funny note since we're tip toeing through the tulips in this thread, my nephew looks like vin disel. when he was a kid, some dude said to him 'look at this little white boy here'. he was like "i'm not a white boy, i'm a black man". he was bout 3 lol!


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:34am
I wanna hear your mixed struggle too, LB !!


Posted By: msjaim2
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:37am
not as light as lightbright ;), but ive had plenty of "friends" refer to my skin tone with contempt...which is odd bc its never anything I refer to. Mind you, these are grown ass women pushing 40 or who are older than 40 yrs of age.


Posted By: Girl101
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:40am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

lemme get real. 

i have issues with dating because i tend to run into dudes who eventually make a spectacle of themselves by bringing up my skin tone; asking if i'm mixed with something or another. 

i hate that sh*t with a passion. 

makes me wonder if they are interested in who i am and all i encompass as a black woman or whether they view my slight lightness as an attribute; making me that much closer to their ideal woman--which is white. 

this is crippling my dating for real. i side eye every kneegrow who approaches me for that reason alone. 

Lol most guys I've went on a date with tell me I usually don't date lightskinned women, but you are super cool.


Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:41am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

lemme get real. 

i have issues with dating because i tend to run into dudes who eventually make a spectacle of themselves by bringing up my skin tone; asking if i'm mixed with something or another. 

i hate that sh*t with a passion. 

makes me wonder if they are interested in who i am and all i encompass as a black woman or whether they view my slight lightness as an attribute; making me that much closer to their ideal woman--which is white. 

this is crippling my dating for real. i side eye every kneegrow who approaches me for that reason alone. 

Girl duh. Brothaz are fickle.


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:46am
Lol ok I'll post in a minute


Oh but one other LSS I've discussed before, but one of my friends is the biggest hater in life and said she didn't want to go to the corner store with me because "the dudes are gonna be choosin you because you're light skinned" Biiitttcchhhh get your life. I'm over here looking like Felicia and I want my f*ckin chips. Additionally, I'm not checkin for bicycle dope boys. Bye

Also, everytime I get my hair done she'll say in a semi-irritated-playful tone "ugh, nobody even knows your hair is weave because that could be your hair"

These are more so problems she has with her own color lol




Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:47am
@girl101, the fact that they feel the need to bring up your skin tone at all says that they have a complex. that's the sh*t i don't like.


Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:49am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

lemme get real. 

i have issues with dating because i tend to run into dudes who eventually make a spectacle of themselves by bringing up my skin tone; asking if i'm mixed with something or another. 

i hate that sh*t with a passion. 

makes me wonder if they are interested in who i am and all i encompass as a black woman or whether they view my slight lightness as an attribute; making me that much closer to their ideal woman--which is white. 

this is crippling my dating for real. i side eye every kneegrow who approaches me for that reason alone. 

Girl duh. Brothaz are fickle.
Geek


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:56am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Other people do and I'm a little annoyed by it lol



And why do you think this is?




Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

On the scale, 10 is light?

Interesting... 

LoL this. Shandra said something similar, that she pictured light skin higher than dark skin. I guess it's trivial but that doesn't make sense to me. I picture 1 as the lightest and 10 as the darkest or darker being higher than light. That's usually how it is with makeup and stuff anyways. Lightest to darkest left to right.


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:04am
just wanna say this. the women in my family are all beautiful brown/dark skinned goddesses. my aunt and i (on my mama's side) along with some second and third cousins are the only exceptions (please don't misconstrue this term). so all i know of beauty is black. not to say i can't see beauty in lighter skinned women, but my eyes are always drawn to darker women because my ma has always been the definition of beauty to me (crazy as she might be). 

this is my struggle, basically. it aint a matter of life or death, but it gives me a unique perspective i think. 


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:05am
dark is #1 

#1`is the best! we are the champions and sh*t like that
 

better?


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Other people do and I'm a little annoyed by it lol



And why do you think this is?




I don't feel comfortable calling myself light skin. It feels wrong. I wanna be team light brown lol


Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:09am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

dark is #1 
 

better?

Y'all be getting irritated for no reason. I responded to her before I read the rest of the thread and saw a big deal was being made about it. Forget it.


Anyway, I expected to hear more light skin struggles in the form of being hated on, etc. Or are we not being that real yet?

(But all colors of women hate, let's just get that out of the way.)


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:12am
it's just funny, lies how you and alias automatically assumed the worse when i did the whole scale thing. sounds like yet another complex. 


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:17am
BB,  I want to be called light brown too, but you're not leaving the team, sorry boo. Light brown is still on the light skin scale.


  does it feel wrong because some people in the past have told you that you dont count as light skinned? Like, since you see yourself on the line it's more comfortable to not even go there? Or because you really dont think you're brite skinned?

eta: brite skinned = light skinned. Lol sounds dumb.. but thats what we call it lol. BHM got me saying light skinned




Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:18am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

it's just funny, lies how you and alias automatically assumed the worse when i did the whole scale thing. sounds like yet another complex. 

When did either of us say it was a bad thing? She said interesting and I know for a fact I said I pictured it the opposite way and that's all I said. You're reading something that's not there for your own personal reasons. But yeah, have fun with this thread. Smile


Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:22am
Eff the light skin struggle, I'm too light to be dark and to dark to be light. In-betweens have the hardest struggle, we are always ignored and forgotten about. I can't even participate in the twitter hashtags that identity ones complexion. It's real out here in these brown-skin streets.







































Kidding.


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:26am
i can't speak for bb but i think i understand where she's coming from. i think. 

i don't like to be referred to as light because light skinned is dangerous territory lol. 

some people don't like you because you're light, some people assume you're stuck up, some people think you're not black enough and you're almost forced to prove your blackness instead of just being. 

like my nephew. poor baby. he's doing good now though. in the army always having to prove himself. 

too much work. i feel for the super light skinned folks. yall my sistas too though ((hugs))


Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:26am
Can a lite brite love their complexion without getting a
side eye ?


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:28am
loving your light skin as a black woman is weird imo but i tread carefully.


Posted By: msjaim2
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:28am
^nope.ur supposed to wish u were darker o_O.


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

BB,  I want to be called light brown too, but you're not leaving the team, sorry boo. Light brown is still on the light skin scale.


  does it feel wrong because some people in the past have told you that you dont count as light skinned? Like, since you see yourself on the line it's more comfortable to not even go there? Or because you really dont think you're brite skinned?

eta: brite skinned = light skinned. Lol sounds dumb.. but thats what we call it lol. BHM got me saying light skinned




Cry awww man

I think so... My mom and my older sister are really really light and they don't consider me light skin so when other people say I'm light skin I'm like nooo lies!! LOL


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:31am
Yes that too noneyon but I was scared to go there lmao


Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:31am
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

Nature,
Serious question, how does this (in your opinion) hurt the black progression movement?


I know it's to nature, but I wanted to stab at it

It's not helping our progression because it keeps us focused on each other and not any real issues like education, how to manage money, how to fill out college applications, what else can one do of they decide not to go to college, how to raise a family, what career to choose, how to start a business, networking with each other...more important stuff.

Instead we have to decide who's light, and who's lighter. Then who's richer? Who's better?

Not, how do we come together and knock these rich mothafu.ckas out the game?

But, in the name of entertainment, black entertainment, continue.




Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:36am
if this were the random philosophical thread, i'd say that i think black women on either end of the scale (1-10 or 10-1 lol) were born into their skin for the purpose of their soul's progression. focus on what's on the inside rather than what's on the outside in this crazy color struck matrix we live in. sh*t like that. and i'd go deeper.

but this is a fun, shallow thread so disregard.


Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:37am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

loving your light skin as a black woman is weird imo but i tread carefully.

My friend dont give a fucc if anybody gots a problem with her lightskinnedness. She got nice yellow undertones and she stay rubbin this cream she got from sephora that got golden flecks in it which really makes her skintone pop, especially in da summer. she broke as fucc but if you saw her, you would thought she was gettin the same 24k gold dust skin treatments that Mariah Carey getsThumbs Up. She knows she's the sh*t and she takes care of her light skin unlike some of these rough textured dull skint heffas


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:39am
lmao @ nala. girl, aint nobody said nothing bout not taking care of your skin. i'm talking bout not making it a focus and getting caught all up in all the sh*t that goes along with it. 


Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:40am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

lemme get real. 

i have issues with dating because i tend to run into dudes who eventually make a spectacle of themselves by bringing up my skin tone; asking if i'm mixed with something or another. 

i hate that sh*t with a passion. 

makes me wonder if they are interested in who i am and all i encompass as a black woman or whether they view my slight lightness as an attribute; making me that much closer to their ideal woman--which is white. 

this is crippling my dating for real. i side eye every kneegrow who approaches me for that reason alone. 


Me all the way! I have a guy friend that always talks about his love of white women. When he tried to pursue me and I ignored tf outta him he said he only liked me cause I was light skinned. like, even though you know we aren't compatible and this wouldn't work out, you were gonna try anyway and probably destroy a good friendship b/c you want a light skin girl I side eye any dude that talks about my skin color.

Me and him have cussed the dog out of each other before over his white/light skin obsession. His dumbass doesn't understand why that's a slave complex and instead just think black girls are jealous . I have no issues with interracial dating, but this fool irks my nerve with going after chicks b/c of their skin tone. He's passed up some black queens before to fuqq with some white girls that look like they've taken a sack of nickels to the mug.



Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:47am
he sounds like a straight buffoon. why are you friends with him?


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:48am

I could understand why it might be uncomfortable to mention yourself as light skinned if you're even anywhere close to what some people think of as the border. And some people are quick to  to tell someone "um no..you're NOT light skinned" ... (just like I'm telling you you are lol. )




Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 2:08am
I shouldn't be uncomfortable calling myself light skin tho...UGH...


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 2:23am
I usually laugh at the typical mixed girl struggle because they’re  dramatic and I can’t relate. Not to say their feelings aren’t valid, but anyway.

 My actual struggle is I identify as black and feel that this is my group. However, the obvious way to identify a member of this group is by physical appearance, which I apparently don’t have according to most…so this is a “problem” I deal with everyday. I’m in no way miserable or depressed about it, but it definitely is ever-present in my interactions with people, my almost paranoid anticipation of racist remarks by unsuspecting white people etc.

Imagine being black.. but no one can tell. Not even like people with albinism, because they're still clearly black. But imagine your visible blackness being very faint or invisible to some

To further complicate things, I’m very pro-black and liberal. I don’t have much interaction with white people so it isn’t typically a problem in that area.. but I somehow seem to come across a lot of black men who have views I disagree with (ex. “White people aren’t holding us back, slavery is over, no excuses;  I’m obsessed with light skinned women just my mama is semi-light, not cause of society; f*ck your pro black struggle, I’m for the advancement of everyone"). Now, outside of BHM, I can be quite argumentative, and so I confront them about these views , but I think they often don’t hear me. Like, even though I’ve identified myself as black to them by this point, imagine a girl who you previously thought was white/Mexican telling you why your thoughts on your community are flawed. I get it.


There are also things I can’t do/say around people until I’m confident they know I’m black.

Lol there are a lot of ways it affects my daily experience, but I'll stop here. In the end, I'm still level headed and happy.

It seems that the girls who want to identify as white, are clearly mixed,  and were raised in white towns are the ones with the more extreme issues





Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 2:36am
Lb, do people who don't know that you're black look at you weird when you say the n word? lol If you say it, I mean.


Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 3:03am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Oh the struggle


SHE IS WHITE....She has the complexion for the protection of the collection




Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 3:24am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

he sounds like a straight buffoon. why are you friends with him?

For a while we weren't talking tbh. But despite his fcked up views he is truly a good friend. We don't see eye to eye but I can't dispute his loyalty to me.

&& he's slowly learning that these yt women aren't the creme de la creme. He's been leaving them alone and now he has a beautiful chocolate gf he worships!


Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 3:40am
Light skin chicks apparently suck.. Not in the good sense in bed and and are lazy



Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:45am
i was surprised this girl has 2 black parents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuXj8AfWcDM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuXj8AfWcDM



Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:59am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Light skin chicks apparently suck.. Not in the good sense in bed and and are lazy


Lies fallacies and fairytales.
 



Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:26am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Light skin chicks apparently suck.. Not in the good sense in bed and and are lazy


Lies fallacies and fairytales.
 

 
RIGHT!!!!! Angry


Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 7:47am
Originally posted by msjaim2 msjaim2 wrote:

not as light as lightbright ;), but ive had plenty of "friends" refer to my skin tone with contempt...which is odd bc its never anything I refer to. Mind you, these are grown ass women pushing 40 or who are older than 40 yrs of age.

this.
brownskins swear we revel in this privilege im still not aware of/have experienced Sleepy
im Jordin Sparks color

I'll return with more later



Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 7:52am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

i can't speak for bb but i think i understand where she's coming from. i think. 

i don't like to be referred to as light because light skinned is dangerous territory lol. 

some people don't like you because you're light, some people assume you're stuck up, some people think you're not black enough and you're almost forced to prove your blackness instead of just being. 

like my nephew. poor baby. he's doing good now though. in the army always having to prove himself. 

too much work. i feel for the super light skinned folks. yall my sistas too though ((hugs))

this too


Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 7:56am


Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 8:05am
Um yeah..I'mma just rep #teambrownskin LOL


Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 8:19am
Is this the random light skint thoughts thread?


Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 8:38am
2 stars tho? yella's can't have sh*t around here.


Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 8:42am
i dont even kno what light skinned is anymore unless u like Alicia Keys or Drake complexion....women i don't think are light, other people do


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 8:48am
So the number one problem with light skin is the adoration of coons?
Since coons are also a thorn in the side for those of us who failed the paper bag test, can we all just agree that cooonery is the real problem here?


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 9:02am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


do people think yall are mexican or anything else hispanic/latino?

this has happened to one of my friends and my mom

Yeah but I thick its cause I'm hairy and have a habit of saying shyt in Spanish when Im boredLOL




Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 9:07am
I didn't know there was an actual struggle..shrugs shoulders

In my experience the only people worried about the light skinned struggle are people darker than they would like to be. 


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I didn't know there was an actual struggle..shrugs shoulders

In my experience the only people worried about the light skinned struggle are people darker than they would like to be. 


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 9:12am
Thank you Sandra. and Amen


Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 9:59am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Light skin chicks apparently suck.. Not in the good sense in bed and and are lazy


Lies fallacies and fairytales.
 

le preuf?


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 10:01am
I hate that I did this thread. It's not a random thoughts. I was asked to do it after mentioning it tongue and cheek in that other thread.again, it is not a random thoughts and melikey just did an excellent job of sumerizing (on my phone so not gonna quote).

We can kill it with fire now...


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 10:24am
Did you honestly think this type of thread would end well??? 

People don't like to deal with their own insecurities, shortcomings, or feelings of inferiority even if they never admit it. There have been enough threads on the first page of TTT to prove that, if you missed any of them just browse the Lupita, random hair thoughts ,hell someone was up in arms about someone not telling her , her baby was cute and she went with the theory that it was because she was dark complexion....

If you said anything that even implied that you didnt think Lupita was pretty, they came for you and swore you hated dark skin. If you then posted in the Kim K. thread then that confirmed your evil skin hating ways. Someone went as far to say that Kim's thread was longer, even though it was started a year pre Lupita. Confused

If you say you not natural, then you a coon loving weave wearing baldhead ho. You cant possibly wanna embrace your inner black girl. Phuck the possibility that you don't have 4b hair, and just dont like the look of a damn twistout. 

Most times its the person that wont let themselves be GREAT....




Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 10:33am
I feel ya. 

But no topic should be off limits when this board is barely clinging on its last breath. Sad.  could have been an interesting discussing. Not a comparison to any other "struggle". Just a different perspective. I hate giving in to discomfort uuugghh.

Anyway, shout out to LB for her honesty. I'm sure it isn't easy to open up about this. 


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 10:34am
Came here looking for my girl LB.
I knew she'd be here..... Struggling




Print Page | Close Window