Print Page | Close Window

AMBER ALERT...BLACK CHILD IN DC

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369380
Printed Date: Oct 21 2017 at 8:09am

Topic: AMBER ALERT...BLACK CHILD IN DC
Posted By: sunshine321511
Subject: AMBER ALERT...BLACK CHILD IN DC
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 4:09pm
Please keep your eyes open.  A young black girl is missing.  I don't know the "FULL" details and will not say anything negative but just keep her lifted in prayer.  We as a community must do better, we must offer a helping hand.  Was no one concerned about this child.

Please see the article - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/amber-alert-issued-missing-maryland-girl-8-article-1.1728611" rel="nofollow - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/amber-alert-issued-missing-maryland-girl-8-article-1.1728611

This handout photo provided by the Washington Metropolitan Police Department shows eight-year old Relisha Tenau Rudd. The Metropolitan Police Department announced that an Amber Alert has been issued for Rudd. She was last seen in the 1900 block of Massachusetts Avenue, SE in Washington.  (AP Photo/Washington Metropolitan Police Department)

Replies:
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 4:11pm
It wasn't until Wednesday that D.C. Public Schools reportedly tipped the Metropolitan Police Department off to her disappearance, which led to an Amber Alert being launched Thursday morning.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/amber-alert-issued-missing-maryland-girl-8-article-1.1728611#ixzz2wdMJ2avl" rel="nofollow - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/amber-alert-issued-missing-maryland-girl-8-article-1.1728611#ixzz2wdMJ2avl

Posted By: MissCapricorn
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 4:13pm
Truck in Amber Alert Located; Search for Girl Continues

6 hours ago

An 8-year-old girl remains missing Friday, even after police found a vehicle described in an Amber Alert for her. Meanwhile, police are unraveling the mysterious death of a woman found during their search for the missing girl.

%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Truck-in-Amber-Alert-Located_-Search-for-Girl-Continues_Washington-DC-251437351.html

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 4:22pm
i hope thye find her safe and soon.  i dont even know what else to say.

Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 4:39pm
I can't get past the part....the SCHOOL reported her missing, not her mother, not her step father, not her aunt, and then on the news.....THE STEPFATHER TALKING ABOUT...

Evidently, the child had been with this "MAN" ...the man is some kind if acquaintance...so the child has been with this man since February....and he told this 'MAN"....who he has contact with via cell phone...."Man, .the school keep calling him asking about her....I don't know...I told "THE MAN"...that he should bring her back....

WTF....He was talking like.....the school was BOTHERING HIM....

I understand "MOTHER" is in a homeless shelter but I suspect drugs and other issues are involved cause this don't make a BIT OF SENSE.

It is no way, MY FEMALE CHILD going to be with the random man for days on end, I don't know where they are, no one can reach them, that is why SO MANY OF OUR CHILDREN ARE SO SEXUALLY BRUTALIZED AND EXPOSED TO SEXUAL EXPERIENCES AT A YOUNG AGE.

I'm so sad and upset...and of course....the media is talking about it in DC but NOT as much as if IT WAS SALLY WITH BLONDE HAIR AND BLUE EYES!...

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 5:47pm
What? The stepfather said the child was with another man who isn't even related to her?
They probably sold her "temporarily" while they sorted their problems out. I remember one time reading about a couple who would rent out their 4 year old to sick rapists for months. The stepfather and the mom must have done the same thing. Both of them need to go to jail for child endangerment and neglect.

I really hope she is alive and well, but after reading sunshine's post I have a feeling she must have been brutalizedCry

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 9:55pm
the more i hear of this story the more troubling it gets.
the man who they think has her was a worker in the homeless shelter, i'm guessing that's how he preyed on the young girl, by befriending her mother. 
they found his wife dead in a hotel room.
meanwhile, this young girl had plenty of close friends and family who are on tv crying about it NOW. it's just sick.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 10:07pm
this is scary.
praying for her safe return and justice for the sicko who kidnapped her

Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 10:40pm
Maybe the wife caught the man abusing the child and when she tried to call the police, he attacked her?
It would make sense. The family needs to be charged, I cannot believe the mother just let her daughter go with total strangers.

Date Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 2:53am
WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- An Amber Alert is still active for 8-year-old Relisha Tenau Rudd. Her family is pleading with her abductor to return her home safely.

"Just bring my daughter home. That's all I want, just bring my daughter home," said Antonio Wheeler, Relisha's stepfather, pleading with Khalil Tatum.

Police believe Relisha is with Tatum, 51, a janitor at the homeless shelter where the girl had been living with her mother and Wheeler.

Thursday, while searching for Relisha and Tatum, Prince George's County police found Tatum's wife, beaten to death at a Red Roof Inn on Oxon Hill Road in Prince George's County.

Friday, authorities there charged Tatum with the death of his wife, Andrea Denise Tatum, 51.

D.C. police alerted PGPD that one of the cars sought in the Rudd case was seen at a Red Roof Inn. When officers arrived, they found a woman dead inside a room. The official says it appears she suffered from blunt force trauma.

Wheeler said the initial fear of his step-daughter being abducted intensified after learning that she could now be with a man police believe is a murderer.

"I have no idea where she is. No idea," he said.

Wheeler added that he was blind-sided by a man he thought he knew and trusted.

"Mr. Tatum had been helping us out (at the shelter). He'd been showing us the ropes, showing us around, telling us when the activity room closed and what programs they have going on. He's a good man, I never got no bad vibes or a salty taste in my mouth about him," said Wheeler.

He and Relisha's mother trusted Tatum enough to allow their daughter to go home with him. That was weeks ago.

They haven't been seen since.

Tiffany Young is Relisha's aunt, sisters with Relisha's mother. She wonders how her niece got mixed up in this mess.

"You only know (Tatum) because you were in the shelter. You don't know his background, you don't know anything. He don't have no kids, so why is she going over there unsupervised? What is she going over there for?" she asked.

"She's my only niece," said a tearful Young. "She's just a cheerful little girl. She's innocent."

Young said she thinks that her sister, Relisha's mother, knows more than she's saying.

"My sister, (Relisha's) mother, needs to come out and tell everything that she knows," said Young.

But Wheeler defended Relisha's mother, Shamika.

"For those who don't know, Shamika been 100% honest for the past 48 hours. I can honestly say I've seen a change in her," said Wheeler.

Relisha was last seen in the 1900 block of Massachusetts Avenue, SE. Police describe the little girl as a black female, 4' 0" tall, weighing approximately 70 to 80 pounds. She has black hair, brown eyes and a medium complexion. Relisha may also need medication.

Metropolitan Police Department issued the Amber Alert, but late Thursday evening authorities believed the young missing girl may have been, or could even still be, in the Richmond, Va. area.

MPD Youth Division officials confirm the white 1976 GMC pick-up Tatum was believed to be driving was found by Prince George's County Police in Hyattsville early Friday morning. Police were looking for the truck with the MD tag 305015.

Another man first connected to the abduction, Rickie Sheridan Lyles, is no longer believed to be with Relisha.

Anyone with information on Relisha Tenau Rudd's whereabouts is asked to contact the Metropolitan Police Department at 202-727-9099, Youth Investigations Division at 202-576-6768, or 911.

PHOTOS: Relisha Rudd

An AMBER ALERT is out for missing 8-year-old Relisha Rudd. Rudd was last seen in the 1900 block of Massachusetts Avenue, SE. Police describe the little girl as a black female, 4' 0" tall, weighing approximately 70 to 80 pounds. She has black hair, brown eyes and a medium complexion.  (Photo: Homeless Children’s Playtime Project)

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 7:37am
Well just as an update, this child has not been found nor has the man she was "with for almost one month".....
First on Friday, the mother spoke on the news....and this part TRIPPED ME OUT....she could not call the police about her missing child YET.....SHE COULD CALL CHANNEL 5 NEWS TO TELL HER STORY...I said to my self, she was paid....

She said, I lost my other kids behind this, I just want the kids back.....

I said to myself, I wonder of this child is not the "favorite" and that is why she was not concerned.  Also it was obvious she has some kind of drugs, mental health, issues.

Then on Saturday a vigil was held and on the 11 pm news they showed footage of a prayer rally for the child and the step father spoke.....NERVE OF THIS NEYGRO....and he was a BOO HOOO CRYING SNOT DOWN HIS FACE TEARS.....saying....just bring my baby back...WTF

I'm like SHUTZ THE FUXK UP....I wanted to punch him in the face.
HE WAS THE SAME PERSON THE FIRST DAY SAYING.....The school keep calling me, I told him bring her home. 

Also, little slick comments are now being made by the family with the obvious motive of a future lawsuit against the DC government.

Comments like -
  • social services did not keep monitoring,
  •  the police was acting like we were suspects when were are the VICTIMS,
  • better background checks need to be done on the people that work here at the homeless shelter
I said to myself....here we go.....I am an abusive parent, but I'm sue and please understand their are 2 different kinds of lawsuits 1) corrective vindication of a wrong and 2) I am wrong but my goal is a settlement (many companies will give a settlement because it is cheaper to give a plaintiff 30,000 then pay their lawyers 500.00 per hour for X amount of hours on a case.

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 7:45am
from the Washington post...full link -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/truck-found-in-hyattsville-in-case-of-missing-8-year-old-girl/2014/03/21/7e9bd39e-b0f1-11e3-95e8-39bef8e9a48b_story.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/truck-found-in-hyattsville-in-case-of-missing-8-year-old-girl/2014/03/21/7e9bd39e-b0f1-11e3-95e8-39bef8e9a48b_story.html

Graham’s account mirrors observations from at least one family member, who said that child welfare officials have gone to Young’s apartment several times since 2007. An adult relative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity so as not to alienate other relatives, said that on one occasion, after a visit from social workers, Young’s mother called other family members asking whether they had room for Relisha to sleep. The relative added that at one point, city social workers were visiting Young’s apartment once or twice a week to make sure there was enough food and that the place was clean.

No explanation has emerged for why Young put Relisha in the care of Tatum, an employee of a homeless shelter on the grounds of the former D.C. General Hospital. But relatives said that Young, who has been living in the shelter for months, had been in the habit of putting her daughter in the care of various family members.

Relisha was enrolled at Payne Elementary School in Southeast Washington. She last attended school for a full day March 5, according to a source familiar with the case, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

comments about fault...

Pedro Ribeiro, a spokesman for Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D), said Friday that it was too soon to judge the child-welfare agency’s performance in the case, calling it “premature and highly irresponsible for anyone to be talking about who did what. . . . Right now, our number one priority is to find this girl.”

Referring to the child-welfare agency, Ribeiro said, “At this point, we have found nothing to indicate that anyone had dropped any balls on this.”

gifts to the child

The adult relative of the missing girl said that while she and Young were talking in December, Young mentioned that a man at the shelter had taken interest in Relisha.

“The first thing I heard about him was that his wife and him fell in love with Relisha and they asked if they could be the godparents,” the relative said. “The next thing I heard about the man is around Christmas time. He bought [the child] an iPod and . . . other gifts.”

Police said they did not know what she might be wearing because it is still unclear which relatives or friends have most recently seen the missing girl.

Once again, no one cared about this child.  She was gone so long, no one even knows what she was wearing. 

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 11:26am
This is ridiculous.

Samone you popped in my head booHeart

So did Spokenword. The children in the District have been neglected and marginalized for eons......

I truly hope this poor baby is found unharmed. Heartbreaking. And her parents are soooooooooo negligent, like....they need to be prosecuted. 

Posted By: marie67
Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 9:16pm
I'm hoping that she is alive, and if she is, I'm almost certain that she is being sexually abuse and trafficked. I live here in D.C. and there are countless stories of how CPS have dropped the ball! Just a few years ago,5 children were found dead in their home which had been there for months!!!The school system as well as the CPS really @ucked up!!!!

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 10:44pm
Since he killed the wife I am really worried that baby girl may not survive this either. I can't believe there isn't a nationwide manhunt for this man.. i guess since she was black and homeless it's not worth national news coverage. The news on the east coast should be saturated at least.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 11:00pm
Wow this story is scary. I hope the little girl is safe

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Since he killed the wife I am really worried that baby girl may not survive this either. I can't believe there isn't a nationwide manhunt for this man.. i guess since she was black and homeless it's not worth national news coverage. The news on the east coast should be saturated at least.

Exactly; when that 16-year old, Hannah something, was kidnapped by the guy who killed her mom and brother and burned down the house, there was national coverage and Amber alerts going on all the time (I received 3 and she was in the other side of the state!). She was found fast, alive and well, but this little girl got very little attention.

I am afraid she is being sexually abused, and that she might be dead as well, or he is trying to get out of the country with her.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 11:44pm

I would expect to hear about it in NC but I heard nothing. But best believe they still have billboards up around the state for a blonde blue eyed teen girl that went missing out of state in SC years ago though.Pinch

So many wtfs in this story. Every adult failed this baby.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:34pm
Update,
He might have killed her too.
They last saw her with him on March 1, on March 2 he was seen buying contractor trash bags. No sign of the girl since, but he kept going to work until March 20, when they discovered his dead wife in a hotel room.

I hope they find this monster .
I hate her family for failing her this way.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:37pm
THE LATEST IS.....they are looking in a DC park so maybe tips were given. 

Also more historical information is coming out about the mother and WOW.....This sister has 1) mental health issues 2)possibly drug issues and 3) the cycle of poverty 4) Family members who have own problems.  I'm going to link the latest article.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:40pm
D.C. police searched a Northeast Washington park on Thursday morning in another attempt to find a http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/relisha-rudds-difficult-past-comes-into-focus/2014/03/26/12500c6e-b43e-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:41pm
I'm not surprised
The grandma was on the news saying when the school called she said that the girl was with a doctor bc that's what her daughter told her...eaux.
People want to blame the government and the school....no...her family failed her and her mother sold her i bet.

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:42pm
I feel sick to my stomach!!! why is this not making national news..that poor baby!! I hate MEN!!

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:43pm
Most recent washington post article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/relisha-rudds-difficult-past-comes-into-focus/2014/03/26/12500c6e-b43e-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/relisha-rudds-difficult-past-comes-into-focus/2014/03/26/12500c6e-b43e-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html

Relisha Rudd’s absences piled up at Daniel A. Payne Elementary School, topping 30 days this year before someone notified the D.C. Child and Family Service Agency on March 13.

But it took an additional six days before the city agency took action. By then, Relisha, 8, had gone missing.

City records show that D.C. agencies had contact with Relisha and her family beginning in 2007, when the girl was 1 or 2. The records show instances of physical abuse, filthy living conditions and a lack of food. But social workers did not remove Relisha and her siblings from the home, city records show.

More recently, officials at the shelter failed to notice Tatum offering children gifts and spending time alone with Relisha, both fireable offenses.

At the same time, officials at Relisha’s school struggled to figure out why she had missed nearly six weeks of class and were confused by excuses provided by her relatives, who said Relisha was safely in the care of a “Dr. Tatum.” Even after police got involved, Relisha’s 27-year-old mother, Shamika Young, assured reporters that Relisha was in a “safe place.”

City officials defended their actions Wednesday, saying that they flagged the case in accordance with the law requiring intervention after 10 unexcused absences, while also criticizing the mother for misleading them about why the girl wasn’t in school. They said that many of the 30 absences were logged in as “excused.”

On Wednesday afternoon, D.C. police returned to the shelter near RFK Stadium, a show of force designed to find new witnesses. About 30 uniformed officers looked through trash bins and inside and under cars parked on the lots. Some handed out http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/at-rally-friends-and-relatives-praise-missing-relisha-rudd-8/2014/03/22/f1bda6aa-b1fe-11e3-a49e-76adc9210f19_story.html" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:44pm
There was a woman on  the news who knew him. She said she didn't believe he'd harm the girl and that he'd bought her daughter thingsin the past. She said she'd trusted him in the past to watch her daughter.

I couldn't believe she said that (well I can, but..)
My first thought was that could have been her child missing now; and who knows what he has done to her child while he was 'watching her.' 

I hope she's found safe.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:46pm
Now this is the CRAZY part that I want EVERYONE TO READ....THE MOTHER AND THE MAN WERE PRODUCING FAKE DOCTORS NOTES TO EXPLAIN WHY THE GIRL WAS NOT GOING TO SCHOOL.  WHERE IS HER STATE OF MIND.

Relisha missed class frequently, but school officials, assured by Relisha’s family that the girl was ill, considered most of her absences excused. Such absences do not trigger the school system’s usual anti-truancy efforts, and school officials would not have been aware of the family’s dealings with child welfare workers because of confidentiality rules.

But Feb. 25 — the day before Relisha’s relatives put her in Tatum’s care — she reached her fifth unexcused absence, according to a person familiar with the investigation.

Payne officials scheduled a parent conference, which is required by law for truant students. At that March 5 meeting, school officials talked with Relisha’s mother about plans to connect her with additional support services to ensure better attendance, according to the source. Relisha was last seen at the school March 7, when she told a teacher she was sick and staying with her grandmother.

School officials, who thought Relisha was in the care of a “Dr. Tatum,” reached out to Tatum on March 10 to tell him that he would have to provide documentation to demonstrate the medical reasons for Relisha’s continued absence, according to a person familiar with the case.

After 10 unexcused absences, the school was required by law to call the city’s child welfare agency, a rule meant to encourage better attendance and to ensure, when truancy is due to neglect or abuse, that social workers intervene. Relisha reached that threshold March 13.

That day, a school social worker referred Relisha to the child welfare agency, noting that her grandmother insisted she was ill and in the care of Tatum.

CFSA did not immediately treat Relisha’s situation as a high-priority case — partly because her younger brothers had continued to show up for class at Payne, according to a person familiar with the case.

Not until March 19 — six days after Payne raised a flag about Relisha — did a social worker reach out to Tatum and visit the homeless shelter at D.C. General, setting off a string of events that turned a run-of-the-mill child-welfare check into a high-profile police investigation, according to a police search warrant.

Beatriz “BB” Otero, the deputy mayor for Health and Human Services, said case workers and school officials attempted multiple meetings with Relisha’s family at the shelter and at Payne Elementary. She noted that Relisha was seen in class March 5 and at the school March 7, further muting concerns.

“This is an unusual case,” Otero said Wednesday. The parent didn’t file the missing child report. This was the various workers within DHS and the school system that became concerned. It was their call that alerted us.”

Otero emphasized that Tatum posed as a doctor to excuse Relisha from school absences.

Tatum, she said, told the school that Relisha was sick, and the absence was marked excused, meaning it would not trigger potential reporting to the Child and Family Services Agency. Only after school staff visited the D.C. General shelter to gather more information did they discover that the excuse from the “doctor” was bogus, Otero said.

Otero said she was not aware of safeguards to ensure school excuses come from bona fide doctors. “If a parent says, here’s the name of a doctor, they don’t verify the number of the doctor,” she said. “They just call the doctor.”

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:47pm
City records show that D.C. agencies had contact with Relisha and her family beginning in 2007, when the girl was 1 or 2. The records show instances of physical abuse, filthy living conditions and a lack of food. But social workers did not remove Relisha and her siblings from the home, city records show.

ScustCry

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:51pm
I didn'[t know there was no verification for dr notes.

off topic (just popped in my head), how do Doc notes work in the work place? I've never needed one. Do they call the doctor to verify? Is that an invasion of privacy issue?

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:56pm
When do Doctors show up at schoolsConfused #wheretheydothatat

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:57pm
The cycle of poverty is the worst thing because .....WE....many of US .....we are so impressed with an nice car, nice clothes....and not the character of the person.

Notice the wording in the Washington Post Article -

For the past 18 months, Relisha Rudd lived with her mother and three younger brothers, ages 4, 5 and 7, in the sprawling 278-family shelter on Massachusetts Avenue in Southeast Washington. Like other parents, Young befriended the janitor, Tatum, who dressed in stylish Polo shirts, drove an immaculate SUV and took a liking to children, offering many of them gifts, according to relatives.

That was a problem, the parents were so taken with the gifts and the flashy clothes and car....they never wondered ....WHY...why.... it was like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

off topic (just popped in my head), how do Doc notes work in the work place? I've never needed one. Do they call the doctor to verify? Is that an invasion of privacy issue?

I know for a fact in the FEDERAL GOV. if you are trying to use long term FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE ACT time, they will call the doctor just to VERIFY that the note is real and official.  THey make the note have the doctor's offiical stamp.  But they do NOT ASK DETAILS OF THE PROBLEMS.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:11pm

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/C7I8XW/62ZYWQ/Z04TXX/40A2PF1/629Q02/RF/h?a=http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/police-searching-park-near-kenilworth-in-northeast-dc-for-missing-relisha-rudd-8/2014/03/27/462057ae-b5ad-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html" rel="nofollow -

Advertisement

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/C7I8XW/62ZYWQ/Z04TXX/40A2PF1/YBW4LG/RF/h?a=228379398&b=andrea.prayer@usda.gov&c=20140327150912" rel="nofollow">

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/C7I8XW/62ZYWQ/Z04TXX/40A2PF1/SPA2F1/RF/h?a=228379398&b=andrea.prayer@usda.gov&c=20140327150912" rel="nofollow">

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/C7I8XW/62ZYWQ/Z04TXX/40A2PF1/TUZANT/RF/h?a=228379398&b=andrea.prayer@usda.gov&c=20140327150912" rel="nofollow">

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said police have not given up hope that 8-year-old Relisha Rudd is alive, but added, "we cannot ignore the possibility that he may have killed her." The girl was last seen in the care of Kahlil Tatum, a janitor at the homeless shelter where she stayed with her mother. Lanier also said Thursday that the last confirmed sighting of Rudd was on March 1, contradicting officials who earlier said she was seen at her Southeast school on March 7.

Read more at:
http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/C7I8XW/62ZYWQ/Z04TXX/40A2PF1/HYTLX9/RF/h?a=http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/police-searching-park-near-kenilworth-in-northeast-dc-for-missing-relisha-rudd-8/2014/03/27/462057ae-b5ad-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:12pm
Man out here in DC, I see so many ignorant parents in the street with their kids, they don't gotta chance man.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:16pm
My heart just dropped I pray she is still alive!!Cry

Posted By: Mz. Mocha
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:17pm
I read about this earlier. The mother is disgusting I think she made some type of agreement with this man for her daughter. Some parents don't deserve chances to get their children back after a report of abuse. Hopefully they took the other children from her.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

Man out here in DC, I see so many ignorant parents in the street with their kids, they don't gotta chance man.

I know this GHETTO lady was in the subway letting her 6-7 years old run up the escalator and she on the platform on the phone while he kept running up and down the escalator...ConfusedAngry

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:

Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I know for a fact in the FEDERAL GOV. if you are trying to use long term FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE ACT time, they will call the doctor just to VERIFY that the note is real and official.  THey make the note have the doctor's offiical stamp.  But they do NOT ASK DETAILS OF THE PROBLEMS.

thanks sunshine. I would think they would do at least that much if  not more when it's a child.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:21pm

The cycle of poverty is the worst thing because .....WE....many of US .....we are so impressed with an nice car, nice clothes....and not the character of the person.

Notice the wording in the Washington Post Article -

For the past 18 months, Relisha Rudd lived with her mother and three younger brothers, ages 4, 5 and 7, in the sprawling 278-family shelter on Massachusetts Avenue in Southeast Washington. Like other parents, Young befriended the janitor, Tatum, who dressed in stylish Polo shirts, drove an immaculate SUV and took a liking to children, offering many of them gifts, according to relatives.

That was a problem, the parents were so taken with the gifts and the flashy clothes and car....they never wondered ....WHY...why.... it was like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

eh..I don't see this fact as a BLACK thing but as a POOR thing.  I mean he's stunting at a homeless shelter--people who ain't got nothing.  yes, they will be impressed.

he chose the best people to prey upon. poor, might be addicted to drugs, might be mentally ill, etc. he preyed upon the discarded and forgotten

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 2:38pm
Its like she wasn't given a choice. State involvement since she was 1, etc.. she was failed

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 3:50pm
Who was the 9 y/o 'granddaughter' of this monster? Where did she come from and where did she go?

A man loves your kids, buys them treats, takes your daughter out and when she comes back they have gifts? Produces fake notes with mom posing as a doctor so that they can spend more time along together? None of the family members or other adults around thought about the word 'grooming'? No one?!

My first thought, it sounds like mom was at best feigning stupid letting him spend time with her daughter(in exchange for gifts, cash) and when he wanted the girl permanently he killed who got in his way and took her.

I hope they find him and kill on site.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 4:07pm
whoa whoa whoa
the guy posed as a doctor and the mom went along with that?
i read that the mom would drop Relisha at different family members over and over, so she probably just wanted to get rid of the girl, and in exchange got some drugs/money. I hope she goes to jail, because she should have kept the child safe.

I am afraid she is dead now.

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 4:10pm
just saw this on the news. my goodness. this is so terrible.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 4:19pm
did you guys see the survellience video of of the child and that sick fck in the hotel hallway?

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

did you guys see the survellience video of of the child and that sick fck in the hotel hallway?

I haven't.

That reminds me of that little girl that was abducted. They had footage of the fukker holding her in his arms.

My heart hurts for this little girl.

My heart is heavy over how little national coverage this is receiving.

Nones, do you have the videoOuch

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 4:24pm
i can't make it clickable for some reason 

but here it is

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/27/8-year-old-girl-missing/6948993/

i can't deal with this kind of stuff

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 4:43pm
they said he was last seen purchasing contractor sized trash bags. 

saw this on the board all week but because it was in d.c i felt helpless and didn't open the thread. but now the search for this person is in atlanta so it grabbed my attention from the news. 

kinda wish i hadn't stumbled upon the video cause its gonna fck with my mind for a while if i don't find a distraction. 

i pray for that child.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 4:57pm
so, he killed his wife so he could run off with a 9 year old?  we cant let him continue breathing.

please let that baby be alive and unharmed.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 5:00pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfJsGeq0xRA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfJsGeq0xRA

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 5:05pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCH3St_rcDw" rel="nofollow -

-

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 5:08pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3J64qA2tfY" rel="nofollow -

-
Published on Mar 27, 2014

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 6:41pm
I hope that they can charge the deadbeat parents with something. They sold Relisha off. 
Such a tumultuous life for a child who is only 8 years old. 

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 7:05pm
the surveillance video of them walking through the hotel hallway makes me VERY sick.  i can only imagine what has gone on.  

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:08pm
^It reminds me of the Shaniya Davis case. Very similar hotel camera footage. Creepy & sad.Cry

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

the surveillance video of them walking through the hotel hallway makes me VERY sick.  i can only imagine what has gone on.  

this CryUnhappy

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:18pm
So many sick and evil ppl.
This is so sad.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

^It reminds me of the Shaniya Davis case. Very similar hotel camera footage. Creepy & sad.Cry

I had to look up Shaniya to know what you were talking about.... the mom sold the kid for 200  to pay for her debt instead of having sex with him, as he demanded. In Relisha's case, I think the mom just wanted to get rid of her.

Date Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 9:18am
I agree, and if anyone reading this knows Relisha's MOTHER OR FAMILY....

Please, I'm begging you....PLEASE TELL THEM.... TO HAVE THE MOTHER ....STOP TALKING TO THE PRESS...

At this point, the press is not HER FRIENDS, no matter how sweet they "try" and be to HER...the less she says now the better especially if the family plans future lawsuits against the DC government (which I'm sure are coming).

Date Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 9:23am
Based on sexy's comments above I had to look up the case she was talking about...here is the link....
Black mother....owes drug money, give daughter to guy for sex....who later kils daughter.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9291946" rel="nofollow - http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9291946

Date Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 9:42am
so sick I can't click on that link..seeing them walking thru a hotel room made my stomach turn!! sick bastard

Date Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 1:21pm
WOW...Now it is ON LIKE POPCORN
I'm not saying this is TRUE OR NOT TRUE.....BUT NOW, MORE ALLEGATIONS ARE COMING TO LIGHT.........I'm not saying the janitor didnot do something VERY WRONG....

All I'm saying is now..........millions to follow in lawsuits.

Local Crime/Safety Alert

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/5O5UA2/U1T26C/1VXBDD/QFUUZP4/L98C7W/RF/h?a=http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/search-continues-for-missing-8-year-old-girl/2014/03/28/d1a0bfbc-b698-11e3-b84e-897d3d12b816_story.html" rel="nofollow -

Advertisement

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/5O5UA2/U1T26C/1VXBDD/QFUUZP4/IIH625/RF/h?a=228379398&b=andrea.prayer@usda.gov&c=20140328141218" rel="nofollow">

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/5O5UA2/U1T26C/1VXBDD/QFUUZP4/16DQFL/RF/h?a=228379398&b=andrea.prayer@usda.gov&c=20140328141218" rel="nofollow">

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/5O5UA2/U1T26C/1VXBDD/QFUUZP4/7ASNLO/RF/h?a=228379398&b=andrea.prayer@usda.gov&c=20140328141218" rel="nofollow">

The former janitor at a homeless shelter who police believe abducted 8-year-old Relisha Rudd also had contact with several other young girls at the shelter, even though such contact was prohibited, D.C. Police chief Cathy L. Lanier said Friday. Lanier said officers are talking with representatives from three or four families whose daughters, like Relisha, interacted with Kahlil Malik Tatum at the shelter. She would not characterize the type of contact that Tatum allegedly had with the girls.

Read more at:
http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/5O5UA2/U1T26C/1VXBDD/QFUUZP4/JEBOAK/RF/h?a=http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/search-continues-for-missing-8-year-old-girl/2014/03/28/d1a0bfbc-b698-11e3-b84e-897d3d12b816_story.html" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 2:00pm
^SMH!!!

Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I had to look up Shaniya to know what you were talking about.... the mom sold the kid for 200  to pay for her debt instead of having sex with him, as he demanded. In Relisha's case, I think the mom just wanted to get rid of her.
I'm comparing the hotel footage from the Shaniya Davis case. Her killer was seen with her on camera at a hotel in the hallways. It is similar to this video still.

Date Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 2:11pm

I agree, and if anyone reading this knows Relisha's MOTHER OR FAMILY....

Please, I'm begging you....PLEASE TELL THEM.... TO HAVE THE MOTHER ....STOP TALKING TO THE PRESS...

At this point, the press is not HER FRIENDS, no matter how sweet they "try" and be to HER...the less she says now the better especially if the family plans future lawsuits against the DC government (which I'm sure are coming).

They shouldn't sue anyone. The mother has to go to jail. She gave the kid away, she did not have the child taken from her. There is a difference between both. The woman put the child in a dangerous situation. He is not keeping her because he loves her, but because he is raping her. Probably making videos and making some money off that, or sharing her with friends.

Posted By: funkydiva2
Date Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 3:24pm
Relisha Rudd's Mother Speaks on Daughter's Disappearance
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DRAFT-Relisha-Rudds-Mother-Speaks--252902051.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DRAFT-Relisha-Rudds-Mother-Speaks--252902051.html

This is sad on so many levelsCryCry

I can't stop thinking about this precious girl

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 4:53pm
I Think the mother gave her baby to that sick bastard to move in with a man . OuchCry

Search for missing D.C. girl intensifies

By Mary Grace Lucas, CNN
updated 8:11 AM EDT, Fri March 28, 2014
Watch this video http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/27/us/dc-missing-girl/#" rel="nofollow -

Police: Suspect purchased trash bags

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

(CNN) -- A mystery surrounding the disappearance of a Washington girl intensified on Thursday as police searched a local park as part of an investigation centered on a man who may be with her and is now wanted for his wife's murder.

"We're not making any assumptions, but I think it'd be prudent for us at this time to make sure we've searched - and this is a very large area - searched this area very well," said D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier. "We cannot ignore the possibility that he may have killed her."

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:24am
It's so sad that in the top pic ^^^^^^ she is smiling for getting clothes when most kids have a smile like that for toysCry
Her mom is a selfish idiot

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:41am

It's so sad that in the top pic ^^^^^^ she is smiling for getting clothes when most kids have a smile like that for toysCry
Her mom is a selfish idiot

Omg, she is not even at a shopping mall, she recieved those clothes from a school program. Her mother ain't shatAngry

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:46am
OMGCry

The last confirmed sighting of Relisha was March 1 at a D.C. motel. The next day, Tatum purchased a shovel, trash bags and lime.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:50am
Man, after watching that interview, I have so many foul thoughts about her mother. First you name your daughter after a hot dog condiment. Then you admit to giving your child to this man. That is friendly with children, he is a grown azz man. Angry

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 8:35am
The scary part is SHE "The Mother" ACTUALLY believes she is a good mother.  I see so many people who treat their kids terrible.

She is so concerned about the "other" kids, she must not have carried for this daughter at all.  That much is OBVIOUS. 

I had not heard about the naming child after relish thing, that was NEW TO ME.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 10:38am
That child was absolutely beautiful
I hope they find her soon, the evidence is damning

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 10:45am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

OMGCry

The last confirmed sighting of Relisha was March 1 at a D.C. motel. The next day, Tatum purchased a shovel, trash bags and lime.

either he killed her, or he planned in hiding his wife's body but changed his mind.
I'm really afraid for this girl, if she is alive, she is being raped, if she is not, she might have had a painful death, and either way she is/was suffering.
I want the mom to be charged for child neglect and child endangerment. I hope she sits in prison for a long time. Disgusting b!tch, naming a child after relish? I wondered how did she get this stupid name. What is wrong with naming your child Patricia or Mary?!

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 11:17am
AngryThat video Angry

Shamika Young ain't sh*t. 

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 11:50am
I think about her all the time . The police need to update the public . Are they looking for her ? I think evil dogs like this fool need to go straight to the electric chair after torture . Stop spending my tax dollars on pure evil .

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 12:04pm
Yes, the media is updating the public on the search. They searched a park, and now they are diving somewhere to find a body. The police is treating it as a homicide already, because they are looking for a dead body. The guy could have driven all the way to Toronto and gotten there on the same day. The school took too long to contact the police, and the mom did not care that she hadn't seen the girl for a while. He might have dumped her body somewhere on the freeway on the way to wherever he is hiding or he could have sold her or taken her with himCry

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by funkydiva2 funkydiva2 wrote:

Relisha Rudd's Mother Speaks on Daughter's Disappearance
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DRAFT-Relisha-Rudds-Mother-Speaks--252902051.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DRAFT-Relisha-Rudds-Mother-Speaks--252902051.html

This is sad on so many levelsCryCry

I can't stop thinking about this precious girl

WTH . I went to church for nothing . I want her in jail  .Unhappy

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:24pm

Yes, the media is updating the public on the search. They searched a park, and now they are diving somewhere to find a body. The police is treating it as a homicide already, because they are looking for a dead body. The guy could have driven all the way to Toronto and gotten there on the same day. The school took too long to contact the police, and the mom did not care that she hadn't seen the girl for a while. He might have dumped her body somewhere on the freeway on the way to wherever he is hiding or he could have sold her or taken her with himCry
The child was gone for 3 weeks and the bitch gave no *&%^$#@Es.

She had the audacity to say that she is a good mother. Censored

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 1:23pm
From Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/blackandmissing" rel="nofollow - Black and Missing but Not Forgotten
A body has been found in a Washington DC park. Initial finding say the body is an adult male.
Relisha Rudd remains missing. 
We will update as we get reports.

:( If her abductor is dead where is the baby girl!?

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 1:28pm
Bump. This needs to stay on the front page. 

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 1:41pm
Wait, what?
Let me turn on the news.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 2:01pm
The news doesn't say yet if the dead body isn't him. If he is dead..... either he killed himself but killed her first, or someone killed him and took herCry

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 2:05pm
This is just too much.

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 2:26pm
Ive been posting this on my FB page since Ive been made aware of her disappearance still hoping she will be found alive.

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 3:03pm
our children are just not valued & protected enough. i was waiting for my take out food and a bus driver was telling me that a few times a week, some woman would drop her 3-4 yr old child off at the bus terminal for 5-6 hours, 2-3 times a week. said that after the first time she did it, she realized that she could get away with it and that she knew the ladies that worked there would feel sorry for the kid and give her lunch & pen & paper to scribble on and would peek into the lobby to see if she was ok.  said that its not like the woman had a job b/c he would see her walking down the street smoking cigarettes, drinking beer out of a bag.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 3:53pm
Does the system allow older children to be given up instead of being taken. There needs to be an alternative other than 'you made your bed, now lay in it'.

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

our children are just not valued & protected enough. i was waiting for my take out food and a bus driver was telling me that a few times a week, some woman would drop her 3-4 yr old child off at the bus terminal for 5-6 hours, 2-3 times a week. said that after the first time she did it, she realized that she could get away with it and that she knew the ladies that worked there would feel sorry for the kid and give her lunch & pen & paper to scribble on and would peek into the lobby to see if she was ok.  said that its not like the woman had a job b/c he would see her walking down the street smoking cigarettes, drinking beer out of a bag.

my God

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 5:23pm
they just updated, the dead man is the kidnapper. death by suicide. 
where is the little girl Cry?

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 6:03pm

:(

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 6:22pm
Watching Jane mitchell in prayer . The police think a body they found is the little girl .. Continues to say breaking news without anymore info . I pray she is alive . The cops should arrest the mother today and take the other children . Sick coward .

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:03pm
They found a dead body of a young black girl?

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:03pm

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

They found a dead body of a young black girl?

No.

The body of a man who appeared to have committed suicide at a D.C. park has been tentatively identified as Kahlil Tatum.

Tatum was sought by police in the disappearance of 8-year-old Relisha Rudd, as well as the murder of his wife, who was found shot to death during the search for Relisha.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said it will take time to officially identify the body and determine how long it has been at the park. She said the area where it was found had been previously searched.

"This discovery was a shock for us," she said. "We were focused on finding Relisha. There's a lot of evidence to be processed from what we found [Monday]."

Lanier said the search for Relisha will continue during the next few days.

"We are still here for the reason we came to begin with -- to find Relisha," she said. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Relisha-Rudd-Kahlil-Tatum-Dive-Teams-Searching-Ponds-in-NE-DC-Park-for-Missing-Girl-253102701.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Relisha-Rudd-Kahlil-Tatum-Dive-Teams-Searching-Ponds-in-NE-DC-Park-for-Missing-Girl-253102701.html

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:24pm
Watching Nancy grace live . A man came on to say the police found 2 bodies but refuse to disclose his source . I am going to keep hope alive  . The grandmother will be on the Jane mithchell show at 7pm Tuesday .

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:38pm
damn!

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:52pm
I cant with this thread...

That mom should have given her to me(with the help of CPS)… I’m a good mommy…

I would love her, put her in a good school and love, love, and more love…
This is a sad story according to my family nearby.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 8:13pm

Does the system allow older children to be given up instead of being taken. There needs to be an alternative other than 'you made your bed, now lay in it'.

i saw a documentary b4...i think that 1 state allows/allowed kids to be dropped off with no questions asked to an orphanage....God it was awful. Little rebellious 14-15yr old boys getting waken up out the bed and the parents like, 'you have to go. you broke the last straw' then driving them across state lines to drop them off to this over crowded orphanage. I think that the law has been changed and that it is no longer legal. I'll try to google up the doc...

eta:
"Controversy has arisen out the safe-haven law enacted in Nebraska in July 2008. The Nebraska law has been interpreted to define a child as anyone under 18, and has resulted in the desertion of teenage children. Under this law, at least 35 children were dropped off in Nebraska hospitals in a four month span, at least 5 of them from other US states. The law was changed in November 2008, allowing only infants up to 30 days old to be surrendered."

read this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/22/nebrasks-safe-haven-law-a_n_120757.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/22/nebrasks-safe-haven-law-a_n_120757.html

Nebraska's "Safe Haven" Law Allows Parents To Abandon Unwanted Children

JEAN ORTIZ   08/22/08 06:23 PM ET   AP

OMAHA, Neb. — Nebraska's new "safe-haven" law allowing parents to abandon unwanted children at hospitals with no questions asked is unique in a significant way: It goes beyond babies and potentially permits the abandonment of anyone under 19.

While lawmakers may not have intended it, the month-old law raises the possibility that frustrated parents could drop off misbehaving teens or even severely disabled older children with impunity.

"Whether the kid is disabled or unruly or just being a hormonal teenager, the state is saying: 'Hey, we have a really easy option for you,'" said Adam Pertman, executive director of a New York adoption institute and a frequent critic of safe-haven laws.

Nebraska's approach is surprising because it is the last state in the nation to adopt a safe-haven law.

But instead of following the lead of other states, which focus on the abandonment of newborns, lawmakers here wanted to extend the protection to all minors. And in Nebraska, that goes all the way up to age 19.

"All children deserve our protection," said Sen. Tom White, who helped broaden the measure. "If we save one child from being abused, it's well, well worth it."

White said it doesn't matter if that child is an infant or three years old or in the care of a parent or baby sitter. As for what constitutes a minor, he refers to common law, which interprets it to be anyone under age 14.

State Sen. Arnie Stuthman, who introduced the original bill dealing only with infants, agreed to the compromise after the bill became stalled in debate.

"The main interest I have is that it gives the mother or a parent another option of what to do with a child before they do something drastic," he said.

The measure, which took effect July 18, does not absolve people of possible criminal charges _ for example, if a child had been beaten.

And since the law does not specify, it technically allows anyone, not just a parent, to legally surrender custody. Most other states narrowly define the role of the person surrendering the child.

Some hospitals have fielded questions from the public about the law, but no children have been dropped off.

"I hope there never is one," Stuthman said.

Pertman, who directs the New York-based Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, said his research going back several years shows safe-haven laws are not accomplishing what they intended. Women who are distressed enough to want to abandon their children are not the ones reading billboards or getting the message about these laws, he said.

Pertman finds Nebraska's law particularly alarming because it is not focused on infants and parents.

Casting such a wide net "circumvents every rational practice in child welfare that I'm aware of," he said. "That's as nicely as I can put it."

California, for example, allows parents to legally abandon a child at a hospital or other designated safe zones within 72 hours of birth.

The brevity of the law could trigger litigation over its meaning, said Jonathan Turley, a George Washington University law professor.

"This law is obviously written in almost skeletal form," he said. "Drafters will sometimes try to say as little as possible so they don't create ambiguity, but drafters here succeeded in writing the law in such a limited fashion that the entire provision is ambiguous."

Nebraska lawmakers acknowledge the courts will have to sort out the details, and they have said they are open to revisiting the legislation if necessary.

The Nebraska Hospital Association has been working to help its 85 member hospitals statewide establish procedures for dealing with abandonment cases.

Sen. Ernie Chambers, who voted against the law, said he would prefer to address the reasons that parents abandon their children rather than offer them safe haven.

"I don't think such laws are wise," he said.

Kathy Bigsby Moore, executive director of the child advocacy group Voices for Children in Nebraska, said she also worries how the law might affect adoption rates.

"The sad thing is we have plenty of other mechanisms for people to use," she said. "I'm not sure the safe-haven law is really going to help in a majority of cases."

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 8:31pm
people totally abused the law in 2008. one dude dropped off his 9 kids. I hope that they are well functioning, healthy adults nowCry

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-09-25-Left-kids_N.htm" rel="nofollow - http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-09-25-Left-kids_N.htm
By Wendy Koch, USA TODAY
Between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Wednesday, three fathers walked into two hospitals in Omaha and abandoned their children. One left nine siblings, ages 1 to 17.

The men, unless proven to have abused the kids, won't face prosecution under a new Nebraska law that is unique in the nation. The law allows parents to leave a child at a licensed hospital without explaining why.

Other parents have also used the law to leave their children. Last week, a 13-year-old girl was left. The week before that, two boys ages 11 and 15. In all, fathers, mothers and caregivers in six families — some single parents — have bailed on 14 kids, including seven teens, since the law took effect in July.

"They were tired of their parenting role," says Todd Landry of Nebraska's Department of Health and Human Services. He says child behavioral problems, not family financial woes, were a factor in the earlier cases. He says little is known about the three new cases, which are under investigation.

None of the kids was in immediate danger, Landry says. He says the four oldest of the nine siblings were placed together in an emergency shelter and the others in a foster home. "They're struggling to varying degrees with what's happened to them."

Landry says the courts will decide whether to require the parents to pay child support or to try to reunite them with their children.

"This was never the intent of the bill," says Republican state Sen. Arnie Stuthman. He says he co-wrote it to protect newborns from abandonment, but to get enough support for passage, it was changed to cover all children.

"We really opened a can of worms," he says. "We have a mess." He says the law needs to be fixed.

All 50 states have "safe haven" laws, but the others apply only to infants less than 1 year old.

The Nebraska law is the "worst-case scenario of unintended consequences," says Adam Pertman, executive director of the Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, a research group. He says it allows parents to walk out on troublesome teens.

"We don't endorse the way it was done," says Tracey Johnson of the National Safe Haven Alliance.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 8:43pm
That's sad. No hope for these unwanted kids I guess.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 9:33pm
Cry

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 9:43pm
My heart fell when I read the last posts.
I hope she is alive but now the chances are decreasingCry

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 10:01pm
I'm happy he is dead but I wish he could have given the family closure by letting someone know where she is.

Print Page | Close Window