Print Page | Close Window

Too Fit for Planet Fitness?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369314
Printed Date: Sep 19 2017 at 9:55pm

Topic: Too Fit for Planet Fitness?
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Too Fit for Planet Fitness?
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:28pm

Gym tells woman to cover up because her 'toned body' intimidated others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKlPdqWCy3w" rel="nofollow - video

RICHMOND, Calif. — A California woman was asked to cover up while working out at a Bay Area gym, after staff members say she was intimidating people with her toned body.
Tiffany Austin said she was excited to get back in shape after recovering from a recent car accident. After her doctor told her it was time to start walking more, she took a tour of the Planet Fitness Gym in Richmond. On Monday she officially joined the gym and was looking forward to her first workout -- but that workout lasted a quick 15 minutes.

Austin said things started out well. She hopped on a treadmill, set the speed to slow, put her earbuds in and started walking. She started to notice others staring at her, and quickly grew self-conscious but she kept on walking. That is until a staff-member stopped her.
According to Austin that staff member said, "excuse me we've had some complaints you're intimidating people with your toned body. So can you put on a shirt?"

Austin was wearing a tank that showed her stomach and capri-pants and says she didn't see anything wrong with the outfit. She says she was only told not to wear a string tank because of the dress code policy at the gym.

She agreed to wear the shirt, but while the first staff member went to get it she says she was approached by another staff member who also took issue with her body. Austin says at that point she had enough; she asked for a manager - asked for her money back and left.
Planet Fitness boasts 5 million members and a policy that bans what they call "gymtimidation." Its website says members can get in shape without being, "subjected to the hardcore look-at-me-attitude that exists in too many gyms."
The franchise goes even further and has a "lunk alarm" in every gym which sends off a siren if someone drops a weight or breathes too hard or shows any behavior that staff members consider "lunk-like".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKlPdqWCy3w

Replies:
Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:32pm
lol

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:35pm
That's really dumb. I would think she would inspire people.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:35pm
So in order to prevent body discrimination towards less fit members, they discriminate against fit members?

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:36pm
that gym is popping up all over here.

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:39pm
It says in the rules that you cant wear those thin strapped tanks to the gym and its posted on the wall in large letters at the one I go to.

Its a very no extras gym, I go for the cardio a few weight machines and leave. 

I can prob count on 1 hand how many fit people I see in there. its sort of weird since they are there pretty regularly.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:40pm
I can't see the video but some of women be in the gym doing to much....

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:42pm
I just told someone a couple hours ago why I don't like this gym.. the women in there be trying it.. sheer ass leggings, fake squatting in the weights section

Posted By: missdeeluxe
They keep puttin these in malls in my area with huge windows that let you see in when you're out walkin the mall  Geek

I'd probably join if it were closer though, it's $10 cheaper a month than Snap.

Posted By: EPITOME
They have also gotten rid of some machines bc they think it makes people uncomfortable.  The gym is so bare bones & has no classes.

I go to the gym of gays and thin white girls.  Sh*t is motivational bc there are very few fatties.

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:44pm
Her outfit wasn't bad....im talking about the ones that go workout in damn near a bikini.....

Posted By: Iowabred&fed
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:44pm
Hmm...I have a membership there. I always look like a bum when I go to the gym though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:49pm
 still  LOL
from now on when people ask me why I only work out at home I'm going to say because I'm too fit for the gym LOL

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Her outfit wasn't bad....im talking about the ones that go workout in damn near a bikini.....

The white girls be in Lululemon. They gays be trying it w/their lil shorts and deep V's sometimes.  I'm here for it thoughLOL

I was so excited when I saw 2 other black girls at the gym this afternoon....and one w/frowzy looking natural hair like me. I was like yes--we outchea!

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:52pm
lol pp

Sandra, I didn't even watch the video. Planet fitness just sets me off. Ive seen a girl apply make up before going on the floor

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:54pm
i prefer la fitness or lifetime, Planet Fitness is like the greyhound bus of gyms. 

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:54pm
they coulda just said, 'that is against our dress code rules' 

theyre tryin it with that too fit nonsense 

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 7:14pm
Really? That is ridiculous. I would think intimidating would be here mean mugging and insulting other members. But really? So does that mean they kick you out once you lose your weight? I had been thinking of joining...

Posted By: Oladunni
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 7:21pm
They must've felt her attire was exposing too much skin.. the worker there was a hater.. Smh at too toned..

I go to pf there's no probs. Jus cover ur belly n u should be aight

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 7:23pm
You can show your belly though Cry and I mean it be some bellies showing and not the defined toned kind yall thinking of. 

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

lol pp

Sandra, I didn't even watch the video. Planet fitness just sets me off. Ive seen a girl apply make up before going on the floor

LOLSo they can get chose by the lame dudes that workout there?
Naw, I need a "Lunk"

Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 8:28pm
i know an old fat f&*&*ck that goes there once a month for the Pizza and Bagel Monday.

I kid you not, he doesn't even bother to wear gym gear.. It's usually the 2nd Monday of the month here, he walks in shows his membership card, brings a plastic bag for the bagels and cream cheese,  and mac's out on the pizza.

In between THOSE occasions, he goes in to get the tootsie rolls they give out at the front desk.

Someone on Youtube complained that the members who show up to "work out" on those days, (Pizza/Bagel day) are sitting on the exercise equipment chowing down on the pizza instead of working out.  Plus, they're getting grease all over the damn place.

Confused

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 8:36pm
greyhound? girl.. megabus. I let the whole year go by without going more than 5 times

lol hunny, they looking for something

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 9:09pm
everything is intimidating to PF
They dont even let you wear head scarves...only ball caps
they said head scarves were "intimidating" Ermm
 i never went back after that
I made a thread about it a couple years ago

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 9:29pm
^^^What???? There's something else behind that. Whites don't tend to wear head scarves.

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

^^^What???? There's something else behind that. Whites don't tend to wear head scarves.

Lamp
link to the thread http://f2.blackhairmedia.com/smh-planet-fitness-mini-rant_topic339903_page1.html?KW=planet+fitness" rel="nofollow - http://f2.blackhairmedia.com/smh-planet-fitness-mini-rant_topic339903_page1.html?KW=planet+fitness

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 9:39pm
I can't go to a gym that feeds me pizza and carbs

I need fresh pressed juices
How are you supposed to get in shape?
Is this a real gym?

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 9:43pm
Epitome yes it is a real gym lol. I was only considering for the price and proximity but will probably shop around.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 9:56pm
Membership is only like 10 dollars a month. You get what you pay for. I like LA Fitness and the Y(love their classes for kids).

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 10:23pm
for $10 a month I wouldn't expect pizza.  I'd barely expect people

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 11:18pm

greyhound? girl.. megabus. I let the whole year go by without going more than 5 times

chile not even megabus. China Bus.  Fung Waa n'sh*t.  Planet Fitness don't want folks to be actually be fit.  It's one thing to say no intimidation but come on man.  She ain't bullying folks in there.

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 11:19pm
$10 a month?! 
craze 

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 11:28pm
i used to run on the treadmill at planet fitness in my sports bra and a few women complained, but they told those fat white ladies to leave me alone

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 11:31pm
How jealous you gotta be to complain to mgmt that this Broad looks Too Good

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 11:33pm
i guess that is a good place for insecure people 

they will get a lot more members for this.. a bunch of bad bodied ppl who dont wanna see sexy 

(not saying that everyone who goes there is like that) 

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 11:36pm
lol.
i expected to see something real outrageous..

somebody def in they feelings about this...

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 11:43pm
all the men in there look like they just stepped off of Rikers Island, Chile boo, doing different versions of the workout they did when they was locked down 

the women be standing around waiting for the ab machines when those abs aint ready Cry, I wanna tap them on the shoulder and say you got about 6 months of cardio before anything is showing through but I dont

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 1:02am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

i guess that is a good place for insecure people 

they will get a lot more members for this.. a bunch of bad bodied ppl who dont wanna see sexy 

(not saying that everyone who goes there is like that) 

I don't understand why people are acting like this is something new. How many people have one skinny mini type friend who always wants to work out with the fluffy friends. And those fluffy friends give the skinny one the super side eye. 

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 1:28am
This is really a new concept for me. Who goes to the gym and expects not to see fit people? People are so self absorbed.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 1:31am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

This is really a new concept for me. Who goes to the gym and expects not to see fit people? People are so self absorbed.

Welp, some people just don't like seeing others more fit than they are.

#true story.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 2:09am
Its official, Im too fancy for that phuckery. Im going back to LA Fitness where the pretty people are !!!!

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Its official, Im too fancy for that phuckery. Im going back to LA Fitness where the pretty people are !!!!

You're from LAShocked

Welcome to the bad biches clubCool

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 4:13am
if i had my ideal body i'd be the bish in there with a sports bra and spandex shorts. 

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 6:10am
Wow... Pizza and bagel nights at a gym?
Mad bc ppl are toned?
Ppl in their feelings and intimidated bc people are not humped over?
Planet fitness can keep all of that and their 10 dollar fees and I'll continue to pay 10 dollars every two weeks for our great gym at my company which they are giving 6 months back to us in July if we work out 3 times a week.

But if I chose not to workout there, we get very good company discounts on LA Fitness and Lifetime fitness that I do have those options if i get tired of working out after work. I guess you really get what you pay for..

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 6:54am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

chile not even megabus. China Bus.  Fung Waa n'sh*t.  Planet Fitness don't want folks to be actually be fit.  It's one thing to say no intimidation but come on man.  She ain't bullying folks in there.

That damn china bus

I forgot they give carbs away, weekly I think smh... Ive never seen the trainers training or offering advice

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 6:59am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

everything is intimidating to PF
They dont even let you wear head scarves...only ball caps
they said head scarves were "intimidating" Ermm
 i never went back after that
I made a thread about it a couple years ago

hmmm. i guess it depends on the area of the pf and the staff.
wear headwraps all the time.. my photo for the gym is with my scarf on..
wear bikini strap tanks.. and in the summer have worn volleyball type shorts...
They don't care..

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 8:07am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

They have also gotten rid of some machines bc they think it makes people uncomfortable.  The gym is so bare bones & has no classes.

I go to the gym of gays and thin white girls.  Sh*t is motivational bc there are very few fatties.

I just cancelled my PF membership and joined the new Gold's Gym....PF seems like everyone is slow walking and over weight so the news story did not surprise me...I cancelled because I missed my classes and sauna room. 

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 8:08am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

LA Fitness is all over the country

I want them to build one near my house

we used to go to LifeTime Fitness, but priorities have changed therefore that $70 a month membership fee had to get cut lol

But Samone the Rikers Island crew aint in there Cry

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 8:09am
Also, PF  turned me off that they had pizza and bagel night at the gym and the fatties was sneaking eating the pizza in the corner..total turn off..why not have smoothie or juicing..smh

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 8:30am
i dont understand why people get intimidated going to the gym. You aint there for them nigguhs and aint nobody worried about you.
Bein fluffy never stopped me from gettin my workout going
But then again im not/was never obese....
iono...

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 8:30am
My gf talked me into joining PF, yeah I get the whole ' our gym is for everyone theme" but most of the people I see there are just wandering around looking lost . and I aint got zero time for no pizza night Cry at the gym Dead

Ill read the fine print and see if I can cancel , it hasnt been 30 days yet and the person who begged me to join dont even go . 

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 8:48am
$30 is too much for LA Fitness, but I have no choice since PF is all the way in Maryland and I don't live there anymore. I used to go to Planet Fitness and it wasnt bad, probably cause I would go in the early morning like 4 am when no one was there yet. And at $10/mo, u can't beat that. 

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 8:51am
My PF must have been cool cause I would walk around with a tank top and wore my durag looking like a ghetto demigod. But again, this was never after 7 am when more people would come.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 9:01am
Pizza night

At the fuccking gym

I done heard it all.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 9:09am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Pizza night

At the fuccking gym

I done heard it all.

LMAO it's a mess.

last time me and me girl were in the weight room .. some dude walked over picked up like a 10lb dumbell did one rep tricep extension.. and walked sr8 to the pizza..
my friend was dying LOL.. like boy u coulda just ate the pizza...

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 9:18am

Pizza night

At the fuccking gym

I done heard it all.

Don't forget the BagelsLOLDead

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Oladunni Oladunni wrote:

Pizza night

At the fuccking gym

I done heard it all.

LMAO it's a mess.

last time me and me girl were in the weight room .. some dude walked over picked up like a 10lb dumbell did one rep tricep extension.. and walked sr8 to the pizza..
my friend was dying LOL.. like boy u coulda just ate the pizza...

that wasn't enough exertion for a 8cm2 slice

All pakehas I assume?

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 9:48am
^ yes....smh

More people in the gym now too. The new years resolution people still going (surprisingly).. Pizza day must be beyond horrible now...

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 10:30am
They know what they doing, keep serving em pizza and bagels and they wont ever leave this placeCry . 

thats like  nicorette giving you a free pack of cigarettes once a month, wtf.

Posted By: TayTay
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 1:07am
I go to PF. Some ladies in there wear some questionable stuff and some of it is actually gross when you're on the machine behind them.

I hate that they don't have classes and sound that damn lunk alarm when someone drops one freakin weight. That's more annoying and disruptive to your workout than the actual sound of them dropping the weight Ermm I'm leaving them before my year is up.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 1:21am
So basically, by time you get fit it's time to leave? LOLErmm

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 2:27am
She received "complaints"?

After being in the gym for 15 mins.?? Confused

Are people that damn insecure? I mean REALLY?!? Confused

If that ain't some bassakwards bullshyt....Sleepy

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 4:38pm
I used to have a membership for PF. I had the $20 a month, because you could bring a friend, have access to tanning beds, massage chairs, and 1/2 price drinks. There used to be this one guy that like to dance in front of the mirror. The dance moves he did looked like something straight from Dance Dance Revolution. I remember one time my mom was all loud, "LilMiss, OMG! LOOK LOOK! What the hell is he doing?" I was cracking up. He would always be there dancing. I remember one time I went to the bank to cash my check, and he was my teller. He must have remembered me and my mom because he was kind of rude to me. Yes, they actually have pizza night. The fat people get there super early on pizza night, and you can tell when they have pizza because it is usually packed. White people go there for the tanning bed, they don't even work out straight to the tanning bed. The lunk alarm is annoying. They claim to be a judgement free zone, but they are judging people who are in stellar shape. Its a double standard, and some people have canceled memberships because of this. I canceled my membership because I stop going because of my work schedule. I could go all the time when I was underemployed.

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 5:10pm
Her body looks nice, but I don't see what there is to complain about. I googled her to look at the outfit, it looks normal.

Yah, but there are women there who dress to get attention. They hardly work out and are in makeup and tight clothes and showing their bodies. I do get jealous, but only when I'm fat lol. I think I wore questionable things when I was thinner and in college. I wore short black shorts, but I never worked out around a lot of people. I always went upstairs and used machines in the corner away from everybody else so I could focus. I wasn't there to pick up men.

Print Page | Close Window