Print Page | Close Window

Arrest: Girl 6, Found Frozen to Death

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369204
Printed Date: Sep 20 2019 at 3:13am

Topic: Arrest: Girl 6, Found Frozen to Death
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Arrest: Girl 6, Found Frozen to Death
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:25pm

Cousin arrested after girl, 6, is found frozen to death outside Minnesota home 

Mercedes Mayfield, 6, was found unconscious in an entrance to a Bemidji apartment building on Feb. 27. Her cousin, Rachel Downer, faces charges of second-degree manslaughter and felony neglect of a child.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cousin-arrested-girl-6-found-frozen-death-article-1.1722574#commentpostform" rel="nofollow - Comments (17)

By http://www.nydailynews.com/authors?author=David%20Harding" rel="nofollow - Saturday, March 15, 2014, 8:51 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cousin-arrested-girl-6-found-frozen-death-article-1.1722574?print" rel="nofollow - Print
Share This URL:

• http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cousin-arrested-girl-6-found-frozen-death-article-1.1722574?print" rel="nofollow - Print
  • http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cousin-arrested-girl-6-found-frozen-death-article-1.1722574#commentpostform" rel="nofollow - Comment
   Rachel Downer (right) was arrested in connection with the death of her 6-year-old cousin, who was found frozen outside her Minnesota home on Feb. 27.

Rachel Downer via Facebook

Rachel Downer (left) was arrested in connection with the death of her 6-year-old cousin, who was found frozen outside her Minnesota home on Feb. 27.

Rachel Downer, 22, of Bemidji, was booked on suspicion for 2nd degree manslaughter and felony neglect of a child after her 6 year-old cousin died to exposure from the cold in Bemidji, Minnesota last month.

Bemidji Police Deparment

Rachel Downer, 22

The cousin of a six-year-old girl who froze to death outside her home in temperatures of -30 degrees has been arrested in connection with her death.

Tiny Mercedes Mayfield was discovered unconscious in the entrance to an apartment building the morning of February 27 in Bemidji, Minnesota.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/minn-girl-6-found-apparently-frozen-death-apartment-article-1.1704732" rel="nofollow - RELATED: MINN. GIRL, 6, FOUND APPARENTLY FROZEN TO DEATH OUTSIDE APARTMENT

Windchill drove the temperature down to -40 degrees.

It remains unclear how long Mercedes Mayfield, 6, was outside before dying from hypothermia.

KSTP

It remains unclear how long Mercedes Mayfield, 6, was outside before dying from hypothermia.

Now cousin Rachel Downer, 22, has been arrested and is expected to be charged with second-degree manslaughter and felony neglect of a child, according to a Bemidji police statement.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/bronx-man-saved-falling-half-frozen-lake-article-1.1715906" rel="nofollow - RELATED: BRONX MAN SAVED AFTER FALLING INTO HALF-FROZEN LAKE

Mercedes was discovered by her mother and a neighbor, who immediately called 911.

She was dressed in a coat, boots, hat and mittens. It is not clear how the first-grader got outside, but she may have been there overnight.

She died from hypothermia.

Replies:
Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:26pm
As I was reading I was hoping she wasn't black. Poor thing, may she rest in peace. This cousin needs to be put under the jail though

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:29pm
I swear people will leave they kids with any throwed off mutha f*cka they know or don't know...

Posted By: reesegurl11
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:30pm
poor baby

I just can't even imagine the horror my daughter is 6 and ugh I just can't....

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:30pm
-30 degrees overnight? She suffered

My mother still calls when there's going to be bad weather and tells me not to go anywhere unless I have to... why was she outside

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:35pm
it's not clear how she got out and she may have been there overnight? 

tf?! who? where? what? why? when? how? 

that poor baby. so many damn questions!! 

*sigh* smh

Posted By: reesegurl11
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:41pm
They probably locked her out and "forgot" about her smh

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:42pm
She was dressed in her coat, boots, hat, gloves, etc but no one knows how she got out? Foh.

Posted By: StylingArabella
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:43pm
I'm confused and need more details. I mean, I realize the outcome however the story is so short and lacks explanations. 

The little girl was outside in her coat, boots, hat, and mittens. From the pic above she seems to like the her cousin. They aren't even sure how the little girl got out nor do they say anything about negligence on the cousins part or the cousins statements leading to the arrest. They say Tiny Mercedes was found at the entrance of AN apartment building by her mother and a neighbor. That leads me to believe that there was a search, but they don't say anything about calls to the police. Did the little girl simply wander out? Was the cousin arrested because she was responsible for the safety of the little girl? Was she the sitter? Did the cousin think she left with the mother or something? Either way this is a tragic and heart breaking story  Stories like these should not be released without more detail.

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:49pm
burn her at the stake! Angry

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:56pm
I wasn't sure if the little girl in the pic was the same girl. The pic doesn't say so plus they blocked her face out.

Posted By: gemini1591
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 4:05pm
This story needs more details. It seems weird that the cousin was not helping the mother and neighbor look for the little girl. If I had lost track of my cousin while babysitting I would be outside trying to help find her. I wonder if she let her go outside and forgot about her. They charged her with manslaughter and not murder. I bet the mother probably feels horrible for leaving her daughter with. The cousin. I wonder if the cousin has watched the girl before

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 6:17pm
Maybe the mom went out and when she came back with her neighbor, they found the girl? And the cousin was supposed to watch her, but either let her build a snowman by herself and then forgot her outside because she was sleeping/having sex/high, etc. I hope more details will come out.

Poor girl suffered a lot before dying, feeling cold is not fun at all!

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 6:19pm
R.I.P young one

That neck though

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 6:22pm
I wish I was a judge, her sentence would be the same as that poor baby's cept I'd make her be out there naked...

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 6:24pm
So confusing... she was found at the entrance of an apt. building and no one saw her prior?

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 6:39pm
damn
and her FB has a RIP banner for her 'cuzin'

Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 6:41pm
such a cutie. RIP baby

Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

such a cutie. RIP baby

Cry Dear God! That pic just made it worse. She's so tiny, that sweet face! If it's any comfort, my understanding is that dying of hypothermia is rather painless. They say your body goes numb and you just fall asleep as it shuts down. I hope this was the case, I just have to think this is the case. I just..can't Cry.

Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 8:31pm
Cry.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 9:10pm
-30?  jeepers. smh.  rip.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 5:42am
Dumbass.

The rule: If it's too cold for me, it's definitely too cold for you.  She would have been inside playing checkers or something with me.  What was this fool thinking???

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 11:02am
She needs to suffer just same as this little girl did she didn't deserve to freeze the death.

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 11:48am
hold the fcuk up... -30 and you even entertained the idea of the baby going outside..yeah put her azz in jail...so sad maybe the baby was trying to crawl back to the house that is how she was found in the entrance way

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 12:11pm
Ugh! WTF is wrong with people!?!???

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

R.I.P young one

That neck though

CryLOL

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 3:19am
Originally posted by StylingArabella StylingArabella wrote:

I'm confused and need more details. I mean, I realize the outcome however the story is so short and lacks explanations.  

The little girl was outside in her coat, boots, hat, and mittens. From the pic above she seems to like the her cousin. They aren't even sure how the little girl got out nor do they say anything about negligence on the cousins part or the cousins statements leading to the arrest. They say Tiny Mercedes was found at the entrance of AN apartment building by her mother and a neighbor. That leads me to believe that there was a search, but they don't say anything about calls to the police. Did the little girl simply wander out? Was the cousin arrested because she was responsible for the safety of the little girl? Was she the sitter? Did the cousin think she left with the mother or something? Either way this is a tragic and heart breaking story  Stories like these should not be released without more detail.
The child was dressed for the cold as if she intended to go out. The cousin may have been the sitter and didn't notice the child had left the house???
Many questions.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

R.I.P young one

That neck though
GurrlCry

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 7:39am
Originally posted by IslandSuga IslandSuga wrote:

As I was reading I was hoping she wasn't black. Poor thing, may she rest in peace. This cousin needs to be put under the jail though

😐 Does it matter what race the child was!? So you would've been more at ease with a dead white child?

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 9:17am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Originally posted by IslandSuga IslandSuga wrote:

😐 Does it matter what race the child was!? So you would've been more at ease with a dead white child?

It's normal, people seem to care more by affiliation. If you share in race, age or have a loved one that age or live near.
When a yt child goes missing, news hits the yt media harder and faster than a missing Black child.

Date Posted: Jun 20 2015 at 4:42pm
I know this is SUPER OLD, but this story bothered me. Someone in the salon mentioned it today so I looked it up to get more facts because the original story was so vague. It turns out she was going to take the cousin to her house with her but decided not too, the little girl went back to her house,  the cousin believed her cousin went back into the house, turns out the door was locked, and the girl froze to death and her mother found her in the morning. 

Now, the defendant has been deemed unfit to stand trail by both the prosecution and defense...she went crazy apparently.

This is just sad all around. I mean, I know she should have made sure that she got in and why didn't the mom hear the doorbell or something? It's just terrible. 

Date Posted: Jun 20 2015 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by StylingArabella StylingArabella wrote:

Now, the defendant has been deemed unfit to stand trail by both the prosecution and defense...she went crazy apparently.

Bemidji woman found unfit for trial in girl’s freezing death

rachel-downer-green

A Bemidji woman who was charged with manslaughter in connection with the http://bringmethenews.com/2014/03/14/relative-arrested-in-case-of-bemidji-6-year-old-who-froze-to-death/" rel="nofollow - freezing death of a 6-year-old girl  has been found incompetent to stand trial, the  http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/woman-charged-6-year-olds-death-unfit-stand-trial" rel="nofollow - Bemidji Pioneer  reports.

Rachel Downer, 22, was charged in March after her cousin, Mercedes Mayfield, was found dead from hypothermia on Feb. 27 outside the apartment building where she lived. The girl was in Downer’s care the night before she was found.

According to the criminal complaint, Downer was planning to take Mayfield to her own home to babysit her, but changed her mind once they got outside the building, the http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/08/18/bemidji-woman-found-incompetent-in-freezing-death/" rel="nofollow - Associated Press  reports. Downer told police she thought Mayfield had gone back inside the building before she drove away. But it turns out the girl couldn’t get back in because the door was locked.

Mayfield’s mother found the girl on the front step the next morning. Officials say she died of hypothermia due to the extreme cold.

Both prosecution and defense accepted the findings of a psychologist’s report that Downer is incompetent to stand trial at this time, according to the Associated Press, and the case against her has been suspended.

It’s unclear exactly why Downer was deemed incompetent, and Faver, the prosecutor, said that information is not usually made public, the Associated Press said.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/court_rules/rule.php?name=cr-20" rel="nofollow - According to Minnesota law , a defendant is incompetent to stand trial if he or she lacks the ability to understand the proceedings or participate in the defense due to mental illness or deficiency.

Officials will now seek to have Downer civilly committed for mental health treatment. The first hearing on that issue is on Wednesday, according to the Bemidji Pioneer.

Date Posted: Jun 20 2015 at 5:03pm
and then i found this....... Mercedes mother is an idiot for leaving her child with a dumbass like Rachel Downer:

Cases where family assessment did not stop the cycle of abuse

October 12, 2014 — 12:11pm

After reviewing over 400 Minnesota child abuse cases since 2005, the Star Tribune found dozens of cases where family assessment failed to stop the cycle of abuse and neglect. In addition to Key’Ontay Peterson, here are nine other cases

Children who died:

Mercedes Mayfield, age 6

Circumstances: The child froze to death on the steps of her Bemidji apartment complex on Feb. 27 this year. Her baby sitter, Rachel Downer, has been charged in the death.

How family assessment was used before the death: Downer was reported for neglect sometime between October 2013 and January 2014 after her 2-year-old son was found left alone with a 6-year-old and a 4-year-old. Beltrami County offered services to Downer, but she declined.

the woman is slow....... i don't think she "went crazy" when she found out Mercedes had died. She most likely had left the girl by herself at her or someone's else home before. that's why she dropped the girl off at her house.

Date Posted: Jun 20 2015 at 5:27pm
WAIT...so this girl was already had mental issues before this and the mom was leaving her child with her????? It just keeps getting worse, damn.

Print Page | Close Window