Print Page | Close Window

slavery and religion

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=369051
Printed Date: Dec 11 2017 at 2:54am

Topic: slavery and religion
Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Subject: slavery and religion
Date Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 10:26pm
I always wondered why when our ancestors were brought over here did they have their own religion and if so, why didn't they keep practicing it (secretly) ? I see these religion shows on tv and these black pastor's knowing the word inside and out and always wondered " what happened to OUR religion and not being fed the white man's religion?

I mean to have Christianity instilled in us so much we actually forgot our own beliefs from our motherland?..

probably gonna get blasted for what i said above but whom caresSleepy

Replies:
Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 10:45pm
Slaves were killed for practicing their own religion, speaking their own languages, or doing simple things like trying to cook or do their hair or birth babies the way they we're taught in their homeland.

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 11:37pm
Strikingly enough, any non-European race that embraced Christianity lost their land, freedom, religion, and history. 
No one wants to talk about this though.
I found it memorizing watching 12 Years a Slave while the slave master read to the slaves from the same bible that we preach from today. 

Posted By: MsBella
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:26am
I ask myself this every time someone black talks about God and the holy book. I believe we should have our own set of beliefs instead of following the ones that were forced upon us.  I honestly dont know why Africans and black people still practice Christianity. Is it just bc its a generational thing?

If the white man really thought something was so sacred such as Christ and the Bible...do we really think he would share it with someone he thought was less than human? There were absolutely no good intentions involved in sharing religion with slaves. But its clear not many people think about this type of stuff. 

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:05am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Slaves were killed for practicing their own religion, speaking their own languages, or doing simple things like trying to cook or do their hair or birth babies the way they we're taught in their homeland.

so wrong so sad and just well.........Thumbs Down

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:11am
Originally posted by MsBella MsBella wrote:

I ask myself this every time someone black talks about God and the holy book. I believe we should have our own set of beliefs instead of following the ones that were forced upon us.  I honestly dont know why Africans and black people still practice Christianity. Is it just bc its a generational thing?

If the white man really thought something was so sacred such as Christ and the Bible...do we really think he would share it with someone he thought was less than human? There were absolutely no good intentions involved in sharing religion with slaves. But its clear not many people think about this type of stuff. 

so true....so very true....so when did they take time out to preach THEIR GOOD WORD to us? i have always wondered about this...too bad this thread isn't getting more comments i would love to read more thoughts on this..

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:13am
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

Strikingly enough, any non-European race that embraced Christianity lost their land, freedom, religion, and history. 
No one wants to talk about this though.
I found it memorizing watching 12 Years a Slave while the slave master read to the slaves from the same bible that we preach from today. 

see this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:15am
How is it a "white man's religion" if most of the events in the Bible take place in the middle East and Africa? Confused

Christianity existed in a parts of Africa before Europeans even grouped themselves together

Slaves were not allowed to read b/c slave masters feared they'd read actual passages in the Bible (and not just fragmented bs that was fed to them) and start to see themselves as the White man's "neighbors" (it's my theory as to why Black pastors have a tradition of barely reading out of the Bible and just babbling on and on about 1 passage lol).

If anything, Christianity helped maintain their sanity or what was left of it... it gave them hope and faith in the face of unimaginable circumstances

Once you understand that religion was never the real reason why Africans were enslaved, just a convenient excuse, you can stop demonizing the belief system and simply demonize the perps

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:17am
White Americans have turned Christianity into a "White man's religion" and you guys have eaten that ish up... White Jesus and all

eta: Y'all also never talk about Islam in the same manner despite the fact that it was introduced to Africans through the Arab slave trade. Hmmm

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

White Americans have turned Christianity into a "White man's religion" and you guys have eaten that ish up... White Jesus and all

eta: Y'all also never talk about Islam in the same manner despite the fact that it was introduced to Africans through the Arab slave trade. Hmmm

the former is incorrect

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 4:18am
Christianity was only in eastern Africa. Not so much west Africa and the reason Islam isn't talk cause only a small majority are Islamic in American.

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 6:22am

How is it a "white man's religion" if most of the events in the Bible take place in the middle East and Africa? Confused

Christianity existed in a parts of Africa before Europeans even grouped themselves together

Slaves were not allowed to read b/c slave masters feared they'd read actual passages in the Bible (and not just fragmented bs that was fed to them) and start to see themselves as the White man's "neighbors" (it's my theory as to why Black pastors have a tradition of barely reading out of the Bible and just babbling on and on about 1 passage lol).

If anything, Christianity helped maintain their sanity or what was left of it... it gave them hope and faith in the face of unimaginable circumstances

Once you understand that religion was never the real reason why Africans were enslaved, just a convenient excuse, you can stop demonizing the belief system and simply demonize the perps

THANK YOU all of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 6:23am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

eta: Y'all also never talk about Islam in the same manner despite the fact that it was introduced to Africans through the Arab slave trade.
Hmmm

the former is incorrect

thank you AGAIN she is right~

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 6:40am

Ethopia and very few places in the continent that Christianity was introduced and it was via proper christianity and not with books missing different sect.

Islam doesnt' get much talk due to the history not being known but they are equally as guilty.

It pretty much points that religion is also political, economic, and social engine for warfare.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 8:46am
This is maddening.....

Here's the thing.  African slaves APPROPRIATELY used the white man's religion as a tool to gain their own freedom.  The problem is they also needed as a tool for years of oppression and segregation.  We were too far removed from our original beliefs and language by the time we were allowed to worship in this land in our own churches.  The only religion available to us was Christianity.  Trust and believe if blacks started practicing some "foreign" religion the lynchings would have been massive and "justified". 

FTR (ugh) Judaism, Islam and Christianity are the same, same, same, same exact thing.  The only difference is the same difference between Catholics, Protestants, Jehovah's Witnesses and the like.  You all believe exactly the same thing.   You worship the same god.  The only thing different is that Muslims and Jews believe Jesus was a prophet and not the son of god because they see that as blasphemous.  If god is the one perfect uncreated being it is not possible for him to "father" a child in the flesh (so they believe).    Jesus appears in the Koran more times than the entire Christian Bible.   He is actually talking and teaching from his crib.   Jesus was JEWISH.  Not Christian. 

And they are ALL three the religions of Caucasian people.  This is not an African or Black Religion so arguing that its not a WHITE religion just sounds uneducated and silly.  Stop. 

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 8:47am

the former is incorrect

As hell. 

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 9:04am

Christianity is a European religion developed by disaffected Jews and Europeans.  There were no Africans involved.  None.   The bishops at the council of Nicea and Emperor Constantine decided that Jesus was the son of god.  The Jews disagreed.  The Muslims developed later and rejected their decisions.  Again, all yt folks arguing about their own religion and breaking into three groups.    

Some of the slaves were actually Muslim but they were not Christians or Jews.   If anything black people have a connection with Islam but definitely not Judaism or Christianity.   That came from slavery (in America) and evangelism in Africa.  Jews, Christians and Muslims were required to spread their beliefs and/or kill anyone who rejects them.  It says as much in all the the books that guide their morality(?) - Torah, New Testament and Koran. 

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 9:05am
But y'all were ready to make salt circles in pebbles thread for the practicing of an African religion by her neighbours

I'm just pointing it out ..

I donno how y'all can not connect the dots..

FYI... The Greeks then the Anglos made Christianity the white man's. the European refugees brought it over from Europe

KFoxx

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 9:14am

To be exact it's a western asian religion(s) that derives from other religions around western asian and northern africa and tidbit from india. When you look at the whole picture. It's a mixed of tons of other religions and formed years and years. Like I said Western Africa was not christian and that was eastern Africa and still it was different from European christianity. West Africa had Islam, but it wasn't as strong as thought to be usually the aristicrats were Muslim and it was primarily for trading purposes, but they didn't pressure the smaller towns and tribes to be muslim.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 9:17am
LMAO, they are scared of any african religion Afro and call it demonic and evil. I rather practice Santeria or Ifa than any other West Asian religion. But for all intended purposes, spirituality is for individuals and religion is for controlled groups. I choose spirituality, nothing another man can't teach me or force me to learn that I can get from my own walk.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

To be exact it's a western asian religion(s) that derives from other religions around western asian and northern africa and tidbit from india. When you look at the whole picture. It's a mixed of tons of other religions and formed years and years. Like I said Western Africa was not christian and that was eastern Africa and still it was different from European christianity. West Africa had Islam, but it wasn't as strong as thought to be usually the aristicrats were Muslim and it was primarily for trading purposes, but they didn't pressure the smaller towns and tribes to be muslim.

What is? 

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 9:46am
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

What is? 

The middle east or you can call it north African or Western Asia. Depending on who has control over it. It's pretty much up for grabs to the strongest warlord throughout history. The only thing African about the bible is for it's stolen knowledge of the cosmos hidden inside the stories (12 tribes of Israel, 12 disciples, the different numbers presented in the bible)  and 10 commandments and tree of life and tree of knowledge. Bu

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:19am
LoL @ Christianity being derived outside of Europe. Yes I understand the people, regions, and context of the Bible is centered around non-European regions. However, Europeans used Christianity and later the King James version of it to lie, cheat and steal their way throughout every continent on this planet!
I'm sorry, but I refuse to take that sh*t word-for-word when it was adversely used against us for centuries.
For the record, the foregoing statements are opinions which I'm entitled to. I cannot, in good faith, tell you something is bond without backing it up with facts and citations and I would appreciate it if everyone who chooses to "enlighten" us folks would do the same. If not, please disclaim your ish as your opinion or what you heard, or what you believe.  Unless you have double PhD in Theology, just typing it out sure as hell don't make it so.

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:36am
Prior to coming to the West as slaves, many of our (AA/Blacks) ancestors were Muslims. 

Majority of the slaves were taken from West Africa, a region that is, still to this day, predominately a Muslim population. 

To answer your question OP: yes, our ancestors did have their own religion when they came, and there were those that remained steadfast in practicing their faith (even though they were tortured and punished for doing so). 

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:43am
OP, and anyone else interested in this topic:

There is a MASSIVE amount of research and study already done on this topic (there is even a museum in America dedicated to this topic alone), so I'll just drop a few names for starting points and suggested readings:

Servants of Allah: African Muslims Enslaved in the Americas by Sylviance A. Diouf

Quote Servants of Allah presents a history of African Muslims, following them from West Africa to the Americas.  Although many assume that what Muslim faith they brought with them to the Americas was quickly absorbed into the new Christian milieu, as Sylviane A. Diouf demonstrates in this meticulously-researched, groundbreaking volume, Islam flourished during slavery on a large scale. She details how, even while enslaved, many Muslims managed to follow most of the precepts of their religion. Literate, urban, and well-traveled, they drew on their organization, solidarity and the strength of their beliefs to play a major part in the most well-known slave uprisings. But for all their accomplishments and contributions to the history and cultures of the African Diaspora, the Muslims have been largely ignored.

Also, check out the biographies of Abdulrahman Ibrahim ibn Sori, Omar ibn Said, and more recently Malcolm X. 

Good to know our history and where we come from. 

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:52am
lol @ trudawg asking niccahs for peer reviewed research LOLCryLOL

I hear you.  It bugs me when some things are stated as if they are fact because I know some ppl take the info and run with it like they done discovered some profound "truth".  A lot of stuff is just all up in your facial area thoughDead

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:01am

What is? 

The middle east or you can call it north African or Western Asia. Depending on who has control over it. It's pretty much up for grabs to the strongest warlord throughout history. The only thing African about the bible is for it's stolen knowledge of the cosmos hidden inside the stories (12 tribes of Israel, 12 disciples, the different numbers presented in the bible)  and 10 commandments and tree of life and tree of knowledge. Bu

I still don't understand what you mean.   You said "it's a western asian religion(s) that derives from other religions around western asian and northern africa and tidbit from india"

I'm asking you WHAT is a western asian religion that derives from.......

Are you saying that about Christianity because it doesn't make sense if it is also a European developed religion.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:12am

What is? 

I still don't understand what you mean.   You said "it's a western asian religion(s) that derives from other religions around western asian and northern africa and tidbit from india"

Are you saying that about Christianity because it doesn't make sense if it is also a European developed religion.

because it is not a european developed religion. But my view is not a religion its a relationship. 

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:24am

What is? 

First let's look at Judaism for one, it derives from the apiru or habiru people which is not an ethnic group but different nomads, a majority of them mercenaries from around the middle east. A western asian religion would be Zoastrian which heavily influenced current Judiasm, another would be the cannanite religions, another would bablyonian religions. They all heavily influenced the bible in one way or another. The hebrew people said they descent from Ur which is located in Iraq and where Gilgamesh was born and said to rule at.

Just that alone makes it non-european, european thought haven't even begun when the influence of Judiasm would come into play and the African influence was that Yah was a mountain/moon/volcano/weather god depending what  tribe, nation or group was worshipping him as. The people of Kemet said Yah was a mountain god, some cannanites thought of him as a storm god in some relationship derivance of Set.

I can write more, but let me find that link and it will give you more background of those ancient people and pretty much real hebrew culture has been lost for thousands of years and only their cultural stories were perserved, but not their actual history and origins.

One other thing was that they were in the levante being controlled by Kemet as they ransacked them with the hyskos and made them paid tribute. They called Kemet a bully when they were just getting vegeance on them what they have done to Kemet.

It's clear that the three big religion are western asian cultures with african influence and some ideology.

This website goes real in depth but double check and do research, but my research led to this.

http://www.newenglishreview.org/Robert_Wolfe/From_Habiru_to_Hebrews%3A_The_Roots_of_the_Jewish_Tradition/" rel="nofollow - http://www.newenglishreview.org/Robert_Wolfe/From_Habiru_to_Hebrews%3A_The_Roots_of_the_Jewish_Tradition/

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:36am
I get where you are trying to go with this ilfbhm but its super unnecessary if we're talking about Christianity.  Christianity has many influences with its 100% adoption of the Torah which has many, many sources of religious history, HOWEVER, it was invented by and for Europeans.    They cobbled together all the books that weren't too out there and added a few things to insert themselves into the history and wallah!  Jesus is given a compilation of characteristics from multiple godmen (Mesopotamian and Hellenistic) but he is still Christ which is the key ingredient of "Christ"-ianity.  Like the way Volkswagens are from German engineering but maybe they weren't the first to do anti-lock brakes.

I know yt ppl already get credit for everything and giving them Christianity feels like a loss but its theirsUnhappy.  

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:40am

But y'all were ready to make salt circles in pebbles thread for the practicing of an African religion by her neighbours

I'm just pointing it out ..

I donno how y'all can not connect the dots..

FYI... The Greeks then the Anglos made Christianity the white man's. the European refugees brought it over from Europe

KFoxx

word.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:41am

LMAO, they are scared of any african religion Afro and call it demonic and evil. I rather practice Santeria or Ifa than any other West Asian religion. But for all intended purposes, spirituality is for individuals and religion is for controlled groups. I choose spirituality, nothing another man can't teach me or force me to learn that I can get from my own walk.

indeed.  i remember that "african gods" thread.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:47am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Was it a hot mess?LOL

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:54am

I get where you are trying to go with this ilfbhm but its super unnecessary if we're talking about Christianity.  Christianity has many influences with its 100% adoption of the Torah which has many, many sources of religious history, HOWEVER, it was invented by and for Europeans.    They cobbled together all the books that weren't too out there and added a few things to insert themselves into the history and wallah!  Jesus is given a compilation of characteristics from multiple godmen (Mesopotamian and Hellenistic) but he is still Christ which is the key ingredient of "Christ"-ianity.  Like the way Volkswagens are from German engineering but maybe they weren't the first to do anti-lock brakes.

I know yt ppl already get credit for everything and giving them Christianity feels like a loss but its theirsUnhappy.  

Lol, I'm not trying to take back the religion and we shouldn't, but we shouldn't give them credit for creating the religion. It's really the Essenes religion which got bastardized so badly it isn't even recognizable. Europeanized christianity is theirs, but the root is not theirs even though they desperately want to claim it. It's funny, I don't even get mad any more because it's pointless and but I do get kinda of peeved when real scholarly work is ignored heavily.

But yes, bottomline it's not African created religion and nor was it practice in any significance like Islam had over northern and some western africa did. And they are both were indoctrinated on us which it stems from us from the first place.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:58am
Maybe this but it wasn't out of the ordinary on this forum, possibly a different one, maybe it was the one with santeria folks doing their rituals late at night. Here is one of the Yoruba gods/goddesses

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-gods-that-were-taken-from-us_topic367517_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-gods-that-were-taken-from-us_topic367517_page1.html

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 12:04pm
People do practice the religion of their ancestors but most Blacks call it evil or black magic.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 12:07pm

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Was it a hot mess?LOL

my bad. wrong thread/forum. i think.LOL

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 12:09pm
Is it lipstick alley newdiva1

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:06pm
It had to have been the link posted. I just stopped reading after a particular comment. Didn't finish the thread.

But now having read it...I have to take back my previous post. It didn't finish so bad.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:28pm
I remember that one now.  I looked at the beautiful photos and kept in moving.  Somebody was about to start that shat but it stayed cool.   Looking at all of those photos and then the normal yt Jesus made me laugh.  My grandma had a picture of yt Jesus in her bedroom.  Now that I think about it, it always seems a little creepy to me. 

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:43pm
White Jesus reminds me of a slave master in a white gown saying "nicca stay in your monkey place". Scary crap, I never understood why Jesus was white when the people in that region were brown.  Now, I know.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:57pm

I remember that one now.  I looked at the beautiful photos and kept in moving.  Somebody was about to start that shat but it stayed cool.   Looking at all of those photos and then the normal yt Jesus made me laugh.  My grandma had a picture of yt Jesus in her bedroom.  Now that I think about it, it always seems a little creepy to me. 

does sound scary lol . we had black jesus'es.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

People do practice the religion of their ancestors but most Blacks call it evil or black magic.

LOL @ this and Afro's post about salt-circles.

I.cant
LOL

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 1:45am
Originally posted by purpulicious01 purpulicious01 wrote:

Prior to coming to the West as slaves, many of our (AA/Blacks) ancestors were Muslims. 

Majority of the slaves were taken from West Africa, a region that is, still to this day, predominately a Muslim population. 

To answer your question OP: yes, our ancestors did have their own religion when they came, and there were those that remained steadfast in practicing their faith (even though they were tortured and punished for doing so). 

thank you for answering my question ....i just wanted to know Y we never practiced our own religion...love the answers/responses here..

again thanks

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 1:51am
Originally posted by purpulicious01 purpulicious01 wrote:

OP, and anyone else interested in this topic:

There is a MASSIVE amount of research and study already done on this topic (there is even a museum in America dedicated to this topic alone), so I'll just drop a few names for starting points and suggested readings:

Servants of Allah: African Muslims Enslaved in the Americas by Sylviance A. Diouf

Quote Servants of Allah presents a history of African Muslims, following them from West Africa to the Americas.  Although many assume that what Muslim faith they brought with them to the Americas was quickly absorbed into the new Christian milieu, as Sylviane A. Diouf demonstrates in this meticulously-researched, groundbreaking volume, Islam flourished during slavery on a large scale. She details how, even while enslaved, many Muslims managed to follow most of the precepts of their religion. Literate, urban, and well-traveled, they drew on their organization, solidarity and the strength of their beliefs to play a major part in the most well-known slave uprisings. But for all their accomplishments and contributions to the history and cultures of the African Diaspora, the Muslims have been largely ignored.

Also, check out the biographies of Abdulrahman Ibrahim ibn Sori, Omar ibn Said, and more recently Malcolm X. 

Good to know our history and where we come from. 

thanks for this information...will definitely read...its so interesting to learn so much of our history and always wondered Y certain things never stayed with us when brought over here...I wonder how the black pastor's today feel of our ancestor's being of Muslim faith? I know my pastor would somehow defy this up and down, left and right and my dad also....i should bring this topic up with my dad and see what he says...he would probably blow a gasket..

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 6:37am

The historical facts and information would show clearly we were  either Muslim or practicing a local religion. There really is no data on christianity being in west africa, there was islam, but most of it wasn't even big in west africa, so voodun, ifa, and various other belief systems were a bit stronger with an tribal culture.

http://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/students/curriculum/m14/activity4.php" rel="nofollow - http://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/students/curriculum/m14/activity4.php

Black Americans can swear up and down but being a christian was forced upon us. Up until recently we were mostly all in the pews when it was Sunday.

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 10:32am

The historical facts and information would show clearly we were  either Muslim or practicing a local religion. There really is no data on christianity being in west africa, there was islam, but most of it wasn't even big in west africa, so voodun, ifa, and various other belief systems were a bit stronger with an tribal culture.

http://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/students/curriculum/m14/activity4.php" rel="nofollow - http://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/students/curriculum/m14/activity4.php

Black Americans can swear up and down but being a christian was forced upon us. Up until recently we were mostly all in the pews when it was Sunday.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:02am
Well of course many blacks were Muslim before they got here. They were getting their asses beat by Ishmael and their cousins way before the white man was thought about. Mecca was the largest slave port in the world at that time, with the Arab slave trade lasting for 14 centuries.  

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Unfortunately...this is very true...

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:12am
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Well of course many blacks were Muslim before they got here. They were getting their asses beat by Ishmael and their cousins way before the white man was thought about. Mecca was the largest slave port in the world at that time, with the Arab slave trade lasting for 14 centuries.  

I love your knowledge when it comes to these things.

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:22am

thank you I don't know why folks act like that ain't true. 

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/sexibeach_album/media/british-with-slave-trader_zps24c83947.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://themuslimissue.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/the-arab-slave-trade-and-200-million-non-muslim-slaves-of-all-skin-colors/ " rel="nofollow - https://themuslimissue.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/the-arab-slave-trade-and-200-million-non-muslim-slaves-of-all-skin-colors/ 

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:22am
It's mostly the muslim blacks that don't believe that the Arabs(fake) were getting forced and enslaved and the men becoming enuchs and the women becoming whores or concubines. Its a real travesty and it still goes on today. That's why morality and ethics shouldn't associated with religion as much and should be far from political and human development and should be personal.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:36am
I disagree that the majority of west Africans were Muslim prior to slavery. The northern parts that touched the desert/arab population yes. But south of that they had their own gods.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:43am
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

I love your knowledge when it comes to these things.
Embarrassed

But the information is out there though. You just got to go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:47am
In Brazil, blacks managed to keep their religion. I guess the Portuguese were nicer than the British. Not all blacks follow it, though, and some whites identify with it and chose it over Christianity.
One is Umbanda and the other is Candomble. They wear white, and some people do good and others do bad. I think umbanda is the bad one, or maybe some people do bad with it.

Basically there is a superior power that they believe, and all you have to do is be good. They don't discuss Jesus but don't also deny his existence. They believe Jesus was a nice man. They have different names for the saints, and some of the saints are stronger than others.

The people who would be consider a kind of priest or pastor is called Pai de Santo (which means Father of a Saint) and they help you if you go to them and say you can't find a job or whatever. It is not about removing curses, but more about opening your pathways or making someone who hates you forget about you, without hurting the person.

The bad is when they do a kind of voodoo to make someone fall in love with you, or have someone you dislike be hurt, etc. The bad ones use animals in the rituals. The good ones use food and cash.

Posted By: Ms_Kudos
Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:48am
Ya'll dropping some good links...much appreciated

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:50am
I think the Cubans  also managed to keep their religion rituals, and that's where santeria comes from too.
In Africa, blacks are mostly either Muslim or Christian. The few who aren't were able to continue the tradition from their ancestors.

In my opinion, and I don't want to offend anyone, I think everyone from all religions, worship the same God, but since we all speak different languages (and the idioms also changed throughout the centuries), God has a different name everywhere, but there is only one God. And he gives powers to his angels whom some people call saints, to help out people.

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 12:05pm

But the bible describes the people Jesus encountered during his peregrination as Jewish people, and the Jewish black community in Africa is very small.

Truth is, Christianity isn't the problem, but the people. In Luke 12:49, Jesus said that he wasn't bringing peace to the world, but division. It was not HIM who brought that, but the people who either didn't want others to become Christians, or many centuries later whom wanted everyone to be a Christian, whom killed in the "name" of Christianity, and who continue to hate because of their "religious" beliefs.

No religion is bad if you are not using it to crush someone else.

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 12:12pm
Is that you in the avi sexibeach?

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 12:14pm
I WISH!!!!!

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 12:14pm
Actually, if I had that long hair and wider hips like her and thicker thighs then... I would be f*cking hot.

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 12:16pm

Pic of yourself?

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 12:21pm
Tongue

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Tongue

OuchOuchOuch

Print Page | Close Window