Print Page | Close Window

do you have a male hair stylist?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368950
Printed Date: Dec 16 2017 at 2:24am

Topic: do you have a male hair stylist?
Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Subject: do you have a male hair stylist?
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 12:05pm

tbh from stalking celebrity instagrams i noticed a lot of them have an all male hair/makeup crew. i was just curious if male stylists was common amongst the average woman.

Replies:
Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 12:09pm
When I did get my hair 'did', it was always women. Imma continue to keep it sexist the next time I go to the salon.Cool

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 12:15pm
Gay men rule behind the scences Fashion/Music/Entertainment

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 12:18pm
I have a male weaver.....he cuts and install his ass off....I also have a female back up....Im about the talent.....however....Sam Fine (met him in person and he is flawless...no beyonce) would be my personal makeup artist if this world were mine....he beats a face downnnnnnnnnnn.

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 12:32pm
i have female hair stylists

i made an appt with a gay guy one time and he didnt show up...based on his instagram he's a good installer

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 12:38pm
Men for hair and women for makeup. I like drag queen hair and feminine makeup so it works out perfectly.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 12:42pm
Omg I want this dude to do my hair whenever I decide to get a sew in.
He is awesome.

I look this white guys makeup advice on YouTube

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 12:53pm
tried the male hair stylist thing didn't like the results/ ive yet to find a top stylist here yetWacko they just REALLY messy with hit or miss installs or natural care styles NOW when i was back in chicago i had a top stunner nail tech Vincent that boy is a artist with design creativity and gives killer pedicuresWink

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 1:02pm
I had a male stylist who used to do my relaxers in high school. To be honest, me and my friends did better jobs at home with box perms.

My mama was still going to him up until a month or so ago when I moved back. He has her hair all broken and a mess.

I forbade her from going back.

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 1:04pm
The last stylist who touched my hair was male. Wasn't happy with him though because his flamboyant fingers ended up sewing my weave too tight and I had to remove it after 2 weeks. Don't think that was entirely his fault though. My hair cannot deal with weave anymore, however loose.

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 1:29pm
I did when i was growing up...and he was straight. He had to put a sign up in his salon about women trying to pay him with p*ssy and food stamps. lol... It didn't help that he was super fine in addition to being able to do hair. But he was a really stand up guy. He was about his business and giving back to the community. 

the wordage in the sign was very tasteful though. 

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Men for hair and women for makeup. I like drag queen hair and feminine makeup so it works out perfectly.

Heart

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:17pm
I think it's kinda f*cked up people take men more seriously than women no matter what the industry. A female couldn't break into a male industry and just take over and get famous and demand respect and charge ludicrous prices. 

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

I think it's kinda f*cked up people take men more seriously than women no matter what the industry. A female couldn't break into a male industry and just take over and get famous and demand respect and charge ludicrous prices. 

Umm the men in the fashion/makeup industry are feminine so its not the same. There are more female hair stylist that are bomb than males. Some may stand out more than others because they put themselves out there. Monet Crochet ain't charging no kitchen basement prices.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:26pm
But yes I have let a man do my hair but he was white. This is when I was relaxed. I got his number through this girl I saw whose haircut was really nice and I wanted to get my hair cut to shoulder length. He cut my hair perfect but I felt he was rushing on my hair because I wanted a relaxer and he told me I didn't need one. I know what type of hair I have and what the f*ck I need. Then he and another girl blow dried my hair talmbout "You have a lot of hair!" I was like wtf, why do they need to people to blow dry someone's hair?Then flat ironed my hair when I preferred roller setting and wrapping. Then had the nerve to tell me both methods did the same thing. The he told some other girl that worked there to call some hair/beauty supply store and ask what time they closed and to tell them he could be there at 4:20. I was like 3:50. That shyt pissed me off. One thing you don't do is rush on a black woman's hair. I got one more relaxer six months after that (from someone else) and then I transitioned.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Umm the men in the fashion/makeup industry are feminine so its not the same. There are more female hair stylist that are bomb than males. Some may stand out more than others because they put themselves out there. Monet Crochet ain't charging no kitchen basement prices.

Yeah you right, I just feel like the relatively few men in the field are overly represented and command more respect than their female counterparts like just because they are a gay man they automatically know what they are doing. It should be about your skills, but I would still give a female stylist a chance and not assume the gay man is better just because we see them on TV.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:38pm
Women do tattoos and that's a male dominated industry.
Women barbers r the truth too.
Women dj's kill.

A guy does my hair, natural and weave. He's fine and straight. He said he started doing hair because a chick made $300 for a sew in in the time it took him to do like 10 haircuts lol.

He also does my make up and eye brows.

I don't mind women doing my hair. It just so happened that I met him at a time when I was trying to find someone who knew how to keep hair healthy and didn't charge as much as this beautiful black woman I was going to. She could really do hair and was quick too. My guy is super slow, but just as talented.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Women do tattoos and that's a male dominated industry.
Women barbers r the truth too.
Women dj's kill.

A guy does my hair, natural and weave. He's fine and straight. He said he started doing hair because a chick made $300 for a sew in in the time it took him to do like 10 haircuts lol.

He also does my make up and eye brows.

I don't mind women doing my hair. It just so happened that I met him at a time when I was trying to find someone who knew how to keep hair healthy and didn't charge as much as this beautiful black woman I was going to. She could really do hair and was quick too. My guy is super slow, but just as talented.

i've gotten a tattoo from a woman and one of my barbers when i was growin up was a woman as well, may she rest in peace.

my cousin(male) is a barber but a lot of women come to him to get their eyebrows done.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:49pm
my bestie has had a male stylist for as long as I've known her (same stylist). He's straight too. Slow, late all the time, she has to wait  in his studio parking lot for hours sometime for her appts. But she loves him, clearly LOL.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:50pm
I'm my husband's barber.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

my bestie has had a male stylist for as long as I've known her (same stylist). He's straight too. Slow, late all the time, she has to wait  in his studio parking lot for hours sometime for her appts. But she loves him, clearly LOL.
yea its crazy how patient people are when it comes to their hair. what type of cut do you give your hubby?

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:05pm
basic low cut. He'd shoot me if I gave him something fancy/a style lol. He's a simple fellow, w/ a high maintenance gal .

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:42pm

Is his name Tony? lol

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:45pm

I'm my husband's barber.

That is so sweet. My husband let me cut off his jheri curl back in the day lol

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:49pm
ive had a man do my hair/make up before....not gonna lie....he was puttin women to shame...
...ppl seem to think they usually are..but i dont think he was gay.Smile

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:50pm

I'm my husband's barber.
i used to be for my ex. i dont know why that was always fun for me.LOL

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:51pm

Is his name Tony? lol

LOL

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

I'm my husband's barber.
i used to be for my ex. i dont know why that was always fun for me.LOL

it used to be fun for me too
(25 years later, he needs to make an appointment LOL)

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:53pm

I'm my husband's barber.

That is so sweet. My husband let me cut off his jheri curl back in the day lol

LOL
that was a public service I'm sure

Heart

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:14pm
Male hair stylist stayed booked up and seemed to have no time for the likes of me.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:31pm
Hair styling was a male dominant industry from the beginning tho.....they didn't infiltrate.....we did......

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

Gay men rule behind the scences Fashion/Music/Entertainment

they do I had a guy that lived next door to me, he was in fashions making his own designs.. makeup all that, I'd go other there he'd do my hair, beat my face (makeup) put me in his clothes and I was ready for my vogue photo shoot.. YES GAWD!!!!!!!! so mad he left to pursue his career in New York..he's the only person that cut my hair and it automatically curled up and stayed curled.. he was fierce..  

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:12pm
only as a walk-in

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:22pm
I've only had 2 male stylists touch my hair both of them were straight and Black

1. Marion Summers back when I had relaxed hair... he was aight

2. His names was Michael and he blew my natural hair out. Best person to have ever laid hands on this head

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 7:54am
I've never had a male stylist...only old. old school black women.Ermm

I do have a relative that dated a hairdresser back in the day.  I wish she married him instead of...nvrmd off topic.

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 8:40am
I had a male stylist back in the days from a hair salon called BHI!  He was THE BOMB.COM!! Layered my hair like nobody's bizniz.  He stayed booked.  Lost contact once I moved out of the states.

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 8:56am
my uncle is a straight hairstylist, minister and ho all wrapped up in one. he doesn't do locs but i'd let him do my hair if it was loose

Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 8:59am
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

my uncle is a straight hairstylist, minister and ho all wrapped up in one. he doesn't do locs but i'd let him do my hair if it was loose

I didn't know you had locs, pics? (resident hair stalker)

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 9:01am
I had one when I was relaxed. He was pretty good and was constantly busy.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 9:04am
I had a male stylist in College. And he was great. Took care of my hair.I have had one do a weave install...I was not too pleased..braiding was off. The whole shop were men only 2 women worked in that shop.

Posted By: el_bandido
Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 9:24am
I wanna learn how to do hair tbh 

Print Page | Close Window