Forum Name: Weaves / Extensions
Forum Description: Discussions on Weaves
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368949
Printed Date: Sep 19 2017 at 10:58am

Topic: HELP: Lace vs. Silk
Posted By: ~taki~
Subject: HELP: Lace vs. Silk
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:37am
So this will be the first time I wear a closure and want it to look natural. 

I ordered the deep curly hair from yummy hair and a deep curly closure.  Just realized that it is lace.Stern Smile
MonetCrochet will be installing it so Im not concerned with it being done properly but I dont want those grids.  Should I cancel my order for the closure and get a silk one from closureaddicts? 

What would you do?

Replies:
Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:41am
If you are scared to bleach the knots yourself then you can ask the stylist to do it, but they usually charge an additional fee.

Posted By: KeraNykole
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:45am
I prefer lace over silk because IMO, it looks and lays more natural than silk.
If you're stylist knows what she's doing, have her bleach the knots for you...and adding a very thin scalp colored peice of fabric underneath the closure can also yield a more natural look.

Be sure to come back with pictures! Yummy deep curly will be my next purchase Big smile

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:48am
Good info.  If it lays better and its the same curl pattern I may need to keep it. 

I probably could bleach the knots successfully but I think I have been doing too much research because I am 2nd guessing myself with all of these opinions..lol

Is there such a thing as being over informed...lol

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:49am
Originally posted by KeraNykole KeraNykole wrote:

If you're stylist knows what she's doing, have her bleach the knots for you...and adding a very thin scalp colored peice of fabric underneath the closure can also yield a more natural look.

Be sure to come back with pictures! Yummy deep curly will be my next purchase Big smile

Will do. 

Always love your installs btw.

Posted By: KeraNykole
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:52am
Originally posted by ~taki~ ~taki~ wrote:

Will do. 

Always love your installs btw.

Thanks!! Wink
And good luck!

Posted By: missyo67
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 11:35am
I prefer lace too!!  I wanna see pictures as I am considering Monet for an install.

Posted By: growlonghair
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:31pm

Agree with your post. Am used to hearing about silicon bandaids but what type of fabric are you using under there? Nylon? Dead, I bet not then what? Tongue

Posted By: harley_quinn
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:48pm
I prefer silk. Lace is too much work for me.

Posted By: josieteeh
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 11:22pm
I prefer lace. I hate silk based closures and that line of demarcation . Lace and silk seems about the same amount of work, lace you have to bleach knots or feaux bleach and silk bases you'd have to darken the scalp if its to light. So I think its about the same. I just prefer lace. Good luck on your install I know its going to be nice if Monet's doing it.

Posted By: msjaim2
Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 1:49am
I prefer silk closures. I've never had an issue with a line of demarcation. Always leave it a little bit behind hairline.I would do a little Zigzag cut so would not have a straight line where my hair starts. lace closures arent really bad either but sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with all of the steps to make it look as natural as possible.

Posted By: rredict
Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 8:22am
I prefer lace. Silk closures are too bulky. I think lace looks more natural. Silk are also a lot more expensive.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 10:49am
It depends on who is doing your silk closure. Ive had 4 silk base vlosures and it was 50/50 for flatness and bulk

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 10:51am
I wear both and like both, i do like that silk looks more realistic scalp if ur vendor sends a color that matches. I am a minimalist so i dont do all that concealer, stocking, fabric etc. I dont even bleach my knots and it still looks fine in person b cuz people look crazy when i tell them it aint my scalp..lol. My scalp is the same color as my skin tone so those other methods make my lace or part area look weird. I also wear it behind my hair line and on a silk closure i cut the lace all the way back to silk so there is not a big line of demarcation. Let me find pics

Posted By: harley_quinn
Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 12:27pm
I've only gotten my silk closures from one place, maybe that's why it's easier for me. The best thing to do is test them out because you never know which one you'll like until you try it.

Posted By: Brown Sugah
Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 10:21pm

Are you referring to a silk stocking as the thin colored fabric?EmbarrassedConfused

Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by mzsophisticated mzsophisticated wrote:

I wear both and like both, i do like that silk looks more realistic scalp if ur vendor sends a color that matches. I am a minimalist so i dont do all that concealer, stocking, fabric etc. I dont even bleach my knots and it still looks fine in person b cuz people look crazy when i tell them it aint my scalp..lol. My scalp is the same color as my skin tone so those other methods make my lace or part area look weird. I also wear it behind my hair line and on a silk closure i cut the lace all the way back to silk so there is not a big line of demarcation. Let me find pics

Good info. I would love to see pics😀

Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by josieteeh josieteeh wrote:

I prefer lace. I hate silk based closures and that line of demarcation . Lace and silk seems about the same amount of work, lace you have to bleach knots or feaux bleach and silk bases you'd have to darken the scalp if its to light. So I think its about the same. I just prefer lace. Good luck on your install I know its going to be nice if Monet's doing it.

Faux bleach? Aww wth? This hair stuff is more than a notion. Lol.
About to google the difference

Posted By: ILOVEBEYONCE
Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 3:10pm

I felt like I mastered lace but couldnt stand the grids (lace is lace, idc whatchu heard! Aint enough fabric in the world to not make it look like lace if you get close enough) so I decided to try a silk (from Jeffery). Tinting the lace (used rit dye) wasnt bad at all, equal effort I put in to bleach knots. After really really really wanting to be a silk girl, Im back to the lace. Why? It lays flatter. Silk closures are a tad bulky to start and unfortunately I had the wrong braid pattern (rushing my sister at 2am lol) for ONE DAY and I basically had to change the entire part to hide the mold of the braid shape thats now in my closure. Ive tried washing it, stretching it with tpins to flatten, errthang and it wont budge. Imma stick to LACE for 100 please. Plus, my lace MELTS into my hairline..that line of demarcation really aint no joke.

Posted By: Junique_22
Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 6:19pm
I have unused Yummy hair in the texture you want and a closure from silkbasedclosures.c

Posted By: josieteeh
Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 7:30pm

They say "feaux bleaching is like adding concealer to the underside of the lace instead of bleachin which I think is a bad idea because no matter what concealer people use the scalp always ends up look to orange-ish and idk many people with orange scalps    but feaux bleachin is using anything but bleach to help cover up the knots.

Posted By: Junique_22
Date Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 7:00am
I have unused Yummy loose curl and deep curl add well as a curly silk closure
Email Precision.Hair@Yahoo.com

I sell hair now and bought the tiny hair 3 weeks before. It's the 14-16"

Print Page | Close Window