Print Page | Close Window

Homeless man is given winning lottery ticket

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368947
Printed Date: Oct 16 2018 at 12:12pm

Topic: Homeless man is given winning lottery ticket
Posted By: Random Thoughts
Subject: Homeless man is given winning lottery ticket
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:35am
A popular youtube prankster (the magician that pranks fast food restaurants) set up a scenario with a store clerk to make a homeless man believe he has won on a $1000 lotto ticket. In reality, he had simply been given $1000 by the youtuber. The homeless man is grateful when he "wins" and tries to share the "winnings" with the youtuber.

..there is a debate as to whether this is exploitative or an actual nice gesture. What say you?

Replies:
Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:38am
i just literally watched this

its sad to see people debating whether its for views or not
the fact is he gave that man some money and helped

foh with the views sh*t

i just think the best of people, and im sure the video makes people want to do something nice too, well for me it did at least

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:43am
Comment from one of the people thinking it was self serving.

First of all, you can't deny the fact that the video is self-serving. The intention and plan was clearly to make this into a youtube video for the purpose of entertainment. While the end results was ultimately good, some will no doubt find a distaste to it due to the fact that the homeless is used to prop up a message without their knowledge/consent. It is important in this case to consider the benefactor's intentions (ex: companies using homeless as wi-fi hotspots) or whether they're exploiting a homeless trope (Fitch for Homeless campaign.)

Second, the video is success because the result turned out to be good. However, one has to wonder what if the result didn't turn out to be good? What if the homeless was to take the money and run? freak out and make it into a funny youtube video? Will the youtuber still give away his money? Self-serving activism is usually not encouraged by large charities because you don't want to create an expectation for people when they're doing charity. Otherwise, like others said - you're treating the other individuals like a monkey, here's a banana only if you turn out to be a grateful homeless that plays to our feel-good needs (ex: local televisions during holiday times.)

Finally, despite of what many people think, some homeless do value their dignity before money. They don't always enjoy being treated "extra nicely" because someone perceive them as an outcast/differently or of special needs. The video would have perhaps better ended if the homeless was told that he was deceived, see if he still accepts the money and then interview him to ask how he feels about the whole thing.

Just my 2 cents from personal experience with volunteering & working with charity groups.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:46am
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

i just literally watched this

its sad to see people debating whether its for views or not
the fact is he gave that man some money and helped

foh with the views sh*t

i just think the best of people, and im sure the video makes people want to do something nice too, well for me it did at least

it is for views, and it is exploitative. the guy is in the business of getting views.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:50am
Fwiw, and it might not be worth much, the youtuber has also done at least 5 pranks in "the hood" videos.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:51am
that is so but if hes already popular on youtube, what does the views matter? 
he probably has a fanbase that he gets regular views from
i looked at the side, and alot of his videos were already in the millions for views.
not much of a difference...

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:52am
vitaly would have a better argument

pt 2

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:56am
Exploitative.

I hate when good gestures are made public by the person doing the good gesture. Like, it was a nice thing to do...but the very same act could've been done sans camera. I like when good deeds are done on the hush, the blessings will eventually come and not in the form of a youtube view.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:58am

that is so but if hes already popular on youtube, what does the views matter? 
he probably has a fanbase that he gets regular views from
i looked at the side, and alot of his videos were already in the millions for views.
not much of a difference...

This is one of his most viral videos. Nearly 2 million in less than 24 hours. He's already made back the $1000.  Plus the "warm and fuzzy feel good" nature of this video will attract new subscribers that likely have never heard of his other pranks.

Original content creators are always looking for new ways to keep people interested in their channel, especially if they are only known for one thing; in his instance the fastfood prank videos.

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:59am
So the homeless man keeps the G??
If that's so, the video may be self serving but in my opinion it's earned the right to a little attention.

He's public with it but the choice is who is he trying to impress?? God or man.
If he's a non believer, he appreciates the attention given by his viewers.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:04am
say you give a home less man $100 without recording it, what makes your gesture better?

im sure you'd make that $100 back too 

people do things for their own benefit, yes.. 
but i still think it was nice. those extra views aint going to drastically change anything. it goes around for couples days and he makes a new video.

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

didn't watch

so the man was able to keep the $1000?

can someone prank me today?

I can use several of this pranks today.LOL

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:16am

say you give a home less man $100 without recording it, what makes your gesture better?

I'm not sure if better describes the exchange. Genuine would be a better term. I'm not sure niceness is involved when there is exploitation. 

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:17am
omg that homeless man made me tear up
he was so nice and tried to share it Cry
bhm let me log off for the next 3-5 days got me in my feelings

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:35am
For those saying there's the end result is the same and the camera doesn't change anything...

Say you and your s/o are in a serious relationship. You're going steady for a while. About a year into the relationship, your s/o reveals he was paid regularly by your co-worker as a dare to pursue you and take you out.

Whether he was paid to date you or if he simply pursued you because of his own interest, the end result is still a relationship...so what's the difference?

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:39am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

For those saying there's the end result is the same and the camera doesn't change anything...

Say you and your s/o are in a serious relationship. You're going steady for a while. About a year into the relationship, your s/o reveals he was paid regularly by your co-worker as a dare to pursue you and take you out.

Whether he was paid to date you or if he simply pursued you because of his own interest, the end result is still a relationship...so what's the difference?

Good dick is good dick.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:40am
Hey I can say dick now.

coochie.

Bitch.

Chronicles of Riddick.

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:53am
i wonder what he'll do with that 1 grand. what would y'all do?

i'd probably buy me a cheap motel room for a week. i figure i can get one for $200-300 bucks. probably spend the rest on food and liquor, tbh.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 10:56am
if you dont have a foundation, aint much you could do with 1k, he probably gonna burn it on prostitutes and liquor.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 11:21am
i was wondering what he'd do with it too.. 
(didnt watch)

id probably put it towards my next trip. id like a shopping spree in paris and a few places in italy. 

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 11:26am
Just one grand out the blue?

Just don't touch it

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 1:51pm
I thought it was beautiful. Even if he did it for views, he still helped a man out. He really didn't have too.

I mean when was the last time any of yall gave a homeless man $1000?

I'll wait.

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 1:56pm
I agree with BB

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 1:59pm
I'm really hoping I get 1G today.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

That's not even on the same wave length as this.  He's a youtube performer, not much different than a tv show like boiling points on mtv or that abc what would you do show...He's bringing some humor to an act of charity.  It's just a money transaction, not finding out your love life is built on a lie which has the potential to ruin your life.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:09pm
IIIII don't see the problem. People will make an issue out of anything.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I thought it was beautiful. Even if he did it for views, he still helped a man out. He really didn't have too.

I mean when was the last time any of yall gave a homeless man $1000?

I'll wait.

He's helping one homeless man out in-between secretly filming people "in the hood" and other "homeless people" people for kicks and giggles (and per click revenue).

I'd actually agree that the man's reaction was beautiful. Doesn't make the comedians gesture any less disingenuous or exploitative. But some people are cool with the tap dance for my amusement routine as long as the tap dancer gets a buck out of it.

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:13pm
I don't care

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:40pm
I'm not a fan of public charity in general. I like it more when people do things when no one is looking or knows.

Unless making it public will help by encouraging others to do something. Iif he made this vid as a challenge for his viewers to go out and donate to a homeless person; record it. Then challenge their friends to do same, etc (pass it on). I like that.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:44pm
Honestly, people may be acting like this youtuber is wrong, but what about Ellen Degeneres exploiting the pizza man? He wasn't paid to do a cameo on the Oscars, people all over the globe saw his face and he wasn't even tipped properly - but she thinks that she was doing him a favor for "meeting" a bunch of rich famous people and giving out pizzas.
She had Pharrel's hat out and got 300 bucks but the guy only got 150. Why did she keep the rest?

And I am happy for this homeless man, he got money and it is good for him, but I am afraid that he will now believe that lottery is his salvation from poverty and will continuously buy lottery tickets thinking he will win like "that day".

It is obvious that the video was made so he could get some views. In no moment this person wanted to be kind, he just wanted people to feel fuzzy and warm inside.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:49pm
well I just wanna know how he did the floating dollar thing?

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 6:16pm
aww that was nice.Heart

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 8:08pm

this video got me in my feelingsCry

I cried so hard when he started tearing up..that touched my heart man

Lord Jesus.Cry

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

CryCryCry

hold meCry

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 8:14pm

Im not sure I like the fact that was recorded though.
Even though it was a nice gesture to give him this money, video taping this helpless man got me feeling another type of way.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 8:35pm
i thought the pizza guy was tipped $1000… 

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 8:51pm
I didn't like the floating dollar in the hood video. He exploited those folks.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 8:59pm
He gave them the dollar though.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:02pm
CryCryCryCryCryCry  y oh y....i am so crying right nowCryCryCryCryCryCryx's 1,000,000

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

right????

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:36pm
So this yt guy pulls tricks 'in da hood' on negroes and then gives a homeless negro some money in a kinda not really prank. Hmmm. Are his pranks primarily in the 'hood'?

I like the fact the homeless man received money but I would have to know more about his other videos to get a better idea of his intentions.

Posted By: PurrPoZe
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:47pm
He's a youtuber..isn't that what they do..record their lives, thoughts, jokes, etc? Is charity the main focus of his channel or is pranks? The prank recording youtuber makes one his recorded pranks a nice one and people are complaining. I'm missing something somewhere I know it...can't be that simple

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:53pm
He does pranks.
So he stayed in his element and turned his charity into a prank.
Idgaf.

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:03pm

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:08pm
Heart

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:19pm
It was a wonderful gesture. I am not going to read anything more into it.
The unfortunate man may not have accepted $1,000 in cash if it was simply handed to him, but 'winning' the lottery may have been more acceptable.
His gratitude made me   

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:36pm

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:38pm
i take back my suspicious thoughts about that YT guy

he has a beautiful spiritHeart

this is so niceCryClap

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:45pm
awww

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

This validates my belief that there are Angels among us.
Eric already has a new job, and have an opportunity to start over and have a better life.

He is so gracious and humble.

Heartwarming

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 5:08pm
Ooph...right in the feels. 

That... Hit me right in my feels....

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 5:32pm
TBH, I think most people do things for self-serving purposes.  Some people who believe in deities perform good deeds in order to win favor with their god.  Some people who don't believe in deities perform good deeds because it makes them feel good.  Rarely do you ever see someone giving a homeless person a sandwich because that person is hungry.

This youtuber did a good thing.  Whether he recorded it or not is only secondary to helping someone in need.  It's not nearly as bad as shows like undercover boss, which involves people actually acting in order to get the message across that corporations sometimes do the right thing. 

This video and others like it might inspire viewers to actually stop and give a 20 to the next homeless person they see on the street.

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 7:42pm

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 7:53pm
omg this is so awesomeClapCry

just keeps getting better and betterHeart

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 10:31pm
So happy to see an update on this story.

Paying back (in a good way)

One person at a time

Pass it on....

"What a wonderful world"

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 11:05pm
This really did turn into a good story.  

I am always saddened by how surprised people are at a genuinely nice gesture.  It's crazy that we live in a world where that's the last thing so many people expect.  I'm a people watcher.  I see people with these hardened faces going about their business and it's nuts how something so small can brighten a person's entire face.  It's crazy how often people say thank you for listening through their tears at work and I feel guilty because honestly I'm being paid to be there.  I don't know....

You watch kids and how loving and accepting and happy they are and can't help but wonder sometimes, what the heck happens to us?  

I love the fact that with either of the homeless men's videos, we don't hear their story.  I love that because it doesn't matter!!  A lot of times people want to hear the story so they can see if they should empathize with the person's situation first.  

I must admit ONE thing irked me about this.  How do you monitor someone's spending?  Especially when you don't know if they were ever educated in personal finance?  I am grown and married with kids and still learning how to manage my money.  It's mine and every year is better than the last but I've had to teach myself because that wasn't something I learned at home.  So if Eric was never taught money management and say.....spends "too much" on something the youtuber deems frivolous, what's the repercussions?  

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 11:38pm

Print Page | Close Window