Print Page | Close Window

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Natural Hair Care
Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368937
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 4:34pm

Topic: The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)
Posted By: pinkecube
Subject: The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)
Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 11:52am
THE MAX HYDRATION METHOD As talked about, proven, and explained in my other post, "wash and gos 'don't work' on Nappy hair"(this method is ideal for those with majority of type 4 hair, but can be adjusted for other hair types depending on your hair's needs):

in order for this method to work the most quickly and effectively; accurate, consistent, and frequent application of this method must be done on the hair. i'd say at least daily, but dont stretch it longer that every 3 days. this is how long conditioner will last in the hair.  while doing this be mindful of what your hair likes, so you can choose the proper options that will best benefit your hair.

you need to also have a proper understanding of the products and other things you put on your hair that your hair loses moisture from. this needs to be more than just a shallow understanding of "softness always means moisture" which is False. you need to understand what things affect (block) how your hairshaft actually absorbs the moisture, and what isnt effective enough to seal it in. this understanding can be better made by trying to read more of my post, "Wash and goes "don't work" on Nappy Hair".

even though i target this at those type 4s with low poros hair, if you believe you have naturally high porosity hair and are type 4 still experiment and see if this works for you. also make sure to do a strand test on hair ph balanced, clean hair for the most accurate results. its likely if your hair falls in many of the symptoms that i described in my other post, you could be mistaking your hairs porosity, or even mistaking natural porosity for temporarily opened cuticles.

if your hair is high porus from some sort of damage, you can still benefit from this regimen greatly. danabnatural does a version of this regimen and recovered from the adverse effect hair coloring did on her hair.

Prep step for first timer

If you're doing this method for the first time, I would suggest starting off with a Modified or regular Cherry Lola Treatment. After that, this can be done as often as every 2 weeks. I myself have only done the treatment twice. The first time I did it I did the regular version, only I didn't have liquid aminos. The second time I did the modified version, along with the liquid aminos. This was a few months ago, but I noticed and still notice the effect it had on my hair. It is what set me up to have root to tip definition in certain areas of my hair.

The modified version is a combination of the Caramel Treatment, and Cherry Lola

Ingredients:
Greek yogurt (2 cups)
Baking soda (2 tbsp)
Organic apple cider vinegar (2 tbsp)
Raw coconut aminos(or just regular aminos, but i personally didn't like soy in my hair) (2 tbsp)
Raw honey (1/2 tbsp)
Unsulfured molasses (1 tbsp)
Half an over ripe plantain or banana
Avocado (3/4 tbsp)
1 egg (optional, but I used it no problem)

blend the ingredients in your blender.
saturate your dry (but detangled) hair completely from root to tip with the mixture.
put a shower cap and let sit for 1.5-2 hours.
Rinse out completely with warm/hot water.
co wash with botanical/cg friendly conditioner. ( whatever you wash your hair with will be absorbed into the hair shaft, so no silicones, parabens, sulfates, drying denatured alcohol)
apply more conditioner but leave it in.
seal with botanical gel

if you choose to do the regular recipe, it is the same as this only substract the vinegar, overriped banana and advocado, egg, and molasses. after doing this you can cowash. and continue on from there to a wash and go. DONT do an acv rinse directly after this. You can do a cowash and maybe do a cold rinse with conditioner afterword and that will be enough to reclose the cuticle. The point of temporarily opening the hair cuticle is so the moisture can get in, it makes no sense to just reclose it before actually putting the moisture in your hair.

EDIT: ACTUALLY, an excellent option would be to ghe or deep condition overnight directly after rinsing out the treatment. this applies to both the modified version, and the regular version. in the morning you can make methods to close your cuticle, or even just proceed to wash and go. this will quicken the pace of your hydration retention levels, and i actually think this is the best way to take advantage of the treatment.

Step 1: Clarify

Option 1: Apple cider vinegar rinse. You do a 1:1 ratio of apple cider vinegar with water in an applicator bottle. Apply in sections. Let it sit in the hair for 30- 1 hr before rinsing.

Option 2: Baking soda rinse. Mix 1.5 tablespoons of baking soda into 1/3 a cup conditioner. Apply to hair in sections and let sit on the hair for 10-30 minutes.

Option 3: Alternating between either rinse. You can opt to do each rinse every other day/night. It's up to you to experiment.

Step 2: Cowash&detangle

Option 1: Apply warm conditioner in your hair in sections. Let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse out with warm water, while detangling under the water. if you are doing this step, first pour the conditioner into a microwavable bowl, and microwave for no more than 10-15 sec if you are using the microwave to heat your conditioner. NEVER just stick the bottle of conditioner straight into the microwave. no. trust me. Stern Smile

Option 2: Apply conditioner to your hair in sections, and deep condition by covering your hair in a shower cap. Maybe put a scarf over it to trap heat. This can be done overnight, as exceedinggrace mentioned in her post. The first two steps can actually be done before bed. in the morning, you can detangle your hair before going in the shower or also under the running water in section, your hair will have enough slip to detangle outside of the shower though.

Option 3: Apply conditioner to you hair, put on a shower cap, and steam your hair.Akedafitgirl does this once a week, and does her hair every 2-3 days. I would recommend trying to do it more often, as her hair already has maximum hydration, we are trying to build that up. detangle before getting in the shower and in the shower under the running water, similar to the prior option.

EDIT: sorry guys, i forgot to mention this is also the step you detangle your hair in!

Step 3: Bentonite clay rinse
With all options, leave the rinse on the hair for at least 15 minutes before rinsing, and remember to apply in sections.

Option 1: Bentonite clay rinse with out apple cider vinegar

ingredients(rough measurements):
1 cup bentonite clay
1.5 cup warm water
1 tbspn of honey
1 tblspn of olive oil

Option 2: bentonite clay with apple cider vinegar Same, just add vinegar.

Option 3: Ready made bentonite clay rinse, or any other type of clay used to clarify hair examples like rohsoul clay (excuse me if that's misspelled, I will go back to correct it) or terrasentials.

Step 4: Leave in Conditioner
Following the cg rules, avoid any conditioner with silicones, sulfates, and drying alchols. Other than that, apply thoroughly in sections, you really want you hair to be wet. application techniques include smoothing and raking, twirling or whatever technique works for you. These are suggestions, there's no set rule on specific application techniques imo, just apply enough so your hair glides through and you feel slip. Same with gel.

Step 5: Apply Botanical Gel of your choice

Option 1: use a small amount of oil (or however much you feel you need) for extra sealing before gel if you find you need it, for more softness.
 Layering options can be LCO, or LCOC, but Never do the LOC layering order. oil is not a moisturizer, its a sealant. you wouldnt put gel on b4 conditioner, so don't practice that with oil.Shocked

Option2: don't. it's up to you.

In application of gel, you should be putting enough so you can feel the gel slip, that way you know it's coated the hair. A technique that has worked for me is starting the gel application at the base of the section, like i'm slicking my edges or applying a root touch up with hair dye. then smooth it down the rest of the strand and proceed to rake, smooth, and spread the gel evenly. Apply more gel if you need to spread it further. Do this in sections and twirl and clip the sections away with a shower clip as you go along. This will help keep you organized. When I both the leave in and gel step, it takes 30-40 minutes, so it's fast in comparison to what I needed to do before. after timing myself, i found both the leave in step and the gel step took me a combined total of 34 minutes and 8 seconds. however, i section my hair and do both steps as i go along instead of going over my entire head twice.

This is the step where you will see your curls pop and clump together.

Finished.

Optional step for stretching

Step 6: stretching options

Option 1: Clipping

Rachaelcpr actually does something similar to this one of her videos. I recommend taking as many sections as you need, twirling/rolling/single twisting/French roll whatever you call it, and clipping it in place. Leave it like that for maybe 30 minutes or as you get dressed, take the clips out, and shake. This should give a slight stretch.

Option 2: Wear your hair in a rolled half ponytail

You can actually do this on short hair. Just section the top of your hair (the part used in making a half pony) and section that into two on either sides(left and right).

Take one section of freshly defined hair (don't worry about it being wet, the definition stays) and roll it towards the back of your head like a French roll, pinning in place. (Make sure not to pull the hair too taught when rolling. The pins will be enough to keep the look in place without over flattening the curl definition) Do the same with the other side. Wear this for the day. When you get back, your hair will be dry. Take the pins out, unroll your hair and shake. Your hair will be stretched but sticking up. Take a satin scarf and arrange your hair the way you want it to fall before gently securing it (not to tight).

By the morning your hair will be a smushed, but the curls will remain unfrizzy, and they won't be completely oblitherated either (a big problem I would have w/ set styles) because of the gel. Now take you fingers to your roots and jiggle them in a back and forth motion, gently. This should shake loose your now stretched curls for second day hair. If you want a stretch for third day, you only have to put the scarf on your head to sleep.

This should stretch the top half of your hair for a bob like shape, but won't interfere with the curl pattern like twisting and braiding would imo, and also with out drying your hair out with heat.

The reason why I am posting this in a separate thread, is so people can more easily find the actual method incase they don't want to browse through a sea of comments to find it.

For more information and indepth explantation, view my other topic post, "Wash and gos "don't work" on Nappy hair"

Replies:
Posted By: kwicherbichen
Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 2:01pm
Pinkecube, I sent you a private message with my e-mail address. I have already made a connection with a woman who sells natural hair products and she is interested in the method. I told her that we can send her blog posts to promote MAX HYDRATION METHOD and anything related to it and also feature us in her upcoming e-book.

I'm really serious about working on the details of this. 

I also have to ask, why combine ACV and Baking soda? Isn't an alkaline needed to lift the follicle for low porosity hair?

What about replacing ACV with milk of magnesia (which is more base than baking soda)?

Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by kwicherbichen kwicherbichen wrote:

Pinkecube, I sent you a private message with my e-mail address. I have already made a connection with a woman who sells natural hair products and she is interested in the method. I told her that we can send her blog posts to promote MAX HYDRATION METHOD and anything related to it and also feature us in her upcoming e-book.

I also have to ask, why combine ACV and Baking soda? Isn't an alkaline needed to lift the follicle for low porosity hair?

What about replacing ACV with milk of magnesia (which is more base than baking soda)?

Hi, kwicherbichen, sorry im late in replying this, I didn't see this before logging out.

I addressed this concern that Ladyaradia had and i'm reposting the reason I think its fine that did that below:

lADYARADIA:I sent you a PM about using baking soda WITH vinegar in your cherry lola dupe formula you made up above. ( They need to be put on separately with the vinegar in a final rinse. You can not mix them together! I like to avoid them both actually because they dry the hair

MY RESPONSE:

"the reason i adjusted the recipe was actually because it foamed more. i believe that contributed to my results.

Greek yogurt, which is the LARGEST portion of the recipe, already has a low ph 4.25- 4.5, and bc of that the recipe already does already foam.

the effect when i used it on my hair was very effective, i had a lot of root to tip definition from it, and i was amazed.

the drying factor is why both honey and overripened advocado and overripened banana was added to the recipe. let me also add that the ph of both ripened banana and ripened advocado are actually both alkaline."

If you want to try both recipies some time, you can actually test the ph of both an compare them. I truly think the addition of the banana and advocado, balances out (not neutralize) the effect of me putting in only 2 tablespoons of vinegar. So the ph of the original cherry lola treatment and this one should fall in about the same place, and effectiveness. I could adjust the measurements to include a little less vinegar, maybe only 1-1.5 tablespoons.

I will edit this with the ph's of the egg and molasses as well, but I think the egg is optional to add.

ph of egg: 7.1-7.9

ph of molasses: 5.0-5.5

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/causesofillnessbadbugbook/ucm122561.htm

Also, great news about the ebook! Im glad you're already in the mist of promoting this idea, and I can tell you're really taking the seriously.

Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 4:22pm
Ok, why do you think this recipe works if it has a balanced pH?

Because I thought the point of getting moisture into low porosity hair was to increase the pH?

I'd like to eventually compare this to my milk of magnesia + baking soda mix

Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 4:31pm

Ok, why do you think this recipe works if it has a balanced pH?

Because I thought the point of getting moisture into low porosity hair was to increase the pH?

I'd like to eventually compare this to my milk of magnesia + baking soda mix

sorry, my wording makes this confusing. this doesn't neutralize the whole mixture. the addition of the banana and advocado, directly balances out (not neutralizes) the effect of me putting in only 2 tablespoons of vinegar.

So the ph of the original cherry lola treatment and this one should still fall in about the same place, both will be effective. I think the best thing to do, is at some point both treatments need to be prepared, and the ph's of both of them compared. I will look up the ph of cherry lola treatment and see if I can find it.

As for the effectiveness, I can say the way I did it, definitely gave me positive and dramatically effective results. I was getting root to tip definition in areas of my hair that were frizzed out.

I actually got the idea of this recipe off another forum, where a girl said she combined both the cherry lola treatment and the caramel treatment. I don't think she posted her exact recepe, but I just combined both by what I knew. I will look up that post and try to find it.

The post:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=359727&page=2

Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 6:40pm
after looking up a bit more information about milk of magnesia, i feel a lot more comfortable with the idea of substituting it in place of bakingsoda, than my initail wary impression.

people seem to use it on their scalp to clarify, similar to the way people use baking soda to clairfy. it was even on a hairloss forum for clarifying oil and build up from the scalp and getting rid of scalp fungus. it can be a bit drying, but so can baking soda. The benefit of open up the hair cuticle temporarily so moisture can get outweighs that. excellent alternative option.

what i think im gonna do is try to get some ph strips from walmart and do both recipies (the cherry lola and modified version) and test the ph, and compare them. i'll need to be able to get the ingredients as well. this might take up to a week for me to get done

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 7:52pm
im gonna try this.

Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 10:50pm
i edited the regimen prep step to include ghe or deep condition, everyone

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 5:29pm
ok I tried the 1st timer regimen last night. It was super soft...I mean super duper soft. I did not add the plantain or avacodo or eggs. I may need to go under a steamer or something because i have low porosity hair. It was super soft while wet then when it dried it was back to regular dry hair after putting in eco styler gel so I know now that eco is a no.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

ok I tried the 1st timer regimen last night. It was super soft...I mean super duper soft. I did not add the plantain or avacodo or eggs. I may need to go under a steamer or something because i have low porosity hair. It was super soft while wet then when it dried it was back to regular dry hair after putting in eco styler gel so I know now that eco is a no.

yes, it is beneficial to ghe or deep condition or steam the hair after doing the c.l. treatment. it's fine to do either c.l. recipe, they are both effective. I've bought the p.h strips today, but I still need one last ingredient, before I do both recepies and compare their ph's.

as for gel, yes eco styler is a no for a lot of low porosity individuals. the best thing is to find a gel that doesn't have protein at the very least. I can recommend kccc or flax seed gel. I will try to google some other gel options and post them here.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 6:00pm
Ok Pink if your gonna give me advice we need FULL names no short acronyms. My hair is 1/4 of an inch so I can experiment all day long to find what will work with my while my hair grows out. whats C.L (cherry lola)? or ghe or kccc also I tried to seal with shea butter and that was an ultimate no.

How ofter are you supposed to do the Cherry lola treament is it every week or 2 weeks until your hair gets hydrated? if so I have a super long way to go cos my hurr is super DRY. 

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 6:27pm

Ok Pink if your gonna give me advice we need FULL names no short acronyms. My hair is 1/4 of an inch so I can experiment all day long to find what will work with my while my hair grows out. whats C.L (cherry lola)? or ghe or kccc also I tried to seal with shea butter and that was an ultimate no.

How ofter are you supposed to do the Cherry lola treament is it every week or 2 weeks until your hair gets hydrated? if so I have a super long way to go cos my hurr is super DRY. 

Sorry about that.

Ghe: Green House Effect CL: Cherry Lola Kccc: Kinky curly curling custard.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend shea butter, or any other oil--or at least not alone. Glycerin I would avoid all together though. I find gels are better, as they keep the hair clumped (which helps avoid tangles and knots), and also do a better job of longterm sealing in of moisture. a lot of Oils do a temporary job of sealing in moisture, and a lot of the time the majority of water more ends up evaporating into the air so on their own they don't work efficiently enough.

You can do an LCO or LCOC if you want. (LCO= Liquid (water), Conditioner, and Oil. LCOC is Liquid (water) Conditioner, Oil and then conditioner.) It isn't necessary, but it does soften the cast of first day hair. I would only put a tiny dab of oil however, you do want some cast so your moisture is properly sealed in. That is one of the reasons it is important to get a gel that isn't harsh on your hair.

Don't worry. I know dry hair, and this method is designed specifically for our hair type; it will work effectively.

As for the C.L. treatment, I heard it can be done as often as every 2 weeks. But the regimen is designed to adhere to hydration as well so it's not as if you won't be constantly introducing moisture to your hair. Again, I recommend doing your hair daily for at least a week with this regimen, if you're really dedicated a month. If you can't, try every other day or every 3 days.

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 7:48pm
Are you saying I should do the cherry lola every other day? Isnt that too much? What gels do you recommend?

Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:37pm
no, not at all. i am saying do the cherry lola treatment as frequently as every two weeks. the daily regimen does not include the cherry lola treatment. i just include it as a preparation step for when you start the regimen for the first time. i do not recommend doing cherry lola treatments any more than every two weeks. every two weeks is the Most frequently you can do it.

like i said, i recommend kinky curly curling custard, or flax seed gel. i will look up some more botanical gels on google when i have time.

btw, what type of conditioners are you using? make sure they are sulfate free, silicone free, do not contain denatured alcohol. also, if you are using that same conditioner as a leave in (which you can do) make sure it doesnt have glycerin. i do not recommend leaving glycerin in the hair, so avoid products that contain glycerin if you are going to be leaving them in your hair.

Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 9:46am
Okay then those Giovanni conditioners wont work for me then. I have the Green tea one and the Moisture one. Hmmm must get this regimen right. I'll have to look into other brands then. I'm learning something new every day.

So are you telling me that dry 4c hair can be transformed to nourished defined curls? I haven't seen anyone with 4c hair that started dry and has been transformed. The videos that you loaded in that other thread didn't have a good representation of my type of hair. I'm open and willing to try anything at this point since my hair is super short.

Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 10:21am

Okay then those Giovanni conditioners wont work for me then. I have the Green tea one and the Moisture one. Hmmm must get this regimen right. I'll have to look into other brands then. I'm learning something new every day.

So are you telling me that dry 4c hair can be transformed to nourished defined curls? I haven't seen anyone with 4c hair that started dry and has been transformed. The videos that you loaded in that other thread didn't have a good representation of my type of hair. I'm open and willing to try anything at this point since my hair is super short.

trust me, it seems like these women have some special hair type, but that is not the case. my understanding of 4c hair, is that its a way to hair type 'nappy' or frizzy and chronically dry hair, when nappy hair isnt a hair type, its a condition. i have 4b 4c hair so i get what you mean, but trust me this really works. if you look at those youtubers-- aketafitgirl and especially danabnatural-- you will clearly see their hair has transformed overtime. i emphasize danabnatural, because you can really see a progression in her hair as you scroll through her video uploads. watch her first few videos. she has not always done everything in this regimen, she slowly picked up parts of it overtime. it wasnt until she picked up what happens to be an option from step 1 of this regimen, that her hair had that last push she needed to get to max hydration, which she has now. thats why dont be decieved by the frizz. you do have curls, or coils and zigzags, they are just being smothered by dehydration right now. they will pop.

btw, a conditioner i can recommend is trader joes tea tree tingle conditioner. its botanical, and really thick and cheap if you can get it in the trader joes store. i actually use trader joes ph balance and tea tree tingle, but i prefer tea tree tingle as it doesnt contain parabens. other good ones are tresseme naturals line, and  kinky curly knot today.

Posted By: aharri23
Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 8:40pm
Wow I can't believe there is a method for this!

Im a guy and I decided to grow my hair out because I wanted to try something different. I literally knew nothing about natural hair and my mom was relaxed so she had no idea how to properly care for natural hair.

The first year or so I was literally shampooing 4-5x a week, didnt know conditioner was for guys and I used gel frequently without any type of leave-in. My hair was always dry!

My first major discovery was conditioner. My dad told me conditioner was for girls so I stayed away from it (I was only 15 at the time I thought he was right). I bought a conditioner and it was like hair crack. My hair felt soooo soft. I started using conditioner everyday and stopped shampooing because I liked the way conditioner made my hair feel.

Eventually my hair got to a point where everyone kept saying it was nappy and I needed to cut it. I didn't want to cut it so I asked my friend who was natural how can I get curl definition. She said twist outs were the only way. I tried twist outs for like 2-3 days and mine turned out horrible and they took forever to do. I vowed to never do a twist out again. It's too time consuming.

I researched online how to get curl definition and eventually found some stuff about the CG method. I was doing frequent wash and goes but I was using products with silicones and I never used gel because I was told it was bad for the hair.

Basically my point is, it's crazy how the most simplistic method is what's best for our hair. I literally had no idea. My laziness turned out to be beneficial

My second major discovery was gel, but you must use a conditioner before applying gel. I tried ecostyler gel because everyone raved about it, but it was really bad for my hair. It's good to know I wasn't the only one who's hair it made super dry. I now use a protein free gel, xtreme wetline gel.

I had no idea gel could seal moisture into the hair! I never was a big fan of oils. It's good to know the things I like to do on my hair (gel, frequent co-washing) isn't hurting my hair, but actually helping it! My friend was natural for a year when I started to grow my hair out, and now my hair is longer than hers because she does twist-outs all the time and doesn't moisturize her hair enough. She seems to have this mindset of water is drying to her hair.

Sorry for the rant! LOL but I wanted to ask is Xtreme Wetline Gel a good gel for this method? I really like the smell, definition, price and its also protein free! KCCC is $17 a jar and xtreme wetline is only $3 for more ounces. I also use Super Wet natural look gel (protein, glycerin free)

Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:12pm
in regards to moisture, wetline actually does contain glycerin, so it could be drying. in regards to the super wet look gel, its shouldnt be too drying to the hair unless your hair doesnt like aloe vera. you should also know both gels you mention it contains tea, or triethanolamine, which under certain conditions can become a carcinogen. if youre using a product that contains this ingredient frequently and leaving it on your hair, you dont want it absorbing in to your body. yes this regimen uses daily clarifying, which does get rid of the build up, but it also heavily relies on gel, so you want to know the products youre using are safe.

if you end up getting a gel that happens to have TEA despite that, just make sure you always thoroughly clarify your hair in the clarification steps. also, because the main ingredient in this gel is Tea, the ph of wet look might be pretty alkaline, so acv rinses may probably benefit you the most so you can help reset the ph balance of your hair on a daily basis. another option i can think of is aussie's instant freeze sculpting gel, free and clear hypoallergetic gel, or curls goddess glaze. the prices btw are more reasonable, though not as low in price as the ones you mentioned. i will try to search for more and post them.

thanks for your comment, and im happy you discovered this regimen. goodluck on your journey.Smile

Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 12:14am
Wow! You've got me a little spooked. So would you recommend KCCC as the best styler for this method? Since KCCC lasts me a while I may just spend the extra $$$$ if it will seriously help my hair in the long run. I don't want cancer because of hair gel!

Thanks for your help btw!

Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

Wow! You've got me a little spooked. So would you recommend KCCC as the best styler for this method? Since KCCC lasts me a while I may just spend the extra $$$$ if it will seriously help my hair in the long run. I don't want cancer because of hair gel!

Thanks for your help btw!

No problem Smile.

Yeah, I believe because of the ingredients, KCCC is one the best stylers you can use for this method. There are other good ones, however. I searched literally for hours online, looking up gels that didn't have silicones, denatured alcohol, parabens, tea, hydrolyzed proteins, and glycerin. A lot of botanical gels I found relied a lot on protein or used glycerin. Cantu shea custard and shea moisture curling suffle had great ingredients but they contained vegetable glycerin as the first few ingredients. I believe they would be a lot like kccc if it weren't for the glycerin, and it's really a shame.

Here are some gels i managed to find that seemed to fit(prices vary from cheap to expensive):

Kinky curly curling custard -$17 for 8 oz

Ingredients: botanical infusion of
water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera
juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic,
citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

Beautiful curls shea butter curl defining gel
- $14, 8oz

Ingredients
Chamomile (matricaria recutita) extract (aqueous),
yarrow (achillea millefolium) extract (aqueous), Certified Fair Trade
shea butter (butyrospermum parkii), aloe vera leaf gel (aloe
barbadensis), agave nectar, panthenol, coconut oil, apricot fruit and
ylang ylang flower extracts, guar gum, xanthan gum, phenoxyethanol,
potassium sorbate, citric acid.

CURLSPIRATION Natural Curl Defining Hair Gel $18, 12 oz

(etsy.com)

Ingredients: distilled aqua, aqueous extracts of organic linum
usitatissimum (linseed), organic urtica dioica (nettle leaf), organic
equisetum arvense (horsetail), organic althaea officinalis (marshmallow
root), organic ulmus rubra (slippery elm bark), aloe barbadensis leaf
juice, organic agave nectar, xanthan gum, ricinus communis (castor) seed
oil, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil, hydroxypropyltrimonium
honey, panthenol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,
phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol, fragrance, tocopherol, citric acid

Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic-$25, 18oz

ingredients: Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Aqueous-Infused Extracts of Marshmallow,
Chamomile, Nettle, Horsetail, Vitamin E, Agave Nectar Extract, Citric
Acid, Potassium Sorbate and Natural Fragrance.

Curls Goddess Glaze
-$14, 6 oz

Ingredients
Water, Sorbitol, Polyacrylate-14, Certified
Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polyquaternium-7, Polysorbate 20,
Certified Organic Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Certified
Organic Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Certified Organic
Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Certified Organic
Plumeria Alba Flower Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-1 Carbomer, Aminomethyl
Propanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, DMDM Hydantoin.

Green tea curl glaze
-$25, 16 oz

Ingredients
Botanical extracts of horsetail, marshmallow root,
neem leaf, nettle leaf, olive leaf and slippery elm root in purified
water, organic green tea extract, aloe vera, agave nectar, pectin,
lavender, lemon and lime essential oils, natural fragrance

Natural Hair Gel Flaxseed & Marshmallow Root Hair Softner, Conditioner, Ph Balanced, Hair Moisturizer by Naturally Amari -$7, 8 oz

(it's on etsy.com, and pick the options without quinoa under sizes)

ingredients:Certified Organic Flaxseeds, Certified Organic Marshmallow Root, 100%
Natural Aloe Vera Gel, Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Natural
preservative (Optiphen)       

Giovanni's L.A. Natural styling gel-$9-6, 6.8 oz

Ingredients: infusion of Rosemary Extract, Nettles Extract, Thyme Extract, Birch Leaf
Extract, Chamomile Extract, Sage Extract, St. John's Wort Extract,
Coltsfoot Extract, Mallow Extract, Balm Mint Extract, Horsetail Extract,
Red Clover Extract, Soy, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Cellosize, I.P.A.,
PVP K30, Stearikonium, Chloride, Kelp, Mineral Trace Elements, DL
Panthenol, Cinnamate

4Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard
-$12.5, 6 oz

ingredients: Water, Sucrose, Propylene Glycol, Pectin, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Citric Acid, FragranceJessie Curl confident Curls

New Gellie
by Bella Curl -$11.95, 8 oz
(etsy.com)

INGREDIENTS: aqua (distilled), rosa damascena (rose otto) distillate,
linum usitatissimum (flax) seed, brassica oleracea italica (broccoli)
seed oil, cetearyl olivate (and) sorbitan olivate, infused carthamus
tinctorius (safflower) oil, PEG -50 shea butter, PEG -7 olivate,
magnesium chloride, gluconolactone (and) sodium benzoate, essential oil
blend, cellulose copolymer Original Sprout Natural hair gel

Aussie's instant freeze sculpting gel
-$4, 7 oz

ingredients:
water, laureth 23, ppolyquaternium 4, hydroxyethylcellulose, benzyl
alcohol, acrylates/beheneth 25 methacrylate copolymer, aminomethyl
propanol, dmdm hydantoin, acrylates copolymer, fragrance, disodium edta,
prunus serotina bark extract (wild cherry), humulus lupulus extract
(hops), hedychium coronarium root extract (australian white ginger),
panthenol
Aussie Aussome Volume Texturizing Gel

-$4, 7 oz

ingredients:water, laureth-23, polyquaternium-4, hydroxyethylcellulose, benzyl
alcohol, acrylates/beheneth-25 methacrylate copolymer, aminomethyl
prunus serotina (wild cherry) bark extract, humulus lupulus (hops)
extract, hedychium coronarium (australian white ginger) root extract,
panthenol.

H2BNNaturals: Hibiscus Hair Gellie -$11.50, 8 oz

(etsy.com)
(contains vegetable glycerin, but you ask her to remove the glycerin, she takes customs)
Ingredients: Hibiscus & Flax Seed Infused Purified Water, Vegetable
Glycerin, Aloe Whole Leaf Juice, Marshmallow Root, Irish Moss,
Pro-Vitamin B5, Xanthan Gum (thickener), Wheat Germ Oil, Coconut Oil,
Silver Dihydrogen Citrate (anti-microbial), Citric Acid (preservative),
Potassium Sorbate (preservative)

Organic Marshmallow roots & Flaxseed Extracts Hair Moisturizer Gel-$11.50, 8 oz

(etsy.com, also if you want you can make a custom order without the panthenol, since panthenol is a light protein and can build up on the hair making it feel gummy)

Ingredients: Infusions of organic flaxseeds and organics marshmallow roots , distilled water, Intense Hydration Complex, Panthenol, Inulin, natural and organic aromatic essences, Geoguard, Carrageenan extract, Potassium sorbate.
Sweet Curls Flax Seed Defining Gel
(you can request additional ingredients under custom order: Water, Flax Seeds, Xanthan Gum, may contain citric acid, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid

Tate's the Natural Miracle Hair Gel -$32, 18 oz
(not sure how good a hold this might have)
Ingredients:
Mountain spring water, pine needles, pine bark, oak bark, honey,
lavender, calendula, basil, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, rose hip,
allspice berries, citrus peels, juniper, lemongrass, sage, mint, thyme,
vinegar, peppermint, apricot, peach.

Herbal Choice Mari Hair Styling GEL for Him & Her -$14, 8oz

Ingredients: Purified water, organic vodka, organic guar gum (natural plant based), organic sweet orange oil, organic lemongrass oil, organic olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered), organic green tea, organic sage herb, organic bilberry leaf, xanthan gum (natural gum), organic patchouli oil, organic primrose oil, organic thyme oil, organic rose hip oil.

CurlyGirl Silky Custard -$12, 8 oz.

Ingredients:
distilled water, certified organic aloe vera gel, certified organic extra virgin coconut oil, bamboo extract, certified organic sunflower oil, rice bran oil, sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, wheat germ oil, natural Vitamin E oil, xanthan gum, essential oil blend, potassium sorbate, grapefruit seed extract, phthalate-free fragrance

Natural Flaxseed Gel by Blendies -$8.50, 4oz

(etsy.com)

Ingredients:

Bobs Mill Organic Flaxseeds, ,Organic Castor oil, Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Olive oil, Vitamin E, Essential oil.

Zerran Hair Care Radiant Finish Styling Glaze Medium Hold
- $11.99, 8 oz

Ingredients:
Water, Polyquaternium-4,Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Citrus URANTIUM dULCIS (Orange) Peel Extract, Althaea Officinalis Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Fruit Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Methyl Gluceth-10, Cocamidopropyl Belaine, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mentha Virdis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Polyquaternium-47, Disodium EDTA, Methylisothaizolinone, Violet 2.

Bain de Terre Bamboo Ultra Control Styling Gel -$10, 8.5 oz

Ingredients:
Water/Aqua/Eau, Polyacrylate-2 Crosspolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Fruit Extract, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Laureth-12, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance/Parfum.

miessence certified organic shape styling gel -$27, 8.5 oz

Ingredients: certified organic aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, xanthan gum, chondrus crispus (carageenan) gum , certified organic arctium lappa (burdock) extract, certified organic pelargonium graveolens (geranium) essential oil, certified organic equisetum arvense (horsetail) extract, certified organic urtica dioica (nettle) extract, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, certified organic rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, certified organic rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, certified organic salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, certified organic ethanol (sugar cane alcohol)

Epiphany Naturals Curly Creme with Argan Oil
-$16, 8oz

Ingredients:

Organic Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable, Corn), Organic Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet Sugar), EcoCert Hydrogenated Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponifiables, Organic Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Nut Oil, Argan Oil, Sclerotium (Mushroom) Gum, Organic Hibiscus rosa sinensis (Hibiscus) Leaf / Flower Extract, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Sclerotium Gum (Vegetable), KOSH Chondrus crispus (Irish Moss / Carageenan), Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Esters, EcoCert Gluconolactone, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance

by the way i take that back about the free and clear styling gel, from my previous reply. it actually has silicones, which build up on the hair blocking moisture, and can't be removed by anything but sulfates.  hope i could help!Big smile

Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 7:45pm
KCCC it is then! I will use up the rest of my wetline and super wet then make the switch to KCCC as my only styler. Thanks!

Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 11:38pm

KCCC it is then! I will use up the rest of my wetline and super wet then make the switch to KCCC as my only styler. Thanks!

You're welcomeSmile

Date Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

No problem Smile.

Yeah, I believe because of the ingredients, KCCC is one the best stylers you can use for this method. There are other good ones, however. I searched literally for hours online, looking up gels that didn't have silicones, denatured alcohol, parabens, tea, hydrolyzed proteins, and glycerin. A lot of botanical gels I found relied a lot on protein or used glycerin. Cantu shea custard and shea moisture curling suffle had great ingredients but they contained vegetable glycerin as the first few ingredients. I believe they would be a lot like kccc if it weren't for the glycerin, and it's really a shame.

Here are some gels i managed to find that seemed to fit(prices vary from cheap to expensive):

Kinky curly curling custard -$17 for 8 oz

Beautiful curls shea butter curl defining gel
- $14, 8oz

Ingredients
barbadensis), agave nectar, panthenol, coconut oil, apricot fruit and

CURLSPIRATION Natural Curl Defining Hair Gel $18, 12 oz

(etsy.com)

honey, panthenol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,

Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic-$25, 18oz

ingredients: Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Aqueous-Infused Extracts of Marshmallow,
Chamomile, Nettle, Horsetail, Vitamin E, Agave Nectar Extract, Citric
Acid, Potassium Sorbate and Natural Fragrance.

Curls Goddess Glaze
-$14, 6 oz

Ingredients
Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polyquaternium-7, Polysorbate 20,

Green tea curl glaze
-$25, 16 oz

Ingredients

Natural Hair Gel Flaxseed & Marshmallow Root Hair Softner, Conditioner, Ph Balanced, Hair Moisturizer by Naturally Amari -$7, 8 oz

(it's on etsy.com, and pick the options without quinoa under sizes)

ingredients:Certified Organic Flaxseeds, Certified Organic Marshmallow Root, 100%
preservative (Optiphen)       

Giovanni's L.A. Natural styling gel-$9-6, 6.8 oz

Ingredients: infusion of Rosemary Extract, Nettles Extract, Thyme Extract, Birch Leaf
Panthenol, Cinnamate

4Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard
-$12.5, 6 oz

ingredients: Water, Sucrose, Propylene Glycol, Pectin, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Citric Acid, FragranceJessie Curl confident Curls

New Gellie
by Bella Curl -$11.95, 8 oz
(etsy.com)

INGREDIENTS: aqua (distilled), rosa damascena (rose otto) distillate,
magnesium chloride, gluconolactone (and) sodium benzoate, essential oil
blend, cellulose copolymer Original Sprout Natural hair gel

Aussie's instant freeze sculpting gel
-$4, 7 oz

ingredients:
water, laureth 23, ppolyquaternium 4, hydroxyethylcellulose, benzyl
alcohol, acrylates/beheneth 25 methacrylate copolymer, aminomethyl
prunus serotina bark extract (wild cherry), humulus lupulus extract
(hops), hedychium coronarium root extract (australian white ginger),
panthenol

-$4, 7 oz

ingredients:water, laureth-23, polyquaternium-4, hydroxyethylcellulose, benzyl
alcohol, acrylates/beheneth-25 methacrylate copolymer, aminomethyl
prunus serotina (wild cherry) bark extract, humulus lupulus (hops)
extract, hedychium coronarium (australian white ginger) root extract,
panthenol.

H2BNNaturals: Hibiscus Hair Gellie -$11.50, 8 oz

(etsy.com)
(contains vegetable glycerin, but you ask her to remove the glycerin, she takes customs)
Glycerin, Aloe Whole Leaf Juice, Marshmallow Root, Irish Moss,

Organic Marshmallow roots & Flaxseed Extracts Hair Moisturizer Gel-$11.50, 8 oz

(etsy.com, also if you want you can make a custom order without the panthenol, since panthenol is a light protein and can build up on the hair making it feel gummy)

Ingredients: Infusions of organic flaxseeds and organics marshmallow roots , distilled water, Intense Hydration Complex, Panthenol, Inulin, natural and organic aromatic essences, Geoguard, Carrageenan extract, Potassium sorbate.
(you can request additional ingredients under custom order: Water, Flax Seeds, Xanthan Gum, may contain citric acid, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid

Tate's the Natural Miracle Hair Gel -$32, 18 oz
(not sure how good a hold this might have)
Ingredients:
Mountain spring water, pine needles, pine bark, oak bark, honey,
lavender, calendula, basil, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, rose hip,
allspice berries, citrus peels, juniper, lemongrass, sage, mint, thyme,
vinegar, peppermint, apricot, peach.

Herbal Choice Mari Hair Styling GEL for Him & Her -$14, 8oz

Ingredients: Purified water, organic vodka, organic guar gum (natural plant based), organic sweet orange oil, organic lemongrass oil, organic olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered), organic green tea, organic sage herb, organic bilberry leaf, xanthan gum (natural gum), organic patchouli oil, organic primrose oil, organic thyme oil, organic rose hip oil.

CurlyGirl Silky Custard -$12, 8 oz.

Ingredients:
distilled water, certified organic aloe vera gel, certified organic extra virgin coconut oil, bamboo extract, certified organic sunflower oil, rice bran oil, sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, wheat germ oil, natural Vitamin E oil, xanthan gum, essential oil blend, potassium sorbate, grapefruit seed extract, phthalate-free fragrance

Natural Flaxseed Gel by Blendies -$8.50, 4oz

(etsy.com)

Ingredients:

Bobs Mill Organic Flaxseeds, ,Organic Castor oil, Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Olive oil, Vitamin E, Essential oil.

Zerran Hair Care Radiant Finish Styling Glaze Medium Hold
- $11.99, 8 oz

Ingredients:
Water, Polyquaternium-4,Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Citrus URANTIUM dULCIS (Orange) Peel Extract, Althaea Officinalis Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Fruit Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Methyl Gluceth-10, Cocamidopropyl Belaine, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mentha Virdis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Polyquaternium-47, Disodium EDTA, Methylisothaizolinone, Violet 2.

Bain de Terre Bamboo Ultra Control Styling Gel -$10, 8.5 oz

Ingredients:
Water/Aqua/Eau, Polyacrylate-2 Crosspolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Fruit Extract, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Laureth-12, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance/Parfum.

miessence certified organic shape styling gel -$27, 8.5 oz

Ingredients: certified organic aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, xanthan gum, chondrus crispus (carageenan) gum , certified organic arctium lappa (burdock) extract, certified organic pelargonium graveolens (geranium) essential oil, certified organic equisetum arvense (horsetail) extract, certified organic urtica dioica (nettle) extract, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, certified organic rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, certified organic rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, certified organic salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, certified organic ethanol (sugar cane alcohol)

Epiphany Naturals Curly Creme with Argan Oil
-$16, 8oz

Ingredients:

Organic Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable, Corn), Organic Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet Sugar), EcoCert Hydrogenated Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponifiables, Organic Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Nut Oil, Argan Oil, Sclerotium (Mushroom) Gum, Organic Hibiscus rosa sinensis (Hibiscus) Leaf / Flower Extract, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Sclerotium Gum (Vegetable), KOSH Chondrus crispus (Irish Moss / Carageenan), Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Esters, EcoCert Gluconolactone, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance

by the way i take that back about the free and clear styling gel, from my previous reply. it actually has silicones, which build up on the hair blocking moisture, and can't be removed by anything but sulfates.  hope i could help!Big smile

never mind about jessie curls styling solution. it has magnesium sulfate, which even though is slightly better than regular sulfates, continued and often use can lead to it drying the hair.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 12:21pm

i forgot to add this. the ph needs to be over 5.5 for the hair cuticle to open. the hair cuticle closes at a ph below 5.5. human hair is at a balanced ph at 4.5-5.5. a ph of 7 (like water) is not ph balanced on the hair. acv has a ph of 4.25 to 4.5. greek yogurt's ph falls from 4.5 to 5.5. the effect of adding acv to my modified cherry lola treatmeng wouldnt be significant enough to change the ph, since i also added ingredients with a higher ph including egg, overripe banana, and overripe advocado, plus there is already bakingsoda. adding acv makes the mixture foam more and the overall modified mixture imo increases the effectiveness of the treatment.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 12:42pm
Ok I think you're on to something. I need my cuticles to open in order for the moisture to seep in. What can I use to 1st open up the cuticle for it to atleast be a little over 5.5. When my hair is wet its soft but then everything goes down hill when it dries. Maybe if I try greek yogurt by itself that will open it up for moisture but then I will quickly have to put something there for the moisture to seep in.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 12:58pm

Ok I think you're on to something. I need my cuticles to open in order for the moisture to seep in. What can I use to 1st open up the cuticle for it to atleast be a little over 5.5. When my hair is wet its soft but then everything goes down hill when it dries. Maybe if I try greek yogurt by itself that will open it up for moisture but then I will quickly have to put something there for the moisture to seep in.

the regimen i described is going to do all that for you. just do the regimen step by step in the first post above--  all of that is going to do what your hair needs.

the first step will clarify build up, which is one of the things that blocks moisture from entering the hair shaft.

the second step will re open the cuticle and allow moisture to really seep in.

the 3rd step both clarifies and opens the cuticle. it also detoxes the hair.

the 4th step is the leave in step, and now that your cuticles are open, the conditioner will better seep into the hair.

the 5th step is gel application, which will seal in the moisture and prevent most of it from evaporating. make sure enough is applied to each section. your hair will tell you when it is enough, by the amount of slip and clumping you get.

these steps done in sequence will safely and temporarily manipulate the hair cuticle into accepting moisture, which will lead to building up moisture retention, and eventually max hydration. everything just needs to be done perfectly without using products that contain glycerin, proteins, silicones, sulfates, and parabens. these products also steal moisture from the hair.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 1:39pm
Pink so this is what I did below. I totolly didn't even see the 5 steps right under it. Ok I will try that next weekend since you states I have to leave a 2 week gap in between.
Ingredients:
Greek yogurt (2 cups)
Baking soda (2 tbsp)
Raw coconut aminos(or just regular aminos, but i personally didn't like soy in my hair) (2 tbsp)
Raw honey (1/2 tbsp)
Avocado (3/4 tbsp)

saturate your dry (but detangled) hair completely from root to tip with the mixture.
co wash with botanical/cg friendly conditioner. ( whatever you wash your hair with will be absorbed into the hair shaft, so no silicones, parabens, sulfates, drying denatured alcohol)
seal with botanical gel

if you choose to do the regular recipe, it is the same as this only substract the vinegar, overriped banana and advocado, egg, and molasses. after doing this you can cowash. and continue on from there to a wash and go. DONT do an acv rinse directly after this. You can do a cowash and maybe do a cold rinse with conditioner afterword and that will be enough to reclose the cuticle. The point of temporarily opening the hair cuticle is so the moisture can get in, it makes no sense to just reclose it before actually putting the moisture in your hair.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 1:42pm
Yeah I'll try all 5 steps since y hair is super duper short. Just long enough to go through a rattail comb

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 1:48pm

Pink so this is what I did below. I totolly didn't even see the 5 steps right under it. Ok I will try that next weekend since you states I have to leave a 2 week gap in between.
Ingredients:
Greek yogurt (2 cups)
Baking soda (2 tbsp)
Raw honey (1/2 tbsp)
Avocado (3/4 tbsp)

seal with botanical gel

okay so what you did was the preparation step. this is done every 2 weeks at the most frequent. so you wait at least 2 weeks between every cherry lola treatment. dont forget to deep condition right after doing the treatment, or steam. this is the best way to take advantage of it.  i do my cherry lola every 2-3 months.

the actual regimen is the 5 steps below. this is done every day. (you can do second day and third day after max hydration is reached.) you dont have to wait two weeks between it, it is a daily regimen.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:00pm
Now you're talking my language. I didn't see that part. I was thinking I had to wait 2 weeks before doing anything. Apple Cider vinegar can this dry out your hair if used every other day?

Posted By: exceedinggrace
Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:03pm
Hey, pinke. I'm gonna email u a picture of my wash and go results. I have never had definition like this before!!Shocked
 I did the cherry lola treatment 4 days ago & my hair felt sooo soft. It felt much softer than the regular version of the treatment. I've been doing the regimen eveyday since u said, and i am Cing a big improvement in my hair. anyway just pm ur email so i can send u the picture. this site won't let me upload mine. I think it's because i'm new

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:17pm
Exceed post pics girl post pics. Did you take a before pic and an after pic?

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:26pm

Now you're talking my language. I didn't see that part. I was thinking I had to wait 2 weeks before doing anything. Apple Cider vinegar can this dry out your hair if used every other day?

apple cider vinegar doesnt have the means to dry out the hair if properly diluted like i said in the post. the only way it can dry out the hair imo, is if you do the rinse on dry hair and then just slap some oil on it or something. understanding how acv works, when the cuticle gets closed before moisture can get in, or its being done on hair that isnt getting proper moisture, you will benefit from its clarifying effects but it will make your hair feel dry since your cuticles have been closed further. a lot of shampoos conditioners and products actually fall into this ph. it cant dry out or damage the hair if its 5% acidity acv. not white vinegar, which has a ph of 2.4.

but since the regimen is opening the cuticle right after, the dryness will not happen. the regimen is designed to manipulate and take advantage of the way your cuticle behaves when you do certain steps. thats why doing every step in order is very important.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by exceedinggrace exceedinggrace wrote:

Hey, pinke. I'm gonna email u a picture of my wash and go results. I have never had definition like this before!!Shocked
 I did the cherry lola treatment 4 days ago & my hair felt sooo soft. It felt much softer than the regular version of the treatment. I've been doing the regimen eveyday since u said, and i am Cing a big improvement in my hair. anyway just pm ur email so i can send u the picture. this site won't let me upload mine. I think it's because i'm new
Awesome! Clapi'll pm you asap

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:15pm
i keep getting an error code so im gonna have to get to my computer and upload the pic

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 4:22pm
Below are exceeding grace's Wash and Go photos:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 4:34pm
it only took me so long, because the website wouldnt let me upload the file directly from the computer. i ended up having to upload on fotoki first and then uploading the file from that address. sheesh Sleepy

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 4:44pm
Wow just freaking wow@ Exceedingly.

Pink so can I substitute the Bentonite clay for one of those amla powders? I got the Apple cider vineger sitting on my head right now and waiting for the 2nd step.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 5:01pm

Wow just freaking wow@ Exceedingly.

Pink so can I substitute the Bentonite clay for one of those amla powders? I got the Apple cider vineger sitting on my head right now and waiting for the 2nd step.

you can try it out this time, if its a good treatment but i would really recommend a clay since clay detoxes and further cleans the hair. it doesnt have to be bentonite clay, it just needs to be some pure organic clay powder. you can use rhasoul clay, red clay, or even a ready made clay wash like terresentials.

Posted By: exceedinggrace
Date Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 12:11pm
Hi Pink, I've actually been trying out option 2 in step 1 for the past 3 days instead of option 1 to see what would happen. The only thing I changed was I put sum conditioner in an applicator bottle and added water so it would b less thick. I do this whenever I use my conditioner, tho. it gets really foamy and easier 2 coat.

my hair is feeling rly soft. this is like a new level of softness. Also, it seems that I am starting to get definition with out product, not all the way, I still mostly have poofing, but the tips are starting 2 stay defined on some, and this is on completely clairified hair.  after DCing all night long I had even better definition, and when I touch my roots I can feel the curls starting there. My hair now, after DC looks better than the wash and gos I did in the past. I'm gonna continue this for the rest of the week before I send u pictures.

Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 10:40am
Thanks exceedinggrace. Just send it to my email, and I'll post them. btw, that's great about your hair progress. it's interesting, b/c it reminds me of what aketafitgirl described in one of her videos, when she was talking about her curl pattern. She said her curls start to define from the tips and up to the roots. I'll try and find the video and post it here. Maybe you can post pictures of your hair with out product too.

Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 4:27pm
Pinke, continue collecting more testimonials and pictures. Thankyou everyone for trying this out!

Pinke, how can we deal with this issue of hair being very soft while wet, but no longer soft when it dries? Gel is not enough for me, infact gels my hair dryer (even kccc). 

Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 4:33pm
And you need to create an FAQ because I'm just getting really confused reading through the thread.

You want people to do steps 1 - 5 every day (no less than every 3 days)?

You should create a challenge so we can have a lot of people who are committed to putting the time into this to see the results. 

Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 4:42pm
Kwicherbitchen I totally agree with you. MY hair is super soft when wet but when it dries ummmm brilo pad. I just bought some Camille Rose leave in and deep conditioner yesterday and so far it leaves my hair pretty soft but not as soft as I want it. So far its working far better than all the other products i've tried. 

Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 6:34pm

And you need to create an FAQ because I'm just getting really confused reading through the thread.

You want people to do steps 1 - 5 every day (no less than every 3 days)?

You should create a challenge so we can have a lot of people who are committed to putting the time into this to see the results. 

@kwicherbichen & sugabanana

i think the best thing for me to do is finish up the FAQ ive been working on so i can address both of ur questions, and points i think need to be made, in an organized way thats easier to scroll through and read. btw, thats an excellent idea of turning this into a challenge, i've never thought of doing that. about the steps 1-5. yes it should be done daily, no less than every 3 days.

in the faq i will explain:

misconceptions about "nappy" hair
how often to do the regimen
how long it takes to see changes
why each part of the regimen is important
why they work and where they come from
how each step relies on one another
recommended youtubers to go to
products to avoid and why
 ingredients in products to avoid and why
recommended products
 hair practices that nurture chronic dryness
 an explanation of moisture retention and maximum hydration
why our hair loves water
misconceptions about moisture overload
misconceptions about tangles
explanation about what oils do
misconceptions about what dry hair is and what moisturized hair is and how to not be fooled by 'softness' and what to really look for when it comes to moisture

information about gel cast, and how to tell your hair is actually moisturized, and not getting moisture zapped

its going to take me a while to complete, but im working on it. it might take me a while to finish, but im gonna try to get it done as quickly as possible. it may take me up to 3-4 days, or quicker, well see.

for now just do the regimen straight. try out both options 1 and 2 in the first step to see which one works better for you. It can make a huge difference in ur results.

Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 7:03pm
I wanted to add a couple things. A bit off topic, but I retract my recommendation for the aussie gels. They have polyquaterniums, high up on the list. These ingredients have pretty much the same effect on the hair as silicones do. In fact the molecule in polyquats are silicone grafted. Silicones build up on the hair and are difficult to remove with out the use of sulfates. Since this method relies on gel use often, I would avoid this ingredient as well, it could cause dryness.

@Kwicherbichen,
Another thing i was going to avoid until i wrote it in the more organized FAQ, this whole regimen helps build moisture retention levels in the hair. It's important to realize if there is even one product taking away from you hair's moisture, it's going to effect how your results feel. Not to mention other hair practices. So you may have been using kccc b4, but it isn't going to benefit unless the other hair practices and products u are using are "harmonized". everything you do matters and works together. For now, just try all the steps straight through and exact, avoiding the ingredients that need to be avoided. I will provide a clearer, more indepth explantion in my FAQ, but for now i'll leave u w/ that.

Date Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 10:22pm
I saw that on the ingredient list and I was going to ask you about it. I'm on a no-buy challenge anyway until I use up the 3-4 gels I have right now anyway.

Can't wait for the FAQ! I always found it hard to tell if my hair is moisturized or not. I assume it is because I've been hydrating my hair every 1-2 days. Also was wondering if oils are necessary? I don't really care for them

Date Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 12:40pm
Pinke, I will be sending you a private message with some "business"-esque details lol

But that is something I did not even consider... if any product has anything that is hair drying, the whole regimen is SHOT! Can't wait for this FAQ...

Date Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 12:54pm
Ok this website always give me issue. I am emailing you at the email you sent me!

Date Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 2:33pm
yes its so true. So I did the whole 5 step program and then used Miss Jessies products and I could feel my hair drying while rubbing it in on my head. Samething with the KCCC. So far the Camille Rose stuff I used kept my hair soft for hours.

Date Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 9:53pm
Sugabanana, let's try to analyse these products

Kinky Curly Curling Custard = drying
 Botanical infusion of water, horsetail, Chamomile, nettle and Marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocoperyl acetate (vitamin e), pectin, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance.

Camille Rose = not drying (but not as soft as when wet)
(leave in)
Distilled Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Linum Usitatissmum (Flax Seed) Oil, Shea Butter Glycerides, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit Seed) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea), Cannabis Sativa (Hemp Seed) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower Seed) Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam Seed) Oil, Ceteareth 20, Phenoxyethanol and Carylyl Glycol (Optphen ND), Aloe Ferox Powder, Marshmallow Root, Yucca Root, Blue Cohosh, Scent and Love.
(deep conditioner)

Ionized water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Water), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower Seed) Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm Kernel) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa Seed) Butter, Argania Spinosa (Argan Kernel) Oil, Heliantus Annuus (Sunflower Seed) Oil, Prunus Amygdulus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Hydrogenated Vegetal Oil, Tiare (Gardenia Tahitensis) Flower, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba Seed) Oil, Althaea Officianalis (Marshmallow Root) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle Leaf) Extract, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Scent and Love.

(and for me) Creme of Nature Argan Oil Edge Control = drying, but curls pop
Aqua (Water) (Eau), Ceteareth-25, Propylene Glycol, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Glycerin, Oleth-20, PEG-7Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polysorbate 60, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Keratin Amino Acids, Parfum (Fragrance), Linalool, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 17200 (Red 33)

Also Sugabanana -- I mixed aloe vera with my edge control and the hair feels softer than without the aloe vera. Try adding aloe vera and see what that does. Got the idea from Kimmay tube since she always emphasizes pH

Posted By: msdeekay
Date Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 8:32am
Hi Pinke,

Thanks so much for sharing your method and for the in depth explanation of it. I'm super excited that I stumbled upon this because just a week ago I had found rachelcpr's method and was going to give it a try. I'm slowly reading both your posts and catching up on the videos you mentioned.

My background, I'm currently 9 months post big chop (I consider myself mostly 4c with a little of 4b somewhere in there) I sometimes get some curl definition in the middle and back of my hair but after sometime it just frizzes up. It can only be seen when my hair is wet and has conditioner on it or some products when I smooth them in.

I've been natural for about 5 years now. Never did wash and gos because I thought they were not for me never did twist out or bantu knot outs because I never liked them so I mostly wore my hair in updos and stretched out styles, until when I big chopped last year. I started cowashing my hair daily because it just felt like my hair needed the water plus I loved the feeling of water on my scalp and hair every day. At six months I started complaining about dryness and then I found out about low porosity and realized that most of those issues were exactly what was going on with my hair.

So for the past 3 weeks my hair has grown out (I had been doing the GHE method for at least 3 days of the week) and now I'm at the point where my hair has grown out so it gets tangled and matted so from what I've read from other naturals and online I was like ok its time to stop daily cowashing coz this is the cause and it doesn't work for my hair.

Then I stumbled upon rachelcprs videos and method and I was going to give it a try and then today I found your method. 

So here are my questions, I live outside of US, we dont have most of the products that you mention in case of the gel. So is it ok to use Aloe Vera Gel ( I've seen this in local health stores here)

When it comes to deep conditioners does it matter what you use.
I have seen the Dabur Vatika deep conditioners, TRESemmé Restructuring Deep Conditioning Treatment Masque( the tresseme line) and Jason Line. Are these considered Botanical/CG Friendly?

I have a blog and YT channel and I plan to document this method on both. When I do I will come back here and share my links so you lovely ladies can see my progress :)

Date Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 11:06am

yes its so true. So I did the whole 5 step program and then used Miss Jessies products and I could feel my hair drying while rubbing it in on my head. Samething with the KCCC. So far the Camille Rose stuff I used kept my hair soft for hours.

Yes, I wouldn't use miss Jessie's products. I'm assuming you are talking about the Miss Jessy's Jelly soft curl or the pillow soft curls gel, right? The original leave in also contains denatured alcohol, which is drying. The two gels both contain hydrolyzed wheat protein, which low po hair tends to hate.

As for The camille naturals, what's the exact name on the bottle? I tried looking up camille naturals leave in and they have different results. I want to know which one exactly you are using so i can see the ingredients.

Are you using a gel at all? As for the kccc making you hair feel "dry" do you mean as you are applying it, you are not feeling slip? That could mean you are not using enough. If you are talking about your hair feeling crunchy after it dries, don't worry that is just the feeling of the cast. It wears off for the most part by the second day and even more by the third day, and your hair will actually feel really soft, so that is proof that the feeling is just the cast, and it's not drying out your hair.

Try to experiment with how you apply the gel, so u can get the amount right in practice. For the most part you should really be saturating you hair in conditioner, enough so your fingers can really detangle through your hair.  Also layering a little olive oil before the gel may help give you a softer feeling on the first day as well, but the feeling of softness is really superficial, it's still sealing in moisture, and your curls will spring back when you pull them taut.

It's the aloe vera in the gel creates the cast. I don't think it's drying, but some people find it feels crunchy. The camille leave in (is it the coconut one?) doesn't contain aloe, that could be the reason the hold feels softer, but if it doesn't have good hold, I'd worry the moisture isn't being sealed in properly. cast can feel crunchy on the first day, but that doesn't necessarily mean your hair is dry. Just like applying oils on your hair can make it feel superficially soft, but the moisture isn't usually sealed in well enough and doesn't retain throughout the day. Just do the solutions above and the crunch feeling will go away. You hair will be soft but still have the cast needed to properly seal in the moisture.

I'm gonna include this in the FAQ, but since this was a specific question about products I decided to answer it ahead.

Date Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 11:39am
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Hi Pinke,

Thanks so much for sharing your method and for the in depth explanation of it. I'm super excited that I stumbled upon this because just a week ago I had found rachelcpr's method and was going to give it a try. I'm slowly reading both your posts and catching up on the videos you mentioned.

My background, I'm currently 9 months post big chop (I consider myself mostly 4c with a little of 4b somewhere in there) I sometimes get some curl definition in the middle and back of my hair but after sometime it just frizzes up. It can only be seen when my hair is wet and has conditioner on it or some products when I smooth them in.

I've been natural for about 5 years now. Never did wash and gos because I thought they were not for me never did twist out or bantu knot outs because I never liked them so I mostly wore my hair in updos and stretched out styles, until when I big chopped last year. I started cowashing my hair daily because it just felt like my hair needed the water plus I loved the feeling of water on my scalp and hair every day. At six months I started complaining about dryness and then I found out about low porosity and realized that most of those issues were exactly what was going on with my hair.

So for the past 3 weeks my hair has grown out (I had been doing the GHE method for at least 3 days of the week) and now I'm at the point where my hair has grown out so it gets tangled and matted so from what I've read from other naturals and online I was like ok its time to stop daily cowashing coz this is the cause and it doesn't work for my hair.

Then I stumbled upon rachelcprs videos and method and I was going to give it a try and then today I found your method. 

So here are my questions, I live outside of US, we dont have most of the products that you mention in case of the gel. So is it ok to use Aloe Vera Gel ( I've seen this in local health stores here)

When it comes to deep conditioners does it matter what you use.
I have seen the Dabur Vatika deep conditioners, TRESemmé Restructuring Deep Conditioning Treatment Masque( the tresseme line) and Jason Line. Are these considered Botanical/CG Friendly?

I have a blog and YT channel and I plan to document this method on both. When I do I will come back here and share my links so you lovely ladies can see my progress :)

When it comes to deep conditioning, you don't really have to use a product specifically for deep conditioning. any conditioner will have the same effect (As long as it doesn't have sulfates, silicones, glycerin, parabens, etc). don't think you have to go out and by 3 different conditioners as your co-wash, leave in, and deep conditioner. It isn't necessary, just one good botanical conditioner will do the job fine. some recommendations are Trader Joes teatree tingle, Tresseme naturals radience, Kinky curly knot today. there should be others, just google them and research the ingredients on the store website.

The idea w/ DC is to just use a conditioner and let the heat of your scalp open up your cuticles so your hair can absorb it. doing a baking soda rinse right before increases the effectiveness, since that removes build up that gets in the way of moisture absorption, and lifts the cuticle. You can also do acv rinse, they also lift product off the hair. It does close the cuticle, but once you dc your cuticle will open right up again from the heat.

I wouldn't recommend products that have silicones, protein(at least not at the top of the list), glycerin, sulfates, parabens, or anything with dangerous ingredients. Because of that I wouldn't recommend the vatika conditioner. It has a really toxic ingredient that you don't want to absorb into your scalp. When you do choose a product, look at the ingredients, and do research on the ingredients. As for the gels, many of them can be purchased online, (just google the name, a lot of them are on etsy.com) or even made by hand, like with flaxseed gel.

When it comes to this method, the products you use really matter; you can't just put any ingredient in your hair. These are one of the major things that steal moisture from our hair, aside from not re-hydrating hair enough, product residue and build up, and ph.

That's awesome that you have a youtube account, definitely share your experience so we can spread this.Smile

Date Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 4:04pm
btw which "option" are yall using?

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 1:35pm
Thanks so much for the detailed explanation makes sense. I just finished reading writing notes and watching all the videos you included in the previous post and I have gone through this whole post as well. I had another question in Step 3 The Bentonite Clay Rinse in option 2 it says do option 1 plus add ACV but you don't mention how much to add. 

So it looks like I will have to order most of these ingredients online so that will take me at least a week before I can start experimenting in the mean time I will continue to do GHE every single night and heating my conditioner. Today after I did my GHE I noticed a few more curls popping up in some parts of my hair that were not there. This gives me confidence that they are in there just hiding under the chronic dryness.

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 2:09pm
Those Vatika conditioners and oils have Mineral oil as the 1st ingredient.

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:51pm
So gel is a better sealant than oil? Who knew...where did this "gel is bad for your hair" stuff come from??

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 7:03pm

So gel is a better sealant than oil? Who knew...where did this "gel is bad for your hair" stuff come from??

The ingredients in a lot of regular gels are drying. Like ecostyler gel dries out and hardens my hair causing build up, flakes & breakage. Kinky curly is a natural gel & is moisturizing.

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 8:05pm

exactly what journey said... thanks journey

Date Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 8:12pm

Those Vatika conditioners and oils have Mineral oil as the 1st ingredient.
I remember when I did small twists with vatika oil, my hair never felt so dry. It felt like a hardened dry sponge by the time I took them out despite the fact I was spritzing my hair everyday and doing ghe at night... these ingredients steal moisture from our hair. I actually forgot to add mineral oil when I wrote the list of ingredients to avoid, but yeah definitely avoid mineral oil it's extremely drying, the driest I've ever felt my hair in fact and actually the reason I started researching max hydration was after that experience, it was horrible.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 12:48pm

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation makes sense. I just finished reading writing notes and watching all the videos you included in the previous post and I have gone through this whole post as well. I had another question in Step 3 The Bentonite Clay Rinse in option 2 it says do option 1 plus add ACV but you don't mention how much to add. 

So it looks like I will have to order most of these ingredients online so that will take me at least a week before I can start experimenting in the mean time I will continue to do GHE every single night and heating my conditioner. Today after I did my GHE I noticed a few more curls popping up in some parts of my hair that were not there. This gives me confidence that they are in there just hiding under the chronic dryness.

i'll have to look into it, but from the recipe i remember, its like a couple tablespoons of acv.

Yes, definetly keep doing ghe and heating conditioner, by the time you do the whole regimen everyday youll notice really amazing results. Even on days where i dont have time to do my hair in the morning, i just dont wash out step 2, and just a scarf over my shower cap when i go out, so even though i havent redone my hair, im still retaining moisture.

Another thing i can suggest is while you wait, still clarify your hair everyday but more diluted. Do bakingsoda option to help lift the cuticle before u DC, but only 1.5 teaspoons, with the 1/3 cup of conditioner, and add water (not so much that it gets watery, but enough to foam a little) into an application bottle. Rinse out after 30 mins to an hour under a showercap. Then do the DC/ghe step, and wear a fancy headscarf when you go out over your cap while you ghe during the day.

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 10:26am
I tried the clarifying treatment for the first time and OMG sliding my fingers through my hair felt like butter. Thanks a lot for that tip! Cant wait to get my ingredients and do the whole regimen.

just one question though in the original recipe option 2 of clarify you say to leave in the baking soda treatment for only 10 - 30 mins but here you advised me to leave it in for 30 mins to an hour. Was that a mistake or is it because I'm not doing the modified cherry lola yet?

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 1:31pm
You know what I went back and re-read what you wrote and I got it this is a diluted version of the original recipe. I assume this is why the waiting time is longer.

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 3:47pm

You know what I went back and re-read what you wrote and I got it this is a diluted version of the original recipe. I assume this is why the waiting time is longer.

yes, you are right, this version is more diluted. The reason for this is since you dont have gel on your hair, you wont need as much bakingsoda, otherwise it could make your hair feel a bit dry. The waiting time for both versions can actually be 30- 1 hr. If i could still edit the first post, i would edit step 1 option 2 to 30-60 mins. I actually keep mine on about an hour and its fine, your hair will feel soft all the same.

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 3:49pm

I tried the clarifying treatment for the first time and OMG sliding my fingers through my hair felt like butter. Thanks a lot for that tip! Cant wait to get my ingredients and do the whole regimen.

just one question though in the original recipe option 2 of clarify you say to leave in the baking soda treatment for only 10 - 30 mins but here you advised me to leave it in for 30 mins to an hour. Was that a mistake or is it because I'm not doing the modified cherry lola yet?

I'm glad its working for you! Clap

Posted By: fredricafekkai
Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 4:27pm
i had more success with the ACV instead of baking soda route. I've done this three or four times, but it takes sooooo long I end up doing it at night and only every 3-4 days. 

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by fredricafekkai fredricafekkai wrote:

i had more success with the ACV instead of baking soda route. I've done this three or four times, but it takes sooooo long I end up doing it at night and only every 3-4 days. 

Hi fredricafekkai,

Do which ever rinse works for you. So you've been trying the routine? How has your hair been feeling? Have you done the cherrylola yet?

Yes, it can definitely be time consuming. I suggest breaking the routine into parts. Do steps 1 and 2 at night. So the rinse and then dc overnight. Then rinse and detangle in the shower in the morning, do the clay rinse, let it sit for 15 mins, rinse out and do steps 4 and 5 in sections as you go along. The more you do it, the less time it seems to take, it just becomes routine. Try to challenge yourself and see if u can do it consecutively 5 days in a row. Your results come faster when u hit it hard everyday for at least the first week.

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 5:57pm
Exceedinggrace's updated wash and go picture(2nd day hair)

Exceeding grace's product free hair

Hello exccedinggrace, sorry i hadn't checked my email for a couple days so i didn't see these and your questions immediately u sent them. Anyway your hair is looking moisturizedSmile I see the tips are curly like u said. I will try and take pictures of my hair when i have time and post here. as for the FAQ, I'm actually working with kwicherbichen on putting them on its own website. I'll update on the developments of that later on. I will still answer questions individually until it's completed, though.

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 11:29pm
Hey everyone, my hair is still in braids otherwise I would be joining in on the action.

I have set up a blog-website to keep and organize the information as pinkecube details everything. The URL is this for now:
http://maxhydrationmethod.blogspot.com

I will be using all of you as testimonials by the way :) I'll use your aliases on here, but if you would like me to use your real name, your photo, or link to your website, send me a private message.

Date Posted: Mar 24 2014 at 3:18pm
Great job on the blog kwicherbichen looks great! 

I just posted pictures of my baking soda experience on my instagram @msdeekay2012 http://instagram.com/msdeekay2012 will be documenting there for now till I get all my ingredients and start the full regimen.  I used the tags #maximumhydrationmethod and #journeytomaximumhydration if any ladies are on instagram and want to share, you can use those tags and we can find each other that way.

I'll start documenting on the blog and youtube, once I start the full regimen. I'll PM you the links soon kwicherbichen.

@exceeding grace your hair looks wonderful, thanks so much for sharing your progress, it really encourages the rest of us. 

Posted By: fredricafekkai
Date Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 5:05pm

Originally posted by fredricafekkai fredricafekkai wrote:

Hi fredricafekkai,

Do which ever rinse works for you. So you've been trying the routine? How has your hair been feeling? Have you done the cherrylola yet?

Yes, it can definitely be time consuming. I suggest breaking the routine into parts. Do steps 1 and 2 at night. So the rinse and then dc overnight. Then rinse and detangle in the shower in the morning, do the clay rinse, let it sit for 15 mins, rinse out and do steps 4 and 5 in sections as you go along. The more you do it, the less time it seems to take, it just becomes routine. Try to challenge yourself and see if u can do it consecutively 5 days in a row. Your results come faster when u hit it hard everyday for at least the first week.

When I do it my hair feels soft and I do notice a difference. I recently did the Cherry Lola this past weekend and loved it. 
For right now since it is so cold, I don't want to leave with my hair wet so when I do it at night I either do the "halo crown" twists, do a twistout or bun

Date Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 2:33pm

Date Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 7:27pm
hi msdeekay, im posting those instagram pics on here as an image for convenience.

msdeekay's hair after doing bakingsoda rinse for first time. For her rinse, since she wasnt removing gel, she used 1-2 teaspoons instead of tablespoons in 1/3 cup of conditioner and a few oz of water.

Application:

Rinse out:

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:36pm
I wanted to share this with yall. I met the owner of a natural hair company last night. Here's her hair journey.

I asked her, "How did you go from a type-4 frizzy mess to your curls POPPING?" Her curls were not popped when I met her, she was in a twist out but based on the youtube video, I saw that she was consistently getting her curls popped. I STILL do not think her hair is as thick as mine, but after she told me what she did I saw that she was doing a simpler version of max hydration method. Using her 4/5 products (shampoo bar, moisturizing spray, a light leave-in for styling, a heavier leave-in, and a curling custard/gel)

I tried her products and I really love them mostly because they have the proper pH and she was able to tell me why each ingredient was necessary (It didn't seem like a random combination of oils and butters like other natural products).

The thing that struck me the most was her Curl Enhancing Custard. She said it was a gel except it is a completely different texture. At first I didn't believe it would work because it felt too soft and moisturizing, but I tried it because I HATE Kinky Curly. No flakes. No dryness. No hardness. I will be using her product as my "gel" for max hydration method for a long time.

You can get 10% off your order at www.obianaturalhair.com using coupon code 125553

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 7:10pm

I wanted to share this with yall. I met the owner of a natural hair company last night. Here's her hair journey.

I asked her, "How did you go from a type-4 frizzy mess to your curls POPPING?" Her curls were not popped when I met her, she was in a twist out but based on the youtube video, I saw that she was consistently getting her curls popped. I STILL do not think her hair is as thick as mine, but after she told me what she did I saw that she was doing a simpler version of max hydration method. Using her 4/5 products (shampoo bar, moisturizing spray, a light leave-in for styling, a heavier leave-in, and a curling custard/gel)

I tried her products and I really love them mostly because they have the proper pH and she was able to tell me why each ingredient was necessary (It didn't seem like a random combination of oils and butters like other natural products).

The thing that struck me the most was her Curl Enhancing Custard. She said it was a gel except it is a completely different texture. At first I didn't believe it would work because it felt too soft and moisturizing, but I tried it because I HATE Kinky Curly. No flakes. No dryness. No hardness. I will be using her product as my "gel" for max hydration method for a long time.

You can get 10% off your order at www.obianaturalhair.com using coupon code 125553

Hi kwicherbichen. those products do contain hydrolyzed wheat protein, to you protein sensitive ones. And glycerin, although it isn't the top 5 ingredients.

btw, there are other many gels than kinky curly that don't contain those products. I posted them here earlier.

also, have you tried kccc yet using the max hydration regimen? If you think it will work for you, then try it. but like i said b4 if you don't like the feel of kccc you can layer with a light oil for softness, and the cast softens but still maintains definition the longer you wear it. The feeling of the cast is different from actual dryness. The crunch cast feeling comes from the aloevera, and the crunch doesn't last as it is water soluable and part absorbs in the hair. I will send you the full list of gels i recommend in email and repost them here, since there are a few products I like to omit. The products I am omiting are free and clear styling gel, all the aussie gels, and tate's the miracle gel(i have reason to believe they are a scam company and give misinformation about their ingredients based on numerous amazon testimonies for their products.)

Date Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 10:18pm
My hair, before Doing the Maximum Hydration Method:

Paul mitchell and sheabutter was used to set my bantu knot outs.

My hair, after doing the max hydration method for about a month.

In the morning one day before, a bentonite clay rinse was also done on the hair.

Close up pictures taken on all sides of head. Watered down(5 parts conditioner, 1 part water) cowash and detangle with kinky curly knot today. hair is slightly damp, not dripping and dry in areas. This is taken 6 hours after the cowash(not entirely rinsed out, and then a quick reapplication of a dime sized amount of kinky curly knot today over my whole head as a leave in., no other product is in my hair. When i say slightly damp hair, i mean like my hair is 90-95% dry with a hint of dampness. Visible shine and root to tip definition on many hair clumps.

I will edit this post an include picture of my defined wash and go, and my hair wet after a bakingsoda rinse. The following pictures were taken before the two sets above. I will soon post pictures of my wash and go wet and dry using kinky curly knot today, which I recently bought.

Product free wet hair after most recent bakingsoda rinse(trader joe's tea tree tingle conditioner)

My wash and go using trader joe's tea tree tingle conditioner.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:01am
List of Recommended Gels, along with ingredients, sizes and price.
I have arranged them in order of price value, lowest to highest. 
All of these gels are made without glycerin, denatured alcohol, protein, unwater soluable silicones
(note: majority of these contain no silicones at all or polyquats, but a few do, though not with in the top 5 ingredients. I bolded the ones that do.), mineral oil, and panthenol(note: panthenol behaves like mild protein, the few gels that contain it in this list, can either be customly taken out on the website, or are not in the top 5 ingredients.)

Giovanni's L.A. Natural styling gel- can be found as low as $5.89, 6.8oz. $0.86/oz

Panthenol(2nd to last ingredient), Cinnamate

Natural Hair Gel Flaxseed & Marshmallow Root Hair Softner, Conditioner, Ph Balanced, Hair Moisturizer by Naturally Amari -$7, 8 oz $0.87/oz
(note: available on etsy.com, and pick the custom options without quinoa protein under sizes)

ingredients:
Certified Organic Flaxseeds, Certified Organic Marshmallow Root, 100%
preservative (Optiphen)

Bain de Terre Bamboo Ultra Control Styling Gel -
$10, 8.5 oz $1.18/oz

Ingredients:

H2BNNaturals: Hibiscus Hair Gellie -$11.50, 8 oz $1.44/oz
(etsy.com)
(contains vegetable glycerin, and vitamin B5, aka panthenol. but you ask her to remove the glycerin, and vitamin b5. she takes customs)

Glycerin
, Aloe Whole Leaf Juice, Marshmallow Root, Irish Moss,

Organic Marshmallow roots & Flaxseed Extracts Hair Moisturizer Gel-$11.50, 8 oz $1.44/oz

(available on etsy.com)
note: you can make a custom order without the panthenol, since panthenol is a light protein and can build up on the hair making it feel gummy.

Ingredients:
Infusions of organic flaxseeds and organics marshmallow roots , distilled water, Intense Hydration Complex, Panthenol, Inulin, natural and organic aromatic essences, Geoguard, Carrageenan extract, Potassium sorbate.

Curly Kinks Curl Factor -$15 for 8oz $1.88/oz or $23 for 16oz $1.44/oz
Ingredients: Infused Water (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root), Glycine Betaine (Beta vulgaris (Beet) Sugar Extract, Propanediol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Xanthan Gum, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol)(9th on ingredient list), Almond (Prunus Dulcis) Oil (Sweet Almond Oil), Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel (Prunus Armeniaca) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance, Citric Acid

New Gellie
by Bella Curl -
$11.95, 8 oz $1.49/oz
(etsy.com)

INGREDIENTS:
aqua (distilled), rosa damascena (rose otto) distillate,
magnesium chloride, gluconolactone(food additive) (and) sodium benzoate, essential oil
blend, cellulose copolymer

CURLSPIRATION Natural Curl Defining Hair Gel -$18, 12 oz $1.50/oz

(etsy.com)

honey, panthenol(6th to last ingredient), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,

Green tea curl glaze-$25, 16 oz 1.56/oz

note: very similar ingredients to kinky curly. Compare price of 16 oz kccc to this. available on etsy.com and amazon.com.

Ingredients

CurlyGirl Silky Custard -$12, 8 oz. $1.75/oz

Ingredients:

Herbal Choice Mari Hair Styling GEL for Him & Her -$14, 8oz $1.75/oz

Beautiful curls shea butter curl defining gel- $14, 8oz.  $1.75/oz

Ingredients
barbadensis), agave nectar, panthenol(6th ingredient), coconut oil, apricot fruit and

Epiphany Naturals Curly Creme with Argan Oil -$16, 8oz $2/oz

Ingredients:

Organic Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable, Corn), Organic Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet Sugar), EcoCert Hydrogenated Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponifiables, Organic Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Nut Oil, Argan Oil, Sclerotium (Mushroom) Gum, Organic Hibiscus rosa sinensis (Hibiscus) Leaf / Flower Extract, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5)(6th to last ingredient), Sclerotium Gum (Vegetable), KOSH Chondrus crispus (Irish Moss / Carageenan), Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Esters, EcoCert Gluconolactone, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance

4Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard-$12.5, 6 oz  $2.08/oz

Kinky curly curling custard -$17, 8 oz  $2.12/ oz

Natural Flaxseed Gel by Blendies -$8.50, 4oz $2.13/oz
(available on etsy.com)

Ingredients:

Curls Goddess Glaze-$14, 6 oz $2.33/oz

Ingredients
Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polyquaternium-7(6th ingredient), Polysorbate 20,

miessence certified organic shape styling gel -$27, 8.5 oz $3.18/oz

Ingredients:
certified organic aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, xanthan gum, chondrus crispus (carageenan) gum , certified organic arctium lappa (burdock) extract, certified organic pelargonium graveolens (geranium) essential oil, certified organic equisetum arvense (horsetail) extract, certified organic urtica dioica (nettle) extract, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, certified organic rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, certified organic rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, certified organic salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, certified organic ethanol (sugar cane alcohol)

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 9:45am
Yah I was actually going to ask you if you wanted me to email you those pictures or if you can simple just take them from my instagram, thanks for thinking ahead of me lol :)
Oh wow Pinkecube your hair just did a 360 and it's doing great! Your progress is very encouraging. I would say before I big chopped and started cowashing every single day and doing the GHE method every night my hair looked more like yours in the first five pics, but now I can start seeing some clumping and curl definition. This gives me lots of hope that this method will work on my hair. I tried the paul mitchell conditioner sometime back but it left my hair crunchy, now I know why!

I found a great list of ingredients to look out for in case others may be struggling like me when reading ingredients. Hope this helps :)

List copied from 
http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.se/p/curly-girl-method-essentials-for.html

Sulfates (bad):

Alkylbenzene sulfonates
Ammonium laureth sulfate: can be drying to the hair
Ammonium lauryl sulfate: can be very drying to the hair
Ammonium Xylenesulfonate
Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
Sodium cocoyl sarcosinate
Sodium laureth sulfate: can be drying to the hair
Sodium lauryl sulfate: can be especially drying to the hair
Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate
Sodium myreth sulfate
Sodium Xylenesulfonate
TEA-dodecylbenzenesulfonate
Ethyl PEG-15 cocamine sulfate
Dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate

Silicones :

Amodimethicone not soluble in water by itself
Behenoxy Dimethicone Sparingly soluble in water
Cetearyl methicone not soluble in water
Cetyl Dimethicone not soluble in water
Cyclomethicone not soluble in water
Cyclopentasiloxane not soluble in water
Dimethicone not soluble in water
Dimethiconol not soluble in water
Stearoxy Dimethicone Sparingly soluble in water
Stearyl Dimethicone not soluble in water
Trimethylsilylamodimethicone not soluble in water

Water-Soluable Silicones:

Dimethicone Copolyol water soluble
Lauryl methicone copolyol water soluble
Any non-water silicone with PEG in front of it
Drying Alcohols:
SD alcohol 40
Witch hazel
Isopropanol

Salts (Bad):

Calcium chloride
Magnesium chloride
Magnesium sulfate: has been found to add volume to hair, used to enhance curls
Potassium chloride
Potassium glycol sulfate
Sodium Chloride

Other Bad Ingredients:
Mineral oil
Paraffin
Petrolatum

She found the list from
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 5:53pm
^They changed the formula of the Uncle Funky's gel like a week ago, they added glycerin & hydrolyzed wheat protein.

I think Curly Kinks Curl Factor may be one, $15 for 8oz $23 for 16oz
Infused Water (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root), Glycine Betaine (Beta vulgaris (Beet) Sugar Extract, Propanediol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Xanthan Gum, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Almond (Prunus Dulcis) Oil (Sweet Almond Oil), Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel (Prunus Armeniaca) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance, Citric Acid

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Journey94 Journey94 wrote:

^They changed the formula of the Uncle Funky's gel like a week ago, they added glycerin & hydrolyzed wheat protein.

I think Curly Kinks Curl Factor may be one, $15 for 8oz $23 for 16oz
Infused Water (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root), Glycine Betaine (Beta vulgaris (Beet) Sugar Extract, Propanediol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Xanthan Gum, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Almond (Prunus Dulcis) Oil (Sweet Almond Oil), Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel (Prunus Armeniaca) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance, Citric Acid

Thank you for telling me this Journey. I will edit the list. I have also removed the zerran hair gel as it contained non water soluable polyquat-4 in the second ingredient. It really sucks that uncle funky changed their formula. It's got glycerin as the second ingredient. (sigh) And I don't recommend hydrolyzed wheat protein no matter where its at.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 6:16pm
Pink this is amazing. My hair is super duper short so im willing to try anything. I tried everything recommended as far as regimens but curls are not clumping together like the pics above. What am I doing wrong?

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 6:46pm

Pink this is amazing. My hair is super duper short so im willing to try anything. I tried everything recommended as far as regimens but curls are not clumping together like the pics above. What am I doing wrong?

Okay. I will need you to answer a few questions so we can figure this out.

What products are you using. You cowash, your leave in, your deepconditioner(even if you have to repeat the same product), your gel, your oil(in any). (And how much oil you are using?) I need full names of products so I can search the ingredients.

What option are you choosing for each step?

Have you experimented with different options?

How are you diluting step1, either or both options(what are the ratios you have been using)?

Please describe to me in detail how you are doing the regimen and the options you are choosing.

Have you gotten the proper bentonite clay, or are you still using amla powder? Please tell me the specific brand name of this powder or clay you are using.

Miscalleneous question: Do you have a shower filter. I actually had my shower filter installed November last year. I use the kind that filters out chlorine from the water. I recommend the chrome finish, as it doesn't crack like the plastic one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZVFX02/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZVFX02/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went ahead and looked up the specific components of amla powder. It's a protein. If you are still using this you may want to stop, as you could be protein sensitive and it may be taking away from your hydration levels.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280952-what-are-the-benefits-of-amla-powder/" rel="nofollow - http://www.livestrong.com/article/280952-what-are-the-benefits-of-amla-powder/
"Other components of amla powder include: albumen, iron, calcium, protein, phosphorus and carbohydrates
"

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 11:17am
Pinkecube do you think you can help me decode the ingredients in this conditioner. I found this in a local store and decided to give it a try as I wait for conditioners I ordered online. It's the tresemme vibrant naturals nourish and replenish conditioner this one has aloe vera and avocado oil it says hypoallergenic, no added colour, silicone free

Ingredients: Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropoyl Dimethylamine, Persea Gratissima Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Brassica Campestris/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Chloride, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, PEG-150 Distearate, Dipropylene Glycol, Alcohol, Magnesium Nitrate, Magnesium Chloride, Lactic Acid, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool.

When I use it as part of the baking soda treatment and as a deep conditioner my hair is very soft but as  a leave in after my hair dries it is very dry and crunchy. Even though there is some curl definition. 

I used it on both my sons as well to test out how it would react on their hair. I'm pretty sure they are not low porosity because the product doesn't leave the white residue and it disappears into the hair. Which tells me it's being absorbed properly into their hair. However, it also leaves their hair crunchy and dry after their hair dries. 

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 11:44am

Okay. I will need you to answer a few questions so we can figure this out.

What products are you using. You cowash, your leave in, your deepconditioner(even if you have to repeat the same product), your gel, your oil(in any). (And how much oil you are using?) I need full names of products so I can search the ingredients.

What option are you choosing for each step?

Have you experimented with different options?

How are you diluting step1, either or both options(what are the ratios you have been using)?

Please describe to me in detail how you are doing the regimen and the options you are choosing.

Have you gotten the proper bentonite clay, or are you still using amla powder? Please tell me the specific brand name of this powder or clay you are using.

Miscalleneous question: Do you have a shower filter. I actually had my shower filter installed November last year. I use the kind that filters out chlorine from the water. I recommend the chrome finish, as it doesn't crack like the plastic one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZVFX02/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZVFX02/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went ahead and looked up the specific components of amla powder. It's a protein. If you are still using this you may want to stop, as you could be protein sensitive and it may be taking away from your hydration levels.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280952-what-are-the-benefits-of-amla-powder/" rel="nofollow - http://www.livestrong.com/article/280952-what-are-the-benefits-of-amla-powder/
"Other components of amla powder include: albumen, iron, calcium, protein, phosphorus and carbohydrates
"

Whoop whoop Pink is helping me get to my journey of coils.Tongue

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 11:57am

Pinkecube do you think you can help me decode the ingredients in this conditioner. I found this in a local store and decided to give it a try as I wait for conditioners I ordered online. It's the tresemme vibrant naturals nourish and replenish conditioner this one has aloe vera and avocado oil it says hypoallergenic, no added colour, silicone free

Ingredients: Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropoyl Dimethylamine, Persea Gratissima Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Brassica Campestris/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Chloride, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, PEG-150 Distearate, Dipropylene Glycol, Alcohol, Magnesium Nitrate, Magnesium Chloride, Lactic Acid, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool.

When I use it as part of the baking soda treatment and as a deep conditioner my hair is very soft but as  a leave in after my hair dries it is very dry and crunchy. Even though there is some curl definition. 

I used it on both my sons as well to test out how it would react on their hair. I'm pretty sure they are not low porosity because the product doesn't leave the white residue and it disappears into the hair. Which tells me it's being absorbed properly into their hair. However, it also leaves their hair crunchy and dry after their hair dries. 

It's likely a combination of many ingredients including: fractionized coconut oil, (the specific parts that make coconut oil function as a humectant, and get hard in cold weather). aloe juice(some ppl find this drying. Aloe is a humectant, but not a super strong one like glycerin or propylene glycol. ) the denatured alcohol and the salts, and quaternary salt(waxy substance) in this product. I will bold the specific problem issues.

Ingredients: Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropoyl Dimethylamine, Persea Gratissima Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Brassica Campestris/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Chloride(quaternary ammonium salt, aka surficant), Parfum, Sodium Chloride(table salt), PEG-150 Distearate, Dipropylene Glycol, Alcohol, Magnesium Nitrate, Magnesium Chloride(epsom salt), Lactic Acid, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone(mild toxicity) http://ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703924/METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE/" rel="nofollow - http://ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703924/METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE/ , Methylisothiazolinone http://ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703935/METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE/" rel="nofollow - http://ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703935/METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE/ , Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool.

Stearamidopropoyl Dimethylamine, don't worry about this ingredient, it's vegetable oil based, it can never latch on to the hair like certain oils, proteins, and silicones do.

"CAPRYLIC/ CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE: Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride is a mixed triester of glycerin and caprylic and capric acids."
http://ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/701056/CAPRYLIC%3B%3B_CAPRIC_TRIGLYCERIDE/" rel="nofollow - http://ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/701056/CAPRYLIC%3B%3B_CAPRIC_TRIGLYCERIDE/

"Caprylic Capric Triglycerides
are a specific fraction of coconut oil / palm oil fatty acids"
http://ingredientstodiefor.com/item/Caprylic_Capric_Triglycerides/464" rel="nofollow - http://ingredientstodiefor.com/item/Caprylic_Capric_Triglycerides/464

http://ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/700657/BEHENTRIMONIUM_CHLORIDE/" rel="nofollow - http://ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/700657/BEHENTRIMONIUM_CHLORIDE/

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:09pm
I don't know what i'm doing wrong. Ok these are the products I use daily except the deep conditioner:
Ur Curly quinoa conditioner
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Peg-40 Hydrogenated, Castor Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glycerin, Polyquaternium-10, DMDM Hydantoin, Menthol, Leaf Oil, Crambe, Abyssinica Seed Oil (Abyssinian Oil), Fragrance, Aloe, Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Flower/Leaf/Stern Extract, lodopropynl Butylcarbarrate.

Camille Rose Naturals Moisture Milk
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Peg-40 Hydrogenated, Castor Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glycerin, Polyquaternium-10, DMDM Hydantoin, Menthol, Leaf Oil, Crambe, Abyssinica Seed Oil (Abyssinian Oil), Fragrance, Aloe, Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Flower/Leaf/Stern Extract, lodopropynl Butylcarbarrate.

Camilee Rose Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
Ingredients: Deoinized water, aloe vera juice, butyrospermum parkii(shea)butter, cocos nucifera (coconut oil), behentrimonium methosulfate (BTMS) cetyl alcohol, theobroma cacao (cocoa)butter, mangifera indica(mango)seed butter, cannabis sativa(hemp) seed oil, di panthenol, mel(manuka)honey, vegetable glycerin,camellia sinensis )green tea) extract, simmondsia chinensia(jojoba) seed oil, rosa canina(rose hip) fruit oil, bitis vinifera(grape)seed oil, oenothera biennis(evening primrose) oil,phenoxyethanol and capryly glycol(optiphen), blue green algae, dimethyl sulfone (msm), biotin, tocopheryl acetate(vitamin E), mentha piperita (peppermint)oil, scent and LOVE!

4 Naturals curl craze lotion
ngredients:
Water , Glycerine , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) , Glycol Distearate , Cetearyl Alcohol , Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil (Sunflower) , Ethylhexyl Palmitate , Phenoxyethanol , Caprylyl Glycol , Chlorphenesin , Allantoin , Aminomethyl Propanol , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder , Sodium Acrylate , Sodium Acryloyldimethyl, Taurate Copolymer , Trideceth-6 , Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean) , Tocopherol Acetate , Fragrance 

Tressemme naturals w/Aloe vera and avocado Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
Ingredients
Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance, Lauryl Lysine, Caprylyl Glycol, Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed)/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Aspartic Acid, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Persea Gratissima (Avacado) Oil (Organic), Citric Acid, Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice (Organic)

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:11pm
When I do the steps 1-5 I use everything you have above expect the bentonite clay. I don't wanna buy that stuff and I can't use it. Somebodayyyyy send me some. 

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:17pm

I don't know what i'm doing wrong. Ok these are the products I use daily except the deep conditioner:
Ur Curly quinoa conditioner

Camille Rose Naturals Moisture Milk

Camilee Rose Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
Ingredients: Deoinized water, aloe vera juice, butyrospermum parkii(shea)butter, cocos nucifera (coconut oil), behentrimonium methosulfate (BTMS) cetyl alcohol, theobroma cacao (cocoa)butter, mangifera indica(mango)seed butter, cannabis sativa(hemp) seed oil, di panthenol, mel(manuka)honey, vegetable glycerin,camellia sinensis )green tea) extract, simmondsia chinensia(jojoba) seed oil, rosa canina(rose hip) fruit oil, bitis vinifera(grape)seed oil, oenothera biennis(evening primrose) oil,phenoxyethanol and capryly glycol(optiphen), blue green algae, dimethyl sulfone (msm), biotin, tocopheryl acetate(vitamin E), mentha piperita (peppermint)oil, scent and LOVE!

4 Naturals curl craze lotion
ngredients:
Water , Glycerine , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) , Glycol Distearate , Cetearyl Alcohol , Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil (Sunflower) , Ethylhexyl Palmitate , Phenoxyethanol , Caprylyl Glycol , Chlorphenesin , Allantoin , Aminomethyl Propanol , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder , Sodium Acrylate , Sodium Acryloyldimethyl, Taurate Copolymer , Trideceth-6 , Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean) , Tocopherol Acetate , Fragrance 

Tressemme naturals w/Aloe vera and avocado Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
Ingredients
Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance, Lauryl Lysine, Caprylyl Glycol, Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed)/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Aspartic Acid, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Persea Gratissima (Avacado) Oil (Organic), Citric Acid, Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice (Organic)

Just a quick glance and I can aready see many possible dehydrating factors in these ingredients. I will update in an hour with the specifics.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 7:30pm
Thanks so much  for the insight pinkecube. Your help in this forum is very highly appreciated.

I know for a fact my hair doesn't like coconut oil! I'm not too sure about aloe vera yet. I suspected the salts and alcohols but your analysis has opened my eyes to a lot more ingredients that could be drying to my hair...and surprise surprise there's even a mild toxin!!!

Someone should come up with a line of products specifically for type 4 low porosity hairLOL . It looks like most of the products on the market except for very few contain ingredients that can be even more drying to our hair type.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 8:21pm
Dayummmm I spent good money on those product above. I need a cheat sheet.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 8:27pm

Thanks so much  for the insight pinkecube. Your help in this forum is very highly appreciated.

I know for a fact my hair doesn't like coconut oil! I'm not too sure about aloe vera yet. I suspected the salts and alcohols but your analysis has opened my eyes to a lot more ingredients that could be drying to my hair...and surprise surprise there's even a mild toxin!!!

Someone should come up with a line of products specifically for type 4 low porosity hairLOL . It looks like most of the products on the market except for very few contain ingredients that can be even more drying to our hair type.

I am actually working with Kwicherbichen on that. I've already got the rough designs sketched for a product line and the planned ingredients. Not gonna share their specificities just yet, but it takes EVERYTHING into account, I'll say that much. We have a bought a website domain already. And there is already a blogspot site. We will be starting a kickstarter on the site after the ebook is published to help raise money to pay for the development of these products. The eBook will contain the most finalized regimen steps, and options, with details of pros and cons if there are any. details of why the regimen work, along with many important FAQs(along with scientifically sourced material) about drying ingredients, ph, and more.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 8:41pm

Dayummmm I spent good money on those product above. I need a cheat sheet.

You will only need 3 products. One thick conditioner(Will be multifunctional in regimen). A Gel. A clay powder.

Cheat sheet:

Conditioner recommendations(So far, still incomplete)

http://curlmart.com/product/kinky-curly-knot-today/" rel="nofollow - http://curlmart.com/product/kinky-curly-knot-today/

http://www.curlmart.com/product/curls-curl-ecstasy-hair-tea-conditioner/" rel="nofollow - http://www.curlmart.com/product/curls-curl-ecstasy-hair-tea-conditioner/

http://www.curlmart.com/product/curl-junkie-beauticurls-leave-in-hair-conditioner/" rel="nofollow - http://www.curlmart.com/product/curl-junkie-beauticurls-leave-in-hair-conditioner/

http://www.curlmart.com/product/jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner/" rel="nofollow - http://www.curlmart.com/product/jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner/

http://www.curlmart.com/product/jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner/" rel="nofollow - http://www.curlmart.com/product/jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner/

http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Conditioner-Peppermint-Eucalyptus/dp/B002LMNJDA/ref=sr_1_218?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1395766110&sr=1-218" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Conditioner-Peppermint-Eucalyptus/dp/B002LMNJDA/ref=sr_1_218?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1395766110&sr=1-218

http://www.desktopdrugstore.com/tresemme-naturals-radiant-volume-conditioner.html?gclid=CIzB1-eUvr0CFSwdOgodWVcAwg" rel="nofollow - http://www.desktopdrugstore.com/tresemme-naturals-radiant-volume-conditioner.html?gclid=CIzB1-eUvr0CFSwdOgodWVcAwg

18 non-drying Gel recommendations:
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page8.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page8.html

Clay powder recommendations:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Bentonite-Clay-Powder-1-lb-454-g/15252?gclid=CL78n-aSvr0CFa47Ogod0kQAwQ&gclsrc=aw.ds" rel="nofollow - Bentonite Clay

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/now-foods-red-clay-powder-moroccan-6-oz-powder/n8-1167?sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=40-60&keyword=N8-1167&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-40-60-_-N8-1167&gclid=CMuM1OWSvr0CFRQaOgod3lEAnw&gclsrc=aw.ds#.UzoXv1dN3Lk" rel="nofollow - red clay

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/product/supplements/personal-care/european-clay-powder-6-oz/?gclid=CIOQi-WSvr0CFYMcOgodmRAAuA" rel="nofollow - european clay

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/rainbow-research-french-green-clay-powder/ID=prod6147229-product" rel="nofollow - French Green Sea clay

http://www.terressentials.com/haircare.html" rel="nofollow - Terresentials

Date Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 8:56pm
Question..the purpose of the ACV is to clarify correct? If this is done every 1-2 days wouldn't this dry out the hair? and if the purpose of the ACV is to clarify, what is the purpose of the clay?

Date Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 6:58am
YAAAAY That's great news Clap I truly support you ladies in this endeavour because I believe all ladies with our hair type should at least know that this option exists :) if you ladies need any help PM me, I'd be glad to help in any way that I can. It's the least I can do for the assistance you've been offering to us all :)

Date Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 8:37am

I am actually working with Kwicherbichen on that. I've already got the rough designs sketched for a product line and the planned ingredients. Not gonna share their specificities just yet, but it takes EVERYTHING into account, I'll say that much. We have a bought a website domain already. And there is already a blogspot site. We will be starting a kickstarter on the site after the ebook is published to help raise money to pay for the development of these products. The eBook will contain the most finalized regimen steps, and options, with details of pros and cons if there are any. details of why the regimen work, along with many important FAQs(along with scientifically sourced material) about drying ingredients, ph, and more.

I would like to be part of the focus group to test the product pleaseBig smile.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 8:38am
also I beg you please don't let it be $65 a jarCry. I think that's quite insane.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 5:41pm

also I beg you please don't let it be $65 a jarCry. I think that's quite insane.

lol?LOL Wink

a pound of bentonite clay costs $12.73. That will last you a few years. That is the most expensive powder clay, though i haven't calculated price value.

Edit: the Rhassoul Clay is $4.99 and 1 pound, cheapest. Actually different from red clay, but i forgot and didn't post the click-able link.
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/aztec-secret-indian-healing-clay-1-lb-clay/sw-1001#.Uzt-xldN3Lk" rel="nofollow - link to Rhassoul clay

will last and is LESS expensive than bentonite clay.
The most expensive clay mentioned there cost $20, the terresentials. None works better than the other, they all have the same function, although teressentials contains aloevera which may be too drying for some people.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 5:52pm
Are you saying that the products I have above are duds???

Date Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 6:23pm

Are you saying that the products I have above are duds???

Yes. I am still finishing up writing the specific problem ingredients with explanation, and it's gonna take me a little bit to complete. I will still post it, I just never finished it yesterday.

Print Page | Close Window