Print Page | Close Window

Backhanded compliments

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368917
Printed Date: Dec 17 2018 at 2:32am

Topic: Backhanded compliments
Posted By: zsazsa
Subject: Backhanded compliments
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 2:02pm
Which one's have you received? I have a friend who sometimes feels like a fiend as she's a queen of giving compliments sugared with a meawwwww in them. She's ruthless it's hard to catch it at the time until you've walked away. She's mellowed slightly.

Do you encounter people like this?

Her latest gem to me was "babes just relax it (hair) you always look nice with that style and you dont have to worry about your hair breaking all crazy as you don't retain growth

Replies:
Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 2:38pm
I'm that friend: (

I'm getting better. I started really thinking before I speak.

In August, I remember cause it was around a time when some stuff happened, I told my friend, "I know y people don't like me as soon as they see me, but I don't understand y people don't like u. Ur so nice."

I didn't even catch it until I repeated the story to my man and he laughed uncontrollably and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 3:06pm
I love giving compliments    I don't see the purpose of giving a compliment if your going to be catty.

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 4:34pm
I give backhanded compliments but it's always intentional. I only direct them to my family members, close friends and people who know that I dislike them. Only for giggles (except for those whom I dislike) and they usually return equally backhanded compliments.

Return the favor and have fun with it! If not, leave that shady heifer alone.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by thewonderfulwa thewonderfulwa wrote:

I love giving compliments   

this. i give compliments all the time.Clap

you never know whose day you could make by telling them how nice they look

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 6:32pm
I give backhanded compliments, but I am trying to work on it. Some people deserve them though. 

( I told someone I liked her LV bag, then I got close to it and said the stitching was interesting Cry, she deserved it though)

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 6:33pm
You're big but shapely.

I want to look like you when I get old.

Your skin will clear up once you have that baby. . . I'm sorry, I thought you were still pregnant. 

********************************************************************************

These are a few I've heard and I used the "wanna look like you" on my aunt who used to say I was big but shapely when I was a size 12. Dead

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 7:35pm
Just got told today, "You dress your ass off to be a 'thick' girl" (read fat).

Damn...you couldn't just say you like my outfit? Had to be a for a big girl, huh?

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 7:38pm
Shade! I gasped out loud on the train. The lady sitting next to me looked at my screen like what happened? Lol

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 7:39pm
Jeezus princess. Lol!

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 7:44pm
I just hope ole girl isn't a snitch cuz I served her ass right back. I don't wanna talk to HR.

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 7:51pm
I don't give backhanded compliments.  I either say what's on my mind or nothing at all.  The last and most annoying backhanded compliment involved a former co-worker who figured out that I had never had sex and wasn't in a relationship.  She was all "I admire you sweetie(she's younger than me) but I couldn't do it" all patronizin like...then proceeded to "enlighten" me that there are decent men and insisted that she should set me up with one.  Ermm

Posted By: Petty LaBelle
Date Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 8:05pm
Not backhanded but I hate the "you look nice today" as if im ugly all the other days lol
Just leave the"today" off.

Print Page | Close Window