Print Page | Close Window

Wisdom teeth :(

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368888
Printed Date: Sep 19 2018 at 1:38pm

Topic: Wisdom teeth :(
Posted By: browneyez4548
Subject: Wisdom teeth :(
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:05pm
Do you have them?

Did you get them all taken out or just the one bothering you?

I have an appointment on Wednesday to remove my wisdom tooth. Dentist wants to remove both on one side. According to him "If I only take out the bottom one that is bothering me, then eventually the top one would start to fall on it's own since it has nothing to align with" I gave him the biggest side eye Sleepy I only plan on removing one.

I swear I felt like the dentist and assistant were trying to "sale" me on pulling out more teeth than I needed too Sleepy sh*t is annoying af...medicine is truly a business..nothing more...for some :/

Anywho,

Opinions?

Experiences EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Prep me...Everyone that I've asked to share their opinion is either "Oh, it was no biggie" or "Ommmggg girl, you are gonna die!!!! It's the worst pain ever! I'd rather give birth!!

Like, why can't I have chill friends??? They're either dramatic af or too fuking calm LOL 

Replies:
Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:18pm
@ youre gonna die... but for real tho

I was talking about this a couple hours ago at work. My coworker called out last week cause of hers. I took all 4 out before 21, if 2 were giving me fevers and a swollen jaw, why keep any? Plus they all had the nerve to grow in together.

No problem except for glands swelling and throat getting sore while healing. I'm the only person I know who that has happened to I took 2 out on the same day. I had to go to the ER for one cause it was hurting 2 weeks later. It was fine, just sore. Occasionally, I do get phantom tooth pain. Lol.. nothing there but its hurts. The younger you take them out, the better

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:33pm
Ming, your experience just scared me..that sounds terrible Cry

I just don't want to go through any unnecessary pain, by taking out more than one Disapprove

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:36pm
just do it all at once 

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:38pm
I had an appointment to get mine removed earlier this year, but my appointment got canceled because of the snow, and I have yet to reschedule because I got bored and started googling things.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:42pm
it's not so much about healthy teeth as it is the space in your mouth

Posted By: NJHairLuv
i still have mind and im 40 with no issues, but they are still growing. im very very focused on keeping them healthy so that i dont have to deal with the agony that i hear people talk about. i think that my brothers still have their wisdom teeth too.

Posted By: BBpants
I got all of them removed. I had no problems with them but I had the option to remove them when they started to grow in. The pain afterwards was HORRIBLE but it was worth it cuz I don't have to deal with them again

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:43pm
Lol.. girl sit down. Why go 4 time when you can go twice? I went 3 times. 1, 1 then 2. Hindsight... I have a low tolerance for pain. It was throbbing and I was like... uh uh its been 2 week, my bday coming so I went to the hospital .. Its over before you know it, wont even remember falling asleep. I really don't know why my glands swole tho. I'm glad I did it then, no job, just school. No unnecessary talking. I know people who went back to work after getting them removed.

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

The younger you take them out, the better

Exactly. The longer you keep them, the longer the root of the tooth grows, then they practically have to break your jaw to remove them.

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:46pm
lol.. BB youre the only one who said after was bad. My throat was swollen! It hurt to swallow but youre right, I wont ever feel that again. Some people are lucky and don't have to remove them. Mine were growing it nice, straight but I was with the teething at 20 y.o

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:50pm

lol.. BB youre the only one who said after was bad. My throat was swollen! It hurt to swallow but youre right, I wont ever feel that again. Some people are lucky and don't have to remove them. Mine were growing it nice, straight but I was with the teething at 20 y.o

It was so horrible! I remember my family ordering all this wonderful food while I was stuck with soup! I was terrified of drinking out of straws and my mouth hurt like sh*t! My face was swollen and it left blood on my pillow!!

Cry omg im having flashbacks !!

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:51pm
i felt like i was dying. i had one taken out....then we had steake and mac and cheese for dinner that night.AngryErmm

as long as i had painkillers in my system i was cool. if it wore out then...yes i was dying. that was probably the worst part. i thought i'd be scared of the needle in my gums...you know cause they wanted to make it numb...well i was like Stern Smilebut it wasnt so bad. i was still talkin (cause i was nervous)and they had it out in a min or two..and i didnt even notice.

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:58pm
I had to have mine removed because I was biting the insides of my jaws and things like that.  One night they hurt so bad I couldn't sleep.  I can't swallow pills so I just laid there in wisdom tooth induced agony.  I got the 2 at the bottom removed.  These 2 bastards at the top are still there..taunting me.  The recovery is pretty bad but I would defiantly suggest getting them all taken out at once so you don't have to deal with them later.  You'll thank yourself later.

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 10:27pm
I'm going to bed, you guys are legit scaring me Cry And this is the first medical procedure that I'll be going to solo. I feel silly wanting to ask someone to take a day off to chaperone a dentist visit LOL I'm gonna be on local anesthesia and was told I should be able to drive afterwards.  I've watched way too many movies and heard too many news stories for me to feel comfortable being put to sleep on a dentist chair. So, awake I will be Lol Ouch

Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

The younger you take them out, the better

Exactly. The longer you keep them, the longer the root of the tooth grows, then they practically have to break your jaw to remove them.

And wtf NJ???? CryCryOuch

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

I had to have mine removed because I was biting the insides of my jaws and things like that.  One night they hurt so bad I couldn't sleep.  I can't swallow pills so I just laid there in wisdom tooth induced agony.  I got the 2 at the bottom removed.  These 2 bastards at the top are still there..taunting me.  The recovery is pretty bad but I would defiantly suggest getting them all taken out at once so you don't have to deal with them later.  You'll thank yourself later.

Does it feel weird having the two on the top?

And I would have blended those pills into a nice little smoothie. After my last surgery, my pain tolerance went to -30 Lol

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 11:12pm
Never needed to remove it, but when it was growing, it hurt like hell.

Posted By: marumaruyobi
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 4:26am
Just get them all out at once. I remember talking to the assistant about something and then I was out. Woke up halfway through as he was yanking out one of them but didn't feel anything and was out again. I was barely awake for most of the recovery cus the drugs just made me sleep so I was well rested! 

The worst part for me was having to stretch my jaw afterward to gain the range of motion back so your muscles don't stiffen up. I thought I was doing a good job on my own until I went back and found out I wasn't. Given the alternative of dealing with that pain I would choose the surgery any day. 

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 4:35am
I've got 4 I need to remove. Cry

I was told this at 18 but my mom tends to not care about whatever I have that requires surgery.

Well. I'm a working adult now and they're still there so I'll get them removed on my own.

Once in awhile, they do hurt. Dead I'm 22 now. I want to get them removed but I'm so afraid of the pain and getting a dry socket, aie!!

Posted By: jdoriginal
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 5:31am
I had all 4 removed at around 25. They didnt hurt a single day...werent bothering me at all but the dentist said 2 were imapcted and 2 were partially impacted and I should take them out BEFORE they started to give trouble. Since my insurance paid for most of it I agreed. I went under general anesthesia and woke up crying. The waking up crying thing really freaked me out. I wondered if I had some kinda deep seated issues. Recovery wasnt bad.  Got 7 days home from work. Mouth bled a lot in the first day and face was swollen for all 7. Other than that it was pretty ok.

I kinda regret taking them all out now. Kinda wished I kept the 2 partially impacted ones cause I feel like my teeth hv shifted slightly and...just...like I took out part of my body for no reason.

Posted By: oh_so_moody
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 10:10am
Brown, your dentist told you the same thing mine told me about top and bottom. You must go to a dentist office in Midtown ATL too. Lol!

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 10:20am
I got all 4 taken out at 21. They put me to sleep...best sleep ever! It was painful recovering and those pain killers were my best friend for about a week. But within 10 ten days I was back eating regular foods. Mind you I got all 4 taken out at the same time

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 10:26am
went to a dental surgeon and got all 4 taken out at once maybe 8 years ago after i kept getting tooth infections in one of them. i had insurance but it was $400 because i wanted to be put to sleep. no issues recovering and no regrets.

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 11:28am
I'm 43 & had no issues with my wisdom teeth coming in. Neverhad them taken out because they never caused me any grief.I'm not even sure when they came in I THINK I was about 17.

Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 11:39am
I have had extensive dental work due to genetical dental issues.  My best advice is...remember this phrase....STAY AHEAD OF THE PAIN.

This means don't let the pain medication get out of your system.  If you can't swallow large pills....like me..... go to the drugstore and get ibuprofen in the smaller pills (they are normally 200 mg per pill) and I would take like 4 pills which equals 800 mg.  This is normally the dosage of the dental pain medication.

I would take 4 pills like every 5 hours for the first 3 days so I NEVER FELT any pain.  Don't let the numbness wear off and you have not taken anything.  If you are not hungry eat at least one slice of bread before taking the pills.  Normally ibuprofen does not give an upset stomach but I always do that as a preventive measure.

Also make sure if they give you any type of antibiotic, PLEASE PLEASE TAKE IT AS DIRECTED....and take the complete dosage as required...if it is every 8 hours then....that might be for you 6 am -2pm-10 pm or 7-3-11.  If the pills say every 6 hours then...follow that and that means....9 am then 3pm then 9 pm.

FOllow instructions please.

Posted By: Omgitsdannie101
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 12:44pm
I'm 18 and got all 4 removed in August because I just finished my invisalign treatment and didn't want to risk my teeth shifting. The removal wasn't bad because none of mine were impacts but my doctor didn't wait till I was asleep to start pullin so I felt the first one (ouch!). But recovery was a breeze, just make sure ou ice in the first 24 hours and you'll hardly swell.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 2:14pm
i have more than enough room in my mouth. my dentist said as long as i keep good hygiene habits i wont have problems Approve

Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by jdoriginal jdoriginal wrote:

I had all 4 removed at around 25. They didnt hurt a single day...werent bothering me at all but the dentist said 2 were imapcted and 2 were partially impacted and I should take them out BEFORE they started to give trouble. Since my insurance paid for most of it I agreed. I went under general anesthesia and woke up crying. The waking up crying thing really freaked me out. I wondered if I had some kinda deep seated issues. Recovery wasnt bad.  Got 7 days home from work. Mouth bled a lot in the first day and face was swollen for all 7. Other than that it was pretty ok.

I kinda regret taking them all out now. Kinda wished I kept the 2 partially impacted ones cause I feel like my teeth hv shifted slightly and...just...like I took out part of my body for no reason.

I woke up crying too. I was so confused LOL

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 2:19pm
Dentists must make a lot from removing these.
I know mine cost $500 per tooth with insurance. 
I'll remove em myself if need be. ._.

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

just do it all at once 
this. the way it happened with me was that one hurt (i was 18) and my mom took me to the dentist. the verdict was that the pain was temporary, but my wisdom teeth were going to grow in impacted and that could lead to other problems (infection, crowding, etc). 

my mom was like -- no sirruh -- and made an appt to have them all taken out at once while i was on spring break.  i healed within the week i was off & the only (future) complication was that one of my molars became sensitive due to the exposure/drop of the gum line and i eventually had a root canal (didn't feel a thing though). 

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 4:53pm
My dentist said all 4 of mines were growing inwards and would shift all my teeth. That was 2 whole years ago and im fineLOL. The only issue i have is with the bottom left one. It seems to have grown out ever so slightly. Not enough to be seen but enough to cause a small flap opening of skin. So food particles would get in there and cause bad odor. Anything i ate on that side of my mouth cause a nasty wafting odor. But i used a toothpaste that had hydrogen peroxide in it that the issue went away. The dentist told my brother the same thing and he had all 4 removed at the same time. His face was swollen, for the first 2 days his mouth would bleed randomly, and he was on strong pain killers. im glad i never did it. I think that dentist was just out for money.

Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by oh_so_moody oh_so_moody wrote:

Brown, your dentist told you the same thing mine told me about top and bottom. You must go to a dentist office in Midtown ATL too. Lol!

LOLLOL Girl, I promise you I gave him THE hardest side eye...like nicca please Sleepy buuuttt I've been doing some research since I got home today and turns out he wasn't lying Ouch I'll try and see if I can find the vid again and post it.

*sigh* So ok, I'll be getting 2 removed, instead of just one, and I'll consider the other 2 Cry

Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 8:56pm

Start at 1:28

Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 8:58pm
And thank you everyone for posting Hug

since I don't think I posted it correctly:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmojYJboXcM" rel="nofollow - http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmojYJboXcM

Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 8:58pm
Good luck Brown

BB... my mother made ribs for the first time in my almost 21 years of life. It smelled so good while she cooked it all night.. trife

Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 8:59pm
Thanks Ming! Smile

Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:

I have had extensive dental work due to genetical dental issues.  My best advice is...remember this phrase....STAY AHEAD OF THE PAIN.

This means don't let the pain medication get out of your system.  If you can't swallow large pills....like me..... go to the drugstore and get ibuprofen in the smaller pills (they are normally 200 mg per pill) and I would take like 4 pills which equals 800 mg.  This is normally the dosage of the dental pain medication.

I would take 4 pills like every 5 hours for the first 3 days so I NEVER FELT any pain.  Don't let the numbness wear off and you have not taken anything.  If you are not hungry eat at least one slice of bread before taking the pills.  Normally ibuprofen does not give an upset stomach but I always do that as a preventive measure.

Also make sure if they give you any type of antibiotic, PLEASE PLEASE TAKE IT AS DIRECTED....and take the complete dosage as required...if it is every 8 hours then....that might be for you 6 am -2pm-10 pm or 7-3-11.  If the pills say every 6 hours then...follow that and that means....9 am then 3pm then 9 pm.

FOllow instructions please.

Thank you for this! I would prefer taking ibuprofen before taking anything too strong.

I'm always afraid of prescription pain pills because they are so addictive, I'm not even sure why they haven't adjusted those things yet.

Last time I had surgery, I almost got addicted to them, so I take them with caution.

Print Page | Close Window