Print Page | Close Window

who do you talk to when youre feeling down?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368866
Printed Date: May 22 2018 at 5:35am

Topic: who do you talk to when youre feeling down?
Posted By: Josephuss
Subject: who do you talk to when youre feeling down?
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 5:52pm
certain friends? family members? nobody? I been  depressed for  so  long people  probably  see the signs as normal aspects of my personality or think that the way I talk is similar to the way I think and I dont have normal feelings of loneliness and despair so I dont talk to anyone, not that I know many people to begin with.

Replies:
Posted By: Mz. Mocha
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:18pm
I think you should go to church and get counseling. If your not into church you should search for a regular therapist. If funds is an issue look into community resources for counseling but just get some help. Hope this helps. (Concerning questions about feeling down I usually go shopping or watch a funny movie)

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Mz. Mocha Mz. Mocha wrote:

I think you should go to church and get counseling. If your not into church you should search for a regular therapist. If funds is an issue look into community resources for counseling but just get some help. Hope this helps. (Concerning questions about feeling down I usually go shopping or watch a funny movie)
thanks but im just asking to see what people do

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:53pm
I get physical.  I run, I swim, I go for walks.  I don't too much like talking to people because it turns into so many things.  When I do choose to talk to people, I talk "up" meaning I talk to people who have been where I am and come out on the other side. 

When I was depressed I tried to remember when the last time I truly felt happy was.  It had been so long that I really had to dig to remember what made me happy!  Sports.  I began playing women's volleyball and soccer as well as coaching basketball.  

I began to feel better almost immediately.  

Good luck Hug

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:59pm
Jesus.

Posted By: Mz. Mocha
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:02pm
No prob Smile

[QUOTE=Josephuss]
Originally posted by Mz. Mocha Mz. Mocha wrote:

thanks but im just asking to see what people do
[/QUOTE]

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:28pm
It depends on whats its about honestly but I do have a therapist.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:48pm
mom
counselor
bottom of a bottle

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

why did you get a therapist if you dont mind me asking?

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:01pm
MY older friend I treat her like a #2 mom she always has great advice and always talks me down from edge.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:04pm
Nothing, really. Just go on the internet and try to forget it. Cry, get mad and isolate myself.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Josephuss Josephuss wrote:

Over the summer my bf passed away,  I woke up to that scenario and I could not sleep/function. I still barely sleep and to be honest I wonder sometimes when/if things will ever be "normal" again.

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:08pm
HugGrace.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:17pm

Over the summer my bf passed away,  I woke up to that scenario and I could not sleep/function. I still barely sleep and to be honest I wonder sometimes when/if things will ever be "normal" again.
oh sorry to hear that. death of a loved one is hard to deal with so hopefully youre coping well. im sure things you'll have a return to normalcy since youre receiving the proper help

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Nothing, really. Just go on the internet and try to forget it. Cry, get mad and isolate myself.
as long as being isolated doesnt become part of your  daily life  because youll end up wallowing in your misery and it could consume you

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:24pm
I still do stuff but I am less stringent, I used to be the girl who woke up at 5am to workout religiously and everything had to be perfect. I still go the gym but if its a 9am I don't sweat it but I'm also on a leave from work so I do what I want. 

It helps to have a unbiased person to vent to, I got so sick of my friends and family telling me you have to do this or that when actually I don't. 

Posted By: nemesis1
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:39pm
No one...

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:47pm
No one. I just surf the internet to either forget the issue for a while or I meditate to feel some inner peace. Lately I have been praying and it helps.

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:56pm
Sorry to hear that Grace. Hug

I don't talk to my family about issues anymore because either they are in the same situation and I don't want to worry them with my issues or the advice they give isn't sound.  I find myself confiding in my bf more these days.  He's optimistic about things without being annoying.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:57pm
my therapist

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

my therapist
are you depressed? i had a therapist for like 4 months but my conversion skills were so low I didn't really benefit from it.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:35pm

my therapist
are you depressed? i had a therapist for like 4 months but my conversion skills were so low I didn't really benefit from it.

Your money your time, find another one. You won't always click with the therapist, no need to keep going if you are not happy.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:41pm

my therapist

Your money your time, find another one. You won't always click with the therapist, no need to keep going if you are not happy.
it was paid by medicaid, but even so it was really on me mostly. my verbal skills were so poor I  only gave short  answers without elaborating on anything.

Posted By: Findingmyme
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:41pm
My sister

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:48pm
Look into another doctor who may do Pro Bono or low cost sessions, some do it based on income. 

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:57pm

Look into another doctor who may do Pro Bono or low cost sessions, some do it based on income. 
I think im done. I did have some recent thoughts I wish I had someone to express to but I just  need to interact with people more in a non clinical situation.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:58pm
Well either way good luck Heart I met some fun people doing pottery classes.....

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:06pm
God/my creator

Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 2:28am
nobodyyyy *keith sweat voice*

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 9:42am
I'm going to reply for lurkers more or less, joe take what you may.

Therapy. I was fortunate that I clicked with my therapist. I was attacked on the streets by a stranger with a police club years ago. Can you say PTSD city?!?!?!!?!

We used EMDR therapy along with several other forms. It helped "unstuck" me from that moment in time. I was practically frozen in time. It didn't happen over time...but with really intense hard work on MY part (your therapist is just a guide) I was finally able to regain a new normal.

I'm still hyper-aware of my surroundings. But a good therapist equips you with knowledge and hella ways to re-frame your thoughts and find your center.

I could go on and on. It worked for me and I was quite fukked up so I always sing the praises of a good therapist.

Also, go to your doctor. Not the head doctor. Your family dr. 

Draw up some blood work.

Whenever I'm feeling depressed ,without outside circumstances that would result in depression, I know my iron levels are dangerously low.

S.S.S tonic works wonders for those who suffer from severe anemia. Operative word, severe. Don't take that ish if your iron levels are just a tad bit low. Your doctor will freak out if your iron is low...that's when you know to grab S.S.S tonic.

You'd be surprised! Many black folks also need to take vitamin D supplements. If you find yourself especially depressed during fall/winter...but you perk right back up during spring/summer. Check your vitamin D levels.

Hope this lil bit helps.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 9:48am
Hug

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 10:00am
No one irl..

I usually vent to my Random Thoughts Thread family. They are very supportive

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 11:27am
HugSeductress and HB.