Print Page | Close Window

Pharrell Williams Responds To G I R L Backlash

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368865
Printed Date: Dec 12 2017 at 12:34pm

Topic: Pharrell Williams Responds To G I R L Backlash
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Subject: Pharrell Williams Responds To G I R L Backlash
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 5:50pm

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014/02/pharrell-williams-responds-g-r-l-backlash/" rel="nofollow -

Pharrell Williams Responds To G I R L Backlash

by http://www.clutchmagonline.com/author/clutch/" rel="nofollow - Clutch — Feb 27, 2014

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=zj-8huFjbSj_8M&tbnid=UMDft6gWi7at1M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6fT_GlomuXw&ei=yCARU7C3Kem0yAHAwoD4DQ&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNE-80-BvdxLHD79Q3ZOkj1wKdBuIg&ust=1393717719755650" rel="nofollow">

Pharrell Williams is addressing the backlash he’s received because of the cover of his new album  G I R L for not featuring any black women. Williams appeared on NYC’s 105.1′s Breakfast Club and spoke with Charlemagne.

Williams was quick to point out that one of the women on the cover is actually black.

Check out Williams’ comments below:

What really disappointed me is they jumped the gun, because the one I’m standing closest to is black. She’s a black girl from Wisconsin that I used to date over ten years ago or maybe like twelve years ago. That just must suck man for people to look at something and to assume they know what’s going on. If they just bothered to listen to my album, they would know that my album was an ode to women, period. And the one thing that I’m trying to kill…well I can’t kill anything…but the one thing I was just trying to help and aid in changing the crazy statuesque standard of you gotta be white, waif, and thin for you to be beautiful.

Williams also discussed his song “Marilyn Monroe”:

My next record is called “Marilyn Monroe” and the chorus is, ‘Not even Marilyn Monroe who Cleopatra pleased, Not even Joan of Arc, That don’t mean nothing to me, I just want a different girl.’

So that means no matter what color you are, what size you are, what you’re into, your sexual orientation, I respect you as a woman because I know without you, none of us would be here. But unfortunately, they looked at the cover & they didn’t see what they felt like — I don’t know what the definition is. That she’s a light-skinned black woman. But I mean, what is the conversation? So is our president not black? Is Lenny Kravitz not one of our greatest? What are we talking about? Is Lisa Bonét in or out?

I’m not mad because I understand. I understand that plight. My dad is a dark-skinned man. I understand that, I know what that is all day long. Have I lived it specifically? Yeah, I’m a black man.

They just reported I was the first black person to go number one on pop radio since Rihanna, but then you’re gonna shoot at me? What do you mean? I’m gonna turn 41 in April. Of course I’m doing this for us. What are you talking about, man?

My mom is a black woman who is a huge part of my business. My business is run by another black woman and I’m married to a black woman. What are you talking about?

Charlemagne then makes a joke about including a dark skinned woman like Gabourey Sidibe in his next video to make people happy.

I refuse. My whole album is about women — period. There’s such a bigger statement that I’m making in the album that relates to all women and that’s how I think we bring everyone together is when we respect the female species across the board. I’m not telling you my album don’t have no slick, perverse things. That’s what I do sometimes!  I like curves I like eyes, beauty, body, all that stuff. But there are some real, true, keystone points about how I feel about women as it pertains to humanity, the social imbalance, how they don’t get paid as much as men do. Or like how these legislatures are trying to tell women what they can and can’t do with their body. Meanwhile, these same people are beneficiaries to a woman. Not a man, but a woman agreeing to have them, but you’re going to tell them when they can and can’t do it. It just bothers me because they’re missing the point.

Pharrell ended the conversation in regards to the black woman on the cover:

Man, it must suck to be that black woman that’s on my cover right now because she’s black. When they find out that she is black, then what? Then we’re arguing amongst ourselves within color. Then the argument’s going to be she’s not brown enough. Then my question to you is, are y’all asking me do I have an Indian person on the cover? Why aren’t you asking about a Pakistani person? A Middle Eastern person on the cover. I just…MAN! What are we talking about? We’re making huge strides here. Let’s unify, dude. ‘Cause honestly, if you know anything about me, if you’ve seen any of my videos, you seen any of the girls I’ve ever dated, you know I like ‘em all.. You would know that.

Check out the video below:

Replies:
Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 5:53pm
Blah blah blah

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 5:55pm
That album ain't for us.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 5:57pm
I really have no words to describe how astoundingly ignorant and lost this "colorblind" generation is... no words

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:00pm
Btw,

"Colorblind" is just a code word for anti-Black/anti-all Black

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:03pm
wow... talk about reaching. this album is hot fiya, tho.

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:07pm
The two girls in the middle look exactly alike.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:20pm
Pharrell has an irritating voice after more than one spin.  He knows exactly what people meant by black...that chick is the same color as the white girls and her hair is not a celebration of multi-cultural women, otherwise she would at least be kinky and curly.  I hate when ppl are deliberately obtuse when they're confronted on racial things.  

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:32pm
I can't say how much I dislike this guy and guys like him

This is the go-to argument that Black men use to shut down any credible frustrations that dark Black women have regarding colorism

Gabby S. is always used because her humanity is a joke to damn near everybody, even some Black women. What a way to shut us up

Meanwhile, Phailrrell turns the argument back on Black women for not concerning ourselves with the plight of "Middle Eastern women" and how we're "missing the point"... wait what?

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Charlemagne then makes a joke about including a dark skinned woman like Gabourey Sidibe in his next video to make people happy.

I refuse. My whole album is about women — period. There’s such a bigger statement that I’m making in the album that relates to all women and that’s how I think we bring everyone together is when we respect the female species across the board. I’m not telling you my album don’t have no slick, perverse things. That’s what I do sometimes!  I like curves I like eyes, beauty, body, all that stuff. But there are some real, true, keystone points about how I feel about women as it pertains to humanity, the social imbalance, how they don’t get paid as much as men do. Or like how these legislatures are trying to tell women what they can and can’t do with their body. Meanwhile, these same people are beneficiaries to a woman. Not a man, but a woman agreeing to have them, but you’re going to tell them when they can and can’t do it. It just bothers me because they’re missing the point.

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:03pm
Dang Alias.
He doesn't get any points for marrying black though?

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:04pm
Pharrell and these quadroons need to sail that dumb ass hat off a cliff.....and Happy suxxxxxxxx....

Posted By: ppp38
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:12pm
So a lightskin black woman doesnt count as black? That mentality is ridiculous. I agree with Pharrell. 

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:13pm
Had no idea that the woman he is married to considers herself "Black"

She's like Kevin Hart's woman, very Asian/mixed-Asian looking

Even if he was married to Black-looking Black woman, does that somehow grant him of the ability to perpetuate colorism?

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Dang Alias.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:16pm
I honestly couldn't tell which one was the black one. *shrugs*

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:24pm

Had no idea that the woman he is married to considers herself "Black"

She's like Kevin Hart's woman, very Asian/mixed-Asian looking

Even if he was married to Black-looking Black woman, does that somehow grant him of the ability to perpetuate colorism?

Dang Alias.

She doesn't consider herself black?
Where did you hear this?…lol

Perpetuate colorism .. oh geese … I don't feel like touching that one.
I guess you just have to go by their track record.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:30pm
OoDles O,

What exactly is it that you have a problem with? In terms of my criticism?

Is he not perpetuating colorism?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=zj-8huFjbSj_8M&tbnid=UMDft6gWi7at1M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6fT_GlomuXw&ei=yCARU7C3Kem0yAHAwoD4DQ&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNE-80-BvdxLHD79Q3ZOkj1wKdBuIg&ust=1393717719755650" rel="nofollow">

He is a Black man... he made it a point to be surrounded by women who are not his complexion... on an album, titled G I R L, paying homage to women. He literally excluded women who mirror his image on his album in favor for 3 that don't Stern Smile

ok Oodles, this has nothing to do with colorism. Nothing at all

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:35pm
i dont see any blk women on that cover.
Geek

Posted By: Princess Grace
I heard the interview this morning on my way to the gym, he had that I just want 'people" to love my music, 'I'm a artist" , music has no colors vibe going. 

All the artist he names working with were all white, Bieber, Lourdes, Thicke, when he kept saying how soulful Robin Thicke was and kept comparing him to Marvin Gaye I turned the station to Rickey Smiley. 

Originally posted by ppp38 ppp38 wrote:

So a lightskin black woman doesnt count as black? That mentality is ridiculous. I agree with Pharrell. 

light skinned black people are still black but everyone knows light skinned black women are used as the token because they're more palatable to the general public so why keep perpetuating that when you have a huge platform?

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:37pm
The girl in the back has to be black. I can tell by her edges lol

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:38pm
All good Alias …

first off… Where did you hear that his wife doesn't consider herself black.
Im just curious.

secondly Give me other examples of him (IYO) going out of his way to perpetuate colorism.
Don't you think you need more than one example before you excommunicate a brotha.
or no?

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:40pm
It was like he doesn't even want it brought up, he is a man wearing a big hat making music for everyone. Cry What I found odd was he thought Charlemagne and that crew were going to do anything BUT act colored? 

He should have pulled that Kumbaya mess on Ryan Seacrest show or something. They prob would have never even asked..

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:40pm
Black men have to understand this... they have every right to use the image of White and racially ambiguous women on and in their "art"

And we have every right to tell them that they're using them on purpose

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:45pm
Oodles, it's the last day of February.

Run me my thread.Stern Smile

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:48pm
When and where did I say this!?!??!

Secondly, who says that you have to "go out of [your] way" in order to perpetuate colorism? It's actually quite easy to do so, society makes it so.

I understand that this is hard for you to digest as a Black man in 2014 but you can not publicly "appreciate" the image of non-Black women without perpetuating colorism/racism *gasp* so radical! Shocked You can not simply ignore reality and context

The minute you willfully choose ignore the context of your actions and play into "colorblindness" is the minute you become a tool of White Supremacy and anti-Blackness

Black women need to stop feeling ashamed about calling Black men out on anti-Blackness. They are the biggest perpetrators of this mentality these days

All good Alias …

first off… Where did you hear that his wife doesn't consider herself black.
Im just curious.

secondly Give me other examples of him (IYO) going out of his way to perpetuate colorism.
Don't you think you need more than one example before you excommunicate a brotha.
or no?

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:48pm
When i first saw the cover to this, i cooned him!

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:50pm
I need like a 7 day extension Cry 

I'm not sure if you wanted some positivity or me to type out my theory on how
Scrutiny is at an all time high do to the fact that something deemed as negative is more impactful
than anything positive.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:52pm
I like Pharrell he is one of the few black men who actually chose to put dark skinned women in his videos. All of sudden people want to come for Pharrell. I don't feel that he articulated his stance very well. But Pharrell supports black women, dark skinned women especially.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:54pm
that's a video about living off drug money and shyt lol the album about positivity doesn't have dark skinned women though.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:55pm
Alias… not sure why you would make this comment then.
Quote Had no idea that the woman he is married to considers herself "Black"
I see you have a pitchfork its all good though … I still give thanks in other threads

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:56pm
^ that's not Pharell video its 2 chainz

I don't understand him being so clueless if you didn't want any darkies in your video just say it.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by thewonderfulwa thewonderfulwa wrote:

^ that's not Pharell video its 2 chainz

I don't understand him being so clueless if you didn't want any darkies in your video just say it.

I know but He and Pharrell made an emphasis on getting dark skinned girls in the video. I show you guys a video filled with gorgeous dark skinned beauties and y'all still want to slam the manCry

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

I like Pharrell he is one of the few black men who actually chose to put dark skinned women in his videos. All of sudden people want to come for Pharrell. I don't feel that he articulated his stance very well. But Pharrell supports[ black women, dark skinned women especially.

But the title says "2chains ft Pharell"

Anyways, welp ladies, looks like we lost yet again...

Pharell.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:58pm

I need like a 7 day extension Cry 

Oh do you now? Well then I'll just simply extend Black History Month 7 more days to accommodate your lateness Mr. Oodles. How's that sound?

You got 6 days to run me my thread.Stern Smile

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:59pm
But that means... exactly what it says.

I had no idea that his wife considers herself Black Confused
All this time, I thought she was Asian *shrugs*

I see you have a pitchfork its all good though … I still give thanks in other threads

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:01pm
Another video for all the naysayers. The dark skinned girl is the star of this one too.Tongue

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:03pm
that video is from when mainly blacks were checkin for him, now he has the whites on lock and he's kickin dark skinned chicks to the curb, just let it be what it is f8! let it be what.it.is!

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:06pm

Another video for all the naysayers. The dark skinned girl is the star of this one too.Tongue

Have you ever heard the expression, the exception proves the rule? Isn't it sad that these particular examples stick so far out in your mind? What was that, like 2002?

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:06pm

I was lurking LSA and they said pharell made this video after the backlash snoop and him received from the beautiful music video that barely had any bw in it. nice try though!

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:07pm
exclamations = pitchforks now? lmao LOL

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

]

I was lurking LSA and they said pharell made this video after the backlash snoop and him received from the beautiful music video that barely had any bw in it. nice try though!

It's a shame that when a black man puts a girl that black in his video he gotta be makin a point (she was in a lot of vids back in the g though)

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

that video is from when mainly blacks were checkin for him, now he has the whites on lock and he's kickin dark skinned chicks to the curb, just let it be what it is f8! let it be what.it.is!

Not yet. He also Partnered with Issa Rae a dark skinned talented woman. Big smile

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:11pm
LoL the song gotta be called awkward black girl to have a black girl in it...LOL

Posted By: ppp38
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:12pm
A whole lot of inferiority complex going on in this thread

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by ppp38 ppp38 wrote:

A whole lot of inferiority complex going on in this thread

I wonder why?

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:13pm
fck pharrell

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:17pm

But that means... exactly what it says.

I had no idea that his wife considers herself Black Confused
All this time, I thought she was Asian *shrugs*

I don't even know what your trying to say...
Do you know what your trying to say?
You thought his wife was Asian?
It must be a surprise to you that his wife is black. 
Does he deserve a cookie for making black love.. no ...

but I don't think You seem to know enough about Pharrell in general.
but your throwing that brother into the fire. lol

all Im saying is… what is his track record.

and stop backwards quoting !!

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:22pm
Slightly OT: One of these days I'll make a thread on a Harvard article that details how colorism affects Blacks (with studies & receipts!) for those who think it's only real 'if you believe in it'.

Oh, and Happy Black History Month!Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:26pm
Oodles, you sound confused so please read this closely

In a conversation regarding Pharrell's decision to place White and racially ambiguous women on his album cover... you bring up the fact that he married  a "black woman" as a way to give him points in this conversation.

I admitted to not even recognizing his wife is Black upon first sight. How is marrying someone who looks racially ambiguous (to some degree) suppose to prove that he is not biased against the (obvious) Black female image?

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:27pm
I think the wife is half or part Asian(East Indian)...i'm pretty sure her last name is Indian.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:30pm
these bishes will never be happy with nothin.
If the woman isnt midnight black she isnt black. we get it, light butts dont count for sh*t. okay.
pharrell has had dark skinned women represented in his videos.
f8 posted a few good examples and yall coming with these "but but but"
Aint never happy with nothin

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Slightly OT: One of these days I'll make a thread on a Harvard article that details how colorism affects Blacks (with studies & receipts!) for those who think it's only real 'if you believe in it'.

Oh, and Happy Black History Month!Thumbs Up

Colorism is live and real. But getting upset with Pharrell but loving the rest of the wack azz rappers who never even featured one dark skinned woman, or supported them; is something I just don't agree with. But I usually don't like black men ain't ish threads. It disturbs my spirit sometimes. 

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:33pm
Black identity and Black phenotype are two different things.

You don't have to be Black upon first sight to share the identity. That's not what we're talking about here. Please don't try to derail the conversation by throwing in a red herring

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

these bishes will never be happy with nothin.LOL
If the woman isnt midnight black she isnt black. we get it, light butts dont count for sh*t. okay.

I don't think that is the issue here. Light skinned people isn't what is upsetting people. People are just tired of seeing the same ol discrimination and being told get over it. I feel that the battle is right just not the target imho.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:36pm
Ahhhh I see
"racially ambiguous to some degree" is the issue here.

She doesn't look racially ambiguous to me.. (even with the blond hair).
And nice Tea CC.. you always come through.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:36pm
Im saying a dark skinned black woman is not the only way to represent black women.
A black woman was featured on his album cover. She just wasnt the correct shade. Then if she were dark skinned, it would have been her hair, or was her nose broad enough? Were her lips too thin?
It could go on and on...
I could see if the man never had any dark skinned women featured in his work, but that isnt the case

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:37pm
I respect your perspective f8

Although I believe that we should want to point out the micro aggressions just as we should the macro

Colorism affects us at all levels

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:40pm

I respect your perspective f8

Although I believe that we should want to point out the micro aggressions just as we should the macro

Colorism affects us at all levels

IA it does
Were on the same sideCry. I just like Pharrell, I just don't feel that Pharrell is the right target.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:41pm
Ohhh okay. So you see her as being "Black" and not biracial or other? Your post makes sense to me now

Ahhhh I see

And nice Tea CC

They all look mixed-Asian to me

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=WyAZrRuMBiJeIM&tbnid=aCFcko8PahTQqM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2013%2F10%2F13%2Fpharrell-williams-helen-lasichanh_n_4092974.html&ei=x0gRU6KgO8qMyQGXnYFo&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNEpAT7MurqhznYGRLr_gcdDsDvuxg&ust=1393728027286255" rel="nofollow">

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=oMVyITuKXdO1vM&tbnid=uR4Jd4R1wzP2LM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimgarcade.com%2F1%2Fkevin-hart-emiko%2F&ei=3UgRU4ilJYqEyAH9fw&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNHYlmjsyeZ1NjzUB10FM5VnxPVxMg&ust=1393728033323588" rel="nofollow">

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=K_zd42SRzzNcvM&tbnid=3fFAp-1vCY54tM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonlyvibe.com%2F2013%2F08%2Fkarrueche-tran-at-the-8th-annual-kandyland-event-in-beverly-hills%2F&ei=70gRU-jTO-STyQHE3YGIAw&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNGQRwzsJSnP2wXU2NmAAKCe38AL9g&ust=1393728038322438" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:41pm

Ahhhh I see

Are you one of those "color blind" people Oodles?
Not insinuating anything just asking.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:45pm
@alias Post one of Amerie's pre-surgery pictures. PS can make anyone look ambiguousLOL

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:45pm
I think the problem is, is that we have a lot Black men who are used to being assigned the privilege of being labelled or thought of as "pro-Black" while courting anything but "just Black" women.

Black men don't want to lose that privilege... the privilege of never being called out for their "colorblind preference" and yet still being considered "down" for Black people

they want their cake...

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:46pm
Whose is pre-surgery f8?

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:46pm
Omg look a Kimchies camel toeDead

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:48pm

Ahhhh I see

I didn't want to derail this thread anymore lol. I think it would be a good thread for a good read in the future on one of BHM's dry days.Thumbs Up

I do wonder what would happen if beyonce did a cover with 2 yt dudes and 1 is he or isn't he yt guy standing beside her what the backlash would be. I can only imagine the feelings that would be caught.Evil Smile

Oh, and I still like the song Happy.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:49pm

I think the problem is, is that we have a lot Black men who are used to being assigned the privilege of being labelled or thought of as "pro-Black" while courting anything but "just Black" women.

Black men don't want to lose that privilege... the privilege of never being called out for their "colorblind preference" and yet still being considered "down" for Black people

they want their cake...

Man that was my issue with Belafonte and Paul Mooney. But I don't know I see some fine dudes who aren't black and well.................... sometimes I wanted to dip in the creamCry

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:52pm
f8, I'm not against so-called interracial unions

I'm against the erasure of Black women from humanity

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:54pm
Yes I know I usually agree with your stance on racial issues.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:12pm

Man that was my issue with Belafonte and Paul Mooney. But I don't know I see some fine dudes who aren't black and well.................... sometimes I wanted to dip in the creamCry
Cornell West syndrome.LOLWinkLOL

Posted By: juniper angel
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:13pm
Those girls look white with a tan they dont even look light. And why is pharell everywhere lately.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:21pm
I love how colorblind black men are only colorblind when the situation doesn't affect black men. Let a major mainstream network show or movie have a black woman paired with a non-black man as the lead or some injustice is mainly targeting black men then they all of a suden regain their vision.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:42pm

I love how colorblind black men are only colorblind when the situation doesn't affect black men. Let a major mainstream network show or movie have a black woman paired with a non-black man as the lead or some injustice is mainly targeting black men then they all of a suden regain their vision.

True.... ScandalLOL

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:44pm
So can someone tell me which one is black? I'm thinking it's probably the one with the red lipstick but then I look at the edges of the one in the back

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:49pm
So no one is gonna answer my question? I can't tell!

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:52pm
I think the one he is standing closest too is supposedly the black one, shrugs shoulders. He should have just ignored the critics, the album cover was already done and now he is getting side eyes for his response. 

It seems its always one extreme or the other, really dark skinned wearing a afro or a twistout or so light you wonder if its a spray tan or not.

Posted By: jayjaynonie
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

Those girls look white with a tan they dont even look light. And why is pharell everywhere lately.

Exactly they aren't fooling anyone. Those women don't even appear to be "light-skin" black. They are racially ambiguous. No one even knows for sure which one is supposed to have "part-black" ancestry". Is it the one with the edges or the one in middle that was mentioned??

If you have to look that hard and seriously question it. You know she wasn't put there to represent any "type" of black woman, weither it be caramel, dark skin, light skin,etc. She was put there to represent what she appears to be, a racially ambiguous woman.

Plus I agree with this

When and where did I say this!?!??!

Black women need to stop feeling ashamed about calling Black men out on anti-Blackness. They are the biggest perpetrators of this mentality these days

and this

Posted By: jayjaynonie
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

LMAO everyone is trying to figure out. I've seen this posted on two boards and a lot were saying the one in the back because of the edges. (that's what I thought) However, Someone said Pharrell was talking about the woman with the red lips.

But that's what I mean If you can't even tell which one is "part" black....

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I think the one he is standing closest too is supposedly the black one, shrugs shoulders. He should have just ignored the critics, the album cover was already done and now he is getting side eyes for his response. 

It seems its always one extreme or the other, really dark skinned wearing a afro or a twistout or so light you wonder if its a spray tan or not.

OK, so I guess it's the girl with the red lipstick...

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by jayjaynonie jayjaynonie wrote:

LMAO everyone is trying to figure out. I've seen this posted on two boards and a lot were saying the one in the back because of the edges. (that's what I thought) However, Someone said Pharrell was talking about the woman with the red lips.

But that's what I mean If you can't even tell which one is "part" black....

LOL, you gotta look at the pic with a freakin' telescope and it's still hard to give a positive answer

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:01pm
I'm assuming the "black" one is the one in the far back that looks like Michael Jackson circa 1987

But doesn't having to "guess" which one is Black defeat the purpose of stating that one of them is actually of African descent?

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:01pm
I can't defend these niqqas. They know exactly what they are doing.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:12pm
He's targeting whites with this album.
If he puts nigguhs on the cover crackas gone pass on it.
I wish he would just be honest.
We ain't stupid.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

We ain't stupid.

Would they pass on it, though? There's been black people on album covers for decades now and people still bought the music because it was good, period.

It's these black dudes today that are perpetuating colourism in the media at this point.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:32pm
I cant remember the last time I actually saw a album cover anyway...people still buying cds??? The only way I might see it is when it shows up on my Ipad when I play a song and 9/10 I don;t sit there and watch the screen.

If I have any interaction with his music its because he produced someone else, his music has always been uhhh different. That song "happy" makes me think of  a show in vegas starring Wayne Brady . I turn it when it comes on, sort of like John Legend.

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:59pm

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

We ain't stupid.

Would they pass on it, though? There's been black people on album covers for decades now and people still bought the music because it was good, period.

It's these black dudes today that are perpetuating colourism in the media at this point.

One black on the cover is enough.
Two blacks would be too much.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:14am
if the album is about celebrating all women.. it would have been nice if he had like one brown.. one white.. one yellowish or asian.. 

he or someone in his camp had to know ppl wouldn't care for this… 

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 1:38am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

LoL the song gotta be called awkward black girl to have a black girl in it...LOL

no cape

but that was the name of her show right?

Yes.

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 2:59am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

no cape

but that was the name of her show right?

yeah I knew that and that was the only reason she made it into the song/video. Issa Rae had to come up with the idea first.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 3:50am
Pharell may be one of those black artists what use black girls as a trend.

There are three girls in the album and not one of them could be black? He basically doesn't want t market to to us as well anymore. 

He knew what he was doing. 

Coon in the closet

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 4:55am
This is why people [black people]stop fuccking with black people

If he had one ultra dark black chick nigguhs would be like .. Tokenism

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 4:59am
Or why she in the back

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 5:30am
There's no need for Pharrell to explain himself. I would have said no comment and kept living the dream  

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 5:40am
Smh @ Marcelo's avi.

Y'all black men gotta do better

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 5:52am
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

There's no need for Pharrell to explain himself. I would have said no comment and kept living the dream  

I have a serious question. If being surrounded by white women is living the dream then why are you here with us? Does not compute. This is why I think of lot of BHM males are bitter trolls.

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 6:13am

Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

I have a serious question. If being surrounded by white women is living the dream then why are you here with us? Does not compute. This is why I think of lot of BHM males are bitter trolls.

When did I say white women are the dream Shocked

I mean his lifestyle is the dream. Making good music, dating the flyest women, getting paid doing it his way is the dream Clap I do understand as a public figure, u have to say the right things and act like u really care about what random people think about your work tho. If I was a celeb, "certain" black women would not like me too.

Posted By: Dapheny
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 9:46am
lmao @ Afro

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Dapheny Dapheny wrote:

lmao @ Afro
or why she gottat be ultra black, what about us in the middle of the spectrum sistahs?

what about us, light chicks get shine and so do ultra black chicks? what about us? what about us?

oh woe is us

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 9:52am
thats why i download and sneak into concerts

nicca aint getting my money

Posted By: juniper angel
Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 10:32am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

This is why people [black people]stop fuccking with black people

If he had one ultra dark black chick nigguhs would be like .. Tokenism

She doesnt have to be ultra black but she shouldnt look like a white broad with a tan come on now.

Date Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 10:35am
Lol!

Print Page | Close Window