Forum Name: Weaves / Extensions
Forum Description: Discussions on Weaves
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368839
Printed Date: Nov 18 2017 at 6:34am

Topic: PICS GIRLS HAIR GROWS MOLD AFTER TAKING OUT WEAVE
Posted By: ExotiqBeautii
Subject: PICS GIRLS HAIR GROWS MOLD AFTER TAKING OUT WEAVE
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 12:09pm
This is just plain old nasty and trifling! Who would leave their weave in for this long?! Read this:

A Woman’s Weave Grows Mold After 6 Months 

http://www.hypehair.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/weave-mold-hypehair.png" rel="nofollow">Weave mold

Hairstylist Robin ( http://instagram.com/p/kzi_VdgJa5/" rel="nofollow - @prettyma216 ) recently shared a photo of a sew-in weave that grew mold after being installed for six months. According to the caption, the stylist suggests not to rock a weave longer than 60 days.

“Ladies! DO NOT wear your weave for longer than 2 months and when you shampoo it, make sure it gets COMPLETELY DRY or this could be you!”

Her final result? The unidentified woman has to get all her hair cut off! Let this pic be a reminder to take care of your weave and hair properly at all times.

< ="UTF-8" ="chrome://hdv//hdv.js" ="application/">

Replies:
Posted By: LaurenNicole
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 12:43pm
I saw that. That's why I sit up under the dryer all day just to be sure lol

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 12:47pm
That's not mold. Its just dirt and dried grease.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 12:54pm
lawddddddddddddddddddddDead

Posted By: shellbee823
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 12:57pm
It looked horribly disgusting but not unsalvageable. It seems like most of that gunk could have came out with out having to be cut off.

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 1:11pm
I've left an install in 5-6 months and I had absolutely zero issues.

Will likely  do it again. *shrugs*

I don't squirt shampoo/conditioner/oils, etc into my braided base. I used to when I 1st started wearing weaves and my base got so icky.

IMO, THAT's what causes all that gross stuff to cake up.

My quickest and easiest take down was the 5 month one.

Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 1:12pm
And of course the stylist is going to suggest getting a new install every 60 days.
ch-ching! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted By: iBetYouhNvNika
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 1:17pm

Yuck. What the heck was she using in her hair ????

Posted By: katakana89
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 1:19pm
Yuck....it just looks like one big matt of horribly built up dirt, shed hairs, and dead skin cells. It looks like it may have been salvageable, but not an easy task. 

I wonder if the stylist truly thought it was mold based on the horrible smell, or just didn't want to deal with trying to save the hair. Wouldn't mold be on the scalp too? Maybe mold was beneath the gunk somewhere.

I can't wear anything longer than 6 weeks...no idea how she managed to get away with half a year.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 1:22pm
She left it in and didn't cleanse it for 6 months.....3 months is my limit because any more than that and it will cause matting. I also rinse with ACV to neutralize and cleanse the scalp......and i always air dry....

Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 1:23pm
That is beyond disgusting..Did she even wash it??
There's a lot more to this story than just leaving a weave in too long.

Posted By: rebelle .
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

I've left an install in 5-6 months and I had absolutely zero issues.

Will likely  do it again. *shrugs*

I don't squirt shampoo/conditioner/oils, etc into my braided base. I used to when I 1st started wearing weaves and my base got so icky.

IMO, THAT's what causes all that gross stuff to cake up.

My quickest and easiest take down was the 5 month one.

Girl, preach.

I was going to say... I leave my installs in for six months... I didn't know that was unheard of. 

Posted By: miamiu27
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 2:04pm
Like someone said that is just build up and matt. I leave mine in 3 or longer. Since I self install I may change it up more.

What type of install did she have that she did not notice the dang on build up. That is pure nastiness.

My co-worker left hers in for 7 months. I had to go over there and detangle her hair. It was just dirt, lint, product build up and her son's pacifier.

Posted By: newbee27
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 2:18pm
lol a pacifier???? girl what lol

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 2:40pm
Her poor BF, if she maintains her head that everyone can see like that, I can't even imagine whats going on in her nether regions.DeadCry

Posted By: FirstLady_CoCo
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 3:14pm
Lmbo that ain't mold!

We then all had a nasty friend or client where you had to deal with that.  She better stop trying to finesse people with that 60 day foolishness.

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 3:35pm
Pacifier?? Lol

But um yeah I always air dry but make sure it's dry within THAT day, sleep only if it's a little damp and wrap it up. 
I know some people who get their first sew in are really anal and make sure they blow dry all the way
I've never had this happen, just build up. I do get nervous though since I've heard this could happen but I've NEVER seen or head someone actually get mildew or mold from a sew in. I've only heard it was a possibility.
Crazy this went viral and it just looks like a bunch of build up... 

Posted By: harley_quinn
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 3:53pm
That is just gross.

Posted By: iChinaaBanks
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Exactly.

Posted By: StylingArabella
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 4:19pm
Sad! While it does resemble a build up of dandruff, dirt, and old grease it looks very much like mildew too. You know the aroma of mildew immediately. I have had clients with net weaves that come in after 5 months (not installed or maintained by me) that have that funky build up, but it is not mildew. Then their are clients that have mildew, it is something that you have to see, smell, and feel with the naked eye to know the difference. You would be surprised at the amount of people who have mildew in their locs Unhappy.

Posted By: SassyVictim
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 4:45pm
Did they CUT her hair because of built-up dirt? All she had to do was detangle. 

Posted By: iBetYouhNvNika
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by SassyVictim SassyVictim wrote:

Did they CUT her hair because of built-up dirt? All she had to do was detangle. 

This, I mean damn even if it was mildew mold or w.e the heck . Couldnt they have detangled her hair ?

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 6:34pm
Wtf.. I know she smelled that nastiness better yet...does she have a man cuz i know he smelled that funky scalp when sleep. That is from not washing your hair at all during 6 mths b cuz my friend who is natural just removed her sew in after 5 mths and her 4c hair was fine and she does weekly washes and air dries. I dont understand how that stylist did not wear gloves and a mask...lol

Posted By: justmeash
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 6:39pm
well i read on her instagram that it would have been very dangerous for her to wash it and have that mold around other people..

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 7:55pm
That hair stylist aint sh*t. She could've sprayed that hair down and used some dominican silicone to denman that hair back to shape. But 1st I would've asked the client how much money they left the house with cos I ain't doing all that daggone work for you to have the exact amount I charge for an install with an extra $5 bill for the tip. The girl looks like a student so I will be happy to just use my freshly sharpened shears I bought from the hair show to cut that shyyyyt out. 

Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 8:45pm
It does look super gross..
Like a scab..

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 9:28pm
The client nasty but the stylist is nastier for touching that mess. 

Wonders if she cut, washed and braided her right on upConfused

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

agreed

Posted By: miamiu27
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:49am
The pacifier was a joke, that is how bad her hair was. Anything could have gotten in there and she wouldn't have known. LOL, her husband was so grateful guess he didn't want her to have to cut off all her hair like the beautician she went to stated.

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:05am
I wouldn't have just sat there and let this girl hack my hair off without least TRYING to wash and salvage it.

And I don't know what ole girl had going on with her head. I kept one sew-in 4 months and another for 5 1/2, and nothing anywhere near this mess happened.

Posted By: marie67
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:03am
damn, this happens when the hair doesn't dry properly under the weave. can't soak braids to death and think that 8-10oz of weave ontop of that will ever get the hair completely dry unless you sit under a dryer which most people don't do.

Posted By: myhairzmybiz
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:36am
That's not mold... That's dirt and hair grease

Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:51am
Moisture is the base for mold, so it's possible that it is mold.

The thing is, her leaving her weave in for 6 months isn't the only factor for that mess, it's her caking in products and improper washing, or NOT washing,  that are the most important factors.

But, the hairdresser trying to make folks think that this will happen simply from leaving a weave in 6 months, so you MUST get a fresh install every 2 months is an exagerration to fill her pockets.

Posted By: SinCityKitty
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 11:44am
Regardless if its mold or not its still nasty. I couldn't imagine being told I have mold in my hair and it needs to be all cut...poor child. 

But...I'm sorry, I will NEVER leave my sew-in for longer than two months at a time. The scalp needs to be thoroughly cleansed after 2-3 months. I do not feel comfortable walking around with a head smelling like yesterday.  Besides a dirty scalp will stunt your hair growth because it is clogged with dirt, sweat, dandruff,etc. Plus its just gross...lol seriously though... imagine if you didnt wash any other part of your body for 5-6 months. 

Posted By: SinCityKitty
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 11:47am
DAMN IT! I suddenly now have the urge to wash my hair after looking at those pics. They make me itch lol. 

Posted By: kandyse1988
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 12:12pm
That has to be dirt and grease... because if that is mold I am not touching the hair with my bare finger.. Gloves would have to be a must got to practice my OSHA... I have had installs for three to four months and I think even five I never had that problem.. Most people usually have that problem when they do not take care of their hair underneath, and just use grease and all that other stuff on their scalp and it cakes up along with the dirt.

Posted By: Sephoraaa
Date Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:27pm
I usually leave my installs in for 2-3 months and I wash my weave almost weekly. I don't sit under the dryer all day either. If I have the time/patience, I air dry; if not, I blow dry. I know this is like one of the ultimate weave sins, but I've even went to sleep after showering/washing my hair a couple times. Shocked (I would braid it up so it wouldn't get tangled and so I'd get pretty waves.) Nothing like this has ever happened to me...no mildew, no mold, no weird smells.

Posted By: MinnieMe
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 3:33pm
Ive done installs for 5 months=0 mold. I am on another install I am 5 1/2 in and there is no mold. I am taking it down at the 7 month mark. I can guarantee there will be no mold. This lady is fibbing. I saw a post of a girl who left her install up for a year, and her hair was matted so bad it had to be shaved---That I believe--This junk? Geek Nah shawty try again...

Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 3:34pm
yuk

Posted By: spencer4hire
Date Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 5:10pm
Wow. .... 5-7 month installs. 3 months is my max

But yeah. ... Looks like dirt and product buildup.

Posted By: CallMeLaLa
Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 10:36pm
I can't tell what that is. Ugh, did she wash her weave or the hair at all?
I feel for both the beautician and the client.

As the beautician, I mean, how many washes would that take?  How much are you going to pay me? I feel like the normal shampoo is twice, three times after a chemical. This disaster would take at least 8. She needs at least 1 16oz bottle of shampoo enthusiastically worked through that hay fire. And then I have to bleach my shampoo bowl down when I'm done with you. You need to come on a day when I don't have other clients.

As the client, I don't want the bulk of my hair being cut out, that has to suck.

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 11:41pm
I feel sorry for the stylist.

I don't care if its mold mildew or just plain stank hygiene..
I would have refused to service that mess. I would have cut it off too.

Gross.

Posted By: Davion123
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:23am
It is so crazy.She never wash her hair.Wacko

Posted By: trinastresses
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 2:50am
That is nasty!!!! I believe that is mould. 6 months and I bet she wet the weave alot and used alot of sprays grease and the rest. But in all that time never thought to use shampoo. This woman needs gloves and some sort of household disinfectant to do this weave. Not to mention mould spreads so her scalp could have been riddled too

NASTY!!!!!!

I HOPE THIS WOMAN DONT HAVE CHILDREN

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 7:34am
But it's not the shampoo or that she did not wash it.

She probably did at least wet it but probably washded it too .. that's the problem.

Mold grows in dark, wet places including under weave/wigs. She probably did not dry it enough and thought it would air dry .. but it never did and a week later she did it again so it grew spores and MOLD just like in the basement of your dark, flooded basement.

They will have to shave her bald get all the spores out and then she will have to start fresh and grow it all back again. :(

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 7:37am
To me, it looks like her scalp wasn't 100% healthy (free from scalp fungus and what not) before she got a sew-in.  There are previous posters wearing sew ins for an extended period of time with little to no adverse affects.  To me it sounds like they have a healthy scalp, good water pressure, and good hair maintenance regimen set up.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 7:39am
Originally posted by CallMeLaLa CallMeLaLa wrote:

I can't tell what that is. Ugh, did she wash her weave or the hair at all?
I feel for both the beautician and the client.

As the beautician, I mean, how many washes would that take?  How much are you going to pay me? I feel like the normal shampoo is twice, three times after a chemical. This disaster would take at least 8. She needs at least 1 16oz bottle of shampoo enthusiastically worked through that hay fire. And then I have to bleach my shampoo bowl down when I'm done with you. You need to come on a day when I don't have other clients.

As the client, I don't want the bulk of my hair being cut out, that has to suck.

I think she (the client) would need the prescription strength NIzoral (the 2% not the 1%) and needs to use it after the take down for at least 2 months, once a week to clear up.

Posted By: MinnieMe
Date Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by spencer4hire spencer4hire wrote:

Wow. .... 5-7 month installs. 3 months is my max

But yeah. ... Looks like dirt and product buildup.

Yes, it is something new I tried 2 years ago while in Nursing School. I noticed I had more growth from my hair breaking less (and less splits from the friction)---so I stretch. I understand that I am unique, and not very many can stretch for that long...It works great for my hair! 

Posted By: ExotiqBeautii
Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 2:01pm
I honestly think it's mold. Leave hair wet long enough constantly and you can get mold, just like any other consantly wet, damp place. This person that has dreads wrote this in a blog once, so it does happen to people:

Many dreadies, who have had them long enuff to have nice thick, long dreads, often have complaints when swimming, or caught in the rain, or just showered, that their dreads stink! That stink is a sign my fellow dreadies, that your dreads are growing mold. Yep, mold. Nasty spores that will grow and spread and it is not too good for your health, or your lovers health on the pillow next to you, well you get the point.

Read more: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/getting-rid-of-mold-in-your-dreadies#ixzz2vJDbujep" rel="nofollow - Getting Rid of Mold in Your Dreadies. - dreadlocks forums http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/getting-rid-of-mold-in-your-dreadies#ixzz2vJDbujep" rel="nofollow - http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/getting-rid-of-mold-in-your-dreadies#ixzz2vJDbujep
the best place for real dreadlocks
Under Creative Commons License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0" rel="nofollow - Attribution
< ="UTF-8" ="chrome://hdv//hdv.js" ="application/">

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 3:02am
She's a sh**y stylist.  

That hair was salvageable. If it was really mildew, there would be no mistaking it. Mildew has a very distinct smell (think clothes when you forget to take them out the drier and they are still a little damp). 

This happened to my mom's hair after she was hospitalized for a long time after her stroke. I guarantee you that she wasn't washing her hair just applying product, this along with new growth, and previously unwashed hair resulted in the image above. 

I have a very hard time believing thatin 6 months of her wearing this weave, her scalp and braids never got dry. Unless this woman wore a tight hair cap everyday. Most of need moisture after taking down a weave, so you mean to tell me that her hair retained moisture this long thus causing mildew? Or nah.

An ACV soak, deep shampoo and good conditioner would have gotten rid of this. 

Tea tree would have helped her scalp. The ACV would have clarified that mess on her scalp and good ole' bleach water would have sterilized her sink and scissors. 

Not buying that she just "had" to cut that much hair out. If you cn'at do me right or you dont fill comfortable with something, let me know as the client so I can hop my ass out of your chair and fix it myself. 

Posted By: TeamUSAF
Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 10:25pm
Ewwe

Print Page | Close Window