Print Page | Close Window

The Same or Different?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368683
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 8:53pm

Topic: The Same or Different?
Posted By: tatee
Subject: The Same or Different?
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:06pm
in both scenarios the choices are 1) do nothing 2) act

i dont really want to know which is the correct choice (of course you can) but rather are these two cases the same or different?

1. There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. Unfortunately, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You do not have the ability to operate the lever in a way that would cause the trolley to derail without loss of life (for example, holding the lever in an intermediate position so that the trolley goes between the two sets of tracks, or pulling the lever after the front wheels pass the switch, but before the rear wheels do).

2. A brilliant transplant surgeon has five patients, each in need of a different organ, each of whom will die without that organ. Unfortunately, there are no organs available to perform any of these five transplant operations. A healthy young traveler, just passing through the city the doctor works in, comes in for a routine checkup. In the course of doing the checkup, the doctor discovers that his organs are compatible with all five of his dying patients. Suppose further that if the young man were to disappear, no one would suspect the doctor.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2108017?uid=3739808&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21103551972493" rel="nofollow - http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2108017?uid=3739808&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21103551972493

Replies:
Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:09pm
How many of the five people in each scenario are black?
This is very important. 
Cause if everybody is white I'mma just pretend like I ain't see sh*t. 

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:11pm
you didnt read the question did you?

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:12pm
I would not do anything for the first one. I know logic would say let one person die vs. five, but if I pull the lever, I'd be a murderer who chose to kill whereas if I do nothing, I'm a helpless bystander.

In scenario 2, I would act to make sure the doctor was arrested if he killed that young man. 

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:12pm
They're different. 
One someone is going to die regardless.
The second is you killing someone. 

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:13pm
Oh and the cases are different. 

Not really sure what the second was asking. Should we act as in reporting the doctor or are we supposed to be the doctor? But I still view them as different. Case 1 is a complete tragedy whereas Case 2 is vindictive.

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

They're different. 
One someone is going to die regardless.
The second is you killing someone. 

in both cases someone will die

Posted By: GoldieLocks
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:23pm
I believe the same, because in both situations you're given the capability to choose who lives.

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Oh and the cases are different. 

Not really sure what the second was asking. Should we act as in reporting the doctor or are we supposed to be the doctor? But I still view them as different. Case 1 is a complete tragedy whereas Case 2 is vindictive.

no, act as in taking one life to save 5

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

How many of the five people in each scenario are black?
This is very important. 
Cause if everybody is white I'mma just pretend like I ain't see sh*t. 

damn all of youLOL  if it makes it easier to answer all people involved are black...smh

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:27pm
the same.
You have the power to save several lives.
but also different.
one scenario calls for you to either intervene in an already unfortunate situation, the other to prevent an unfortunate situation in which an unsuspecting individual will be hurt

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:29pm
i'd switch the lever in the first
id snitch in the second

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:30pm
Different.

One is an impending horrific accident. No choice in the matter at hand. Just a matter of making a choice.

The other case isn't an accident...it would be a decision. 

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by SeducTress SeducTress wrote:

Different.

One is an impending horrific accident. No choice in the matter at hand. Just a matter of making a choice.

someone made the decision to tie those people to the tracks, they arent stuck by happenstance

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

id snitch in the second

not a choice

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:32pm
fck idk...as i typed out my response, i kept thinking about how the situations mirror each other in a way...but then the knowns and the unknows play a huge roll as well in how you choose to look at it...

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:34pm

fck idk...as i typed out my response, i kept thinking about how the situations mirror each other in a way...but then the knowns and the unknows play a huge roll as well in how you choose to look at it...

LOL this was bugging me for an hour before i even posted.  i think i know what bugs me about it but i just want to see other people views on it.

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

id snitch in the second

not a choice

i dont understand...so i know but cant say anything or is it just a story?

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:37pm
the same… but different
You have to kill 1 person to save 5 people.

•It would be easier to let nature kill off the people who have malfunctioning organs.. (just comparing the 2 scenarios)
...before killing off 5 people who were tied up.. (assuming they weren't trying to commit suicide) by some mask bandit.

•Secondly, why in scenario 1 is some random person just "hanging out" on the tracks? Maybe he can get out in time since he's not tied up.

•If the doctor can figure out how to snatch up someones Organs without getting caught… Its all good and moral in the beginning (to him) until he figures out how to make a profit off of it.
Plus, it would be premeditated murder. 

• The train technician can at least say that the random person on track 2 was the one who tied up all the 5 people on track 1 some how.

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:37pm

id snitch in the second

not a choice

i dont understand...so i know but cant say anything or is it just a story?

you dont know unless in this story you are the doctor.

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

the same… but different
You have to kill 1 person to save 5 people.

•It would be easier to let nature kill off the people who have malfunctioning organs.. (just comparing the 2 scenarios)
...before killing off 5 people who were tied up.. (assuming they weren't trying to commit suicide) by some mask bandit.

•Secondly, why in scenario 1 is some random person just "hanging out" on the tracks? Maybe he can get out in time since he's not tied up.

•If the doctor can figure out how to snatch up someones Organs without getting caught… Its all good and moral in the beginning (to him) until he figures out how to make a profit off of it.
Plus, it would be premeditated murder. 

• The train technician can at least say that the random person on track 2 was the one who tied up all the 5 people on track 1 some how.

yes! all of this

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by SeducTress SeducTress wrote:

Different.

someone made the decision to tie those people to the tracks, they arent stuck by happenstance

I still think it's different because the "hero's" point of view is different

One is circumstantial. Minding his/her business, then notices the clusterfucc.

The other so called hero is a low key murderer. 

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 5:29pm
I wouldn't do anything. Que sera sera.

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

did you see the scenarios as being the same or different?

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 5:56pm
I don't have a god complex. none of this would be on me so I would catch a cab and seek a new medical group.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 6:16pm

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

did you see the scenarios as being the same or different?

They are different. You would have to decide pretty quickly whether you are going to derail the train or not.  Plus the conductor isn't using the person off to the side to save the other people and I'm sure he would rather no one have been standing there.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 8:32am
in both scenarios if you do nothing 5 people die.  its only when someone steps in that the number of people who die changes.  the difference that i see between the two is who is making the decision.  in the first scenario the reader is making the decision, in the second its an unknown doctor.  i think because the second scenario allows the reader to cast blame on someone else it looks like that is the worst of the two scenarios.

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 10:06am
Same, do nothing!

Print Page | Close Window