Forum Description: General Discussions on Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368584
Printed Date: Jun 22 2018 at 12:44pm

Topic: HELP PLEASE!!!!
Posted By: I Love Greece
Subject: HELP PLEASE!!!!
Date Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:02pm
Hi

I have a young African foster daughter with afro hair.  I've no experience of afro hair so any advice would really be appreciated.

Someone has mentioned to me that I should put oil on it every night (Argan Oil and Olive Oil has been mentioned).  Is this right?  As we have been told not to wash her hair every night, do we just massage it into dry hair.  Should she then sleep with her hair wrapped?  Do I then need to wash it off in the morning or do you leave it in?

Any other tips would really help.

Sorry, I'm so ignorant, but I want to get it right.

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: sbj1104
Date Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 3:10pm
Leave it in.  You'll get a rhythm for what works and what doesn't in her hair.  Old school used to grease the scalp, comb through and then style using braids, plaits, leaving it in a 'fro', bushballs, or other.  New school realizes that anything with mineral oil or petrolatum does not allow the scalp to breath, so new school uses all natural hair 'grease' or oils to lubricate the scalp and hair.  This is done because afro hair texture does not allow moisture and the natural oils from the scalp to coat the hair as easily as straighter hairs do, so we enlist the aid of natural oils.  This is why we don't rinse them out.  They help lock in the moisture and coat the stands.  Brushes are BIG no no's.  They tear our hair.  Use the tangle teaser as a brush and a big fro comb that won't tear the hair.
http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-Salon-Elite-Purple/dp/B003GDK6F2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392757628&sr=8-3&keywords=tangle+teaser" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-Salon-Elite-Purple/dp/B003GDK6F2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392757628&sr=8-3&keywords=tangle+teaser

http://www.amazon.com/ANNIE-Rake-Comb-Model-23/dp/B001MYN3QG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392757686&sr=8-1&keywords=rake+comb" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/ANNIE-Rake-Comb-Model-23/dp/B001MYN3QG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392757686&sr=8-1&keywords=rake+comb

Go lighly when you oil, you don't want a grease ball on your hands.  I'd say washing every 1 or 2 weeks is enough.  In my household, we co-wash each week, which is washing hair with conditioner.  It doesn't have to be WEN, it can be ANY conditioner you like.  You can use shampoo maybe once or twice a month to keep from stripping the hair.

To keep the hair ends from drying out, I recommend acidifying the hair once or twice per month using Roux 233 Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner.
http://www.amazon.com/Roux-Porosity-Control-Corrector-Conditioner/dp/B003JMWFK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392757818&sr=8-1&keywords=roux+porosity" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Roux-Porosity-Control-Corrector-Conditioner/dp/B003JMWFK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392757818&sr=8-1&keywords=roux+porosity

When you cover the hair at night it should be with a silk or satin scarf.  Or you can do it the easy way by only using satin pillow cases.  The keep the oil and moisture from being sucked out of the hair and help cut damage WAY DOWN!

I visit the forum only once in a blue moon so I hope what I posted helps you in some way, just in case I don't log back in for a while.  The other sista's who frequent will probably chime in with more indepth advice.

Posted By: sbj1104
Date Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 3:17pm

oh, and I forgot to mention shea butter.  It's great on our hair.  I prefer to mix it with natural oils to a nice whipped consistency.  I NEVER heat, microwave or melt my oils or shea butter.  It only takes 5 minutes with a metal fork to mash and whip shea butter by hand.  Once whipped, I add in natural oils and continue whipping until I reach the desired consistency.  Here are a few to consider:

http://www.natural-remedies-for-skin-care.com/carrier-oils.html

Date Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 6:24am
Thanks SO much.  That's a really great help!

x

Posted By: trinastresses
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 4:59am
http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/?m=1

This is a really good site. A great place to start for a young black girl xx

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 7:35am
Hi

That's a really good site.  Thank you!

Posted By: trinastresses
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 11:22am
I love that site, I came across it by chance :)

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 11:24am
I've posted a link to it on my foster carer's facebook page, as there have been other foster carers who haven't had experience of Afro hair.  Thanks again!

Posted By: LadyAradia
Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 11:43am

1)Hello Hydration Conditioner 
Learn how to use it INSTEAD of a shampoo (This is called CONDITIONER ONLY Washing or CO Washing. This is like DIY Wen cleansing product)

Learning to do this is VITAL for AA hair as regular shampoos strip all the few natural oils we have, dry it out and make it break off like your daughter's is doing
2) ApHogee two minute conditioner
This is a mild protein conditioner and will help with breakage.
3) Some conditioner caps (look like shower caps) you may sleep w/ these on when your hair is suffering from dryness.

4) Satin bonnets or satin scarves. Cover the hair with these at night to protect the hair from harsh drying cotton fibers which wick out moisture and cause dryness and breakage
5) Sulphur oil to apply to scalp at night to promote growth.
6) A moisture leave in  to moisturize the hairs at night

A good daily moisture spray mist could include: water, Vegetable glycerine, and a natural oil (possibly aloe vera juice). Maybe rosemary and/or peppermint essential oils which are good for hair growth.
7)Natural oils like Extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil to apply to hair daily before bed. Use this to seal in the moisture each night.
8) Maxi Hair Vitamins
There are a lot of helpful hairlistas with youtube channels like the ones above. have your daughter to subscribe to some of these ladies who have hair like hers and LEARN. 

Date Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 11:56am
Brilliant.  Thank you!

Posted By: littlebabybug
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 6:05pm
i think the biggest thing about Afro hair is learning how to detangle it and then how to style it so that it can grow in peace free of manipulation. to me those are the two biggest things. so if she's like under the age of 13 i recommend styling her hair in braids/cornrows/small twists so that you can leave the hair alone for 2-3 wks at a time, moisturizing it where needed. Detangling is usually where people go horribly wrong when it comes to caring for afro hair, in my experience. The biggest tips i have for that are:
patience- it takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to detangle all of my son's 4-5 inches of 4c hair. his hair is very tightly coiled, and tends to resemble a cloud. if you're taking your time to make sure you don't break their hair, and that you're not being rough on their scalp, it'll pay off in the long run with thick and long hair to show for it. 
gentleness- there's no such thing as being too tender-headed. that's a stupid phrase that's thrown around a lot in our community by the ignorant. if the child's hair hurts when you're doing their hair, it's because your technique is wrong and you're probly tugging on knots where you should take the time to carefully undo them using your fingers or an appropriate utensil. 
understanding- understanding that if your curls or looser, or if you have silky naturally straight or wavy hair, that their hair needs are going to differ from yours. and most likely the technique(s) you use for your hair won't be the same one's you'll need for doing theirs. don't expect their hair to conform to the straight hair standard
technique and sectioning- learn how to carefully remove knots from their hair so that you're not breaking the hair off, implicating otherwise healthy hair strands, and that you're not creating a haven for split ends. it's best to work with the hair in very small sections. they don't have to be neat. but all you do is get enough hair to fit into about the circumference of say, a silver dollar, and with that section you wanna spray the hair lightly with water. maybe 2 or 3 squirts on the section  you're working with. then you wanna take a moisturizer or detangling product or just plain old conditioner or just plain ol' oil (the options are limitless but the point is you want something that'll smooth the hair and make it easy for knots/tangles to slide on out without too much friction!) and put enough of it on the hair to lubricate it. then  you finger detangle your way through their hair gently, merely by separating the strands one from another, feeling out where the clumps or tangles are and focusing on those areas until the tangles are localized to where you want or they're gone altogether. some people can get by on finger detanling alone without having to use a comb/brush but others prefer to follow up with a comb. on my son's hair i do follow up with a bristle brush or a midsized comb, starting from the ends and gently combing in downward motions on up the section until i'm able to comb seamlessly from roots to ends- which should be easy and quick to do if you're properly made use of your fingers to work out the problem spots. 

i recommend looking up many videos on youtube and posts on blogs to see how to properly finger detangle hair. i've been thinking about making a video of how i do my son's hair, because a lot of poeple don't know how to correctly do it so that the hair remains preserved and healthy and unbroken. :) 

as to the hair wrapping, you didn't say whether or not she has a relaxer, but generally with natural hair you don't need to wrap the hair in a literal sense. if you're asking whether she needs to sleep with a cap on her head, i personally don't think it's necessary (i sleep on my hair loose, in fact) but a lot of naturals will cover their hair at night. if she's relaxed, i recommend either wrapping it traditionally around her head OR plaiting her hair into several braids and then undoing them in the morning for a braidout. wrapping it will help keep it bone, silky straight :) 
i don't think it's necessary to oil it every day as it may make her hair greasy. or if you do oil daily please use only a little bit. too much product makes my hair cling together and coarse, which makes it break, which is why i wash my hair fairly often. so i think the less product the better, or light products are best. but it will depend on her hair, as some poeple's hair does depend on heavier or more frequent products or application. generally washing black hair every day isn't a good idea, but it depends on the hair, because if she has hair that easily forms clumps or curl units, you might be able to wash it daily (but even then, it's optional. not necessary) black hair tends to thrive when it is washed less frequently. if you apply product to her hair, you don't need to wash it out right away. you should be able to go about a week before actually needing to wash the hair, perhaps longer, even. 
good luck! it'll take trial and error and time, but it'll come through for you with enough practice and dedication and love Wink

Posted By: NaturallyLovinZena
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 7:12pm
1) embrace her hair is not kinky just undefined curls that is more fragile
2) wash her hair once every 2 weeks with sulgate free shampoo for moisture
3) invest in a good moisture conditioner an deep conditioner
4) detangle starting from bottom to top
5) get a leave in conditioner an moisturizer layer it in her hair wile damp an use olive oil n organic coconut oil to seal it in
6) plait or twist your lil darlings hair gentle not to rough because our hair breaks n snaps easily
7) invest in a satin bonnet or pillow case

Posted By: NaturallyLovinZena
Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 7:16pm
For your darling lil hair walmart has both bonnet is 2.92 cent n pilloecase 7.97 once u put it on her let her sleep her hair should be dryor a lil damp its ok but dont touch het hair again unless it is to ligjtly mist it with it water and put oil on it througj out the week
African hair needs to be in Rest

Print Page | Close Window