Print Page | Close Window

how often do you pray?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368509
Printed Date: Oct 20 2018 at 3:00pm

Topic: how often do you pray?
Posted By: Josephuss
Subject: how often do you pray?
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 4:27pm
I pray before meals and trying to get in the habit of  praying every night

Replies:
Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 4:55pm
You're still here?

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 5:00pm
I say little prayers all throughout the day and at night. Trying to get into praying when I wake up.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 5:25pm
A few times a day.

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 5:38pm
1-3 times a day.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 5:58pm
Joseph dedicated his life to Jehovah.

But for me no. I meditate though.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 6:01pm
When I'm not feeling at my best, unfortunately. I think about God all the time though.

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 6:13pm
This is the first time I can say that I am proud of Joe SunThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up Keep praying, bruh! Good thread! 

Oh, and to answer you question, not often enoughCry

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 6:18pm
Yes this is one of those threads that make you stop and think.

Posted By: ragincajin
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 6:26pm
I'm black. I live in America. I am surround by sharks all day long.
How often do I pray? Every damned day. And the blessed ones too.

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 6:47pm
never. 

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

I say little prayers all throughout the day and at night. Trying to get into praying when I wake up.

have always done that in your life?
do you do little prayers throughout the day to feel closer to God?

Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 6:49pm
Back when I believed in the bible (now I only believe some parts) I read Proverb 119:164, which says that Solomon, I think, prayed 7x daily, so I incorporated that into my life. It felt good!

Eventually I stopped. I pray when I wake up and before going to bed. It is nice, but I don't think it is as powerful.

Posted By: rebelle .
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 6:49pm
Every night before I go to bed. 

The nights I have terrible nightmares are usually the nights I forget to pray. 

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 7:16pm
Constantly, more at work though...

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 7:21pm
Errday. 

eta: I pray 5x/day because I'm Muslim and then I also say short prayers throughout the day (for waking up, going to sleep, before/after driving, before/after eating, etc.)

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 7:26pm
2-3 times a day.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 9:32pm
About 5x daily. It could be more though.

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 11:27pm
All through out the day I pray for strength to do so many things and for strength not to do even more.
I pray at home, on the job, in my car, before meals, I pray for random people I see and anytime I feel a need too pray.
Seems like the more I pray the more I want to pray.

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 1:49am
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

have always done that in your life?
do you do little prayers throughout the day to feel closer to God?

Have I always prayed throughout my day? Yes.
I pray for protection, strength, over my food (not as much as I used to though), etc throughout the day.

Do I do it to feel closer to God? Not necessarily, I just speak to God throughout the day because I feel it keeps me less vulnerable to evil if I'm in constant communication with God.

Also, because I am a control freak it makes me feel better if I can hand over everything I cannot control to my God, e.g family protection and healing.

Honestly, prayer to me isn't always about answers...sometimes it's just for comfort.

Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 8:53pm

[

Do I do it to feel closer to God? Not necessarily, I just speak to God throughout the day because I feel it keeps me less vulnerable to evil if I'm in constant communication with God.

Thumbs Up

Posted By: nemesis1
Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 8:59pm
I have been slacking, so not often. I am trying to get into the habit and read my Bible more too.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by ragincajin ragincajin wrote:

I'm black. I live in America. I am surround by sharks all day long.
How often do I pray? Every damned day. And the blessed ones too.

Yup! Clap

To answer the question: Often.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 9:44pm
I try to pray in the morning and at night

But I'm always asking for direction, wisdom, clarity, help etc for me, family, friends, strangers, giving thanks 

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 9:49pm
i dont pray… 
i was just mentioning that i hate when ppl tell me to pray. 
but thats more so during an argument… ive really considered it at times… and i feel like having faith in a higher being might help… but im never consistent so i feel phony about it. 

Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 9:59pm
it's all done in your own head coco

You can feel anyway you want about it

I don't think you have to worry about being consistent or phony but that's just my opinion

Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 10:04pm
i be feeling like its not real if i only pray when im going through hard times… 

like god will know… 

i feel like you should be consistent. 
i will get into this heaven if i only pray randomly/sometimes? 
he knows… 

Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 10:07pm
not talking to you coco, but sincerely in general 

But I find an hour or two of being completely media free and quiet ... and asking a question or presenting an issue and silently waiting for an answer/clarity very helpful in helping me sort things out

We're so bombarded with other's agendas/opinions/data it's hard to tell what we really think about something and it takes a while to declutter the mental chatter 

It's hard to find the time though and it's hard the first few minutes because we're so busy for busy sake

Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 10:08pm
Yeah he knows and he's ok with it

Eta: I'm not telling you to pray! LOL just saying if you want to, just do it you don't have to worry so much about the details. In my personal opinion I really don't think God minds 

Posted By: KittenWhip
Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 10:16pm
I pray several times a day.  I often have ongoing mental conversations with my Lord.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 11:00pm
Always

Especially when I speak to myself...It always a prayer because I am speaking to the I AM

Posted By: kerysdream7
Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 11:02pm
2 times a day with a couple gratitude quickies sprinkled in the mix. 

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

A few times a day.

Posted By: iluvmihair
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 4:40am
I pray throughout the day. 

I try to give thanks more than I ask for things (such as peace, direction, guidance, enough gas to last me until payday LOL) but I do both. I thank God for His goodness and mercy and I try to acknowledge Him in everything. 

I would like to incorporate more breakthrough prayer (that's what my church calls it) basically praying until you feel something break/release (in the Spirit). I usually only give myself enough time for this kind of prayer at church, not that it always has to take a long time. I was once told to try to do this once a day. I'd probably be a lot further or stronger spiritually if I put this into practice. 

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 8:23am
I don't pray anymore. I used to open the bible randomly and read a passage but then several months occurred when I would consistently fall on the harshest stories/judgments in the Bible (usually the Old Testament). And this was at a time when I was looking for guidance. Instead of feeling peaceful or enlightened, I'd end up feeling even worse. So I stopped. My aunt says it's the Devil's tactic to try and weaken believers. If that's the case, it's working.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 8:44am
mornings, before meals, before sleep.
...so couple times a day.
but not enough it seems.

jp sounds like you were supposed to learn a lesson from all of that...i guess.Smile *shrug*

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

jp sounds like you were supposed to learn a lesson from all of that...i guess.Smile *shrug*[/COLOR]

Such as? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 8:51am
Everyday

I try to be thankful and pray for other people more than asking for things myself

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 8:57am
I want to go back to praying but honestly I'm a little scared. It's like I'm being tested by dark forces every time when I do and I always end up losing that battle. I don't have the resources to be tested like that constantly. I still believe in God. I just don't know how to communicate with him and how to reach him (or most accurately, how he can reach me). I'm in a crisis of faith, I guess.

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 1:23pm
i pray when i wake up, before meals, when im about to go out in bad weather, when im scared, before bed. so at least 2x a day.
praying before bed is very helpful to me. I havent had a nightmare in years.

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I don't pray anymore. I used to open the bible randomly and read a passage but then several months occurred when I would consistently fall on the harshest stories/judgments in the Bible (usually the Old Testament). And this was at a time when I was looking for guidance. Instead of feeling peaceful or enlightened, I'd end up feeling even worse. So I stopped. My aunt says it's the Devil's tactic to try and weaken believers. If that's the case, it's working.

how about not doing it so randomly? Not every passage in the bible will automatically mean something good. Many passages as we all know are about god passing judgement on unfaithful ones. Without knowing the context of the chapter and just reading a random passage, you might feel worse. What i do is start at genesis and read a few verses a day. that way im following the story and i know why God passed that harsh judgement, instead of just reading the harsh judgement. That's like reading about how God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and killed all those people without reading the chapters before that explain how horrible the sodomites were, to the point that they were trying to rape even the angels.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by HaitianLuv HaitianLuv wrote:

how about not doing it so randomly? Not every passage in the bible will automatically mean something good. Many passages as we all know are about god passing judgement on unfaithful ones. Without knowing the context of the chapter and just reading a random passage, you might feel worse. What i do is start at genesis and read a few verses a day. that way im following the story and i know why God passed that harsh judgement, instead of just reading the harsh judgement.

So why did God sanction slavery where slaves could be passed down forever because they were property?

That's like reading about how God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and killed all those people without reading the chapters before that explain how horrible the sodomites were, to the point that they were trying to rape even the angels.

So how was Lot righteous when he offered up his daughters to be gangraped? It's better to rape women than to rape angels?

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 1:55pm
The OP wasn't should you pray or do you approve of prayer 

It was how often do you pray

Not sure how this turned into another one of those "religion" threads

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 1:56pm

how about not doing it so randomly? Not every passage in the bible will automatically mean something good. Many passages as we all know are about god passing judgement on unfaithful ones. Without knowing the context of the chapter and just reading a random passage, you might feel worse. What i do is start at genesis and read a few verses a day. that way im following the story and i know why God passed that harsh judgement, instead of just reading the harsh judgement. That's like reading about how God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and killed all those people without reading the chapters before that explain how horrible the sodomites were, to the point that they were trying to rape even the angels.

I guess it's because that's how I'd always done it before and I would always end up with comforting or wise words prior to the whole thing going left. This method had actually helped me through hard times before it stopped working. But I hear you. I won't do that anymore.

And honestly there are passages in the Bible (Old Testament especially) that I will never fully understand (like the story of Job, for ex.) or agree with (certain excerpts involving women) despite having read the full story. I'm not a Christian who thinks that the Bible needs to be taken that literally anyway. I understand that some parts are just narrative that keeps in line with the times in which it was written. But that's just my own take on it.

In any case, I will stop with the random passages and approach this differently.

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 2:00pm
When I was a Christian I didn't get much out of solo prayer so I didn't pray by myself often. Maybe before I ate something or before I made a major decision. I did however feel a lot of emotion during group prayer or when someone would pray for me. But I got the most out of praise and worship, like singing soft songs or meditating on certain scriptures. That was really the only times I felt like I was hearing from God. So I sort of replaced traditional prayer with that.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 2:29pm
I prefer meditation and focusing on my chakras and clearing my head up and I always feel much better than praying.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 2:33pm
In the morning, and whenever needed throughout the day...

Posted By: rohan
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 3:16pm
I don't close my eyes and ask for anything from anybody.

I wake up, watch a motivational video maybe, and get to working harder than anyone I know to achieve my goals.  Work hard, be urgent, shut out distractions, execute...Action Action Action!  I did this for one year, quit my job, and now I can sit back and do whatever I want in life.   Pray if you want, that's great, but if you develop a sick regiment of super urgent action every day, you'll get the things you currently pray for.  Example of one such video:

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 3:20pm
i love that first 2-3 sentences rohan  Clap

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

i love that first 2-3 sentences rohan  Clap

Thank you Coco! : -)

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 3:39pm
Rohan don't tell me you're on that Wake Up Now, sh*t.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by rohan rohan wrote:

I don't close my eyes and ask for anything from anybody.
I wake up, watch a motivational video maybe, and get to working harder than anyone I know to achieve my goals. Work hard, be urgent, shut out distractions, execute...Action Action Action! I did this for one year, quit my job, and now I can sit back and do whatever I want in life.   Pray if you want, that's great, but if you develop a sick regiment of super urgent action every day, you'll get the things you currently pray for. Example of one such video:

Well damn!

I need a cocktail after watching that. Then I'll start acting like a gun is being pointed at my face.

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Rohan don't tell me you're on that Wake Up Now, sh*t.

What's that bro? Off to google it, but nah... haha

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 4:39pm
I plan to watch Rohans video now that the game is over.

To answer the question 3-4xs a day.

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 5:00pm
stopped during high school when i finally realized i was talking to myself Dead

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 5:40pm

I don't pray anymore. I used to open the bible randomly and read a passage but then several months occurred when I would consistently fall on the harshest stories/judgments in the Bible (usually the Old Testament). And this was at a time when I was looking for guidance.

Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

jp sounds like you were supposed to learn a lesson from all of that...i guess.Smile *shrug*[/COLOR]

Such as? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I think you should have tried to understand the meaning of that passage, and then see how that fits in your life. For example, a lot of people think God abandoned the israelites because it took them 40 years to do something that should have taken them 11 days. But that was not God's fault, that was because all they did was to complain.

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

how about not doing it so randomly? Not every passage in the bible will automatically mean something good. Many passages as we all know are about god passing judgement on unfaithful ones. Without knowing the context of the chapter and just reading a random passage, you might feel worse. What i do is start at genesis and read a few verses a day. that way im following the story and i know why God passed that harsh judgement, instead of just reading the harsh judgement.

So why did God sanction slavery where slaves could be passed down forever because they were property?

That's like reading about how God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and killed all those people without reading the chapters before that explain how horrible the sodomites were, to the point that they were trying to rape even the angels.

So how was Lot righteous when he offered up his daughters to be gangraped? It's better to rape women than to rape angels?

i dont particularly want to get into a religious debate, because that rarely ends well. but as far as slavery in the bible- the slavery that Israelites engaged in was different from the more tryannical slavery that others did. God did not agree with humans mistreating each other. So much so that he set up laws that the israelites must follow if they were to  have a slave. These laws were designed to protect the slave from being harshly mistreated. these laws made the slaves be looked upon as a person that possessed certain undeniable rights. If you read the Exodus chapter 21 it chock full of laws that protect slaves. They were given the option to leave after 6 years, but stay if they wanted to. If they were physically injured by the master then they had to be set free, if the slaves are married then they both have to be set free at the appointed time and the slave master cannot touch the wife in anyway, if the master even knocks out the slaves tooth the slave must be let free (exodus 21:27), they had rest days which was about 1 day a week (exodus 23:12). you couldnt just sleep with any slave you wanted to, you first had to marry her and once you married her in front of god then she was no longer a slave and had to be treated equally as any other wife in Israel. and there were many more laws to protect them. Clearly this is vastly different from slavery other places engaged in. Like the african slave trade, they were treated as less than human, the master could tear apart husband and wife, rape the women any time, give no breaks, injure them all they wanted too, and the the slaves were there for life with no hope of being set free.

as for lot offering his daughters-According to the Oriental code, it was a host’s responsibility to protect the guests in his home, defending them even to the point of death if necessary. Lot was prepared to do that. He bravely went out to the mob, closed the door behind him, and faced them alone. By the time he offered his daughters, Lot likely realized that his guests were messengers from God, and he may have reasoned that God could protect his daughters as He had protected his aunt Sarah in Egypt. And as the matter turned out, Lot and his daughters were kept safe.

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 9:55pm

Originally posted by Random 
Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

words

response

i dont particularly want to get into a religious debate, because that rarely ends well. but as far as slavery in the bible- the slavery that Israelites engaged in was different from the more tryannical slavery that others did.

That's the apologetic view but it's not biblically supported. The slavery in the bible that was sanctioned by God was no better than any other form of slavery. Yes there was indentured servitude, but there was ALSO slavery where the slaves could be bought from other nations where the slaves could be passed down the generations forever.

Leviticus 25:44-46New International Version (NIV)

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

And there is also sanctioned sex slavery, where God commanded men to kill all men, women, and young boys, but keep the virgins for yourselves. So a young girl would watch her entire family and community be slaughtered and then be forced into a sexual relationship with her captors. All sanctioned by the God of the bible.

God did not agree with humans mistreating each other.

Not Biblically supported. God told humans to mistreat other humans all of the time, from killing disobedient children, to killing gays, to forcing rape victims to marry their rapist, to killing children still nursing from their mothers breast...the list goes on and on. Or maybe we have a different definition of mistreatment.

So much so that he set up laws that the israelites must follow if they were to  have a slave. These laws were designed to protect the slave from being harshly mistreated.

Why didn't God abolish slavery? He could have 600+ commandments for the Israelites to follow, including telling them that eating shellfish is an abomination, but couldn't be bothered to tell them not to own other humans as property?

these laws made the slaves be looked upon as a person that possessed certain undeniable rights. If you read the Exodus chapter 21 it chock full of laws that protect slaves.

Yeah, laws like a slave master is allowed to beat his slave, as long as the slave doesn't die in a day or two afterwards. So if he beats his slave within an inch of his life, but the slave survives, the slave master is within his rights. Sounds like a good set of laws that protects slaves.

20 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

They were given the option to leave after 6 years, but stay if they wanted to.

Tell the entire story. They were given the option to leave after a certain period but if the slave masters gave him a wife, then the wife and children had to STAY with the slave master forever because they were still property. If the slave wanted to stay with his wife and children THEN he gave up his rights to leave and would be forced to be a slave forever.

4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.

And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:

Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him forever.

If they were physically injured by the master then they had to be set free

Only certain injuries. You could physically beat your slaves as long as they didn't die in a day or two.

if the slaves are married then they both have to be set free at the appointed time

Only if he was married when he became a slave.

Clearly this is vastly different from slavery other places engaged in. Like the african slave trade, they were treated as less than human, the master could tear apart husband and wife, rape the women any time, give no breaks, injure them all they wanted too, and the the slaves were there for life with no hope of being set free.

No it's not any different. There were sanctioned physical beatings as well as ways to keep slaves FOREVER, passed down as inheritances. And that indentured servitude you are talking about, that deals with men. Women slaves were treated even worse.

Exodus 21:7English Standard Version (ESV)

“When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do

The question remains, why did an all-loving God sanction owning other humans as property and inheritances?

as for lot offering his daughters-According to the Oriental code, it was a host’s responsibility to protect the guests in his home, defending them even to the point of death if necessary. Lot was prepared to do that. He bravely went out to the mob, closed the door behind him, and faced them alone. By the time he offered his daughters, Lot likely realized that his guests were messengers from God, and he may have reasoned that God could protect his daughters as He had protected his aunt Sarah in Egypt. And as the matter turned out, Lot and his daughters were kept safe.

You still didn't explain how Lot was righteous for offering up his daughters to be gangraped. The men wanted to rape the angels and they were punished for being unrighteous. Lot offers his daughters to be raped and he is saved for being righteous.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

stopped during high school when i finally realized i was talking to myself Dead

lol, right.

Posted By: demilee27
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 11:17pm
Pretty much daily

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 11:51pm
I liked the video.

I instantly felt convicted about procrastinating.

Date Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 10:54am
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

I liked the video.

I instantly felt convicted about procrastinating.

Awesome! And good to hear. It's pretty in your face, but I like that sort of thing.

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 12:04pm
So...where can I find more videos like that? LOL

Date Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by JasmineE02 JasmineE02 wrote:

So...where can I find more videos like that? LOL

That same channel has a lot of good ones Jas.

Here's another dope one:

"Realize that there's nobody that is doing anything you can't do...and other people want to help!"

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 2:07pm
Yes. Several times a day . Thank you lord for my blessings .

Print Page | Close Window