Print Page | Close Window

Gabby Union Demands a Prenup

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368421
Printed Date: Nov 20 2017 at 7:17pm

Topic: Gabby Union Demands a Prenup
Posted By: PurplePhase
Subject: Gabby Union Demands a Prenup
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 11:44am
(@1:22)

Think Like A Man star Gabrielle Union is a forward-thinking woman of the future, as she explained on The Arsenio Hall Show on Monday night.

Gabrielle, 41, reveals why she was the one who demanded that her fiancé, NBA pro Dwyane Wade, sign a prenuptial agreement."For this marriage, the biggest difference between this and the last marriage will be a prenup, at my insistence," Gabrielle told Arsenio. "When you have your own stuff, you don't need to worry about anybody else's stuff… The reality is, I've never seen Dwyane balance a check book, so I got to protect my stuff."

"It's the wave of the future," Gabrielle said, laughing. "Protecting your stuff."

Replies:
Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 11:50am
iGiggled @ "forward thinking woman of the future"

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 11:53am
She cleaned it up well. She knows good and well she's getting it so she can have a cheating clause. Not saying I wouldn't do the same I just wont be certain id need it like she knows she does

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 11:55am
wonder what's the going rate for cheating in 2014

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 11:56am
I might need a C-o-Living increase. lol

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 11:58am
is it considered hating to think a ring is way too big and plain looking?  I really wouldn't pick that for myself, even with that budget.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:00pm
she looks cute. 

i don't care for what i saw of the ring either.. didnt watch much. 

Posted By: H0tg1rl
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:01pm
I totally agree about the ring, nothing special about it. I love mine! And its just a carat

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:02pm
I didn't see the interview but she kind of alluded that Dwade may be irresponsible with money because she's never seen him balance a checkbook?

I thought I understood prenups, but if he makes poor financial decisions while you are married how is that protecting the money you made after the wedding? Unless she plans to quit working.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:05pm
I guess she wants to  protect the money she makes

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

is it considered hating to think a ring is way too big and plain looking?  I really wouldn't pick that for myself, even with that budget.

no I don't think it's hating.

but I LOVE LOVE LOVE her ring.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:06pm

ok gabby...

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:07pm
I'm here for it

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:07pm
I wonder what her band will look like.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:08pm
oh, and the prenup may be to ensure that she gets a sizable portion of HIS money too (after the divorce). js

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:08pm
I bet that prenup is full of clauses..

cheating clause

married more than one year clause

embarrasing cheating scandal clause

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

I didn't see the interview but she kind of alluded that Dwade may be irresponsible with money because she's never seen him balance a checkbook?

I thought I understood prenups, but if he makes poor financial decisions while you are married how is that protecting the money you made after the wedding? Unless she plans to quit working.

i guess she is not only talking about her "stuff" she already has...but also her "stuff" she has yet to  accumulate during the marriage.  i guess...

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:09pm
dwade irresponsible?

interesting, when he and lebron and beckham are talking bout starting a soccer franchise in miami

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:10pm
She needs to have those clauses because I think his reckless behavior impacts her public image and ultimately her pockets.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

oh, and the prenup may be to ensure that she gets a sizable portion of HIS money too (after the divorce). js

but that would be her worried about getting "his stuff"...yes?

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:12pm

She needs to have those clauses because I think his reckless behavior impacts her public image and ultimately her pockets.

i guess...but if she really feels like that... why even bother...lol

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

but that would be her worried about getting "his stuff"...yes?

of course.
and she wouldn't tell Arsenio/or USLOL that either . Her reason sounds better.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:14pm
right.  which is why  i can't take anything she says seriously.  she's a joke...

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:16pm
oh and i don't like that ring either.  don't actually mind it being big...it's just huge and weird looking.  sorta like that candy ring from back in the day...

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:18pm
that's sorta why I like it lol

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:19pm
LOL

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:20pm
if I got that for Valentines day... oh boy!

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:24pm
I just don't think i like those silly excuses. I just think it's irresponsible for wealthy people to approach a binding legal contract without coming to terms in excruciating detail. It's nothing to be ashamed of, unless you have one of those Michael strayhan (sp?) Prenups..lol

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:25pm
i think she's just saying this because she thinks people are saying she's stupid and just with him for the money.. 

shes always trying to say that, 'i got my own money, i don't want kids anywaydoe, he treats ME great, I'm happy' 
so that she won't look as stupid.. but she does anyways… 

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:29pm
I would like a larger band on mine though.
(note to hub lol)

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:29pm
Lol, Gabby can't win. If she said she didn't want a prenup she would be a gold digger and opportunist putting up with Wade's cheating because he has money.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Prtybrwneye_z Prtybrwneye_z wrote:

Lol, Gabby can't win. If she said she didn't want a prenup she would be a gold digger and opportunist putting up with Wade's cheating because he has money.

This. Instead, she has her own money and is putting up with his cheating ways because...

If she doesn't walk away with some money after the divorce because they will divorce then why even get married to Dwayne.

realtalk....

love?

lmao

Posted By: pinkdiemond
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

If she doesn't walk away with some money after the divorce because they will divorce then why even get married to Dwayne.

realtalk....

Lamp

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:34pm

love?

lmao

oh yeah Purp... thanks for reminding me..LOLHeart

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:34pm
she can put up this front if she wants to for us… 
but she better be stashing 

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:35pm
I like Gabby and I love her show.

Cool with whatever
Good for her

love?

lmao

oh yeah Purp... thanks for reminding me..LOLHeart

yeah I cracked up typing thatLOL

will they have separate bank accounts? lol

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:37pm

I just don't think i like those silly excuses. I just think it's irresponsible for wealthy people to approach a binding legal contract without coming to terms in excruciating detail. It's nothing to be ashamed of, unless you have one of those Michael strayhan (sp?) Prenups..lol

well yes.  the silly execuses are just that...silly.

as for myself, i've always said if what i want is a legally binding contract with a man...i can have all of that without actually getting married.  ideally, marriage should be a step up from that...in my mind, anyway...but then i'm not wealthy either...lol

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 12:40pm
For her to insist on a pre-nup ... tells me she knows it's not gonna work out.

Why marry a guy if you've gotta get a pre-nup? It's not real.

She is beautiful though .. too bad she's screwy in the head.

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 1:39pm
why are they even getting married?

I'm for the pre-nup, post-nup, whatever in 2014 but if all signs point to hot mess then a pre-nup can only protect so much.

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 1:40pm
Gabby gets a bad rap on BHM

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 1:48pm
Gabby just wants to be married and have a come up at the same time.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Gabby gets a bad rap on BHM

I don't know why. We used to love her hair here LOL

Posted By: hautsdeseine
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 1:59pm
The prenup only applies to the assets you have before the wedding so if they divorce, they will still splitt what they earned during the wedding time and she will wincause i guess he makes more than she does

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:02pm
^^ that is not true as Khloe Kardashian...

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by hautsdeseine hautsdeseine wrote:

The prenup only applies to the assets you have before the wedding so if they divorce, they will still splitt what they earned during the wedding time and she will wincause i guess he makes more than she does

it covers during the marriage as well.
Only the worst lawyer would draw up a prenup saying everything made during wedlock gets split 50/50. She will likely have a set amount of money stipulated in the agreement regardless if his future earnings.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:11pm

^^ that is not true as Khloe Kardashian...

gurl...LOL

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:15pm
What I don't know is how is debt handled in a prenup. Like if he made foolish investments like some of the more tragic NBA players is she protected?

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:20pm

What I don't know is how is debt handled in a prenup. Like if he made foolish investments like some of the more tragic NBA players is she protected?

protected how?  you mean can the debtors come after her personal stuff/assets to get paid?

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:25pm

protected how?  you mean can the debtors come after her personal stuff/assets to get paid?

Correct. For new investments/ business deals he enters into after they are married.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:32pm

regardless of a pre-nup, i wouldn't think they could.  unless of course she actually co-mingled her stuff with his. 

Posted By: ppp38
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:42pm
Wade doesn't have many years left in the NBA (he's already  32) and most athletes end up going bankrupt.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by hautsdeseine hautsdeseine wrote:

Not true. A pre-nup can stipulate how any assets are divided in case of divorce, whether earned prenuptially or postnuptially, as long as the terms are actionable.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 3:25pm

She's only protected from premarital debt. Debt accumulated during the marriage belongs to both spouses.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

She's only protected from premarital debt. Debt accumulated during the marriage belongs to both spouses.

yes.  but it seems to me there could be a legal way around this as well...

unpaid child support instantly comes to mind.  this would be technically considered debt accumulated during the marriage that would not belong to the spouse ...unless, of course, the spouse comingled their pre and/or post personal assets with that of the dead beats...

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 3:55pm

unpaid child support instantly comes to mind.  this would be technically considered debt accumulated during the marriage that would not belong to the spouse ...unless, of course, the spouse comingled their pre and/or post personal assets with that of the dead beats...

and I did wonder if that's why she was adamant about a prenup. lol
but I know there are many reasons for 'em.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 4:02pm

purp, do you mean arrangement in the pre-nup for gabby's/dwade's unborn child to be?

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 4:11pm
LOL
I meant it's to keep her from  having to pay his child support for his future outside kids.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 4:41pm
Dead oh lawd.    the pre-nup arrangements would only be activated upon divorce anyway, right?

while she is "with" him she should just keep her shyt seperate in case any outside baby mama's (past, present or future) come after his assets for child support...i guess...Dead

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 4:46pm
LOL it's too confusing. I don't know.. but sometimes the prenup details how finances will be handled during the marriage (like who's responsible or what) as well as distribution after (divorce or death). Also whether property will pass to children from previous marriage/relat.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 5:06pm
yeah i can see where it could be outlined in the pre-nup how things should be handled during the marriage...but i guess i was also thinking the person would have to take action legally to enforce said arrangement...and if it is to that point...divorce is most likely right around the corner...lol

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 5:45pm
Y'all now good and well there will be a cheating clause and another baby clause.

If not she is stupido

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 5:49pm
They ain't shuffling down no aisle if they do they are collectively dumb.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 5:54pm
I keep forgetting they are still engaged Dead

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 6:27pm
Lmao! Cool story Gab.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 7:31pm

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Actually, child support is considered nonmarital debt and would typically be considered his debt, so she wouldn't have to include it in the pre-nup. Unless she just wants an added precaution or lawsare different in their state. 

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 7:51pm
ahhh ok.  i am thinking tax liens and/or student loans are the same, yes?  meaning...the irs couldn't slap a levy/lien on her property (including property obtained during the marriage...not in his name at all, of course) or garnish her wages for taxes he incurred during the marriage...asuuming they file seperately for the tax year in question, that is...

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:01pm

found this, in case anyone is as interested as i am...lol

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/debt-marriage-owe-spouse-debts-29572.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/debt-marriage-owe-spouse-debts-29572.html

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:13pm

ahhh ok.  i am thinking tax liens and/or student loans are the same, yes?  meaning...the irs couldn't slap a levy/lien on her property (including property obtained during the marriage...not in his name at all, of course) or garnish her wages for taxes he incurred during the marriage...asuuming they file seperately for the tax year in question, that is...

State laws vary so that depends on the state, but generally it would have to be determined whether the debt was marital or separate property. 

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:16pm
yeah...so if she is getting married in a common law state she best keep her shyt seperate if she is really concerned about keeping her stuff in tact...wink wink....

matter of fact...just keep everything seperate...lol

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:20pm

that sounds like what she is doing TC.

eta: what she wants to do.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:27pm

found this, in case anyone is as interested as i am...lol

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/debt-marriage-owe-spouse-debts-29572.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/debt-marriage-owe-spouse-debts-29572.html

Ooo.. interesting.

Posted By: slayfresh
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:29pm
she should who knows how many more break babies he will have on her.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:29pm

yeah...so if she is getting married in a common law state she best keep her shyt seperate if she is really concerned about keeping her stuff in tact...wink wink....

She might strategically throw her name on certain assets though..
Like thanks for the bday car boo, I'll handle the insurance and registration tho...lol

Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 9:05pm

She might strategically throw her name on certain assets though..
Like thanks for the bday car boo, I'll handle the insurance and registration tho...lol

well yes.  gifts and such...for sure! and probably some of his "stuff"  too...ha!

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 9:10pm
sooo, what is that top color in gabby's hair? auburn?
LMKS
TIA

Print Page | Close Window