Print Page | Close Window

Fried Chicken and Watermelon Lunch For BHM

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368269
Printed Date: Aug 18 2018 at 4:08am

Topic: Fried Chicken and Watermelon Lunch For BHM
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Fried Chicken and Watermelon Lunch For BHM
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:04pm

California School Plans Fried Chicken and Watermelon Lunch For Black History Month

A California school is under fire for an insensitive menu

By:
Posted:

File under how not to celebrate Black History Month.

Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord, California, is under fire after announcing a Black History Month lunch special menu of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon.

Students at the Northern California private school had been brainstorming ways to celebrate Black History Month. The lunch menu was not what they had in mind.

Students and parents reacted with anger and outrage to the school administration.

According to NBC affiliate KNTV- TV, Principal Nancy Libby responded to the criticism. "I'd like to apologize for the announcement and any hurt this caused students, parents or community members," Libby said in the letter. "Please know that at no time at Carondelet do we wish to perpetuate racial stereotypes."

Read more at http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Controversy-Surrounds-Lunch-Menu-at-Concord-High-School-243851091.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_BAYBrand" rel="nofollow - KNTV-TV .

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/02/california_school_plans_fried_chicken_and_watermelon_lunch_for_black_history.html

Replies:
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:05pm

California school apologizes for Black History Month menu

Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM   |   1 comments

email print
CONCORD, Calif., Feb. 6 (UPI) -- A school in Northern California apologized for a Black History Month school lunch menu that featured fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, students said.

Parents and students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord, Calif., said they were outraged by the offerings, KNTV, San Francisco, reported Thursday.

The school quickly apologized in a letter.

"I'd like to apologize for the announcement and any hurt this caused students, parents or community members," Principal Nancy Libby said in the letter. "Please know that at no time at Carondelet do we wish to perpetrate racial stereotypes."

The items were removed from the menu and the school plans to hold a diversity assembly for faculty and students, Libby said.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/02/06/California-school-apologizes-for-Black-History-Month-menu/UPI-21021391707092/#ixzz2sae1RQlh" rel="nofollow - http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/02/06/California-school-apologizes-for-Black-History-Month-menu/UPI-21021391707092/#ixzz2sae1RQlh

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:08pm
Man I would be sitting in that cafeteria like this

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:10pm
I don't really like watermelon though, it taste like sweet onions. Dead

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:14pm
whaaaat? 

concord, California too? thats like 25 minutes from me… 

craze. I'm ashamed.. 

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:14pm
Ermm

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:15pm
I dont get the association with watermelon though...Am I missing something? I can't even stand watermelon it makes me nauseous.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:19pm
I love watermelon and fried chicken but I have never ate them in the same meal. I would definitely re-think sending my child there.

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:41pm
i like watermelon. 
i don't eat fried chicken though...i don't eat fried anything.
crackers are so plucking dumb. 

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:47pm
Lies. California is way too liberal and accepting.

Racism only happens in the south.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:51pm
btw i love watermelon. 

rarely eat fried chicken though. 
dont mess with cornbread.  
and never together for me either.. 

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:53pm
Slaves used to eat watermelon since i 90% water and slave maste4 werent tryng to give us any extra water or food.

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:04pm
Liberal you say, I think its more closeted feelings is all. Most people who live in California ,migrated there and took their racist feelings with them.  I prefer my racist upfront, please and thank you.

Drive through Dublin area while black and see how liberal they are, I was pulled over at the gas station there and my car was parked.Confused

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:11pm
Coming from white Americans, that was definitely meant as a racist taunt. But you know what's funny about American racism? You actually have black people refuse to eat fried chicken or watermelon in public as if those are shameful foods when in actuality, people all over the word eat chicken (maybe not fried but still) and watermelon. White racism really has played a number on people. White people will eat fried chicken and watermelon like there's nothing to it while some blacks will eat it in hiding. That is so fucced up. Isn't chicken a lean meat and watermelon a thirst quenching nutritious fruit? Blacks need to stop living by white people's standards or stereotypes

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

Whoopi goldberg and some other actors/actresses wont eat those things on screen

I know and that's one of the ways that white people mess with black people's psyches. A lot of AAs don't seem to get it. All they see is those mammy dolls in their minds and they self-refrain from doing something that's perfectly normal and that's exactly how THEY want it. At least, that's my view on it. It has always astounded me. Not sure if American posters will get my point, as this is so culturally ingrained at this point

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:15pm
Whoopi goldberg and some other actors/actresses wont eat those things on screen

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:19pm
i think places like concord/brentwood are way different than san fran/oakland… 

(idk much about dublin but it seems like it would be like concord/brentwood) 

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:36pm
I know exactly what you're talking about Jolie.   Its food.   Chicken is delicious. 

But ultimately white people should just NOT participate in "helping" us with Black History Month.  Just don't. 

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

I know exactly what you're talking about Jolie.   Its food.   Chicken is delicious. 

But ultimately white people should just NOT participate in "helping" us with Black History Month.  Just don't. 

Pretty much!

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Oh, I get the part about Black History Month. Given the ugly stereotypes and images that WHITE AMERICAN people have constructed around fried chicken and watermelon, I get that putting that on the menu was a racist move on their part. I guess I'm just addressing the internalization of these stereotypes as shameful by blacks. Probably a separate topic, though.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:40pm
Not only do white people eat fried chicken they desperately want to learn how to make it at home. Whichever one of them turned this into a slur was a hatin ass, non soul food cookin clear person with bland ass chicken and dry cornbread.  Don't be mad at us because you don't have all the good sh*t at your cook-outs and parties. 

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 7:43pm
They should've let the vote on what they wanted to eat why assume they wanted fried chicken and watermelon.

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:30pm
I just got back from a black history event. They had buffalo wings, small sandwiches and a fruit plate with watermelon. I smiled, fixed my to-go plate and left LOL Im not a fruit person, so I just got the wings & a sandwich.
I think that there is a certain generation that makes ish into a big deal when it should not be.

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:34pm
Historically there have been minstrels and negative images associated with blacks, chicken and watermelon. They wouldn't dare associate the images with Jews and tell them to get over it. It will remain a big deal until we quit being stopped indiscriminately simply due to the presence of melanin.

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:45pm
For a school to be doing this type of bull, just wow!

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:52pm
They don't like y'all and think we are a joke. If it wasn't for law it would have been worst.

Posted By: Up&Out39
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:55pm
I live kind of close to that area. I actually work in the San Ramon area. This would not have went down in SF. I'm not surprised it happened in Concord

Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:56pm
I'm not surprised at all. I've lived in the bay area for a while now. Concord, Dublin, the Peninsula, etc all racist as fock.

Wasn't there a rally or something in Concord for Yohannes Meserly(sp?) in his defense after he killed Oscar Grant?

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:03pm
I do not participate in fried chicken eating at work.Confused

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by morenaloca morenaloca wrote:

I'm not surprised at all. I've lived in the bay area for a while now. Concord, Dublin, the Peninsula, etc all racist as fock.

Wasn't there a rally or something in Concord for Yohannes Meserly(sp?) in his defense after he killed Oscar Grant?
ShockedDead

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:29pm
lol, 
i censor my eating certain things around certain people but never for racial reasons. i'd feel some type of way about getting watermelon specifically on a menu, watermelon's aren't even really in season yet. it would have been less conspicuous if they just said "fruit plate", cause really what's the point of pointing out that fruit specifically unless you're being racist. 

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:40pm

directly south of Concord in Walnut Creek...so yeah...not surprised.

Concord and Pittsburg is basically where the black bay area exodus went down lol...those areas used to be so white but all the blacks from SF and Oakland have moved up there.

Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Concord and Pittsburg is basically where the black bay area exodus went down lol...those areas used to be so white but all the blacks from SF and Oakland have moved up there.

Uggh...My sophomore year of high school I lived in Antioch and there was a lot of racial tension. There were rumors of being a huge rumble (whites vs. blacks) at the end of the school year but it never happened LOL There were numerous articles in the newspapers about ppl complaining about all the ppl with Section 8 ruining the neighborhoods, yada yada yada. Sucked

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:46pm
Of all the ways to celerate..by playing into a stereotype???

And then an 'oops, my bad'?

This blatant racism and feigned ignorance is growing by the day...

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:49pm

Uggh...My sophomore year of high school I lived in Antioch and there was a lot of racial tension. There were rumors of being a huge rumble (whites vs. blacks) at the end of the school year but it never happened LOL There were numerous articles in the newspapers about ppl complaining about all the ppl with Section 8 ruining the neighborhoods, yada yada yada. Sucked

my friend moved to Antioch when we were in h.s. too!  she said the same type of thing.  a group of us would catch bart up there then the long bus ride over...as we would walk around i got the "there goes the neighborhood" vibe.  oh well eff em because plenty of them crackerbillies went into foreclosure anyway, i bet they're on section 8 now.LOL

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:20pm

Slaves used to eat watermelon since i 90% water and slave maste4 werent tryng to give us any extra water or food.

Never knew this...

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:31pm

interesting.. 

i lived in antioch 1 year too.. freshman year.. then went back to SF
deervalley? 
i remember hearing about all that… 'segregated cafeterias' and whatnot.. but i didnt feel like that or notice/experience anything.. it was all talk.. them white girls and that coach realllllly wanted me to audition for the dance team. (zero black girls)

the section 8 stuff is true i think (not that it ruined.. but lots of ppl with section 8 moved there cus they were able to get decent houses.)

And yea lots of blacks really did move to pittsburg and antioch.. EVERYone was 'from oakland' or SF or somewhere.. none of them were from antioch supposedly Sleepy 

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 1:05am
Why are white people (and other races that wanna pull that tired ass sterotype) acting like they don't like watermelon and fried chicken?  For *&%^$#@Es sake they invented fried chicken (specifically the Scots in which they soaked the chicken in buttermilk and then fried it in oil, the English usually baked or roasted their chicken)and don't let those s tell you otherwise.  Honestly I am so sick of that sorry ass stereotype.  It is such a lazy stereotype.  That is like saying that Jamaicans smoke weed or whatever lazy ass stereotype that is so shopworn and used to death. 

Date Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Never knew this...

Yup, thats why idc, it was SMART of the slaves and a way to survive but wll whites saw was "them Brotha Mans love their watermelon"

Date Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 1:36am
^^ white people are slow.  the rest of the world taught them how to live better.

Date Posted: Feb 08 2014 at 1:46pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNswBGYYVc" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNswBGYYVc

Date Posted: Feb 08 2014 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I do not participate in fried chicken eating at work.Confused

Man I used to be that way. But life is too short. Eat that chicken before it gets cold my sister.

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Feb 08 2014 at 2:19pm
I swear i have so many tabs of this thread up and i refuse to read itDead what sort of a$$ phuckery is that?! *hisses teeth*

I never knew people hide and eat watermelon and fried chicken till BHM and i felt and wept for all AAsCryCry

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Feb 08 2014 at 2:40pm
So.....there isn't going to b a fried chicken and watermelon lunch for bhm? Sadness.

I expected loads of racism this month. On 1/31 I took a deep breath and said, "here we go."

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Feb 08 2014 at 4:39pm
SOMEONE had to have known that was a dumb idea. Smh

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Feb 08 2014 at 5:52pm
They don't have fried chicken, cornbread or watermelon during any of the other months of the year?

I'd be pissed if I was a student at that school.

Print Page | Close Window