Print Page | Close Window

More 27 Year Olds Live With Parents Than Roommates

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368254
Printed Date: Jan 19 2018 at 9:56am

Topic: More 27 Year Olds Live With Parents Than Roommates
Posted By: Marcelo22
Subject: More 27 Year Olds Live With Parents Than Roommates
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:04pm
What does this say about modern day America? 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/01/29/department_of_education_study_27_year_olds_live_with_their_parents_their.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/01/29/department_of_education_study_27_year_olds_live_with_their_parents_their.html

More 27-Year-Olds Live With Parents Than Roommates

A recently published study from the Department of Education casts new light on the State of the 27-Year-Old Today. The report, which in 2002 began following roughly 15,000 young men and women from their sophomore year in high school through their mid-20s, draws a picture of educated, debt-saddled young adults, more than half of whom are in some kind of committed relationship. It shows, incredibly, that around 10 percent of 27-year-olds feel they have already fulfilled their career goals. (Dear Lord—either these Americans have set scanty goals or that is a lot of leaning in.) But perhaps the most surprising factoid is this: There are more men and women at age 27 living with their parents than with roommates. 

According to the study's authors:

Overall percentages for all 2002 sophomores as of 2012 were as follows: 19 percent were living alone, 42 percent were living with a spouse or partner, 10 percent were living with roommate(s), 23 percent were living with their parents, and 6 percent had some other arrangement.
So, granted, the plurality of 27-year-olds have shacked up with a romantic partner—and, the report says, this pattern holds across all levels of educational attainment. But among all participants except bachelor’s degree holders, who were slightly more likely to be living alone than with mom and dad, the parental nest was a close second. And, again, everyone was more likely to live with their folks than with roommates. Pop quiz! Is this because:

-Roommates are at best one of the world’s great Russian roulette games, and at worst a plague upon humanity?

-Millennials are victims of a coddling culture of self-esteem, broken-winged, suffocated by the poisonous comforts of suspended adolescence?

-The Great Recession made it impossible for many 27-year-olds to afford rent?

I know which choice seems right to me. The study finds that almost 80 percent of 27-year-olds are in debt, whether from student loans, credit cards, or mortgages; since 2009, 40 percent have been unemployed; more than 85 percent describe their finances as either “somewhat stressful” or “extremely stressful”; and in 2010, as the Atlantic’s Jordan Weissmann pointed out, they were more likely to be earning less than $15,000 from work than they were to be earning more than $40,000. (Weissmann has created some nifty charts based on the data.)

When I lived with my parents (lo those many years ago—two years), the arrangement was more than convenience—it was necessity. Getting a paying job helped. But I am already anticipating the “millennials are shiftless bums” spin on this data and preparing my personal, indignant defense: I have never received a participation trophy for a sport in my life, nor do I know many 26-year-olds who have. Though I am grateful that my parents were willing and able to let me live with them, my sojourn at home wasn't about my reluctance to leave the nest. It was about, on some level, having a place to sleep while I blundered through the job search. Or having a place to blunder while I slept through the job search. In any case, thanks, Mom and Dad.

Replies:
Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:09pm
My opinion on this is I don't see a problem if u are saving up for your own home, paying debt, working a real job to save $$ (not no Mcdonalds type of gig), etc. But I notice some people past 21 who still live at home aren't really doing anything productive. They are comfortable and their parents don't want them to leave so they like "Might as well chill here". And that's not good for them imo. Some people need to get kicked out so they can reach their true potential. Some might really be slow tho and their parents don't want them out here assed out. 

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:10pm
This is the norm in many societies.
I was kind of shocked when I moved here and saw people moving out at 17.

But anyway, money is becoming a figment of the imagination to the general public now. Yet ads are still everywhere, the message 'spend your money on this' is everywhere, meanwhile the unemplyment rate here in Canada just jumped to 7.2% in December.

Something doesn't add up..pun intended!

Posted By: iliveforbhm
oh.....

Posted By: maysay1
Praise celing cat for loving supportive parents.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:25pm
many parents [now] wont' let them leave LOL

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:36pm
If you're in school FT, working FT and trying to make it I don't have much to say.

I do have some grown cousins who are being coddled and doing absolutely nothing and living at home for free.Ermm

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:49pm
The minimum wage here in Toronto is $10.25 and it will be increasing to $11 in April.

Well guess what? Most jobs already start at $11 or $12 (no benefits a lot of the time) so it's basically like nothing will change once the minimum wage goes to $11.

We were asking for $14, but naw, that's too high for us.
No adult should be working for less than food and shelter can afford as a minimum! Plus our tax is 13%

companies are now being slick and hiring only part time. So $11 on 15 hrs a week after taxes is basically zero.
So yeah, more and more people are either moving back to their parents, or not leaving at all.

Going to school or not.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:01pm
The combination of the student loan crises, graduating at the height of the recession and few jobs leaves many with no other choice

America is losing it's privileges, this news should be no surprise to anyone

Parents (should) provide a more stable environment than iffy roommates

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:15pm
If they have parents who are cool with the arrangement, they why would I get worked up?  I try not to be in folks business so there are a myrad of reasons on why "grown" folks are staying with their parents' home.  I guess most of them want to be independent but unfortunately with the current economic situation we are in, you practically need at least two jobs to be on your own.  Unless folks want to sacrifice (i.e. no cell phone, not going out often, scrimping and saving whereever).

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:25pm
In most societies you stay home til you marry....and even after you marry.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:27pm
Most of the people I know who are over 25 and still live with their parents don't work, go to school, or try to do anything for themselves though so the whole student debt and not making enough money thing isn't an excuse. Atleast not for them anyway. But to each their own.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:30pm
Also the govt is fronting like we're doing well, but the Canadian dollar keeps dropping and the increased unemployment rate says otherwise.
There aren't that many jobs out there, and the white graduates get first dibs on positions. Of course if the company is Chinese then your black ass can forget it. If it is Middle Eastern and Muslim your black ass don't need to forget it, just don't think about it at all. And since black people don't own anything just take your ass to college and be a nurse otherwise get used to that $11 forever.

I don't know why blacks stay here. It's not a country for a black person with big financial goals.

Damn..end rant, i guess.

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:34pm
hmmm im from a different way of thinking / i was out by18 moved that was my choice i never moved back with parents/ that's how my children are VERY self-sufficient VERY seldom except for the spoiled one do they even asks me for a dimeLOL   ( now that spoiled rotten bratty one that looks like i spit her out? oooooweeeee that gal there is jUST now gettin weened off hittin up my pocketsLOL)

sidenote: i do usually send money just me being me @ different times to them cause they my babiesHeart but aint nobody was stayin with me after 18yrs no more than 20yrs oldLOL

Posted By: bigsexylisa
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:42pm
I have friends whose parent put them out at 18--and they struggle to this very day.  Everyone isn't ready to move out just because the law says that they are an adult.  I was 28 when I moved out of my parents home--and at the time I had a masters degree, and a full time job.  If a parent is in the position to have their child continue to live with them, and the child is actually attempting to make something of themselves, I don't see the problem. 

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:50pm
Im 22, still living at home and thankful...i aint goin nowhere LOL

honestly though if I was kicked out i would just shack up with some man probably end up pregnant and broke

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:28pm
Good for them,

I don't want to.

Ppl use this ideal scenario but all of them grown folk living with their parents aren't doing that.
But that's the go to

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:32pm
i had an apartment when i was 18.. i made the choice to move back home after a few years to help them.  

i can think of a few ppl my age living at home.. and i can think of a few people my age or younger with their own places.. 

one actually lets her mom and step dad stay with her.. 

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:38pm

Originally posted by bigsexylisa bigsexylisa wrote:

I have friends whose parent put them out at 18--and they struggle to this very day.  Everyone isn't ready to move out just because the law says that they are an adult.  I was 28 when I moved out of my parents home--and at the time I had a masters degree, and a full time job.  If a parent is in the position to have their child continue to live with them, and the child is actually attempting to make something of themselves, I don't see the problem. 
Gimme another year to join you.Cry

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:40pm
I think that it is the most asinine thing to kick a child out once the reach 18 y/o.

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

Im 22, still living at home and thankful...i aint goin nowhere LOL

honestly though if I was kicked out i would just shack up with some man probably end up pregnant and broke

Yep, I can't stand my parents but if they  kickked my ass out the house Id prolly be in downtown Atlanta prostitutin at nightime in Centennial Park

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

I think that it is the most asinine thing to kick a child out once the reach 18 y/o.

yea i think its cruel.. 

i have known a few ppl who have to pay rent.. 

craze. 
i mean i can see offering.. to help out.. but required..? 

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:50pm
As an African, this is normal. As an American, this is a sign of a horrendous economy.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:53pm
I had a friend whose mom told her at 15 , im kicking you out at 18 and would keep on reminding her. Thank god her dad let her move in.

Olthe one time i told my mom im moving out she stared me down till my bags were unpacked and my clothes were put back

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:53pm
maybe its different because all my babies were & are in college/ got they own love situtions/ job on lock sooo i havent seen that with mine ( i thank the Lord everyday for this tooHeart) even my sisters & brother and im the baby were on our own thang once high school was over brother went to airforce/ sisters went to college got into programs that led to jobs they still have now .... different strokes for different folksWink

Posted By: JeriMK55
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:54pm
Honestly I rather stay with my parents until I can afford my own place with no roommates....

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:56pm
meh, i'm actually quite happy with this trend.
i've lived on my own and that shyt is overrated; i was lonely; i had to remember to pay all my bills, grocery shop (which i hate with a passion), try and cook; all the things that i don't care for. 
i'm 27 and have a masters degree and a full time job; moved back with my parents 7 months ago not because i couldn't afford to live on my own but because it was smart.
yea, ill admit that my parents spoil me to death but i'm their only daughter so...
i'm doing things with my life. who says you have to be on your own by a certain age; i love being around my family, i absolutely love it. 
now this negro is finishing his fellowship this year and wants to get married so i guess ill have to move out and start a life with him, but i secretly wish that could stay with my parents forever.
i'm going back to get my doctorate this year; i rather be a professional student then take on the daunting task of being an adult.
that crap is so overrated.  

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

I had a friend whose mom told her at 15 , im kicking you out at 18 and would keep on reminding her. Thank god her dad let her move in.

Olthe one time i told my mom im moving out she stared me down till my bags were unpacked and my clothes were put back

Yeah my mother wouldn't shut the hell up when I told her I was moving.  So I didn'tErmm

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:58pm
LOL

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:59pm
yea I'm not about that roommate life.. 

living all alone is everything Heart
i used to think i could do it.. but I've read/heard too many horror stories. 
id rather live with my folks before a roommate too i think. 

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:04pm

living alone >>>>>

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:11pm
Yeah, I want to live alone so bad. I need some freedom ya'll. I'm freakin 21 and my parents are still telling me what to wear. Can't leave the house wearing a crop top unless I want to get beat upside the head with a wooden spoon.... can't even sip wine coolers w/out daddy mean muggin me

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:17pm

aww nalaHug

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by nala52808 nala52808 wrote:

Yeah, I want to live alone so bad. I need some freedom ya'll. I'm freakin 21 and my parents are still telling me what to wear. Can't leave the house wearing a crop top unless I want to get beat upside the head with a wooden spoon.... can't even sip wine coolers w/out daddy mean muggin me

LOLLOLLOL....oh i see. yeah, i've never had that problem. my parents are cool as hell; hell they tell me that i'm too pretty to be sitting in the house and always telling me about an event going on that i should attend. 

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:21pm

i dont like living with other people....i dont care who they are

friends/roommate/dormmate/family member/

its cute at first but it gets old 

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:31pm

All I can think about is your overalls.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Good for them,

I don't want to.

Ppl use this ideal scenario but all of them grown folk living with their parents aren't doing that.
But that's the go to

basically

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

This probably needs a new thread of its own but how do yall feel about having one's SO living with your parents as well?

nah that's a negative. 

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:53pm
This probably needs a new thread of its own but how do yall feel about having one's SO living with your parents as well?

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

LOLLOLLOL....oh i see. yeah, i've never had that problem. my parents are cool as hell; hell they tell me that i'm too pretty to be sitting in the house and always telling me about an event going on that i should attend. 

Heart

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 5:11pm
This is very believable.

If I had to choose between living with a roomie and living with either of my parents, I'd choose moving in with my parents any day.

Also, it's actually customary in many other counties to live @ home til you're married. I don't think there's anything wrong with living at home.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

If the house is big enough, and we're not in close quarters...why not?

I read somewhere Jaime Foxx lived in a house with both of his divorced parents, apparently his parents never see each other. If it was a setup like that, I wouldn't mind.

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 5:46pm
Idk, where I live (D.C. area) there's a lot of pressure to be independent and leave the "roost". Everybody's an overachiever lol. I'm 24, living at home and am finally moving out this spring after boomerang-ing back home after college 2 years ago (I'm working FT and only getting older, so there's no more excuses)!

I do agree that if you get TOO comfortable and too afraid to take risks in life, you can end up staying at home longer than expected. Many Millenials are used to the lifestyle acquired by their parents, and "slumming" it on our own (not being able to shop at Whole Foods, take nice vacations, etc.) is not an option in a lot of people's minds, unfortunately. If you're really saving money for the future, staying at home can be useful--but I think there should be a plan/goal to eventually move out. But IMO, living in the suburbs def isn't an ideal location at all for young, single people.

To save money, I plan on living in a tinyyyy studio or share a place with a compatible roomie (but have my own private room and bathroom).

But taking risks and "spreading your wings" in your 20s is important if you're like me and love adventure and...change.

Posted By: nemesis1
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by whosbotheringme whosbotheringme wrote:

Yeah my mother wouldn't shut the hell up when I told her I was moving.  So I didn'tErmm

lol LOL

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 5:48pm
i see a lot of 40+ something males living with there moms in south florida

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 5:49pm
I'm 28 and live at home. I'm planning to move once I find a full-time gig in my field. It's customary for the kids in my culture no matter the age to live at home until they move out (job, school, etc) or get married anyway. I was in grad school and working part time so I wasn't able to afford to live on my own anyway

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

All I can think about is your overalls.
AngryAngryAngryFUCCCCCCCC YOU SANG!!!!!!

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:28pm
i did kinda feel like i was 'slumming' it when i had my apartment… 
i didnt have a job.. my money wasnt like before with a rent addition. also cus one of my parents got sick so less income from all them extra bills. 
back then i wasnt about the working life.. 

Posted By: dazed&
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 6:54pm
Meh. My parents havent supported me financially since I got my first job when I was 18. I live at home now but that would not have been the case if I wasn't in school. But I pay for EVERY other aspect of my life- only free thing is rent and utility bills. They always instilled in me the importance of saving your money and having a job lined up before I graduate, and I do ( though I know this isnt the case for the majorit of college grads because the economy is *&%^$#@Eed). I see nothing wrong with making your kid leave at 18 if they aren't doing anything with themselves. I wouldn't let my grown ass kid chill in the house all day everyday either. I wouldn't mind my kid staying home with me while they look for a job, but once they get one then it's time for them to start their own life under their own roof. I have no resentment towards my parents for making me be financially responsible for myself when I turned 18. I actually appreciate the fact that my parents weren't as giving when it came to money. Because of that, I am more financially responsible than almost everyone I know, especially those my age. That responsibility never hindered my from enjoying my youth and I'be never had to stress about money because they taught me the importance of saving at a young age, plus I'be always loved just having money even if I'm not saving it for anything in particular. I plan to do the same thing to my kids if I have them. I know too many people who have been coddled their whole life's and now their grown as sh*t, not doing anything because they've never been pushed.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:49pm
sometimes i get sentimental and i want a family compound. like we are all on the same property with separate living quarters. i think i'd love it.. lol
probably cheaper to buy a plot of land to build it than buiyng individual houses too.

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:56pm
I know a lot of people in their late twenties with good jobs, living at home. Makes perfect sense to me. If that's an option, your parents are cool and let you be grown, AND you are doing something meaningful with your life, then great.

I do think its a good idea to pay rent though. It will likely be well below market anyway, you'll have plenty left to save. May as well help out some, show a little love back. Shoot that good cable/DVR with those good home cooked meals ain't free!

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by dazed& dazed& wrote:

Meh. My parents havent supported me financially since I got my first job when I was 18. I live at home now but that would not have been the case if I wasn't in school. But I pay for EVERY other aspect of my life- only free thing is rent and utility bills. They always instilled in me the importance of saving your money and having a job lined up before I graduate, and I do ( though I know this isnt the case for the majorit of college grads because the economy is *&%^$#@Eed). I see nothing wrong with making your kid leave at 18 if they aren't doing anything with themselves. I wouldn't let my grown ass kid chill in the house all day everyday either. I wouldn't mind my kid staying home with me while they look for a job, but once they get one then it's time for them to start their own life under their own roof. I have no resentment towards my parents for making me be financially responsible for myself when I turned 18. I actually appreciate the fact that my parents weren't as giving when it came to money. Because of that, I am more financially responsible than almost everyone I know, especially those my age. That responsibility never hindered my from enjoying my youth and I'be never had to stress about money because they taught me the importance of saving at a young age, plus I'be always loved just having money even if I'm not saving it for anything in particular. I plan to do the same thing to my kids if I have them. I know too many people who have been coddled their whole life's and now their grown as sh*t, not doing anything because they've never been pushed.

Only? Girl that's a lot!! Rent and utility bills can make up between 1/3 and 1/2 of someone's income.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

sometimes i get sentimental and i want a family compound. like we are all on the same property with separate living quarters. i think i'd love it.. lol
probably cheaper to buy a plot of land to build it than buiyng individual houses too.

my sis used to say she wanted the whole fam (spouses, kids) to live together like the Ewings on Dallas lol

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:30pm
^^except bigger bedrooms; and their own wing.

Never understood with all the money the Ewings had, why they had those tiny bedrooms. lol

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Never understood with all the money the Ewings had, why they had those tiny bedrooms. lol

yes, most definitely. we need separate kitchens too. LOL

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:38pm
If anything America is late with this.IMO. I know people from what seems like every other culture where staying home till u were married or had enough for a house was the norm.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:45pm

Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

yes, most definitely. we need separate kitchens too. LOL

right. IN my sister's plan me, her and other sis (each 2 years apart in age) would live in one large estate with our husbands and kids. We could go for days w/out seeing each other if we wanted or have a meal together if we wanted. OUr choice. It sounds lovely to us; don't know how husbands will feel about it though lol.

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:52pm
i wish i could live for relatively 'free' too

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

Originally posted by dazed& dazed& wrote:

Only? Girl that's a lot!! Rent and utility bills can make up between 1/3 and 1/2 of someone's income.

Exactly.

That's a blessing that you're able to save and stack money tho.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 8:14am
I'm 27 and I still live at home, well I'm due to move out in April to rent for a year. 
Living at home has helped me save up for a deposit to buy a house next year. If I had moved out in my early 20's I would've been struggling and no where near being able afford to buy a house.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 8:16am

I would've dreaded my 18th Birthday

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 10:20am
Originally posted by nemesis1 nemesis1 wrote:

Originally posted by whosbotheringme whosbotheringme wrote:

lol LOL

Seriously, you would have thought the axe murderer CAME with the joint.

But I must say now that I'm older and have been living on my own for a number of years... paying bills by yourself sucks ass  Cry  But living alone has lots of advantages.  I think I would kill whatever roomate I could potentially have at this point

Print Page | Close Window