Print Page | Close Window

Being a good parent...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368244
Printed Date: Nov 21 2018 at 4:45am

Topic: Being a good parent...
Posted By: blaquefoxx
Subject: Being a good parent...
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:13am
Do you believe that being a great, loving parent comes naturally or is it something that is taught?

Who is responsible for teaching our women and men how to be good parents? The state, government, relatives or the community?

Do you think the reason why these little demon seeds are terrorizing people is because their parents weren't properly taught how to raise their kids?

BHM parents, did someone teach you or did you teach yourself along the way? Would you have preferred if someone (either mom, grandma, dad, etc) guided you in raising you kids? Do you think someone trying to guide you is "over stepping or being disrespectful? 

Replies:
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:47am
well -_____-

Posted By: lexis83
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:53am
I think it's a combination of multiple factors. I believe some people are born with a nurturing instinct others learn to nurture. You draw on experiences from your own upbringing to determine how u want to raise your kids and also learn by observing what works for other people

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:58am
I think a lot of it's learned. I plan to take a lot of ways I was raised with my own children.
There's some things I didn't agree with that I plan to seek advice on or play by ear.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 9:58am
Its a combo.. 
natural common sense mixed with things you've seen/observed/planned 

but i think that it comes naturally for some.. 
i think parenting can be similar to a box of chocolates.. and there will be new obstacles/issues you may have never expected but you learn and grow with time. 

people say id be a great mom Cool

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:14am
One thing I don't like is when people say "well that's how I was raised and I turned out ok" . But looking at their lives they Clearly failed at life.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:20am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

One thing I don't like is when people say "well that's how I was raised and I turned out ok" . But looking at their lives they Clearly failed at life.
lmao

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:23am
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Do you believe that being a great, loving parent comes naturally or is it something that is taught? mostly taught/modeled. some pick it up faster, better than others. and some don't pick it up at all. however, i do believe in maternal instinct. 

Who is responsible for teaching our women and men how to be good parents? The state, government, relatives or the community? i think the latter 2. it takes a village. 

Do you think the reason why these little demon seeds are terrorizing people is because their parents weren't properly taught how to raise their kids? my usual theory is that, more often than not, kids aren't bad, parents are bad at with they do. so yes, i do think that parents who don't know better/different can't do better/different. however, there will be those kids that will come from a "good" home and be deviant fcuk ups as well. 

BHM parents, did someone teach you or did you teach yourself along the way? Would you have preferred if someone (either mom, grandma, dad, etc) guided you in raising you kids? Do you think someone trying to guide you is "over stepping or being disrespectful? N/A

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:29am

Omg yes...see it all the time offline and on here meanwhile they're all types of struggling with simple life choices.  I will not raise my kids how i was raised.  Not living in denial is a helluva thing.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:33am
Most blacks do not have the ability to turn children into great leaders and innovators. They give them a bible for decoration, tell them a lot of inaccurate nonesense and the schools teach them nothing and the child grows up with confidence of bullshyt and life tells them they were bullshyted their whole lives and they wind up in the Ghettos.

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:41am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Most blacks do not have the ability to turn children into great leaders and innovators. They give them a bible for decoration, tell them a lot of inaccurate nonesense and the schools teach them nothing and the child grows up with confidence of bullshyt and life tells them they were bullshyted their whole lives and they wind up in the Ghettos.

Oh really....

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:45am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

Its a combo.. 
natural common sense mixed with things you've seen/observed/planned 

but i think that it comes naturally for some.. 
i think parenting can be similar to a box of chocolates.. and there will be new obstacles/issues you may have never expected but you learn and grow with time. 

people say id be a great mom Cool

* Cali, tree hugs "the Haight-Ashbury kind"

and ITA with Samone    

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:52am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

have you seen this happen to a lot of people you know?

just wondering where this observation came from

This all day... he's on BHM, and telling us how to birth a child? Just wow, GTFOH...

I think he wants to be a female. LOL>>> HEHE

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 10:53am

Well, in columbus, ohio definitely for sure and in a lot of other cities that I have lived in and went to. Look at Tennesse.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:01am

His personal experience?

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:08am
Originally posted by mommykat mommykat wrote:

This all day... he's on BHM, and telling us how to birth a child? Just wow, GTFOH...

I think he wants to be a female. LOL>>> HEHE

So only women can parent? I didn't know gender/sex was the issue when it comes to parenting. I learn something new today.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:16am
But such a bold statement to make without offering a solution. Huge pet peeve on mine when it comes to negroes...

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:18am

But such a bold statement to make without offering a solution. Huge pet peeve on mine when it comes to negroes...

There is no solution for the fallen negrodrials. They are gone forever. The ones who can make it can use their situation to show other negros that their way is destructive and work with those and anyone who wants to follow them can but can never be fcuked with again.

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:24am
. . . and the BHM generalizations and conjecturing continues. I really wish those who are not parents would refrain before contributing unbased opinions on successfully raising children.

As a parent of twin 14 year old boys, I can honestly say it's not an easy job, nor something you're ever fully prepared for. However, being raised in a two-parent household, it at least gave me a foundation to start from. My parents admit to making mistakes raising us, just like their parents made mistakes raising them. All you can do, like all other achievements in life, is hope to do better than the previous generations.
The mistakes my parents did make, I made it a point not to make those same mistakes. For example, my parents didn't really say "I love you" very often. Therefore, I made and continue to make it a point to tell my sons I love you every chance I get. And even now, I make it a point to tell my parents I love them whenever I get the opportunity. Furthermore, I got my ass beat when I was kid and I didn't like the way it made me feel about myself. I vowed to never beat my kids, and I never have (of course they've been popped a time or two), but I try to raise them with positive reinforcement instead of negative reinforcement.
I think having both parents involved in a child's life is crucial, however single parent households can and do thrive as well with additional effort.
A lot of the children the OP are referring to are missing fundamental needs in the hierarchy of needs pyramid, and their parents likely never had those needs fulfilled either. It can be a detrimental cycle

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:24am
There's a few parenting books I plan to read like "the happiest baby on the block". Just mainly out of curiosity.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:27am

<FONT size=3 face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">But such a bold statement to make without offering a solution. Huge pet peeve on mine when it comes to negroes...

There is no solution for the fallen negrodrials. They are gone forever. The ones who can make it can use their situation to show other negros that their way is destructive and work with those and anyone who wants to follow them can but can never be fcuked with again.

Not true. People who were raised poorly can be educated or mentored to not make the same mistakes.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:28am
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

Furthermore, I got my ass beat when I was kid and I didn't like the way it made me feel about myself. I vowed to never beat my kids, and I never have (of course they've been popped a time or two), but I try to raise them with positive reinforcement instead of negative reinforcement.

I love this.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:29am

Maslow's heirachry is a good start for teaching parents on what goals they should provide to be better parents.

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:29am
First we have to define what a good parent is.
For me, Before you can be a 'good' parent you have to be a 'good' person, and in my opinion, this society doesn't teach you how to do that.
I don't really care for the word good, so I mean an introspective, analytical person who can solve problems efficiently.
One who isn't self serving, and one who can function well in the current state of the world; who understands the purpose of money fully--not as a tool for power and control but for necessity and survival.
A healthy working mind.

When it comes to love and nourishment of the soul, for me a 'good' person is one who doesn't seek their identity in others. One who will hear a compliment or an insult and not internalize it as absolute. One who understands that an insult or a compliment is a reflection of someone else, which is a reflection of someone that person came into contact with which is a reflection of another situation...and so on. We don't internalize these things as the identity of the Self.

When it comes to love, a good person loves because they desire to multiply---they desire to share what they have be it knowledge, material, laughter. Any and everything. Not to control, but simply to share. That's what love truly is...a sharing of the Self in order to multiply the goodness for more Selves to enjoy.

Basically a person who can separate the mind from the Self.

Who is responsible for this? Well it is everyone's responibility but this is not the society we live in. Some societies do this and some don't.

Children whose minds aren't trained to solve problems or to think deeply will grow up to be people with wild minds that cause them to act foolishly without considering the dangers and the implications. That could go on forever because the mind is like an iron shield that just grows stronger in it's conditionings. It can be reconditioned, but of course it always fights new conditioning and it takes a lot of will power to do so. They then have children and the same thing happens..It's a vicious cycle.

My parents planted the seed of deeper thinking: analysis and introspection. After so many years of that conditioning, my mind just took off solving problems well.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:30am

<FONT size=3 face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">But such a bold statement to make without offering a solution. Huge pet peeve on mine when it comes to negroes...

Not true. People who were raised poorly can be educated or mentored to not make the same mistakes.

Only if they are young, if they are not enlightened by the time they reached 25 or 30 they will be lost forever.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:34am
you don't have to be a parent to have an opinion on parenting...we all had parents growing up.  We lived it...experience is obviously another level but clearly there are enough sh*tty parents that it doesn't always say much.  I love great parents, especially single mothers who create smart, confident kids. 

And I'm really tired of ppl being bothered by generalizations when they're negative but always cosigning the positive generalizations.  

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:35am
A good person who values life and empathetic but also logically rationalize situations both short and long term and factor in outcomes in a positive manner.  That's what a good person is and a great person goes beyond that has grit to make society and and everyone around him into better people and inspires people to become great people to spread that positive aura around them.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:35am
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Furthermore, I got my ass beat when I was kid and I didn't like the way it made me feel about myself. I vowed to never beat my kids, and I never have (of course they've been popped a time or two), but I try to raise them with positive reinforcement instead of negative reinforcement.

I love this.

Me too...glad this was said!

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

For me, Before you can be a 'good' parent you have to be a 'good' person, and in my opinion, this society doesn't teach you how to do that.

True.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

you don't have to be a parent to have an opinion on parenting...we all had parents growing up.  We lived it...experience is obviously another level but clearly there are enough sh*tty parents that it doesn't always say much.   

Yeah I don't buy that you need to be a parent to have an opinion either. Your beliefs prior to having children play a huge role. He said so himself, he decided that beatings were not his thing based on his experience, so he approached raising his child from that perspective.

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:45am

BHM parents, did someone teach you or did you teach yourself along the way? Would you have preferred if someone (either mom, grandma, dad, etc) guided you in raising you kids? Do you think someone trying to guide you is "over stepping or being disrespectful? 

I'm sorry, but I thought the question was directed towards parentsConfused

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:49am

The OP can comment on her intent. But there were clearly multiple questions in the OP. Even if there weren't that doesn't stop others from commenting, regardless of your opinion in the value of said comments.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 11:51am
i think you can be a good parent but not a good person… 

i guess a 'good person' is subjective though 

but yea I've seen it. 

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:03pm

The OP can comment on her intent. But there were clearly multiple questions in the OP. Even if there weren't that doesn't stop others from commenting, regardless of your opinion in the value of said comments.
Thanks...nucca got me re-reading my own ish to make sure I was clearErmm

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:15pm
DMV folks, there's a parenting show on NpR. There is an author of a book called "all joy and no fun the paradox of modern parenthood".

I want to get her book.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:22pm
Spankings didn't help me one bit. I wasn't a terrible child, just wanted attention. If someone would have explained why instead of beat me. It would have helped me immensely.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:28pm
Whippings don't work, there are a primitive man easy way out of parenting to put fear in a child instead of talking to them.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:32pm

Whippings don't work, there are a primitive man easy way out of parenting to put fear in a child instead of talking to them.
You can't speak for everyone. So please don't.

As far as the rest of the generalization, you can hurt a child without laying a hand on them by talking to them.

So… *shrug*

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:53pm
My mother beat us as kids.
She has since apologized and explained that in that society, that's just the most common form of discipline.
It came from a good place, it just wasn't the best way.
Technically it was physical abuse. As she beat me, she would say, i am beating you not because of what you did, but because you lied to me about it.

I couldn't respond back ( i wouldn't dare) but what I was thinking was, i was afraid to admit it because of
A: the shame i feel for doing this disappointing thing
B: afraid that you might beat me for it! Lol

I think I did admit to doing something once, and didn't get beat but got very strong words. I don't remember exactly right now.

Anyhow, my mother wasn't an 'abuser' though technically it was abuse. my mother was not a monster or an addict or someone who did not nurture her children. Quite the opposite. But in the Caribbean, beatings is the norm.

She recognizes now that it wasn't the only or best way and I can't have her feeling guilty for the rest of her life. I'm no longer getting beat, i see what a great parent she's been otherwise, and it was the catalyst for breaking that particular generational cycle.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:53pm
i was a friggin little rebel 

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

You can't speak for everyone. So please don't.

As far as the rest of the generalization, you can hurt a child without laying a hand on them by talking to them.

So… *shrug*

Belitting a child is also primitive because primitive beings cannot control their emotions and words.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:00pm
In this context, what do you mean by primitive?

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:01pm

Belitting a child is also primitive because primitive beings cannot control their emotions and words.
smh.  just stop. 

*walks away*

Date Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:11pm

prim·i·tive

/ˈprɪmɪtɪv/ http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html" rel="nofollow - Show Spelled [prim-i-tiv] http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html" rel="nofollow - Show IPA
adjective
being the first or earliest of the kind or in existence, especially in an early age of the world: primitive forms of life.
early in the history of the world or of humankind.
characteristic of early ages or of an early state of human development: primitive toolmaking.
Anthropology . of or pertaining to a preliterate or tribal people having cultural or physical similarities with their early ancestors: no longer in technical use.
unaffected or little affected by civilizing influences; uncivilized; savage: primitive passions.
being in its earliest period; early: the primitive phase of the history of a town.
old-fashioned: primitive ideas and habits.
simple; unsophisticated: a primitive farm implement.
crude; unrefined: primitive living conditions.
Linguistics .
a.
of or pertaining to a form from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/which" rel="nofollow - which  a http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/word" rel="nofollow - word  or other linguistic form is derived; not derivative; original or radical.
b.
of or pertaining to a protolanguage.
c.
of or pertaining to a linguistic prime.
primary, as distinguished from secondary.
Biology .
a.
rudimentary; primordial.
b.
noting species, varieties, etc., only slightly evolved from early antecedent types.
c.
of early formation and temporary, as a part that subsequently disappears.
< =text/> #threeRow{display:block; } #leftrqn{float:left;width: 35%;} #midqn {float:left;width: 35%;} #rightrqn{float:left;width: 20%;}
Relevant Questions
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=What%20Is%20Primitive%20Art?&o=100100" rel="nofollow - What Is Primitive Art?
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=What%20Is%20Primitive?&o=100100" rel="nofollow - What Is Primitive?
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=How%20To%20Decorate%20As%20A%20Primitive%20Country&o=100100" rel="nofollow - How To Decorate As A Primitive Country
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=How%20To%20Weave%20A%20Primitive%20Mat&o=100100" rel="nofollow - How To Weave A Primitive Mat
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=What%20Is%20The%20Definition%20Of%20Primitive%20Mythology?&o=100100" rel="nofollow - What Is The Definition Of Primitive Mythology?
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=What%20Is%20Primitive%20Recursion?&o=100100" rel="nofollow - What Is Primitive Recursion?
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=What%20Is%20Primitive%20Art?&o=100100" rel="nofollow - What Is Primitive Art?
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=What%20Is%20The%20Definition%20Of%20Primitive%20Mythology?&o=100100" rel="nofollow - What Is The Definition Of Primitive Mythology?
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=How%20To%20Decorate%20As%20A%20Primitive%20Country&o=100100" rel="nofollow - How To Decorate As A Primitive Country
http://ask.reference.com/web?q=What%20Is%20Primitive?&o=100100" rel="nofollow - What Is Primitive?
noun
someone or something primitive.
Fine Arts.
a.
an artist of a preliterate http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/culture" rel="nofollow - culture .
b.
a naive or unschooled artist.
c.
an artist belonging to the early stage in the development of a style.
d.
a work of http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/art" rel="nofollow - art  by a primitive artist.
Mathematics .
a.
a geometric or algebraic form or http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/expression" rel="nofollow - expression  from which another is derived.
b.
a function of which the derivative is a given function.
Linguistics . the form from which a given word or other linguistic form has been derived, by either morphological or historical processes, as take  in undertake.

Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English  (noun and adj.) (< Middle French primitif ) < Latin prīmitīvus  first of its kind. See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prime" rel="nofollow - prime , http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/-itive" rel="nofollow - -itive

Related forms
prim·i·tive·ly, adverb
prim·i·tive·ness, prim·i·tiv·i·ty, noun
non·prim·i·tive, adjective, noun
non·prim·i·tive·ly, adverb
non·prim·i·tive·ness, noun

Synonyms
1, 2. prehistoric, primal, primary, primordial, original, aboriginal, antediluvian, pristine. See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prime" rel="nofollow - prime .
');
Collins
World English Dictionary
primitive  (ˈprɪmɪtɪv) http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html" rel="nofollow -
adj
1. of or belonging to the first or beginning; original
2. characteristic of an early state, esp in being crude or uncivilized: a primitive dwelling
3. anthropol  denoting or relating to a preliterate and nonindustrial social system
4. biology
a. of, relating to, or resembling an early stage in the evolutionary development of a particular group of organisms: primitive amphibians
b. another word for http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/primordial" rel="nofollow - primordial
5. showing the characteristics of primitive painters; untrained, childlike, or naive
6. geology  pertaining to magmas that have experienced only small degrees of fractional crystallization or crystal contamination
7. obsolete  of, relating to, or denoting rocks formed in or before the Palaeozoic era
8. obsolete  denoting a word from which another word is derived, as for example hope,  from which hopeless  is derived
9. Protestant theol  of, relating to, or associated with a minority group that breaks away from a sect, denomination, or Church in order to return to what is regarded as the original simplicity of the Gospels
n
10. a primitive person or thing
11. a. an artist whose work does not conform to traditional, academic, or avant-garde standards of Western painting, such as a painter from an African or Oceanic civilization
b. a painter of the pre-Renaissance era in European painting
c. Also called (for senses 11a, 11c): naive  a painter of any era whose work appears childlike or untrained
12. a work by such an artist
13. a word or concept from which another word or concept is derived
14. maths  a curve, function, or other form from which another is derived
[C14: from Latin prīmitīvus  earliest of its kind, primitive, from prīmus  first]
'primitively
adv
'primitiveness
n

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=primitive&ia=ced" rel="nofollow - Cite This Source
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=primitive&ia=etymon" rel="nofollow - Cite This Source
American Heritage
Medical Dictionary

primitive  prim·i·tive (prĭm'ĭ-tĭv)
adj.

1. Primary; basic.

2. Of or being an earliest or original stage.

3. Being little evolved from an early ancestral type.

prim'i·tive·ness  or prim'i·tiv'i·ty n.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=primitive&ia=ahsmd" rel="nofollow - Cite This Source
American Heritage
Science Dictionary
primitive (prĭm'ĭ-tĭv)   http://static.sfdict.com/dictstatic/help/ahsd/pronkey.html" rel="nofollow - Pronunciation Key
  1. Relating to an early or original stage.

2. Having evolved very little from an early type. Lampreys and sturgeon are primitive fishes.

The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
Copyright © 2002. Published by Houghton Mifflin. All rights reserved.
http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=primitive&ia=ahsd" rel="nofollow - Cite This Source
FOLDOC
Computing Dictionary

primitive definition

programming
A http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/function" rel="nofollow - function , http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/operator" rel="nofollow - operator , or http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/type" rel="nofollow - type  which is built into a programming language (or http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/operating%20system" rel="nofollow - operating system ), either for speed of execution or because it would be impossible to write it in the language. Primitives typically include the arithmetic and logical operations (plus, minus, and, or, etc.) and are implemented by a small number of http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/machine%20language" rel="nofollow - machine language  instructions.
(1995-05-01)

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © Denis Howe 2010 http://foldoc.org/" rel="nofollow - http://foldoc.org
http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=primitive&ia=foldoc" rel="nofollow - Cite This Source